PDA

View Full Version : EP2...possible localization?

Sarthraa
Jun 15, 2013, 12:05 AM
Hey guys, I had a thought about Episode 2's release being so soon. Do any of you think that Sega is just waiting for EP2 to be released so they can push the entire game over to North America/Europe and not have it be behind in content like PSU was? This was just some thought I had on this today and I wanted to see if any of you think the same way.

The Walrus
Jun 15, 2013, 12:07 AM
It's possible. Don't get your hopes up though.

Sarthraa
Jun 15, 2013, 12:08 AM
It's possible. Don't get your hopes up though.

Oh no, I definitely don't have my hopes up. They were dashed and shattered when they delayed it...okay that was an exaggeration. :-P

HIT0SHI
Jun 15, 2013, 12:14 AM
Most likely not.

Niris
Jun 15, 2013, 12:15 AM
Doubt it.

Rosel
Jun 15, 2013, 12:25 AM
I hope it got cancelled. PSO2 will only serve to hurt the brand name in the US, which could cause problems for the localization of future titles.

Sandrokun
Jun 15, 2013, 01:01 AM
Given that most of us that play now are either able to through an english patch, or took the time to learn the game like I did all in japanese, I'm kinda hoping they don't localize it.

I mean, if I of all people can jump in blindly and play the game in japanese, then there's nothing really stopping anyone else from playing besides laziness.

pikachief
Jun 15, 2013, 01:16 AM
I think there's a higher chance at Episode 2 coming to Wii U before it comes to US to be honest.

Kaziel
Jun 15, 2013, 01:27 AM
I'm a little ashamed at how excited I used to be for this game.

I highly doubt we'll even get episode 2. It's been neglected for a year, will continue to be neglected for another, and then cease to be.

Play the Japanese version with the English patch. You'll be better off.

TaigaUC
Jun 15, 2013, 02:16 AM
Since ep 2 is almost ready, they would probably have shown it at E3 if that was the case.

ashley50
Jun 15, 2013, 05:00 AM
Not gonna happen.

shagia
Jun 15, 2013, 05:04 AM
even if they did, I don't think most people would be willing to switch by now...

AgemFrostMage
Jun 15, 2013, 06:26 AM
I gave up hope already. Too bad I wanted to buy extra talent trees for my techer and force and maybe a mag.

Shinamori
Jun 15, 2013, 08:29 AM
So then, what will you do they enforce some type of anti-Japanese IP ban?

shagia
Jun 15, 2013, 08:33 AM

I've been having that same thought for when PSO2 NA releases. It'll be a complete shame if they do.

Shadowth117
Jun 15, 2013, 08:38 AM

1. They won't
2. There are workarounds
3. They're too lazy to do it

But yeah, can I have a "lol no" option? Its unfathomably unlikely. I know Edward had said when PSU closed down that they were aware of "how much of a problem the content gap was", but given how little was done about that and the other supposed problems when that game was going in the US, despite them being noted by SEGA, I don't see them doing much this time.

Gama
Jun 15, 2013, 08:41 AM
not sure if sega wants that kind of reputation ^^

Shinamori
Jun 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
It's very unlikely, and I can only see them doing if there is a sudden rise in English "improper" playing. It was more of a thought. Altough, I myself wouldn't go through the trouble of using a proxy or whatever.

Gama
Jun 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
aside from some exceptions, most of the eng players that were troublesome, either got bored or got banned.

Demon Daniel
Jun 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
I doubt an Episode 2 will be featured for the Intl. version. I would be shocked if they were nice enough to do so.

strikerhunter
Jun 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, I had a thought about Episode 2's release being so soon. Do any of you think that Sega is just waiting for EP2 to be released so they can push the entire game over to North America/Europe and not have it be behind in content like PSU was? This was just some thought I had on this today and I wanted to see if any of you think the same way.

This is what I had come to believe but this is Sega of America so I doubt they'll do it.

kamisama85
Jun 15, 2013, 01:15 PM
1. They won't
2. There are workarounds
3. They're too lazy to do it.

They did for Rusty Hearts.

AgemFrostMage
Jun 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
I was going to start a thread asking if anyone asked Sega about PSO2 at E3, but someone somewhere else already said no PSO2 representatives there and wait for Tokyo Game Show. This implies western release is probably after September.

