PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter To SEGA

pso2love
Jun 2, 2013, 05:21 PM
http://pso2gaijin.wordpress.com/

If this person already posted this here in the forums somewhere, I apologize...
However, I am just posting it here to make a few points.

I read through this letter earlier yesterday, and thought to myself "Yeah, it sucks to be this person right now, seeing that this was a dick move by SEGA of Japan... however, they should have saw this coming, knowing the ToS states no support for players outside of Japan."

Then, it really hit me... Did this person really try hard enough to get SEGA's attention on the matter? I sent them an email earlier today, and am waiting for a response.

I don't know if anyone knows this person, however, if you are able to help, please get in contact with them. Thanks! :3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To save you time going through all the pages, I will post his reply here:

I got a response from pso2gaijin by email. Here it is:

Hello,

To clarify, I still have no clue why I was banned. I had the theory that it might be because my equipment really was at the time perhaps the best on any ship. That's what happens when you pour basically every waking hour into learning game systems and trading to achieve enough in-game currency to perform proper affixing.

I do note that it happened within 24 hours of myself crafting some incredible 5 slot units. At the time, you couldn't even trade 10* objects, so I had to farm a boss for hundreds of hours just to get a set of units which each dropped with 5 or more slots (using booster items, affixing is generally very easy if you start with a unit that already has the desired number of slots, and basically impossible if you try to add a slot in the process).

After sending a link to my website to sega on two separate occasions using the designated forms they'd ignored me through in the past, SEGA finally replied! Gosh, I was excited to see the email. What was written within was was essentially 'rule 8 - no foreigners.'

So yes, SEGA have in essence confirmed I was banned for being a foreign player. What lead to my initial report, I have no idea. I do suspect it was my amazing devotion to affixing high tier armor and weapons.

I would have updated this on the website, but I feel there's more to happen before I write up this period of events.

the exact text of SEGA's response was:

'平素は『ファンタシースターオンライン2』をご愛顧いただき
誠にありがとうございます。

恐れ入りますが『ファンタシースターオンライン2』に関しま
しては、日本国内からのご利用に限らせていただいております。

下記に、日本国外からのご利用に関する利用規約を掲載させて
いただいておりますので、ご確認いただけますでしょうか。

▼ 利用規約
http://pso2.jp/players/support/rule/
(※第2条の「8」項目をご確認ください)'

I responded to this, but they have once again gone silent.

I have, to my mind, exhausted most avenues for appeal and to get my account back. That was my initial effort. When SEGA simply wouldn't respond, that's when I put the site up, as a way to make them acknowledge me and to treat me with the respect all customers should receive. I have had Japanese players help me with my translations, but I can't claim to have an army of Japanese friends working at my disposal. Most of my Japanese friends in PSO2 I knew by their in-game handle and if I ever needed to contact them, I'd send them a message or use the whisper function. SEGA cut my access to the majority of them simply by cutting my service.

My efforts are not about screwing over SEGA, and I'm not trying to do that. What I'm trying to do is to make SEGA take a look at and correct their behavior. I think it's doable, but someone needs to tell them very loudly, for their own good, that things aren't alright, we aren't happy with how they've treated us, and they need to make some changes so that they can maximize their revenue and fanbase in future.

The one thing that corporations generally watch out for is cash flow. If we can vote with our wallets for a better service, I've got to believe that at some point SEGA is going to provide that service to rescue their share values.

Feel free to post this on PSO-World if you like. I've always found it a very volatile site and I wasn't sure how the community there would react. They tend to adopt a stance of not complaining and hoping SEGA will come good on its own, despite a lot of history and evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for your message and for raising awareness,

PSO2GAIJIN

Dan Maku
Jun 2, 2013, 05:37 PM
Agree'd that they should've seen their ban coming. I only bought ACs once (because I had to clear my inventory and could never get a shop ticket in the FUN scratch), 'cause I know the ToS frowns upon this.

If you're gonna go around breaking rules, don't be pissed when your misdeeds catch up with you.

tl;dr
This guy is just butthurt as all getout.

blace
Jun 2, 2013, 05:41 PM
I have seen this before and I have stopped reading when it came down to, "I paid to play the game, so why am I banned?" The least they could've said was what they did prior to the ban.

When you choose to invest in a game, you agree that all monetary actions will not be refunded, as is standard free to play policy. I haven't read it all the way through yet, but the self entitlement attitude doesn't help with the cause.

EvilMag
Jun 2, 2013, 05:42 PM
>$5000

Yeahhhhhhhh...bullshit.

The Walrus
Jun 2, 2013, 05:42 PM
Saw this on gfaqs. Laughed.

Laughed again.

Gardios
Jun 2, 2013, 05:44 PM
Tl;dr: Complaining about being banned while playing illegally in the first place?

>$5000

Yeahhhhhhhh...bullshit.

"$5000 USD worth of virtual property accrued (estimated by taking the number of costumes available and multiplying by a median of silver and gold scratch pricing)"

...could simply mean "if I bought every item I have from scratch instead of from player shops, I would've spent $5000".

Swaggerjak
Jun 2, 2013, 05:46 PM
Oh my lord this is one angry man. Even if he raises good points. Oh my lord. I'd hope I won't get banned, but thankfully I've comprehended the risk involved in playing/paying. Also, we may not know what kind of behavior he was exhibiting to be reported.

ShinMaruku
Jun 2, 2013, 05:48 PM
Why would anybody pay for this game?
http://www.vgzero.com/game-news-image-2013-7a4d18ee874df8a1db752f599f9fea70.jpg

BIG OLAF
Jun 2, 2013, 05:51 PM

Why would anyone who clearly dislikes the game keep spouting nonsense about it?

ShinMaruku
Jun 2, 2013, 06:00 PM
http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/chansub-global-emoticon-1a1a8bb5cdf6efb9-24x32.png

BIG OLAF
Jun 2, 2013, 06:03 PM
That's what I thought.

Swaggerjak
Jun 2, 2013, 06:04 PM
A premium membership doesn't cost much to those who work full time, and a lot of the benefits are extremely convenient for those people.

