PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about the den?

Punisher106
May 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
Last night, me and a group of people were doing TAs, and at long last, my newman gets abducted. When we got up, two of these guys wanted to just disband the party because of this. I managed to argue, along with another person, and managed to make them do the den, which we completed. But one of them just.... did not even bother trying, running away from my heals, etc. That person died like 5-6 times, and I nearly used up all of my moons on them. We all did make it out alive, but the two were like "WAAAAH WE COULD HAVE DONE 3 TAS IN THE TIME IT WOULD TAKE TO DO THE DEN". When I told a few of my friends about the abduction, they all said the same thing. "Why the hell would you not want to run the den?"

So here's my question. Do you like it or do you hate it? With how rare it is for me to get nabbed by the darkers, my mindset about not wanting to do it is like Abandoning a quest because a parallel world appeared.

HIT0SHI
May 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
During my 1000 hours or so of gamplay, I've only got abducted 3 times and I must say that is by far the best level i'd liked of PSO2.

On top of that, you need teamwork in order to survive the onslaught of hordes and bosses there are and you get to fight your clone and BE CLONED for other players to see on other levels with the CODE: CLONE. It's a shame the Den isn't radomized, but it's still bloody fun. The only reason I see for not wanting to play the Den, is if your not prepared for it, It's to hard, have a class you dont want to use for rare drops or you dont want to be clonend yet.

BlankM
May 14, 2013, 09:41 AM
Honestly, I don't hate it but the fact that its random sure probably gets on people's nerves. A lot of people who aren't premium likely do TACOs everyday, and some log on JUST to do them.

So I know there are people who find it a pain when they just want to get their daily TAs done.

If you do have a shop, the 4 photon spheres are pretty much akin to a TACO and a half when sold. And Den shouldn't take that long anyways. Its also a chance at Hunar's drops...which won't be that special once we get his AQ.

So yeah I really like Den, but I think more people would like it if it weren't just a random chance of ruining your day. Though I think thats really the point of it story-wise... I'd much rather it just be a quest/AQ and the photon spheres that drop at the end be random.

Bellion
May 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
Hate it. I get abducted at least once every 1-2 days and I abandon it if soloing. I've got certain team members that drag me along just so they can get abducted. Apparently, the strategy is working for them since I'm a "good luck charm". =w=

If I get abducted with a group of players that want to go through with it, I have no choice. I'd feel bad if I just abandoned them. I really don't have much of a reason to run them anymore.

On the mumble server for my team, you can hear me bitching and moaning when I get abducted. :D

Kierto
May 14, 2013, 10:10 AM
It's still my favourite quest in the game.

Requires concentration due to limited resources (no campship).
Somewhat interesting field in terms of design/atmosphere and with environmental hazards.
Optional bosses/areas with rewards (level 3 Rig/Agrani) or to replenish supplies.
High chance for PSE.
Dat dropship.
'Unique' boss getup (Clones + Hunar).

But RNG locked of course! GJ! Stupid how it often backfires and catches you just as Falz is announced or you're under RL time constraints and just wanted your TAs done (even moreso now that nothing of merit really drops there and no one cares about being cloned anymore).

Mekhana
May 14, 2013, 10:19 AM
I heart DD the only problem I usually get it with it is the wrong group/unprepared people xD

Shadowth117
May 14, 2013, 10:28 AM
The way I see it, the fact that Den is random is completely fine... the first time you play it. However most games with missions like that at least let you select them yourself when you want to after you've tried it once. With this, its always, always random which is really dumb to me.

TaigaUC
May 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
I like the Den, but it never happens when we want it to (been trying for months), and sometimes it's happened when we're in a hurry to do TAs and log off.

Ezodagrom
May 14, 2013, 11:03 AM
I've only been to the Den once, and want to go there again sometime (also want to record it, but I bet it'll catch me by surprise and I won't be ready to record it...if I ever get to go there again...)

Z-0
May 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
Great quest, but it's annoying because it will always interrupt you when the plan is not to get den'd (doing your TACOs, doing rankings (yes, you can get abducted trying to run a quest for Interrupt, lol...), trying to beat a record, etc).

NoiseHERO
May 14, 2013, 11:10 AM
-waste of time when trying to get taco money, seriously I'm trying to do something else that's already annoying, but the only way you can make money without premium

-all darker enemies = annoying + drops suck.

-More annoying than "challenging."

-did I mention all darker enemies? Do I look like I wanna fight ragne in cramped spaces and acid water?, or zesh in cramped spaces who lag teleports everywhere while assassins try to 2KO you(and fail but that doesn't mean I need that shit right now.)

-you don't earn shit from it other than being cloned, some EXP that I'd rather get from falz hands, and some ugly trophy that looks like anti-gravity diarrhea.

Du1337
May 14, 2013, 11:27 AM
Still... Its a pretty nice concept. I know everyone that got DD for the first time was like, OMG, whats this?! (Or u saw spoilers on YT).

When u automatic-pilot some TACO's it's understandable that its not what u wanted...

milranduil
May 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
As my team well knows, I had a stretched where I was getting abducted more than I was running tacos for like a week... and it was always solo >_> I have abandoned a few times for Falz and such simply because I knew I'd get abducted as soon as I tried to solo afterwards (hunar wanted the d I guess). Once I finally completed it, I haven't been since though I no doubt will be soon. It's a nice change of pace, but area 2 is just rather frustrating to solo with the continuous missile barrages

MetalDude
May 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
It's probably a nice quest...

