PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 What do you _like_ about PSO2?

Aquayoshi
May 17, 2013, 11:59 AM
I know it sounds cheesy, but dammit, this board needs a ray of sunshine.

There are so many other threads devoted to pointing out and complaining about the many flaws of PSO2, but I've yet to see a thread about the positive aspects of the game.

For me, one of those things is the combat system. Jumping adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay (I went back and played PSP2i once, and kept trying to jump), being able to manually shoot rifles and gunslashes in third-person shooter mode is fun (and rewarding, if you can consistently land headshots), and the photon art chaining on melee weapons lets you make your own combos. It has a lot of potential, and really, it's a blast to just play with friends and screw around in a free field.

That brings me to emergency codes. This game can spawn a pile of bosses on top of you, all at once, without warning. (This actually kind of happened to me in a Ruins run, only not all at once). It can trap your buddy in a Funji cage, spawn a Ragne (or worse, a Banther) on him, and sic Gel Wulffs on you as you try to rush to his aid. It can throw clones of your overpowered FO friends with maxed gear at you, then toss in Visbolts for good measure while you're trying frantically to dodge the Zans. And I sincerely think that's great. My favorite moments (and the ones that make the best stories)are when everyone dies hilariously; something, I hope, will happen much more often when the new difficulty level comes out.

Another thing I like is the customization. There's a good reason why the fashion thread is the most popular, long-lived thread on PSO2 General. This is a game where you can make your character your own, and show him or her off with pride. In no other game could I make a character like Luna Ralenz the way I want; in PSO2, I can. The customization is only going to get more and more robust as Sega makes new outfits, and the nice thing is that they really aren't that hard to get if you're willing to do a little bit of Time Attack.

...Anyway, that ends my spiel.
What do you guys like about the game? No complaining! I know there's plenty to complain about, and maybe the negatives even outweigh the positives. That's not what this thread is about, though! :-P

You're also welcome to share fun stories about good times you've had, cool people you've met, and crazy situations you've been in.

*watches thread quickly sink to the bottom and die unceremoniously*

MetalDude
May 17, 2013, 12:02 PM
It's incredibly well optimized, which is rather unheard of for PC games. Outside of some weird post-maintenance things (seriously, does anyone else get frame stuttering when someone uses a PB after last patch?), it's easy to run and quite smooth.

Coatl
May 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
I like the aesthetics of PSO2.

Jungo Torii
May 17, 2013, 12:04 PM
Gameplay. To me, the game has such good gameplay, but it gets marred by Sega's complacency with getting actual new content out the door in favor of fanservice-y outfits.

Not that I don't like those outfits sometimes, but it seems like most of the time it's all they focus on.

I hope that doesn't count as complaining :c

Z-0
May 17, 2013, 12:04 PM
Fluid combat system.

Creativeness of the Time Attack Quests (which begs the question as to why there aren't more quests like them).

Not Rappies.

Arialle
May 17, 2013, 12:06 PM
their unique designs and style...be it chars..race..monsters...maps... its not something you see in other games...

redroses
May 17, 2013, 12:08 PM
I love the combat system, aesthetics and character customization in PSO2. Also, I really enjoy the My Room aspect of PSO2. Oh, and I also really love the designs of the photon blast creatures and how they attack all differently (wish they would make more somehow).

Cyron Tanryoku
May 17, 2013, 12:09 PM
Looking at butts
Just kidding there are no butts

Everything aside from the way SEGA handles quest and RNG

Crysteon
May 17, 2013, 12:10 PM
does anyone else get frame stuttering when someone uses a PB after last patch?

I have experienced that as well...and it's not like I lagged because of them before.

@Back to topic

I like the character customization. It may not be a perfect feature, but you can almost mold your character in any way you desire.

I also like the dynamism in battle. It may not be the best thing ever, but it's certainly much better compared to other online games imo.

Aquayoshi
May 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
I really like the uniqueness that PSO2 has, as well. Casts have always been my favorite race, because there are plenty of games with humans and elves (which is basically what newmen are (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CallARabbitASmeerp), at least in gameplay and looks), but very few with an android race.

I'm not dissing newmans and humans or spouting CAST SUPREMACY or anything, I'm just saying that Casts are probably the most unique race by the sheer rarity of any comparable race in other games.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
They should help the female cast by making them look less human

Shinmarizu
May 17, 2013, 12:17 PM
The game is still fun for me, despite all the negative stuff and the complaining. (And yes, I am being sincere.) A few things come to mind:

-the times where an MPA goes completely nuts - speaking of which, I am enjoying the new Emergency Quest a fair bit.
-character customization: I enjoy the fashion element quite a bit, I enjoy what we can customize a lot. Sometimes I have the itch to create a Cast character just because I want to design one; there's a lot of interesting Cast designs out there. And yes, I like dressing up my Newearl.
-variety: as much as we lament how class balance is nonexistent, the foundations for building many different playstyles are there, and I like the possibilities, no matter how subpar they are atm.
-social aspect: I've made some cool friends on this game. Hope I make some more.
-story/atmosphere: I cannot wait to see what other story-related business comes up. I have always liked the Phantasy Star series, and I hope to get more nostalgia out of this game.

The Walrus
May 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
Combat, Character Customization and Time attacks (due to their similarity to how the original game worked in level design).

blace
May 17, 2013, 12:25 PM
Combat, like those that have posted, due to how fluid it is in comparison to others out on the market; character customization has more depth than most others that offer it; and the setting.

What other game out there sports a sci-fi/fantasy setting without having too much emphasis on gunplay or the mysterious art of magic? The series balances both without having too much emphasis on the other, although PSO2 is taking it that way with forces.

It's because of these reasons I enjoy the PS series, and I know this is to go against the constant complaints, but PSO2 is kind of detracting from that.

NoiseHERO
May 17, 2013, 12:30 PM
This.

[spoiler-box]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/GenerationMichaeru/pso20130516_020456_011_zps33f70c1c.png[/spoiler-box]

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 01:04 PM
The actual player combat itself. Not the balance, not the player/enemy interactions, just the actual control of your own character & the moves themselves.

Everything else needs work. Maps, levels, quests, client orders, enemies PA balance, class balance, flinchlock & OHKO being so common, skilltree balance, class abilities, real money restrictions, all of it needs a revamp. Other games just walk all over this in some form or another.

Link1275
May 17, 2013, 01:51 PM
The only reason to play this game at this point is to have fun taking down big stuff with friends from around the world. IF they ever add some mega-super-over-the-top challenge quest that pits you up against something that can send you crying to your mommy, then I can add playing that quest to the list(so far PS hasn't had one that I've played).

Sayara
May 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
The darker designs are amazing this season.
Not to say PS0 also had some sexy DARK monsters as wel.

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 01:57 PM
I found them weird. One was just walking legs with enormous hips.

Man I can't fap to that, what the hell.

edit: I actually find the design themes limiting here. Everything has to be a stone-y bulky looking thing, or a bug-looking thing. It leaves little room to be creative because they have an idea that would look neat, especially when juxtaposed with other things, but can't be used because it's not bulky enough or buggy enough.

Sayara
May 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
Our understandings of the appeal of the Darkness monsters are totally different. Those things and the huge oaf ones with the swords are so awesome looking.

PSU's darktype were rather meh for the most part :x

(I come from the past life of absolute LOVING the Dimenian type enemies in PSo1 probabyl is my explaination to my fascination of their designs)

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I adored the dimenians. I liked the entire assortment of the rainbow-highlighted solid black enemies, especially delbiters and deldepths. There was more variance there, with more color as well. You could say that itself was the theme, although I think assortment of enemy designs was broad enough that it didn't really fit in the same kind of categorization they're using for PSO2, which is just "make it a red and black bug" and "make it a red and black bulky thing."

