PDA

View Full Version : The what Sega is doing speculation thread!

AgemFrostMage
May 12, 2013, 12:01 PM
The PSO2 release is so long, and hardly any updates. Finally, back in April 10th Sega announces that it's late... but we already knew. Haven't heard from them since.

With that out of the way here are possibilities:

1.Sega of America working on "balancing" things themselves, but that doesn't take this long.

2.Changing the story from scratch.

3.Completely making a new PSO2 from scratch with American non-unicode instead. This would be completely terrible as I run pretty much everything with this setting on my computer. Need it this setting to watch downloaded Niconico videos. Download of course because videos can be taken down without notice, but that's beyond the scope of the post. The point is, new code or requiring people's non-unicode language to be English is unnecessary and spending all this time just to inconvenience players with different settings sounds... a lot like something Sega would do -_-

4.Best case scenario they release a full content update with original story, themes, and references intact. But... this isn't likely.

5.Sega of America mostly focuses on a Vita port:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192076/Segas_video_game_business_is_still_not_coping_with _change.php

Says America mostly cares about casual and social games -_- Probably why games in the past decade have gotten worse.

Jakosifer
May 12, 2013, 12:13 PM
Smokin pot.

gigawuts
May 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
pooping

HIT0SHI
May 12, 2013, 12:21 PM
Out for launch

MoronSonOfBoron
May 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
Out for launch
What launch?

HIT0SHI
May 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
The year long Chilly Dog eating contest launch, of course.

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
Making sonic: 2006-2

Jakosifer
May 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
JAAAAQLOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!! /protagonist charges him in blind rage manly tears shounen beam sword villainous smirk

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 12:30 PM
JAAAAQLOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!! /protagonist charges him in blind rage manly tears shounen beam sword villainous smirk

SHOSA!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! /reaches out helplessly and teary eyed as Jaqlou will most likely die this episode

ShinMaruku
May 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
Sega is snorting cocaine.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
/walks in from back door

/tilts fedora

/puts cigarette in mouth

/lights it

/walks through crowd with both hands in pockets

/takes one hand out of pocket to puff cigarette

/kicks chair at the chalk board to make everyone settle down

...Fools.

/pulls off jacket and holds it over my shoulder

They've been fapping all along.

/shrugs and walks out

Jakosifer
May 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
Nah too early, it's mid season, where I just became the final villain. :0

OH HI X ^^ HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN A WHILE WITH THAT HAT ON YOUR BIGASS BEAN AND YOUR TRENCHCOAT FEDORA COMBO

Seriously Rock bout to fold you for that

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 12:46 PM
/walks in from back door

/tilts fedora

/puts cigarette in mouth

/lights it

/walks through crowd with both hands in pockets

/takes one hand out of pocket to puff cigarette

/kicks chair at the chalk board to make everyone settle down

...Fools.

/pulls off jacket and holds it over my shoulder

They've been fapping all along.

/shrugs and walks out

Omg ♥♥..

I was JUST picturing you doing the fedora tilt and shrugkun and come here to see this! LOL

AgemFrostMage
May 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
Making sonic: 2006-2

No... that's not true, that's impossible! Nuuuuuuuu!!!...

Jakosifer
May 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
Sonna...BAKANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA /mech explods

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
I'd spend 64 dollars and 52 cents on that.

gigawuts
May 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
pooping

with their butt

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 12:55 PM
Btw sega implements AC into new sonic 2006-2 and when you get game over you will have the option to buy extra lives with AC.

Sonics power ups are also unlocked by using AC to obtain mystical items to unlock latent ability (IE: the normal function of it)

There are 12 playable characters except you need to purchase AC to unlock them. You start out with only sonic.
If you get game over with any character aside from sonic, you lose it and have to purchase it with AC all over again.

Also, you only get 1 episode consisting of a few levels.. more will come out every few months as the game is updated.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
Btw sega implements AC into new sonic 2006-2 and when you get game over you will have the option to buy extra lives with AC.

Sonics power ups are also unlocked by using AC to obtain mystical items to unlock latent ability (IE: the normal function of it)

There are 12 playable characters except you need to purchase AC to unlock them. You start out with only sonic.
If you get game over with any character aside from sonic, you lose it and have to purchase it with AC all over again.

Also, you only get 1 episode consisting of a few levels.. more will come out every few months as the game is updated.

We only wanna play as sanic or k'nuckles tho.

So you'll probably start off as Big The Cat.

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
We only wanna play as sanic or k'nuckles tho.

So you'll probably start off as Big The Cat.

Fine. You start off with Big the Cat and you have to fish for froggy over and over.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXraiRdCOA

What goes on at PSO2 NA workplace.

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 01:08 PM
V*geta Is Not Happy (Parody) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXraiRdCOA)

What goes on at PSO2 NA workplace.