Sinue_v2
Jun 15, 2013, 08:34 PM
No. In fact, if they do localize it, they'll probably start out on the western servers from scratch and drip-feed content as usual. PSO2's administration is following a carefully parsed out content release schedule to keep players hooked over longer and longer stretches of time. They'll probably follow the same roadmap here to repeat the model, especially since so much content is on rotations in the FUN/AC scratch. Plus, they will pretty much have to, since they'll need to completely re-tailor the game to suit western audiences. For one, the AC scratch gatcha bullshit isn't going to fly so well over here. Secondly, the game is simply jam packed with tie-ins and crossover material that would either need to be removed entirely, licensed by their American/European distributors, or replaced with western equivalents. The licensing issues alone are going to be a nightmare to untangle. Well ok, that's probably a bit of hyperbole, but... remember that this is Sega we're talking about. They can't even coordinate with their own goddamned Western corporate branches, let alone numerous third party license holders. They couldn't even get/be bothered to try for approval from Pizza Hut & KFC for their promotional tie-ins to PSP2... and they're American-based companies.

I've heard the excuse that they're trying to shoot for a simultaneous release across all platforms for the West, but to me that stinks of the same bullshit as the "unique content" excuses they used on PSU. Staggered platform releases hasn't slowed their Japanese release schedule one iota, and you would think that their home nation of Japan would be the market they'd be most interested in providing mobile options from the get-go considering how much more common mobile computing/gaming is there than elsewhere.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea for Sega or Phantasy Star's image in the West if they just sit this iteration out. As bad as another botched content delivery schedule would be, by just not releasing the product - you're effectively making the exact same mistake... except with 100% of the content, in it's totality. If Sega doesn't release PSO2 in the West, then I suspect that the franchise can be considered officially dead outside of Japan and SEA.

Given that most of us that play now are either able to through an english patch, or took the time to learn the game like I did all in japanese, I'm kinda hoping they don't localize it.

I mean, if I of all people can jump in blindly and play the game in japanese, then there's nothing really stopping anyone else from playing besides laziness.

Fuck'em, I got mine? That how it is, huh?

I think you're mistaking "laziness" for "lack of relevance". Nobody aside from a small niche of uber-nerds is going to learn Japanese for a fucking game, because it's a wasted effort when there are plenty of other decent games available in English. If they released a new LotR game written and spoken entirely in Elvish, people wouldn't be "lazy" if they decided to pass it up rather than take the time to learn some stupid made-up fantasy language or play in half-measure through an incomplete patch. And Japanese might as well be Elvish for all the good it'll do for the vast majority of people in the job market.

That and it's just the principal of the thing. Most of us play because it's a boiler-plate game with the Phantasy Star title slapped on it... that's all. If Sega doesn't want to sell them a product, it's completely unreasonable to expect people to bend over backwards to give them their money. Fuck 'em if they don't want to work for our money... and I agree with the sentiment.

If you're willing to learn JP for a game, good on you I guess, but Sega is competing for our money against games like Elder Scrolls Online. You call people who don't want to learn Japanese (or download a bunch of patches that the player-base themselves had to come together to translate, build, and distribute) lazy? Then what of Sega, who is too goddamned lazy, incompetent, or just doesn't give a shit enough to bother actually competing for our money. You advocate an excuse for corporate laziness, yet admonish potential customers for not going out of their way to play a game that wasn't even intended for them. You hypocrite.

gravityvx
Jun 15, 2013, 10:10 PM
If they release it here, they will not change a thing besides some mild censoring to certain things most likely. The gatcha won't fly here? The majority of F2P MMOs thrive off that gamble shit here, especially the ones that came from korea. PSO2 will be no different, besides receiving content slower than anything you could possibly imagine if SoA keeps up their track record.

And the question won't be whether it succeeds or not, it will be whether or not the small niche community that it has, will tolerate everything they have in place currently, and I'm not talking about the scratch, that is normal. What is way off track are the drop rates, grind rates, affix rates when not 100%, the lack of difficulty, and massive class imbalance.

The Walrus
Jun 15, 2013, 10:11 PM
PSO2 would flop hard

Sinue_v2
Jun 15, 2013, 10:59 PM
If they release it here, they will not change a thing besides some mild censoring to certain things most likely.

Licensing issues and precedent indicate otherwise.

The gatcha won't fly here? The majority of F2P MMOs thrive off that gamble shit here, especially the ones that came from korea.

Can you name some that has a similar setups to PSO2's AC which are successful? Because I can't really see a game like League of Legends, Marvel Heroes, or (suspected) ESO succeeding where you're not allowed to just BUY the shit you want outright, but instead have to spend real money to gamble virtually on a random lot of junk and repeats in the hopes you get what you're looking for and (/or in the right color) like the world's most expensive baseball cards. Oh, sure, you could sell it in your shop for meseta... if you wanna just go ahead and pay a monthly fee on top of that.

