PDA

View Full Version : is this for real?

divine53
Jul 31, 2013, 10:28 AM
someone is saying that he did 248k damage combat finish on falz arm. is it true that you can attain this damage with a 6* weapon with only 503 s atak? and he is 60/50 br/hu.

HIT0SHI
Jul 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
You should these type of questions here:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195866

I think it's possible, but not sure with a 6* weapon.

Z-0
Jul 31, 2013, 10:32 AM
It's possible ya, but not really anything special when bow can do so much more in the timeframe it takes you to build a Combat Finish. :v

Kur0Tensh1
Jul 31, 2013, 10:36 AM
Not only is it doable, it's easy... Maxed weak stance + full damage hunter tree and 50% 6* katana.

Also, if you're doing that much damage EVERY swing of your katana is hitting for 5-6k damage, so one katana combat is probably around 500k+ damage.

divine53
Jul 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
oh and one more thing. sorry if i post a new thread btw. is the charge thing skill in the braver tree useful for katana? i mean sakura and kanran has a charge right?.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 10:46 AM
It's possible ya, but not really anything special when bow can do so much more in the timeframe it takes you to build a Combat Finish. :v

you say it like katanas don't deal damage while building finish

edit: also, OP, here's this

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/PMYamxg.jpg[/spoiler-box]

it wasn't even a crit

in the last super falz I got an 83k crit on a non-WB'd weak point, so just multiply that by 3

I'm 50/60 br/hu without FSU 2 lol

and no, sakura and kanran do not qualify for the charge bonus

Sandmind
Jul 31, 2013, 10:52 AM
oh and one more thing. sorry if i post a new thread btw. is the charge thing skill in the braver tree useful for katana? i mean sakura and kanran has a charge right?.

Those aren't charge skills. They are more of a timed PA if anything, since it keep going back and forth between lower and higher (unlike tech). And the japaneses already confirmed the stances charge up did nothing for those two PA.

vantwan123
Jul 31, 2013, 10:56 AM
248k is easily possible, my max is a bit over 300k with a 50 element 6* katana and this was around level 40ish/60 Br/Hu. It's really all about the points in your skill tree. Full left tree on Hunter and maxing Weak stance + stance up and 5 points in KC Finish is all you need to see those numbers (+ Weak Bullet, of course).

Zyrusticae
Jul 31, 2013, 11:15 AM
Funny thing, With Dark Mastery I & II and Tech Charge Advance I & II, I can easily deal 180k damage against a weak-bulleted Falz Arm with Namegid. However, I have a fully ground and affixed Amaterasu, so these numbers may not be representative of what you can do.

At any rate, it feels like massively huge numbers are the name of the game right now. Between Backhand Smash, Katana Combat, and Namegid, there are just so many ways to put out huge numbers in Episode 2.

gravityvx
Jul 31, 2013, 11:42 AM
you say it like katanas don't deal damage while building finish

edit: also, OP, here's this

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/PMYamxg.jpg[/spoiler-box]

it wasn't even a crit

in the last super falz I got an 83k crit on a non-WB'd weak point, so just multiply that by 3

I'm 50/60 br/hu without FSU 2 lol

and no, sakura and kanran do not qualify for the charge bonus

Any points is combat JA? Still looking for a reason to at least put a point into it, only katana trait in my tree that's blank.

boomboom
Jul 31, 2013, 11:51 AM
Any points is combat JA? Still looking for a reason to at least put a point into it, only katana trait in my tree that's blank.

katana combat makes fight easier, especially against aerial mob and collosall boss where its weak point hard to reach, up to u, or r u just using katana combat just for its combat finish?

Tianren
Jul 31, 2013, 11:55 AM
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but Combat JA works on JA's during Katana Combat, including JA'd Combat Finish.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 12:02 PM
I have everything combat maxed, but never tested damage before putting points into combat JA so I don't know if it boosts combat finish and can't really find out without using one of my 2 remaining alltree resets (which I won't do for just one test). If nobody knows by the time I use my next reset I'll be sure to test it.

gravityvx
Jul 31, 2013, 12:09 PM
I only do around 150k-165k with combat finish with 0/5 combat JA trait & I'm 56 using the 9* with lvl 3 potential. So that's a significant difference in having it and not having it apparently or I'm missing my JAs on finish. But is it worth the 5 points on a skill that's on a basically 70sec CD(if including the CD starts after activating).