WHAT..................

post p'ccolo one.. all abut dat dangalang

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u104borpFbM

~Aya~
May 12, 2013, 01:12 PM
Sad N*ppa (Parody) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u104borpFbM)

Omg... this one os so great!!! Nappa voice

ShinMaruku
May 12, 2013, 01:15 PM
Mr Popo is a black man....

PrinceBrightstar
May 12, 2013, 01:39 PM
Back on topic: My guess is internally SOA was notified of the SEA servers and we're being thrown on those instead.

eharima
May 12, 2013, 03:18 PM
Shenmue 3 obviously

gigawuts
May 12, 2013, 03:36 PM
Shenmue 3 obviously

I bet shenmue 3 has already been done for a year but soa is heading up the international release and now they're working on shenmue 4

Mekhana
May 12, 2013, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uVKrm_iVg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uVKrm_iVg

Link1275
May 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
It's obvious. They're stalling for more time to screw up on the JP version so that they don't have to release the western version, and they can just go to making the next PS game and do another JP only screw up and kill the series.

SuperChoco
May 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
They're probably going to sync the western release with episode 2.

Not Really

FO-RA-HUnightv
May 12, 2013, 04:40 PM
we talk about this a little bit in our podcast, but some messages have been showing up to recognize english windows users and to display text in english.

One idea is that they will be making it international. We will go over this in Episode 2 of Ship 2 Block 20 on Tuesday with some of the data mined info.

Ghalion
May 13, 2013, 12:41 AM
Ill play the straight man.

Struggling to figure out a way to share the server across both NA, EU (SA?, Aussieville?) without having unplayable lag... Some joker decided it could be do e and refuses to release until it is.

ReaperTheAbsol
May 13, 2013, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uVKrm_iVg

This.

Off topic: JonTron <3

Punisher106
May 13, 2013, 09:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uVKrm_iVg

http://puu.sh/24FcG

gigawuts
May 13, 2013, 09:09 AM

This picture really can't be posted enough :clown:

edit:
It's obvious. They're stalling for more time to screw up on the JP version so that they don't have to release the western version, and they can just go to making the next PS game and do another JP only screw up and kill the series.

I actually kind of really hope there's a bit of truth to this - I'd love Phantasy Star Zero 2, especially if they handle it like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and put it on 3ds AND wii u.

Shadowth117
May 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
They're probably going to sync the western release with episode 2.

Not Really

Of course they won't. They'll release it after that.

Meji
May 13, 2013, 09:22 AM
Hahaha, this literally made my day.

AgemFrostMage
May 13, 2013, 09:47 AM
I just hope gameplay and content wise it stays the same with very few adjustments (e.g., making ice viable, physical attacks immediately do damage instead of giving mobs time to get out of the way instead of having to exploit their pathing)

Ghalion
May 13, 2013, 03:01 PM
Im personally ok with west being released with the same content jpn had when it was new, provided it catches up at a rate faster than jpns own development. If it never completely catches up but never stagnates either im ok with that too... Just kinda used to that system with the other two mmos that i play. Its nice seeing the new stuff in another sever and preparing for it somehow before having i myself.

RedRaz0r
May 13, 2013, 03:24 PM
Realistically, if they haven't decided to add Western PSO2 to the JP servers, then they are being stupid. The game is going to fail over here, it's off to a bad start with a DELAYED RELEASE before it even had a release DATE. So my speculation is that they are trying to get on bored and combine the servers, or they are being usual SEGAC and taking their time to make another failure game. A few people will play on the USA servers, and then they'll slowly migrate to JP when it's 6+ months behind.

Skyly HUmar
May 13, 2013, 03:26 PM
tbh i think it just got canned.

gigawuts
May 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
tbh i think it just got canned.

I'm honestly starting to wonder about this myself. The crossovers they're doing won't be such big selling points here, which means more effort on top of the release. The release itself is probably already perceived as being on flimsy ground, too. Especially after PSU, and recent Sega games flopping after release. They may see the money required to release it here as worth a better return when invested in something else (Which is the usual reason projects of any level of completion get canceled - not that they can't do it, but that something else will make more money, which would mean doing the project costs then profits).

Calsetes
May 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
One of three things, I hope:

1. They're going through and recording English dialogue for the whole game - really "doing it right" with the localization work this time. I know, I highly doubt it too, but one can only hope.

2. They're leaving the audio intact, working on translating the text, and maybe they have to work out a few issues, both software and "real-world" related - like, would the voiceactors from the Japanese version get paid more money for the non-Japanese version of the game being brought out?

3. They're busy stripping out all voiced features, translating the game with one unpaid intern without a proper knowledge of either Japanese or English, and is using both a Japanese-to-"whatever his language is" dictionary and a "whatever his language is"-to-English dictionary, to accurately simulate that "completely free-to-play MMO" style, complete with broken English that makes no sense and untranslated characters that appear as symbols that don't resemble any known human languages.

