PDA

View Full Version : Would you play PSO2 if it was named something else?

Retehi
May 18, 2013, 01:48 PM
Just throw a typical asian MMO name on it. Dragon World or Galaxyverse Fighters, whatever, something mundane. Would you of got into it/invested into it? Be honest.

For me, no.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2013, 01:54 PM
.................................................. .........................

I'd probably say "hey this game looks cool."

Then not play it anyway, then by the time I hear the game is horrible I'll be glad I was too lazy to play it.

gigawuts
May 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
For a month and then hell no, just like most of my friends on it. I've done that in a few games - play for a month with some friends, then we all say F it because of all the blatant and horrible flaws.

IOW, it's the people and familiarity keeping me around by now.

Z-0
May 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
Definitely not.

The "Phantasy Star" namesake was what made me start playing. Enjoyed it, kept playing, then got bored, but didn't want to quit because it felt like an investment I didn't want to lose, since the game had potential.

Kilich
May 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
Maybe.

Reiketsu
May 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
I never played many MMOs or cared much for them. I actually don't like online gaming in general that much.
I played the GC-version of PSO1 split-screen with friends and loved it.

If this game wasn't called Phantasy Star Online 2, I would have seriously never bothered with it.

gravityvx
May 18, 2013, 02:01 PM
Honestly, if it had universe in title wouldn't have touched it or had any interest in at all to begin with. And if it was called anything else, I'd probably have only had a slight interest because when you see phantasy star in title you kind of know whats in store, and most of their games were good. It was the "online 2" at the end of the title that got me hyped for this game when it was announced.

Jakosifer
May 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
Yes because waifus in space.

ashley50
May 18, 2013, 02:08 PM
Nope.

Vashyron
May 18, 2013, 02:35 PM
No, Lol.

At least in regards to putting the effort in playing the Japanese version. Otherwise if I did play it I know I wouldn't have played it nearly as long.

jooozek
May 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
i'd prolly give it a whirl for a week and die from grind boredom

Cyron Tanryoku
May 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Better question

Would you play it for a klondike bar?

Alisha
May 18, 2013, 02:39 PM
nope.

blace
May 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Like with most games, I give it a week to a month and drop it. If it didn't have the obligatory Phantasy Star in the title, might've overlooked it.

Ezodagrom
May 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
If it didn't have the Phantasy Star name, but was still a game made by SEGA, I would try it, but, if it was from some other random developer, I probably wouldn't try it.

Sayara
May 18, 2013, 02:56 PM
I wouldnt of wasted my time/money getting setup on the jp server if it was called otherwsie.

but completely not if it was called Mattel presents: Monster hunter Jr Barbie Edition

Zeota
May 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
Probably not since it was the name that drew me to the first one. My enjoyment of it plus the friends I made led me to subsequent installments.

Sp-24
May 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'd probably still play it and whine about unpolished gameplay all the same. The thing is, if it wasn't for a "Phantasy Star" name, there's no way I'd hear about it at all.

Zorafim
May 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't have played any PS game if not for the name, with the exception of PSO. And that, I wouldn't have played if it didn't have SEGA's name on it.

Totori
May 18, 2013, 03:46 PM
If it had the same content, then yeah.

Xaeris
May 18, 2013, 04:20 PM
A rose by any other name, and all that. In this case, I suppose it's more of a car air freshener.

On a side note, I'm surprised by how many people wouldn't play on account of the name alone. I guess this is why we get so many sequels.

darkante
May 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
I doubt i would have touched it then.
Regardless, i got some fun outta it in the beginning, but i just canīt get back into it anyway.

Maenara
May 18, 2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, because I've never played any other Phantasy Star game and I think this game is fun. Sure this game may eventually get repetitive, but so do all games, and what do I do when that happens? Play something else, like Minecraft. You guys are just whining, and I think your problem is that you're comparing a game that has had one year to develop to a game that has had four.

This game is a new installment in the series. It isn't PSO for PC with updated graphics.

jooozek
May 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
you are right, it isnt pso
its a watered down poo taking elements from all the MMO garbage

The Walrus
May 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
I probably would have given it a chance, but as it is now the only reason I play anymore is cause of the namesake.

Maenara
May 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
you are right, it isnt pso
its a watered down poo taking elements from all the MMO garbage

List all the things that PSO has, that PSO2 doesn't. Then, list all the things that PSO has, that PSO2 does.

jooozek
May 18, 2013, 06:53 PM
List all the things that PSO has, that PSO2 doesn't. Then, list all the things that PSO has, that PSO2 does.

right, because a bucket of urine is better than a cup of honey

gigawuts
May 18, 2013, 07:17 PM
A rose by any other name, and all that. In this case, I suppose it's more of a car air freshener.