ShinMaruku
Jun 2, 2013, 06:05 PM
One could be getting a better deal and a better game by not quite paying them so easily.

Inazuma
Jun 2, 2013, 07:10 PM
He never stated if he did anything bad or not, such as hacking, cheating, spamming in the lobby, being an asshole, harassing people, etc. If he just suddenly got banned and he did nothing wrong to justify it, I can totally understand him being outraged. But if he was doing harm to other players, then maybe he deserved the ban.

I have told hundreds of Japanese players that I'm actually American. I don't keep it a secret. I haven't been banned for it yet. I try to be nice to other players and play the game the same way the Japanese do. I'm the kind of gaijin player that the Japanese like and respect. Instead of going out of my way to ignore everything Japanese, I take interest in learning as much as I can.

TaigaUC
Jun 2, 2013, 07:47 PM
It doesn't take long to rack up a fortune on "free to play" games. That's how they profit. People just seem to think that because it says "free to play", that it's impossible anyone would actually spend any money on it, because it's "free".

Anyway, while it's sad that SEGA is ignoring foreign players despite them being a fairly large amount of the playerbase (on top of ignoring their international version entirely), the ToS does say we're not supposed to be playing, so this shouldn't come as any surprise. I've played other games where all foreign IPs were suddenly banned because of a bunch of idiots, despite my efforts to keep international community presence low and considerate of our hosts, so this is not new to me. This kind of nonsense sucked then, and it still sucks now.

I don't think it's nice to laugh or scoff at the unlucky people who do get unfairly banned, and I do think it's stupid that any game can perma-ban at their discretion, but it is avoidable by simply not putting ourselves at risk and not playing or paying for their games at all. In this specific case, we don't even know if that guy is omitting information about cheating, either.

Also, while I don't like to use comparisons, companies often don't care if a customer is paying or whether the ban was justified. Most obvious example is Nexon, who seems to carpet perma-ban large amounts of random innocent people for absolutely no reason. They even erase your paid virtual money after a year, which makes no sense to me.

Punisher106
Jun 2, 2013, 08:03 PM
I try to be nice to other players and play the game the same way the Japanese do. I'm the kind of gaijin player that the Japanese like and respect. Instead of going out of my way to ignore everything Japanese, I take interest in learning as much as I can.This. Freaking this. Yes, I use the english patch, but I do it so I know what's going around. I'm slowly learning about what is what, most JP items I know by heart. Hell, in an Elder MPA, Two people joined my party before I hit the lock button. (One of them, well, was Sine). I just kept my yap shut, disabled my autowords, which were in english, and played the game, speaking to the both of them in what little japanese I knew. I have never ran into a JP player who hated me for being a foreigner, a few of them not knowing I was a foreigner in the first place (Telling just by the name isn't always a reliable method. Look at Midori. And I've seen JP players with english names with the right capitalization.) I keep my trap shut as much as I can, and everything is perfectly fine.

Shinamori
Jun 2, 2013, 08:09 PM
I wonder how many people has actually been banned because of that TOS violation.

Cyclon
Jun 2, 2013, 08:58 PM
He kinda gives readers too many reasons not to feel bad about his experience. That's a shame too, because such rage is understandable, but it works against him here.
So yeah, sucks to be him. Hope that kind of stuff is as rare as I think it is.

Vashyron
Jun 2, 2013, 09:05 PM
Funny, reading the reactions to that blog here compared to the ones in the Sega Forum.

Shinamori
Jun 2, 2013, 09:16 PM
Well, Sega went to the "trouble" of adding an English option in the config, so maybe that don't care-care about western players. They only western plays I've seen get banned are the ones who cheats.

Para
Jun 2, 2013, 09:47 PM
I find it that it is important to respect the different culture they have in Japan.

eg. Don't talk in lobby just to talk to one person. Whisper is there for a reason.

Also if people are "dicking around" (hitting unbreakable arms, shocking in first form etc.) in Falz, don't express your dissatisfaction openly with negative connotation. Its just impolite. Western cultures might be all about freedom of speech but this server isn't based in the western side of the world and the majority of players are Japanese thus its disrespectful to break out of their etiquette.

Shinamori
Jun 2, 2013, 09:58 PM
Pretty much this.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 2, 2013, 10:07 PM
I'm the kind of gaijin player that the Japanese like and respect.
Going from what I got from Tumblr, so am I
...And I don't even do anything put play and post pics tbh

I really don't think most of them actually care.

http://www.vgzero.com/game-news-image-2013-7a4d18ee874df8a1db752f599f9fea70.jpg

Why would anyone who clearly dislikes the game keep spouting nonsense about it?
I don't think Olaf gets the joke

BIG OLAF
Jun 2, 2013, 10:20 PM
I don't think Olaf gets the joke

Then why don't you explain it?

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 2, 2013, 10:27 PM
Then why don't you explain it?
It's a reference to Adam Orth, who said some displeasing things on Twitter. He basically shoved views into his fans' faces.
He got fired for that

BIG OLAF
Jun 2, 2013, 10:43 PM
I see. I had no idea who that was or what Twitter incident you were referring to until I Googled it just now. Obscure reference.

vantwan123
Jun 2, 2013, 11:40 PM
This is why I put all my autowords in japanese and every time I join a jp party I try to talk to them as best as I can using a translator. Sure, it's probably broken japanese and I wouldn't be surprised if they were laughing at my efforts behind their screens, but so far I've never gotten kicked out of a party and can have basic conversations with japanese players. I must be doing something right.

MoronSonOfBoron
Jun 3, 2013, 12:15 AM
I just use romaji, seems to work well enough. I even got a couple friend requests.

Manta Oyamada
Jun 3, 2013, 12:20 AM
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-SEGA-of-America-RVW1925006.htm

HIT0SHI
Jun 3, 2013, 12:34 AM
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-SEGA-of-America-RVW1925006.htm

Oh my, this is pretty sad to hear.