But I've yet to be abducted after doing TAs for months. Based on some of the opinions in this thread, I suppose I could count it as a blessing.

Z-0
May 14, 2013, 11:29 AM
I swear solo has a higher abduction chance. Every time I try to solo TA, I get abducted.

milranduil
May 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
I swear solo has a higher abduction chance. Every time I try to solo TA, I get abducted.

That's my thought exactly! It's frequency of occurrence for me during my second abduction "set" I'll call it (since I couldn't solo for anything in a2 due to lag from missiles) was greater than 50% whenever I would solo...

Coatl
May 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
I have mixed feelings about den.

Den dives you guarenteed clones, which drop photon spheres. They sell for roughly 50k each so if you have premium or a shop pass you easily made back the money you lost from not doing TAs. The bosses often spawn rare, and rare bosses give a ton of exp. However, sometimes people are tired or have plans to go somewhere soon and just wanted to run Tacos and log off the game. Something like den happening at this time is really inconvenient for them, so I understand when people tell me they can't afford to waste time in den.

Lol one time the announcement for Falz was announced and my party was like, "Ok, we have enough time to finish this TA before falz comes up." Then we got denned. GG.

Walkure
May 14, 2013, 12:11 PM
It exacerbates the main problem of TACOs; 24hr time delay means that it's inefficient to make a set "schedule" for doing the event, since running daily will necessitate a later and later shift in schedule. Darker's Den is a great and fun event, but it throws on a significant amount of time shift since it takes significantly longer than a TA to complete.

The best solution would be just to have TACOs on a 21-22 hour cooldown, so that as long as TAs take less than 2-3 hrs even with Den added on, it doesn't interrupt a set schedule.

gravityvx
May 14, 2013, 12:25 PM
Den, best map mechanics & layout put into play thus far, has original pso feel to it. Only mistake they made with it is tossing it into the rng pool instead of just opening it to players.

EvilMag
May 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
Den falls in the category of bullshit difficulty IMO.

It's because everyone in the party needs to have the flag to get den'd. Since you're alone and only one flag is required its easy. That's mostly why solo and duo abductions have been common.

Punisher106
May 14, 2013, 12:29 PM
I might as well point out why I like it. I've clocked hundreds, I think over a thousand hours of playtime in this game, and I've TAed a lot. I've only been grabbed by the darkers twice, once on my human, and recently on my newman. I failed on my human, and scraped by on my newman. Personally, I like the idea of "You're captured! Break out of your holding cell and return to your home!" in a game. It makes you feel somewhat important, and if you've played PSU/PSP2's story mode, you know that you don't feel important at all.

Sayara
May 14, 2013, 12:30 PM
I could see why people would get tired of it having attacked them alot of times.
Then people like this one who never even gotten abducted yet makes me wonder.

Maenara
May 14, 2013, 12:40 PM
In my opinion, the abduction should happen during Advance Quests, not Time Attacks. Considering how Advance Quests are about elite Arks entering a quarantine to dispatch fauna infected by Darkers, it makes a much better premise to be abducted by Darkers for being elite than doing Time Attacks.

Z-0
May 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
I think the problem of it being tiring from being attacked multiple times is because it always interrupts something you're doing, that has some sort of goal and/or schedule to it. If it just interrupted normal play, so to speak, that has no cooldown or timers, I'm sure people wouldn't worry about being abducted randomly.

I do agree that Den is easily the coolest map out there, and the most fun to play, but I want my meseta or my record, and my 18% photon tree shifta is limited. <.<

Ezodagrom
May 14, 2013, 12:50 PM
I guess the problem of Den interrupting TACOs could be alleviated if it had a worthy meseta reward in the end (like 200~250k or so?)

gravityvx
May 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
I guess the problem of Den interrupting TACOs could be alleviated if it had a worthy meseta reward in the end (like 200~250k or so?)

100k would be enough, then it'd just be another TA with extra rewards(photon spheres, Hunar, high chance of rare enemy)

NoiseHERO
May 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
100k would be enough, then it'd just be another TA with extra rewards(photon spheres, Hunar, high chance of rare enemy)

Because it's annoying and takes longer than 10 minutes, I say 200-300k like ezo originally said is fine. >_>

gravityvx
May 14, 2013, 01:03 PM
You would essentially make around 200kish from the extra drops to go along with your 100k. I dunno, that sounds pretty fair to me. It takes about 20min in a full party and thats usually two of the longer TAs done.

Edit: then again not everyone has a shop.

Z-0
May 14, 2013, 01:04 PM
incoming:

not everyone has a shop
> doesn't realise you're not supposed to play f2p games for free

Shinamori
May 14, 2013, 02:49 PM
Darkers Den = Good PSE Bursts. If you don't mind a challenge that is, while dodging poison water. I got like like 4-6 PSE Burst when me and my team got abducted.

~Aya~
May 14, 2013, 03:18 PM
Hm.. only ran DD twice.. first time solo and second time with pt of friends.. Got it like 10 other times but quit out if it each time after killing gwana. I dun like it...

Cyron Tanryoku
May 14, 2013, 03:20 PM
Worthless and boring
It's just a Darker mob/code rush
The red water is easy as hell to avoid and the enemies are as predictable as ever.
In fact I think some of the enemies are SLOWER in the den.
Only thing you get from it is your own clone, which in it self isn't even that damn special.

I do it because the party wants to do it. It'd be pointless to leave and wait so I just tag along.