PDA

View Full Version : Random Idea Time

KuraiHikari
May 21, 2013, 06:47 AM
Good Aftermorrow World. How are you doing today? I hope you are doing well.
I have returned for another addition of what i'll now call Random Idea Time. (I did one before, but didn't think I'd be back to do it again. Thusly, I'll ake this kind of a mini-series of sorts for those who read these kinds of things.)

Todays topic: Superbosses

First some background.

In the original Phantasy Star series, there existed the Algo system, inhabited by 3 races that have nothing to do with this post, so I'm ignoring them. The Algo solar system was special in that it was created by the "The Great Light" to act as a seal for it's evil twin. TGL created three races to watch over the seal, whose power wavered with the turn of each millennia. To ensure that the races remembered their eternity-long job, TGL created the planet Rykros which would drift into the solar system every millennia to remind people that if they didn't choose some champions to save the solar system and fix the seal, they would all die (in a nutshell). And so every millennia, the races of the worlds would birth heroes to defeat Dark Falz, a fragment of the power which lay behind the seal that the Algo system maintains. One millenia, however, a group of heroes gets tired of all these 1000 year hero bits and dives straight into the intergalactic prison to confront the power behind it. That powers name is "The Profound Darkness".

Easy enough, right? We haven't seen a trace of The Profound Darkness (now shortened to TPD) since the original games. There have been a few throwbacks, such as the existence of Rykros in the Gurhal system, having it also act as the hidden planet of the system. There's also Falz himself who refuses to leave any Phantasy star game alone. One other one that I recently found (which also made me decide to post this in the first place) is the fact that the Emergency Mission for Dark Falz Elder is titled "Profound Darkness' Kin", directly referencing TPD.

My idea for TPD's implementation is to place him in the update data one day, teling people he's there. It will last the general 30 minutes, and will allow for the usual 12 people to face it. The catch? To really sink in the relation between TPD from PSO2 and the original's TPD, not only would he be nigh-impossible to kill (Seeing as how it's power is to be profound), but to make it feel like a Millenia has passed since the last iteration of the TPD EQ, it will only be available once a year, preferably on Phantasy Star's anniversary since that would make a lot of sense.

TL;DR (For you lazy people): The Profound Darkness should be a once-in-a-blue-moon, nigh-unbeatable superboss EQ that is so difficult that Absolute Virtue, Promathia, Elizabeth (Persona 3), and even SNK bosses in general look like plush poodles in comparison.

Discuss.

Punisher106
May 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
I have been wanting to wreck Profound Darkness in the PS games I've played. Too bad it only happened in PS3. We need that to happen again.

thematesV2
May 21, 2013, 11:29 AM
I like it.

make it every month or two, rather than year, (some people don't even play for more than a few months)

also, make it's drop rate 100% and have it drop one of 5-10 different TPD items that slowly deplete health or PP in exchange for great power or doubling character speed or other stat.

lexstarshok
May 21, 2013, 11:45 AM
Aewsome idea! but once a year is a biiit much unless it was a month long eq. One eq a year would just cause sooooo many issues.

Skyly HUmar
May 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
OP, youre forgetting that the only reason chaz and party were able to beat the profound darkness was because it wasnt done manifesting itself and it was at it's weakest. I wanna fight it at 100% lol.

But knowing sega theyll probably make it one of the easiest bosses in game with alot of hp.

Walkure
May 21, 2013, 01:37 PM
Hope you mean Promathia in boss fight feel, since he was a pretty easy boss fight.

strikerhunter
May 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
Once a year is a bit too long. Maybe once a month? with the EQ lasting a 1-2 hour fight with phases? And drop rate being high and drops having side-effects for being so strong.

KuraiHikari
May 21, 2013, 04:01 PM
I see all of your points and raise you a thumbs up. You have a point with upping the frequency. Once a year is a bit... sparse. And yeah, when I said Promathia, I just meant the feel of the fight. He's a storyline boss, so he's not necessarily a superboss per-se, but if you weren't prepared, you couldn't just weasel around him and beat him like some bosses.

I think a good way to do it is have a weaker version as an EQ that occurs as frequently as Falz Elder, while creating a superboss form of TPD that occurs monthly or so with a new moveset and far higher damage output, available for only people of a certain level. Good idea, Bad?

UnLucky
May 21, 2013, 04:10 PM
Death immediately triggers spectator mode, so no revives or returning to campship (leaving the party doesn't ruin everyone else's run). Quest fails when everyone is dead. Dead players still get the same rewards on quest completion.