ShinMaruku
Jun 3, 2013, 12:54 AM
It's a reference to Adam Orth, who said some displeasing things on Twitter. He basically shoved views into his fans' faces.
He got fired for that

Yup. When somebody asked him what if they live in Blacksburg Virginia and he said "Why would I live there?"

Meta77
Jun 3, 2013, 01:15 AM
Though I know we all take a risk surely sega of J knows their are a ton of american players on. heck from this site, segas official american site forums, and youtube they know americans play a lot. So I cannot see why they still ban players as long as they dont hack regardless of the tos which I am not sure why they stuck up in the first place.

untrustful
Jun 3, 2013, 02:01 AM
Pretty sure they don't ban people for being english, but I am sure people get banned for being an outrageous english player, or at least an english player being a victim of hacking.

supersonix9
Jun 3, 2013, 02:04 AM
The guy kind of has a few points here and there, but nothing that will really stop me from supporting SEGA. I know a few examples of "racist" actions towards gaijins that friends of mine have witnessed from Japanese players (and people in real life), but it is definitely from a minority of Japanese people. Unless I get banned and experience the same fate that this guy did, I can't really say that I feel the same way.

Meji
Jun 3, 2013, 02:41 AM
The guy kind of has a few points here and there, but nothing that will really stop me from supporting SEGA. I know a few examples of "racist" actions towards gaijins that friends of mine have witnessed from Japanese players (and people in real life), but it is definitely from a minority of Japanese people. Unless I get banned and experience the same fate that this guy did, I can't really say that I feel the same way.^ Pretty much the same goes for me.

Also, I take it the "Against ToS to play outside of Japan" rule is just an easy way for them to ban anyone outside JP that doesn't act properly without further ado (Sakai, after all, said that he isn't really hatin' on the non-JP players).
My guess is that this guy got over his head on some JP player, which ended up in having him reported.

I mean, if they'd really want to get rid of the ENG fans, a GM would just have to jump into B-20 and start sniping people.

Shinamori
Jun 3, 2013, 03:01 AM
They could just outright ban foreign IPs with a region block.

UnLucky
Jun 3, 2013, 03:33 AM
I wish I'd get banned so I wouldn't have to play anymore

Reia
Jun 3, 2013, 05:01 AM
The only thing I have to agree with is the report being abused sometimes.

Still in the serious side, I'm not going to say something like DON'T GET UBER GEAR BECAUSE IT STANDS OUT TOO MUCH! but rather, play a low profile, I'm sure many people don't understand this outside B20... Don't cry later for being banned.

Shinamori
Jun 3, 2013, 05:54 AM
Several people have uber gear an still are playing. However, most of players who has uber gear should be the Japanese, I would assume.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 3, 2013, 06:34 AM
Sega will always play favorites with Japan. Past PSO games America was behind so PSO2 America will probably be watered down, edited for "American sensibilities", and characters changed completely to be more politically correct =( PSO2 Japan will be where the full flavor is at, but hopefully Sega learned from its past mistakes.

Kion
Jun 3, 2013, 06:36 AM
The fact that Sega will likely not respond to this rant demonstrates how much they fail as a company.

One thing that I want to clear up is that Sega is not racist. Imagine that you make an online game and surprisingly it sells a lot in China. Which is great for your company's sales, but suddenly your flooded with a torrent of Chinese complaints, and Chinese form tickets with the status of the game. Your company is unable to respond to a client you never expected to have in the first place, and you end up with a lot of angry Chinese players arguing that your company is racist.

Really any sane company would hire more staff and try to do something to address the players, but not Sega. What I mean to say though, is that it's a Japanese dev team, that tailors and communicates closely with their Japanese player base. Their priority is to their local clients, and they really never expected, or desire to run a global server on the Japanese server. So while Sakai send that he wasn't going to enforce the ToS from players from outside of Japan, they still do respond to report tickets and would probably prefer to sweep incidences like this under the rug.

So mostly if you play the game, you just need to realize that you're not the primary target audience, you're likely using a patch which is against the ToS, and you're playing from outside Japan which is also against the ToS, so all you really can do is keep a low profile and say, "meh i had a good run while it lasted". Also I've talked to a few Japanese players and try to mention it as often as possible when I get a chance. Racism or not, outsiders are an easy scapegoat and people can always blame their problems on them. It's mostly just a sign of insecurity. Generally the complaints I see from Japanese players is, "why don't they play on the official North American servers. Why do they go out of their way to come bother us". When I inform them that there is no North American release, and the state of service of what Sega has provided in previous games, they generally change their tune and show more understanding. So in short, it's mostly ignorance on the players' part.

So, the JP dev team wasn't planning on being the global solution and JP players are most often ignorant. I can pretty easily forgive those two things as simple misunderstandings. What I don't understand is where is the fucker in charge of NA PSO2!!!? Sega's dev team is in Haneda Japan, so Sakai is leader of that. Beyond that SoJ has their main business head quarters in Shinagawa Japan. There should be someone there in charge of communicating with other divisions as to which games should be released where and who has the rights for them. Beyond that, there should someone at either SoA or SoE, who says, "My name is Ben (hypothetical). I'm the Project Leader for PSO2 International", who has the responsibility of getting the game released. Beyond that there should be some kind of team who works under him to support that product.

If there's someone in charge, that means that someone has the authority to post on Facebook, to write a blog, to publish the website, the outsource the translation, and get the resources required to release the game outside of Japan. It's quick and dirty, but it took me about a month to get everything translated and set up a website for the story patch, it's really not freaking rocket science and AIDA has managed to set up her tweaker so that it automatically downloads all of the updates and does everything for you. So I really don't think it's a matter of Sega not having the talent or the resources, because that's what their company freaking does for a business.

It seems like the problem really falls on management. If that were set and there was a clear person in charge of the page, then we'd be seeing some kind of progress or, some kind of response or some kind of anything. And the fact that we haven't is freaking ridiculous. Not to mention there are no leaks at all. I mean some pissed off employee has got to have a rant posted somewhere. Or an angry email, or somebody needs to quit and spill the beans about what's going on, because there's less info on what goes on at Sega than there is on freaking Gitmo at this point.

