PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Where's the timeout feature into PSO2?

moorebounce
Jul 29, 2013, 09:03 AM
This is exactly why Sega needs to put the timeout feature back in the game. These people are taking up server space that other non premium players could be using. By time I posted this there was only premium space left.

I count at least 24 in the first screen alone. Of course it's block 20
[SPOILER-BOX]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/sportsgeist/pso20130729_095130_003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/sportsgeist/pso20130729_100859_005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/sportsgeist/pso20130729_100504_004.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Drifting Fable
Jul 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
Typically because each block serves it's own purpose and there are typically numerous versions of said block to account for the population. I mean we've got about what 8 blocks designated for VH? Those never get close to filling up unless something like Falz happens.

So far as Sega's concerned there's no real reason to take any action. Side's, if anything, that's an opportunity to for Sega to get some potential premium costumers if people want to be on a specific block badly enough.

Kondibon
Jul 29, 2013, 09:12 AM
While I agree, you sure seem bitter about it. You don't HAVE to play on B20.

Ezodagrom
Jul 29, 2013, 09:19 AM
A time-out feature could make things even worse.
I don't remember if PSU had a time-out feature or not, but I remember some people used to leave their characters auto-running against walls while AFK, especially in PSU JP.

jooozek
Jul 29, 2013, 09:22 AM
this whole "party locked to block" business is really idiotic so i'd more than welcome afk kicking

EvilMag
Jul 29, 2013, 09:23 AM
A time-out feature could make things even worse.
I don't remember if PSU had a time-out feature or not, but I remember some people used to leave their characters auto-running against walls while AFK, especially in PSU JP.

Only people who had time out were premium users IIRC. When your premium expired, you got booted off the server.

FacelessRed
Jul 29, 2013, 09:28 AM
I would like to see a time out feature. I play on Ship 01 and its the first one to get completely jam packed during prime time, and all the afkers stop me from even getting a block to do things in. i get stuck on the low level empty blocks ;S

Chdata
Jul 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
I afk in my room ;p

Or a friend's if I don't have a room.

gigawuts
Jul 29, 2013, 10:43 AM
this whole "party locked to block" business is really idiotic so i'd more than welcome afk kicking

This is the real solution.

Give parties either a block range, or completely unrestricted access. Do not tie parties and MPAs to the same server hardware that players in lobbies are using.

NoiseHERO
Jul 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
There've been a couple times where I considered premium just to use the premium space.

Which means they're not gonna change shit if makes having premium more valuable and freemium more annoying.

ReaperTheAbsol
Jul 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
They should have a cross-block play mode where it throws multiple people into the same instance if there's a severe lack of people available, or something else. I dunno.

Z-0
Jul 29, 2013, 10:55 AM
I would fucking love a time-out feature. It's annoying on blocks such as the AQ ones when people log on early just to idle in the block so they always have a space for EQ. It's annoying because people who might actually want to AQ can't get into that block and have to use others, which games I can't specifically search. ;/

Of course that's not a problem right now since nobody is AQ'ing but yeah.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 29, 2013, 01:53 PM
i thought there was one??? every time i go afk for more then a half hour i come back to see a big old 630 on mah screen+^_^+

Macman
Jul 29, 2013, 02:32 PM
Just throw people afk for over an hour into their miniroom. Problem solved.

Darki
Jul 29, 2013, 02:33 PM
It would kick some people, but unfortunately it wouldn't do much good.

No matter what you use to check if there's a player there, it's much easier to figure out ways to get over it. Even if you auto-kick idle people, even if they're auto-running, for example based on client imput, you can just put a hairband around your gamepad or a rubber on top of your "W" key and have it "autorunning" and giving "active" imput. You could also make it so it kicks people who have been repeating the same command all the time, but then anybody can download something like Xpadder, make a macro and fool the game.

And I'm sorry but a popup that makes you gotta confirm that ou're there would just bother active players.

