PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Sega's plans for a US/EU release of PSO2

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hello everyone.
I've joined this site's forum just now because I love the Phantasy Star Series and want to see as many people as I can join in what I find to be a wonderfully fun series. As many of you know, SEGA has done an exceptional job of making sure not to share any information regarding this game's world wide release. This has caused a rather aggrivating sense of uncertainty over whether or not this game will even HAVE a worldwide release. I wanted to start a thread to help spread awareness to the fanbase and to encourage everyone who has devolped interest in the franchise to bug/annoy/encourage Sega of America to share information regarding the state of PSO2 Worldwide. All I can share is the facebook page, as it is the only one directly linked to the official website. Hopefully if enough of us show displeasure over the lack of info following the (non) showing at E3, Sega will be so kind as to talk to us and give us the time of day. As I am not to savvy with the internet, any following posters who know other sites to help push these plans forward, feel free to link to them so we can help let our voice be heard! I don't know where else to turn to other than a fan-site as big as this one! I hope everyone who is reading will lend a hand so we can get some clarity regarding the plans SEGA has neglected to share! Thank you guys for your support!

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
https://www.facebook.com/sega.pso2?filter=2

Sid
Jun 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
I have ben bugging sega on there fb page a LOT XD

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
I have posted alot today, and will continue to reply to any new post I see on there in a (possibly vain) attempt to get Sega to listen to us.

The Walrus
Jun 13, 2013, 04:32 PM
At this point consider it a lost cause.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:32 PM
Thats the thing though, I don't want it to be. If sega was to announce it as dead, so be it. I just want them to LET US KNOW.

The Walrus
Jun 13, 2013, 04:38 PM
At this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're simply trying to ignore it and just let it die off over here.

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
If the site and Facebook page mysteriously dissappear, I wouldn't be surprised.

Since that hasn't happened yet, some news or even details of what's to come would at least be welcome.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
As a business, I feel that would be the absolute worst way to handle it. A normal company would be up front with their customers and share a general sense of what was going on with a project such as this. They are causing alot of friction with customers like me who have followed the game to such ends. Having to resort to playing on foreign servers is just not how I want to introduce my friends to the series. There is alot of bad blood that builds up when a company treats it's consumers in such a blunt way, and I don't want to hate SEGA because I grew up with them. All they need to do is just say one thing. ANYTHING regarding the state of the game

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 04:48 PM
The only statement, if it can be called that, was blankly saying that he can't say anything on it. Not even to assure the fanbase that the game is still on the horizon, but to make an excuse to delay the information further.

Not even SoJ has said a thing about it being released in the west after that initial announcement.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
Is this true? I bought a computer after the game was announced to come out over here. Even if that was the case, how can they just ignore any post they see when fans are (rightfully I feel) so totally confused on whether this game will happen or not?

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 04:52 PM
It was a comment response by Edward@Sega. I'll need to look for the comment on the announcement page and the E3 lineup page.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks for going through the trouble! I still feel though, that if we can make our presence heard loud enough, they could grow a brain and decide to aknowledge us. I don't think I've seen a company handle something in such a heavy handed way before!

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
Oddly enough, or maybe not, the PSO2 announcement page on Sega's site has mysteriously dissappeared along with the comment on the E3 lineup page.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Edit: Never mind, the new layout was confusing me, back to my search.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 05:00 PM
When did that happen? When's the last time anyone saw that page?

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 05:02 PM
I really am new to this "internet" thing, but you guys sound like SEGA has a really bad history with developing this game. Have they been hush like this the whole time they've been working on this game?

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 05:04 PM
The comment I saw on the E3 Lineup page is gone, so that can't be done, but after looking through just Edwards comments, it's all the same with "I can't go into details nor do I plan on giving any".

Hey everyone. The statement in the article is correct and the game is delayed. I wish I had more exact details I could give you: it is a huge project and we want to do our best to bring it, in fullness and with proper support, to the West. Right now that’s all I have to add — I promise we’ll keep you updated when there is more. Thank you for all of your patience (and even the impatience is perfectly understandable), I’m sorry it’s been so long without news.
That was dated March 26th.

Subsequent posts afterwards all imply that he can't give any details without consent from his superiors.

I'm not sure what to say though, his last comment on the PSO2 announcement was dated March 27th saying just that. We do not have any other info besides the delay and whether the game has gone into limbo.

Requiem Aeternam
Jun 13, 2013, 05:05 PM
I think it's because Sega handled PSU really poorly and it seems like PSO2 will probably end up with similar treatment.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 05:09 PM
I feel we should pressure "Edward@Sega" to talk with his superiors. It has been too much of a blackout, and putting Sega under some pressure let's them know that THEIR money is at stake. It has been way too long for a game like this to not be giving any light shed on it. Just think of other games if their community was shut out like this! Their fans would be up in ARMS yelling at the company to share what they've been doing with their time! I REALLY feel like this is one of the worst offenses on a fan-group's goodwill.

