PDA

View Full Version : Item Do you even buy gear?

La'Haryl
Jun 18, 2013, 11:02 PM
I've made my way to level 38 with matter board gear. Have around 3million meseta because I haven't spent a dime. Perform fine in games, face rolling with Overend anyway so I could easily get 6k weak spot hits with a rolled up newspaper.

I always work my way to the closest matter that gives a good Hunter weapon and it's gotten me this far.

What's your process when leveling a new class/character?

Exiled_Gundam
Jun 18, 2013, 11:08 PM
If new class: do CO with other high-level classes first, then give the exp to the new class

If new character: Gather some mesetas with basic gear first, then find some good gear/weapon from player shop. Usually gear/weapon for lower level usage is quite cheap.

p/s 3k weak spot hits using Overend is quite low. Try make it so that most mob will die within one Overend

La'Haryl
Jun 18, 2013, 11:12 PM
I'm just saying, I hear a lot of people complain about money issues whenever to get as far as I have only having played the past week on a brand new account (old one got banned, them <pos> macros) you don't need anything but matter weapons. Trying to hit high numbers is fine and dandy but before VH it doesn't really matter, especially if all you do is Multi-Parties with JP's.

BIG OLAF
Jun 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
You really don't need to have top-of-the-line stuff to preform well in this game. But, it is nice to have some decently above-average weapons and units (10*s, somewhat properly affixed, etc.). However, the game is really more about knowing how to play your class effectively, how to build your skill tree(s), and good, old-fashioned common sense than anything involving raw damage numbers. The only people who really grind for 'true uber' gear are the folks that probably like the smell of their own farts, too.

Goukezitsu
Jun 18, 2013, 11:32 PM
Depends on what you like to do. Pre VH and AQ everything dies. It's why new gunners spam Elder Rebillion in AQs like it actually kills things. It's because in previous difficulties it actually did because enemies had much less hp and def so things like minimal ungrinded gear obliterates things just due to a decent tree and PA levels.

If you want to solo or duo quickly, get gear. If you don't particularly care about the amount of time you spend and you have a multitude of people at all times willing to do everything you want to, don't worry about it.

gravityvx
Jun 18, 2013, 11:32 PM
I've made my way to level 38 with matter board gear. Have around 3million meseta because I haven't spent a dime. Perform fine in games, face rolling with Overend anyway so I could easily get 6k weak spot hits with a rolled up newspaper.

I always work my way to the closest matter that gives a good Hunter weapon and it's gotten me this far.

What's your process when leveling a new class/character?

You can get by in this game on just crap you find, I've been playing since the beta and the only gear I've bought off shop was maybe a couple stone shop weapons I got tired of looking for, and affix fodder. Only thing to spend money on for the most part is grinding, affixing and you guessed it...outfits. As for my process leveling characters/classes...emergency events & COs, AQs when they reach that point. Seriously got my FO from 40-51 on just running Falz whenever it was up. But I'm sure you're not as lazy or patient as me to do something like that.

La'Haryl
Jun 18, 2013, 11:36 PM
I've gotten 22-38 by doing this for just the past 3 nights:

Log on,
Do all my Normal Mode TA's
Do all my Boarder Break Dalies
Do Falz Arms until Elder
Do Elder
Do whatever Koffee Quests
Bullshit on B20, multiparty Boarder Break, or log off for the night.

I don't really have the patience for Client Orders at all, they're a lot of work for little/no payout, especially in the EXP department.

xxmadplayerxx
Jun 18, 2013, 11:44 PM
I've gotten 22-38 by doing this for just the past 3 nights:

Log on,
Do all my Normal Mode TA's
Do all my Boarder Break Dalies
Do Falz Arms until Elder
Do Elder
Do whatever Koffee Quests
Bullshit on B20, multiparty Boarder Break, or log off for the night.

I don't really have the patience for Client Orders at all, they're a lot of work for little/no payout, especially in the EXP department.

About COs, you should really take them :) . I have lvled Fighter to lvl 45 and force to lvl 42 all with just COs from using hunter class, and probably only used fighter and force once or twice. they are definitely a must.

La'Haryl
Jun 18, 2013, 11:48 PM
I've just fallen behind. I've out leveled my current CO's. I'm level 38 and the ones available only give 1-3k EXP and they want me to kill 30 or so mobs or get 20~ items that drop from wonky enemies that don't have a steady/guaranteed spawn.

xxmadplayerxx
Jun 18, 2013, 11:55 PM
I've just fallen behind. I've out leveled my current CO's. I'm level 38 and the ones available only give 1-3k EXP and they want me to kill 30 or so mobs or get 20~ items that drop from wonky enemies that don't have a steady/guaranteed spawn.

It was always a pain to do COs at that lvl because of the low payout for CO exp, but hey at least your doing Cougar Mx COs. They are worth it :D

BlankM
Jun 19, 2013, 12:03 AM
Gear is where the majority of my meseta goes, but I find myself trading in/reselling and buying new gear quite a lot because indecisiveness and fear that new stuff will outdate things.

So I will say its probably best not to overspend on gear you can't afford. You never know when other things will catch your eye. Simply put, know your limits.