SuperChoco
May 13, 2013, 03:47 PM
At the end of the day, I just really hope it's on steam. Not because I want hats, but I feel it would be the best way for a wide audience to get exposure for the game.

Edit: A serious answer would be that it would be that I wouldn't be surprised it's taking this long. Considering the amount of VA and text, changing the F2P model, setting up local servers, and setting up deals with distribution sites... I'm not too surprised. I feel the localization team is only about 10-15 people perhaps even less.

Ghalion
May 13, 2013, 04:01 PM
I said it in another thread already but I don't think it's reasonable to assume they canned the project at this point. If you said that 2 months ago, that I can understand, but now?

The reason why is because that whole pointless useless announcement of "it has been delayed" (duh, we already knew this since ITD BE OUT BY NOW IF IT WASNT) automatically implies that it is still being worked on, otherwise, they'd announce "it has been cancelled"... If they were too scared to announce such a "bombshell", they would have said nothing at all, not "it has been delayed".. because just leading people to believe it's still being worked on only to find out later it was cancelled all along would make them MUCH more upset.

The only possibility that it's been cancelled is if they decided on that sometime between now and the useless delay announcement.

Quatre52
May 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
Just about every PSO game has been delayed....also, calling PSU a failure as an excuse to for PSO2 to not come out here is crazy, PSU did great while lasted for years, even more success that it kept making money after not giving us updates for months/years.

gigawuts
May 13, 2013, 04:07 PM
It didn't have nearly the players it could have if it was run competently - I don't even mean just having more content, either - and everyone knows it.

Shadowth117
May 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
It didn't have nearly the players it could have if it was run competently - I don't even mean just having more content, either - and everyone knows it.

Thank you.

EvilMag
May 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
360 only become financially successful because canceling your PSU subscription was a pain in the ass so most who quit didn't bother cancelling since it wasn't worth the hassle.

Link1275
May 13, 2013, 05:53 PM
I said it in another thread already but I don't think it's reasonable to assume they canned the project at this point. If you said that 2 months ago, that I can understand, but now?

The reason why is because that whole pointless useless announcement of "it has been delayed" (duh, we already knew this since ITD BE OUT BY NOW IF IT WASNT) automatically implies that it is still being worked on, otherwise, they'd announce "it has been cancelled"... If they were too scared to announce such a "bombshell", they would have said nothing at all, not "it has been delayed".. because just leading people to believe it's still being worked on only to find out later it was cancelled all along would make them MUCH more upset.

The only possibility that it's been cancelled is if they decided on that sometime between now and the useless delay announcement.

Unless like I said earlier they're just stalling for time while they wait on the JP version to go under so that they definitely don't have to release a western version. Then they can make another fail game release it only in JP and either sell the PS name or let it die off forever.

SuperChoco
May 13, 2013, 07:13 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that SEGA's handling of PSU wasn't completely terrible in the US. Most of the problems in the game had to do with the bajillion lobbies and basing the game around the PS2 and all of its problems.

Could hackers have been taken care of better? Certainly.
Should we have gotten content faster? Of course, but we only started to lag behind in content when a loaded server was only like 2000 people.
Did rollbacks suck? Yeah, but they didn't happen THAT often.

I'm willing to give SEGA the benefit of the doubt for the release of PSO2. Especially since the company isn't in a luxurious position like it has been for the previous games.

Link1275
May 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that SEGA's handling of PSU wasn't completely terrible in the US. Most of the problems in the game had to do with the bajillion lobbies and basing the game around the PS2 and all of its problems.

Should we have gotten content faster? Of course, but we only started to lag behind in content when a loaded server was only like 2000 people.

I'm willing to give SEGA the benefit of the doubt for the release of PSO2. Especially since the company isn't in a luxurious position like it has been for the previous games.
Yeah everything you just said made me angry. Any faith I had in segac is now gone. Your ploy backfired ironically.

gigawuts
May 13, 2013, 07:42 PM

Yeah but...

Actually you covered everything that would make Sega consider canning EN PSO2.

ShinMaruku
May 13, 2013, 07:46 PM
Sega may can pso2 but until you can sega they have you by your balls. :E

SuperChoco
May 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah but...

Actually you covered everything that would make Sega consider canning EN PSO2.

That was more or less my point. They're not going to localize the game unless it'll make them money aka an actual quality release.

Yeah everything you just said made me angry. Any faith I had in segac is now gone. Your ploy backfired ironically.
While I won't say the SOA handling was the best, their track record has been improving since then. Now, I'm basing this all on my experience with the PC version. I have no experience with the Xbox version so if that ate your cat or something else drastic, then please let me know.