PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Episode 2 update to be around 5GB

Ezodagrom
Jun 25, 2013, 11:26 AM
Saw this earlier today, looks like the Episode 2 update will be around 5GB.
There will be a pre-download for it (update divided into parts), but it's still a rather large update, so I figured it would be better to make a topic about this. ^^;
Date for the pre-download to be announced.

http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=1684

Reiketsu
Jun 25, 2013, 11:29 AM
I feel really bad for the people who're going to install this game for the first time when Episode 2 is released

Niris
Jun 25, 2013, 11:29 AM
Damn Thats gonna take awhile. I thought it was bad as a new player updating before. I shutter to think what its going to be like patching from the bottom up after this.

I feel really bad for the people who're going to install this game for the first time when Episode 2 is releasedJINX! Can't post until I say your name =P *Edit* K maybe not we didn't say the exact same words.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
I'll be done before everyone else

-Shades-

Gardios
Jun 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
But seriously, 5 GB? The patch is basically just a new planet!

Ryo
Jun 25, 2013, 11:43 AM

And story content, which includes new voiceover, a new class, a new race, new skins, new weapons for said new class.

You'd be surprised how quickly little things add up.

Jakosifer
Jun 25, 2013, 11:43 AM
I'll be done before everyone else

-Shades-

/splashes dirt on shades

>D

And GOOD. BIGGER IS BETTER.

Crysteon
Jun 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
A new planet, and a gazillion of new clothes....for girls!

Yeah, I also think 5GB for this patch is just ridiculous, unless they are delivering like 6 months of content in a single shot (AAAAAHAHAHAHA, it ain't happening).

Also...inb4beastraceisdataminedfromthat.

jooozek
Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
im sure all the vita players with small memory cards will soon rejoice having to puchase bigger ones and with how cheap those are, can't complain

UnLucky
Jun 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
I feel really bad for the people who're going to install this game for the first time when Episode 2 is released

I should hope they would update their installer at least for Ep2, the game is like 20GB that all has to be redownloaded after you finally finish getting v1.0

Also RIP Vita users.

Crysteon
Jun 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
Vita patch will be 2.3GB, giving a magnificent total 5.5GB of weight for this game. I've never heard of a vita game weighting that much, lol.

Gardios
Jun 25, 2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I also think 5GB for this patch is just ridiculous, unless they are delivering like 6 months of content in a single shot (AAAAAHAHAHAHA, it ain't happening).

Yes, pretty much.

And the chances for that to happen is equal to SEGA releasing more male costumes than female ones.

Also RIP Vita users.

16 GB card supremacy.

In other news, I hate money.

shagia
Jun 25, 2013, 11:50 AM
not surprising, it's episode 2! :p

what I WILL find surprising is how long that download is going to take, bwahaha

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
wasn't the advance class update 4gigs

how IS this 5 gigs

gigawuts
Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
Lots of content to be used later on, I guess?

Ezodagrom
Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
Probably a part of the 5GB is replacing files we already have with updated versions, so 5GB download doesn't mean the game folder will increase by 5GB.

And, of course, they're adding stuff in preparation for future updates, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be data for the other 2 areas that are coming this year.

Kitoshi
Jun 25, 2013, 11:56 AM
And story content, which includes new voiceover, a new class, a new race, new skins, new weapons for said new class.

*Gasp for air* Someone that realizes how fast stuff can add up in game development!

Also to add to this, 2 sets of new weapons cause there is bows and katana's.
Then there is 3 variants of the new beach (normal - hard - very hard).

Don't forget all the new blue tablets to add, some guy on a JP blog already mined 50 new tablets, that's 50 pieces of voice work added already.

There is so much more to developing a game then 99 % of the people here realize.

Probably a part of the 5GB is replacing files we already have with updated versions, so 5GB download doesn't mean the game folder will increase by 5GB.

And, of course, they're adding stuff in preparation for future updates, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be data for the other 2 areas that are coming this year.