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 05:12 PM
To be fair, with how JP PSO2 is now you're not missing much besides skimpy costumes and lack of proper attire for males. Actual content, there isn't much.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 05:16 PM
Even if the game isn't the best thing ever, I really want to have the chance to experience the game myself. I really enjoy games with custom chars. and most MMO-ish games tend to have static skill button combat. I like the sci-fi setting and the action combat so I want to try it out. At this point, it's almost like I want to pick a fight with SEGA just so I can get a chance to buy their product, as stupid as that sounds. This is the most retarded kind of problem to have, but SEGA seems to be numb to fan-desire.

Noc Codez
Jun 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
Even if the game isn't the best thing ever, I really want to have the chance to experience the game myself. I really enjoy games with custom chars. and most MMO-ish games tend to have static skill button combat. I like the sci-fi setting and the action combat so I want to try it out. At this point, it's almost like I want to pick a fight with SEGA just so I can get a chance to buy their product, as stupid as that sounds. This is the most retarded kind of problem to have, but SEGA seems to be numb to fan-desire.

If that's the case why wait for the English release ? SOA track record speaks for themselfs and pso2 will be no different. Try out the JP servers we have a strong English community that's growing each day and there's a fan based English patch which translates 90% of the game plus we actually get great support content wise.

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 05:37 PM
There's still the possible ban, just for logging in from a foreign IP. A few leftover accounts I made, seemed to have been banned. It's not very likely since they acknowledge us, but it is possible.

There's also the lack of support and markups we have to pay in order to use AC.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
I actualy started playing the game in the JP servers not very long ago. I got the english patches and stuff for the menu, but I really feel the experience is hardly as nice as having a fully english setup. I really feel that it's cool that a dedicated group of fans are able to show their support by translating an MMO on such a regular basis is cool, but at any point they can just stop doing it. If that happens, if you didn't speak/read japanese (like me), then you would be stymied when you attempt to continue on. Having the english support is nice, even if it is less than stellar, as that means you can trust that the content will be in English until the day the servers close.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 05:56 PM
Or you can take it as an opportunity to expand your faculties.

Katakana is surprisingly easy to learn, and is what most of the menu and even items are written in. It's actually usually english, just written in different letters. It's very fun to learn, in a math blaster kind of way.

I liked math blaster.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 05:59 PM
Or you can take it as an opportunity to expand your faculties.

Katakana is surprisingly easy to learn, and is what most of the menu and even items is written in. It's actually english, just written in different letters. It's very fun to learn, in a math blaster kind of way.

I liked math blaster.

That is an amusing idea. KATAKANA BLASTER~RU!!!! I feel like I need to fight this uphill battle though. Many of my friends I want to play this game with either need the playstation versions (are those a thing even?) or are totaly scared off by the moon-runes. That's why I'm so adamant about the localized version, not trying to be super picky, but games tend to be more fun when played with close friends!

The Walrus
Jun 13, 2013, 06:01 PM
Damn shame this game is shit no matter how good the company is.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
That is an amusing idea. KATAKANA BLASTER~RU!!!! I feel like I need to fight this uphill battle though. Many of my friends I want to play this game with either need the playstation versions (are those a thing even?) or are totaly scared off by the moon-runes. That's why I'm so adamant about the localized version, not trying to be super picky, but games tend to be more fun when played with close friends!

That's a really common stance that's posted often here, and doesn't make you picky at all. But, getting into the game isn't actually as difficult as a lot of people seem to feel at first. The hardest part is most definitely learning your first few katakana characters, and/or convincing friends.

For the first few katakana characters, just go with the first one or two characters in the names of items you see a lot. For the friends, you may be able to convince one, but if not you can try playing with some of the people around here. Many people here are happy to help new players start, and I believe I've read about a few making it their focus.

That said, don't get your hopes up too high for PSO2. It's F2P first, PS second. A lot of familiar mechanics are in it, both good and bad, and the game really focuses on using the RNG.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 06:06 PM
Is there like a new player lobby meet up thingy on this site? Or do I have to make one in a different board? Either way though, I'm still gonna go guns blazing in pestering SEGA! It only seems like the right thing to do right now!

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 06:09 PM
Besides the usual ship 2 block 20 for meeting up with other english speaking players, there isn't much else.

As for the Sony version it's on the PS Vita, a few others and myself have it on there, but we're limited to blocks 101-220. 100's being Vita only and 200's being PC and Vita.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 06:13 PM
Well, there's Player Matchup (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18) forum, but that isn't as viewed as this one. There's also the main english block, block 20, which I should warn you is going to get you an interesting collection of players (most would say bad, some would say good, I'm not saying anything).

