PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 is still coming west at some point, according to new SEGA head interview

HandOfThornz
Aug 8, 2013, 07:37 PM
Not sure if this is posted anywhere, but to give us non-JP playing western players some hope:

"and then in Japan we are seeing huge success with Phantasy Star Online 2. Phantasy Star is free-to-play on PC and Vita, and doing very well on Vita in Japan. We will bring that game to the Western market at some point."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/has-sega-s-switch-to-digital-worked/0119859

Take a read though the article too. You start to get a sense of where SEGA's business model is atm and why PSO2 is not out now.

Maybe Pax Prime will give us a PSO2 west update.. finally ;)

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 8, 2013, 07:39 PM
You cannot strike me down with your arrows of lies, SEGA

The Walrus
Aug 8, 2013, 07:42 PM
I'll believe it when it actually releases.

Zyrusticae
Aug 8, 2013, 07:45 PM
LOL OKAY

When it happens

And not a moment sooner

Magus_84
Aug 8, 2013, 07:45 PM
I'll believe it when we're getting Fighter/Techer/Gunner a year after the NA release.

Gardios
Aug 8, 2013, 07:46 PM
I'm still determined that it will come out unlike the vast majority here, but their communication is still god awful.

Doesn't help that this interview still doesn't say anything at all about iPSO2.

Xaeris
Aug 8, 2013, 07:50 PM
Don't listen to Ondore's lies!

scarecrow36
Aug 8, 2013, 07:51 PM
i needed a good laugh today thanks..

~Aya~
Aug 8, 2013, 07:51 PM
Englits!! Unite!!

gigawuts
Aug 8, 2013, 07:54 PM
I'll believe it when it actually releases.

I probably still won't believe it.

~Aya~
Aug 8, 2013, 07:58 PM

It will be troll haven... if I can ever get passed feeling bad or guilty about the attempts at trolling.. then just maybe.. maybe i'll try it out~

I'd need back up for sure~

CelestialBlade
Aug 8, 2013, 08:00 PM
If it does hit our shores, by that point the current community will probably have 100% translated the JP version and there'd be no point throwing away all your progress. The "BUT SUPPORT SOA!!!" people will be a pretty tiny minority when most of them realize the US version will be three years behind JP at this rate.

So are they still calling them "D-arkers"? Eugh.

strikerhunter
Aug 8, 2013, 08:02 PM
All I took from that article is that Sega of America cares about there sonic games more than other games they have or "soon" to be released.

Seriously? 3 more Sonic Games? When is having too much Sonic is enough already?

I still don't see how this is reasonable for NA/EU PSO2 delay in my opinion.
They didn't even mentioned why PSO2 is still delayed or any reasons why it was delayed in the first place.

The "at some point" sounds like they are planning another so called "delay".

gigawuts
Aug 8, 2013, 08:05 PM
All I took from that article is that Sega of America cares about there sonic games more than other games they have or "soon" to be released.

Sonic has to be the one single brand most people see and immediately identify with Sega. I mean, with Nintendo you've got this whole array of titles and characters, but Sega?

There's uh...Sonic...and the yellow fox and the red black dude. Are they in the same games? And then there's uh...

eggman?

Ueno54
Aug 8, 2013, 08:17 PM
If it does hit our shores, by that point the current community will probably have 100% translated the JP version and there'd be no point throwing away all your progress. The "BUT SUPPORT SOA!!!" people will be a pretty tiny minority when most of them realize the US version will be three years behind JP at this rate.

I'd move over just to have easier access to the item mall.

Freshellent
Aug 8, 2013, 08:36 PM
I can't help but laugh, bitterly.

I'm with giga on this, even when it comes out- I still won't believe it. I do want to support them, but nothing short of a Steam release is gonna do anything for this game in NA. It -has- to be on Steam and could use a few NA commercials as well.

The Walrus
Aug 8, 2013, 08:41 PM
They'd probably have to redo the F2P aspects of it. Doubt Dudu would be received well either...

CelestialBlade
Aug 8, 2013, 09:06 PM

I'm with giga on this, even when it comes out- I still won't believe it. I do want to support them, but nothing short of a Steam release is gonna do anything for this game in NA. It -has- to be on Steam and could use a few NA commercials as well.
Dood you had me so fuckin freaked out, I see this new name of yours on the active users list and I'm all "hah, that'd be a name he'd use" and then I see this name with your sig and I'm like whaaaaat the fuck.

Shut up I've been driving all day >_>

In all seriousness, I agree--if this game does come this way, Steam would be the way to go. Sega strikes me as the type to want complete control over things though, so I'd be surprised if it went in that direction. I think there was a pretty large portion of us that would have happily gone over to the US side when they were first talking about a US release, but with the fantastic work of our community providing all kinds of useful patches and the ever-increasing content gap, I have a feeling any US servers that may eventually open would be pretty barren now.

Freshellent
Aug 8, 2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I've been getting some pretty funny reactions, PMs and page comments. I needed to retire the old name as it's less relevant now and I'm getting more attached to this new one as the days pass. There's a few more reasons, too. But whateves.

Yeah, it's kind of a difficult situation right now. There's so much progress on the translations that I don't know how to feel about it. I'm grateful, eitherway!

I'll repeat myself though, I think Steam is the way to go. They have to do it, there's no way around it. They can do cash stuff through them too, release packs. I'll pay 10 bucks for costume packs and whatever if I have to, whatever is fine. Make sales for Premium, etc. Champions didn't do a lot right, but the cashshop was... decent. At times anyway.

Lostbob117
Aug 8, 2013, 09:25 PM
Who cares anymore?

gigawuts
Aug 8, 2013, 09:43 PM
Way more people than you think, apparently.

PSOW is not representative of the entire PS community. It is a hub where a portion of the small, forum-going portion of it comes.

Sega can make a ton of money even if they actively promote us staying on the JP server because, in the end, our numbers are nothing next to the kind that it takes to keep an online game profitable.

Freshellent
Aug 8, 2013, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I actually have a ton of friends that would love to play this. But they refuse to bother with patches and even trying to bother registering on the site. I honestly don't blame them, we're kind of crazy for even doing this much effort.

The trick with the PS series is that it's difficult to really get a feel like it does. It has a very unique take on it, that becomes it's own as the game ages. But I feel a lot of it is cultural to JP. It just doesn't fly over here.

Zenobia
Aug 8, 2013, 09:49 PM
So much bust it aint even funny anymoar.

I would say legit or bust? But don't even deserve that from me.

Scarlet-Star
Aug 8, 2013, 11:16 PM
...Lies, sega doesn't care about us or PSO2

Zipzo
Aug 8, 2013, 11:33 PM
"...at some point."