This is true, but the official post does indeed say to keep 5gb free (cause of how the precede saves things obviously).

shagia
Jun 25, 2013, 11:56 AM

how IS this 5 gigs

didn't that update include new weapon types, animation, and skills?

also

Crysteon
Jun 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
Inb4 next colossal boss is a 30 ft sized Rappy Mecha.

Kitoshi
Jun 25, 2013, 12:03 PM

how IS this 5 gigs

Wasn't that before there were even 10*'s in the game back then ? Hell, were there even 6*'s ?

You can't forget what an insane amount of weapons got added since then, especially 10*'s, pyroable 9*'s and all that stuff.

Apply the fact they are most likely adding 10*'s for katana's and bullet bows right of the bat.

Fleuret
Jun 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
Well looks like I wont be on for a while. I already get enough download errors using my phones data >.>

oratank
Jun 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
5gigs of panty and boob

Gardios
Jun 25, 2013, 12:06 PM
Except that the number of unique weapon types that got added back then blows this out of the water. A couple of 10★ katana and bow models is not going to balance that difference out.

ShinMaruku
Jun 25, 2013, 12:07 PM

You got it. For many things you need XGB for the download for storage purposes until the install is completed where the older stuff is overwritten. Size added will probably be 2 gigs.

Shinamori
Jun 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
Audio data adds up, especially if the audio data isn't compressed.

ShinMaruku
Jun 25, 2013, 12:24 PM
This game's audio ain't shit. Now Last of us and Killzone... Goddamn...

shagia
Jun 25, 2013, 12:27 PM
Audio data adds up, especially if the audio data isn't compressed.

they could be using the .ogg format w/ FMOD in mono, Wave / WavePack is great when uncompressed but .ogg usually takes the cake with it's (compressed) quality and file size.

I can't imagine a lot of the ingame sounds being uncompressed stereo files in a 3D game aspect...

Crysteon
Jun 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
Except that the number of unique weapon types that got added back then blows this out of the water. A couple of 10★ katana and bow models is not going to balance that difference out.

Brace yourselves! Elder might get new weapon drops after the 17th. I'm totally calling Agito and Edel Arrow, lol.

Gama
Jun 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
5 gigabytes, for a new episode... its not that much.

like previously said:

new class - skins,clothes,acessories,hairstyles,voices maybe. and then weapons for them

New episode - story - new npc's, voices, video for certain story parts

New planet - Video intro of said planet, enemy skins, sounds, and reskins "them plants" area skins with 3 variants. new bosses, music for new bosses and areas.

Possible shader upgrades "lets hope so" performance tweaks , interface changes,

manny files arent patched theyre replaced, so i would supose that the true size adition to the game would be around 2-3 gigabytes maybe.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
I hope for better shader options

Like removing those enviromental dot things

shagia
Jun 25, 2013, 12:50 PM
I've been a happy camper ever since they introduced basic shaders, thank god they did that

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 25, 2013, 12:51 PM
GAME WILL NOW USE HEDGEHOG ENGINE

shagia
Jun 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
UNLIMITED PARTICLES FUCK YEAH AAAAURRGHHHHH

Enforcer MKV
Jun 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
Higher quality textures/native AO for gamers with better PCs? :D

...Dammit, let me dream.

Gama
Jun 25, 2013, 01:17 PM
GAME WILL NOW USE HEDGEHOG ENGINE

unless we got some better poly count, that would be useless.

tesselation would be fun.

Dan Maku
Jun 25, 2013, 01:21 PM

Plus a new race, plus a new class, plus new weapons, plus Support Partners, plus minirooms, plus ARKS Load...

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
that would be useless.
Exactly why SEGA will do it!

Emp
Jun 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
Sadly no info on how big the update is for the vita.

Vandread
Jun 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Vita is 2.3GB supposedly.

Emp
Jun 25, 2013, 01:41 PM
Vita is 2.3GB supposedly.

Ahhh hmmm, I might need to use that 16g mem card I bought while ago soon.

blace
Jun 25, 2013, 01:41 PM
I do know that most updates on the Vita overwrites existing data. May be the same for PC.