MetalDude
Jul 31, 2013, 12:40 PM
Being able to jump to targets, especially for hugging weakpoints like on Zesh or Ragne, is where I find KC most useful. Unfortunately, your PA selection is limited only to those that will keep you in the air so this is where Asagiri would actually be useful. It's not bad for hugging Falz Arms either.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hien and asagiri really shine with katana combat, especially on falz arms. I feel like something like orchestra is needed too, though.

I'm a bit miffed that katanas are basically better daggers in every way that matters for those 20 seconds, but that says more about daggers than it does katanas.

MetalDude
Jul 31, 2013, 12:55 PM
It's also because katanas actually have ground options. T. Daggers become almost unusable if you're attacking on the ground, but you also have zero mobility in the air outside of RW which you can't afford to be using every single time something moves two feet away from you. Blood Sarabande cleans up both the power and range issue and puts into one neat, awesome-looking PA, but I still think that T. Daggers inability to move in the air is going to plague it even after the buff; it is, after all, a functionality issue.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 12:59 PM
Yup. Dagger damage isn't bad when you're hitting things, dagger's damage is bad when you struggle to hit things. If dagger gear give you short versions of homing dashes that katana combat does, that increased in distance between attacks with more gear, we'd be onto something great for daggers.

Zyrusticae
Jul 31, 2013, 01:22 PM
Dagger gear giving katana combat-like range closing would be the one thing that makes daggers from an annoying-as-fuck weapon to one of the greatest things ever.

Which is why it boggles me that the only thing they're doing is upping the damage. Like, really?

Xaelouse
Jul 31, 2013, 04:30 PM
I did 342k. It's really not that special

Crevox
Jul 31, 2013, 04:52 PM
Dagger gear giving katana combat-like range closing would be the one thing that makes daggers from an annoying-as-fuck weapon to one of the greatest things ever.

Which is why it boggles me that the only thing they're doing is upping the damage. Like, really?

Because some weapons actually take skill to use.

At least SEGA understands that everything shouldn't be braindead easy.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 04:54 PM
No, Sega does not understand that. Sega understands that it's easier to tweak a damage modifier than it is to rework hitboxes.

Look at Grapple Charge. They upped that damage at 11+. Players still whined. Only after like a year of people saying it needed work (along with tons of other moves which are unchanged, granted) did they change it at all. Of course, it still teleports enemies if the terrain is uneven, so they didn't actually fix the problem at all.

LinkKD
Jul 31, 2013, 08:36 PM
Huh...I don't find daggers that clunky really, especially with the new PA it just got.

I actually usually feel more comfortable with using daggers than any other weapon, lol. Ofc it's not easy to clear multiple mobs with it...but that's not what it's meant for anyway.

And I personally prefer having raging waltz over katana combat <_> I just cant control katana combat very well yet. Sometimes attacks dont make me go homing, sometimes they do, I can't really control the height I go to when I do go to the target, the constant moving around makes me lose JAs too and etc.

I guess I just have to get used to it, but at least for now, I find raging waltz a lot more accurate and controlled for sticking with targets, and as long as I do a couple normal attacks here and there between the raging waltzes, I dont usually have PP problems with it at all.

Crevox
Jul 31, 2013, 08:46 PM
No, Sega does not understand that. Sega understands that it's easier to tweak a damage modifier than it is to rework hitboxes.

Look at Grapple Charge. They upped that damage at 11+. Players still whined. Only after like a year of people saying it needed work (along with tons of other moves which are unchanged, granted) did they change it at all. Of course, it still teleports enemies if the terrain is uneven, so they didn't actually fix the problem at all.

Completely unrelated, really.

Personally, I have no issues with dagger "hitboxes." In all reality all they needed was a damage increase in my opinion, and it's getting it (and they're upping the gear, not base damage/PA damage, which means skillful play and dedicated players to the weapon are rewarded even more). If you have issues dealing consistent damage and/or feel like you need a katana combat mechanic, you're not doing it right.

I'm not saying SEGA balance is anywhere close to perfect, but this is the step in the right direction, and making daggers loleasymode is not the right way to go.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 08:48 PM
I just can't see how giving everything faceroll damage at all resolves anything, but then I also find the concept of losing your gear completely if you touch the ground to be pretty terrible too.

Crevox
Jul 31, 2013, 08:50 PM
I just can't see how giving everything faceroll damage at all resolves anything, but then I also find the concept of losing your gear completely if you touch the ground to be pretty terrible too.

Everything should not have faceroll damage, and that's exactly why they didn't make the weapon any easier to use. The only thing they upped was the gear damage, which fits this exactly right. If you're good with daggers, then congratulations, you get a free damage buff; if you're not, then this update probably won't benefit you much at all, and you need to either figure it out/practice or choose a different weapon.