How does this conglomeration of words give you hope, OP?

Rekku
Aug 8, 2013, 11:46 PM
They didn't have to mention PSO2... so the fact that they chose to talk about its success and whether or not we're getting it eases my pain a little. If they didn't mention the game, that would pretty much confirm cancellation because of how much they're skirting the issues surrounding it, not acknowledging how famous it is and that we know we were promised a game. But they did. They said something. The more they bring it up, the more likely they'll eventually have to give us an ultimatum that ends either in "Here's the release date" or "It's officially cancelled."

Gama
Aug 8, 2013, 11:49 PM

aw yiss

Totori
Aug 9, 2013, 12:07 AM
Yep, acknowledging that the game is there, is always a good sign, but it's not like they would throw this game away anyways, it just takes a long time to bring over. Be patient for once people.

Zipzo
Aug 9, 2013, 12:58 AM
Yep, acknowledging that the game is there, is always a good sign, but it's not like they would throw this game away anyways, it just takes a long time to bring over. Be patient for once people.

How have people not been patient? Nobody has assaulted a SEGA employee or sent bomb threats to SoA headquarters as far as I'm aware...I don't think it's that big of a deal that people are somewhat edgy over, what, a year and a half of absolutely no new information since the game was announced for the USA...?

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 01:08 AM
From the article:

I almost feel like they're subtly explaining why PSO2 will never come to NA

Hahaha! :D

This is why I'm sticking with JP PSO servers from now on. You guys will be done translating everything in the game before they even get the chance to finish the game.

You AND the rest of us. XD

Seriously, I think most of the core English PSO fanbase is playing PSO2 JP right now. As AIDA quoted, there's little reason for SEGA to port the game over to the Americas if there is little demand for games like PSO2 nowadays.

Not to forget to mention how many people are quick to retaliate against free-to-play games like PSO2, despite the fact you don't need to invest in Arks Cash to play and progress the main game and side missions at all.

They were just called the "Dark" in PSO1's NA release (still freaking absurd sounding when used in conversations with NPCs though).

I agree. The minority of people who want to play PSO EN to support the official English release is far, far, FAAAR less than the majority of English-speaking players that play on the PSO2 JP servers.

Though, I think we already know that from one glance at these forums. :P

I call my converting to the JP PSO2 server instead of bothering with an EN one: realizing that the EN one will NEVER outclass the JP one in anything. ESPECIALLY due to fan-made patches.

They didn't even mentioned why PSO2 is still delayed or any reasons why it was delayed in the first place.

Sonic games are huge money-makers for SEGA. Next to Mario and Zelda, it still holds very large amounts of consumer interest from your typical consumer when looking for games to buy.

The "three" Sonic games are also completely exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

1. Sonic: Lost World
2. Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Games 2014
3. ??? - Most likely Sonic Adventure 3. trololololol

To which I say, FALZ DAMNIT! Now I have to buy a Wii U before the end of this year to get Sonic: LU, but I wanted a Nintendo 3DS badly too for the new Zelda. >_<

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy both... :/

I'd move over just to have easier access to the item mall.

Ha...ha...ha?

You do know that the in-game economy would automatically be screwed up out-of-the-gate if drop-rates and special event updates are anything like they proved to be in past EN servers for PSO and PSU...right?

they have those rpgs too, uh... final phantasy or something, i unno. i just wanted sonic unleashed to have a sequel, dont really care about that other game.

Which other one? Colors, Generations, or Lost World?

My favorite 3D Sonic is still Sonic Unleashed. Not sure why so many people hated that game---I found all of the levels addicting to play through. Colors is a close second.

However, I think Lost World will take the cake. It's looking to be the best Sonic yet since the 2D entries, in all honesty. Love those new gameplay mechanics introduced into the game as it gives Sonic more versatility while platforming hardcore parkour-style (which seems to be a thing with SEGA as of late with their major franchises). :D

Way more people than you think, apparently.

PSOW is not representative of the entire PS community. It is a hub where a portion of the small, forum-going portion of it comes.

Sega can make a ton of money even if they actively promote us staying on the JP server because, in the end, our numbers are nothing next to the kind that it takes to keep an online game profitable.

Yup, but you cannot deny the fact that we are also helping to contribute to keeping their servers running and the game profitable in Japan.

The English community of PSO2 just wouldn't be the same size as the one back in the day for PSO because all the players are already on or planning to go on the JP servers.

Yeah, I actually have a ton of friends that would love to play this. But they refuse to bother with patches and even trying to bother registering on the site. I honestly don't blame them, we're kind of crazy for even doing this much effort.

The trick with the PS series is that it's difficult to really get a feel like it does. It has a very unique take on it, that becomes it's own as the game ages. But I feel a lot of it is cultural to JP. It just doesn't fly over here.

Bingo! :D

Honestly, though, I fell in love with Phantasy Star back when Phantasy Star II came out. That was also my first game I ever played, so I think that speaks volumes as to why it's my all-time favorite game franchise. :)

By the time it comes over, it will still have Episode 1 content ONLY with no Fighter, Techer, or Gunner classes. The level cap would be small. Special missions, client orders, limited-time quests, and other events would either be scrapped, completely cut out of the game and never show up, or very poorly implemented. The community would be non-existent compared to JP's server. The game economy would be screwed up due to how notorious EN servers are for not having decent drop-rates as well as their inability to bother updating them. And, on top of all that, by the time the game DOES come out, you'd probably see the EN servers close in less than a few years (I'd give it 2~5 if it does come out). JP will be in Episode 4 before Episode 2 even comes out...so investing in PSO2 EN (while you're free to do whatever you want to, I can't change your opinion) could end up leaving you regretting your purchases made in the game if it never gets the support it needs. PSO2 JP is far more stable and has everything there. It is the DEFINITIVE version of the game, per se.

While you're free, as I mentioned previously, to keep your opinion, you can't deny those facts. We've all been there because we used to be like you and try to support EN PSO and PSU as much as we could...but they never got the support they needed.

I'm glad I finally caved in and got into PSO2 JP. I'm never going back to the EN servers again after experiencing what I have with this amazing JP community. :D

Totori
Aug 9, 2013, 01:16 AM
Well, no. That's the way it works, the game is from Japan they'll get first dibs. I have no problem with wating, and all that cut out of the game, extremely unlikely.

lol Episode 4? I doubt they'll go on to Episode 3. But I stay positive, because removal of "major" content isn't something that bothers me. The key game will stay intact, and that's what I'm currently waiting for to play.