Just the fact that you can't simply buy what you want is already a body blow... but throw a big steaming pile of "monthly subscription fee" on top of it?

Nope. Don't see it happening over here.

And the question won't be whether it succeeds or not, it will be whether or not the small niche community that it has, will tolerate everything they have in place currently, and I'm not talking about the scratch, that is normal. What is way off track are the drop rates, grind rates, affix rates when not 100%, the lack of difficulty, and massive class imbalance.

Yeah, well... I partly agree. I just never said anything about other issues being dealbreakers in and of themselves apart from the F2P bullshittery.

Totori
Jun 15, 2013, 11:53 PM
If they release it here, they will not change a thing besides some mild censoring to certain things most likely. The gatcha won't fly here? The majority of F2P MMOs thrive off that gamble shit here, especially the ones that came from korea. PSO2 will be no different, besides receiving content slower than anything you could possibly imagine if SoA keeps up their track record.

Censoring? What would actually get censored, PSO2 doesn't really have anything obscene in the game from most JRPG's?

gravityvx
Jun 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Can you name some that has a similar setups to PSO2's AC which are successful? Because I can't really see a game like League of Legends, Marvel Heroes, or (suspected) ESO succeeding where you're not allowed to just BUY the shit you want outright, but instead have to spend real money to gamble virtually on a random lot of junk and repeats in the hopes you get what you're looking for and (/or in the right color) like the world's most expensive baseball cards. Oh, sure, you could sell it in your shop for meseta... if you wanna just go ahead and pay a monthly fee on top of that.

Just the fact that you can't simply buy what you want is already a body blow... but throw a big steaming pile of "monthly subscription fee" on top of it?

Nope. Don't see it happening over here.

Depends on what you consider success, if making a profit off suckers for years through gambling and still going strong is success then, off the top of my head from the one's I've played...yeah, all korean localized mmos. If you can show me a F2P that came west that completely changed their business strategy aside from difficulty tweaks like lessening exp needed per level though, that'd probably make me feel better about any point you're trying to make. You may not like it, hell, no one may like it. But people will still continue to play these games because they enjoy it(or in pso2's case, a masochist), despite these glaring issues, as seen here on pso2.

TERA
Vindictus
Atlantica Online

Yeah, well... I partly agree. I just never said anything about other issues being dealbreakers in and of themselves apart from the F2P bullshittery.

Those issues I listed aside from difficulty are a very major part of their F2P bullshit.

Censoring? What would actually get censored, PSO2 doesn't really have anything obscene in the game from most JRPG's?

You'd be amazed at how stupid people are on this side of the planet, take TERA's Elin fiasco for example, and the still non stop bashing of those said players. You don't see little girls running around in wet see through bath towels in JRPGs, not in the ones I play anyway.

pikachief
Jun 16, 2013, 01:30 AM

We'll play the SouthEast Asia version.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/03/phantasy-star-online-2-english-version-coming-to-southeast-asia/

It'll be in English anyways. SoA doesn't even need to translate it, they just need servers. lol

EDIT: I know there's a lot more to it than just translation, but still! lol

Coatl
Jun 16, 2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah no..

May0
Jun 16, 2013, 02:21 AM
I'm not holding my breath. Their facebook page and their website hasn't been updated in ages.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ostp4k.png

UnLucky
Jun 16, 2013, 02:29 AM
HAhaha

Kilich
Jun 16, 2013, 02:38 AM
Honetsly, I think there's no point in that. NA audience will burn through the content in a month and then leave, because no pvp, raids/crafting and reputation grind.

Retehi
Jun 16, 2013, 02:45 AM
I'm not holding my breath. Their facebook page and their website hasn't been updated in ages.

Shouldn't Mike Myers be in Kanye's place in this case?

May0
Jun 16, 2013, 02:49 AM
Shouldn't Mike Myers be in Kanye's place in this case?

I was somewhat curious about the layout myself but kanye is so recognizable I felt the meme would carry better if it seemed he was saying it. I could have left Myer's face alone but I decided to spend an extra 100 hours in mspaint to transplant sucki's face.

I just needed a condescending looking asian Sega employee so I picked him.

In either case its just an image macro don't overanalyze it :-P

shagia
Jun 16, 2013, 02:52 AM

this image is just too perfect

UnLucky
Jun 16, 2013, 03:16 AM
Licensing issues and precedent indicate otherwise.I guess you could call that censorship. They'll be removed, in any case. Plus whatever else that "needs to be toned down."

