PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Is Proof That Sequels Aren't Always Better

Electrocaseal
Jul 22, 2013, 03:43 AM
I know a lot of people get hyped when a new game is announced because they think of the endless possibilities of a new game. Their fantasy and imagination goes wild. but franchises like unreal tournament, tribes, command & conquer, Phantasy Star, etc have all been milked and has horrible low ranking dead games or games that severely lacked content compared to past games but managed to hold a acceptable player base...

I just got done reading a thread on here where a lot of people were complaining about there being no doors/gates, recognizable areas, etc. I made comments like this when the alpha first came out. All the levels looked and felt the same with literally different textures. For example, the forest area in PSO has some areas with pavement and fancy structures in the background, pretty dreamcast style lens flare, rain every now and then, etc. People competed for drops. There was constant player itneraction and competition and showing off and value in everything you did. Now its almostl ike playing offline with a bunch of ghosts. its like the game is made for people who like a single player, dont mess with my gameplay approach. You see random groups of players coming and going. it really is like a ghost sighting. people are in a alternate dimension picking up their own loot.

Seriously, the people who defend this kind of stuff are mental. im serious. people actually cant even handle people picking up drops. how sheltered and pathetic you have to be for real. HE PICKED UP A DROP I WANTED THAT IS SICK PUT ME IN M OWN PROTECTED BUBBLE. the whole time i played pso2 i had no interaction with the peopel i played with. it was a surreal feeling of emptiness.

i dont understand why people play pso2. i see some good advancements in the game engine itself and some cool looking things every now and then but the game is totally alien.

f2p is really a cancer. i likedl eague of legends for a while and tribes ascend and even blacklight but at the end of the day the online marketplace really gets in the way and the gameplay turns into being empty and redundant. maybe its cause you spend mroe time buying what you want rather than finding it and obtaining it.

i dont consider pso2 a game. like i said it scares and confuses me. games around 1999 to 2005 made sense to me. idk wtf is going on ever since they casualized and bastardized and made everything soulless. psobb is a great game and its because you actually earned your stuff. traded. competed. had value you and appealing dungeons. straight to the point gameplay. i rarely play video games anymore but when i look at the selection of games out there most the time the older games are just as good as the newer ones or some times even better. i used to obsess over how much stuff you could do in tribes 2 with thundersword bombers, different classes, all fully unlocked, etc. tribes ascend lacks a lot of stuff but they did implement SOME enjoyable enhancement to the game even though its casualized and mroe straight to the point. maybe thats why i even liked tribes ascend a little bit. i fell in love with the exotice unique weaponry of the doombringer compared to other classes. and the game a lot of times was no nonsense while tribes 2 sometimes had quite a bit of build up and waiting to do something. thats why i liked pso. it was a very no nonsense rpg with that exotic touch and memorable music, world, items, etc. pso2 is generic and boring and full of over complexity f2p dribble which is why psu went in the wrong direction too.

blace
Jul 22, 2013, 03:44 AM
Oh look, it's you again.

What's done is done. Rant elsewhere.

Meji
Jul 22, 2013, 03:48 AM
I don't know what kind of people you played the game together with, but in my opinion PSO2 is way more alive than any of the other PS games. I do believe you know that shared loot would not go that well in a 12/12 MPA with random players, right?

blace
Jul 22, 2013, 03:53 AM
I don't know what kind of people you played the game together with, but in my opinion PSO2 is way more alive than any of the other PS games. I do believe you know that shared loot would not go that well in a 12/12 MPA with random players, right?

It would be a mosh pit of people bickering over who stole the drop, that's for sure. Hell, I remember in PSOBB, people threatened to report you for cheating and say I'll get banned for picking up useless rares.

Putting your personal opinions aside, the game is lacking quite a bit and that the drip fed content isn't exactly the best way to release content as most of us breeze through it just fine. However, you completely lack the interaction seeing as how people communicate quite often to get E. Codes done. I honestly, don't have much else to counter argue as I do agree with some of your points.

Games like League of Legends and Tribes: Ascend have brought about differing play styles, but they also rely entirely on drip fed content and rely heavily on the PvP aspect whereas PSO2 is entirely PvE. When was the last time League of Legends got a real content update besides a new champ or skin? You pay for the skin/animation model and bragging rights if you do well, whereas PSO2 is pretty much the same in that regard where people endlessly buy cosmetics, functional or not, and compete for it in the player shop environment.