How have people not been patient? Nobody has assaulted a SEGA employee or sent bomb threats to SoA headquarters as far as I'm aware...I don't think it's that big of a deal that people are somewhat edgy over, what, a year and a half of absolutely no new information since the game was announced for the USA...?

I'm just saying it's gonna take some time, these games are quite hard to set up. Well much harder than PSU because PSU's content was on a disc and at the time that's all they had to do. For PSO2 they are working out a game plan, maybe they are trying to keep up with translating new content, who knows.

But look at many other online games, some have a really long localization time attached to them.

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 01:23 AM
Well, no. That's the way it works, the game is from Japan they'll get first dibs. I have no problem with wating, and all that cut out of the game, extremely unlikely.

lol Episode 4? I doubt they'll go on to Episode 3. But I stay positive, because removal of "major" content isn't something that bothers me. The key game will stay intact, and that's what I'm currently waiting for to play.

I'm just saying it's gonna take some time, these games are quite hard to set up. Well much harder than PSU because PSU's content was on a disc and at the time that's all they had to do. For PSO2 they are working out a game plan, maybe they are trying to keep up with translating new content, who knows.

But look at many other online games, some have a really long localization time attached to them.

It's not online, but Xenoblade: Chronicles was a good example.

The issue here is that SEGA never opts for a worldwide release...one community, instead of dividing everything up.

I think that's the cause of this huge divide with PSO fans, and I hope it is something that can be addressed in future installments to the franchise, but I'm still keeping the pessimistic outlook that the game will most likely end up canceled for the West.

I just can't see PSO2 EN being profitable is the issue...

Totori
Aug 9, 2013, 01:25 AM
Well it depends on how you wanna define profitable, honestly. It's going to make money, that's no doubt if it gets released over here, because people are going to use it's cashshops.

Kion
Aug 9, 2013, 01:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that translating is one of the quickest and cheapest aspects of localizing a game. Off the top of my head, i think the challenges of releasing the game internationally lie along the lines of:

Setting up and managing another set of game servers
the items are stored on a server, that means they'd need multiple servers for multiple languages
Laws in each country they release the game and what is included
Setting up and ID system for multiple players in different regions to play together
Setting up a pay system for different regions to play with each other
The possibility of getting sued. There have been a lot of frivolous patents being thrown at different companies in America, it might be a liability
Failing once with PSU. PSU was mostly Sega's fault for horrible management, but after failing once, it might means that the company doesn't want to risk a lot of resources for another failure.
Managing content and communicating with different regions. The dev team probably has their hands full which means they might need to have to add new tools so that other regions and staff can mange and add to the game with out having to ask the SoJ dev team for every small task.

There's probably more, but from a company's perspective, this is probably the lines that they are thinking on.

MetalDude
Aug 9, 2013, 01:29 AM
The lack of communication is the damning factor alongside SoA's incredibly lackluster/outright terrible performance with previous games. It's hard to really trust them on anything even in light of the difficulty of localization.

Kion
Aug 9, 2013, 01:35 AM
The lack of communication is the damning factor alongside SoA's incredibly lackluster/outright terrible performance with previous games. It's hard to really trust them on anything even in light of the difficulty of localization.

The thing is we don't know if a lack of communication is SoA fault for retaining information, or SoJ's fault for not providing said information.

Macman
Aug 9, 2013, 02:11 AM
They missed the boat; the ship has sailed. I wouldn't even care if they localized it by now.

MetalDude
Aug 9, 2013, 02:14 AM
The thing is we don't know if a lack of communication is SoA fault for retaining information, or SoJ's fault for not providing said information.

I'm prepared to blame both really, knowing the history of SoJ's takeover and how SoA is essentially a neglected subordinate.

Zipzo
Aug 9, 2013, 03:06 AM

They could easily just say "Waitin' on SoJ ^_-" or even be ambiguous about it so as not to point fingers and say "It's out of our hands at the moment!" and that would be enough to probably pull the pressure off of themselves.

Instead they seem to be saying nothing, which in all cases, no matter what they might choose to say instead, is worse. Silence is easily the worst thing they could give to the players who are anxiously waiting...well, anything on the progress of its arrival.

Totori
Aug 9, 2013, 03:15 AM
Do remember they might want to say something, but NDA's are powerful. They prolly aren't allowed to speak to deeply about why.

Alisha
Aug 9, 2013, 03:24 AM
the fact this this is a sega europe guy makes me laugh. it means soa is still under the thumb of soe.

landman
Aug 9, 2013, 03:35 AM
I seem to be the only pso2 player that feels like this game is still in "early" development and its content is still too poor for a western/korean release, and that both SOJ and SOA are waiting for the proper time.

How many months since Tea and Party scene about how arks used to organize fights between them when there were many of them, and how those times may come back because of the increasing numbers of Arks? They may be planning a PVP mode because they know this is what will make more people stay in the long run, and without it, at this point with its current content, the game does not have more than 2-3 months worth playing.

MoronSonOfBoron
Aug 9, 2013, 04:36 AM
I seem to be the only pso2 player that feels like this game is still in "early" development and its content is still too poor for a western/korean release, and that both SOJ and SOA are waiting for the proper time.
YOU ARE NEVER THE ONLY ONE.

Although I agree, they are likely being cautious. One of the main points in that interview was that video games, especially the F2P market, are unpredictable. I don't think they should be so cautious, though, because in F2P the longer you wait the more you're outcompeted by other F2P games (old and new) already sinking their hooks into potential buyers.

Ironically, just look at Spiral Knights, run by Three Rings, one of SEGA's small "indie" holdings. Major success story right there, a miniscule development group putting out a consistent and enjoyable experience for international players since launch.

And before this, I played Vindictus; that was released early on in its development cycle, even undergoing a total gameplay revamp for one of its character classes, but it's done pretty well especially in terms of keeping international versions in pace while adding new content.

SEGA is likely wrestling with business arrangements more than any actual development issues at the moment, though I can rightly assume they have reason not to be confident about continuing game development itself... The persistent bugs, clunky software design, and archaic class design are all marks against their potential for Western release, which is already saturated with a wealth of better-programmed, better-managed games run by smaller companies. They are probably thinking long and hard before making a big move like this, even while time is running out.

Noc Codez
Aug 9, 2013, 04:47 AM
INB4 another Delay lol

AgemFrostMage
Aug 9, 2013, 05:08 AM

Companies are too afraid to take risks anymore and stay safe. As bad as Sega politics and management are at least it still makes games that are actually games and don't throw "exiting story area" or a billion cutscenes at you. You can even skip the introscenes in PSO2 I think that's great doesn't waste time.