E3 is in just over a week, so maybe we'll something. Maybe I'll try and get a word in with Sakai at TGS this year. If the fans really have no fucking idea of what's going on, then it's likely the company isn't putting out any information, if the company isn't putting out any information is because they probably just don't know what's going on either.

Meji
Jun 3, 2013, 06:58 AM
SoA/SoE should just hire Kion and AIDA and get it over with. The two of you are such an outstanding team.

None the less, well written post. Makes me wonder who actually was in charge when they set up the pso2.com (http://www.pso2.com/us/) webpage.

And if you manage to shake some information out of Sakai during TGS in Sept, I would be highly interested in hearing all about it.

BIG OLAF
Jun 3, 2013, 07:06 AM
Most JP players don't even know there's no EN release yet? I found that kind of funny (but somewhat understandable, since they have theirs, why would they care about anyone else's ?).

As far as what Kion mentioned about management, that kinda falls into what the guy on that business review site was talking about. SEGA, in all forms, suffers from shit management.

Syklo
Jun 3, 2013, 07:17 AM
So, in short:
SEGA= Shitty Enterprise in Games & Applications?

That's what I'm getting....and I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment (yet)

AgemFrostMage
Jun 3, 2013, 07:20 AM
They still care mostly about Sonic and Aliens though so PSO2 isn't high on their list unfortunately. It really shouldn't take this long to localize a game just give us the English translation, crossovers, Miku, and keep the Japanese voices (don't have to but is faster), full characterization of characters, and flavor and we'd be happy.

Aslinng
Jun 3, 2013, 07:32 AM
My guess the voice acting that is taking forever, lot of commercial games, example nino kuni had the release date delayed because of thanslation and voice acting (Dragon age series included).

I know that some us doesn't care and like japanase voice acting but ther're still a large number of people in this world who prefer english dubbing. Though, I hope that at the E3 we will hear some good news.

Generally the complaints I see from Japanese players is, "why don't they play on the official North American servers. Why do they go out of their way to come bother us". When I inform them that there is no North American release,
Really, I must praise you to have fallen from your chair and stayed calm.

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 07:46 AM
So, the JP dev team wasn't planning on being the global solution and JP players are most often ignorant. I can pretty easily forgive those two things as simple misunderstandings. What I don't understand is where is the fucker in charge of NA PSO2!!!?

Just want to chime in on this note and say this much:

When a game company finds out that people all over the planet are climbing over eachother to get at their goods, their first reaction should not be "lock 'em all out and give them their own version in a year or three or whatever I don't care." Their reaction should be "lock 'em all out until we can get more servers up to handle the load jesus christ look at all the money we're going to make." As in, just expand the existing infrastructure. They have the money now. They can MORE than afford it.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 3, 2013, 08:13 AM
Just want to chime in on this note and say this much:

When a game company finds out that people all over the planet are climbing over eachother to get at their goods, their first reaction should not be "lock 'em all out and give them their own version in a year or three or whatever I don't care." Their reaction should be "lock 'em all out until we can get more servers up to handle the load jesus christ look at all the money we're going to make." As in, just expand the existing infrastructure. They have the money now. They can MORE than afford it.

Sega closes down American locations, and the money saved on it is the true source of their profit not the actual games:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/192076/Segas_video_game_business_is_still_not_coping_with _change.php

"However, it was deferred tax assets as a result of the liquidation of some of its U.S. subsidiaries that caused this boost to the company's net income figure. In reality, Sega's business operations continued to struggle..."

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 08:24 AM
That's exactly right, Sega has very much become a generic corporate bureaucracy where appearances matter much more than productivity. Which, in all honesty, is the only reason PSU lasted so long in the west - they kept it going to maintain the appearances of doing well until they had a successor ready/in the works/etc. PSU towards the latter years was, for all intents and purposes, a Lexus.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 08:26 AM
Man...would Sega actually try again and go ahead and make there servers global again as back in those days with PSO and PSOBB? I highly doubt they would for PSO2.

BUT! If they did I can pretty much say I know how it would turn out.

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 08:35 AM
No. To them it's a risk. It's easier to go with what you know won't fail immediately on launch.

I honestly feel they don't have the backbone to take risks of any anymore. PSO2 is a very safe game. It relies on the proven gacha system, and steals borrows everything it has from other games, barring perhaps only the random map layout (which I honestly feel is considerably lazier and safer than creating a series of maps and having to make sure they're intuitively laid out, fun, and not repetitive).

I also think PSO2 was their hail mary. If this flopped Sega would've been pretty deep in the shitter. And, hell, they still might be. They keep saying it's exceeding expectations, but we all know that even if it had 1 customer they'd be saying it was exceeding expectations. It's another standard appearance ploy that almost every company uses.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah if anything I know damn well they learned from those PSO and PSOBB moments back then and honestly I wouldn't want them to do that enough BS as it is already we don't anymore back draft.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah if anything I know damn well they learned from those PSO and PSOBB moments back then and honestly I wouldn't want them to do that enough BS as it is already we don't anymore back draft.

And don't forget western PSU was way behind the Japanese version and lacked much content and watered down. No wonder why people stay on the Japanese servers.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 09:50 AM
And don't forget western PSU was way behind the Japanese version and lacked much content and watered down. No wonder why people stay on the Japanese servers.

Didn't forget that at all I thought that was self explanatory as it's pretty well known lol but yeah that.

ShinMaruku
Jun 3, 2013, 10:57 AM
If Sega was worth it's salt as a business after the Western releases they'd drop the IP block. It may look like a dick move but it's business. They control the majority of their player base keeping it in that region, AND they support the other regions by making those parts get income as well. I mean the US is ass at taxing corporations they could get away with murder with their revenues here.

Tetsaru
Jun 3, 2013, 11:50 AM
After reading through the letter and comments, I think the guy has every right to complain, despite a few ridiculous claims ($5K worth of stuff? Really?).