There are quite a bit of problems with the game that need ironing out after all.

gigawuts
Jun 25, 2013, 01:47 PM
Well, we've suspected that Ep 2 might come with some considerable updates, bugfixes, and general improvements to the game, as has been done with major expansions in previous PS titles.

So I guess we're going to find out soon.

Emp
Jun 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
I do know that most updates on the Vita overwrites existing data. May be the same for PC.

There are quite a bit of problems with the game that need ironing out after all.

Such as?

blace
Jun 25, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hopefully something that improves the RNG. One could dream.

Such as?
If you have ever looked at the Vita versions game directory, the updates for the game were at, different points in time, 1GB, 500MB, 700MB and so on for the past several months. With all of the updates it would have totaled to around 3-4GB of updates whereas it has taken up 2.3GB on my current memory card.

gigawuts
Jun 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
Man, that would probably get its own episode. I don't really expect any changes to the RNG in the JP version, ever. Even if they release in the west I feel like they'd launch with everything as-is, then only change it if the game is clearly a flop to try to lure players back.

Emp
Jun 25, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hopefully something that improves the RNG. One could dream.

If you have ever looked at the Vita versions game directory, the updates for the game were at, different points in time, 1GB, 500MB, 700MB and so on for the past several months. With all of the updates it would have totaled to around 3-4GB of updates whereas it has taken up 2.3GB on my current memory card.

I was reffering to the problems u mentioned.

blace
Jun 25, 2013, 01:57 PM
I was reffering to the problems u mentioned.
PB sound effects in lobby, some techs not working when tapping on the pallete on the Vita(not sure if it is just me, but it is enough of a problem when I try casting them), load times taking a while/disconnecting, and so on.

If you haven't experienced any of these then good for you, and before you say it's my network, I have three different access points to play from and each one does the same.

Emp
Jun 25, 2013, 02:01 PM
PB sound effects in lobby, some techs not working when tapping on the pallete on the Vita(not sure if it is just me, but it is enough of a problem when I try casting them), load times taking a while/disconnecting, and so on.

If you haven't experienced any of these then good for you, and before you say it's my network, I have three different access points to play from and each one does the same.

Never had a problem with casting tech off the pallete on my vita. Only techs I keep on it is resta, sazan(break rubble). Only problem I want fixed is the load times. But tbh Ive gotten quite used to it.

Zenobia
Jun 25, 2013, 02:15 PM
5GB of np pffftt LMFAO welp looks like I can finally get some skyrim time in!

Scarlet-Star
Jun 25, 2013, 03:24 PM
...What the hell SEGA?

Zyrusticae
Jun 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Higher quality textures/native AO for gamers with better PCs? :D

...Dammit, let me dream.
I'll dream right with you.

Gawd, even some basic AO would basically be free to implement, in terms of development time...

Arialle
Jun 25, 2013, 07:46 PM
mehh looks like im gonna spend days constantly reconnecting just to pre download the patch again n again....since sega patcher always gives me dc error while patching

BIG OLAF
Jun 25, 2013, 08:06 PM
5gigs of panty and boob

Don't tease us like that. Only 4GB of the update will be tacky, tasteless, objectifying clothing.

which isn't nearly enough

lostinseganet
Jun 25, 2013, 08:26 PM
Maybe it is that big because there is more to it than they have show us...

Gardios
Jun 25, 2013, 08:41 PM
Don't tease us like that. Only 4GB of the update will be tacky, tasteless, objectifying clothing.

which isn't nearly enough

The last GB will be the cheetah speedo.

yoshiblue
Jun 25, 2013, 09:53 PM
Who knows, maybe the lobby will receive a massive overhaul and become a gigantic city lobby?

Macman
Jun 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
The current lobby already has nobody present in 80% of it, why space it out even more?

yoshiblue
Jun 25, 2013, 09:56 PM
To combine the less used channel into one big channel could be one use. Could also be taking a page from PSU's lobbys.