The boss and/or adds deal any/all types of damage, but every attack has a unique tell and nothing can kill you at full HP if you have +10 11* units with HP affixes at level cap. I'm talking high PA multipliers/low Atk values, so Def mitigation is actually relevant.

No unavoidable multi-hit homing oneshots, no shared tells with opposite correct responses, but a constant barrage of predictable yet punishing attacks that require proper positioning to avoid. Striking attacks focus on the player with the most Hate (or War Cry) but Ranged and Tech attacks prioritize distant players regardless (or are room-wide).

Drops good rares with a low probability along with guaranteed stone drops that can be traded in for the same rares in a direct proportion to the drop rates of the items. So a 1% drop can be bought with 100 stones. Drop rate boosters (or plain luck) can't get you extra stones, but it can help you get the actual items sooner. Some might be locked to broken parts, though.

BIG OLAF
May 21, 2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I think there should be some 'raid' raid bosses that are shit-your-pants hard, yet offer very tasty, high-end gear upon completion (guaranteed to get something cool every time of course, which SEGA would never want to do, but eh).

Also, she would have to look similar to her PSIV 'final form', except maybe more modernized/mechanical. Multiple stage fight, make her huge (hand roughly 1/3 the size of the 'stage'). Breakable parts, her 'fangs' on her wings, the horns on her head, and the gems on her forehead, wings, and legs.

[spoiler-box]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120519211205/phantasystar/images/1/1b/Profounddarkness3.gif[/spoiler-box]

Betcha can't find a bra to fit that.

Z-0
May 21, 2013, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't want "One EQ a month at a set time that has certain exclusive drops everyone wants", because I'll probably miss it due to scheduling, and that just puts me at a disadvantage.

Probably speaking for others too.

Rather something like Extreme Quest restrictions, but actually worth the one-a-X period of time, instead of 3 minutes of gameplay.

KuraiHikari
May 22, 2013, 05:38 AM
Death immediately triggers spectator mode, so no revives or returning to campship (leaving the party doesn't ruin everyone else's run). Quest fails when everyone is dead. Dead players still get the same rewards on quest completion.

The boss and/or adds deal any/all types of damage, but every attack has a unique tell and nothing can kill you at full HP if you have +10 11* units with HP affixes at level cap. I'm talking high PA multipliers/low Atk values, so Def mitigation is actually relevant.

No unavoidable multi-hit homing oneshots, no shared tells with opposite correct responses, but a constant barrage of predictable yet punishing attacks that require proper positioning to avoid. Striking attacks focus on the player with the most Hate (or War Cry) but Ranged and Tech attacks prioritize distant players regardless (or are room-wide).

Drops good rares with a low probability along with guaranteed stone drops that can be traded in for the same rares in a direct proportion to the drop rates of the items. So a 1% drop can be bought with 100 stones. Drop rate boosters (or plain luck) can't get you extra stones, but it can help you get the actual items sooner. Some might be locked to broken parts, though.

I don't necessarily have a problem with this proposal. This seems quite reasonable for a superboss.

Yeah, I think there should be some 'raid' raid bosses that are shit-your-pants hard, yet offer very tasty, high-end gear upon completion (guaranteed to get something cool every time of course, which SEGA would never want to do, but eh).

Also, she would have to look similar to her PSIV 'final form', except maybe more modernized/mechanical. Multiple stage fight, make her huge (hand roughly 1/3 the size of the 'stage'). Breakable parts, her 'fangs' on her wings, the horns on her head, and the gems on her forehead, wings, and legs.

[spoiler-box]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120519211205/phantasystar/images/1/1b/Profounddarkness3.gif[/spoiler-box]

I like that idea, but I think it's unlikely for the sole reason that the current Dark Falz looks absolutely nothing like the originals, so they might make a new evolved form of TPD. Really though, it would be cool to see the original TPD return in all of her/his/it's evil glory.

Skyly HUmar
May 22, 2013, 12:53 PM

I'd like to fight all 3 of her forms. The first one just looked grody.

EDIT: link to all 3 forms: http://www.pscave.com/ps4/enemies/profounddarkness.shtml

Gardios
May 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
Before we get superbosses, can we get challenging 4 man areas first please

I wouldn't want "One EQ a month at a set time that has certain exclusive drops everyone wants", because I'll probably miss it due to scheduling, and that just puts me at a disadvantage.

Probably speaking for others too.

Rather something like Extreme Quest restrictions, but actually worth the one-a-X period of time, instead of 3 minutes of gameplay.

Also this.