La'Haryl
Jun 19, 2013, 12:18 AM
I just can't see myself getting gear just to replace it, especially in the 40+ area when you start breaching the 9* mark. I mean, you can always use the replaced gear for ability affix fodder, but there's still a 40% fail chance for F2P's.

Only piece of gear I actually bought was the Luxe back unit (gold angel wings) and I affixed Vol on it, and it's purely for swag purposes only, a stat disadvantage I'm willing to take all the way to end-game. So you can't even consider it a gear purchase when it's purely aesthetic.

BlankM
Jun 19, 2013, 12:29 AM
Boosters can be bought in player shops regardless of if you're F2P.

Do whatever it takes to not die at your level(If you solo) then once you hit VH hunt for Vardha/Ragne/Snow Banther sets and affix statIII+soul on them. Then get a spellstone weapon. Check the strategy section and you can pretty much find cost-efficient gear that will last at least until they change it to super hard mode most likely.

Also remember element %'s matter if you aren't a Force.

SakoHaruo
Jun 19, 2013, 12:29 AM
no need to buy gear for N/H and even the normal VH quest. you only need good gear for AQs and ExQs

.... or if you're a scrub... in a games that has piss easy AI.... and you blame it on lag all the time lol

but, what you can (and you should) do is prep some end game gear so that you can wear it once you get to the required def stats, it will save you a lot of money.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 19, 2013, 02:03 AM
I generally buy gear when leveling a different class, or using rares I found while on the other classes.

My cast for example. I had an Lambda Aristin grinded up and ready to go before I created her.
Until I could use it I stuck with Wing Spada.

Esofor
Jun 19, 2013, 02:09 AM
while nothing in this game is truly difficult (save some things i suppose), it's never a bad idea to spend money on gear, since it's something you use all the time.

lolcostumes

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 19, 2013, 02:12 AM
lolcostumes
Why not both -w-

La'Haryl
Jun 19, 2013, 02:15 AM
I splurged on a judgment coat at level 10 lmao (300k for the blue/white). <3 costumes

Currently saving for a blindfold. Only a few mil away.

Esofor
sure, if you have a bit of spare cash

though i guess everyone's priorities are different

xanthro
Only things I ever buy are all class items or Dex req armor (cheap junk). Regardless of attack/Defensive power, they work anywhere I go. H~Vh, dont mater. +7 and Maybe 1 affix.

Currently rockin a lolipop ("sweet" wand) +10 w/ elder soul and the cheap low grade lightning lookin armor +10 w/ rag soul only on all. I use that armor on all my classes lower then 40 then. my 40+ classes just rock stuff I found and affixed slightly (maybe a soul but probably not).
I spend too much money on outfits.

My damage is not the best, but I can take a good hit from anything or dodge/block away from it.

BlankM
Jun 19, 2013, 02:17 AM
Depends on whether you keep up with the latest fashion or not. Trends with gear tend to move a bit slower but are definitely more costly. A good investment at the right time can last you a while. Meanwhile tickets usually only get more expensive. Only thing you can save money on is costumes by buying cheaper colors or waiting for them to hopefully go down in price.

So if you buy accessories or dances you're kinda encouraged to get it right away...or you might never find yourself with the spare meseta to get it later as new things whittle your funds.

La'Haryl
Jun 19, 2013, 02:18 AM
That's the problem I've been having with my accessories. A lot of the ones I need are from events that have passed so they've become unique and the prices have risen to several millions. Nothing that a few days of TA's can't fix though.

jooozek
Jun 19, 2013, 02:31 AM
im sure you wouldnt do 16k with matterboard gear

SakoHaruo
Jun 19, 2013, 03:03 AM
I thought this was about putting him in stun with quake howling vs just running behind his ass and getting my 16k? now you talking about rising slashes?

hmm, so you gonna do quake howling, switch weapons, dash behind him for that rising slash, and you gonna get the kill faster than me? damn, I thought I was somewhat good at this game, you are too pro.

oh and I hit that weak spot pretty consistent.

koinukasuka
Jun 19, 2013, 09:08 AM
I just buy costumes when I play :P or i buy MAG food weapons :3

I like to hunt for my gear, I bought too much on PSU lol. Though on PSU i got the S3 Knuckles from the desert on the first day :3 badass :3 too bad they shut it down :/

Macman
Jun 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
I buy my ranger gear because all I ever find are melee rares. :-?

Zenobia
Jun 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
I thought this was about putting him in stun with quake howling vs just running behind his ass and getting my 16k? now you talking about rising slashes?

hmm, so you gonna do quake howling, switch weapons, dash behind him for that rising slash, and you gonna get the kill faster than me? damn, I thought I was somewhat good at this game, you are too pro.

oh and I hit that weak spot pretty consistent.

No it was pointers for those who use Fist. No I'm no pro that's what Elitist say I play this game just like anyone else. As for me I would just dash behind him use Rising Slash and call it a wrap and I am guaranteed a 100% on his weak point as it hit all the time. I'm no try hard status, but I do believe in playing the game in the best way possible that I can to eliminate burdening my party members/team.

Sword can hit there weak spot consistently as well.