PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Help to improve contests/events

TenebriS
Jun 21, 2013, 07:22 AM
HEY GUYS!~

As some of you pointed out you got ideas how to handle community events better. That’s cool and actually something good to hear. I give you now here the chance to voice your opinion on it, how you would improve it or just an idea you had about events.
I'm not the only person hosting events or contests so maybe you do not only help me but also others that plan on doing community events.

I know all of you have their own ideas and I do not want you to bash anyone else’s idea, keep it to constructive criticism or at least stay polite when you voice your disapproval. Most important is that we try to figure out a good way to handle things

This is a chance for us to work together so future contests and events can be done for the community. Though only because you voiced your opinion here it doesn't necessary mean it will be used in the next event, since its always up to the hosts to choose the rules they see fit for certain events. But nonetheless it’s a chance of your idea being heard!

I try to be real here, so it's up to you if you want to tell or not, but I can't promise anything.

NoiseHERO
Jun 21, 2013, 07:37 AM
Mystery prizes.

EvilMag
Jun 21, 2013, 07:39 AM
Hmm the mystery box or 5000 AC? Tough choice.

NoiseHERO
Jun 21, 2013, 07:40 AM
Hmm the mystery box or 5000 AC? Tough choice.

Welp this is actually funnier.

"AH FUCKIT I'LL TAKE THE MYSTERY BOX!!"

/dennys 10 dollar giftcard

redroses
Jun 21, 2013, 08:09 AM
I think it will be very hard to come up with an idea that everybody can be happy with. There just aren't that many options.

The only thing I could come up with, is having a multiple choice poll, however people MUST vote for three people (if they only vote for one or two people, their votes won't count). This is of course a little time consuming, seeing as you have to check all the names that voted, but it is doable if people that are working on the event together (like the judges) all help out in the counting.

This way, you can ensure that more people will get votes and it will probably make it more balanced. Because in older multiple choice polls some people would still only vote once. So, this might be something to try and might actually work out for a more interesting and fairer poll!

Edit: Something that would also help, if people just appreciated the events more and all the money, time and work the event holders put into them. Understand that it is impossible to make everybody happy, and that the event holders are really trying their best they can, but they can't control everything. It really isn't easy to hold these events and it does take a lot of time, planning and effort. I really think people should be more grateful that there are users who do this for the community.
While not everything might go the way you want it to, try not be disrespectful or mean to the event holders and those that participate (and win), because it is just frustrating for everybody and can be really discouraging to the people that hold these events.

jooozek
Jun 21, 2013, 08:15 AM
instead of real monies prizes i'd rather see custom avatars prizes

Gama
Jun 21, 2013, 08:19 AM
i already gave my opinion to tene once, but aside from that, they need more rappy, more rappy everywhere, rappy juice, rappy steak rappy everything.

Ezodagrom
Jun 21, 2013, 08:28 AM
In the perfect picture topic I suggested for people to write down the names of what they thing are the top 3 entries instead of a poll, but that would be harder to keep track of things for the organizers.

Personally, I think the contests are fine the way they are though and some people complain way too much... :|
From the past contests (which is also going to happen with the perfect picture contest, right?), I especially like when the judges post every entry and give their opinions about each, it's nice to see all the entries, and the different opinions about them. ^^

Sayara
Jun 21, 2013, 08:36 AM
When I did the fan-art contest back in 2010. We had two different winner trees:
1. Judge decision agreement where they chose the top 3.
2. User-voted whom they decided was the best 3.

We had alot of prizes back then so it was easy to seperate this out but since you're probably running this alone how about this:

You and your judge panel decide the top 3; when that is decided run a poll of all the entrants and the fan-base decide the 4th place winner. Like user choice prize (probably something smaller compared to 1st place). That way the entries that could perhaps DID deserve first place still gets that honor it deserves; and then the crowd favorite (but possibly not the best) could also win something as well.

I've always had my concern about fan-voting because of things of popularity and what not and we've tried to remove that issue before with anonymous entrants; but in terms of a snapshot it'd be dead giveaway for some users (see Sine, Olaf, myself etc)

tl;dr Your organizers decide the winners. The users decide the fan-favorite whom win their own small prize.

Lastly: Attack of the Rappy screenshot contest: best dynamic shot in a rappy suit = winner.

Gama
Jun 21, 2013, 08:37 AM
In the perfect picture topic I suggested for people to write down the names of what they thing are the top 3 entries instead of a poll, but that would be harder to keep track of things for the organizers.