Punisher106
May 17, 2013, 02:04 PM
To be honest, one of my favorite aspects of this game is the bosses. Granted, most I can't solo for my life *COUGHBANTHERCOUGH*, but the fact that you can weaken them by hitting certain parts of their body is a really nice touch. In the Phantasy Star Series, I always favored robot bosses. My favorite up 'til PSO2 was Vol Opt. Breaking the screens, busting those poles that came up, and eventually wiping out the four parts on him in phase 2. It was a really unique boss. Then along came my new favorite boss. Big Varder. An unmanned, fully automated gunship, letting loose on you with all of its cannons, machineguns, and rocket bays. It truly felt like you were taking on a powerful military force with nothing more than a glorified stick in your hand. And every single weapon it had was breakable. Falz Elder is also a really fun boss, it feels fairly climactic, which is nice to see, compared to its previous encounters since PSO's Falz. Breaking arms would disable him from using certain attacks. And it's always nice to see him constantly going for you, out of the 11 other people, because it made you feel like you were a true threat to the big sucker.

Some of the photon Arts are really nice, too. I feel like I'm the only guy who actually utilizes twin daggers. Yes, I got a Stray Blower and a decently leveled Deadly Archer, but Raging Waltz is a great defensive Photon Art to use. It's like Sonic's Homing attack, and makes you very mobile. Once you have a target on Ragne's brain, using RW will generally guarantee you a victory over the giant cockroach. Seeing other PAs making a comeback, such as Tornado Dance and Over End, is nice, too. Hell, the techniques are generally the same as they were in PSO1. Boss themes are great, and in an MPA of 12, so many things happen so quickly. You would take three steps, and something would happen, be it an E-trial, a PSE burst, or even a rare spawn.

Personally, I love PSO2, even though it can be rage-inducing. I hope to see my beloved Sange and Yasha, soon, though.

AgemFrostMage
May 17, 2013, 02:14 PM
I know it sounds cheesy, but dammit, this board needs a ray of sunshine.

There are so many other threads devoted to pointing out and complaining about the many flaws of PSO2, but I've yet to see a thread about the positive aspects of the game.

For me, one of those things is the combat system. Jumping adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay (I went back and played PSP2i once, and kept trying to jump), being able to manually shoot rifles and gunslashes in third-person shooter mode is fun (and rewarding, if you can consistently land headshots), and the photon art chaining on melee weapons lets you make your own combos. It has a lot of potential, and really, it's a blast to just play with friends and screw around in a free field.

That brings me to emergency codes. This game can spawn a pile of bosses on top of you, all at once, without warning. (This actually kind of happened to me in a Ruins run, only not all at once). It can trap your buddy in a Funji cage, spawn a Ragne (or worse, a Banther) on him, and sic Gel Wulffs on you as you try to rush to his aid. It can throw clones of your overpowered FO friends with maxed gear at you, then toss in Visbolts for good measure while you're trying frantically to dodge the Zans. And I sincerely think that's great. My favorite moments (and the ones that make the best stories)are when everyone dies hilariously; something, I hope, will happen much more often when the new difficulty level comes out.

Another thing I like is the customization. There's a good reason why the fashion thread is the most popular, long-lived thread on PSO2 General. This is a game where you can make your character your own, and show him or her off with pride. In no other game could I make a character like Luna Ralenz the way I want; in PSO2, I can. The customization is only going to get more and more robust as Sega makes new outfits, and the nice thing is that they really aren't that hard to get if you're willing to do a little bit of Time Attack.

...Anyway, that ends my spiel.
What do you guys like about the game? No complaining! I know there's plenty to complain about, and maybe the negatives even outweigh the positives. That's not what this thread is about, though! :-P

You're also welcome to share fun stories about good times you've had, cool people you've met, and crazy situations you've been in.

*watches thread quickly sink to the bottom and die unceremoniously*

That happened to me before in open field... on medium! It was actually so unlucky it was funny. I also fought and defeated a clone in a rappy outfit, was fun. What I like about the game must use other games to compare to see why I like:

1. In other games if you strategically position it says, "evade" then not only that but can punch the air under you to do damage! If I have magic I can hit you but you cannot hit me so why is the reverse true in that other game! Here however, we have the mechanics that make sense, if it cannot reach me it cannot hit me, but I can still hit it.

2.Very few things on cooldown and can keep hitting and plan attacks accordingly.

3.Wired lances are a fun weapon.

4. Hunter, my weapon order is wired lance/gunslash/partisan/sword.

5.I love the subclass system.

6.Have to work (maybe sometimes even too much) for EXP and progression, it takes longer to level than lower levels even with increased mob HP and quest EXP.

7.Haven't been banned for cheating for using multiverse with air pocket swing :) Heal while attacking? That so isn't fair! Well, too bad, I do it anyway ^_^ Besides, wait until I level techer and swap out force as a subclass *Evil grin*

8.Force and techer are fun classes to play.

9.Can use the third person to manually aim. Comes in handy many times though usually stick to autotarget.

10.Loads and loads of cute girls in pretty dresses ^_^

11.Can be a robot.

12.Cool costumes, though I admit many aren't that good but many still are.

AgemFrostMage
May 17, 2013, 02:18 PM
They should help the female cast by making them look less human

I halfway agree. I think they look too human but they should still have those options. More obviously robot while still being feminine can work well.

Sayara
May 17, 2013, 02:19 PM
I wouldnt mind a somewhat less beefy -CAST type caseal body.

AgemFrostMage
May 17, 2013, 02:22 PM
The actual player combat itself. Not the balance, not the player/enemy interactions, just the actual control of your own character & the moves themselves.

Everything else needs work. Maps, levels, quests, client orders, enemies PA balance, class balance, flinchlock & OHKO being so common, skilltree balance, class abilities, real money restrictions, all of it needs a revamp. Other games just walk all over this in some form or another.

Yes I agree on the OHKO part I press dodge when hardmode rockbear does his grab and throw... but I was rooted so couldn't dodge but had the reflexes to, and... had to repeat =( Then again it was 8 levels higher than my hunter so...

Real money restrictions... do you mean you need so many hoops to buy arks cash? Then I agree should be lifted, but otherwise it's a great game even without paying, though I would prefer a room, extra storage, and a couple extra talent trees.

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'd also like less-meaty caseal parts, but also meatier looking cast parts.

Actually, on that note, I'd really like some multi-gender parts, too. General boxy stuff maybe, or just androgynous meat parts.

Punisher106
May 17, 2013, 02:26 PM
I should also point out that the story makes you feel relatively important. PRevious PS games made you feel like a pawn, with the exception of PSZ, where you had no true significance in the plot. PSU/PSP2, everyone paid attention to some incompetent derp, such as Ethan. In PSO2, you're actually recognized. You have Persona that lives to kill you, and the lillipans and dragonkin trust you, the latter only working with the arks because of how well YOU handle the darkers.Hell, I LOVE the abduction system. You get kidnapped, and it's up to you to break out. And it's implied that the darkers are using you as a guinea pig the whole time you're in there, and in the end, a clone of yourself is running around the system! YOU GET TO FIGHT YOURSELF. I love that concept.

Finalzone
May 17, 2013, 02:38 PM

Random maps are awesome and feel varied.
Client order are okay and matter of luck. I like the progression bar on Matter board.
OHKO is basically yourself putting in bad position forcing you to rethink your strategies. Beating a lvl50 Rockbear with crappy armour and testing your own defense feel rewarding.

thematesV2
May 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
I would have to say the main draw for me is the glowy-sci-fi content.

I've always been a fan of brightly colored/crazy over the top visuals, (LOVED the special hack spell/ability visuals in the .hack games) and PSO provides.

I can't get into the gritty military themes, or naturalistic/high fantasy style games nearly as much.

Z-0
May 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
Random maps stop feeling varied after your second or so run through.

Kilich
May 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
Core combat, setting, story. I also like quite a few designs and the character creator.

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 03:03 PM
Client order are okay and matter of luck. I like the progression bar on Matter board.
OHKO is basically yourself putting in bad position forcing you to rethink your strategies. Beating a lvl50 Rockbear with crappy armour and testing your own defense feel rewarding.

