PDA

View Full Version : Would you watch a Phantasy star anime?

MegaZoneXE
Jul 29, 2013, 11:15 PM
The closest we got was Red Photon Zillion which was co developed by SEGA back in the 80s [Characters from the anime came from a planet called Maris, its where the PSO race suffix "Mar" came from, not to mention Ruby Bullet and Opa Opa.]

...and i guess you can also say, most recent, .hack//Sign since the the writer mentioned playing a lot of PSO when writing .hack.

But there really isnt any direct anime....or even manga. something to tie in with the game.

they would need better writers probably.

yay or nay?

The Walrus
Jul 29, 2013, 11:16 PM
As it is the plot of PSU and PSO2 are pretty animu.

That said I'd give a shot while expecting it to be terrible.

MegaZoneXE
Jul 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
As it is the plot of PSU and PSO2 are pretty animu.

That said I'd give a shot while expecting it to be terrible.

YEs, they are both anime like . But maybe something more stand alone.

Noc Codez
Jul 29, 2013, 11:34 PM
I would watch it .. :)

yoshiblue
Jul 29, 2013, 11:34 PM
An anime starring Millio and Cyan would be interesting. All grown up and taking on the world.

vantwan123
Jul 29, 2013, 11:36 PM
Only if they make Falz a kawaii uguu~ princess with twintails and is voiced by Kugimiya Rie.

Punisher106
Jul 29, 2013, 11:41 PM
Make it about a person who's new to it or whatever, and is likable. It better not go in the way of PSU where the real protagonist was spit on for two episodes.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 29, 2013, 11:44 PM
Fanservice the hell out of Falz and I'd watch it

Shirai
Jul 29, 2013, 11:48 PM
if it was a PSO2 anime, i'd watch it for Theodor...when he goes psycho.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 29, 2013, 11:56 PM
Theodores psycho mode too generic for me

Chik'Tikka
Jul 29, 2013, 11:56 PM
if they do something with a lot of story and dialogue+^_^+ maybe like .hack//signs or GitS+^_^+ and have at least one 10 minute scene of Lisa going ham on some poor creature+^_^+

Zyrusticae
Jul 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
If they did do it, they should cover the period 40 years ago during the battle against Dark Falz, and then The Incident that occurred 10 years ago. It'd be a great way to fill in a gap in our knowledge while letting the writers mess around with established characters (since they can change a LOT in 40 or 10 years).

Shirai
Jul 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
Theodores psycho mode too generic for me

his VA makes it better though :(

strikerhunter
Jul 30, 2013, 12:55 AM
I would watch a PS anime only if it is funny as hell and a story filler, something like a prequel to the series/games.

Skye-Fox713
Jul 30, 2013, 01:06 AM
yes I would watch

エース
Jul 30, 2013, 01:30 AM
>Yes, About A young protagonist Hunter
Not about an old battle worn Ranger veteran who is not a hero, you are doing it wrong!

EvilMag
Jul 30, 2013, 01:43 AM
I already did watch a Phantasy star anime. It's called Phantasy Star Zero.

AlaskanKactus
Jul 30, 2013, 01:50 AM
I would definitely watch it, even if it was a typical shonen anime lol

FacelessRed
Jul 30, 2013, 01:55 AM
PSo's story direction isn't serious enough for my taste. it would be terrible generic anime plot with fancy futuristic settings. I'll pass.

Mekhana
Jul 30, 2013, 01:58 AM
I'd watch it but it would need minimal romance or drama at all. Also no teenagers please. Have guys in their mid 20s.

Honestly I'd prefer if the protagonists were real world friends and suddenly one day they woke up leading completely normal lives as ARKS members as if they had completely forgotten about their real world selves.

Down the line, the anime ends with an epic galaxy shattering confrontation with Dark Falz. When the fleet finally triumphs the main character suddenly wakes up and has to get ready for work. He drives off, dismissing the whole thing as a dream. Was it?

Also the last minute the anime ends with the main character working and meeting a female customer that looked exactly like the Force character that fought alongside himself and his friends the whole adventure. Minus the Newman ears of course.

Evangelion X.XX
Jul 30, 2013, 02:18 AM
I'd watch it if the tone of the anime was semi-serious to serious and the story is deep..... maybe like Cowboy Bebop-ish in away.... since Client Orders are somewhat like bounties. Client Orders can be represented by episodes in the anime.

