PDA

View Full Version : Questions about succeeding in this game.

Ghalion
May 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hey guys, I've played pso2jp during cbt, and a little bit of obt/release, but quit that march when they announced pso2 west was coming.

However I feel that either I'll get news about pso2west by e3, and if I don't, maybe I should finally bite the bullet and start up on jp longer-term. But would like to ask some questions about it first if anybody cares to answer =).

1: While played I noticed you pick a class, but you can class change (along with resetting that class' level back to 1), level that up, change back to your original, etc, a seemingly unlimited amount of times. Does it MATTER which class you pick first? As far as I could tell you could essentially be level capped for all 3 classes, and I couldn't see any pros/cons to picking one over another first. However I've seen comments like "ranger/hunter > hunter/ranger" or whatever, which sounds to me like it DOES matter what your first class is! I'm confused, help!

2: If PSO2 west actually DOES come out eventually, does anybody have any insider experience tips for making money (long term investment wise). Like uhh, some resource that is relatively accessible that eventually becomes hard to get after a certain patch/revamp and suddenly becomes valuable.. aka buy a ton when I can then sell later? Something like that? I'm horrible at making money in mmo games because I am too passionate a general gamer to really invest countless hours in just 1 farming stuff over and over... that and I have absolutely no luck when it comes to rare drops =(.

3: I notice that each race had their own starting stats, but they didn't look TERRIBLY different from one another, so I figure it really doesn't matter. But I hear people talk about race/class combinations at times as though they DO matter. How significant are these stats endgame? I plan on making a numan hunter (yeah I know numan's stat's are the worst for hunter qq), I'm willing to cope with less than ideal stats. But if it's going to be so significant that I'll be like autodeclined in endgame groups or something maybe I'll reconsider.

That's all I can thank of for now, thanks in advance.

Emp
May 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
The fastest way to gain meseta is to do Normal, Hard and Very Hard mode Time Attack Client Orders everyday. Just doing the Very Hard ones, can net u a good 500,000 meseta every day.

Only other good place is the crystal u get after killing Falzs body.

Zorafim
May 11, 2013, 05:26 PM
1) It doesn't matter what class you pick. You can switch classes whenever you want. I do suggest getting them all to 10 and soloing a rock bear, since that pretty much tells you how each class is going to play. What does matter is your skill build. There are generally a few skills which dramatically improve your class which you want to get, and many other skills which are fairly useless. So read up on the build sticky in the guides section to see what your basic build will look like. Also, your mag will make a major difference in being able to equip items. If you don't buy new ones, you may be stuck being good in only one class.
What people mean by RA/HU > HU/RA is that (in this case) a ranger with a hunter sub class will outperform a hunter with a ranger sub class. There's not much point in reading in to that for now.

2) For money, just do time attacks with friends or a group. With the client orders you get once every 24 hours, you can get, let me see... 500k + 300k + 150k... roughly one million meseta each day just from those. Doing all these require lv40, and you probably won't be getting good times in normal until lv20. But I highly suggest doing them. The money reward is great, and the missions themselves are fun. Time Attacks and soloing bosses are the two most fun things you can do in this game.

3) Race stats don't matter. At all. I'm a caseal, and level every class. I was able to equip a high level force weapon roughly the same level I was able to equip a hunter item of the same type. The only difference is how they look, and really, there's not even much difference there between a newman and a human. So go with what you think looks good.

poopington
May 11, 2013, 05:31 PM
How to succeed in PSO2:
Hit the wrong arms on falz every time and shock early, no one wants loot.
Sit around in the popular lobbies afking or chatting so no one can get in to join the groups actually trying to do something.
Rage about anti-social japanese players who don't like the english community and insult them in nearby-chat when they can clearly read english. Then wonder why they don't like you.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 05:34 PM
Hey guys, I've played pso2jp during cbt, and a little bit of obt/release, but quit that march when they announced pso2 west was coming.