Can you name some that has a similar setups to PSO2's AC which are successful?
What, like, all of them? You've seriously never seen a game with random prize boxes that you buy with real money? Anything from cosmetic costumes to gear upgrades or faster mounts.

Maple Story. Random hairstyles and features, random boxes full of cash shop items, along with all the rerolling you have to pay for to make your gear much much better than a free player's. Hundreds of dollars to max out your inventory space as just one example.

Atlantica (http://atlantica.nexon.net/Itemmall/item-mall/boxes). Click any of those and you'll see all the stuff you can randomly get for your real money purchase. Tons of features are locked to the cash shop, but most of them can be traded.

Spirit Tales (AKA Glory Destiny Online). [SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/Ca07ZgB.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX] That's the tooltip for the random mount boxes. Yeah.

Rusty Hearts has random costume boxes among other things.

Just pick up the next free online game you see and check out its cash shop. I guarantee you that it will have timed or random items in there. (No, I'm not saying "find me one game that doesn't do that" but I'd still like to know how rare that is)

Ranmaru
Jun 16, 2013, 03:16 AM
I have no idea. I'm tired of waiting, so I'm just going to play on the JP servers forever and ever and maybe on EN servers if one ever pops up. That's my mindset. I'm not going to wait and wait and wait and suffer. Yet I welcome the game here in NA, I do hope they are really trying to perfect it. That's really wishful thinking. Yet for now, going to have fun with JP.

EvilMag
Jun 16, 2013, 03:33 AM
Team Fortress 2 is also a big one. Even though its not really an MMO.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 16, 2013, 04:22 AM
nope, if PSO2 is localized, i have a strong feeling it'll be from day one content, and they'll outsource translations to another company like the one that translated FOmarl outfit to Formal outfit+^_^+ also they'll censor it like crazy, remove things like bath towels, etc. Otherwise the ESRB will make it M rated for explicit content for sure+^_^+

Sandrokun
Jun 16, 2013, 04:28 AM
Fuck'em, I got mine? That how it is, huh?

But I haven't learned a lick of japanese for it. There's a highly repetitive nature to the game and I use that 100% to my advantage and learned the game that way. Granted I do have to use a combination of bumped.org & the cirnopedia with help on what to do for CO's I haven't done yet. Just because I only have the option of playing on vita and thus no english patch doesn't mean I'm any worse off than anybody playing on pc, I just wont understand the story that's in place for the game. But then again I don't play mmo's for the story, I play them to have fun.

My point was if I can learn the mechanics of the game with just a little bit of work, there's nothing stopping everyone else that I always see posting/saying on forums around the net "It's taking too long to localize, I've lost faith in this game ; __ ;"

All in all the thing that cost me the most trouble this whole time playing this game was trying to decipher that japanese captcha when I signed up, and I didn't learn any japanese for that either, just like the rest of it I had to reference a short guide on how to get passed it.

So yes, I've worked for my enjoyment to actually learn how to play the game with just the same process I used to get through the half year it took me to beat dark souls the first time.

So this brings me back to my original point, if the rest of the people that want to play the game, but won't because it simply hasn't been localized and won't put in any effort to even TRY to play the japanese one with or without said english patch, then yeah, fuck 'em, I got mine.

Rien
Jun 16, 2013, 04:40 AM
You do need to know japanese to understand and appreciate the story, but then again story patch.

Sandrokun
Jun 16, 2013, 04:48 AM
You do need to know japanese to understand and appreciate the story, but then again story patch.

"Just because I only have the option of playing on vita and thus no english patch doesn't mean I'm any worse off than anybody playing on pc, I just wont understand the story that's in place for the game. But then again I don't play mmo's for the story, I play them to have fun."

blace
Jun 16, 2013, 05:29 AM
Can you name some that has a similar setups to PSO2's AC which are successful?
S4 League has a system that is more or less unfair, with the payout being high if lucky. You could spend hundreds of dollars on the sytem all to try to get a certain weapon, the pay out if sucessful is the weapon with improved stats.

It's being run by a European company somewhere in Germany, but they host the US servers and the english speaking community as well as communities relative to that region. They are the official US server as well.

Snip.
There is still that part of the ToS since its revision back in August of last year stating it is prohibited to play the game from outside of Japan or using proxies to play on their servers. You have to keep in mind, their support, if anything were to happen, is meant for the region and those of us outside of that region will not be given a second glance.