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 06:26 AM
Companies are too afraid to take risks anymore and stay safe. As bad as Sega politics and management are at least it still makes games that are actually games and don't throw "exiting story area" or a billion cutscenes at you. You can even skip the introscenes in PSO2 I think that's great doesn't waste time.

Phantasy Star has slways been an easy RPG game franchise to access...for Japan. It's not nearly received as well in America.

To me, the only major companies out there out of the console industry that still make games that are truly innovative are both Nintendo and SEGA. It's nice to see such openness from SEGA's end that they do indeed have such close relations with Nintendo.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

If we thought last-generation was bad with the hugely oversaturated FPS market, you haven't seen anything yet. These new consoles from Sony and Microsoft are absolutely choked by what I call 'dudebro' games from the get-go.

This is why I've always preferred Nintendo, SEGA, PC, and indie gaming. You just cannot deny the fun to be had in all four of those areas! :D

AgemFrostMage
Aug 9, 2013, 06:45 AM
Phantasy Star has slways been an easy RPG game franchise to access...for Japan. It's not nearly received as well in America.

To me, the only major companies out there out of the console industry that still make games that are truly innovative are both Nintendo and SEGA. It's nice to see such openness from SEGA's end that they do indeed have such close relations with Nintendo.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

If we thought last-generation was bad with the hugely oversaturated FPS market, you haven't seen anything yet. These new consoles from Sony and Microsoft are absolutely choked by what I call 'dudebro' games from the get-go.

This is why I've always preferred Nintendo, SEGA, PC, and indie gaming. You just cannot deny the fun to be had in all four of those areas! :D

FPS used to be so fun could rocket jump, lightning gun actually killed you if used underwater, immediately get into the shooting and finding ammo and guns, etc. No cutscenes or eternal intro screens to hamstring gameplay flow.

I don't trust the X-Box One at all it spies on people, must be online even for singleplayer, not good, must have kinnect, too expensive, and mostly western games that talk too much. Even Phantasy Star with its dialogue was entertaining and had a quick flow to it and was just cool. Sega games had attitude back in the day. There are no real RPGs anymore even Final Fantasy XV will be action like XII was.

Neferpitou
Aug 9, 2013, 07:31 AM
I bet they announced PSO2 in NA to advertise the JP version.

Laxedrane
Aug 9, 2013, 07:34 AM
soooooooooooooommmmmeeee where over the rainbow, way up high, there's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.

Home Dog
Aug 9, 2013, 09:13 AM
lol "at some point". That is longer than Sega's "soon".

NintendoLight
Aug 9, 2013, 09:47 AM
One day when this does come out i'm not going to the NA server cause i don't want to it will be like PSU all over again so i think its better to stay on the Japanese server and all of english players should all go to one block and hug each other and have some Tea and pie.

yeah idk.

HandOfThornz
Aug 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that translating is one of the quickest and cheapest aspects of localizing a game. Off the top of my head, i think the challenges of releasing the game internationally lie along the lines of:

Setting up and managing another set of game servers
the items are stored on a server, that means they'd need multiple servers for multiple languages
Laws in each country they release the game and what is included
Setting up and ID system for multiple players in different regions to play together
Setting up a pay system for different regions to play with each other
The possibility of getting sued. There have been a lot of frivolous patents being thrown at different companies in America, it might be a liability
Failing once with PSU. PSU was mostly Sega's fault for horrible management, but after failing once, it might means that the company doesn't want to risk a lot of resources for another failure.
Managing content and communicating with different regions. The dev team probably has their hands full which means they might need to have to add new tools so that other regions and staff can mange and add to the game with out having to ask the SoJ dev team for every small task.

There's probably more, but from a company's perspective, this is probably the lines that they are thinking on.

That's a good solid overview and key points highlighted.

Other thing to bare in mind, it was only recently SEGA stopped advertising for a "Free2play director" job role in Europe. I'm pretty sure the role has been filled recently as the ad's have disappeared.
This makes me think SEGA SOE/SOA have held out putting PSO2 out due to lack of professional internal knowledge with large free2play models?

Zysets
Aug 9, 2013, 12:03 PM
This makes me think SEGA SOE/SOA have held out putting PSO2 out due to lack of professional internal knowledge with large free2play models?

Oh gosh I hope so! If it really is an internal knowledge issue, and they have someone in that has experience or some knowledge with managing this type of game, then we may see it someday. Ah, In the end, "someday" just sounds like Sega though.

Eternum
Aug 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
Am I the only one that sees a huge opportunity here?

World of Warcraft has really caused stagnation in the MMORPG genre. At the time of PSU, this was not the case.
However, WoW did something good for the genre overall in that it got people used to MMORPGs and made it popular.
At this point, people are tired of the WoW feeling; they're just looking for something unique and different--which is exactly what PSO2 is.
Anime/exposure to Japanese culture has been a lot more well-received with things like Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, sites like Crunchyroll and who knows what else.
Networking has changed with the rise of social media and viral advertising.
Western publishers seem to have tunnel vision, that recycling "dudebro" games (thanks so much for that term) is the way to go, despite millions in Kickstarter campaigns for other kinds of games.
This means RPG fans, hipsters, and many other types of gamers are currently isolated from the primary* market. *Primary, as dictated by Western publishers.

I feel the gamble is if Sega sees the opening and goes for it. I notice their Japanese advertising campaign is a LOT stronger than it ever was in the US (and possibly internationally? I don't really know there, sorry. :( ). If they put half that effort in to international advertising, they'd probably end up way more popular than in past attempts given that the competitive field has changed.

Emp
Aug 9, 2013, 01:53 PM
The game has little to no chance of surviving in the FPS dominated NA/EU game industry

Neith
Aug 9, 2013, 02:08 PM
Loving how vague Sega continue to be. Surely most people who were interested in PSO2 have at least tried the JP version by now?

Yet still they continue trying to string fans along with promises it's coming out. It'd be far easier at this point to just admit it's being cancelled. Even if it does release, I really doubt it'll be up to date with the JP version (more than likely be years behind) and not worth playing.

Even if we get past all that, we'd still have to put up with Clumsyorchid and Edward spilling coffee on the servers every week, like PSU :wacko:

Eternum
Aug 9, 2013, 03:12 PM
The game has little to no chance of surviving in the FPS dominated NA/EU game industry

In that case, Star Citizen (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/), a space sim, would not have raised $15 million+ from crowd-funding and have masses of fans frothing at the mouth in this early production. It's the publishers that are saying, "no one wants a space sim/RPG/non-FPS game." They're not in touch with the full scope of their demographic anymore.

