PDA

View Full Version : Can SEGA ban you from PSO2 if you upload YouTube Videos?

jerrykun
May 23, 2013, 10:08 PM
Lets say I want to make some PSO2 videos to let players understand mechanics like grinding and TACOs, etc.
My question is, can SEGA ban me if they see that I'm using the English patch in my videos?
Is there anything else I should be aware of when uploading videos? Like "all rights are property of SEGA" etc.

Maronji
May 23, 2013, 10:26 PM
I've obviously had the Core English Patch (back when I did the Chapter 08 videos) and later the Story Patch in my videos, and so far, they've done absolutely nothing to me. That's considering that I've had that Chapter 08 Act 2 video up as far back as November 2012 and my English Story videos up as far back as February this year. If I've gone this far without getting banned yet, either no one's reported me (that would care), they haven't gotten around to ban-hammering me yet (they've had plenty of time though, so there's no excuse), or they simply just don't care.

I'm not holding my breath, though, because they could still get me at any time, if they really wanted to.

EDIT: Alternatively, people are just too lazy to look up my Player ID. I dunno.

The only "obligatory" thing I can think of that you should probably put in just to be safe is the following text, but I'm not entirely sure if it's even still required. I make a point to include it every time just to err on the safe side, though.
[SPOILER-BOX](C)SEGA
『PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2』公式サイト
http://pso2.jp/[/SPOILER-BOX]

jerrykun
May 23, 2013, 10:30 PM
I've obviously had the Core English Patch (back when I did the Chapter 08 videos) and later the Story Patch in my videos, and so far, they've done absolutely nothing to me. That's considering that I've had that Chapter 08 Act 2 video up as far back as November 2012 and my English Story videos up as far back as February this year. If I've gone this far without getting banned yet, either no one's reported me (that would care), they haven't gotten around to ban-hammering me yet (they've had plenty of time though, so there's no excuse), or they simply just don't care.

I'm not holding my breath, though, because they could still get me at any time, if they really wanted to.

EDIT: Alternatively, people are just too lazy to look up my Player ID. I dunno.

The only "obligatory" thing I can think of that you should probably put in just to be safe is the following text, but I'm not entirely sure if it's even still required. I make a point to include it every time just to err on the safe side, though.
[SPOILER-BOX](C)SEGA
http://pso2.jp/[/SPOILER-BOX]

Thank you very much for your reply! It helped me a lot!

EvilMag
May 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
I've had a lot of JP players watch my videos and I use the english patch.

Alisha
May 23, 2013, 10:33 PM
i think you will be ok as long as your videos arent monetized

Cyron Tanryoku
May 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
mine are monetized

Kion
May 23, 2013, 11:43 PM
I've had a lot of JP players watch my videos and I use the english patch.

Maybe at this point they think it's the official english version? :-?

gravityvx
May 24, 2013, 12:18 AM
I have about 30ish videos and they've been put in through out the past year with english patch on and I've never put sega credits in the description, I really don't think they care to look for your videos and no one cares to report it for whatever stupid reason.

Drifting Fable
May 24, 2013, 01:52 AM
If you want to play it safe, blank out your name.

Otherwise, I don't think it really matters.

AgemFrostMage
May 24, 2013, 07:16 AM
They can ban you since it's evidence that you are violating a terms of service, but Sega is relatively cool and aren't Arenanet or EA so will look the other way if they know unless you're up to no good objectively. To be safe I wouldn't post, but if you want then go ahead.

Walkure
May 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
Chances are like 99% you won't get banned, since even games much more hostile to foreign players (Korean DnF) don't scour youtube videos for any Westerner they can ban.

If you're like suuuuper paranoid there's this easy change:
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/OIs09cm.png
http://i.imgur.com/mNA7v1X.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Bam.

Ezodagrom
May 24, 2013, 09:46 AM
Chances are like 99% you won't get banned, since even games much more hostile to foreign players (Korean DnF) don't scour youtube videos for any Westerner they can ban.

If you're like suuuuper paranoid there's this easy change:
[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/OIs09cm.png
http://i.imgur.com/mNA7v1X.png
[/spoiler-box]

Bam.
There's also "No Display" option at the very top. ^^;

Crysteon
May 24, 2013, 09:56 AM
I havent had any issue so far for uploading PSO2 stuff. I dont use the english patch and they are not monetized (ofc...common sense).

Sega used to hunt down PSO2 related contents when the game was on Alpha stage mainly because it was forbidden to testers to leak any media related to the game, but they dont seem to care about it like before anymore since the game's out already.

Shadowth117
May 24, 2013, 10:04 AM
I havent had any issue so far for uploading PSO2 stuff. I dont use the english patch and they are not monetized (ofc...common sense).

Sega used to hunt down PSO2 related contents when the game was on Alpha stage mainly because it was forbidden to testers to leak any media related to the game, but they dont seem to care about it like before anymore since the game's out already.

^ This, although some of my earliest videos have the English patch since I used that initially during the Closed Beta to learn how to play the game a bit.

I would imagine we should all be fine though for doing that. After all, the videos we make of this game potentially raise awareness of it one way or another. Free advertising isn't really a bad thing.

Calsetes
May 24, 2013, 10:28 AM
^ This, although some of my earliest videos have the English patch since I used that initially during the Closed Beta to learn how to play the game a bit.

I would imagine we should all be fine though for doing that. After all, the videos we make of this game potentially raise awareness of it one way or another. Free advertising isn't really a bad thing.

About the only thing I could see Sega having an issue with is the monetization aspect of it, and maybe going a route like Nintendo did recently (if that did actually happen 100% - I know they were going to try it, but forget if it succeeded or was just them filing for that.)

Z-0
May 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
Strictly speaking, these are the rules that were posted:

Videos: For those who are streaming videos in real time, or uploading videos onto video hosting websites or blogs, should follow the below recommendations:
Video users should place the copyright notation at the beginning and end of the video for more than two seconds OR within the video description area.

(C)SEGA

In addition, in the video description area, please include the following note:

http://pso2.jp/

Changing the playback speed or adding unrelated videos and music to your gameplay is prohibited. You are allowed to edit the video to obscure character or player ID names.

I don't believe SEGA have ever banned for missing out copyright details or editing the videos, though.

Dragon_Knight
May 24, 2013, 09:12 PM
I think you are safe...after SEGA's youtube flagging fiasco for posting any video of current/former SEGA titles, I think they'll stay clear of youtube for the time being. But to be honest...even if they ARE watching your stuff...well laziness strikes when you most expect it. At least that's what I've found.

Meta77
May 24, 2013, 10:59 PM
I have a actual email from sega let me find it real fast.
I apologize for the delay as our policy in matters like this for the Americas and Europe has been under extended reconsideration. To be clear, we never give explicit permission to use our intellectual property. We reserve the right to take necessary actions when our properties are used inappropriately, maligned or distributed for profit.

However, we will typically will not take action on YouTube videos or similar content in these regions. We will also typically not take action against works for personal use, school projects, portfolios, etc, as long as the work is not distributed for profit and our ownership of the copyright is acknowledged.

Additionally, if you live in these territories and you have a YouTube video that was removed, please get in touch with us at [email protected] so that we can look into it for you.

Best Regards,
Jeff C. Hawkins
SEGA of America Customer Service
Supervisor