An example of what I mean, recently Riot Games put out a new ultimate skin for Udyr. Since his new skin, people have been going crazy over buying him mainly for the new skin. PSO2 follows that same regard by releasing new clothing, where everything is about the hype and relatively new content. In that area the games themselves are no different, people want cosmetics and are willing to pay for them.

Yutaka20
Jul 22, 2013, 04:00 AM
lol seriously i think u might be in another ship other then ship2
becos it's "GOD D*** B20" ;P
there is so much interaction that u totally feel that u need to attend peace in the shop zone :3
i mean if u are referring to the fact that while u are in missions, u dont see ppl talking as if it's just ghost/ai walking around.it's always due to the fact that most of the time ppl are focusing on looking at the map,chatting with team members,using controller aka cant type,practically dont wanna bother with talking with others lol.

i am not sure if i get ur fustration about the ""You got a rare on YOUR screen and i dont see crap other then the bloody onion ring!(meseta ring)"
many prefer it that way,and infact many games starts looking into that. why? too many looters lol.
and it's always more fun to "lag" and still see ur loot on the floor awaiting u to pick then
"ZOMG RARE!!! <lag>
*looted by fast conn player* <emo+rant while watching the looter leaves pt and runs with it>

just join a active spamming team.questing would never be bored for u with constant ppl talking .
it works well for me lol.

PSO2 follows that same regard by releasing new clothing, where everything is about the hype and relatively new content. In that area the games themselves are no different, people want cosmetics and are willing to pay for them.

i totally agree.i mean many games purely rely on u really pay to get costume and looking fabulous.
but wat made pso2 more outstanding is,
for ppl whose willing to pay ,they get their stuff AC style,
for those who play hard grind harder,they get the stuff from AC players ;meseta style.
everyone is happy with it ;)
i mean really this game is more about fashion then trying to be OP against one another.
one reason it's PVE type game.
wat TS is looking for is more of a pvp based game . so even if u are max lvl ,u will totally feel empty forever lol.

blace
Jul 22, 2013, 04:04 AM
To add something else, in another game with an open environment I was fighting a boss mob solo, and since the servers at the time were all PK, I was stunned when I had killed the boss mob and the looters picked up my rares and killed me on the spot.

I didn't mind being killed, seeing as it was a PK server, but I did mind putting forth the time and effort into doing something to have it dashed away by some other group that would rather leech off of someone elses hard work.

Yutaka20
Jul 22, 2013, 04:12 AM
To add something else, in another game with an open environment I was fighting a boss mob solo, and since the servers at the time were all PK, I was stunned when I had killed the boss mob and the looters picked up my rares and killed me on the spot.

I didn't mind being killed, seeing as it was a PK server, but I did mind putting forth the time and effort into doing something to have it dashed away by some other group that would rather leech off of someone elses hard work.

my thoughts exactly...
this game often have public player randomly joining,may it be for the sake of farming or just needed the mob killcount.
but u won't be able to always have a good community where it goes "Oh a rare but u are the one who killed it.dont worry i wont take it " situation lol

i mean come on lol ,it's human nature,"i am a noob,i need gear,and god damn boss drop something which i am gonna spend the next long period to find .the hell with being good semarian,u probably wont be able to see me anyway <loot and runs>"

Electrocaseal
Jul 22, 2013, 04:16 AM
like i said before in a previous post. the original pso you could steal people's weapon whenever they died. that added to the gameplay of only using your best weapons when you thought it was safe enough to do so or with people you trusted. it added a whole new dynamic of players to the game. and there was a rush feeling of stealing a uber from another player when you had no rares at all. i remember the first time i saw someone pull out a heaven punisher. i was in awe lol. and you people act like it was gamebreaking to do all this. it wasnt. yeah some people cried. a lot of those cry babies were hilariously and crappy people to begin with so it was fun watching them cry and add drama to the game. pso2 has nothing good about it. just a pointless grind and yeah the overly expensive skins in league of legends and having to grind pretty hard in tribes ascend to fully unlock a specific character class really messed up the game since there isnt a lot of depth and gear to start out with like tribes 2. nothing more pathetic than league of legends coming out with a new legendary over priced skin and seeing people wanting ot buy it. bunch of losers.

i should probably look for a game to play that still offers looting carcasses. cant think of many besides eve online. that game isnt a no nonsense straight to the point game so i wouldnt wanna play that tho. shoulda kept my dreamcast hahaha. long live the original. no monthly fees. no f2p fail. no baby bubble protection to prevent crying.