Anyone who is a veteran of these forums knows of my admittedly overzealous rants regarding how non-Japanese PSU players were getting the short end of the stick in terms of game content and quality. I even brought it to Sega's official PSU forums, only to have everything suppressed or censored in the end, along with anyone else who said anything critical about the game. Although I'm sure I ended up pissing a lot of people off, most people knew that it was wrong for Sega to keep doing this to us, yet were either complacent enough to not do anything about it, or simply server-hopped for the remainder of the game's lifetime.

And although I wasn't around here to witness it first-hand, I have heard other people mention that similar things have happened with Blue Burst and the older games. Could've sworn there was a permanent Christmas lobby up at some point, maybe I'm wrong... :confused:

Obviously, there's an individual or clique at the top of the corporate ladder that would rather be racist, prideful assholes and manipulate everything to the point of driving the company into the ground rather than face the SHAMEFUR DISHPRAY of admitting their mistakes and properly dealing with FILTHY GAIJIN MARKETS. :rolleyes:

My point is, this shit has been going on for YEARS, and sadly, I don't see it changing anytime soon. If they won't listen to us, then they won't get any money from us either.

Ideally, I'm still awaiting the day that Sega finally does go completely bankrupt, and a worthy company, perhaps Nintendo, acquires the rights to their IP's and gives them the respect they deserve. I'll admit, Sonic games have been on a bit of an upswing lately, though...

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 11:58 AM
Ideally, I'm still awaiting the day that Sega finally does go completely bankrupt, and a worthy company, perhaps Nintendo, acquires the rights to their IP's and gives them the respect they deserve. I'll admit, Sonic games have been on a bit of an upswing lately, though...

I have secretly wanted this for years. Unfortunately, I doubt Nintendo would be the company to pounce on it. We'd probably be seeing EA making PS games and well...

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 12:11 PM
I have secretly wanted this for years. Unfortunately, I doubt Nintendo would be the company to pounce on it. We'd probably be seeing EA making PS games and well...

^Now I don't blame this thought one bit I know quite a number who actually share this same outlook with sega being an ass on some subjects if not all the devs are not doing jack shit either.

I honestly wanna know where in the hell they are loafing there asses at right now

Can't blame ppl who wanna see that happened either.

Shinamori
Jun 3, 2013, 12:12 PM
Oh god. No. EA with make Mags like 2000 AC. 30day Premium would be like 5000AC.

レッドファンタシースター
Jun 3, 2013, 12:37 PM
I'm still waiting for the American one, haha..

pso2love
Jun 3, 2013, 01:20 PM
He never stated if he did anything bad or not, such as hacking, cheating, spamming in the lobby, being an asshole, harassing people, etc. If he just suddenly got banned and he did nothing wrong to justify it, I can totally understand him being outraged. But if he was doing harm to other players, then maybe he deserved the ban.

I also thought this as well, in which I also added asking for an explanation in the email I sent to this person... to which I am still waiting for a response.

Income Taxs
Jun 3, 2013, 01:32 PM
So if anyone had to vote for a company to take over production of Phantasy Star games, who would we like to see do it?

pso2love
Jun 3, 2013, 01:41 PM
So if anyone had to vote for a company to take over production of Phantasy Star games, who would we like to see do it?

I want SEGA to take on new management... Keep Sakai and his team, because they're not the one's who are in the wrong, when it comes to the Phantasy Star series.

pso2love
Jun 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
I got a response from pso2gaijin by email. Here it is:

Hello,

To clarify, I still have no clue why I was banned. I had the theory that it might be because my equipment really was at the time perhaps the best on any ship. That's what happens when you pour basically every waking hour into learning game systems and trading to achieve enough in-game currency to perform proper affixing.

I do note that it happened within 24 hours of myself crafting some incredible 5 slot units. At the time, you couldn't even trade 10* objects, so I had to farm a boss for hundreds of hours just to get a set of units which each dropped with 5 or more slots (using booster items, affixing is generally very easy if you start with a unit that already has the desired number of slots, and basically impossible if you try to add a slot in the process).

After sending a link to my website to sega on two separate occasions using the designated forms they'd ignored me through in the past, SEGA finally replied! Gosh, I was excited to see the email. What was written within was was essentially 'rule 8 - no foreigners.'

So yes, SEGA have in essence confirmed I was banned for being a foreign player. What lead to my initial report, I have no idea. I do suspect it was my amazing devotion to affixing high tier armor and weapons.

I would have updated this on the website, but I feel there's more to happen before I write up this period of events.

the exact text of SEGA's response was:

誠にありがとうございます。

▼ 利用規約
(※第2条の「8」項目をご確認ください)'

I responded to this, but they have once again gone silent.

I have, to my mind, exhausted most avenues for appeal and to get my account back. That was my initial effort. When SEGA simply wouldn't respond, that's when I put the site up, as a way to make them acknowledge me and to treat me with the respect all customers should receive. I have had Japanese players help me with my translations, but I can't claim to have an army of Japanese friends working at my disposal. Most of my Japanese friends in PSO2 I knew by their in-game handle and if I ever needed to contact them, I'd send them a message or use the whisper function. SEGA cut my access to the majority of them simply by cutting my service.

My efforts are not about screwing over SEGA, and I'm not trying to do that. What I'm trying to do is to make SEGA take a look at and correct their behavior. I think it's doable, but someone needs to tell them very loudly, for their own good, that things aren't alright, we aren't happy with how they've treated us, and they need to make some changes so that they can maximize their revenue and fanbase in future.

The one thing that corporations generally watch out for is cash flow. If we can vote with our wallets for a better service, I've got to believe that at some point SEGA is going to provide that service to rescue their share values.

Feel free to post this on PSO-World if you like. I've always found it a very volatile site and I wasn't sure how the community there would react. They tend to adopt a stance of not complaining and hoping SEGA will come good on its own, despite a lot of history and evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for your message and for raising awareness,

PSO2GAIJIN

Anon_Fire
Jun 3, 2013, 01:53 PM
Man...would Sega actually try again and go ahead and make there servers global again as back in those days with PSO and PSOBB? I highly doubt they would for PSO2.

BUT! If they did I can pretty much say I know how it would turn out.

Um, PSOBB was not globally connected.

