PDA

View Full Version : Fan work appreciation thread. Thank You!

ChaosAngel92
Jul 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
I apologize If I'm spending precious MB writing this, perhaps, useless topic.
But I really wanted to express how thankful I am to everyone that has worked to make PSO2 something playable for people that do not know Japanese.

You see, after PSP2i, my excitement in PSO2 growth exponentially cause I couldn't believe how Sakai turned the garbage that was PSU into something addicting, stylish and awesome.
It was a huge let down, when 1 year passed and I had no news about PSO2 going outside Japan, and I wanted to avoid the JP version because I was eager to feel the experience in a language I could understand.

The thing that allowed me to just go "that's enough, I'm going to PSO2 JP" was the fact I see there was an English patch for the game. Not only the system, but also the story!
I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
But then there was the problem of the registration, problem that was immediately resolved with the easy of a detailed and friendly guide.
Installation and patching? No problem, PSO2 Tweaker has your back!

Without further ado, to AIDA and Arkz Work who made this possible.
To the guys behind Cirnopedia, and Bumped by Ricardo.
To the wonderful community that PSOWorld is, that constantly help everyone in the most respectful world, and to everyone that keeps helping each one of us to make a dream come true:

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Please kill me, I don't know how to make a bigger font)

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
Now where's my item translation patch

Ohohoho

ChaosAngel92
Jul 28, 2013, 03:07 PM
Now where's my item translation patch

Ohohoho

It's faster to learn Katakana.
Seriously, you can read any item (almost any) by knowing what Katakana is all about.
In less than 1 hour, you could be reading any item!

Gama
Jul 28, 2013, 03:25 PM
1 hour?

really?

i must be retarded ;_;

Gardios
Jul 28, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'd like to thank everyone supplying me with Rappy fanwork.

ChaosAngel92
Jul 28, 2013, 03:27 PM
1 hour?

really?

i must be retarded ;_;

Nah, just print a Katakana symbol chart and hang it on next to your computer.
You will be able to learn the symbols in no time.

Reikoku na kuma
Jul 28, 2013, 03:34 PM
I agree. Katakana is easy to learn Hiragana and kanji however...

Gama
Jul 28, 2013, 03:37 PM
mind giving me a good page to print? if you know any, if you dont ill just look for a printer firendly one.

also thread related:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556795_2946761162857_712338727_n.jpg

its a bit old but hey i like doing stuff.

Gardios
Jul 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
Hiragana and Katakana are both easy to learn... if you don't care about stroke order. x:

Zyrusticae
Jul 28, 2013, 03:48 PM
Hiragana and Katakana are indeed quite easy to learn. They're just alternative alphabets with syllables instead of individual letters (although there are a lot of syllables, the actual sounds they comprise are something like a third of what exists in English).

Kanji, on the other hand, requires you to learn hundreds of individual radicals in order to have knowledge of a few thousand kanji, and even then you have to learn the individual pronunciation of each and every single kanji just to be able to pronounce them. Fortunately, once you learn those radicals you can deduce the meaning of loads of kanji just by looking at the radicals, but not being able to pronounce them is a major roadblock IMO (and I would seriously appreciate it if everything on the internet used or gave the option to use furigana, since it takes so little effort nowadays).

It's no surprise that vocabulary-building is a major part of Japanese education, continuing all the way into the high school level.

Evangelion X.XX
Jul 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
I would also like to express my sincere thanks to everyone involved in making PSO2 accessible to English players. I know that you guys must've put in a lot time and effort in making the project the success that it is today. It is your passion, love, dedication, and hard work that made this all possible. Thanks.

MeruAmura
Jul 28, 2013, 07:21 PM
I always thought Hiragana was easier for me.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 28, 2013, 07:37 PM
I make a bad joke and people start talking about learning

Tcrusader51
Jul 28, 2013, 10:58 PM
Hiragana and Katakana are indeed quite easy to learn. They're just alternative alphabets with syllables instead of individual letters (although there are a lot of syllables, the actual sounds they comprise are something like a third of what exists in English).

Kanji, on the other hand, requires you to learn hundreds of individual radicals in order to have knowledge of a few thousand kanji, and even then you have to learn the individual pronunciation of each and every single kanji just to be able to pronounce them. Fortunately, once you learn those radicals you can deduce the meaning of loads of kanji just by looking at the radicals, but not being able to pronounce them is a major roadblock IMO (and I would seriously appreciate it if everything on the internet used or gave the option to use furigana, since it takes so little effort nowadays).

It's no surprise that vocabulary-building is a major part of Japanese education, continuing all the way into the high school level.

Hmm.. I've never took knowledge of the radical thing about kanji even though I only memorize about 25 of them (most being for numbers and dates). I'm going to have to thoroughly read the intro of my book again.

Zyrusticae
Jul 29, 2013, 01:35 AM
Most textbooks aren't going to cover kanji the intelligent way (i.e. introducing you to radicals and then to kanji that use those radicals).

I strongly recommend Kanji Damage (http://kanjidamage.com/).

Kion
Jul 29, 2013, 09:21 AM
Most textbooks aren't going to cover kanji the intelligent way (i.e. introducing you to radicals and then to kanji that use those radicals).

My first textbook for Japanese in high school was Yookoso. It goes over hiragana and katakana in the preface and then gives you kanji along with useful vocabulary you can build through through out the book. Copying over the textbook by hand got me up to JLPT level 3. I definitely recommend it to anyone starting out. Just as a side note, I've seen that a lot of places start with Genki as their first textbook and they never get any progress done for the first year at all, so if you get into a program and that's what they hand you, tell them to go fuck themselves.

Also I'm very impressed to see how far the fan translations have gotten. At this point I really don't see any point of a separate NA release. It would make a lot more sense if they added more ships to the Japanese version, set up a different patch server depending on the language and added a foreign credit card option to the site. I don't see any reason why they should fragment themselves with a different platform entirely.

Random side note: halfway done with MB12.

jooozek
Jul 29, 2013, 09:37 AM
no english patch will make suddenly the community english, nor will it fix the massive latency, neither will memes in the story patch make the story better
anyway, i hate rimming but gotta say, Gardios, goddamn good job on the skill simulator

MeruAmura
Jul 29, 2013, 11:02 AM
If you want I can whip my book back out translate a few key items. I found a guy yesterday who didn't know what a moon atomizer was.