Cyclon
Aug 9, 2013, 03:38 PM
Am I the only one that sees a huge opportunity here?

World of Warcraft has really caused stagnation in the MMORPG genre. At the time of PSU, this was not the case.
However, WoW did something good for the genre overall in that it got people used to MMORPGs and made it popular.
At this point, people are tired of the WoW feeling; they're just looking for something unique and different--which is exactly what PSO2 is.
Anime/exposure to Japanese culture has been a lot more well-received with things like Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, sites like Crunchyroll and who knows what else.
Networking has changed with the rise of social media and viral advertising.
Western publishers seem to have tunnel vision, that recycling "dudebro" games (thanks so much for that term) is the way to go, despite millions in Kickstarter campaigns for other kinds of games.
This means RPG fans, hipsters, and many other types of gamers are currently isolated from the primary* market. *Primary, as dictated by Western publishers.

I feel the gamble is if Sega sees the opening and goes for it. I notice their Japanese advertising campaign is a LOT stronger than it ever was in the US (and possibly internationally? I don't really know there, sorry. :( ). If they put half that effort in to international advertising, they'd probably end up way more popular than in past attempts given that the competitive field has changed.Sums up my thoughts on the matter about a year ago. Well in a way, I still think that it could work. But they had plenty of time to advertise the game or do anything really, and it just... didn't happen.
So yeah, I agree with you. But you may as well call it a lost opportunity at this point.

Pentence
Aug 9, 2013, 03:42 PM
Honestly? I am not sure many of us here personally care. At this point many who werereluctant before and were waiting for eng releash have just goten on board the jp server. I have 5 friends who did this after waitng until about a month ago.

I know that SOJ must be seeing the eng patches and all that jazz by now. No way they do not. Then they might now be thinking ( or so I hope) " maybe we should do an international server" . They can now see the money in it.

Also there is no need to worry about laws in other countries hardly. As they owen the pso 2 franchise and all that already. Being a game for download makes production cost for new discs a non issue so no need to worry bout all that. Would it not be simpler to expand the current server which is hosted in japan to accmidate more connections? Then they have it all under one roof saves them monet on space and perssonel.

I still see that other language option in the menu. Here is to hope.

DrEngrish
Aug 9, 2013, 04:45 PM
I totally agree with you Pentence. I think it would be a win win situation for Sega if they introduced a set of "International Ships" on the current JP POS2 Servers.

gigawuts
Aug 9, 2013, 04:51 PM
International ships...that's not itself a good idea since it'd be the exact same result where people in one region are locked away from people in other regions but with higher pings since it'd all be located in the same physical location yet you'd be restricted by your ship - but what about international blocks? Take the vita treatment and apply it on an international level. Some exclusive blocks, then some shared blocks - on every ship.

So the way blocks in the 2xx range are for PC players and vita players, yet blocks in the xx range are just for PC players (not sure where the vita players go, I don't have a vita), you'd have the same thing for JP players, US players, etc.

Karazykid
Aug 9, 2013, 06:12 PM
I don't know that I care. It's hard to get excited when you know it'll just be at least a year behind the JP version, will NEVER catch up and we'll be lucky if it updates at all half the time. I remember the mess that was PSU on Xbox where we'd get half an update.

As long as the English patch keeps workin, JP servers for me.

Zipzo
Aug 9, 2013, 06:44 PM

Just in case you didn't know, a MOBA dominates the game industry right now in the NA/EU. It isn't anything like an FPS.

darklinkwarrior
Aug 9, 2013, 07:14 PM
I loved p.s.o, it was amazing.This is just terrible ... been following this game for years now. How can a successful business lead customers on this long. I am very upset about this... and what if I don't even like the game when it comes out. /rage

Masakan
Aug 9, 2013, 07:42 PM
Sigh. Maybe I'm just reading this the wrong way, but....why does it sound like you guys HOPE that it fails?

strikerhunter
Aug 9, 2013, 07:47 PM
Sigh. Maybe I'm just reading this the wrong way, but....why does it sound like you guys HOPE that it fails?

Because 95% of us knows that it is likely that the NA/EU version will likely fail.
In any case if that it does succeed, you'll just end up with the players who waited for the release only to be playing a game most likely behind on content.

Top Reasons:
1. Lack of communication.
2. Updates will likely fall behind just like PSU.
3. Has been over 1 year since announcement and release of JP version.
4. SOA shows no sign of learning from their past mistakes from PSU.

I'd be surprise if SoA does things that'll blow my mind.

darklinkwarrior
Aug 9, 2013, 07:57 PM
I loved p.s.o without updates and such was just a memorable game I played with friends. With this long of a wait its going be very anti climatic. I'm sure plenty of people are already over this game just because of the wait, ill get it if I see it come out. But I want to be done following it.

Masakan
Aug 9, 2013, 08:05 PM
Because 95% of us knows that it is likely that the NA/EU version will likely fail.
In any case if that it does succeed, you'll just end up with the players who waited for the release only to be playing a game most likely behind on content.

Top Reasons:

I see...so it's not that you WANT them to fail, but past experiences have left you jaded.

Well you are familiar with nexon right? People give those guys so much Bullshit, I mostly played a game they published called mabinogi, and this was before the iria patch was launched (this big wide open landscape that you could explore)
Now people assumed that nexon was gonna be lazy and just bring them out one at a time,Much like this. I was guilty of this as well.

Then Nexon surprised everyone and released everything about iria all at one time. Took a bit longer, but people were very pleased about it, showed that nexon had at least SOME competency.

Now your gonna tell me, that sega is less competent about bringing content stateside than nexon of all companies?!

Totori
Aug 9, 2013, 08:17 PM

Top Reasons:

The NA/EU version of the game won't fail, because it will do what SEGA needs it to do. That is make money.

It's a japanese game, we aren't going to be caught up, that's just not gonna happen. Only time that does happen, is if the game is being designed for other areas in mind.

Also what exactly was SOA's past mistakes with PSU?

strikerhunter
Aug 9, 2013, 08:26 PM
The NA/EU version of the game won't fail, because it will do what SEGA needs it to do. That is make money.

It's a japanese game, we aren't going to be caught up, that's just not gonna happen. Only time that does happen, is if the game is being designed for other areas in mind.

The several months of no content/communication that started fall back on updates is the primary one.

Noc Codez
Aug 9, 2013, 08:31 PM

Do we really want to go down this road?