Gardios
Jun 3, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm still a bit dumbfounded as to what he's trying to get SEGA to say. "Okay, we'll unban you, try to be less foreign from now on."? Asking them to ignore their own ToS is, uh...

MetalDude
Jun 3, 2013, 01:58 PM
He's pointed out on numerous occasions that their level of care in actually enforcing that rule was extremely low. It's the fact that they're using it as an incredibly poor crutch for banning the guy is what makes it stupid. The fact that most of us aren't already banned (when it comes to a very simple IP check) says a lot on how little they care about the rule.

Cyclon
Jun 3, 2013, 02:00 PM
Okay, I can see how I'm being really predictable here but... is he REALLY speaking about this place?

pso2love
Jun 3, 2013, 02:01 PM

PSO on the Dreamcast was, not sure about PSOBB

thematesV2
Jun 3, 2013, 02:02 PM
I don't understand this guy. If he was old enough to work full time (enough to drop 5k plus in one year) then he should have known better than to expect at any given moment, he could lose all of that. there never has been any type of official 'cash out' in PSO games where you could sell off all your stuff for real-world currency. so he would have lost the 5k now, or 10,15,20k in 2/3/4 years....

if he wasn't old enough to work full time, he was rich. *(even if he did work full time, having an extra 5k a year to drop on a game is borderline rich, in my opinion..)

I say he played the game, had fun, and lost in the end. as we all will one day.

Anon_Fire
Jun 3, 2013, 02:03 PM
PSO on the Dreamcast was, not sure about PSOBB

I did play PSOBB when it was still up, and it was not global.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 02:46 PM

Yeah I meant to fix my post I alrdy know PSOBB had private servers I was mostly talking about PSO though in a sense.

Also it could be that he spent a legitimate amount of time in the game he gave him his money sure, but now it's like hey dude thanks for your money now that we kinda like ya know wasted you lets ban you now. It's liek you know this person has stolen something from you yet you lead him on thinking you never noticed and you out fo nowhere decide to take action after all that time he she invested it's a dick move which is pretty apparent. Sre we are bashing him because he got banned, but in all fucking honesty if it were you and this happens to you your ass would be just as pissed as him.

I find it funny when it's not us in another person shoes we feel we have to right to spout about stuff like that.

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 02:51 PM
I don't think he said he spent 5k, unless I glossed over that part (And, to be fair, I did a bit of glossing).

He said the items on his account are worth 5k.

The items on my account will easily range in the thousands, because I spent meseta to buy them from people who did scratch to get them.

Remember: Every costume and AC scratch item costs someone, somewhere real money. It has real money value. It just didn't cost YOU real money.

ShinMaruku
Jun 3, 2013, 02:55 PM
Nintendo?! Take Two. They'd do it.
Sega won't go bankrupt though. Sammy too strong.

gigawuts
Jun 3, 2013, 02:57 PM
I would pay some good fucking money to see 2K work on PSO.

Oh my god please.

Alisha
Jun 3, 2013, 03:37 PM
fuck that. either bring back alfa system or get tri ace.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 03:52 PM
Alright people we got 3 calls ont hese guys.

1. 2K

2 Afla.

3 Tri Ace.

do I hear anymoar?

blace
Jun 3, 2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Games please.

Sega needs to renew their contract with them and put out another PS game.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 03:58 PM

1. 2K

2 Afla.

3 Tri Ace.

4 Platinum

do I hear anymoar?

Edit: We have Platinum!

Totori
Jun 3, 2013, 04:27 PM

1. 2K

2 Afla.

3 Tri Ace.

do I hear anymoar?

Eww, they are all horrible choices...
2K- Have you seen their work recently?
Alfa- How would they do better, have they even managed a game like this before?
Tri Ace- Freaking Tri Ace?!, You guys will loathe the new grinding and impossible drop rate, they place in.

Also I believe dude got banned because he was doing something he shouldn't have.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 04:31 PM
Eww, they are all horrible choices...
2K- Have you seen their work recently?
Alfa- How would they do better, have they even managed a game like this before?
Tri Ace- Freaking Tri Ace?!, You guys will loathe the new grinding and impossible drop rate, they place in.

Also I believe dude got banned because he was doing something he shouldn't have.

The last thing you wanna do is take anything that isn't srs or off topic to srsly let us lighten the thread up a bit give it some time.

BIG OLAF
Jun 3, 2013, 04:33 PM

That would be interesting actually, but I doubt anyone would pick up the Phantasy Star name and rights. For some insane reason, it's one of the least-known franchises in SEGA's repertoire (at least anywhere outside of Japan), often getting completely left out of collaboration games such as Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.

ShinMaruku
Jun 3, 2013, 04:42 PM
Take Two owns 2k they also own Rockstar and they are fucking awesome publishers. I vote Take Two. If you are playing this game and are not Japanese you are doign something you should not have. It's against the TOS :E

Totori
Jun 3, 2013, 05:00 PM
Take Two owns 2k they also own Rockstar and they are fucking awesome publishers. I vote Take Two. If you are playing this game and are not Japanese you are doign something you should not have. It's against the TOS :E

Eww, Take-Two, handle a JRPG like this it'll get the shaft even more.
Also, not so fast... You can be of any nationality, it's if you are outside of Japan, not non-Japanese. Then your breaking TOS.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 3, 2013, 05:02 PM

Nintendo so we can have it the Mario and Punch Out crossovers =) I bought and found a pair of boxing gloves in game so they even have themed equipment already :D

As long as EA or Square don't it's good. Square for the past decade lives up to its name those fun hating squares! Give us games like you used to!

pso2love
Jun 3, 2013, 06:20 PM

pso2gaijin stated in his response that he wasn't doing anything wrong. I think it was just more of "I'm a japanese player, and that non-japanese player is doing very well on our servers... we should get him in trouble so we don't have to worry about him/her anymore." Jealousy... then again I dont know pso2gaijin personally to know if he/she is telling the truth or not.