Sinue_v2
Jun 25, 2013, 09:56 PM
... yeah, I might just buy the premium package and have it shipped from Japan. On my connection, it'd probably take less time and be a hell of a lot less frustrating than trying to download it from Sega's servers. Plus then, at least, I can install it on however many machines I want.

Leave it to Sega to make communicating at the speed of light slower than relying on the USPS.

UnLucky
Jun 25, 2013, 10:46 PM
I'll be updating the EN PSO2JP Installer with the Episode 2 content to ease the pain. :3

I trust you to do that, but I still think it's a travesty that Sega has not once updated the installer on the main page. And it should be a crime for them to keep it in that state even after Ep2 launches.

I wonder if the new premium package even has updated files, or just different codes for the bundled prizes...

CloudChaser
Jun 25, 2013, 10:49 PM
If they actually decide to bring this over to the west, How many of the updates do you think we will get? will we start out with the amount we have now or back to square one?

ReaperTheAbsol
Jun 25, 2013, 11:11 PM
If they actually decide to bring this over to the west, How many of the updates do you think we will get? will we start out with the amount we have now or back to square one?

It is safe to assume that it would be day one. All the "sales opportunities" would go out the window if everything currently released was in the game day one. All the licensed stuff that never made it to western shores would be cut out of the game, and if Segac is feeling generous they would reskin them into something else.

gigawuts
Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 PM
In F2P games the trickle of content is important for keeping people around. They've said they want it to be close to the JP level of content, but they've also apparently (I've read it here, not in an article) said that they were waiting for a nice amount of content to release in the JP version first. I don't know if that means they'd have more to trickle, or more to launch with.

Ideally they'd launch it with more than the JP version had, preferably with 2 areas per planet. That'd give it a nice amount of content and variety and keep most players from getting bored too quickly, which would most definitely happen (and then they'd get distracted by the next f2p game or maybe a butterfly). Then they'd trickle things in, but either a bit faster or with a bit more substance.

GatheringFox
Jun 25, 2013, 11:25 PM
It is safe to assume that it would be day one. All the "sales opportunities" would go out the window if everything currently released was in the game day one. All the licensed stuff that never made it to western shores would be cut out of the game, and if Segac is feeling generous they would reskin them into something else.

When they do release it for West, I don't think they will have just day one. They will not have all the updates/addons/patch's JP has, but they should have some. If they do something like this, it will make them look better and keep sales. They will have the cover of trying to get all the updates/addons/patch's JP has and have the "sale opportunities" they want. But then again, if they did something like this. People could get madat the fact that they postponed the release for updates/addons/patch's, when they could have released day one. I think they will find some middle ground.

Just my opinion, I could be missing some facts or something..I don't know.

ReaperTheAbsol
Jun 25, 2013, 11:29 PM
You're both probably right. It'll probably launch at around the time Fighters, Gunners and Techers were released, or perhaps a little further down the line. Anything is possible at this point. Let the speculation begin.

supersonix9
Jun 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
it's just 5 gigs

plus we'll have plenty of delicious datamining to sift through

Enforcer MKV
Jun 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
In F2P games the trickle of content is important for keeping people around. They've said they want it to be close to the JP level of content, but they've also apparently (I've read it here, not in an article) said that they were waiting for a nice amount of content to release in the JP version first. I don't know if that means they'd have more to trickle, or more to launch with.

Ideally they'd launch it with more than the JP version had, preferably with 2 areas per planet. That'd give it a nice amount of content and variety and keep most players from getting bored too quickly, which would most definitely happen (and then they'd get distracted by the next f2p game or maybe a butterfly). Then they'd trickle things in, but either a bit faster or with a bit more substance.

Hey! The butterflies around here are freaking beauti- OOOOOOH, Monarch butterfly! *chases.*

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2013, 01:32 AM
You're both probably right. It'll probably launch at around the time Fighters, Gunners and Techers were released, or perhaps a little further down the line. Anything is possible at this point. Let the speculation begin.