If you have a problem with losing your gear when you touch the ground, you also aren't doing it right here either. Not only is it extremely easy to max out gear in the air in a very small amount of time (1 second or less) but staying in the air is pretty easy too. Different bosses may be harder or easier, and/or require different artes even, but if you know what you're doing, then daggers function just fine.

The game design answer to someone not being able to play it properly is not a buff to make it easy mode, but the player actually trying to figure it out.

Ryock
Jul 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
Huh...I don't find daggers that clunky really, especially with the new PA it just got.

I actually usually feel more comfortable with using daggers than any other weapon, lol. Ofc it's not easy to clear multiple mobs with it...but that's not what it's meant for anyway.

And I personally prefer having raging waltz over katana combat <_> I just cant control katana combat very well yet. Sometimes attacks dont make me go homing, sometimes they do, I can't really control the height I go to when I do go to the target, the constant moving around makes me lose JAs too and etc.

I guess I just have to get used to it, but at least for now, I find raging waltz a lot more accurate and controlled for sticking with targets, and as long as I do a couple normal attacks here and there between the raging waltzes, I dont usually have PP problems with it at all.

I don't find daggers clunky either. The only thing that kinda bothers me in some ways is the step attack. Double saber has a very good, comfortable step attack, where you can direct it as it comes out. If daggers didn't have such a straightforward dash with their step attack, I'd probably use them more. The daggers have been seeing more use though since those big birds came out.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 09:15 PM
Everything should not have faceroll damage, and that's exactly why they didn't make the weapon any easier to use. The only thing they upped was the gear damage, which fits this exactly right. If you're good with daggers, then congratulations, you get a free damage buff; if you're not, then this update probably won't benefit you much at all, and you need to either figure it out/practice or choose a different weapon.

If you have a problem with losing your gear when you touch the ground, you also aren't doing it right here either. Not only is it extremely easy to max out gear in the air in a very small amount of time (1 second or less) but staying in the air is pretty easy too. Different bosses may be harder or easier, and/or require different artes even, but if you know what you're doing, then daggers function just fine.

The game design answer to someone not being able to play it properly is not a buff to make it easy mode, but the player actually trying to figure it out.

I don't have a problem with maintaining gear - I have a problem with the entire implementation of the weapon. The whole execution is bad. It's a dumb idea to create a weapon that focuses on aerial combat with such restricted aerial movement (mainly done via homing moves that will ineffectively send you on an angle towards the ground if something is even slightly out of its maximum range) with such low PP recovery on normal attacks. Gear building being "easy" to build (I would call it "tedious," or "a chore" before "easy," since it only increases when you do individual leaps which are very arbitrarily given to different moves) does not mitigate the flawed nature of the weapons, and neither does "skillful play," whatever it is that even means these days.

Using something despite its flaws might make you skilled, sure. But requiring skill does not make it good design.

I was using daggers effectively and properly very early on after fighter was released. I was also defending them as capable weapons from the kneejerk da-da-da mouthbreathers, but a weapon being capable does not mean it's of good, sound design. It just means it's able to put numbers on your screen because they gave it big enough numbers in the database.

So, no. It's not completely unrelated. The flaw of daggers is the entire implementation. Daggers being for aerial combat? Sure, that's great. How they set them up? No, not so much.

MetalDude
Jul 31, 2013, 09:16 PM
It's not about T. Daggers being difficult to use because they're technical, it's because they have dumb flaws like their poor mobility on the ground and in the air. They have decent range in the air, they just can't chase worth shit outside of their one PA. Claiming incompetence on the part of Katana Combat undermines the fact that, when controlled properly, it functions as a much better T. Dagger. If a target moves too much, it's hard to warrant using T. Daggers when there are way better options available *cough*DS*cough*.

EDIT: Or what gigawuts said, basically. Numbers aren't going to magically fix their poor implementation.

Crevox
Jul 31, 2013, 09:26 PM
I don't have a problem with maintaining gear - I have a problem with the entire implementation of the weapon. The whole execution is bad. It's a dumb idea to create a weapon that focuses on aerial combat with such restricted aerial movement (mainly done via homing moves that will ineffectively send you on an angle towards the ground if something is even slightly out of its maximum range) with such low PP recovery on normal attacks. Gear building being "easy" to build (I would call it "tedious," or "a chore" before "easy," since it only increases when you do individual leaps which are very arbitrarily given to different moves) does not mitigate the flawed nature of the weapons, and neither does "skillful play," whatever it is that even means these days.

The aerial movement may be restricted, but it's manageable if you're good. You have quite a few options with the PAs they offer, and the tools offered by daggers (shift, no descent, air dash, etc).