One of the reasons that people AFK for is to keep their room in hot spot blocks, and most of these people wouldn't really care if they gotta leave their chars dancing with a macro in the lobby insteadof just leaveing it logged on.

RedRaz0r
Jul 29, 2013, 03:48 PM
There've been a couple times where I considered premium just to use the premium space.

Which means they're not gonna change shit if makes having premium more valuable and freemium more annoying.

This is 90% of the reason why I personally have premium. I hate having to fight to get into parties when I just want to play the game.

Kitess
Jul 29, 2013, 05:23 PM
I think the better solution would be to remove the party block restriction, also i really want to be able to move my whole party when switching blocks to find a good MPA to join.

RedRaz0r
Jul 29, 2013, 06:33 PM
I think the better solution would be to remove the party block restriction, also i really want to be able to move my whole party when switching blocks to find a good MPA to join.

This would be a great idea. However, that's one more reason for people to NOT buy premium, which as far as Sega is concerned, is a loss of money. And Sega is a business, and this game is a product. I wouldn't count on them doing much to directly lose money.

MoronSonOfBoron
Jul 29, 2013, 07:38 PM
This theorycrafting is all well and good, but in the meantime we should see about christening an "official" second English block.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
I'd love to timed out when waiting for Falz

Emp
Jul 29, 2013, 07:46 PM
I would fucking love a time-out feature. It's annoying on blocks such as the AQ ones when people log on early just to idle in the block so they always have a space for EQ. It's annoying because people who might actually want to AQ can't get into that block and have to use others, which games I can't specifically search. ;/

Of course that's not a problem right now since nobody is AQ'ing but yeah.

Hey, in cases such as when Falz was scheduled each day, idling in the blocks helped. I would just wake up, snag a spot on a good block and go back to bed. Think of it like a first come first serve. If you aint around, tough luck boy.

Also, you dont hv to use specified blocks for tas and aqs. Alot of ppl search for ship wise than block wise.

moorebounce
Jul 29, 2013, 08:26 PM
I'd like to point out that I had JUST come out of a mission and was checking on the prices of ラムダサリザニア when you took that screenshot. I think about 30% of the other people in those screenshots were probably actually there too.

But yeah, a "Are you still there?" window after a bit would be nice. Kick them if they don't respond.

I laughed when I seen your name in there but you can clearly see you aren't AFK.

GreenGod
Jul 29, 2013, 08:28 PM
Typical Block 20... blah!!!

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 30, 2013, 12:09 AM
why not just not go to block 20?

jooozek
Jul 30, 2013, 04:41 AM
Hey, in cases such as when Falz was scheduled each day, idling in the blocks helped. I would just wake up, snag a spot on a good block and go back to bed. Think of it like a first come first serve. If you aint around, tough luck boy.

Also, you dont hv to use specified blocks for tas and aqs. Alot of ppl search for ship wise than block wise.

do you camp 1 week before live events to get a good spot? that's the same kind of mentality which exactly brings up the need of such timeout feature
the game should boot people when they join a block and don't start/join a quest and play (10 minutes for you to start/join a game and 5 minutes after starting/joining after last monster kill for the game to forcibly move you to some other block)

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2013, 05:20 AM
do you camp 1 week before live events to get a good spot? that's the same kind of mentality which exactly brings up the need of such timeout feature
the game should boot people when they join a block and don't start/join a quest and play (10 minutes for you to start/join a game and 5 minutes after starting/joining after last monster kill for the game to forcibly move you to some other block)

I think a better analogy would be claiming you reserved a seat in a restaurant by putting crash-test dummies in the seats... Then putting them back when you leave and claiming it's still reserved for you.

And that sounds really harsh... 10 minutes isn't very long at all, I mean, god forbid someone wants to take the time to try grinding their gear, check the market or get a party together.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 30, 2013, 05:25 AM
I think a better analogy would be claiming you reserved a seat in a restaurant by putting crash-test dummies in the seats... Then putting them back when you leave and claiming it's still reserved for you.

