PDA

View Full Version : DC animated movies.

Blue-Hawk
Aug 4, 2013, 03:34 PM
For those that like these, this is not for the craptastic live action ones, IE- Man of Steel and the Dark Knight trilogy.

Who here loves some of these?
I just watched the new Justice League Flashpoint Paradox and thought it was one of the best ones they have done to date. I SO can't wait for Justice League War now.

Crisis on two worlds was great as well as Doom and Under the Red Hood.

Anyone else like/dislike these? And if so, please elaborate.

NoiseHERO
Aug 4, 2013, 04:03 PM
I started watching some on netflix.

Last one I saw was Doom was alright, I like how they used the B-list villians that normally get their asses kicked. And How it had cyborg in it. <_<;;

Outrider
Aug 5, 2013, 11:13 AM
I'd say they're pretty disappointing, but I did just watch the Batman: Year One movie last night and it held together surprisingly well. (Most of that was due to Bryan Cranston's great voice work, though.) Doom was okay, I guess. I haven't watched the All-Star Superman movie yet, but maybe I'll put it on when I'm working sometime this week.

I gotta say, though: for anybody on Netflix, skip these movies and go watch Batman Beyond and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. I just finished watching these shows and they hold up surprisingly well. (The Cadmus arc in the second season of JLU is one of the best Justice League stories ever, regardless of medium. It's easily up there with some of the best runs in the comics.)

The other great part about the DC Animated Universe is that it doesn't waste time trying to please whiny man-children with grimdark plots and sexist overtones. I wish I could say the same was true for most mainstream superhero media, but we all know that would be a lie.

The only downside is that they don't have the Batman or Superman series available for streaming.

NoiseHERO
Aug 5, 2013, 11:26 AM
The only downside is that they don't have the Batman or Superman series available for streaming.

This, I haven't seen batman the animated series in a while. And while I do like batman beyond design/concept/character age/setting wise. In general I feel like he's just a cybergoth version of spider-man that can brute force through all his problems.

Last minute back-story spoiler >_>
Also the whole being a clone of bruce wayne thing seemed unnecessary.

Sayara
Aug 5, 2013, 12:47 PM
Just saying though, Under the Red Hood was a spectacular movie; and i wish they use John Dimaggio more often for the Joker.

Outrider
Aug 5, 2013, 01:32 PM
This, I haven't seen batman the animated series in a while. And while I do like batman beyond design/concept/character age/setting wise. In general I feel like he's just a cybergoth version of spider-man that can brute force through all his problems.

Batman Beyond is basically just the best parts of Batman and Spider-Man mashed together and tossed into the future, which is why it's so awesome.

Last minute back-story spoiler >_>
Also the whole being a clone of bruce wayne thing seemed unnecessary.

Nah, it's nothing like that. He's just biologically his son. Which seems a little too on the nose for the themes of Batman Beyond, but as a bookend to the Cadmus stuff from Justice League Unlimited it's pretty great.

Just saying though, Under the Red Hood was a spectacular movie; and i wish they use John Dimaggio more often for the Joker.

I remember watching that one a couple years ago and thinking it was pretty alright. I'll agree that John DiMaggio did a good job with the Joker. Then again, he pretty much does a good job with each of his roles, doesn't he?

Sayara
Aug 5, 2013, 02:12 PM
i Just know its so taboo to ever suggest a joker that isnt mark hamil, but goddamn this instance made him so intimidating.

Blue-Hawk
Aug 5, 2013, 07:58 PM
I'd say they're pretty disappointing, but I did just watch the Batman: Year One movie last night and it held together surprisingly well. (Most of that was due to Bryan Cranston's great voice work, though.) Doom was okay, I guess. I haven't watched the All-Star Superman movie yet, but maybe I'll put it on when I'm working sometime this week.

I gotta say, though: for anybody on Netflix, skip these movies and go watch Batman Beyond and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited. I just finished watching these shows and they hold up surprisingly well. (The Cadmus arc in the second season of JLU is one of the best Justice League stories ever, regardless of medium. It's easily up there with some of the best runs in the comics.)

The other great part about the DC Animated Universe is that it doesn't waste time trying to please whiny man-children with grimdark plots and sexist overtones. I wish I could say the same was true for most mainstream superhero media, but we all know that would be a lie.

All Star Superman was amazing. You have GOT to see it.

Firocket1690
Aug 6, 2013, 12:50 AM
I saw Under the Red Hood, and Gotham Knight, then I look again, and now there's more than a dozen! The animation on these films are choice! How do they keep churning these out so fast?

I've heard many good things about Flashpoint Paradox. If the movies aren't in any particular chronology, I suppose that one's next, then.