Personally, I think the contests are fine the way they are though and some people complain way too much... :|
From the past contests (which is also going to happen with the perfect picture contest, right?), I especially like when the judges post every entry and give their opinions about each, it's nice to see all the entries, and the different opinions about them. ^^

i did the in the cast supremacy contest.

manny people didnt want to have their votes revealed so they pm'ed them to me.

Lostbob117
Jun 21, 2013, 08:47 AM
Whenever putting up the voting don't say who did them, so people don't just vote for friends.

NoiseHERO
Jun 21, 2013, 08:57 AM
Whenever putting up the voting don't say who did them, so people don't just vote for friends.

Yeah I wouldn't know what my friends character would look like either if I was that dense.

VANNO
Jun 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with the one vote poll. If someone votes for someone it'll be because that person is 1st on their list who should win. The only reason why it would be multiple vote is if you are showing placement, or for other reasons that aren't important. But polls do not work well because voting doesn't show placement value well.

I suggest leaving the poll up for 1st place. Then doing 2nd and 3rd place in comments/ps if you really want to. But I still think this is a HORRIBLE idea.

If you want it to be fun bring the stakes down and even out the playing filed. Ask yourself, do you really NEED to have a place value? If so I suggest dropping the 2nd and 3rd place. Then whoever passes the judges stage get something. It doesn't have to be AC. Anything from in game items to things that can be given out on pso-world. Heck you can even have a participation prize if you want more people!

PS: I'd think it would be nice to see all the entries too and what the judges think of them.

gigawuts
Jun 21, 2013, 09:07 AM

I like and support this.

Z-0
Jun 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with the one vote poll. If someone votes for someone it'll be because that person is 1st on their list who should win. The only reason why it would be multiple vote is if you are showing placement, or for other reasons that aren't important. But polls do not work well because voting doesn't show placement value well.
People vote for their friends.

This is the case for every contest / poll. It's not exactly a secret, and doesn't happen only here either.

Zenobia
Jun 21, 2013, 09:41 AM
People vote for their friends.

This is the case for every contest / poll. It's not exactly a secret, and doesn't happen only here either.

And that's the main problem.

We don't vote based on the picture we TRULY LIKE, we base it off to many things etc.

1: Oh He/She is my friend therefore He/She gets my vote.
2: Oh He/She is from my team therefore I have to vote for Him/Her.
3: I don't know any of those people up there but I know Him/Her.

That's where it all fails you act like you can't choose based on your personal preference or whom you truly think has the better pic. Pretty sure most if not all have pull some back market votes spreading the word trying to be as bias as possible. Many of you have probably been asked and didn't even bother to even give a second glance at the other peoples pictures because of such scenario.

Some act like they can't say no and say they are gonna choose the one that looks good to them because they think if they denied there friend/teammate they afraid they will be hated or w/e the case might be and if they do that to you....hey they aren't ya friend. They shouldn't get mad because you denied to vote for them and decided to go on your own judgement that's a smart Voter. You took your time to carefully look at everyone's pics meaning you gave all of them an equal look and chance therefore giving you the time to make your final judgement. Its just sad most don't think like this or do this and that's why some of these contest turn out the way they do to many people being ass kissers.

VANNO
Jun 21, 2013, 09:45 AM
It doesn't matter how people choose their 1st place in these kinds of things. Every person has their own ways of judging a picture. It could be the stupidest thing that makes someone decided to vote for one person over another. That's something that the event holder knows ahead of time when they decide to let the community vote.

The thing I am saying is when it comes to voting someone will vote for another person because that person deserves 1st in their eyes. If friendship is the reason why someone should be first... so be it.

TenebriS
Jun 21, 2013, 09:51 AM

Would be something I like to do, and did in the past. Sadly those who are responsible of the custom avatar and the admin are not responding to any PMs currently.

Besides that there is not much to give as a prize, and webmoney is something I can provide and probably most of PSO2 players could use.

tl;dr Your organizers decide the winners. The users decide the fan-favorite whom win their own small prize.

Something that seems like a good for some events, I will keep this in mind!

If you want it to be fun bring the stakes down and even out the playing filed. Ask yourself, do you really NEED to have a place value? If so I suggest dropping the 2nd and 3rd place. Then whoever passes the judges stage get something. It doesn't have to be AC. Anything from in game items to things that can be given out on pso-world. Heck you can even have a participation prize if you want more people!