PSO2 is a pretty easy game to actually get into. If you've played PSO1 or PSZ you know all about mags. If you've played PSU you know all about photon arts. The grinding system is like PSU's, except weapons don't break. Some say it's better, some say it's worse (again, not saying anything).

The only real new thing is class management. Each class has a skilltree. For the classes themselves, there's Hunter, Ranger, and Force. When you hit level 30 you unlock access to a whole different class, with different strengths and weaknesses (Fighter, Gunner, & Techer respectively). In addition to that, there is now subclassing. You can choose any class, then pick any of the other 5 classes and tack on its entire skilltree + 20% of its stats to your main class.

You'll pick up everything else on the fly, it's fairly easy to figure out. I actually started before there was an english patch, and learned the entire game without being able to read anything. I never really felt like I was limited, I really found it just as challenging as any game should be. Only later did I think to try learning to read anything. I still don't use the english patch, and still can't read most of the game.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
That's pretty goofy...why Vita before PS3? Is the handheld THAT popular over there? Thanks for the info on that stuff! I literally am new to the game (maybe like lv17 or so on my highest class) so it might be awhile before I climb up to the more avid fans here!
Maybe I should make another thread dedicated to Noobs who want to start from the beggining and work their way up in a group? Also does the game have voice chat support or do I need like skype or something? Thanks!

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 06:16 PM
Oh, it won't be put onto consoles at all. It's purely PC and vita. The vita is only really so players can play it on the go - I think if there was a handheld that compared to PC's like vita does to consoles, they'd be using that instead. But, there isn't, and they've had a long standing relationship with Sony, so it was a good fit. The vita version is really the exact same game, same servers and everything.

There's also a mobile version in the works, which isn't actually the full game but instead a bunch of minigames to get you stuff in the real game.

Also, I hadn't realized you're already all set up, so glad to hear it :)

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I wanted to attempt some of the game before I tried to push for a localiztion. After I bought my computer, I had tried alot of online multiplayer games, but found the combat to be largely boring. PSO was really fun back in the day, and I liked PSU, despite (most) of it's flaws. PSO was just one of those games I liked alot as a kid, and seeing how it was being treated in the West kind of put me up-in-arms.
I'm really surprised how nice the feedback on this site is! I really just did register, but I feel like I got a bit of the sentiment you guys feel towards the game. You guys were helpful without needing to be, so I appreciate it! Thanks!

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 06:31 PM
I'd like to point out that if you can get your friends into the game and they want to do it from the Vita, they'll need either a JP PSN ID to download the game and its updates or import the game cartridge.

It's the same game all around with a minor setback on graphics.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 06:35 PM
Glad to help, man. I like the core gameplay of the game, but I'm not really satisfied with things like the weapon upgrade system and the loot system. It feels too cash grabby to me, and starts punishing the player for even trying later on in the game. It's a bit of a shame, really.

This may be why they're holding back the western release, actually. Games have attempted to use a similar setup in the west in the past, and they didn't do too well. Sega would certainly know that.

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 06:36 PM
Of course, without much word from their representative for the PS franchise, we can only speculate.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah. It really has to be a factor, though. There's really no way it's not. They might just ignore it, but it's still there.

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 06:40 PM
Like I said a couple pages ago, he last commented on March 27th of this year with gaps ranging from 3-5 months since the initial announcement and the Japanese release.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
Dang cash grab models! It is a shame that it gets like that later, but at least it's free I guess! I also posted in the LOOK FOR FRIENDS thread, so theres that too. Here, have a link!
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2987266#post2987266
I think I did that right...

Aslinng
Jun 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
Glad to help, man. I like the core gameplay of the game, but I'm not really satisfied with things like the weapon upgrade system and the loot system. It feels too cash grabby to me, and starts punishing the player for even trying later on in the game. It's a bit of a shame, really.
You didn't played Ragnok online, did you ? ^_^

blace
Jun 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
That's one game though, other games I've played that had a version run by Asiasoft didn't get the same treatment, albeit it's not much better. Nexon.

gigawuts
Jun 13, 2013, 07:08 PM
You didn't played Ragnok online, did you ? ^_^

If you didn't like it you shouldn't have played it enough to scar you so deeply that you bring it up every time someone says they dislike something you consider to be better.

The Walrus
Jun 13, 2013, 07:08 PM
I played RO on a private server. I got a glitch and jumped to level 81 randomly.

It was great.

Debtmeiser
Jun 13, 2013, 07:21 PM
Is that the one where you had to like rebirth your character to get the most advanced jobs? My friend was super big on that game when I was younger! I thought he was NUTS!