And that sounds really harsh... 10 minutes isn't very long at all, I mean, god forbid someone wants to take the time to try grinding their gear, check the market or get a party together.

yeah, 10 minutes is low, i think 1 hour would be better+^_^+ then a prompt "are you there?" if no input or same prolonged input is detected+^_^+ that would solve 90% of issues since Falz and other EQs are more then an hour apart, also kicking to room/miniroom is better then 630 imo+^_^+

sometimes i like to go afk to collect team chat logs (i'm into logs, shoot me) but i don't want to take up space in b-09 when another could be running+^_^+

jooozek
Jul 30, 2013, 05:26 AM

you know what's really harsh? having premium and still being unable to get on blocks you want because there is people hogging slots like that
it doesn't matter on what block you grind your or check the market but it bloody well does matter on which block you try to get a party together up, if you can't find currently a party in 10 minutes on designated blocks then slot hoggers are a huge reason for it too

Aeris
Jul 30, 2013, 08:33 AM
I see my alt in that first pic when i was sleeping lol, i don't stay there for long after i get up, i go do something else once i do, also the blocks for doing AQs or VH EQ blocks are far worse than B20 during prime time when you want to get on one to get stuff done.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2013, 08:40 AM
All these people talking about timeout features...

Lobbies should be where we hang out and should not be our exclusive gateway to actual games. Games should be accessible from anywhere and have a separate player restriction. Just separate lobbies from MPAs on the server hardware, and transfer the player to the MPA server when they join a game. Put them back in the lobby they were in when they leave the MPA.

The server would then handle joining MPAs purely by player count in the MPA itself. The only way you couldn't get into an MPA is if it was already at 12/12 (or 4/4 for SPAs, I guess).

The only reason you'd want to get into a lobby would then be to talk with the people actually there. No more flocking to block 8 just to reserve a spot in VH falz. Just tag and prioritize the ordered listing of MPAs created in your current block to keep things orderly, but never block joining an MPA because its associated lobby is full.

moorebounce
Jul 30, 2013, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't mind premium players being able to lobby sit forever because they're paying for it. Sega should make that another perk for premium players. Free players need to have the timeout feature. I could live with that.

JoycieC
Jul 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/sportsgeist/pso20130729_095130_003.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

HEY I'VE EARNED MY RIGHT TO IDLE IN THE LOBBY!

But as said before, most of the people were there including myself.
You also have to take into consideration timezones, at that time I see a number of people who were probably in their kitchen, one person I can see I know for a fact was most likely tidying, cooking or doing general chores for a few minutes.

A lot of the people you see sleeping in the lobby are generally very active players in the day of their timezone, hence why they're asleep and idle at the time you play. We don't gain levels by sitting in the lobby 24/7 and I sure as hell didn't reach 60 several times and grind all my equipment without much meseta, I had to TACO and do all sorts of things, so I can say I play a lot, just when nobody's looking. As stated before, there are numerous VH blocks and if you ask me, you're missing very little by not playing on B20, just a bit of "XBOX CONTROLLERS AND KEYBOARDS ARE BETTER THAN PS3 CONTROLLERS" drama that you really shouldn't care for.

Your frustration is fully understandable but there isn't too much you can do unless SEGA includes said feature to kick idles or increase the number of people in a lobby.

Though, let's be REALLY HONEST here, would B20 be the same if you didn't have those regulars who idle in one specific spot every night as if they were a part of the scenery? I know I'd miss them slightly.

moorebounce
Jul 30, 2013, 11:11 AM
Me personally would rather only have people who are actually playing on there. People who aren't for whatever their reason(s) is taking up space for English players who COULD be playing with other English players. Being it's b20 where most English players know that's where English players play.

Wouldn't it be nice to know you can't get into a block because players are actually playing the game verses knowing people are AFKing taking up space?

I try not to go to b20 as much as possible believe me ....even for EQs. I only go to b20 when I want to do tacos and AQs if my team aren't running any atm.