There we get a little problem, ingame items would mean the winner needs premium to be able to trade things and not everybody is ahving premium.
For things on PSO-World the only thing I could think of would be a custom avatar, tho there are 2 problems about it.
1.) what I said before, currently the mods aren't answering.
2.) I can't give out too much of these, sicne they are considered to be an exception on PSO-World they usually go as a first prize.

PS: I'd think it would be nice to see all the entries too and what the judges think of them.

I usually do that every time so it covers my events, naturally I can't speak for my judges but as a host I will always do this. Besides a few exceptions that ask me not to do show them, but it's their own choice if they want or not.

And that's the main problem.
We don't vote based on the picture we TRULY LIKE, we base it off to many things etc.
1: Oh He/She is my friend therefore He/She gets my vote.
2: Oh He/She is from my team therefore I have to vote for Him/Her.
3: I don't know any of those people up there but I know Him/Her.

Now tell me how to solve this and I would be really glad about it.

Lastly: Attack of the Rappy screenshot contest: best dynamic shot in a rappy suit = winner.

Noted, thanks for the idea.

Ce'Nedra
Jun 21, 2013, 09:56 AM
Edit: Something that would also help, if people just appreciated the events more and all the money, time and work the event holders put into them. Understand that it is impossible to make everybody happy, and that the event holders are really trying their best they can, but they can't control everything. It really isn't easy to hold these events and it does take a lot of time, planning and effort. I really think people should be more grateful that there are users who do this for the community.
While not everything might go the way you want it to, try not be disrespectful or mean to the event holders and those that participate (and win), because it is just frustrating for everybody and can be really discouraging to the people that hold these events.

This is basically all that people need to keep in their head and you don't even need topics like this.

TenebriS
Jun 21, 2013, 10:05 AM
This is basically all that people need to keep in their head and you don't even need topics like this.

It's really nice for you to say so, and also what you quoted of redroses, but I thought of this topic as some way to communicate with each other and exchanging ideas.
I am proud of all my events and think I did them the best I could and I do not regret a single one. But only because I think they were good it doesn't necessary mean they were that good for others.

This topic was meant to collect some ideas I can work with, and maybe others can work with too. It won't be new rules only because it's been said in here but a possibility to see another point of view and benefit of it.

After all I want to do these events and contest for the community so I have to find out if they like my events and if they know ways to improve them for everyone. :)

VANNO
Jun 21, 2013, 10:13 AM
There we get a little problem, ingame items would mean the winner needs premium to be able to trade things and not everybody is having premium.
For things on PSO-World the only thing I could think of would be a custom avatar, tho there are 2 problems about it.
1.) what I said before, currently the mods aren't answering.
2.) I can't give out too much of these, sicne they are considered to be an exception on PSO-World they uually go as a first prize.

No one needs to have to have premium. It's all about being creatively poor and time my friend. Things like one free taco/aq run. It could even be items like trimates or moons. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. If they have a shop maybe buy an item worth 100k. You could even sell those 1k tickets/items.

as for ideas on PSO-world. I was thinking custom signatures like "top 10 on ___ event" It could either be drawings or a chance to help judge the next contest.

PS: Though people may not say it. I'm sure everyone appreciates the events.

TenebriS
Jun 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
No one needs to have to have premium. It's all about being creatively poor and time my friend. Things like one free taco/aq run. It could even be items like trimates or moons. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. If they have a shop maybe buy an item worth 100k. You could even sell those 1k tickets/items.

as for ideas on PSO-world. I was thinking custom signatures like "top 10 on ___ event" It could either be drawings or a chance to help judge the next contest.

PS: Though people may not say it. I'm sure everyone appreciates the events.

The AQ/TACO ideas are somethign I can do (I just never did much of the TACOs ever so I better organize help for it rather than help myself xD)
The shop idea is also a neat idea for those who have a 1 day premium or a shop pass left and can be discussed with the winner afterwards.

Since im not a very talented person the signature idea is great but I would have to get some help there.^^
It's only a matter of organizing it all up ahead and getting the right people.

About the help in next event, I'm always up for new ideas and I like working with other people, but I'm not sure if beeing a judge is that much of an exciting job. xD

and about your PS, thanks for saying so! I know that a lot of people appreciate them and I'm always glad to hear it because that means I got my job done properly! :)

Zenobia
Jun 21, 2013, 10:42 AM
I say costumes and or accessories let that be the prize for the top 3 ofc 1 place gets to have the first pick and they would just buy it from your shop in game. We already know majority buy costumes and this can work good for the casuals.