However I feel that either I'll get news about pso2west by e3, and if I don't, maybe I should finally bite the bullet and start up on jp longer-term. But would like to ask some questions about it first if anybody cares to answer =).

1: While played I noticed you pick a class, but you can class change (along with resetting that class' level back to 1), level that up, change back to your original, etc, a seemingly unlimited amount of times. Does it MATTER which class you pick first? As far as I could tell you could essentially be level capped for all 3 classes, and I couldn't see any pros/cons to picking one over another first. However I've seen comments like "ranger/hunter > hunter/ranger" or whatever, which sounds to me like it DOES matter what your first class is! I'm confused, help!

2: If PSO2 west actually DOES come out eventually, does anybody have any insider experience tips for making money (long term investment wise). Like uhh, some resource that is relatively accessible that eventually becomes hard to get after a certain patch/revamp and suddenly becomes valuable.. aka buy a ton when I can then sell later? Something like that? I'm horrible at making money in mmo games because I am too passionate a general gamer to really invest countless hours in just 1 farming stuff over and over... that and I have absolutely no luck when it comes to rare drops =(.

3: I notice that each race had their own starting stats, but they didn't look TERRIBLY different from one another, so I figure it really doesn't matter. But I hear people talk about race/class combinations at times as though they DO matter. How significant are these stats endgame? I plan on making a numan hunter (yeah I know numan's stat's are the worst for hunter qq), I'm willing to cope with less than ideal stats. But if it's going to be so significant that I'll be like autodeclined in endgame groups or something maybe I'll reconsider.

That's all I can thank of for now, thanks in advance.

My build thread explains a lot of this but let me try to give you the abridged version.

1) Starting class doesn't matter. what you're seeing is a discussion of main and sub classes which is different. at lvl 20 you can essentially play two classes at once, but only the main class gets its full benefits, the subclass only donates a portion of what it has. You can change both main and sub class at any time though. The big difference between what you start as and where you end up is how you may have raised your mag if you thought you wanted to be a Hu/Fi and decided you'd rather be a Ra/Hu but raised your mag for melee when you should have raised it for ranged combat.

2) Money is hard to come by. there's lots of stuff you can do, but the real money comes more from luck than talent. Needless to say the best money comes from having a player shop, so you'll want to have one.

3) The only race that really gets the shaft is cast as they have horrible teching stats. Everyone else the stats themselves will hardly affect damage. What race will change though is whether or not you can equip the top end gear as it comes out. Lets say the best sword needs 800 S Atk and the best armor for melee needs 600 S def. Lets say that as a newman the only way you can get those stats is by putting points into your skill tree which takes away from your damage mods. Maybe as a newman even at lvl 60 in both of your classes you still only get up to 780 S atk but the casts all have 810.

Will 30 S Atk really make a difference in damage when all said and done the newman's S Atk is 2070 and the cast's is 2100? No, that's not even a 2% difference in damage. But that sword that needs 800 S atk may boost the cast's total S atk to 2400 while the newman is still sitting on 2070. That will make a pretty big difference. Same for armor. Getting to 550 S def for your armor is easy enough but breaking 600 as a newman would be hard and if you pursued it would have to take away from damage multipliers or base atk. End result is you get good armor but lower damage while the cast gets both good armor AND good damage.

The differences are most pronounced with teching classes and casts vs newmans, but it's present for all of them.

TL;DR: race stats don't effect damage much but the equipment the lower stats can limit you to do.

Emp
May 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
^I agree with the player shops but that is mainly late game when u hv stuff that is highly valuable to sell. For anyone who doesnt, TAs and Daily orders are the best option for money.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
^I agree with the player shops but that is mainly late game when u hv stuff that is highly valuable to sell. For anyone who doesnt, TAs and Daily orders are the best option for money.

To get little things sure, but you're talking about grinding TAs for days or even weeks to get the good stuff or have funds for proper upgrading.