Cyclon
Jun 3, 2013, 06:29 PM
pso2gaijin stated in his response that he wasn't doing anything wrong. I think it was just more of "I'm a japanese player, and that non-japanese player is doing very well on our servers... we should get him in trouble so we don't have to worry about him/her anymore."
Making yourself look paranoid is never a good way to convince people of anything. If that person wants anyone to support him, he shouldn't suggest things he cannot prove.
:s

Kion
Jun 3, 2013, 06:32 PM
誠にありがとうございます。

▼ 利用規約
(※第2条の「8」項目をご確認ください)'

"Thank you for your love of the Phantasy Star Series. Unfortunately this game is only intended for access from within Japan. Please confirm the ToS rules in respect to accessing the game from a foreign country."

"Hey, I'm violating the ToS, but can you unban my account?" seems like a hard position to try and argue from. Also, why do I not recall him mentioning this on his blog? It's not a detailed response, but it's not like he was completely ignored.

I don't think he said he spent 5k, unless I glossed over that part (And, to be fair, I did a bit of glossing). He said the items on his account are worth 5k.

I really wonder where he's getting these numbers from as well. He said he spent hundreds of dollars on the game for tickets, but his items are worth thousands of dollars. The problem is that claim is null and void, because once you put money into the game it's Sega money and you can't take it out. Either that or he's measuring by some kind of RMT standard (1mil meseta costs 500 yen), maybe?

I get what he's trying to say, but it's a really poor way of saying it. If 5k of value for 3000 hours of gameplay seems more valuable, you can multiply those hours by minimum wage to get the value of what he could have had actually doing something constructive. Mostly nitpicking, but "I had xx meseta, every item in the game, and all of the classes maxed" or something to that effect would have been a much better description.

MetalDude
Jun 3, 2013, 06:36 PM
Ok, am I the only one that actually read the thing over? He stated a lot of reasons as to why that portion of the ToS is practically null legally speaking. They used that as the reason for his banning but it's really clear from almost all of their actions that they don't actually care.

The Walrus
Jun 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
I skimmed it when he posted it on GFAQs. I chalked it all up to him being butthurt

SakuRei
Jun 3, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hmm I feel the same way for this guy getting banned out of no reason, though at least for me I got myself back up. Though the harsh part for him is spending a lot of AC's for that one. Condolence for this guy. Though I've heard from loading AC guides to "use this method at your own risk" so yeah, he/she/it broke SEGA's ToS though but still I feel sorry for him.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/38380967.jpg

Rekku
Jun 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
He has a point with SEGA normally not caring about that part of the ToS, plus people in this thread stating that if SEGA really did care, they would ban everyone in B20/IP ban literally everyone. It's like they pick and choose who to ban solely based on them being noticed. I'm surprised this guy lasted 3000 hours. Anyway, like others have said, he shoulda kept a low profile, and he wouldn't have gotten reported/noticed by the people who hand out bans. Assuming he actually didn't break another rule, but if he did it would have been included in that email.

It simply boils down to SEGA being lazy with bans. They ban on a whim, and only ban people who get otherwise noticed - most likely through reports. They let the foreigners play for money, then when they get tired of them and want them off the server - "ohh look you broke the ToS sorry. We're gonna enforce that now." They use it as an excuse, and they use it to justify banning whenever they want, while ignoring it long enough to make money off the players. I can only assume that's why they don't just IP ban everyone; it's for the money.

You can see where I'm coming from, right? They don't care about the ToS rule, but they do. Obviously it's only there for the times when they need to justify their racism.

Shinamori
Jun 3, 2013, 06:59 PM
I still think he did something that cause Sega to flag him.

blace
Jun 3, 2013, 07:03 PM

He never did say what he does on a regular basis. For all we know he could've been just an innocent bystander, or did things that irritated others and caught the attention of the community in a negative light.

Skyly HUmar
Jun 3, 2013, 07:16 PM
Or maybe he got caught hacking. I know this has been said before, but in my experience as well, the only time ive seen someone banned is when they were cheating.

Not pointing fingers but from my personal experience thats the most likely case.

Zenobia
Jun 3, 2013, 08:05 PM

Also do remember sega did this not long ago awhile back ppl were wrongfully banned and they tagged sega for it when they were trying to target botters and or rmters or w/e the hell ti may have been.

Totori
Jun 3, 2013, 09:07 PM
No, seriously he had have done something to get flagged for a ban. Played with hackers, did some hacking himself, RMT, could be endless. Also SEGA does not have to state why they banned him.

He surely wasn't banned because of the paranoid theory of his success, or SEGA's "racism". That's just a really stupid conclusion...

My reaction to this all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ut4XvxZngM

MetalDude
Jun 3, 2013, 09:12 PM
Because clearly SEGA can't be wrong and they clearly haven't done stupid shit like this in the past.

No sir, not at all.

Meta77
Jun 3, 2013, 09:48 PM
Still though sega knows they have a ton of american players online. So I think he did something. i mean seriously I see English players all the time. There are english players on streaming sites, and b20.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 4, 2013, 05:00 AM
He has a point with SEGA normally not caring about that part of the ToS, plus people in this thread stating that if SEGA really did care, they would ban everyone in B20/IP ban literally everyone. It's like they pick and choose who to ban solely based on them being noticed. I'm surprised this guy lasted 3000 hours. Anyway, like others have said, he shoulda kept a low profile, and he wouldn't have gotten reported/noticed by the people who hand out bans. Assuming he actually didn't break another rule, but if he did it would have been included in that email.

It simply boils down to SEGA being lazy with bans. They ban on a whim, and only ban people who get otherwise noticed - most likely through reports. They let the foreigners play for money, then when they get tired of them and want them off the server - "ohh look you broke the ToS sorry. We're gonna enforce that now." They use it as an excuse, and they use it to justify banning whenever they want, while ignoring it long enough to make money off the players. I can only assume that's why they don't just IP ban everyone; it's for the money.

You can see where I'm coming from, right? They don't care about the ToS rule, but they do. Obviously it's only there for the times when they need to justify their racism.

At least Sega's willing to ban someone, though I doubt those "someones" would be Japanese (or even any) hackers on western servers, if they were to hypothetically attack them. The guy who posted though doesn't deserve the ban.