I just hope that the young protagonist Hunter isn't some high school kid with an energetic cute childhood friend that wakes him up everyday to go to school on Ship 2. All the students in this High School are training to repel the Evil Falz that wants to take over the universe for no apparent reason other than because he feels like it and he's evil. The protagonist's best friend is always jealous of him because he get's all the attention of cute girls around him... especially big breasted ones. Of course, the protagonist, being the nice guy that he is, can't help but attract the girls, although he is oblvious as hell, to their advances. Also, the childhood friend is secretly in love with him too.... While the protagonist is doing Client Orders as part of his training with other girls..... he always have accidents and falls over them in sexually suggested ways.... always saying.... "I'm sorry.... it was an accident".... and the girls will always slap him and yell... "Hentai.... Ecchi...."....

*Can it be any more cliche????**.......

Dongra
Jul 30, 2013, 02:34 AM
If it were PSO or the old Genesis games made into an anime I'd give them a shot, but anything beyond that point would probably be too generic animu for me.

Kilich
Jul 30, 2013, 04:40 AM
I'd watch it, since it has plenty good stories.
Phantasy 1-4 would be good.
Distant prequel that showed the civil war between PD and Great Light.
About PSO2 Oracle fleet before they met Darkers and how they struggled to reverse engineer them and develop weapons after.
Don't know about current PSO2, since how will they choose the protagonist? There are a million of them, all unique.

jooozek
Jul 30, 2013, 04:45 AM
i'd watch only if it was a story about how doodoo built up his way with his scumy ways through his life with in the end attaining a legally working rip-off service like the one in the game

ざわ。。。ざわ。。。ざわ。。。

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2013, 08:54 AM
PSO1: Yes, I'm interested in that story, and the main characters' personalities aren't comparable to using a cheese grater on my face
PSO2: no, I'd rather watch more naruto (I don't want to watch more naruto)

edit: realistically though I have a lot of free time so I probably would anyway

Niris
Jul 30, 2013, 10:04 AM
Taro Iwashiro should compose the OST.

moorebounce
Jul 30, 2013, 10:12 AM
If it could turn out to be this bad ass I would watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs

Jaqlou Swig KING
Jul 30, 2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but only if I was the lead. Make this as Seinen as possible.

Arkanoid
Jul 30, 2013, 12:40 PM
The closest we got was Red Photon Zillion which was co developed by SEGA back in the 80s [Characters from the anime came from a planet called Maris, its where the PSO race suffix "Mar" came from, not to mention Ruby Bullet and Opa Opa.]

Well Opa-Opa appears on the show, but is originally from the game Fantasy Zone from the year before. Even though it would never happen today I would love a PS anime with a similar visual style as Zillion and...

If it were PSO or the old Genesis games made into an anime I'd give them a shot, but anything beyond that point would probably be too generic animu for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

AgemFrostMage
Jul 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
The only anime that has legitimate RPG elements is Dragon Ball Z (higher powerlevel, more powerful monsters, etc.) and all its games are fighting :D Final Fantasy movie doesn't deserve the name, etc.

I'd like a Phantasy Star anime especially if they write in the DBZ elements to go with it so it doesn't get too different from the games.

Alucard V
Jul 30, 2013, 01:30 PM
It would depend on the writing and what they did with the old Genesis lore, the universe it takes place in. Because as well as it plays Phantasy Star has been in cirlcles sense of story telling.

It be nice to get the origins of the races, a true back story on Dark Falz and the Prfound Darkness, and a Antagonist that fits in with it all.

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah I don't think you could do SAO with PSO2. it'd give viewers unrealistic expectations for the actual game. unless it was a slice of life thing and the game just brought a group of friends together through hijinx, romance and drama.

A more "serious" toned (like I dunno naruto level "serious" ) anime about a noob hunter or ranger kid growing up to be cool with phantasy star's setting would interest me. Even if it was generic as fuck it just has to be watchable.

Or something like the first episode of suiseinogargantia even. (All the sci-fi heavy parts in that anime felt similar to Phantasy star series.)

Or they would just make a fanservice overdose OVA about all the PSO2 characters having some giant event/party = all the female characters in bikinis for 40 minutes straight and lisa "UP TO NO GOOD THAT WACKY FAN FAVORITE YANDERE BITCH HAHAHA 8D" and Echo or that loli you rescue in chapter 1 walking into the sunset saying "today was a good day n_n /reminisces." And braincells will be lost watching it.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
PSO2 anime takes the idea of a fanservice episode and makes every episode a fanservice episode

