PDA

View Full Version : How ability (dex) work?

Shad0owdruid
Jul 28, 2013, 11:26 PM
Hi everone, i have a question about ability (DEX) i've been trying to figure out what it does exactly and foud out it affect de minimum damage you do. But i dont completely understand it tbh becuz if i have for exemple 350 ability with my fighter does that mean my minimum will be of 350? not sure i ever did 350 damage minimum lol . its still not clear how its work exactly inmy head and i need some explanation. sry if its seem like a noob question and ty for all answer!

Skye-Fox713
Jul 28, 2013, 11:40 PM
its based on your weapon and will increase you base damage by some calculated percentage.

Shad0owdruid
Jul 29, 2013, 12:11 AM
its based on your weapon and will increase you base damage by some calculated percentage. would like more detailled explaination if possible :)

Skye-Fox713
Jul 29, 2013, 12:20 AM
would like more detailled explaination if possible :)

can't help ya, i only know the general not the specifics

MetalDude
Jul 29, 2013, 01:05 AM
Say you deal between 70-100 damage with an attack. Dex/Abil will raise the bottom line up so you'd be seeing more consistent numbers like 80-100. It's not a direct increase to your maximum damage but rather a stabilizer.

Syklo
Jul 29, 2013, 01:25 AM
No one knows the exact formulas (or maybe someone does, but I'm not aware of it),

but the general rule of thumb is: 5points of stat = 1 point in damage.
Dex affects the minimum damage dealt in your damage range, by boosting it as such, and it applies to ALL damage types.
Apparently it's also affected in relation to your target enemy's DEX/ABL, but idk about that.

Zyrusticae
Jul 29, 2013, 01:32 AM
Dex uses some hidden formula that checks your dex against the enemy's dex, and uses that to determine the damage variance. In other words, the higher your dex than your enemy's, the less damage variation you will see.

Conversely, the opposite is true - the higher your dex than your enemy's, the greater their damage variance when they're attacking you. It's sort of a compromised version of ATA/EVP rolled into a single stat. So there's never really a point where you can have too much Dex, as the damage variance from enemy attacks will simply keep increasing (but there IS a point where you stop seeing your own damage variance decrease any further).

Zipzo
Jul 29, 2013, 03:33 AM
No one knows the exact formulas (or maybe someone does, but I'm not aware of it),

but the general rule of thumb is: 5points of stat = 1 point in damage.
Dex affects the minimum damage dealt in your damage range, by boosting it as such, and it applies to ALL damage types.
Apparently it's also affected in relation to your target enemy's DEX/ABL, but idk about that.

It has been experimented to a great to degree and postulated that 1 ability is very close if not equal to ~1 point of S-ATT or R-ATT. There's some great experimentation and documented study on it in the PSO2 wiki pages (though it can be difficult for you if you can't understand arithmetic/mechanics talk in Japanese).

Essentially it just a lot of repeated tests at varying levels of ability on X mob, compared to the same variance in damage by increasing your S-ATT or R-ATT, and the differences observed have been seen to be about identical in terms of DPS increase, because in all technicality, a 1 damage raise in your floor variance, is just the same a damage increase as a 1 damage raise on your ceiling variance. To put it blatantly, ability is basically S-ATT and R-ATT at the same time, except it works from the bottom up instead of pushing the top higher. It doesn't even discriminate based on the PA or weapon you are using! The existence of variance in and of itself allows this stat to be useful to just as much if not a greater degree than S/R-ATT (especially in the case of Braver).

This means exactly what you think I mean. Ability can be, and always has been a good DPS stat, but people haven't really been giving it any attention until the Braver released, and to be honest it's understandable...barely any of the best weapons use it as a requirement and people like big numbers.

Dex uses some hidden formula that checks your dex against the enemy's dex, and uses that to determine the damage variance. In other words, the higher your dex than your enemy's, the less damage variation you will see.

Conversely, the opposite is true - the higher your dex than your enemy's, the greater their damage variance when they're attacking you. It's sort of a compromised version of ATA/EVP rolled into a single stat. So there's never really a point where you can have too much Dex, as the damage variance from enemy attacks will simply keep increasing (but there IS a point where you stop seeing your own damage variance decrease any further).

I would think that any ability past the point that it becomes half as useful as a point of S-ATT or R-ATT is probably "too much" ability. We also don't know if there's a damage floor variant cap on enemies.

jooozek
Jul 29, 2013, 04:36 AM
what you need to know about dex: it becomes useless when you use a 10* weapon and you are at/above enemies level