Skyly HUmar
May 11, 2013, 06:27 PM
TA is how you save up money for costumes and or cheap upgrades, premium/3 day shop from fun scratch is how you get meseta for good gear and good upgrades.

Z-0
May 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
how to make money:

1. have a shop
2. find the nearest visiphone
3. go to the my shop section
4. spam "search by display time"
5. ???
6. profit!

right now I totally have 5 red yukatas, 2 white navs and 2 green yukatas I need to sell. :X

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
TA is how you save up money for costumes and or cheap upgrades, premium/3 day shop from fun scratch is how you get meseta for good gear and good upgrades.

exactly

Cyron Tanryoku
May 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
To add to this
if you do go west pso2

You shooould be able to get extra farming money

Unless they fix that from the get go

BlankM
May 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
how to make money:

1. have a shop
2. find the nearest visiphone
3. go to the my shop section
4. spam "search by display time"
5. ???
6. profit!

right now I totally have 5 red yukatas, 2 white navs and 2 green yukatas I need to sell. :X

Do you default sort or just look for things on sale for literally minimum price? Also do you look for things during JST time? I find it really slow during the afternoons in the US.

Zenobia
May 11, 2013, 09:59 PM
Whenever you do get to be able to do all the TA's with current TA's including you do em all you make 960k a day.

Z-0
May 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
Do you default sort or just look for things on sale for literally minimum price? Also do you look for things during JST time? I find it really slow during the afternoons in the US.

Default sort.
Works in the afternoon in US, but definitely best during JST primetime (although I'm -usually- in class).

Ghalion
May 12, 2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys, I learned some things, especially from Sociosaur's spec/guide thing (which incidently let me find that cirnopolis place).

Anywayyy.

1:
My confusion regarding class specs and such was completely clarified thanks to sokeytaur's guide though, so thanks again.

2: This I think I should have been more specific about. I should have clarified that I meant if PSO2 west ever does come out, and if its release is "behind" JPN's, and plays catch up over time, what kind of things could I exploit as the economy evolves. I specifically remember reading a thread here a few months back implying there was some kind of commodity or something that was relatively common before some revamp or another, which became extremely valuable afterwards (on a long term basis to boot). Are there any items/commodities like this?

I don't know much about this game, but from what little I know, I imagine that "Grinders", while maybe they were never cheap, were far cheaper when the game was new than they were AFTER the patch that introduced "potentials". Unless their drop rate skyrocketed to compensate or something, but things like that.

Market camping is always a great way to make money, unfortunately I just can't stand doing it in any game. I don't play action-based mmo games to play peddler-craft. I might sell valuable things once in awhile if I get them, but that requires lucky drops. As for camping the markets looking for things underpriced to resell them better? makes me hate playing the game, and I don't play games to NOT have fun =(. Thanks anyway though, I know it's good advice, I just...I can't *cries*.

3: So basically, people say it doesn't matter except that it MAY affect what you can wear, which DOES matter...But only if you're in that small threshold between that stat range.. hmm. Guess it's specific to each piece of gear. But it certainly would be a huge shot in the foot if you can't wear something end-game that you have because your race is missing 20 of the stat required to wear it qq. By the time level caps go up, that item will no longer be as endgame, kinda defeating the purpose. But yeah, I have no clue how often, if ever they are scaled like that. Frankly I'm a bit nervous, I'll be unable to sleep for months if I get some juicy super amazing sword for my numan hunter that I can't wear because I'm not human or cast or male or whatever, and can after a levelcap raise, which also introduces a better sword after (doh!).

SociableTyrannosaur
May 12, 2013, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys, I learned some things, especially from Sociosaur's spec/guide thing (which incidently let me find that cirnopolis place).

Anywayyy.

1:
My confusion regarding class specs and such was completely clarified thanks to sokeytaur's guide though, so thanks again.