I'd really like it to have subclassing out of the box, as the Advanced Classes are sorta... bad. Well, Fighter is good if Fury Stance is still garbage, but no Hunter weapons hurts it.

I see a lot of people quitting by lv20 if it launches as JP v1.0. I don't want that to happen.

Meji
Jun 26, 2013, 02:23 AM
Uhm, just in comparison, how huge are usually the WoW expansions that come out every now and then?
And wasn't AotI also around 5gb in size when it came out?

With the modern technology we have today compared to back then, 5GB is literally nothing in my opinion.

Sinue_v2
Jun 26, 2013, 02:38 AM
Uhm, just in comparison, how huge are usually the WoW expansions that come out every now and then?

With the modern technology we have today compared to back then, 5GB is literally nothing in my opinion.

It wouldn't be a big deal if I could get a connection speed faster than 0.5Mbps and if it didn't drop and reset every time I go to stream a movie on Netflix or (god forbid) fiddle around too long in my web browser. Shits like being back on 56k.

This will be the first major update I've tried since switching over to the English Launcher, so if that has any hangups, it's back to waiting offline for three days and babysitting my connection.

MetalDude
Jun 26, 2013, 02:56 AM

I think during Cata, Blizzard had released a patch that deleted a huge chunk of unnecessary files, bringing down the total to 10GB. As in, 10GB for a huge, open-world MMO with many raid instances and countless amounts of music, voice work, and text. I have no idea how PSO2 whores out all the space it does.

I really hope there's more to this than just more content. We need changes.

Meji
Jun 26, 2013, 03:50 AM
It wouldn't be a big deal if I could get a connection speed faster than 0.5Mbps and if it didn't drop and reset every time I go to stream a movie on Netflix or (god forbid) fiddle around too long in my web browser. Shits like being back on 56k. I can totally understand this. I guess I'm just a little spoiled with Sweden's top-notch net speeds (though downloading from JP servers never really go past 1MB/s).
I guess Japanese players with the same problem would head out and buy the expansion DVD, but that's a very limited option for us ENG-players.

gigawuts
Jun 26, 2013, 07:59 AM
It wouldn't be a big deal if I could get a connection speed faster than 0.5Mbps and if it didn't drop and reset every time I go to stream a movie on Netflix or (god forbid) fiddle around too long in my web browser. Shits like being back on 56k.

This will be the first major update I've tried since switching over to the English Launcher, so if that has any hangups, it's back to waiting offline for three days and babysitting my connection.

Yup, beat me to it.

My internet is just fine, but I know plenty of people who seem to have soup cans and string connecting their computer to the rest of us, and all they can do about it is change the labels on the soup cans by switching companies. That string doesn't get any better, and that's if there's even an alternative ISP where they live.

Sinue_v2
Jun 26, 2013, 09:28 AM
Actually, my internet service is fine if that's what you're getting at. It's not awesome by any means, but I have no issues streaming multiple Netflix movies or downloading games (some of which are much bigger than this patch) over Xbox Live or Steam. I just can't seem to get a reliable connection to Sega's patch/update server.

Zyrusticae
Jun 26, 2013, 11:37 AM
I think during Cata, Blizzard had released a patch that deleted a huge chunk of unnecessary files, bringing down the total to 10GB. As in, 10GB for a huge, open-world MMO with many raid instances and countless amounts of music, voice work, and text. I have no idea how PSO2 whores out all the space it does.

I really hope there's more to this than just more content. We need changes.
Wait, what? WoW gets a patch that is twice as big and you're wondering how PSO2 "whores out all the space it does"? If anything, SEGA is being remarkably efficient in comparison, especially considering they have higher-res assets all-around (look at WoW again, and look at those assets, and you should realize that they're tiny in comparison to PSO2's).

Also WoW hardly has any voice work at all, don't know where you're getting that from.

Also, yes, obviously there are going to be changes to the base game in addition to the content additions.

Z-0
Jun 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
I am pretty sure he means that the entire client is 10GB, not the patch.