Except one

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2013, 01:43 PM
a pso2 anime would need to basically need to be gantz to be interesting to anyone

gantz spoilers i guess

gratuitous violence, gore, blood, profanity, boobs, main character deaths, and a few actual sex scenes, then since the original story is being written too slow the show's writers make shit up and it just ends really stupidly

strikerhunter
Jul 30, 2013, 01:46 PM
gratuitous violence, gore, blood, profanity, boobs, main character deaths, and a few actual sex scenes, then since the original story is being written too slow the show's writers make shit up and it just ends really stupidly

Why does this reminds me of another anime I had seen before? =_=

Just give us something close to an epic journey with drama, fights, love story, and something I don't know and then I'll watch it.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2013, 01:47 PM
the part where the main character uses the suit's extra strength to jump into a 6 story tall buddha's head, headshotting it like a human bullet, was fucking amazing though

NoiseHERO
Jul 30, 2013, 01:53 PM
Why does this reminds me of another anime I had seen before? =_=

Just give us something close to an epic journey with drama, fights, love story, and something I don't know and then I'll watch it.

There's plenty of anime that sell on gore and sex overdose.

There's also plenty of animes/mangas where the character ISN'T prepubescent or afraid to hold a girls hand and he never kisses her until the last episode.

Welcome the world of "Seinen" where everything is cooler, if you don't mind a couple of characters getting raped.

Touka
Jul 30, 2013, 03:08 PM
I vote no because much like movies anything game related usually doesn't translate well in a anime(anyone remember Devil May Cry?).

jooozek
Jul 30, 2013, 03:20 PM
I vote no because much like movies anything game related usually doesn't translate well in a anime(anyone remember Devil May Cry?).
that wasn't as bad as say, fate/stay night or tsukihime

Shinamori
Jul 30, 2013, 05:18 PM
If they did do it, they should cover the period 40 years ago during the battle against Dark Falz, and then The Incident that occurred 10 years ago. It'd be a great way to fill in a gap in our knowledge while letting the writers mess around with established characters (since they can change a LOT in 40 or 10 years).

Sounds something that should be an OVA.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2013, 09:10 PM
Why does a PSO anime have to cover the over arching mega-plex story of the universe?

I don't see a reason the story can't simply revolve around a lone hunter (male or female) who's new to the hunters guild, spring in their step, makes a few character friends, then soon finds out being a hunter can be brutal through the loss of close ones exploring planets he knows nothing about.

Something that, despite the sci-fi setting, can still hit home a little bit on the feels. I think a PSO anime would flourish with that objective in mind.

If they go for the whole shebang and have the hero match wits with the end-all dark falz in a battle for the existence of the universe because they are the "chosen one" then things just get too trope-ey and then people pick it apart for plot holes and shit like that. It passively gives a sense of scale when the main character is "just another" hunter. It lets you watch the show vicariously through their eyes. Of course they can get grazed by Dark Falz in a fight at some point to see the true horror of the enemy they're up against. You'd just have to keep it simple. This would keep Dark Falz as an ominous, dark and looming presence over the show, so while you don't see him constantly, you know that somewhere out there, this big giant thing of evil is constantly causing turmoil...

It might just be a personal preference but I tend to prefer smaller scale stories that are character-driven that let you get in to the characters instead of worrying too much about the universe imploding. We've all seen that a million times.

ShinMaruku
Jul 30, 2013, 09:23 PM
Only if it's ecchi. #Kappa

Magus_84
Jul 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
Get Xaeris to write it.

...I'm throwing my money at the screen and nothing's happening.

:(

Touka
Jul 30, 2013, 09:56 PM

Don't think either of those are good examples since they were from visual novels,a ton of stuff was cut from both series.And I literally watched one ep of DMC and dropped it,why?Because of that loli.

I wanted CRAZYZEE not no stinking loli.

Freshellent
Jul 30, 2013, 09:56 PM
I feel like the better route for this sort of show would be to make it not focus on any one particular character for too long, just do a series of one shot episodes focusing on different aspects of the series. We can do the first episode about a younger male Hunter, but do the next one a Newman gunner facing an entirely different type of conflict.

Day to day life for a CAST, what separates Forces from other classes. Even just ARKS training in general. Don't make it about the characters but the setting, which is what the series strong point is.

Just thinking about it, it would actually be a pretty badass machinima if I could get enough people and writers together about it. Still a lot of work though, and it would be very dialogue heavy, not something a lot of people would be interested in I think.

Anime tie-ins are rarely any good. I think it would largely depend on the studio. Although lately there's a lot of anime that's impressed me.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2013, 10:02 PM
I feel like the better route for this sort of show would be to make it not focus on any one particular character for too long, just do a series of one shot episodes focusing on different aspects of the series. We can do the first episode about a younger male Hunter, but do the next one a Newman gunner facing an entirely different type of conflict.