Sigh here we go
PSU ps2/pc

1. Little to no support contet wise and communication
2. Mass hacking and duping (which caused the population to quit or move on)
3. Due to mass players not Playing servers were shut off early

Psu Xbox 360
1. Mass scamming
2. Players selling porn (Xbox psu demo)
3. Grinder glitch
4. Players reporting cheaters/scammers (nothing was done till an outrage from the community)
5. Reskin on top of reskin (weapons that Japan got new skins for was skinned to look like common 8*s for us.
6. content that Japan got 360 didn't

There's more but ehh you get the drift..

strikerhunter
Aug 9, 2013, 08:33 PM
I see...so it's not that you WANT them to fail, but past experiences have left you jaded.

Well you are familiar with nexon right? People give those guys so much Bullshit, I mostly played a game they published called mabinogi, and this was before the iria patch was launched (this big wide open landscape that you could explore)
Now people assumed that nexon was gonna be lazy and just bring them out one at a time,Much like this. I was guilty of this as well.

Then Nexon surprised everyone and released everything about iria all at one time. Took a bit longer, but people were very pleased about it, showed that nexon had at least SOME competency.

Now your gonna tell me, that sega is less competent about bringing content stateside than nexon of all companies?!

True to that, although I am not familiar with Neoxen.

This is a situation on content gap between different versions of the same exact game. Don't get me wrong, I still want Sega to bring all the up-to-date content but it's that I doubt that they will do so at launch.

Don't you think that one version of the game should not be behind on content whereas one is way ahead is just wrong?

It's hard to ignore knowing that one version of the game is behind on contents whereas another version of the same exact game is far ahead on contents.

If the NA/EU versions starts off from the Beginning of Episode 2 at release then I don't mind being 2-3months behind since the gap isn't big enough to worry about but rather to look ahead.

Noc Codez
Aug 9, 2013, 08:36 PM
Trust me you won't be 2-3 months behind and they will promise they'll catch up but you won't.. False hope is there tactic to keep you playing they did it in psu and they'll do it again

Masakan
Aug 9, 2013, 08:37 PM
True to that.

But this is a situation of one game and different versions of the same game.

Don't you think that one version of the game should not be behind on content whereas one is way ahead is just wrong?

It's hard to ignore knowing that one version of the game is behind on contents whereas another version of the same exact game is far ahead on contents.

If the NA/EU versions starts off from the Beginning of Episode 2 at release then I don't mind being 2-3months behind since the gap isn't big enough to worry about but rather to look ahead.

Like i said since they said they in fact do plan to bring it here, let's just wait and see what they do before we start complaining. If it's like you said and the content is ludicrously behind, I won't even touch the NA version and will wash my hands of anything sega related that isn't 3rd party developed.

Trust me you won't be 2-3 months behind and they will promise they'll catch up but you won't.. False hope is there tactic to keep you playing they did it in psu and they'll do it again

I know you probably have bad memories of PSU, but must you be such a buzzkill?

strikerhunter
Aug 9, 2013, 08:40 PM
Like i said since they said they in fact do plan to bring it here, let's just wait and see what they do before we start complaining. If it's like you said and the content is ludicrously behind, I won't even touch the NA version and will wash my hands of anything sega related that isn't 3rd party developed.

The only issue at this point is communication.

Then again, we can't really blame anyone on that.

Only if that gap does not increase overtime, then I won't mind.

Noc Codez
Aug 9, 2013, 08:42 PM
Actually I have good memories of PSU when they actually did updates it was really fun.. I stayed for friends but when I seen the signs of them closing the server I jumped ship and just wasted for pso2 JP.. I said it was coming soon on the official sega forums and all the little sega white knights argued with me.. Guess whos laughing now
This guy right here lol :)

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 09:05 PM

SEGA won't make money if the game doesn't see the level of users buying into Arks Cash for premium features like you see right now for PSO2 JP (EN players on the JP server like myself included in that mix).

The people who WOULD pay for such content are already on the JP servers. Why pay for it again, even if they do make the switch? Kinda defeats the point in all honesty, and it's a waste of your own money and time.

The only people I can imagine playing PSO2 EN if it ever does come out (and it won't, most likely) are the diehards of those official EN servers, hackers, and scammers. I realize that there are the (minute) few of people who still do want an EN version of the game, but at this point it would be masochistic to yourself to demand such a release.

What you really should be asking for is the SEGA JP server to be EXPANDED into an INTERNATIONAL server. That way you'd have separate communities all connected to each other, for once, and receive updates the same time as everyone else due to it being available internationally.

The several months of no content/communication that started fall back on updates is the primary one.

Yup.

Sigh here we go
PSU ps2/pc

Psu Xbox 360
1. Mass scamming
3. Grinder glitch
4. Players reporting cheaters/scammers (nothing was done till an outrage from the community)
5. Reskin on top of reskin (weapons that Japan got new skins for was skinned to look like common 8*s for us.

Thanks! You got the just of what I was going to say there, so I didn't even have to say it. :3

Pff...more like 2-3 years behind. >.>

I know you probably have bad memories of PSU, but must you be such a buzzkill?

It's called thinking realistically here.

SEGA would end up losing money BIG TIME if their Western release doesn't do well or get the support it needs to keep the servers running, and they CAN'T afford another screw up as big as that again.

Their financials and stock has been plummeting, so they need to stick their guns in the right places before firing them all off at once.

It would be far more realistic to suggest an international expansion to the Japanese servers, but it's masochistic to demand a separate, dated EN version of the game that will never reach even near to the same amount of content the JP version has. You have English patches already for this game, which makes it basically the exact same thing as an English release (I would say it's better because Japanese voice acting > English voice dubs).

Totori
Aug 9, 2013, 09:06 PM

Sigh here we go
PSU ps2/pc

Psu Xbox 360
1. Mass scamming
3. Grinder glitch

Quite a few (More than Quite a few) of these seem completely, out of SOA's hands. Such as PSUPC 3, and also they did have pretty okay support. I remembered talking to a GM about not being able to login because of an issue with my account, they fixed it.

Also some of the issues, with the 360. If SOJ is better, why is it that I can see sexual SA and of that sort?

Masakan
Aug 9, 2013, 09:09 PM
What you really should be asking for is the SEGA JP server to be EXPANDED into an INTERNATIONAL server. That way you'd have separate communities all connected to each other, for once, and receive updates the same time as everyone else due to it being available internationally.

Now THAT is never gonna happen, it would take WAY too much money.

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 09:10 PM
Now THAT is never gonna happen, it would take WAY too much money.

You mean money that they'd be making from all the PSO2 gamers from around the world?