Random maps are repetitive and small. They become very, very boring, especially since the actual content inside said maps is essentially nil because there's no reason to kill anything in them besides s-rank. Most content in the game is based around rushing to the end ASAP, and even if you DO stick around in the map itself for something what you're really doing is standing in one of probably just 10 rooms randomly arranged together - which are very easy to distinguish from eachother and remove the illusion of different terrain completely.

Client orders are boring, tedious, time consuming, and overly simple. This is not 1995. Being told to go and kill 80 dragonkin is not a challenge. It is not fun. It is not a test of your skills. It is a chore. It is boring and repetitive. It is especially irritating when dragonkin simply won't spawn, and there's no other way to progress through to another client order. This becomes considerably worse when looking at client orders such as the second 5 SP CO, which at release time needed 5 fang banther kills - which could only be found VERY rarely in forest or during the random fang banther EMQ. Find a rare banther? Tough shit, doesn't count. Bad system. Bad, bad, bad system, that's too restrictive and made in a way that does not line up with real gameplay (such as finding a rare enemy, and having it not count for a common enemy kill for some lazy reason).

OHKO-centric attacks are bullshit design and balancing. They are a lazy way of trying to make it seem like skill is required to accomplish something. Any idiot can make tough rules and say something requires skill, but that isn't the truth of it. Many enemies have moves that will flinch you, preventing you from doing anything, and letting you get hit with an attack that deals your max HP and a half because fuck it that's the number they punched into the database. This is a purely artificial challenge, which on its own wouldn't be so bad if it was consistent - but it is not. A boss will go between an attack that does 120 damage and an attack that does 700 damage at will, with some attacks dealing 1500+ if you're the wrong class (meaning you have a low def stat for that damage type, which is very difficult to account for all 3 stats because the game doesn't particularly allow it without dealing with grinding or buying skilltrees). "Stand somewhere else" is not a good solution. It might be a solution, but it is a very lazy, very boring plan to simply hug the edge and rely on range for safety because a boss has a single OGMWTF attack with minimal or very similar looking tell to other attacks. It's too easy to get tripped up by another enemy and most melee attacks have animations that are too long to guard/step cancel on a whim, whether they have flinch immunity or not. The solution is to constantly and frantically move around, use short attacks, and break parts in tandem so the boss cannot use its omgwtf attacks - this works, sure, but it doesn't make the design any less lazy or bad.

edit: Also, rockbear is one of the easiest bosses to read and fight with zero damage taken. It doesn't even have an OMGWTF attack, and is a horrible measure of your skill. It's fun to fight it with zero damage, sure, I guess, but it's also not a threat.

RagolianHunter
May 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
The make over shop. I'm like forever changing my outfits..like ya!

Actually this is my least favorite thing and I wish it wasn't such a big deal. I mean seriously it's nice to have but it seems as though this game is become America's Top Model or somenthing. Update 600 costumes and rappy nest that sit on your fucking head, really....like really.

Ohh and here is a new gun and wand.

Mekhana
May 17, 2013, 03:19 PM
I like not needing to wait around for a tank or a healer to get something done. Back in the old days waiting a hour for someone was normal.

I like not rolling against other people for gear and having exclusive loot.

I like the Boss fights that still manage to be fun after all these months without gimmicks and they don't last very long.

I like MPAs, PSE Bursts and some ECs such as a random Boss(es) appearing out of nowhere.

I think that's about it. Of course there are things I'd like to see changed or removed but that's not what the thread is about.

Seizure Bot
May 17, 2013, 03:41 PM
I like going into TPV as a ranger and nailing bosses and mobs in the face. Or weak points. Wherever. I take immense satisfaction with WB'ing a boss right on the sweet spot first try. I'm easy to amuse.

gravityvx
May 17, 2013, 04:06 PM
Let's see, I like the combat mechanics, the massive character customization, and.....

Aquayoshi
May 17, 2013, 04:16 PM
Random maps are repetitive and small. They become very, very boring, especially since the actual content inside said maps is essentially nil because there's no reason to kill anything in them besides s-rank. Most content in the game is based around rushing to the end ASAP, and even if you DO stick around in the map itself for something what you're really doing is standing in one of probably just 10 rooms randomly arranged together - which are very easy to distinguish from eachother and remove the illusion of different terrain completely.

Client orders are boring, tedious, time consuming, and overly simple. This is not 1995. Being told to go and kill 80 dragonkin is not a challenge. It is not fun. It is not a test of your skills. It is a chore. It is boring and repetitive. It is especially irritating when dragonkin simply won't spawn, and there's no other way to progress through to another client order. This becomes considerably worse when looking at client orders such as the second 5 SP CO, which at release time needed 5 fang banther kills - which could only be found VERY rarely in forest or during the random fang banther EMQ. Find a rare banther? Tough shit, doesn't count. Bad system. Bad, bad, bad system, that's too restrictive and made in a way that does not line up with real gameplay (such as finding a rare enemy, and having it not count for a common enemy kill for some lazy reason).

OHKO-centric attacks are bullshit design and balancing. They are a lazy way of trying to make it seem like skill is required to accomplish something. Any idiot can make tough rules and say something requires skill, but that isn't the truth of it. Many enemies have moves that will flinch you, preventing you from doing anything, and letting you get hit with an attack that deals your max HP and a half because fuck it that's the number they punched into the database. This is a purely artificial challenge, which on its own wouldn't be so bad if it was consistent - but it is not. A boss will go between an attack that does 120 damage and an attack that does 700 damage at will, with some attacks dealing 1500+ if you're the wrong class (meaning you have a low def stat for that damage type, which is very difficult to account for all 3 stats because the game doesn't particularly allow it without dealing with grinding or buying skilltrees). "Stand somewhere else" is not a good solution. It might be a solution, but it is a very lazy, very boring plan to simply hug the edge and rely on range for safety because a boss has a single OGMWTF attack with minimal or very similar looking tell to other attacks. It's too easy to get tripped up by another enemy and most melee attacks have animations that are too long to guard/step cancel on a whim, whether they have flinch immunity or not. The solution is to constantly and frantically move around, use short attacks, and break parts in tandem so the boss cannot use its omgwtf attacks - this works, sure, but it doesn't make the design any less lazy or bad.

edit: Also, rockbear is one of the easiest bosses to read and fight with zero damage taken. It doesn't even have an OMGWTF attack, and is a horrible measure of your skill. It's fun to fight it with zero damage, sure, I guess, but it's also not a threat.

I think you're going against the spirit of the thread. Just because someone else likes something about the game that you don't doesn't mean they're wrong and need to be refuted. I really don't want any debates about Sega's design choices in here; sure, your points are valid, and I even mostly agree with you, but remember the no complaining part?

I intended for this thread to be opposite of the typical PSOW discussions about the game; I don't want to see it dragged right back into debates about what's wrong with PSO2, because we have enough of that in other threads. I'm not saying we should ignore PSO2's flaws, because it does have quite a few and a lot of them are quite glaring. We should talk about Sega's poor design choices, because they need to be addressed -- just not in this thread.

I want a simple thread where people can talk about what they enjoy about PSO2, something that doesn't, in my opinion, get discussed enough around here. There are plenty of other places to talk about what we don't like about PSO2.

Walkure
May 17, 2013, 04:26 PM
Game was pretty much described to me as a game mixed between Monster Hunter and FFXI mechanics, albeit a lot easier. It's a pretty good way of describing it, I'd say.