Naros
Jun 4, 2013, 06:53 AM
I don't think he said he spent 5k, unless I glossed over that part (And, to be fair, I did a bit of glossing).

He said the items on his account are worth 5k.

The items on my account will easily range in the thousands, because I spent meseta to buy them from people who did scratch to get them.

Remember: Every costume and AC scratch item costs someone, somewhere real money. It has real money value. It just didn't cost YOU real money.

Looking at the letter...

"I’ve given them hundreds of dollars in this game alone in this year alone, and thousands of dollars over the course of my lifetime."

Says right there that he spent hundreds, not thousands. It's pretty clear he means he has 5k in assets, not that he paid 5k. If you play for 3000 hours, have premium and flip stuff on the market, 5k makes sense to me.

I agree with the cause and I hope that SEGA listens.

Mike
Jun 4, 2013, 07:40 AM
I agree with the cause and I hope that SEGA listens.
They won't. Until the poster can come in to agreement with the terms of the TOS, the cause is lost.

gigawuts
Jun 4, 2013, 08:14 AM
Well, that's the whole problem, isn't it?

Companies create TOS's that can't reasonably be, and won't be, abided by by a large majority of players due to tiny and obscure rules. This gives the company a fallback option to ban someone they just don't like for breaking the little known rule in section 12 subsection B56.13 "You will never say 'the' in two adjoined sentences."

Then they just don't reinforce the rule until it's convenient for them. Which is what people REALLY don't understand. Why ban someone who isn't causing any problems if they're paying money and spreading interest in the game?

kornkid212
Jun 4, 2013, 09:30 AM
I completely agree with the writer of the blog.

Hope Sega opens their eyes.

Sierhiet
Jun 4, 2013, 12:58 PM
If he had done something ban worthy, I'm quite sure the response he received would have noted it. Irregardless of SoJ prejudices, it would've given them the opportunity to save face if hacking was indeed the case. Which, despite how childish and xenophobic it sounds, gives his assumption of jealous player flagging a little weight.

With that said, I took the opportunity to read the whole thing and I don't quite understand what he was expecting. He, like everyone else, understood the risks of investing time into the Japanese servers. I get the sense that he feels as if his money overrules or can dictate the Terms of Service. None of the points he made were really valid either. The ToS has always been there, with the exception of that short time in between closed and open beta. It has been nearly a year since the amendment, and there have been numerous bans in that time period.

I understand his disenchantment with Sega's foreign support, but you can't set a red line AFTER you've dumped that amount of passion and money into the situation. He's coming off simply as a scorned mistress. The union wasn't meant to be in the first place, and now he's upset because it didn't work out? If he wanted to prove a point, he should have decided to not support them at all from the gate, or waited for his local release and demanded decent service then.

Anon_Fire
Jun 4, 2013, 01:08 PM
He never did say what he does on a regular basis. For all we know he could've been just an innocent bystander, or did things that irritated others and caught the attention of the community in a negative light.

It's possible he was seen in a out-of-bounds area in the lobby.

Sammickk
Jun 4, 2013, 01:20 PM
Well, that's the whole problem, isn't it?

Companies create TOS's that can't reasonably be, and won't be, abided by by a large majority of players due to tiny and obscure rules. This gives the company a fallback option to ban someone they just don't like for breaking the little known rule in section 12 subsection B56.13 "You will never say 'the' in two adjoined sentences."

Then they just don't reinforce the rule until it's convenient for them. Which is what people REALLY don't understand. Why ban someone who isn't causing any problems if they're paying money and spreading interest in the game?

Pretty Much this, i'll explain why I think this bit him in a bit, but...

Everyone keeps saying he's trying yo get his account unbanned with this letter he just states HE WANTED AN EXPLANATION. i don't think most people that commented even read or glanced at the letter....

SO, that being said what i took from his post was that he was mostly complaining about the treatment westerners seem to keep suffering from SOJ, (apearing to be racist towards non japanese) this one being the last straw for him. I think he knew there was a risk of ban, but based on what sakai had posted, he figured there was almost no possible way.

NOW, assuming we got the whole truth from him, I suspect someone, most likely a japanese player, perhaps was jealous and knew they could get him on rule 8 subsection B, ammendmant C etc etc..

OR, he was doing something else that caused him to get flagged. Though i think this is not likely...

Zenobia
Jun 4, 2013, 01:56 PM
Still find it stupid that half of ya are still name calling the guy instead of looking at the whole big picture the guy wanted an explanation point blank sega won't answer point blank the other things he threw in about how much he spent how many hours he played showed his passion for the fucking game.

Im sure you all put a lot of hours and dished your money at them to. If Sega even gave a second thought if they wanted to randomly ban anyone of us assholes you would be just as pissed and mind fucked as this guys as well and yeah we haven't done anything wrong either.

The sega hit him up is like saying "Okay guy we have your money now thx now gtfo". I dunno what you guys are defending but sega has done some pretty messed up things before regardless of that fact even if we don't know what he did that doesn't give us the auto right to assume he fucked up on a whole diff caliber besides the TOS.

Also saying even if he did violate the tos of the "No foreigners" rule he clearly said sega didn't give him an explanation now fro what I understand and know Japanese have a deep respect about them selves I say they at least owe him that much.

Stop acting like shitheads because the next man got fucked cause you can't tell me that if it wasn't you you wouldn't be pissed off on a whole another lvl as well its jackasses like that I don't like.

Sierhiet
Jun 4, 2013, 02:03 PM
Still find it stupid that half of ya are still name calling the guy instead of looking at the whole big picture the guy wanted an explanation point blank sega won't answer point blank the other things he threw in about how much he spent how many hours he played showed his passion for the fucking game.

Think you missed pso2love's post with the response.

Zenobia
Jun 4, 2013, 02:08 PM
Think you missed pso2love's post with the response.

Thx for that I surely did lol.

Sierhiet
Jun 4, 2013, 02:16 PM
Thx for that I surely did lol.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Youre-Welcome-Obama-Reaction-Gif.gif