Even if the practice is to benefit yourself and to help you better enjoy the game, it won't do any good if you can no longer log in.

Rien
Jun 16, 2013, 05:30 AM
Successful he said, not that S4 bullshit.

massive waves of script kiddie hack programs killed that S4.

blace
Jun 16, 2013, 05:34 AM
Successful he said, not that S4 bullshit.

massive waves of script kiddie hack programs killed that S4.
It's still pretty successful in Europe even with the large number of script kiddies.

Vintasticvin
Jun 16, 2013, 07:40 AM
Isn't the western releases like a year to a year and a half late to the party to begin with? I mean we got both pso and "that game we vowed to never say its name" (PSU YEA I SAID PSU!) a later with day one stuff? SO if it does come to other regions outside of JApan hot diggity yo Ima be all over that like a alcoholic is on beer.

gigawuts
Jun 16, 2013, 08:02 AM
Yeah, the gacha system will work. It's the actual game content that won't. Typical western players will run into dudu and laugh their way to the uninstall button. Western gamers are pretty impatient, and are going to be very eager to say "F that noise" as soon as the game throws up its first major RNG-based hurdle that you have to pay to sidestep - F2P games are common and dispensable here. This will be nothing but the current month's F2P game for most people who sign up.

ScarletV
Jun 16, 2013, 08:46 AM
This will be nothing but the current month's F2P game for most people who sign up.

Example: Most of Steam's F2P library. Though, having the ability to establish teams will most likely keep players on for a bit longer than most. Wildstar and Firefall OB are on the horizon (knowing the success of shooters in US and all...), along with next-gen consoles; This game will not last outside of Japan, IMO.

Sinue_v2
Jun 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
I guess you could call that censorship. They'll be removed, in any case. Plus whatever else that "needs to be toned down."

I wouldn't call that censorship. That'd be like calling the original Star Wars trilogy the "censored" version because Lucas didn't have the money, ability, or time to spend on the special effects - whereas the remastered re-releases would be the "uncensored" versions.

Censoring applies more to conforming to social or moral normatives, such as a movie removing a brief nudity scene and some gore in order to get a PG rating.

What, like, all of them? You've seriously never seen a game with random prize boxes that you buy with real money? Anything from cosmetic costumes to gear upgrades or faster mounts.

I don't recall seeing a game in which random loot boxes are the ONLY means by which to introduce new accessory/costume/mount/etc content into the game. Most of those mentioned have cash shops in which you can outright purchase specific content you want, while also having loot boxes/grab-bags which offer a chance for higher-end gear.

.... but yeah, I suppose my experience with f2p MMOs is limited, and I'm just projecting my established biases onto the rest of the western gaming population. I guess we'll see if and when it launches. But I'll concede to being in error until PSO2 releases here and I can see which way it's trending.

Totori
Jun 16, 2013, 05:48 PM
You'd be amazed at how stupid people are on this side of the planet, take TERA's Elin fiasco for example, and the still non stop bashing of those said players. You don't see little girls running around in wet see through bath towels in JRPGs, not in the ones I play anyway.

Don't always use one game for an example, PSO2's content isn't nowhere close to badly. I don't see that many "little girl" characters using the wetbath towel too much anyway, also that kind of content you can't control. That's why the ESRB doesn't rate online interactions.

As for TERA's you can't dramatically change the height of the Elin. So yeah it's gonna get censored, it's really the company's decision. People are always gonna state their own voice, so if they don't like the players that use those characters, because for what ever reason they are disturbed by it.

PSO2 has no way to censor that, they won't completly remove the outfit, because a few people think it's "Too lewd". And they won't alter the height sliders also.

Hell speaking of JRPG's. In Agarest 2 I can give little Fiona and bath. But that's not censored it's just up to the company. Some people realize it's a game, and see it as nothing more.

Calsetes
Jun 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
I kinda hope it eventually comes out with a localized version, if only because trying to buy money in this game is an absolute PITA. You're overpaying for webmoney, you have to jump through ten hoops to spend it, and it's just... I'd rather just easily punch in my card number, get some web money, and have at it, you know?

gigawuts
Jun 16, 2013, 06:01 PM
get code

copy code

paste code

poof ac

Yden
Jun 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah, the gacha system will work. It's the actual game content that won't. Typical western players will run into dudu and laugh their way to the uninstall button. Western gamers are pretty impatient, and are going to be very eager to say "F that noise" as soon as the game throws up its first major RNG-based hurdle that you have to pay to sidestep - F2P games are common and dispensable here. This will be nothing but the current month's F2P game for most people who sign up.