On a bullet point basis:

Combat: Melee combat feels pretty damn great. Active avoiding/defense is a lot more fun than tanking damage.
PA/Tech structure: PA design meshes well with the 3 slot allotment and their intended usage. The PP regenerated per hit encourages you to use your third PA slot sparingly, and instead has it best to use hit - PA - hit as a sustained damage combo. Or use step attack to just attacking your first PA.
Character Creation: There's a pretty dynamic way you can mess around with appearance and design. You can easily have it your way!
User Interface and Options: I can have a CHOICE between global focusing on sound, the fullscreen windowed mode is not only available, but built into the options. The amount of detail you can put into controlling your user interface, add in hotkeys for actions, personalization of autowords and symbol arts, and the relative ease of it all is stunning.
Job Change System: Creating specialized characters in order to run through the game again and unlock everything is a chore. It's especially obnoxious when advancement and unlocking things requires a huge amount of resources or time. Being able to change class rather quickly, with no identity confusion between alts, is honestly pretty damn great.
Freeform Parties: While some party compositions are more effective than others, they're all able to run through the game. Party gameplays are not forced.
Party bonuses: The spawn rates, the exp BONUS, and several other conveniences make it so that there's always an incentive to party up for events and play. It's a pretty good way of encouraging party play, and again without necessarily being forced.
Music: I love dynamic music in games, and the musical cues add on to the experience pretty well.
General Game Flow: PSE bursts, the music, and the nice combat system all contribute to a joyful and dynamic game flow, that makes it rather easy to play and enjoy for an extended period of time.
Current ease of gear: Advanced Quests pretty much made getting to the top end of gear pretty easy. The chain nerfs to grinding a weapon even more so, to the point where it only takes a couple rounds of TACOs on average to get a weapon to +10. Attribute grinding and adding abilities are a bit more costly in time and effort, but they're pretty much the cherry on top at that point.

jooozek
May 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
just the music

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
I think you're going against the spirit of the thread.

You quoted the wrong person mate. I was replying to someone who made a post consisting exclusively of disagreements with someone else, and nothing else added.

Unless you think that's going with the spirit of the thread, and defending your reasoning isn't.

Zyrusticae
May 17, 2013, 05:06 PM
Hmmm, okay then. In no particular order other than what comes to mind first:

- Character creation is excellence. There are some bits that don't make sense to me (why is there no separate waist/hip slider?), but there's just so much detail in there that it's hard to really fault it. There are other character creators that do individual parts better (Soul Calibur V and APB with the tattoos and scars, Champions Online with the slider/build variety, Dragon's Dogma with the realism and body shapes, and so on), but as far as the sum of its parts goes PSO2 stands squarely above the rest. I should note that this is particularly important to me as I've turned down better games simply because I could never create an avatar that suited me.

- The combat, obviously. I mean, duh. It's just really goddamn satisfying to blow away a crowd of mobs in a single blow with Assault Buster or Slide End. No other game really gives me that feeling, or even tries to, for that matter. That being said, I do have to deduct points for the balance being what it is (I can't even play with any melee weapon other than partisan anymore just because they feel so weak in comparison).

- Sci-fi/fantasy setting. Every other game in the co-op action RPG space is firmly entrenched in the traditional fantasy space, making PSO2 stand out for that reason alone. Even amongst MMOs in general I can count the number of notable sci-fi games on one hand (EVE Online, Planetside 2, SWTOR... and the rest are so generic or forgettable I can't even be arsed to list them). It's its own particular mix of sci-fi and fantasy that you can't get anywhere else, and I love it for that.

- The music. Yes, the music. It's not as memorable as PSO's stuff, no, and some of the areas leave something to be desired (caves in particular, though that's something PSO shared), but the highs are really high. I just love the ruins and sanctum themes, and how much things change based on the actual situation at hand. In fact, those two being the most recent additions, it's becoming abundantly clear that the composer is finally hitting his stride as he gets used to how Sympathy works and what it does to his melodies. I'm really looking forward to future additions in this area.

...Annnd I'm gonna stop there. Funny, just four points and I already wrote that much. I really have a case of typographic diarrhea, eh?

Valkyrie Lovrina
May 17, 2013, 05:18 PM
the Character Creation system

Echo =3

Patty

Fluid Combat System

great aesthetics / Sci-Fi setting

I only wish the game had a customizable weapon pool and class templates with customizable abilities like PSPo2+I

strikerhunter
May 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
I find the game enjoyable for several reasons:

1. combat system as many had said before. No half-ass useless box of attacks like many other MMOs have.
2. Creativity in character creation and appearance. By far one of the best.
3. ECs makes things very random in an outing, much more worthwhile when MPA is also populated whether in regular mission or EQ.
4. EQs. I like the special quest system, keeps some stuffs from being farm the fuck out of. Also makes that one special 30-40mins a time to gain a boat load of exp/mesta.
5. Some rare monsters have good alternated designs/coloring.
6. Rappys. Nuff said.
7. TAs, we need more quests like TAs instead having to be a boss rush.
8. Music duh.
9. The my rooms are is one of the best housing/room design than most MMOs that I had played.
10. The randomness.

That's what I can basically think of without saying what should be improved.

Aquayoshi
May 17, 2013, 05:46 PM

You quoted the wrong person mate. I was replying to someone who made a post consisting exclusively of disagreements with someone else, and nothing else added.

Unless you think that's going with the spirit of the thread, and defending your reasoning isn't.

You typed a huge post in response to... three lines. Disagreeing with your negative opinions about the game. That I didn't want posted in this thread in the first place.

I'm going to say it again: I don't think your opinions about the game's problems are invalid. I completely agree that all that stuff you listed in your original post needs a revamp. But I said, "no complaining". By complaining, you are posting off-topic. I don't want this thread to turn into every other thread on PSO-W, and I don't want to get into a pointless argument with somebody I frankly have no quarrel with and don't have any reason to dislike. It makes me a sad panda when that happens. :(

Lumpen Thingy
May 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
hmm lets see where to start.....good music, great combat,fun boss fights,some of the rng like room spawns and different maps so its not the same shit as psu,sub classing,and pretty good character customization. At least those are what I enjoy out of it

gigawuts
May 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
You typed a huge post in response to... three lines. Disagreeing with your negative opinions about the game. That I didn't want posted in this thread in the first place.

I'm going to say it again: I don't think your opinions about the game's problems are invalid. I completely agree that all that stuff you listed in your original post needs a revamp. But I said, "no complaining". By complaining, you are posting off-topic. I don't want this thread to turn into every other thread on PSO-W, and I don't want to get into a pointless argument with somebody I frankly have no quarrel with and don't have any reason to dislike. It makes me a sad panda when that happens. :(

I said all that because they're not plainly simple subjects, and I'm not arguing with you, but fair enough.

Sp-24
May 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
I like that PSO2 has a pretty promising, even if still (over a year since all the betas) unrefined combat, specificially for melee classes.

That's kinda it, really. At this point, I wonder when will I be disappointed with this stagnation enough to finally let go and leave.

deahamlet
May 17, 2013, 08:31 PM
1. Photon Arts. They make weapon based combat exciting and flashy just like techniques. I always am disappointed that no matter what you use in other games for weapons or attacks, anything non-magic looks very similar and the same bash them over the head thing. Tera also has some of this, but PSO2 does it way better, way more fun... and you get to choose from a few weapons rather than single weapon per class.
2. The look and feel. It's a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, I just find it very appealing and endearing.
3. The XP system. I do client orders to some extent (nowadays I hand them in on my subclass), but my fun way of getting XP is farming multi-party areas with 8-12 people... always bosses, always some emergencies, and we all work together without understanding eachother even. Other games don't give enough XP from the mob killing and no such thing as special events... and even if I do client orders, I just go about my business and then come back eventually and hand in. No "kill 20 of these, come back, talk to NPC, get new quest, kill 20 of these other things, run back to NPC"... Too much NPC walking to get XP in other games.
4. The grouping system. I can farm an area with more people for more events and XP and loots... without being in party. I can challenge myself solo or with the funny NPCs (or NPC versions of my friends, even more epic) to down a boss or go in with my friends. There's encouragement to group in a very... nice way.
5. The bosses. The whole thing with breakable parts is fantastic. The weak point system is thrilling as well on top of the elemental weaknesses. They look fun. They have fun abilities. They can be infuriating (omg Quartz Dragon I hate you for life), they can be funny... great variety to keep it interesting.
6. Emergency quests... hahaha. They're just... fun! The randomness is just adding to the craziness.
7. Cast females. Other games make female robots look like the male ones pretty much. This game does it right in my opinion.
8. Character customization. Also the fact that I can change little details here and there for free... like hair! but major changes are still possible with money. There's so many options and all the released outfits and weapons add to that. I hate gunslashes as a force, but I use one for giggles because it's an umbrella :P.
9. Options. Maybe some of the options are not as great, but they exist. There's options for weapons and they actually behave and play differently (unlike DDO for the most part)... there's options in the trees to make your character your own and there's subclasses... just lots of options. Don't have to always have the biggest... numbers. There's weapon choices, set choices, class choices, skill choices... and you can swap class for free anytime!