2: This I think I should have been more specific about. I should have clarified that I meant if PSO2 west ever does come out, and if its release is "behind" JPN's, and plays catch up over time, what kind of things could I exploit as the economy evolves. I specifically remember reading a thread here a few months back implying there was some kind of commodity or something that was relatively common before some revamp or another, which became extremely valuable afterwards (on a long term basis to boot). Are there any items/commodities like this?

I don't know much about this game, but from what little I know, I imagine that "Grinders", while maybe they were never cheap, were far cheaper when the game was new than they were AFTER the patch that introduced "potentials". Unless their drop rate skyrocketed to compensate or something, but things like that.

Market camping is always a great way to make money, unfortunately I just can't stand doing it in any game. I don't play action-based mmo games to play peddler-craft. I might sell valuable things once in awhile if I get them, but that requires lucky drops. As for camping the markets looking for things underpriced to resell them better? makes me hate playing the game, and I don't play games to NOT have fun =(. Thanks anyway though, I know it's good advice, I just...I can't *cries*.

3: So basically, people say it doesn't matter except that it MAY affect what you can wear, which DOES matter...But only if you're in that small threshold between that stat range.. hmm. Guess it's specific to each piece of gear. But it certainly would be a huge shot in the foot if you can't wear something end-game that you have because your race is missing 20 of the stat required to wear it qq. By the time level caps go up, that item will no longer be as endgame, kinda defeating the purpose. But yeah, I have no clue how often, if ever they are scaled like that. Frankly I'm a bit nervous, I'll be unable to sleep for months if I get some juicy super amazing sword for my numan hunter that I can't wear because I'm not human or cast or male or whatever, and can after a levelcap raise, which also introduces a better sword after (doh!).

It doesn't happen often except with casts and force/techer stuff. It happened way more often before subclasses hit, but now not as much. You also have to figure you may never actually get that drop that takes so much to equip. On the other hand, if you're playing mixed classes, like Ra/Hu, this can be a much bigger deal as you're not getting the better stats and bonus stats from the related class. Going back to Ra/Hu I could easily have over 700 R atk as a Ra/Gu and equip any guns I come across, but as Ra/Hu I wouldn't be able to equip my good guns until I capped if I were a newman and wouldn't be able to use a Holy Ray/Inferno Bazooka and an emperor axeon until I capped both classes and I still would have to spec for it ever so slightly. Meanwhile I was there already with my caseal when I was a 56/50 Ra/Hu without doing anything special plus I have fairly healthy R def in case new armor comes out that beats out vardha. So you're more likely to see those sorts of problems with specific hybrids. Still I say it's better to be safe than sorry

Zorafim
May 12, 2013, 03:07 AM
...for my numan ...

I love you now. I just wanted to say that.

BlankM
May 12, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mags are also going to 175 soon, so a lot of builds/stat requirements for gear could change or become more viable then before. We know for sure 11* weapons are coming also.

AgemFrostMage
May 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
I did the same =) The terms of service now bans those outside Japan but if this were a half-ass Sonic game it'd be released in the west by now. Sega is unfortunately dead in America and Sega knows it. If they take this long to release then they're probably changing the game too much. I hope it'll be up to date but we know that won't happen west PSU never caught up to the original.

Jakosifer
May 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
There is no succeeding in this game. Simply failing less than the bigger losers.

gigawuts
May 12, 2013, 12:19 PM
are you good at rolling dice?

To add to this
if you do go west pso2

You shooould be able to get extra farming money

Unless they fix that from the get go

They'll definitely fix it, but then not fix other things like actual bugs etc. It's a normal thing for companies like Sega to do exactly that.