Yutaka20
Jul 22, 2013, 04:26 AM
lol nah , then the game will be so cautious based that ,no one will ever interact with each other ,other then u and ur close friends,rooms will almost always be lockdown to team and friends.
so u will see the game going downfall except to ppl who are just pvp powered.
new players will be stress,old pked player would be cussing looters.and the whole "BLOODY LOOTER xoxoxo" cussing will be all over the public chat. no thanks to that.i rather have a community like wat we have now.if u really cannot stand "carebear" game , i guess u might wanna go back to pso1 :/
pso2 isnt a place for u.
lol now i understand why ur tread is mosted ;P
last post for me LOL
not a dead horse :x
and enjoying pso2 at it fullest!

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 22, 2013, 04:37 AM
oh look its the same guy that didn't know what he was talking about before is talking again good job now can you get off PSO1's nut sack and let it die while most of us play PSO2?

Yutaka20
Jul 22, 2013, 04:44 AM
oh look its the same guy that didn't know what he was talking about before is talking again good job now can you get off PSO1's nut sack and let it die while most of us play PSO2?

lol i know i promise that was my last post but since it surface on the general tread all i wanna say is ...

facebook referrance : I like the comment so much that i unliked and LIKE-ed it again so many time to show u how much i like it! XD

Nitro Vordex
Jul 28, 2013, 01:25 AM
snip
If you think it's a ghost town, then you're on the wrong ship. Ship 2 is extremely populated, I've seen multiple blocks get filled during EQ's, and even then it's usually pretty busy. And if you actually thought about the continuity of the game for more than five seconds, you'd realize that the tundra being reskinned forest isn't that crazy. (FYI: Forest and Tundra are connected and rather sudden which is what leads the Arks to investigate.)

Emptiness? Get some people to play with. Problem solved.

I think you should adjust your rose tinted glasses a bit, it's going to be important to get through this.

strikerhunter
Jul 28, 2013, 02:19 AM
i dont understand why people play pso2. i see some good advancements in the game engine itself and some cool looking things every now and then but the game is totally alien.

People play games because people like to, you don't have to understand.
Game is alien? Welcome to the new generation of gamers and games, you finally caught up.

f2p is really a cancer. i liked league of legends for a while and tribes ascend and even blacklight but at the end of the day the online marketplace really gets in the way and the gameplay turns into being empty and redundant. maybe its cause you spend mroe time buying what you want rather than finding it and obtaining it.

F2P more players and is a better marketing strategy. Be glad that you don't have to pay to unlock contents like Lord of the Rings Online.

i rarely play video games anymore but when i look at the selection of games out there most the time the older games are just as good as the newer ones or some times even better. i used to obsess over how much stuff you could do in tribes 2 with thundersword bombers, different classes, all fully unlocked, etc.

This is good sign for you: You finally grew up and had a life which means you found something else interesting over games.

Judging a past games and current gen games is very inaccurate because it all leads down to the how players felt. Players likes to recall good memories from older games saying games today should like games in the past when in reality, 1.) it's just you recalling good and joyful memories over the bad memories. 2.) you losing taste or 3.) you are getting bored.

Neith
Jul 28, 2013, 06:35 AM
PSO was a great game. It's also now very old and very dated. I played it for years but it's just too much of a relic to keep playing now.

Times change; I don't necessarily agree with everything Sega has done with PSO2 (I hate the 'free to play' model for example as it's so laden with purchases in-game that you can easily end up spending more. I'd prefer a simple monthly fee but I understand that most games operate the F2P system now).

However, at its core PSO2 is a decent game. Moreover, it shouldn't be compared to PSO. They are NOT direct sequels. PSOBB was a sequel in that it introduced more story in Episode 4. PSO Episode 3 was a sequel. PSO2 doesn't even take place on the same planet as PSO and I certainly wouldn't call it a sequel. The name doesn't help matters; people take it to mean it's the next PSO when the story isn't even connected (until proven otherwise).

That's my view anyway (as someone who sunk thousands of hours into PSO).

Anon_Fire
Aug 4, 2013, 12:04 AM
What everyone is saying is that PSO is ancient history now, TC.