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2013, 10:07 PM
This is a refreshingly positive thread. Great comments. I wish more people would focus on the positive points like all the one's mentioned in this thread and lighten up a few levels on all the harsh criticisms and just have fun playing the damn game.

If a person isn't having fun. Seriously, they should go play something else IMO.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2013, 10:16 PM
Calm down, it's because the positives don't outweigh the negatives.

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2013, 10:23 PM
IMO the positives *do* outweigh the negatives.

The Walrus
May 18, 2013, 10:26 PM
And this is why MMOs still have shitty mechanics

blace
May 18, 2013, 10:30 PM
Which is also why developers keep doing the same as the next.

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2013, 11:04 PM
oh boy LMAO *smh*

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2013, 11:10 PM
1. Photon Arts. They make weapon based combat exciting and flashy just like techniques. I always am disappointed that no matter what you use in other games for weapons or attacks, anything non-magic looks very similar and the same bash them over the head thing. Tera also has some of this, but PSO2 does it way better, way more fun... and you get to choose from a few weapons rather than single weapon per class.
2. The look and feel. It's a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, I just find it very appealing and endearing.
3. The XP system. I do client orders to some extent (nowadays I hand them in on my subclass), but my fun way of getting XP is farming multi-party areas with 8-12 people... always bosses, always some emergencies, and we all work together without understanding eachother even. Other games don't give enough XP from the mob killing and no such thing as special events... and even if I do client orders, I just go about my business and then come back eventually and hand in. No "kill 20 of these, come back, talk to NPC, get new quest, kill 20 of these other things, run back to NPC"... Too much NPC walking to get XP in other games.
4. The grouping system. I can farm an area with more people for more events and XP and loots... without being in party. I can challenge myself solo or with the funny NPCs (or NPC versions of my friends, even more epic) to down a boss or go in with my friends. There's encouragement to group in a very... nice way.
5. The bosses. The whole thing with breakable parts is fantastic. The weak point system is thrilling as well on top of the elemental weaknesses. They look fun. They have fun abilities. They can be infuriating (omg Quartz Dragon I hate you for life), they can be funny... great variety to keep it interesting.
6. Emergency quests... hahaha. They're just... fun! The randomness is just adding to the craziness.
7. Cast females. Other games make female robots look like the male ones pretty much. This game does it right in my opinion.
8. Character customization. Also the fact that I can change little details here and there for free... like hair! but major changes are still possible with money. There's so many options and all the released outfits and weapons add to that. I hate gunslashes as a force, but I use one for giggles because it's an umbrella :P.
9. Options. Maybe some of the options are not as great, but they exist. There's options for weapons and they actually behave and play differently (unlike DDO for the most part)... there's options in the trees to make your character your own and there's subclasses... just lots of options. Don't have to always have the biggest... numbers. There's weapon choices, set choices, class choices, skill choices... and you can swap class for free anytime!

Pretty much took the words from my mouth 100% agreed.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2013, 11:13 PM
Do you even play this game.

gigawuts
May 18, 2013, 11:32 PM
things i like about pso2: things done before pso2

Alisha
May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM
fapping to my characters in the salon.....i mean...can a girl fap?

ummmm wand gear? wired lances? launchers?

the huge variety of weapon types? oh wait....

Xaeris
May 19, 2013, 12:17 AM
More on topic...

1. The combat. I've played a lot of hotkey MMOs over the years and most of them have been enjoyable in some form or another. But I've never felt very close to the action in them. Here, and in other action RPGs, I'm more engaged having to react to the enemy's movements rather than watching a combat log scroll by. The photon arts are flashy as hell, I feel slick as a ninja when I'm using defensive actions to counter enemy attacks and it can come together to form something that's actually entertaining to watch.

2. The co-op nature of the game. FPSers, MOBAs, RTSes, fighting games: online gaming is a competitive beast for the most part. Naturally, that can be fun and I participate in some of the mentioned genres. But I also enjoy an online experience where the goal is to band together against the nameless and faceless CPU. It's not hard to understand why there isn't that much of that; in a PvP game, players provide each other's content whereas in a PvE game, development has to be prepetually geared toward creating the next big bad. So, I'm always keen to investigate any game that endeavors to have a PvE focus.

3. Avatar creation and customization. This aspect of the game is derisively called the waifu simulator by some folks, but it's a very important part of the game to me. It presents the opportunity to play a character I would normally have little to no chance to play in any other game. How many games lacking character creation allow me to play a black guy? Or a black woman? How many let me play a man that doesn't appear as though he uses steroids as mouthwash? How many let me play a woman who appears as though she could swing that gigantic sword around like a cardboard tube?

I don't really have anything against ~30 year old white guy with a stubble #3415, but these are characters that would normally never have their stories told. Given a robust opportunity to do it myself, you're damn right I'm going to appreciate it.

oratank
May 19, 2013, 12:17 AM
compare to orther most mmo game content :
fancy middle ages (boring)
knight : steel fancy armor (boring)
weapon : steel fancy sword, axe, Archer, musket (they all look same to me still iron boring)
quest : run around the world to find someone and go back to where u came from (wtf)
special attack : did u think that just 1 slash with fancy aura can call speacial attack
combat sys : wtf i hit u right in the face and miss! .oh what i can't doge
ultra hard grinding

ok pso doesn't have those content above .i like it

ShadowDragon28
May 19, 2013, 12:24 AM
Yes Rock Eastwood. I do play PSO2. For the most part I enjoy it very much.

I do wish I could kill Dudu though.

PSO2 is one of the best dungeon crawler hack-n-slash games I've ever played in many years IMO

Like my Sig says:
"I'm a man of simple pleasures, and as long as I get to stab the blazes out of something, I'm pretty content."

Zyrusticae
May 19, 2013, 12:52 AM
And this is why MMOs still have shitty mechanics
No, they still have shitty mechanics because of a combination of risk-averse publishers and massive investment capital required to build these incredibly expensive games creating equally risk-averse developers.

It's abundantly obvious that the customer base does not favor the same old tried-and-true MMO mechanics by the simple fact that every WoW clone out there inevitably suffers from a massive decline in subscriptions after the first month is over. Well, either that, or most of WoW's competitors really, really suck at cloning WoW (hey, it happens).

It should be noted that Korean MMO developers are actually doing a LOT of innovation in the MMO space, with hugely varying results. They can actually afford to do this because the MMO market in Asia is ENORMOUS compared to the MMO market in the western hemisphere. We're talking orders of magnitude differences here. It's just that much easier to take risks when you know you're going to be raking in millions anyways.

At any rate, PSO2 is thankfully one of the games that does NOT crib blindly from other MMOs and does its own thing, with, well, varying results. The only things I can actually say it's nabbed from standard MMOs are the client order structure and the skill tree system, but that's honestly about it. This can be considered for better or for worse depending on how many MMO features you're attached to, but I, for one, really appreciate them doing their own thing, regardless of whether or not they hit or miss their targets.

That doesn't excuse them from failing to iterate on what they've already released, mind you. It just softens the blow somewhat. But no matter what you guys say, I'm still looking forward to Episode 2, and I'm still playing the bloody game right now.

3. Avatar creation and customization. This aspect of the game is derisively called the waifu simulator by some folks, but it's a very important part of the game to me. It presents the opportunity to play a character I would normally have little to no chance to play in any other game. How many games lacking character creation allow me to play a black guy? Or a black woman? How many let me play a man that doesn't appear as though he uses steroids as mouthwash? How many let me play a woman who appears as though she could swing that gigantic sword around like a cardboard tube?