Gear building isn't even really a thing most of the time. You could do it naturally (through PAs) or just shift-attack resets to instantly max it. Proper timing is required to use the shift key properly without losing altitude and such, but it's perfectly fine. Skillful play means being able to properly use the weapon and maintain the gear to inflict maximum damage, which is totally possible, even on enemies that remain grounded and/or are small.

Using something despite its flaws might make you skilled, sure. But requiring skill does not make it good design.

Every weapon has pros and cons. It's not a "flaw" if you cannot deal with it. If you can't deal with it enough to deal a good amount of damage, then your strategy is the "flaw" or you're not skilled enough in execution to be able to make the rapid decisions required and timing. Different bosses require different strategies and execution, along with various other factors, but either way you can make it work. I personally had no issues using daggers as my only fighter weapon.

It sounds more like you personally just don't like the playstyle, and if you don't, then you're not the person that should be using them. The issue currently and previously was even if you did play them properly, their damage output was still kind of disappointing. Now they're getting a buff, but are they going to be the next OP or compete with all the other top damage dealers? Probably not, but either way, you shouldn't be playing this game trying to simply be the best damage dealer, because there's always something more OP and that much damage isn't needed anyways. You play what you want to play for the fun of it.

MetalDude
Jul 31, 2013, 09:33 PM
Saying every weapon has its pros and cons blatantly dismisses the fact that some weapons are far better than others. When it becomes obvious that there are better options within another weapon, it means the current weapon is not sufficient or does not serve enough roles to substantiate its use (for the latter, see Wired Lances).

Kondibon
Jul 31, 2013, 09:35 PM
(for the latter, see Wired Lances).

???? Something is better at grappling than Wired Lances!? O_O

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 09:36 PM
The aerial movement may be restricted, but it's manageable if you're good. You have quite a few options with the PAs they offer, and the tools offered by daggers (shift, no descent, air dash, etc).

Gear building isn't even really a thing most of the time. You could do it naturally (through PAs) or just shift-attack resets to instantly max it. Proper timing is required to use the shift key properly without losing altitude and such, but it's perfectly fine. Skillful play means being able to properly use the weapon and maintain the gear to inflict maximum damage, which is totally possible, even on enemies that remain grounded and/or are small.

Every weapon has pros and cons. It's not a "flaw" if you cannot deal with it. If you can't deal with it enough to deal a good amount of damage, then your strategy is the "flaw" or you're not skilled enough in execution to be able to make the rapid decisions required and timing. Different bosses require different strategies and execution, along with various other factors, but either way you can make it work. I personally had no issues using daggers as my only fighter weapon.

It sounds more like you personally just don't like the playstyle, and if you don't, then you're not the person that should be using them. The issue currently and previously was even if you did play them properly, their damage output was still kind of disappointing. Now they're getting a buff, but are they going to be the next OP or compete with all the other top damage dealers? Probably not, but either way, you shouldn't be playing this game trying to simply be the best damage dealer, because there's always something more OP and that much damage isn't needed anyways. You play what you want to play for the fun of it.

You're missing my point and saying "lrn2play" and "if you don't like it don't use it" in an attempted nicer way, which is really what you did before too, leaving me nothing to do but repeat everything I just said that you apparently completely missed. Which I won't do.

MetalDude
Jul 31, 2013, 09:40 PM
???? Something is better at grappling than Wired Lances!? O_O

Err, I suppose not haha. My point was more that their setups are too slow in a party scenario; in solo, they're simply wonderful. You have to be on top of things to really get OS out quickly enough to be effective to the point that swords and partisans do more faster. Wired Lances have their moments against the right bosses though.

Kondibon
Jul 31, 2013, 09:44 PM
Err, I suppose not haha. My point was more that their setups are too slow in a party scenario; in solo, they're simply wonderful. You have to be on top of things to really get OS out quickly enough to be effective to the point that swords and partisans do more faster. Wired Lances have their moments against the right bosses though.

Oh, yeah the aren't so great in parties, so I see what you mean. Wild round kinda evens the playing field but it's range is kinda small compared to most WL PAs.

Crevox
Jul 31, 2013, 10:15 PM
You're missing my point and saying "lrn2play" and "if you don't like it don't use it" in an attempted nicer way, which is really what you did before too, leaving me nothing to do but repeat everything I just said that you apparently completely missed. Which I won't do.

I commented on everything. Your opinion of the weapon simply remains adamant and nothing anyone says can change it.

gigawuts
Jul 31, 2013, 10:16 PM
You'd be surprised, apparently.