Ironically, dudu is pretty tame compared to the upgrade systems in some Korean MMOs. I came from DFO and it could cost you a fortune to upgrade from +0 to +10 if you're unlucky, all for a minimal damage boost. The real damage boosts come when you attempt to upgrade to +11 which pretty much doubles the boost you got at +10 BUT for ever upgrade attempt after +10, you had a chance of breaking your weapon. In Ragnarok Online, you only had 10 levels of upgrade as well but getting to the upgrade max also had a chance to break the item (I haven't really played renewal so I'm unsure if there's much changed with the upgrade system after that update). Prius Online had a similar breaking system after a certain point. There are probably other MMOs out there that have breakage in their upgrade system but these are the ones from the top of my head. The whole dudu upgrade system seemed reasonable to me after playing some a lot of these other games so take that for what you will.

I kinda hope it eventually comes out with a localized version, if only because trying to buy money in this game is an absolute PITA. You're overpaying for webmoney, you have to jump through ten hoops to spend it, and it's just... I'd rather just easily punch in my card number, get some web money, and have at it, you know?

get code

copy code

paste code

poof ac

That still doesn't fix the fact you're getting AC at a markup. Also there's the fact many credit card companies will charge you an extra foreign transaction fee providing a double whammy when it comes to markup.

Blundy
Jun 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
not likely since most localized mmos use content/release gaps to gate content.

Aslinng
Jun 16, 2013, 09:45 PM
I want to beleive *_*

gravityvx
Jun 16, 2013, 09:52 PM
Don't always use one game for an example, PSO2's content isn't nowhere close to badly. I don't see that many "little girl" characters using the wetbath towel too much anyway, also that kind of content you can't control. That's why the ESRB doesn't rate online interactions.

As for TERA's you can't dramatically change the height of the Elin. So yeah it's gonna get censored, it's really the company's decision. People are always gonna state their own voice, so if they don't like the players that use those characters, because for what ever reason they are disturbed by it.

PSO2 has no way to censor that, they won't completly remove the outfit, because a few people think it's "Too lewd". And they won't alter the height sliders also.

Hell speaking of JRPG's. In Agarest 2 I can give little Fiona and bath. But that's not censored it's just up to the company. Some people realize it's a game, and see it as nothing more.

That's a lot of text from me just saying people on this side are stupid when it comes to them thinking a child like character is presented sexually. I think my point went over your head, the bathtowel thing was just an example. Point is if people whine enough about stupid things, stupid things tend to happen due to PR. And yes, I'm comparing a game with a perfectly good example of stupidity to another game that's full of all kinds of nonsense, surprising right?

On topic though, even if this game comes state side...will we even get any of the damn events aside from seasonals? The Miku crap, all the collaberation events that will be coming in the future etc. Feels like even if it does hit here we'll be missing content unless they are just going to shove it in at random points in time unrelated to any promotion or anything. Not that I'd complain if they did, it's better than not getting them at all. Especially this current Border Break event.

Calsetes
Jun 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
get code

copy code

paste code

poof ac

And all the stuff about having to have a Japanese address on file, having to do a verification code thing every time you want to do it, and as someone else mentioned, the markup on it, in addition to having to go through a third party that may-or-may-not actually send you the code in a timely manner?

There's a lot more work to do than just what you posted. The fact that it's in a foreign language that doesn't like translations done via web page, or uses lots of images that a simple text translator can't spit out in an intelligible language I can understand, are only more roadblocks.

gigawuts
Jun 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
I figured you already did that

man it's been so long since I did that that I actually forgot it's required to do an address

but seriously, most of that will be required in the english version, surely you don't think they'd take out the verification code step or the requirement to input your address

LordShade
Jun 16, 2013, 10:35 PM
wait a minute people didn't use Sega HQ as their jp address?!

MuzicFreq
Jun 17, 2013, 08:24 AM
Wow, people have such a grim view on it.
Maybe instead of making it sound terrible, why not use that energy to help promote the game and get people interested in it?

HIT0SHI
Jun 17, 2013, 09:01 AM
We've been doing exactly that for a whole year, their FB page and SEGA FB page for example have people begging for a western release but to no avail. SEGA has been giving us the silent treatment sense PAX2012. When they have responded, they'll say "We don't have any information in this time..." and recently delayed the game without a release date. As much as I personally want to see the game for a western release, it just not gonna happen anytime soon.