I don't really have anything against ~30 year old white guy with a stubble #3415, but these are characters that would normally never have their stories told. Given a robust opportunity to do it myself, you're damn right I'm going to appreciate it.
YES. This, exactly, in its entirety. This is a huge part of the appeal of the game for me, and is one of the first things I look for in a game - any game. It's just really hard for me to get into a game when I don't feel any attachment to the characters whatsoever. PSO2 is one of those few games that really gets me attached to my characters in a way few others can, and I will freely admit that good character creation alone can get me to overlook many flaws (like it did with APB - though I eventually got sick of it, heh).

To be fair, for big-budget single-player games with a particular main character, their hands are pretty much tied as their publishers will generally refuse to allow the devs to take risks in that area. But this is why character creation is so useful - you don't have to worry about alienating the "average Joe" with an unusual choice of protagonist, since they can just make their own (though even then, over 60% of the player base generally sticks with a preset - at least in Mass Effect's case, which may or may not be a good benchmark for everything else). Things that are just unmarketable can finally see some appreciation thanks to this technology, when they ordinarily wouldn't ever show up in any major media production in the entire history of the human race. I mean, come on, just look at Teranu and tell me, do you expect to ever see her as a lead in any big-budget production, ever, in all of mankind's history? It just wouldn't happen!

Hell, my characters themselves are pretty unpopular - it wasn't until I made Liza that people actually started really commenting on any of them in a positive light: though there are a few who appreciate Aiza or Teranu for their quirks, most people just don't find them appealing, and that's exactly what I want. What's the point of character creation if I don't get to make off-the-wall characters who'd never show up anywhere else? It's just too perfect. Too damn perfect.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, and SEGA totally nailed this aspect of the game. Well, except for a few points... heh. Can't all be perfect.

MetalDude
May 19, 2013, 12:58 AM
The positives outweigh the negatives initially but the problems just become blatantly obvious down the road. For me, it comes down to what Ep. 2 addresses.

Zyrusticae
May 19, 2013, 01:06 AM
Yeah okay guys, if the negatives outweigh the positives for you please GTFO of this thread.

You don't even have anything else to contribute here anyways.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2013, 01:34 AM
Yeah okay guys, if the negatives outweigh the positives for you please GTFO of this thread.

How to make a post that'll ironically backfire and attract the complete opposite kinds of replies you want.

MetalDude
May 19, 2013, 01:41 AM
I'm more bothered that someone took this thread as an opportunity to be largely condescending on people who have qualms with the game. The idea is to state positives, not tell people who have issues with the game that they're wrong.

Xaeris
May 19, 2013, 01:46 AM
YES. This, exactly, in its entirety. This is a huge part of the appeal of the game for me, and is one of the first things I look for in a game - any game. It's just really hard for me to get into a game when I don't feel any attachment to the characters whatsoever. PSO2 is one of those few games that really gets me attached to my characters in a way few others can, and I will freely admit that good character creation alone can get me to overlook many flaws (like it did with APB - though I eventually got sick of it, heh).

Yeah, I put up with waaaay more BS from Champions Online than I would from any other game for this reason. As amazing as the Tailor was, it's quite a testament to how screwed up the rest of the game was that I gave it up. I still go back now and then to screw around with it, but much less so since PSO2 came out. The character design here isn't as good, IMO (PSO2 wins by a fair margin on creating the body and face, but CO just blows it out of the water in terms of clothes), but it's got a functioning game to go with it, unlike CO.

And I like Teranu and Aiza. I think I've said that once or twice.

blace
May 19, 2013, 01:48 AM
I'm more bothered that someone took this thread as an opportunity to be largely condescending on people who have qualms with the game. The idea is to state positives, not tell people who have issues with the game that they're wrong.
Threads like this were bound to happen regardless. Just a look at some of the other parts of the board say the same and will forever repeat itself in an endless loop.

Also, bacon. I don't have the type of mind to come up with anything witty.

ShadowDragon28
May 19, 2013, 03:44 AM
Sushi with bacon. That is all.

Julliz
May 19, 2013, 05:12 AM
-the combat is pretty fun
-although shallow, the room system is a cool feature
-it's easy to play while playing other games
-the customization of characters
-i enjoy the community for the most part

bradsta6508
May 19, 2013, 05:21 AM
-it's easy to play while playing other games
Maybe while you're just mag feeding.

IchigoPSO2
May 19, 2013, 05:34 AM
Funny thing is I found out about this game a week ago when I was watching random top 10 F2P videos on youtube. I knew it was in the works a long time ago but I didn't know that it is out and running for a while now.

The original PSO on dreamcast was my first multi-player online game. Played the heck outa that game till my eyes bleed. This game is almost giving me the same enjoyment I did back then with some changes of course. I wish that I can read and understand Japanese tho to fully appreciate the game (english patch helped a lot ofc).

Julliz
May 19, 2013, 07:09 AM
Maybe while you're just mag feeding.

oh, i meant it like i'm playing multiple mmos/video games and i am still able to keep up with this one. i guess it would be better phrased as: i like how it's pretty casual if you want it to be. didn't mean playing this and another game at the same time xD sorry.

BlueCast Boy
May 19, 2013, 07:38 AM
The thing I like about PSO2 is the combat system of the game, I like how you can customize PA on your weps to make combo but I guess people this day spam and repeat Over End over and over, Has also a great versatility on customizing your char which you like the most since I like Cast so much on the Phantasy Star Series (CAST SUPREMACY), Bosses are really challenging making it hard for me to beat on solo but now its time for a boss that wipes out the whole 12 characters away. And the thing makes me like about PSO2 is the community, I have really have with friends to play with.

AC9breaker
May 19, 2013, 09:00 AM
I'm really enjoying the game alot then I expected myself to be. Combat feels fresh and fluid and always interesting. The music and aesthetics of the game mesh so well and the random ness of the Emergency codes and emergency quests adds to the great variety so things don't feel too bogged down.

Ironically, I hate playing in Japanese but at the same time I'm also kinda liking due to the big nostalgia factor from Episode 1 ,2 and 3. Jumping over to the JP ships for updates and doing random C-modes with the JP, not really understanding each other but somehow finding a way to communicate. It was great. Some of the symbol chats are pretty amazing and hilarious. Makes me think people are using some kind of program to make them.

Alucard V
May 19, 2013, 09:43 AM
I love the combat system, aesthetics and character customization in PSO2. Also, I really enjoy the My Room aspect of PSO2.

She beat me to it.

But, I do love the depth of the character creator/customization in this game and game play it'self isn't bad.

Zyrusticae
May 19, 2013, 11:21 AM
But then everyone who's been restating those issues over and over and over and over again and then ignoring the premise of the thread by doing so YET AGAIN are basically just shitting on the thread.

Please don't shit on the thread, thank you very much.

Seriously, anyone being condescending to the people bitching and moaning endlessly over every part of the game have plenty of justification for being defensive when they're basically being told that they're wrong for liking the game over and over and over again ALL OVER THIS ENTIRE FORUM.

It's pretty shitty behavior, man. It's one thing to have legitimate gripes, but anyone telling people with issues with the game that they're wrong are only doing so as a reaction to all the bitching and moaning that goes on endlessly everywhere, seemingly without respite.

(And I still don't know why such people are still on the forum. It's absurd.)

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
But then everyone who's been restating those issues over and over and over and over again and then ignoring the premise of the thread by doing so YET AGAIN are basically just shitting on the thread.

Please don't shit on the thread, thank you very much.

Actually that was already taken care of, early in, from what I skimmed.

It's the people being over defense about the topic and re-stating it again themselves that are asking to have the game attacked negetive again/derail the thread further.

You're playing the de-rail game yourself by trying to take advantage of being in the right and spitefully taking a chance to say "stop complaining!" just because you couldn't get away with it in other threads.

edit: and then you edited your post to be even more emotional. This is why you're a huge troll target.

gigawuts
May 19, 2013, 11:30 AM
Zyru stop being off topic. Whining about whiners is bad, but when people are merely defending their opinion it's not even whining - but whining about it happening is still whining.