As long as Sega is allowing it I can't really say anything but I was just shocked to see darn near the whole lobby AFKing.

IMO AFKing for an hour or less is cool but if you're AFKing while at work, school or even running the streets if you're unemployed is not cool.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2013, 11:18 AM
That's a good point. What do you think about a 5 hour idle limit? 1 hour is a bit short, someone might be watching TV but still there waiting for such-and-such. 5 hours is enough to run an errand and come back, sure, but if someone's going to bed and just leaving the game on that'll kick them. It's more than enough for someone who's actually there or needs to step out for a bit, but will drop anyone who's out for the day/night.

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2013, 11:23 AM
All these people talking about timeout features...

Lobbies should be where we hang out and should not be our exclusive gateway to actual games. Games should be accessible from anywhere and have a separate player restriction. Just separate lobbies from MPAs on the server hardware, and transfer the player to the MPA server when they join a game. Put them back in the lobby they were in when they leave the MPA.

The server would then handle joining MPAs purely by player count in the MPA itself. The only way you couldn't get into an MPA is if it was already at 12/12 (or 4/4 for SPAs, I guess).

The only reason you'd want to get into a lobby would then be to talk with the people actually there. No more flocking to block 8 just to reserve a spot in VH falz. Just tag and prioritize the ordered listing of MPAs created in your current block to keep things orderly, but never block joining an MPA because its associated lobby is full.I like this idea but it sounds like it would be trouble to implement. ._.

moorebounce
Jul 30, 2013, 11:26 AM
IMO 5 hours is way too long. I could see 2 at the high end. Going to work or school is like 8, 9 hours or more. 5 hours you might as well keep it unlimited. Which at this point is the case.

If it takes you more than 2 hours to cook something and eat (or do anything) then you should log out IMO.

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2013, 11:28 AM
IMO 5 hours is way too long. I could see 2 at the high end. Going to work or school is like 8, 9 hours or more. 5 hours you might as well keep it unlimited. Which at this point is the case.

If it takes you more than 2 hours to cook something and eat (or do anything) then you should log out IMO.

Yeah, 2 or 3 hours sounds reasonable. I've heard some people make the argument "What if something comes up I have to deal with" and to that I say, if something is important enough that you have to drop the game and can't come back you probably have more important stuff to worry about than if you're online or not. ._.

jooozek
Jul 30, 2013, 11:42 AM
go idle in your miniroom if you need to take more than 10 minutes
seriously

strikerhunter
Jul 30, 2013, 12:37 PM
I like this idea but it sounds like it would be trouble to implement. ._.

Actually some MMOs that I know of actually force log players when afking after 30mins. WoW and Lord of the Rings Online are examples that I can think of right now.

All SoJ really need to do is implant a system in which identifies players afking or standing still when not interacting. The only trouble is how much would it cost SoJ to implant this since they did not implant this from the beginning.

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2013, 12:41 PM
Actually some MMOs that I know of actually force log players when afking after 30mins. WoW and Lord of the Rings Online are examples that I can think of right now.

All SoJ really need to do is implant a system in which identifies players afking or standing still when not interacting. The only trouble is how much would it cost SoJ to implant this since they did not implant this from the beginning.

I meant Giga's idea of separating the lobbies from the missions.

strikerhunter
Jul 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
I meant Giga's idea of separating the lobbies from the missions.

Although I would love that (I think anyone would love that idea) I highly doubt SoJ will do it for several reasons.

AgemFrostMage
Jul 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
When I read the title I was ready to disagree but then I see the picture and know what you mean by timeout. Yes, AFK too long should be kicked out until not AFK again like the World of Warcraft.

Ezodagrom
Jul 30, 2013, 04:08 PM
Timeout feature, if they were to add such a feature, I think it should only be active in full blocks (that is, blocks that have the free side full).
There's no reason for such a feature in empty blocks or in the player room.