Kitoshi
Jun 26, 2013, 11:42 AM
Has everyone forgotten already this game does precede/pre-downloads ?
People are talking like they have to patch the entire 5gb on the day of ep 2 launch.

I personally think there is going to be 4 - 5 precedes this time, due to how big it is in total.

Zyrusticae
Jun 26, 2013, 11:45 AM
I am pretty sure he means that the entire client is 10GB, not the patch.
Oh.

Same thing, there's a ton of assets in the game at a much, MUCH higher resolution than any of WoW's base assets. No one should be surprised at all that the game is bigger than something originally released in 2004. (And even then, after accounting for recent expansions, the game now hovers at the 21GB mark.)

solid_snark
Jun 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
If I remember reading correctly, PSO2's update servers are on a separate IP out of S. Korea. That might be what messes with some people's download speeds.

MetalDude
Jun 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
Oh.

Same thing, there's a ton of assets in the game at a much, MUCH higher resolution than any of WoW's base assets. No one should be surprised at all that the game is bigger than something originally released in 2004. (And even then, after accounting for recent expansions, the game now hovers at the 21GB mark.)

I'm still not buying it. I'm talking Cataclysm, as in the third expansion, therefore that includes BC and LK with it. 10GB may have been an understatement but it was barely that much more than that. I feel like PSO2 is bloating a lot faster for a game that randomly generates landscapes (meaning it simply needs "puzzle pieces" to connect and a seed to put them together based on the quest).

jooozek
Jun 26, 2013, 01:31 PM
knowing sega i wouldnt be surprised if they generated all the possible layouts and host them in some bloated format on client side

Zyrusticae
Jun 26, 2013, 01:48 PM
I'm still not buying it. I'm talking Cataclysm, as in the third expansion, therefore that includes BC and LK with it. 10GB may have been an understatement but it was barely that much more than that. I feel like PSO2 is bloating a lot faster for a game that randomly generates landscapes (meaning it simply needs "puzzle pieces" to connect and a seed to put them together based on the quest).
You're wrong.

Let me put it this way. World of Warcraft's character models have a very low number of polygons (roughly 5000, give or take) and low-resolution textures (512x512 at most) - and even then, they only use painted diffuse textures. Phantasy Star Online 2's models have at least 15k polys per model (and this is just from me eyeballing it) and MULTIPLE 1024x1024 textures (diffuse, normal, specular) on characters alone. I should remind you that doubling both dimensions on a texture quadruples the amount of data you're actually storing. Individual weapons alone account for a huge chunk of the data, when you consider that both katanas and bows will each have at least 30 unique weapon models, all of which have a high polygon count and high-resolution textures. Then you account for the fact that every matter board and blue tablet event is fully voiced, whereas the only voice overs in World of Warcraft are in the occasional cutscenes and for NPC greetings.

The only thing surprising about this amount of data is how many people don't understand just how much stuff is actually in there. A single 1024x1024 .dds texture alone can run you 4 MBs, and you have hundreds of those in a single update. (It's not uncommon for a heavily modded Skyrim installation to breach 30 GBs - and that's a single-player game!)

Kitoshi
Jun 26, 2013, 02:04 PM
Let me tell you how this shit works.

Cause you people, and this thread....

The actual patch size, the precede, will be 5gb.
The actual EP2 content, the real content/patch will NOT be 5gb.

Why ?

Because the precede takes the existing file and then "copies" it so to say.

So in example you have the file that has all weapons textures and all that stuff.
The precede downloads a new weapon file with all the old textures + the new ones included, suddenly it becomes a far bigger update then it appears to be.

The actual size might only be 2-3gb, like mentioned before.

This off course means you still have to download the 5gb in the precede, but atleast now you know why it's 5gb and not 2.

and @the guy saying WoW cataclysm was 10gb, no. just no.
Even just googling for 10 seconds you can find people saying cataclysm was atleast 16gb, some even reporting 20-25gb, so ya, no.