Get back on topic pls.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2013, 11:33 AM
Zyru stop being off topic. Whining about whiners is bad, but when people are merely defending their opinion it's not even whining - but whining about it happening is still whining.

Get back on topic pls.

Nilla get out, I'm the hero of this thread. D<

gigawuts
May 19, 2013, 11:33 AM
Deal w/ it I guess.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2013, 11:34 AM
Oh so you think I'm just a bitch you can slap about? D<

Zyrusticae
May 19, 2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah, okay, maybe when posters like this

I like that PSO2 has a pretty promising, even if still (over a year since all the betas) unrefined combat, specificially for melee classes.

That's kinda it, really. At this point, I wonder when will I be disappointed with this stagnation enough to finally let go and leave.
Finally take the hint and just GTFO, I'll shut up about it.

There is something seriously wrong with this behavior, man.

MetalDude
May 19, 2013, 11:35 AM
My point was that his post was already off topic and was using this thread as an excuse to spout off on how everyone is wrong, thus causing people to get defensive on their complaints with the game.

jooozek
May 19, 2013, 11:37 AM
talk about obsession

Ezodagrom
May 19, 2013, 12:00 PM
...The neverending complaining and complaining about complaining...

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/5448/railguns2.gif

Anyway, I like pso2, it has flaws, but they're not enough to ruin my enjoyment.

NoiseHERO
May 19, 2013, 12:03 PM
...The neverending complaining and complaining about complaining...

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/5448/railguns2.gif

Anyway, I like pso2, it has flaws, but they're not enough to ruin my enjoyment.

Nuhuh don't add the third step + unfunny animated gif, D<

That's when you make things complicated and become the 4th step yourself.

Yo judgement ain't betta than no ones, you betta step. D<

MetalDude
May 19, 2013, 12:05 PM
I like step attack.

gigawuts
May 19, 2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah, okay, maybe when posters like this

Finally take the hint and just GTFO, I'll shut up about it.

There is something seriously wrong with this behavior, man.

I read that as more optimistic than just blatantly negative, myself. He thinks there's room for improvement, but wonders if he'll eventually just say F it if they never seek out that improvement.

Really, I think that describes most of us here. Some of us just enjoy more parts than others. The character creation is one pretty good thing I forgot to mention, and the combat & player control is good, but the rest seems like a hollow imitation of whatever else is working in other games. Sure, it's alright in those games, but that's never really what PS sold itself on and the mish-mash just seems disorganized (especially when an organized formula has already succeeded in the PS series itself). They might be looking to change that, but that doesn't mean a portion of the long time fans will necessarily like what they do.

Which, really, is what sequels are all about in general. A sequel has to change enough to entice a wider playerbase, but not necessarily while retaining the older fans. Retaining the older fans is usually an "easy" thing to do, just bring in what made the first game successful. The problem is, with their recurring horrible design decisions in the first release of each online PS title, I'm wondering if they even understand what it is most of the players have always enjoyed the most in online PS games.

Ezodagrom
Nuhuh don't add the third step + unfunny animated gif, D<

That's when you make things complicated and become the 4th step yourself.

Yo judgement ain't betta than no ones, you betta step. D<
Just wanted an excuse to post that gif somewhere...

Okay...I won't add anything more to the "discussion"... :<

Meyfei
What do i like about PSO2? Same thing as this guy i guess

http://puu.sh/2WJbi.jpg

Cypher_9
May 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
PSO2 to me have brought a variety of things: most have pointed how how original, how varied this game is within its concepts. One of the things I like about it is how these classes can be paired up in the way that they can.

Despite the mainstream builds people follow, the game provides that opportunity to become 'something different' - more so over in becoming your own 'individual' within the aspect. I like the fact that I can choose daggers; the fact i can be a defensive build cause I was simply given that choice. Its the very flexibility the game provides that makes me enjoy it even more so aside from being a fan of it in my own beginnings.

That and the Autowords... I definitely loved this feature - it puts my creativity to the test aside from the creativity given through the class building.

Jakosifer
May 19, 2013, 12:32 PM
I like Serafi

BIG OLAF
May 19, 2013, 12:54 PM
Everything except how many of the core mechanics of the game revolve around automated dice rolls and coin flips.

ShadowDragon28
May 19, 2013, 05:34 PM
I LOVE the new limited time Wind&Rain Urgent Quest....

Lebensohl
May 19, 2013, 06:24 PM
Keep in mind I come from a nexon background x.x

I like how F2P it is, you can get the best of everything without ever spending a single dollar (of course, money will be an issue without a shop pass), and how if you do spend money, the rewards are pretty nice.

I also like how they handled dudu, although affixing percentages is probably the biggest scam I've seen, there is a maximum grind level (that is feasily obtainable), and failure doesn't have a chance in loss of the item you are grinding.

I also really like the Time attacks and the challenge level of soloing areas

Aquayoshi
May 19, 2013, 10:13 PM
Keep in mind I come from a nexon background x.x

I like how F2P it is, you can get the best of everything without ever spending a single dollar (of course, money will be an issue without a shop pass), and how if you do spend money, the rewards are pretty nice.

I also like how they handled dudu, although affixing percentages is probably the biggest scam I've seen, there is a maximum grind level (that is feasily obtainable), and failure doesn't have a chance in loss of the item you are grinding.

I also really like the Time attacks and the challenge level of soloing areas

Dunno if you've played it, but I remember in Mabinogi how you could totally destroy your item if you failed at enhancing it with Red/Blue Stones. Or how blacksmiths could break your favorite weapon's durability (LOLFerghus). Failing at enchanting could destroy your weapons pretty quick, too...

I'm glad there's no such thing as durability or item destroying in PSO2.

Skyly HUmar
May 20, 2013, 12:26 AM
i like how fluid the gameplay is. I like how you can avoid anything as long as you see it coming. (not saying theres really any single thing thats hard to avoid).

AgemFrostMage
May 31, 2013, 01:10 PM
Can click through the introduction screens many games force you to sit awhile through them. It is a fast and easy logging in. While it seems like the difficulty tiers seem like lazy game design by forcing a player to repeat old content with stronger enemies instead of new planets it really puts a new spin on the old levels. So the hard strategy doesn't work on very hard, so destroying the Gwahada arms this time isn't practical for example.

charliewu
May 31, 2013, 01:49 PM
I Love the combat system.

Aslinng
May 31, 2013, 04:31 PM
Like many of you, I like Pso 2 for its gameplay.
I tested many other mmorpgs and they never tried to do something different.
They usually tried to copy World of Warcraft gameplay with some improvements but not as good though.

For me, Pso 2 is the improvement of World of warcraft gameplay because of the freedom you've with your character. WoW has something similar too but it's an old game so its gameplay couldn't have been heavely improved without remaking a totally new game.

So I love how in this game, you can avoid attacks and not just tank and spank bosses. Also the ennemies IA is nice, they also can avoid your attack! So rare, lol.

In the end, usually if you die in Pso 2, it's because you sucked and not because you don't have the last top notch equipements.

JNMeiun
May 31, 2013, 08:51 PM
like pretty much everything. maybe many people here weren't around for pso ep1 when it launched on dream cast in jp? pso2 has been so much better in every way except for feeling mysterious that its obscene.
maybe people have forgotten the uninspired powercreep based weapons and drop chances on reds so low you'd literally have one in a million or even ten million chance to get some of them. good luck if your section id was wrong and good luck even knowing what section id you needed back then since no one had made a table yet.
maybe people forgot how there was literally no content other than dungeon crawls and rare finding?
maybe people forgot that quests didnt even really come into pso1 in any worthwhile form until around ep.2 but still were never that much different from more limited dungeon grind?
premium now also certainly costs a lot less than the sub fee in jp dreamcast pso1.
the graphics in pso2 are better and some of the music is better, rest being comparable. too bad there isn't updated versions of "a lush load" or "a forest cage" though.

it took almost 3 or 4 years for pso1 to get really good and another 3 or 4 to become absolutly amazing, pso2 is out only a year now and doing a lot better than where pso1 was at this point to be honest. given that, whats not to like?

