PDA

View Full Version : Japanese CAPTCHA video guide

Jim
Jul 24, 2013, 06:26 PM
Working on my first PSO2 video guide. I decided to go with Japanese CAPTCHAs. I need help gathering data on pitfalls that mess people up with these things. One I've brought up in the past is characters that look similar like め (Me) and ぬ (Nu). Another is the character き (ki) looks different on Wikipedia and in CAPTCHAs:

Are there any other problem characters besides ki? Any other things that caused you to fail that you later figured out? (or that you didn't; maybe I can help!) The more information I have, the more thorough the video guide can be.

Thanks in advance, people.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 24, 2013, 06:38 PM
き ね わ +^_^+ those three give me issues in the past and I'll still hit refresh on the page if i see them in the captcha, otherwise i don't have much issue getting past the captcha with the lexilogos keyboard+^_^+ I've used Team-viewer now like 10 times helping people setting up accounts, but for every person willin to let you remote in to help, there's 9 paranoid freaks that are scared you'll do something to their computer+^_^+ (damn all you bad eggs haxing and virusing and whatnot)

Jim
Jul 24, 2013, 06:54 PM
き ね わ +^_^+ those three give me issues in the past and I'll still hit refresh on the page if i see them in the captcha, otherwise i don't have much issue getting past the captcha with the lexilogos keyboard+^_^+ I've used Team-viewer now like 10 times helping people setting up accounts, but for every person willin to let you remote in to help, there's 9 paranoid freaks that are scared you'll do something to their computer+^_^+ (damn all you bad eggs haxing and virusing and whatnot)

Yeah, わ and ね cause the same confusion that め and ぬ do, in that they're the exact same character, but one has a loop at the end. Doesn't help that they aren't close together either, so it's really easy to be looking for わ and think you've found it when you notice ね.

I don't know why, but き shows up in the CAPTCHA like this:

Apparently, that's how it's written, but き is the UNICODE version. I'm going to carefully compare the normal and UNICODE versions on Wikipedia to make sure there are no more characters that are different like this. (You can see how a character is normally written by clicking on it in the table on Wikipedia.)

^My knowledge of kana is very limited, so if any of this could be worded better, anyone can feel free to chime in.

Gardios
Jul 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
It's usually connected when printed, but separated when hand-written. Keyword is usually, there are fonts that have them separated and you can write them connected if you want to.

On top of my head other characters like that are さ and ふ.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah, わ and ね cause the same confusion that め and ぬ do, in that they're the exact same character, but one has a loop at the end. Doesn't help that they aren't close together either, so it's really easy to be looking for わ and think you've found it when you notice ね.

I don't know why, but き shows up in the CAPTCHA like this:

Apparently, that's how it's written, but き is the UNICODE version. I'm going to carefully compare the normal and ASCII versions on Wikipedia to make sure there are no more characters that are different like this. (You can see how a character is normally written by clicking on it in the table on Wikipedia.)

^If any of this could be worded better, anyone can feel free to chime in.

la fixed+^_^+ ASCII can and only will support 256 characters, as such, 224 of them are for common roman letters, arabic numbers, punctuation and such, system functions are used be the rest+^_^+ unicode uses double the bits ASCII does, but that allows for like a million+ characters

Jim
Jul 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
It's usually connected when printed, but separated when hand-written. Keyword is usually, there are fonts that have them separated and you can write them connected if you want to.

On top of my head other characters like that are さ and ふ.

Ok, great. I hadn't noticed those two yet, so thank you for making my life that much easier!

la fixed+^_^+ ASCII can and only will support 256 characters, as such, 224 of them are for common roman letters, arabic numbers, punctuation and such, system functions are used be the rest+^_^+ unicode uses double the bits ASCII does, but that allows for like a million+ characters

Ok, fixed. Thanks for the tip!

On another note, Does anyone know how Syklo, Kion, and AIDA pronounce their names? I'll probably need to cite them all at some point, and I don't want to say their names wrong!

Chik'Tikka
Jul 24, 2013, 07:53 PM
Ok, great. I hadn't noticed those two yet, so thank you for making my life that much easier!

Ok, fixed. Thanks for the tip!

On another note, Does anyone know how Syklo, Kion, and AIDA pronounce their names? I'll probably need to cite them all at some point, and I don't want to say their names wrong!

Syklo = Sick-low (i think)

Kion = key-on (i think)

AIDA is ah-EE-dah which is arabic for "reward; present" ("عائدة" Aida in arabic) or Latin for "distinguished; helpful" +^_^+ i want baby girls so I've been looking into girl names that aren't too common+^_^+

Jim
Jul 24, 2013, 08:07 PM
Syklo = Sick-low (i think)

Kion = key-on (i think)

AIDA is ah-EE-dah which is arabic for "reward; present" ("عائدة" Aida in arabic) or Latin for "distinguished; helpful" +^_^+ i want baby girls so I've been looking into girl names that aren't too common+^_^+

Yeah, the way you pronounce AIDA was my first guess as well. For Syklo, I'm stuck between that way and "sai-klo". I was also leaning towards "key-own" for Kion.

But who knows. Hopefully one or all of them will see this thread. I can always PM them if I never figure it out.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 24, 2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah, the way you pronounce AIDA was my first guess as well. For Syklo, I'm stuck between that way and "sai-klo". I was also leaning towards "key-own" for Kion.

But who knows. Hopefully one or all of them will see this thread. I can always PM them if I never figure it out.

well, since i think Kion is Japanese, it's maybe pronounced the same as キオン?? +^_^+

Syklo
Jul 25, 2013, 01:46 AM
:O I'M FAMOUS!
#euphoria

Er, anyway, my name's pronounced Sai-kloh. As in, "Cyclone" but without the nasal consonant at the end.

Just don't make the mistake that 98.4% of people did: pronouncing it as sky-low.

And i'm pretty sure kion's name is pronounced key-on/kii-on.
(For pseudo-phonetic spelling:
Syklo = サイクロ
Kion = キオン)

Jim
Jul 25, 2013, 01:58 AM
:O I'M FAMOUS!
#euphoria

Er, anyway, my name's pronounced Sai-kloh. As in, "Cyclone" but without the nasal consonant at the end.

Just don't make the mistake that 98.4% of people did: pronouncing it as sky-low.

And i'm pretty sure kion's name is pronounced key-on/kii-on.
(For pseudo-phonetic spelling:
Syklo = サイクロ
Kion = キオン)

Thank you very much! Your work on the CAPTCHA Encyclopedia (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203925) will make this project easier, so I definitely want to give credit where credit it due.

Maronji
Jul 25, 2013, 02:28 AM
AIDA is ah-EE-dah which is arabic for "reward; present" ("عائدة" Aida in arabic) or Latin for "distinguished; helpful" +^_^+

...Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but AIDA's name (AIDA, please correct me if I'm wrong) actually specifically comes from the .hack//G.U. series, standing for Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly (http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/AIDA).

I only know this because AIDA's a .hack fan, if I remember correctly.

Jim
Jul 25, 2013, 02:59 AM
...Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but AIDA's name (AIDA, please correct me if I'm wrong) actually specifically comes from the .hack//G.U. series, standing for Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly (http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/AIDA).

I only know this because AIDA's a .hack fan, if I remember correctly.

Oh, yeah, I saw on AIDA's website that she's a .hack fan, but I've never seen that show. (It's on my to-do list)

I just PM'd her, so we should have an answer soon.