PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Speculation on Grinding 11*+ Weapons

Walkure
Jun 24, 2013, 01:30 AM
Since more 11* and 12* weapons are being released, there's a good chance that people are going to be looking to grind these weapons at some point. However, there isn't a large amount of data flowing around for the actual rates behind success rates, or the penalty distributions, so it's hard to find which support items to use to find the minimum average cost to upgrade such weapons. There's also a good chance, considering how much risk there is with a -4 penalty, that people won't be exactly thrilled to grind at +7 and above with no protection tickets for science, so I doubt there's going to be accurate information flowing around for a good amount of time.

This makes my previous method for minimizing costs for 10* weapons (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206991), which requires known or approximate rates for every outcome, unlikely to be directly usable for 11*+ weapons for a very long time.

Currently, on Ship 10, the prices for support items are listed below:

http://i.imgur.com/PCe53vF.png

So, for starters, let's assume:

Risk is high enough at a certain point to always warrant full protection
The base meseta cost of grinding a weapon is around 13.5k
This weapon requires four grinders to attempt a grind
Exact success rate is low, and unknown, but greater than or equal to 0%.
Prices listed above are constant

The first assumption isn't necessarily true, depending on the failure penalty rates. For example, the failure penalty distributions on a 10* weapons are heavily slanted towards -1 being the penalty for failure that, on average, it isn't worth using a full protect ticket, even at +9. The same COULD be true for a 11* or 12* weapon, although it is unlikely.

The other assumptions are based on some lurking and seeing people trying to grind such weapons, or simplifying the math for later usage. This puts the minimum attempt cost at 16,750 meseta, which is about twice the cost for any 10* weapon.

Let's go through some basic concepts real quick.

Full Protect-Assumed Methods

With my previous model, there was this concept of a "failure penalty", which was a cost incurred as a direct result of failing a grind. With a full protection ticket, there is no direct penalty. All of the cost, when working with a full protect item, is in the "attempt cost", which is now going to be fairly high.

Let's say we know the exact rate of a certain step has a 10% success rate, and the attempt cost is 100k. This would take 10 attempts on average, as we're looking for a mean (average) of 1 with a given rate of 10%. In probability terms, where E[X] is the expected (mean, or average) value, n is the number of trials, and P is the probability:

http://i.imgur.com/osocMza.png

Which, multiplied by the cost per attempt, would be 1 million meseta. So, given that we know the rate of a grind attempt, and we're working with a known attempt cost, and zero failure penalty, the average cost for upgrading, using that step, would be:

http://i.imgur.com/iDqcK6n.png

And, expanding that for every variable listed, would be:

http://i.imgur.com/VEYN9Eg.png

The problem, of course, is that the rate isn't even known. So, let's make that into a function of the base success rate.

http://i.imgur.com/BrNVhwP.png

Through doing a sweep of the variable for base probability, we'll be able to find out ranges that a certain percent booster is most effective.

Finding the Right Success Rate Booster

Because there is a minimal success rate of zero percent, and the rate of success is low (below 30% probably) let's have the variable sweep between 0% and 30%. The sweep will go in steps of .5% of the base success rate.

Chart Form:

http://i.imgur.com/mS677Hw.png
The prices without any success rate booster are not included; they throw off the chart and never reach a point of being the most effective choice throughout this sweep. Chances are, by the time that success rate is high enough for using NO success-enhancing support item is true, the risk penalty is also low enough that using a full protection ticket is unwise.

At any point past 1% base success rate, the +20% ticket has a higher average cost than the +10% ticket. At a rate of ~6%, the +5% ticket becomes more effective than the 20% ticket. At a rate of 20% base success, the +5% ticket becomes more cost-effective than the +10% ticket.

Raw results:
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/ftQ3bR0.png
http://i.imgur.com/Wv1HvaM.png
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Practically speaking, what does this mean?

In any situation where the full protect ticket is cost-effective to use, chances are the +10% ticket will be the most cost-effective ticket to use in tandem with it. While most support items are dropping in price, items other than the +20% boosting ticket are dropping faster.

The +30% ticket requires 20 Excubes. While it may not have a direct cost to the user, it does have a potential cost; if you were to instead use those Excubes to make grinders, and sell those for as low as 1k a pop, you could make 1.2m. It's pretty much out of the question, as far as minimizing cost and/or effort goes.

