PDA

View Full Version : did sega just ban graphic modified

oratank
Jul 4, 2013, 02:54 AM
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=1738

along with google translated it appear something like that really?

jooozek
Jul 4, 2013, 03:01 AM
lol no
its about icons/stuff extracting from predownload data

Meji
Jul 4, 2013, 03:25 AM
Oh, so it's against the ToS to datamine?

How in the world will they be able to track down the people doing that?

jooozek
Jul 4, 2013, 03:31 AM
"Section 9 of the User Agreement prohibits players from analyzing data and releasing game assets to the public prior to its official release. This action may force the company to suspend the player’s account or take legal action. (This notice may be in regards to a Japanese PSO2 blog that was recently suspended for leaking game materials and Episode 2 story content. )"

from bumped

Kondibon
Jul 4, 2013, 03:52 AM
Oh, so it's against the ToS to datamine?

How in the world will they be able to track down the people doing that?Just because it's against the ToS doesn't mean they're tracking it. It's like the whole thing with non-japanse technically not being allowed to play.

I've actually seen plenty of companies do this. They don't go around on a witch hunt but if you get caught (or reported) it's harder to repeal it since you were, willingly, doing something against the ToS in the first place. This doesn't seem like something new. It was already in the ToS they're just bringing it to attention. Chances are most people anonymously posting datamined things won't get in any trouble unless they have a noticeable connection to their account, draw enough attention to warrant legal action from SEGA, the latter of which most likely won't happen.

Most of this most likely won't affect anyone who's cautious and doesn't go around like "MY INGAME NAME IS "X" AND I DATAMINE ALL THE TIME AND USE THE ENGLISH PATCH!" all day. That doesn't mean you should just ignore it though.

I remember a particularly nasty time in Mabinogi when there was a mass of temp suspensions while Nexon investigated all the accounts. When the accounts finally released they got compensated, but while they were investigating they found that some people had broken the ToS in other ways and didn't compensate them, as they should have been suspended anyway.

Basically the more you do against the ToS regardless of how "fair" you think it is don't complain if you get caught for something minor or you didn't do and then end up getting in more trouble because they found out you actually did something.

As for client modifications I can think of a pretty good reason that's against the ToS. Money. You can call it greedy but let's face it, if everyone can just swap files to get the aesthetic things they want it detracts money from scratch sales, which pulls money away from the game.

NoiseHERO
Jul 4, 2013, 05:29 AM
TL;DR: Just a scare by tossing something into the rules, people are still going to do it and not much people are going to be affected if any.

But if someone DOES get a hammer to the face, WHO'DA THOUGHT! : D

This tea smells like someone picked through a box of fruit loops and only left the "lemon" flavored ones in...

Aine
Jul 4, 2013, 05:47 AM
That clause they added in also prohibits altering and modding the game.

EDIT: Wait, it was already in the TOS? And we've been openly talking about datamined stuff in-game all this time. Welp carry on

Kondibon
Jul 4, 2013, 06:24 AM
TL;DR: Just a scare by tossing something into the rules, people are still going to do it and not much people are going to be affected if any.

But if someone DOES get a hammer to the face, WHO'DA THOUGHT! : D

This tea smells like someone picked through a box of fruit loops and only left the "lemon" flavored ones in...

EDIT: Wait, it was already in the TOS? And we've been openly talking about datamined stuff in-game all this time. Welp carry on

You guys more or less said what I was trying to say better and in less words. ; w; I should try to be less wordy.

SquashDemon
Jul 5, 2013, 12:05 AM
<insert 9 proxies joke here.>

But seriously, that could actually kinda be inconvenient for the PSO2 Bloggers, since I recall a few screens that actually showed character names. I mean, you can arks search by char name, they just have to see if they can get an IP match from the posts on the site to the logins on the game, even one, and they have cause to ban.

This is, of course, saying they care enough to do that.

I've not heard of a single case of an English-speaking user being banned yet, and I'd probably be very surprised to hear of it, since I understand that Sakai seems to know of the foreign presence and (at least at one point in time) was glad of it.

Kondibon
Jul 5, 2013, 12:10 AM
I've not heard of a single case of an English-speaking user being banned yet, and I'd probably be very surprised to hear of it, since I understand that Sakai seems to know of the foreign presence and (at least at one point in time) was glad of it.I'm sure there have been a few but it was most likely for other stuff with it only being discovered afterwards they weren't japanese. The "No non-japanese" thing is more likely to keep people from getting back than as a way to get them gone though. Basically, we have one chance even if we do something that would normally result in a short suspension.

SquashDemon
Jul 5, 2013, 03:37 AM
not hard though really, I've never been banned from anywhere. My secret? I'm not a braying donkey who goes around hoping people get angry enough to ban me.

Kondibon
Jul 5, 2013, 03:45 AM
not hard though really, I've never been banned from anywhere. My secret? I'm not a braying donkey who goes around hoping people get angry enough to ban me.

I've had one ban in my entire life worth noting and that was from a game where I named my characters things like Mindqueef, and Lolivore. Mostly because I wasn't interested in the game anyway.

So yeah, it's not like it's hard to avoid getting banned.