PDA

View Full Version : Enemy elements

fay
Aug 6, 2013, 12:45 PM
I hate the way they have done this for this game. In PSU for example they would say the enemy is a dark type so you know to use light. They ran of 6 elements with opposite strengths.
Fire<->Ice,
Lightning<->earth,
Light<-> dark.
In this game they show the weakness of the enemy, which is handy for knowing what to hit with, but I don't really get it when it comes to armor.

I know darkers are dark element so I would use dark armor. But some are weak to wind, fire and electric too. Does that mean they also use ice, electric and wind types of attack? What about oceanids? They have a weakness of ice and fire so what are they? Surely they won't have a strength of the exact elements they have as a weakness. Same goes with everywhere else. It seems like there is no structure of what to use where for defense element.

PokeminMaster
Aug 6, 2013, 01:00 PM
Now, I'm not the best with enemy elements in this game, but I think you can usually tell what an enemy's element is by the attack animation. I also think that many attacks would be neutral, like a weapon with no attribute.

Enemies like the Blumetta have an attack I assume is dark-element, since it causes poison. But they also have an attack of light-element, as that's what the laser beam seems to be. It's also true that they can simply whack you. Some mechs may have electric-element attacks, but their weakness also works as electric in that you can shortcircuit or overcharge them. They can also simply tack you, for what is likely neutral damage. Bal Rodus' laser is probably ice-elemental, but its ramming attack is probably neutral. While many of Vol Dragon's attacks are fire-elemental, a few of them appear to be neutral like the tail swing. Many of the enemies in the Floating Continent appear to use lasers and whatnot of the light element, but they also have a dashing attack that's probably neutral.

With enemies like the Oodan and Za Oodan, their attacks seem to be neutral. The Sil Dinian and Sadinian as well as the Set Sadinian also seem to be neutral in all of their attacks. The Digg and Spardan A only seem capable of neutral attacks as well.

This is only how I think the game handles elements, though. If you look at armor, it's very rare to see anything that gives more than a 3% or 6% resistance, so I don't think it's all too important to focus on an enemy's element. I honestly thing it adds a variation to enemies, with them being able to use attacks of multiple elements.

Dycize
Aug 6, 2013, 01:05 PM
For the most part, all melee attacks are neutral.
Ranged attacks tend to be neutral too (Spargun/Signogun shots etc).
And then you got the tech attacks where the defense really counts. Many of Ragne's attacks are dark (disks, lightning, body splat...), QD's rain of doom and missiles are light, Vol's fireballs are (gasp) fire...
The fact that they deal t-damage is also why they hurt so much (t-def is generally low). Which is why % armor helps a lot against those attacks.
But in the end it's pretty niche, so people prefer their s/r-def.

gigawuts
Aug 6, 2013, 01:32 PM
Building up a good set of units for each element is much too costly for attacks that are generally not very threatening at higher levels anyway, because you can dodge or guard against them due to having such predictable patterns or dead giveaway tells. I wouldn't bother with one specific element - it will not last you long and it will be useless in later areas either due to having such low stats or just being the wrong element. This isn't PSO1 where you slotted in a different resist/blabla for each area, this stuff costs a lot of money to assemble.

Kitoshi
Aug 6, 2013, 01:40 PM
Building up a good set of units for each element is much too costly for attacks that are generally not very threatening at higher levels anyway, because you can dodge or guard against them due to having such predictable patterns or dead giveaway tells. I wouldn't bother with one specific element - it will not last you long and it will be useless in later areas either due to having such low stats or just being the wrong element. This isn't PSO1 where you slotted in a different resist/blabla for each area, this stuff costs a lot of money to assemble.

You forgot dudu rage :D, it costs A LOT of dudu rage as well (if you want all your units to be equally affixed obviously).

fay
Aug 6, 2013, 04:48 PM
Well, at the moment my three armor pieces are ice. I just feel it is horrible. Given the choice, what element do you feel that I should take? Two with dark and one with light maybe?

Dycize
Aug 6, 2013, 04:57 PM
Given the choice, take what gives you the best melee/ranged/tech defense stuff and don't care about elemental defenses.
Which is what we've been trying to say before. Particularly if you count on the armor's natural defenses.

Kondibon
Aug 6, 2013, 05:00 PM
Well, at the moment my three armor pieces are ice. I just feel it is horrible. Given the choice, what element do you feel that I should take? Two with dark and one with light maybe?

What Giga is saying is that you shouldn't even worry about elemental resistances. If you want resistances go for the damage types rather than the elements, like strike or tech resistance.

fay
Aug 6, 2013, 06:40 PM
I already have good defense armor. I'm using the snow banther set. Its really good for my force class. I just thought I could upgrade it in someway by making the elemental % better.

Faylen
Aug 6, 2013, 07:19 PM
I'm building u the lower half of ICE it works nicely with grinds and the right abilities. Feet part is TOO expencive though.

Macman
Aug 7, 2013, 12:37 AM
You can tell what element an attack is by the sound it makes when it hits you.

Elemental/T-def-mitigated attacks:

Fire: Vol Dragon's fireballs, fire pillars, lava spouts in volcano, Vardha's flamethrower turrets
Ice: Malmoth/Yede snowballs, Banther's ice breath, Superfalz's ice attacks
Lightning: Thunderstorm bolts in various fields and... that's about it for now.
Light: Quartz Dragon's laser breath and laser rain, MAYBE Baridran's energy shots
Wind: Umblla's tornado attack
Dark: Dagan spit under control of Breeahda, Breeahda's gunk, Ragne's lightning and shock attacks, Chrome Dragon's beam breath and spike attacks, Dark Falz's lasers and falling hands, Luda Sorcerer's AoE circle attack, Falz Hunar's homing dark pillars

And of course, all attacks done by force/techer clones.

I might be missing some, though.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 7, 2013, 11:35 AM
Just because it is weak to something doesn't make it the best element to use. Other elements like electric or fire have better practical value. Zan is best against the Bal Dominus and Falz arms because the blades hit many things at once and is stable damage but they are weak to fire/ice and electric/light respectively.