Meji
Jun 24, 2013, 02:57 AM
Neat guide. Grinding information on 11* & 12* weapons is pretty hard to come by (although I doubt I will be needing one myself very soon).

Also, this (http://pso2osusume.com/kyouka-table/) might be a little nice add-on to your theories, although it only counts for 10* weapons.

Exiled_Gundam
Jun 24, 2013, 03:15 AM
Haha I think the most cost effective method for grinding 11s and 12 now (yes I grinded both Flame Visit and Ely Sion to +10 recently) is first, apply grind skip+7, then for the remaining grind, make sure every time you grind the full protect must be used, and if possible, whatever grind success rate item you have. The rest depend on luck

I learned it the hard way with my Flame Visit; about 5m to +10 it by not using the grind skip. Managed to +10 my Ely Sion for less than 3m (this includes buying AC items from player shop for the grind skip item) after I use the grind skip item.

Exiled_Gundam
Jun 24, 2013, 03:18 AM
Ah forgot one more thing.. 12s requires 5 grinders per try

Rien
Jun 24, 2013, 03:19 AM
How do you get a skip +7?

Exiled_Gundam
Jun 24, 2013, 03:22 AM
Exchange 20 AC items at the Recycle Shop. At Ship 8, AC costume costs around 90k cheapest, so 20 of them is 1.8m. Not sure about Ship 2

Amaranthus
Jun 24, 2013, 03:29 AM
Nice work. Yum grinding tips.

Also Exiled you sounds solucky gimme that Ely-sion.... ;-;

FO-RA-HUnightv
Jun 24, 2013, 03:36 AM
you lucky SOB, i cant even get any rares off falz as of late. Not even the 7 stars.

Walkure
Jun 24, 2013, 03:37 AM
Neat guide. Grinding information on 11* & 12* weapons is pretty hard to come by (although I doubt I will be needing one myself very soon).

Also, this (http://pso2osusume.com/kyouka-table/) might be a little nice add-on to your theories, although it only counts for 10* weapons.
Thanks, man.

Also, I actually use that exact source for minimizing grinding costs on 10* weapons!

Haha I think the most cost effective method for grinding 11s and 12 now (yes I grinded both Flame Visit and Ely Sion to +10 recently) is first, apply grind skip+7, then for the remaining grind, make sure every time you grind the full protect must be used, and if possible, whatever grind success rate item you have. The rest depend on luck

I learned it the hard way with my Flame Visit; about 5m to +10 it by not using the grind skip. Managed to +10 my Ely Sion for less than 3m (this includes buying AC items from player shop for the grind skip item) after I use the grind skip item.
The +7 ticket is definitely something to consider at this point, although I'm kind of skeptical that getting to +7 alone has a cost of ~1.6m average (80k * 20). I have no way to prove that at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a more cost-effective route for getting to +7.

It's a bit more reasonable when you consider that this:

Ah forgot one more thing.. 12s requires 5 grinders per try
would make it closer to 18-20k per grind attempt. That'd be ~80 grinding attempts without support items. Definitely less of a pain, though.

Though, with that item, even if EVERY grind attempt was 0% base success rate, and max failure penalty, the minimal average cost would still be "only" the ~14m. While I'm fairly sure that it's lower than that for even 11* and 12* using that method (10% base rates for +7-10 would knock that down to 11m). At least, with current market prices. Nice to know there's a somewhat reasonable upper bound on the absolute worst-case scenario of grinding at the moment.

Recycle shop, 20 AC items. The cheapest of them are around 80k or so.

Exiled_Gundam
Jun 24, 2013, 03:49 AM
Thanks, man.

The +7 ticket is definitely something to consider at this point, although I'm kind of skeptical that getting to +7 alone has a cost of ~1.6m average (80k * 20). I have no way to prove that at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a more cost-effective route for getting to +7.

It's a bit more reasonable when you consider that this:

would make it closer to 18-20k per grind attempt. That'd be ~80 grinding attempts without support items. Definitely less of a pain, though.

I would say it's cheaper than trying to +7 thru normal method if you include the grind protect, since you will not be sure how many attempt to +7 will end up in failure.