Edit: FYI, there was over 2.5 million registered players back in May for PSO2. Now, if HALF of those players purchase 2000 Arks Cash (equivalent of ~30 USD), you're looking at about $37,500,000. Of course, half of the players haven't, but I'm sure SEGA has still been making a ton of money off of this game so far.

By now, they must've not only gotten back the money for development costs, but also to keep their servers running. There are a LOT of premium users on PSO2 JP.

Broadening that crowd of people, rather than dividing different crowds, would only strengthen the game more. Many games nowadays have an international release.

Masakan
Aug 9, 2013, 09:14 PM
You mean money that they'd be making from all the PSO2 gamers from around the world?

They would actually have to make the servers international before thinking about what the profits would be.

Might not be as much as they would think.

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 09:21 PM
They would actually have to make the servers international before thinking about what the profits would be.

Might not be as much as they would think.

Hahaha.

It's cheaper to expand the JP server to be international than to create and maintain a SEPARATE EN one.

Masakan
Aug 9, 2013, 09:25 PM
Hahaha.

It's cheaper to expand the JP server to be international than to create and maintain a SEPARATE EN one.

You think so? Huh. Then why haven't other Asian companies done that...oh right super strict Korean internet laws, i forgot about that.

darkwraith007
Aug 9, 2013, 09:26 PM
Expanding the servers to openly welcome foreign players will not happen.
The shallow sadistic xenophobic-Japanese persona that SEGA JP has adopted will prevent them from seeing foreign players as a mere annoyance.

Why bother with actually catering to a non-JP market? They will still get the money without expending any additional effort! The hardcore fans that are willing to pay for stuff will do so even with all the hurdles in place. Perhaps they don't know or don't care to actually support simpler payment methods.

I'm thinking that they realize just how terrible PSO2 would be in the non-Asian markets due to the looming giants of Elder Scrolls Online (aka 'Skyrim with small-party multiplayer') and the new Everquest Next (run by Sony Online Entertainment who has never made a mistake with MMOs...like they totally didn't have their GMs actually teleport protesting players into space after the 'New Game Enhancements' completely obliterated their loyal playerbase) being poised and ready to absolutely obliterate all but the most loyal fanbase.

They don't want to 'appeal to a wider audience' because such an audience is fickle and may just end up complaining too often about annoyances that most of us may either be used to or just ignore. Funny how that works, hmm? They don't wanna deal with that since they probably feel the Japanese playerbase is 'superior' to all other players in both retention ratio and profit, therefore they don't bother.

Typical of SEGA. We shouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't hold my breath that IF they actually bother following through with this, that it won't just end up being a giant 'fuck you' to the non-Asian markets due to being woefully out of date from the JP servers, having much higher prices (because fuck those foreigners, amirite? derp derp), and being a buggy glitchy hackerfest with little to no support whatsoever.

No thanks. JP servers for me. :)

NintenJon25
Aug 9, 2013, 11:01 PM
The shallow sadistic xenophobic-Japanese persona that SEGA JP has adopted will prevent them from seeing foreign players as a mere annoyance.

Agreed. I was bringing up that it's just ridiculous for people to keep asking for an EN version of PSO2. The truth of the matter is that SEGA JP doesn't want English people playing on their server, but if they're making money off of them, why would they neglect that audience by banning them?

In hindsight, if SEGA JP ever does ban anyone who's not Japanese, they wouldn't haplessly do it for no reason to people who are forking out money to keep their servers active and make the game profitable from the Western region of the world.

A lot of us Western players on the JP server have already purchased Premium access to things, for example, and participate in the AC Scratch Ticket Lottery. The only reason they'd ever ban someone is if they violate the game's actual code of conduct.

As said previously, the EN version is already out there in the form of the English Patch, English Story Patch, English Large Files, and Item Translation Patch for PSO2. That's all of PSO2's meat right there---and there are more translations to come from there! :D

Why bother with actually catering to a non-JP market? They will still get the money without expending any additional effort! The hardcore fans that are willing to pay for stuff will do so even with all the hurdles in place. Perhaps they don't know or don't care to actually support simpler payment methods.

Yup! Any true PSO fan would go through those hurdles to add funds because that's just how much we love the game for what it is! :D

I'm thinking that they realize just how terrible PSO2 would be in the non-Asian markets due to the looming giants of Elder Scrolls Online (aka 'Skyrim with small-party multiplayer') and the new Everquest Next (run by Sony Online Entertainment who has never made a mistake with MMOs...like they totally didn't have their GMs actually teleport protesting players into space after the 'New Game Enhancements' completely obliterated their loyal playerbase) being poised and ready to absolutely obliterate all but the most loyal fanbase.

Exactly.

Phantasy Star, as a franchise, has always been something that has catered to a Japanese audience. The amount of people on EN servers were always less than those in JP, when it really should have been vice versa if SoA/SoJ did their job correctly with working out communication.

However, the past is there and will always prove where Phantasy Star will always receive the canon version, and the only place for that IS Japan.

They don't want to 'appeal to a wider audience' because such an audience is fickle and may just end up complaining too often about annoyances that most of us may either be used to or just ignore. Funny how that works, hmm? They don't wanna deal with that since they probably feel the Japanese playerbase is 'superior' to all other players in both retention ratio and profit, therefore they don't bother.

100% agreed, and the giant lettering definitely speaks volumes about why we will never see a main, canon version of Phantasy Star Online game in the West.

Typical of SEGA. We shouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't hold my breath that IF they actually bother following through with this, that it won't just end up being a giant 'fuck you' to the non-Asian markets due to being woefully out of date from the JP servers, having much higher prices (because fuck those foreigners, amirite? derp derp), and being a buggy glitchy hackerfest with little to no support whatsoever.

No thanks. JP servers for me. :)

Yup! I'm sticking with JP servers for PS from now on too. I've learned my lesson after going through the harsh reality of where the real PSO fans are ever since the original release back on the Dreamcast after how absolutely ATROCIOUS Phantasy Star Universe support was.

Don't forget that the price of Yen has gone down, too. SEGA has been making a killing with PSO2 because of that in Japan. :D

Narrillnezzurh
Aug 9, 2013, 11:26 PM

Well, the servers already are "international"; we wouldn't be able to connect at all if they weren't. The only thing SEGA would have to do to call PSO2 "international" other than implement multiple language support in-game is offer properly translated versions of the website and allow paypal to be used to buy AC.

Masakan
Aug 10, 2013, 05:33 AM
Agreed. I was bringing up that it's just ridiculous for people to keep asking for an EN version of PSO2. The truth of the matter is that SEGA JP doesn't want English people playing on their server, but if they're making money off of them, why would they neglect that audience by banning them?