For those that participated but didn't make the cut it can range from grinders to to full protects pretty anything being of importance and can be used.

redroses
Jun 21, 2013, 11:57 AM
I often thought about having item prizes for events, however item prizes in this game are such a hassle, because you have to factor in so many things (does the person have premium, or access to their room, or will somebody snatch the items away I am trying to sell them cheap (with accessories/clothes you also have to check if they are fair prizes for male and female characters) etc.) which is quite troublesome.

I always thought the AC prizes were very good as everybody can use them and use them just how they need to. It is also much easier for the event holder to give out these goods and much easier for people to donate for events.

Hm, giving out Extreme Quest runs as a prize might be a good idea for some events? The winner could get Extreme Quests in worth of a full run, second in worth of 4 and third gets 2 or something like that.

BIG OLAF
Jun 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
Some other stuff I could think of in terms of prizes are art prizes, like we had for one event. But, problem with that is, that artists are people too, and can't always be available to do work when you need them to. You'd also have to find one willing and able to lend their skills, which can also be hard.

I think real life prizes would be fun, too. But, there's the issues of postage (what if someone from New Zealand wins and you need to ship it from New York City? Ouch, that's a lot of postage money). There's also the issue of privacy, like if the winner isn't comfortable giving out their address, etc.

But, yes, also please remember that PSO2, as a game, has limited options as to what it would allow people to make a contest out of. Understand that there's a limited amount that the people who host these events can actually do.

I think it's very important to stop and realize that, even though the events are all somewhat similar, someone still took the effort to draw it up and plan it, and that prizes are 'only AC', but someone still cared enough about the community to pay for it.

Vintasticvin
Jun 21, 2013, 04:16 PM
Some other stuff I could think of in terms of prizes are art prizes, like we had for one event. But, problem with that is, that artists are people too, and can't always be available to do work when you need them to. You'd also have to find one willing and able to lend their skills, which can also be hard.

I think real life prizes would be fun, too. But, there's the issues of postage (what if someone from New Zealand wins and you need to ship it from New York City? Ouch, that's a lot of postage money). There's also the issue of privacy, like if the winner isn't comfortable giving out their address, etc.

But, yes, also please remember that PSO2, as a game, has limited options as to what it would allow people to make a contest out of. Understand that there's a limited amount that the people who host these events can actually do.

I think it's very important to stop and realize that, even though the events are all somewhat similar, someone still took the effort to draw it up and plan it, and that prizes are 'only AC', but someone still cared enough about the community to pay for it.
:3 Its not like the old days where we can send items to anyone easily using a trade option.

Kinujou
Jun 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
:3 Its not like the old days where we can send items to anyone easily using a trade option.

mini room + Pre Boxes ?

Anyway i have an idea, how about some events that are in game (quiz shows, dance offs, musical chairs, races, ect)

Shinamori
Jun 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
Dunno about that rappy suit thing. Not everyone has one.

TenebriS
Jun 21, 2013, 06:18 PM
mini room + Pre Boxes ?

Anyway i have an idea, how about some events that are in game (quiz shows, dance offs, musical chairs, races, ect)

present boxes can only opened by people with premium set as far as I know

Z-0
Jun 21, 2013, 06:23 PM
You don't have to be premium to open them, only to place them. Meseta and tradeable items (not 10*) can be placed in them.

La'Haryl
Jun 21, 2013, 06:24 PM
Welp this is actually funnier.

"AH FUCKIT I'LL TAKE THE MYSTERY BOX!!"

/dennys 10 dollar giftcard

^Best post I've seen on this site thus far.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 21, 2013, 06:30 PM
More prizes besides AC?
Like.....
artwork?

Why can't we just ask admins to give us some I KNOW THEY CAN

TenebriS
Jun 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
You don't have to be premium to open them, only to place them. Meseta and tradeable items (not 10*) can be placed in them.

Sorry then, someone told me to open it you have to be premium. o.o
Thanks you for clearing it up. :)

Gardios
Jun 21, 2013, 06:40 PM
Dunno about that rappy suit thing. Not everyone has one.
Two categories, one with "enemy" Rappies and another one where you are a Rappy yourself. Screenshots of yourself as Rappy and Rappy enemy would belong to the latter category.