MuzicFreq
Jun 17, 2013, 10:10 AM
We've been doing exactly that for a whole year, their FB page and SEGA FB page for example have people begging for a western release but to no avail. SEGA has been giving us the silent treatment sense PAX2012. When they have responded, they'll say "We don't have any information in this time..." and recently delayed the game without a release date. As much as I personally want to see the game for a western release, it just not gonna happen anytime soon.

I didn't say beg, Promote it, get the word out more.
Though then again today's gamers are weak and hear "Delayed" then say ":-? oh well, not interested then"

shagia
Jun 17, 2013, 10:17 AM
it's really in the matter of fact that the same thing with PSO has happened in the past in North America, including with PSU.

it's highly doubtful that EP2 won't happen at NA launch mainly because..well....PSU. everyone knows how late that was. promoting PSO2 would be a great idea, yes, but don't you think that should come post-release? talking about it now would probably just cause hype that probably won't be achieved in the end if SEGA pulls off a PSU again. having EP2 launch with EP1 in the north would be nice for a change though, and I do believe it can happen, but looking at their progress right at the moment and looking at their progress in the past, it just isn't looking too bright.

on a side note, I would love to see Christmas in January on PSO2NA. :p

deahamlet
Jun 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
I guess you could call that censorship. They'll be removed, in any case. Plus whatever else that "needs to be toned down."

Maple Story. Random hairstyles and features, random boxes full of cash shop items, along with all the rerolling you have to pay for to make your gear much much better than a free player's. Hundreds of dollars to max out your inventory space as just one example.

Atlantica (http://atlantica.nexon.net/Itemmall/item-mall/boxes). Click any of those and you'll see all the stuff you can randomly get for your real money purchase. Tons of features are locked to the cash shop, but most of them can be traded.

Spirit Tales (AKA Glory Destiny Online). [SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/Ca07ZgB.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX] That's the tooltip for the random mount boxes. Yeah.

Rusty Hearts has random costume boxes among other things.

Just pick up the next free online game you see and check out its cash shop. I guarantee you that it will have timed or random items in there. (No, I'm not saying "find me one game that doesn't do that" but I'd still like to know how rare that is)

Non-asian MMOs:

Neverwinter - boxes drop in game, you have to buy keys from shop to open and maybe get a mount, maybe get crafting resources, maybe get a pet, etc.

Asian MMOs:

Tera - The candy pet, which was super popular in their polls, is from a box only. You have to buy boxes and hope you get it. They also have boxes that you buy keys for, they usually contain grinding items or junk or some super rare useful items (12% dps boost pots for 1 hour, self-revive scrolls, etc). They've also had these boxes give out awesome stuff during special weekends like 1000 grinders, etc. They have outfits that you can get for very high price or try your luck with boxes... it spams you with messages when someone gets the special item and considering the spammage... lots of people were buying.

I don't know if you call those games successful or anything (both have issues really related to "end-game") but they do exist and people DO spend a lot of money on these boxes.

gigawuts
Jun 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Though then again today's gamers are weak and hear "Delayed" then say ":-? oh well, not interested then"

you must not have lurked much here in the last year

promoting PSO2 is all half the forum freaking did, with everyone they knew, and anyone who could be gotten into the game WAS gotten into the game

so we have a whole new mass of players, who either never heard of PS before or only got into PSO2 because their friends convinced them to, and now what? what was this going to do about getting PSO2 released in the west again? because whatever it was going to do, it uh, didn't do it

Cla
Jun 17, 2013, 01:31 PM
The fact that this game was not mentioned at all during E3 is a very very very bad sign. I think it pretty much says that Sega has given up on the Western release afterall. Even if somehow they don't have translated footage to show off, you can still at least announce some kind of update or that the version is still coming. But nope. They said absolutely nothing about it. Sega is now trying to be quiet about it and hope that we all just forget it.

HIT0SHI
Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM
Sega is now trying to be quiet about it and hope that we all just forget it.

And the sad thing is as long as PSO2 JP still exits, most of us will never forget.

Rosel
Jun 17, 2013, 05:52 PM
That's a lot of text from me just saying people on this side are stupid when it comes to them thinking a child like character is presented sexually.

People don't think Elins are sexual just because they are children.

Elin have bare thighs, make sexual noises, some armor has camel toes, etc. and so on. Very, very sexual design on that race, and clearly marketing to pedophiles/lolicon.

PSO2 also does this but they don't exactly do it directly, since the users themselves make the loli characters and then put them in the skimpy outfits.

and yes, I do look at lolis in bathing suits and bath towels and think that person is doing it for bad reasons.

