PDA

View Full Version : Rare enemies

Maenara
May 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
I find PSO2's rare enemy system interesting and unique, but there are two things that annoy me about its implementation. First, that there aren't rare versions of all enemies, and second, that rare versions, with the exception of Tranzexia, are largely the same as their normal variants except with increased stats/aggressiveness and a different color.
In my opinion, a battle against a rare enemy should be more interesting and out of the normal, and it could be done by changing the two things above. A couple examples I've come up with that could potentially make fights much more interesting:

•Haze Draal: Add two new body parts that it can grow, an exoskeleton and an upgraded tail. The exoskeleton would cover its entire body with black material that protects it and all its body parts with heavy armor that has no elemental weaknesses. Damaging this wouldn't take away from the main HP bar, but it would need to be destroyed before anything else can be done. The upgraded tail would give it a few new tail swiping attacks and one that allows it to pin down a player and drain life from them.

•Zoron Goraal: Allow it to summon illusions of Noir Draal, Burn Draal, Crys Draal, and Haze Draal to perform attacks for it instead of only Vol Dragon. Additionally, change so that when its shield is broken, it doesn't fall over, only spends a few seconds recovering the shield.

•Dark Agrani: Give it heavy armor and remove elemental weaknesses on everything but the weakpoint in the back of its head. Make the legs unable to be broken, but doing enough damage to them causes Agrani to trip.

•Rigshrayda: Increase the power of its jets to give it new aerial attacks, including one where it jets up high into the air and then does a body slam.

Wouldn't those make their boss fights much more interesting? What are your opinions on rare enemies in this game?

Macman
May 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
That all takes effort and creativity, something Sega is lacking in generally.

Plus it's not that much different from rare monsters in PSO1. The most unique one I can think of is Hildeblue/torr who shot out different projectiles.

Maenara
May 14, 2013, 01:42 PM
That all takes effort and creativity, something Sega is lacking in generally.

Plus it's not that much different from rare monsters in PSO1. The most unique one I can think of is Hildeblue/torr who shot out different projectiles.

Tranzexia has an entirely unique third form that Tranmizer doesn't have, that in itself takes a lot more than different projectiles.

Mekhana
May 14, 2013, 01:42 PM
Well some rare bosses have unique attacks and they hit harder and maybe have more hitpoints though Agrani feels like it has about the same.

Ever get hit by a lvl 3 boosted Crys Dral at AQ? *shudder*

Maenara
May 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
Well some rare bosses have unique attacks and they hit harder and maybe have more hitpoints though Agrani feels like it has about the same.

Ever get hit by a lvl 3 boosted Crys Dral at AQ? *shudder*

Why yes, yes I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_c4fMzAww

UnLucky
May 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
"Oh hey, I just picked up Slide End, I guess there was a Signo Blue around?"

Me a couple days ago^

MetalDude
May 14, 2013, 02:07 PM
It bothers me more that they still have the same shit drop rates. It's ass backwards to give terrible drop rates to enemies that already have very low appearance rates. Rare enemies outside of disc drops feel completely superficial to me in this game.

Requiem Aeternam
May 14, 2013, 02:40 PM
TBH I feel that they're isn't really a point to rare enemies. As MetalDude said; their abysmal drop rates coupled with their low appearance rates just makes hunting them a chore. Sure it's always a nice surprise to find one but that's about the extent of it for me.

Another personal thing I dislike about them is that they're only findable in Very Hard. I enjoyed finding rare enemies in PSO1 cause they appeared in all difficulties. That and the fact that you were likely to actually get rares from them.

Mekhana
May 14, 2013, 03:15 PM
Why yes, yes I have:
PSO2 - Special Survey: Floating Continent(AQ) | Crys Draal Fight - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_c4fMzAww)

That brings me back.

Shadowth117
May 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
"Oh hey, I just picked up Slide End, I guess there was a Signo Blue around?"

Me a couple days ago^

This^. Mines is so dark, its hard to even see them sometimes if you're not looking out for them and they certainly don't do anything special enough to make themselves known.

Mekhana
May 14, 2013, 03:43 PM
Would be nice if they were slightly bigger or had a special aura around them.

Link1275
May 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
Would be nice if they were slightly bigger or had a special aura around them.
PSP2/I style?

Punisher106
May 14, 2013, 04:59 PM
PSP2/I style?

Those were just boosted enemies. PSZ had pulsating white shadows.

I think they should have some sort of sparkling aura... thing around them, like with red items. Maybe even an audio cue, like when a rare drops. Why are they so damn rare?

Link1275
May 14, 2013, 05:41 PM
Those were just boosted enemies. PSZ had pulsating white shadows.

I think they should have some sort of sparkling aura... thing around them, like with red items. Maybe even an audio cue, like when a rare drops. Why are they so damn rare?
Yeah, but that's probably what sega would do though.