DoubleCannon
Jun 24, 2013, 10:34 AM
The base meseta cost of grinding a weapon is around 13k
This weapon requires three grinders to attempt a grind

Cost is 13500 per grind and uses 4 grinders not 3 :)

ShadowDragon28
Jun 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
I wish they would add Digrinders that could grind 7 star to 9 star Weapons to +20, so people can make the weaker 7~9 * weapons alot stronger.
(Other than only adding s-attk via Power I~III, or if super lucky and by small miracle, somehow affixing with Power IV.)

Macman
Jun 25, 2013, 03:11 AM
This is all fine and dandy, but all this math is useless to 99.999% of the playerbase. :wacko:
11* weapons are solely for the purpose of occasionally seeing someone else holding in the lobby and making you feel bad about yourself. 12* may as well not even exist, lol.

Re: skip-to-+7 item
I never bothered with the recycle shop for things like that. Does any AC scratch item count or is it clothes/parts only?

Exiled_Gundam
Jun 25, 2013, 03:47 AM
This is all fine and dandy, but all this math is useless to 99.999% of the playerbase. :wacko:
11* weapons are solely for the purpose of occasionally seeing someone else holding in the lobby and making you feel bad about yourself. 12* may as well not even exist, lol.

I never bothered with the recycle shop for things like that. Does any AC scratch item count or is it clothes/parts only?
yeap any AC scratch item. The reason many suggested clothes/parts was because among AC scratch items, those are the cheapest.

+7 skip is only worth it if you are grinding 11s and 12s, since the chance to fail grinding with those weapon is high, add on also the higher number of grinders required, and meseta cost for each grind. For 10s I usually can get it to +8 under 500k meseta, so +7 skip is not worth it there

EvilMag
Jun 25, 2013, 03:47 AM

Any.

Also, I'm sure once 11*s become the norm, AC outfits are gonna go up in price because of that skip +7 item in the recycle shop.

jooozek
Jun 25, 2013, 04:18 AM
i still can't wrap it around my head as to why an item worth 40$ of AC scratch items doesn't even lock out the item grind going below +7

Walkure
Jun 25, 2013, 06:19 AM
I would say it's cheaper than trying to +7 thru normal method if you include the grind protect, since you will not be sure how many attempt to +7 will end up in failure.
If 1.6m is cheaper than the average to get to +7, then by all means it's worth using. It'd be interesting that +7 for 11* and 12* weapons would be more costly than getting to +10 on a 10*. For comparison, a 10* weapon getting to +7 takes an average of 200k. Jumping up nearly an order of magnitude is pretty surprising!

If it's pretty close, then it might as well be worth going to +7 just for convenience alone.

Another edit. Decided to look at the 10* weapon rates, and use the general patterns to craft a path from 0 -> 7 based on any patterns I can infer from that.

10* table:
http://i.imgur.com/vrNcXIy.png
Some important patterns to note:

When a grind fails, the least punishing penalty is the most common result
The minimum penalty is at most two risk away from the greatest penalty
When there's a new jump in risk, it's a very low chance to start out with.

With that in mind, I tried making a hypothetical set of rates for an 11* weapon, following the pattern with the above and the vague descriptions listed ingame.

Hypothetical numbers:
[SPOILER-BOX]
Assumed rates:
http://i.imgur.com/NDWkYGb.png

Which gives:
http://i.imgur.com/yzd0Olb.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Now, that's probably optimistic guessing of rates, for an 11* weapon, 13.5k base cost, and 4 grinders, and it gave ~1.26m for a total cost to get to +7.

So, at the least, there's a possibility of being able to save money on average, with an 11*. Doesn't look like a 12* will be able to beat a +7 ticket, since the damn thing goes to "Danger" at friggin +2.

Cost is 13500 per grind and uses 4 grinders not 3 :)Adds ~2k to the attempt cost of each of those categories, which doesn't change all that much, all things considered. I'll update in a bit after this falz.

Edit: It is done!

11* weapons are solely for the purpose of occasionally seeing someone else holding in the lobby and making you feel bad about yourself. 12* may as well not even exist, lol.That's what the math for 10* weapons is for! It's a lot more complete than this, as there are pretty good approximations for rates now.

Also, I'm sure once 11*s become the norm, AC outfits are gonna go up in price because of that skip +7 item in the recycle shop.It'll have a lot more popularity than it does now, for sure.

i still can't wrap it around my head as to why an item worth 40$ of AC scratch items doesn't even lock out the item grind going below +7That'd be too convenient, of course!