Zipzo
Jun 1, 2013, 05:27 AM
Everything I like about PSO2 is something another game does better, just as everything that is "good" is as well, so I will just simply not list anything in an effort to be highly self explanatory as to how I feel about the game in an effort to "not go against the point of the thread".

Meta77
Jun 1, 2013, 10:49 AM
Then why post?
I love the combat. The fast paced battles of boss fights are excellent. Unlike stale games where you hit and the boss hits back while not moving. Sure they move back a few inches or something but in pso the banthers run around attacking you from every direction.
I enjoy teaming up with random people or the people in my guild. Its just a fun game. And I enjoy the futuristic setting.

Zipzo
Jun 1, 2013, 11:04 AM
Then why post?
I love the combat. The fast paced battles of boss fights are excellent. Unlike stale games where you hit and the boss hits back while not moving. Sure they move back a few inches or something but in pso the banthers run around attacking you from every direction.
I enjoy teaming up with random people or the people in my guild. Its just a fun game. And I enjoy the futuristic setting.

I felt it was worth noting.

Would you feel something similar was worth nothing if somebody asked you to describe what the positive features are of a pile of dog poop?

PSO2 is suffering unfortunately, and while I can appreciate the idea of being rosey simply to be rosey, it really doesn't serve much of a purpose. It's not even fun to try and compliment it, and if anything it just makes me feel bad because I'd feel as though I'd be doing it more harm than good letting them know that they're doing anything in the right direction.

POINTLESS, I SAY.

otaku998
Jun 1, 2013, 01:30 PM
POINTLESS, I SAY.

Yea say that to your own post plz. You just like go to a thread, doing the opposite of everyone else to grab attention and start a flaming war so you can be the center of it. I say everyone do yourself a favor and ignore him.

Back to the track : What i like
+Character creation
+Combat system
+Weapon not breaking on failure
+My Room/Team Room
There might be more, but i guess i forgot atm.

UnLucky
Jun 2, 2013, 03:37 AM
What do I like about PSO2...?

A profound chance at introspection, indeed.

Why do I keep playing? Because I have no solid reason to stop completely. It is free to indefinitely sit on my account, hoping one day that it will be worth spending money on.

Why do I play PSO2? Because I liked PSO, and PSU was bad. After Aion, I needed a game where players ranged from monstrously disfigured barely humanoids to perfect beings of transcendent beauty. The controls seemed like a good balance between consolization and precision tactics.

Now it turned out to be a total bore at every corner, full of both incompetent design and misdirected greed. Somehow I still enjoy criticizing every update and piecing together an optimal way for players to play in my stead, as if to spite Sega in some way.

So what do I like about PSO2? Well, most of it isn't actually in the game. But it could be. And I'll be here until it is.

Dan Maku
Jun 2, 2013, 03:05 PM
It's pretty much the best MMO I've played. EVER. And I've played plenty.

Porkmaster
Jun 3, 2013, 11:13 AM
I like the combat system.
I like the music.
I like Dark Ragne. He's a pretty cool guy.
And, uh.... Oh! I like bouncing boobs. Does that count?

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 12:02 PM
What do I like about PSO2...?

A profound chance at introspection, indeed.

Why do I keep playing? Because I have no solid reason to stop completely. It is free to indefinitely sit on my account, hoping one day that it will be worth spending money on.

Why do I play PSO2? Because I liked PSO, and PSU was bad. After Aion, I needed a game where players ranged from monstrously disfigured barely humanoids to perfect beings of transcendent beauty. The controls seemed like a good balance between consolization and precision tactics.

Now it turned out to be a total bore at every corner, full of both incompetent design and misdirected greed. Somehow I still enjoy criticizing every update and piecing together an optimal way for players to play in my stead, as if to spite Sega in some way.

So what do I like about PSO2? Well, most of it isn't actually in the game. But it could be. And I'll be here until it is.

It was around the time when I realized essentially nothing I enjoyed in PSO1 was present in PSO2 in any tangible way that I really lost any desire whatsoever to play.

Good story with surprisingly adult and complex themes? No. A vast array of items that offer different abilities with varying pros and cons? No. A collection of quests with different enemy selections that is essentially you moving through a board game, letting you try to optimize your path and learn a new layout? No. Enough neon lights to put Las Vegas to shame? No.

The only thing PSO2 did right was introduce me to Monster Hunter style gameplay. And Monster Hunter does that better.

Tetsaru
Jun 3, 2013, 12:28 PM
- Action RPG combat
- Tons of character customization
- Can play as robots!
- Ability to use 3rd-person style combat with guns
- New features in this game that are standard in MMORPG's (teams, skill trees, etc.)
- F2P so Sega doesn't get any money from me! :razz:

And, uh.... Oh! I like bouncing boobs. Does that count?

This. All day, erry day. :wacko:

BlankM
Jun 3, 2013, 01:14 PM
I came for the game because I loved PSOBB.

I stay mostly for the friends. Both in-game and personal.

As for what I enjoy...well I think the game looks pretty. The gameplay also has a lot of potential. The charm is somewhat there though it feels buried underneath greed. I honestly feel like SEGA has a genuine plan for the game that could surprise me, but until then I just don't want to be behind when it happens.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 4, 2013, 05:39 AM
- Action RPG combat
- Tons of character customization
- Can play as robots!
- Ability to use 3rd-person style combat with guns
- New features in this game that are standard in MMORPG's (teams, skill trees, etc.)
- F2P so Sega doesn't get any money from me! :razz:

This. All day, erry day. :wacko:

Not just guns but magic too =) Comes in very handy on some bosses like rockbear before you have safoie.

Agreed on all counts and also I add the strategic depth. You can hit when they can't hit you without an "evade" message, loading screens are completely skippable, can have custom art for emotion and store, and so much random craziness! I once had an emergency code where the boss of the jungle planet teamed with a king yeti at a place (second from last stage) the darkers took over! That was fun!

-Sometimes bad guys can even fight each other, but only if one bad guy is a darker assuming none are inflicted with panic.

-Emergency code: Avoid is usually fun, and the game gives moments like this to give a reason to put eyes in the back of your head =)

-Hatsune Miku, do you want me to say more?

-I like cute girls in wedding dresses ^_^

Vyrielle
Jun 4, 2013, 06:28 AM
1. RNG, love and hate.

and the humor.

one day a party member got ? sword from burn draal. we all hyped and screamed BURN SPADAAAAAAAAA. so excited & even price-check, prepare for element and stuff.

He identified it

TA-DA! vol scale!
hilarity ensued

2. Costumes, and physics

3. battle system

AgemFrostMage
Jun 5, 2013, 09:04 AM
I probably mentioned it but will again: class system! Some games lock you into a class, that character is a mage or thief for life whereas others are too flexible and everyone just puts up the objectively best skills anyway and copies each other in practice. Here, you have a subclass system that is the best of both worlds somewhat comparable to the Final Fantasy V job system: flexible enough, can change jobs and take a little from others. Mags also contribute to this customization. Beyond the post's scope but will say trees need rework especially make force tree designed like techer but with force skills instead as all second masteries are accessible there. As is, I wouldn't want to buy a second force tree but would buy a second techer tree for wind (love the utility can lock down mobs until dead or out of PP) as my current is primary dark with obligatory light for increased PP regen.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 6, 2013, 08:57 AM
-The combat system itself. Despite class balance and such, the basic elements of the combat system work great.

-Say what you will about clothing options, but customization of the characters themselves is very extensive.

-Big. Freaking. Varder. And some other bosses too.

-3PS with Guns and Techs. A major improvement over PSU's system of manual aim (which itself was an admirable attempt to get more mileage out of guns)

-Subclass system lets me play like a HUney again... but as a male character!