I actually think is a great idea. Like what I said, but each episode could have its own character with a personal conflict related to being a hunter, and all the episodes, although unrelated, are part of the greater overall story that is being a hunter on P2 (or even being a civilian). We could slowly piece together the background story just by the experiences of all these various "main" characters.

I actually think that format would resonate incredibly well with the PSO universe.

You mentioned machinima? Do you make videos? A project like that sounds like an amazing idea! I think the most difficult part would honestly be animators. The kind of quality people would expect from such a project would require some talented ones in my opinion.

Freshellent
Jul 30, 2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I'd like little off-shoots too to break up the seriousness of it all. Namely, we could explain where the fuck rappies go when they run. Or come from, for that matter. Why they dress up, that sort of thing.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I'd like little off-shoots too to break up the seriousness of it all. Namely, we could explain where the fuck rappies go when they run. Or come from, for that matter. Why they dress up, that sort of thing.

I think little ~5-10 minute bits would work incredibly well for short, character driven stories in the PSO world (would be tough to fit in a complete story but great stories are told all the time in 5 minutes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhoYLp8CtXI

This video is something that, off the top of my head in the moment, is an incredible story in just 7 or so minutes. It's definitely possible.

gigawuts
Jul 30, 2013, 10:18 PM
i want a gritty bsg-style live action ps show

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2013, 10:27 PM
I have to truly ask, is there anybody who would truly be interested in starting such a project? I don't know, it just feels like such a great opportunity with such potential.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/858a594ec138e77afcbfeac68c400b52/tumblr_mhs31rHuhZ1rrx8wzo1_500.gif

BIG OLAF
Jul 30, 2013, 10:37 PM
Nope, wouldn't watch it.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2013, 10:44 PM
Nope, wouldn't watch it.

Yea you would.

BIG OLAF
Jul 30, 2013, 10:50 PM
Yea you would.

oh ok ty

Light dragon
Jul 30, 2013, 10:58 PM

I'm actually glad I haven't watched them (Does UBW movie count?) although curiosity does get me at times.

I probably would watch it...probably.

Puppet_Papaya
Jul 30, 2013, 11:12 PM
If it were based on PSO1 and produced in the 90s, then, yes.
Yes, I know, this scenario would indeed require some time travel. IT WOULD BE WORTH IT.

Freshellent
Jul 30, 2013, 11:15 PM
@Zip

Depends. Having done quite a few projects like that myself, I'm fully aware of how much work it is. Really depends on the people and time. People is easy(er) to get, time is not so much.

We have a lot available to us as players, but it's still a lot of time needed. Something to consider. I'll make a thread later.

Zipzo
Jul 30, 2013, 11:19 PM
@Zip

Depends. Having done quite a few projects like that myself, I'm fully aware of how much work it is. Really depends on the people and time. People is easy(er) to get, time is not so much.

We have a lot available to us as players, but it's still a lot of time needed. Something to consider. I'll make a thread later.

I've also been involved with machinima projects myself so I'm highly interested in such a thing. I'd totally be with you on that project (Voice Acting/story boarding/writing/cinematography being my forte).

Myriarch
Jul 31, 2013, 12:14 AM
I don't want to think he's dead yet but, i'd watch if zeno was the main protagonist and it takes place after Matter Board 8. where we see what happens to zeno in the time he goes missing. He awakes to find he's been teleported to the frozen mountains of Naberius, with none of his communication technology working. He is being lead by a strange voice and telling him to go in to go forward, but he is hungry and slowly descending into insanity and frost bite. as he walks add occasional flashbacks of of how he met the others like Echo, Gettemhart and Dudu.

Touka
Jul 31, 2013, 12:26 AM
To be honest if Sega REALLY wanted to make a anime of PSO 2 they've got the voice cast down easily.A majority of them are A list seiyuu.What the anime would be about is up in the air.

On a sidenote what animation studio would you like to see used?I'd vote for Brains Base.

Zipzo
Jul 31, 2013, 12:44 AM
To be honest if Sega REALLY wanted to make a anime of PSO 2 they've got the voice cast down easily.A majority of them are A list seiyuu.What the anime would be about is up in the air.

On a sidenote what animation studio would you like to see used?I'd vote for Brains Base.

KyoAni or Production I.G. would easily make this a good anime no matter what the hell the story was.

ChaosAngel92
Jul 31, 2013, 12:51 AM
Not if SEGA is behind the story.
Unless its PSO story, I wouldn't watch it.
PSU was cheesy as hell, and PSO2...I'm still not attached to it.