On a side note, I'm surprised by how many people wouldn't play on account of the name alone. I guess this is why we get so many sequels.

It is, yeah. Successful games get sequels because they're easy money. A lot of games are mediocre and unmemorable, but when a sequel is mediocre and unmemorable you're looking at the combined memories of both games.

If a game is successful enough to get itself a sequel, it's probably pretty decent. So long as they put some - not even most, just some - of the same aspects into the sequel, players that liked the first will buy the sequel and players that disliked the first may buy the sequel simply because it's being advertised as lacking everything you hated in the first. What they don't mention is it also lacks a lot of things you may have loved in the first.

But this is a whole discussion on game theory and design theory that isn't really warranted here, I could go on for hours about this sort of thing.

edit:
You must be new here. But, you asked, so I'll rattle off a few of the usual suspects.
Unique weapons, rares that were actually attainable, a weapon improvement system that didn't fail or punish you for trying, a variety of levels that were more visually intriguing and inspired (this is an opinion thing though, so ignore it if you disagree), more interesting quests, a more fleshed out story, content that didn't focus nearly as heavily on being a dressup doll game, no skilltrees (these are in actuality a weakness of design - you're heavily restricted in what you can access unless you spend real money, and punished with a real dollar pricetag for making a mistake), maps and quests that lasted longer than 20 minutes, a lack of tedious client orders that leveling was intentionally balanced around utilizing - i.e. you are indirectly punished by not taking client orders by having to gain more experience in another way, and then weapons that weren't part of a planned obsolescence scheme.

What does PSO2 have that PSO1 doesn't? Read the above run-on sentence. Also, PSO2 is F2P, which is a drawback in the long run since every little thing will have a pricetag or be intentionally frustrating to make you want to pay to avoid it. Like the differences or not, I don't care. Them's the facts, and not even all of the differences at that.

Syklo
May 18, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'd still play it if it were called "Sonic is not online 2"

Mekhana
May 18, 2013, 08:04 PM
I got lured in because of the name sure but the name didn't keep me playing this long. If we didn't have things like translation, databases and a large english community I'd probably still be playing EVE Online.

Kierto
May 18, 2013, 09:28 PM
Lol, wouldn't touch it at all.

Dongra
May 18, 2013, 09:33 PM
Nope, and I still don't really want to play it even with the Phantasy Star name attached thanks to PSU.

Shirai
May 18, 2013, 09:40 PM
I'd give it a chance.

Then I'd run back to play PSO1

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2013, 09:55 PM
I would still play the game even if it wasn't titled "PSO2". Like if Sega titled it "Arc Hunters Online" or " Galactic Hunters Online". I'm getting really tired of these threads that inspire more excessive inflated criticisms of PSO2.

NoiseHERO
May 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
you're like the only one left that doesn't think they deserve it.

Lumpen Thingy
May 19, 2013, 01:33 AM
I would still play the game even if it wasn't titled "PSO2". Like if Sega titled it "Arc Hunters Online" or " Galactic Hunters Online". I'm getting really tired of these threads that inspire more excessive inflated criticisms of PSO2.

wow you mean theres someone else on the forums other than me that actually likes the game and would play it even if it was under a different name? weird

Darki
May 19, 2013, 02:16 AM
Maybe harder to find, yes, since I was looking forward to this game as I'm fan to the series. But for me this game has a feeling that other games don't give me. I've tried many F2P MMOs in my off time, and I've never gotten this feeling off any of them except for maybe other well-established games.

This game has flaws. Some more serious than others, but it has also many strong points. The combat system for me is amazing, the dynamics of all the classes, as well as the futuristic concept. I think people here get their mouths too full with criticism and don't realize the many strong points of this game, simply because they have gotten used to take them for granted and only see the problems.

About this feeling I was talking before... I don't really know how to describe it. PSO2 feels to me very "solid". It's a game with a backstory on it, I suppose that is thanks to the fact that it belongs to an already old franchise (as old as Zelda, for example), but when I download any random MMO to kill off time on my laptop when I don't have access to my desktop, they feel cheap, unsubstancial, I don't know.

I believe I would still play this if it wasn't a "Phantasy Star", although one of the things I like of it is that theory-making between old games to try to link them together. Not a decisive matter, but helps.

Eveningxtar
May 19, 2013, 02:46 AM
Would still play it since the game have a decent combat system .