Not to mention the horribly balanced combat system where every class usually uses only 1 of their skills to maximize efficiency, since there's no cooldowns.. obviously people will quit in droves when they see the drop rates.

Then there's the fact that the best items in the game are not able to be traded, a true PSO fan would not be happy about that. I haven't played in a while, but now that more 11 star+ items are coming out, we're back at "only the extremely lucky freaks of nature" have the top gear, right?

Also, about those gachapon games... they usually don't have a subscription service on top of that to access basic features like trade and even selling items. So yes, it will be a turn off for many people that there's not only a subscription but a very demanding/expensive gachapon system for cash shop items.

gigawuts
Jun 17, 2013, 06:16 PM
Every game has its balance flaws, even the successful ones. I think PSO2's are a natural result of metagaming - there will always be an optimum build. Granted, it's a problem that the optimum is so much more powerful than anything suboptimal, but yeah. Even with near perfect balance optimum builds would exist, just less detrimentally to the game overall.

What's really problematic is the "F2P game of the month" mentality that's so prevalent in the west. EVERYONE is trying to get in on the F2P cash, which means lots of options and lots of new shiny games to churn through the new player content before immediately moving on. This is a very common thing here. A major flaw of F2P games is that they only have so much content - but if you hop F2P games as they come out you always have new content to play. People who make that their gaming habit do not particularly care about sticking to one game if they dislike it and just move on to the next.

Would PSO2 break even? I would say probably, it has a dedicated following and being F2P would draw players in, plus it's from a well known name in the industry. Would it last in its current state? I would say probably not, due in part to the above mentioned western gaming habits. Would it last if they rebalanced it and gave it the attention and balancing every MMO-ish game needs to survive? I think so, yes. Good F2P games absolutely get some of the F2P hoppers to stick around, and pick up players as they move along.

Ghalion
Jun 18, 2013, 12:53 AM

You'd have to be a cruel @%#@#% to promote this game...don't get me wrong, I really want it localized so I can play it too. But I never would think to "promote" it to other people. why? Because it effing sucks waiting for over a year without so much as hearing ANYTHING. What's to promote? OH GOD YOU GOTTA TRY THIS AMAZING GAME....but you can't have it...and maybe you never ever will. MWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Elins are for pervs and blah blah
yarg.. you know, I actually like the loli thing myself, but I hate elins.. why? Cuz I'm hardcore anti-furry...Whyyy does everyon identify the elin as the loli race when they're just as furry as loli...Am I like the only non-furry on the planet? seriously...nobody bats an eye at THOSE features *cries*. Even if not furry I'd do castanic female for that stuff anyway though. But yeah, I'm not anti-loli myself.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
Wow, people have such a grim view on it.
Maybe instead of making it sound terrible, why not use that energy to help promote the game and get people interested in it?

You must be extremely new here. If you were actually around when PSO2 was announced, you would have seen the forums gone apeshit. If you were around during the freaking character creator demo, you would have seen people gettin' hype. If you were here when the demo came out...you'd see mixed reactions THE FUCKING SPINES but mostly positive. The people promoting the Japanese version, that had just barely come out with only the base classes was ridiculous. I talked with everyone I knew who had played PSO, and I salivated for the longest time, even while playin' the game. I'm sure there were many people who talked and hoped for a great game. You don't seem to understand how many disappointments there were in this community, and how often these people still kept going back. Hell, even now people are unsure because they don't know if the series they're here for is even going to come stateside because of their lack of hope in the company managing it. Some are still hopeful, but very wary. It's maddening.

tl;dr This community is far from weak.

Ranmaru
Jun 18, 2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah. I came back to PSO2 because... I love PSO2. Monster Hunter? Nah. It's too 'islander' to me. I like the music and atmosphere of this game better. I got really tired of waiting for E3 for anything on PSO2.

So I can only hope that SoA is doing some BIG shit with it. Worst case is they have given up/are being too lazy/whatever. I'm going to now just play PSO2 JP not expecting much, but welcoming it if it ever came. I'm not going to shoot it down, because if it comes, it means SoA HAS been doing work.

PSO2 is now in maintenance and guess what, I'm going to play some PSZero now. Man. It's addicting.

SolRiver
Jun 19, 2013, 12:37 AM
I am surprise people still dare to give sega of america benefit of the doubt or any credit.

Hatsodoom
Jun 19, 2013, 08:52 AM

This would be LOVELY and put all my worries to rest. Doubt it, but it's possible I suppose.