Zeota
May 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
If you have a good understanding of how affixing works, you could make some decent coin that way. Non-rare units with certain pairings go for a good amount of money depending on how many slots they have. It might take a bit of start-up money though as you're bound to eat a few failures, losing a slot here and there. Knowing how to manipulate the system to one's advantage as much as they can is a good skill to have. :P

Dextro
May 12, 2013, 01:55 PM
If you have a good understanding of how affixing works, then it makes no difference, you'll still fail and lose money

Fixed that for you!

jiasu73
May 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
If you have a good understanding of how affixing works, you could make some decent coin that way. Non-rare units with certain pairings go for a good amount of money depending on how many slots they have. It might take a bit of start-up money though as you're bound to eat a few failures, losing a slot here and there. Knowing how to manipulate the system to one's advantage as much as they can is a good skill to have. :P

As much as the majority of the community is against this i would like to support this point for it's potential. Learning the affixing system can help you learn the value of certain affixes,affix combos,slots etc although they always fluctuate but it's good to learn to not vendor the valuable stuff once you have a shop. Affixing can definitely be a good way for making cash if you do it in large numbers for demanded equips/fodder . My only personal thing against it, as i am impatient these things usually take quite awhile to sell, and offer less of a cushion but the profit can be really nice. Personally i just stick to simple econ, easiest way to make money in my experience.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 12, 2013, 03:01 PM
As much as the majority of the community is against this i would like to support this point for it's potential. Learning the affixing system can help you learn the value of certain affixes,affix combos,slots etc although they always fluctuate but it's good to learn to not vendor the valuable stuff once you have a shop. Affixing can definitely be a good way for making cash if you do it in large numbers for demanded equips/fodder . My only personal thing against it, as i am impatient these things usually take quite awhile to sell, and offer less of a cushion but the profit can be really nice. Personally i just stick to simple econ, easiest way to make money in my experience.

Who's against learning to affix? And by that I mean who would advise against it? The people who are afraid to learn is one of the reasons knowing how is such a great tool. the issue is regardless of what you know it's still by and large completely based on luck and can be frustrating for people,

Zeota
May 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
Honestly though, one has to be willing to take some risks in order to advance past a certain point. Even if you go "boom", at least you won't have the regret of not having tried. Of course, there's much to be said about, as Kenny Rogers put it, "knowing when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em".

jiasu73
May 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
Who's against learning to affix? And by that I mean who would advise against it? The people who are afraid to learn is one of the reasons knowing how is such a great tool. the issue is regardless of what you know it's still by and large completely based on luck and can be frustrating for people,

Sorry I think i worded it wrong but what i thought people were mostly against was using heavy affixing as a main source of money making. Didn't want to say that learning the system was what people were against but using it as a large reliance in order to make a large amount of money. Not sure how to explain but more of pointing to the methods of people making money by creating large amounts of grinded x3-x5 affixed equipment is what i see more people are moving away from compared to the past. From my list of contacts people started moving away due to the odd shift of market prices due to AQ's and less demand, but now with tradeble 10*s some people i know are moving back to it due to the large markup profit present for certain equips.

Zeota
May 12, 2013, 04:42 PM
I don't think the market for it really went away. The way I see it, it's akin to paying the delivery charge for a pizza plus tipping the driver in lieu of going to pick it up.

MetalDude
May 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
+10 Latent Lv. 3 Soul + Stat Up III + Spirita Boost on weapons is generally good but a slow sale and a massive investment. Also, if your timing is unlucky around updates, you could get completely fucked and make nothing.

Zeota
May 12, 2013, 04:57 PM
Indeed... especially with Wednesday's update potentially replacing a lot of the current "best-in-class" equipment. Of course none of that matters if you can't get shit to drop.

MetalDude
May 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
A weapon with all of that will usually last you a damn long time so even a weapon that's a little outdated will still be pretty valuable. My experience comes from doing such with a Lambda Radeigle only for pyroxene weapons to be announced in the next week. My 5 mil investment with a 10 mil profit potential dropped to a 4 mil loss.

Units are much less likely to fluctuate like this, but I still can't help but feel we're getting some soon. Only thing I hate about the armor in this game is that they rarely update that and the number of real upgrades as you progress is horribly handled and the requirements are too damn high.