In hindsight, if SEGA JP ever does ban anyone who's not Japanese, they wouldn't haplessly do it for no reason to people who are forking out money to keep their servers active and make the game profitable from the Western region of the world.

A lot of us Western players on the JP server have already purchased Premium access to things, for example, and participate in the AC Scratch Ticket Lottery. The only reason they'd ever ban someone is if they violate the game's actual code of conduct.

As said previously, the EN version is already out there in the form of the English Patch, English Story Patch, English Large Files, and Item Translation Patch for PSO2. That's all of PSO2's meat right there---and there are more translations to come from there! :D

Yup! Any true PSO fan would go through those hurdles to add funds because that's just how much we love the game for what it is! :D

Exactly.

Phantasy Star, as a franchise, has always been something that has catered to a Japanese audience. The amount of people on EN servers were always less than those in JP, when it really should have been vice versa if SoA/SoJ did their job correctly with working out communication.

However, the past is there and will always prove where Phantasy Star will always receive the canon version, and the only place for that IS Japan.

100% agreed, and the giant lettering definitely speaks volumes about why we will never see a main, canon version of Phantasy Star Online game in the West.

Yup! I'm sticking with JP servers for PS from now on too. I've learned my lesson after going through the harsh reality of where the real PSO fans are ever since the original release back on the Dreamcast after how absolutely ATROCIOUS Phantasy Star Universe support was.

Don't forget that the price of Yen has gone down, too. SEGA has been making a killing with PSO2 because of that in Japan. :D

Uh yes alex, I'd Like to buy Biased for 400.

Cyclon
Aug 10, 2013, 05:51 AM
I think it might be interesting to remind everybody how the "clause" forbidding foreign access to PSO2 was present back in closed beta(alpha?), but got removed by Sega themselves, if I'm not mistaken, at the beginning of open.

It was then put back in again two or three months later if I ain't mistaken once again, and hacking was summoned as the reason for that. But the fact stands that they willingly removed it and claimed that they were welcoming us on several occasions, while never making the registration process easier for foreigners and blocking foreign credit cards after the hacking problem. Which of these actions scream "money" to you? You know the worst part? I get the feeling all of them do.

People despise Sega enough for you to get away with this kind of stuff, but that doesn't make such posts any less dumb. "shallow sadistic xenophobic"? Really? That's beyond ridiculous and I hope you're just trying to troll, in which case bravo sir you got me; if from now on you were to act as the intelligent human being I'm sure you are I'd be truly grateful.

BizarreJuju
Aug 10, 2013, 10:13 AM
If the NA release ever happens, I just hope the JP server wont kick us out to move to our regional server. Honestly, I love the JP server and I love their update road map. I just someway wish for an international server.

Rien
Aug 10, 2013, 10:21 AM
If the NA release ever happens, I just hope the JP server wont kick us out to move to our regional server. Honestly, I love the JP server and I love their update road map. I just someway wish for an international server.

I honestly think the road map is a massively overstretched drip feed, especially in some areas (like seriously this coming update better release new katanas)

BizarreJuju
Aug 10, 2013, 10:44 AM
I honestly think the road map is a massively overstretched drip feed, especially in some areas (like seriously this coming update better release new katanas)

I'm sure they will be releasing tun of weapons for each class. Its like more content than coast.

Im hoping for new AQ and TA.

kevlar_pso
Aug 11, 2013, 03:41 AM
I have to wonder if PSO2 is being held back in NA to be released in the 1st quarter for the Xbox One and PS4? Since both next gen consoles are mostly PCs, PSO2 could be released there. I speculated in the past about PSU receiving a port to Xbox 360.

http://www.pso-world.com/news/01772-xbox-360-backwards-compatible-wpso-x

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSO2 at the very least on PS4 and cross platform play with the Vita.

NintenJon25
Aug 11, 2013, 04:04 AM
I have to wonder if PSO2 is being held back in NA to be released in the 1st quarter for the Xbox One and PS4? Since both next gen consoles are mostly PCs, PSO2 could be released there. I speculated in the past about PSU receiving a port to Xbox 360.

http://www.pso-world.com/news/01772-xbox-360-backwards-compatible-wpso-x

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSO2 at the very least on PS4 and cross platform play with the Vita.

I'd say the PC, Wii U, PlayStation Vita, and iOS/Android are the best options at this point (I'm talking about Japan here, not the United States).

Just to make something clear, the visuals and the engine that Phantasy Star Online 2 uses would not be considered "next-gen" for the crowd of gamers that would be early adopters of either the Xbox One or PlayStation 4. It's very much current-gen, but having the game available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 at this late point in the generation would be a waste of effort if online services for those consoles are cut-off in 2015.

As the Wii U and PlayStation Vita share similar specs (albeit, the Wii U being more powerful and running games at 1080p), along with the Wii U GamePad, I would go as far to say that it would probably replicate the PC experience of the game and then some.

Of course, then there's the issue that BOTH the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita have horrendous sales figures. Albeit, the PlayStation Vita is doing much better now, and it probably has Phantasy Star Online 2 and that much-needed price cut in Japan to thank for that.

kevlar_pso
Aug 11, 2013, 04:19 AM
I'd say the PC, Wii U, PlayStation Vita, and iOS/Android are the best options at this point (I'm talking about Japan here, not the United States).

Just to make something clear, the visuals and the engine that Phantasy Star Online 2 uses would not be considered "next-gen" for the crowd of gamers that would be early adopters of either the Xbox One or PlayStation 4. It's very much current-gen, but having the game available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 at this late point in the generation would be a waste of effort if online services for those consoles are cut-off in 2015.

As the Wii U and PlayStation Vita share similar specs (albeit, the Wii U being more powerful and running games at 1080p), along with the Wii U GamePad, I would go as far to say that it would probably replicate the PC experience of the game and then some.

Of course, then there's the issue that BOTH the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita have horrendous sales figures. Albeit, the PlayStation Vita is doing much better now, and it probably has Phantasy Star Online 2 and that much-needed price cut in Japan to thank for that.

I would love to see PSO2 on WiiU. I will be getting a WiiU for my kids for Christmas. My son and I would have a blast playing PSO2 couch multiplayer. Him on the tv, w/me on the tablet/controller.

Maronji
Aug 11, 2013, 05:51 AM
Ordinarily, I wouldn't make a post like this, but this time, I have to. I have to get this off my chest, because the things I see in these kinds of threads are disturbing at times. That's right. I hate this thread and others like it, I really do.

All sorts of misinformation, prejudice, and downright ignorant things come out when one of these threads pops up. In fact, in discussing about this matter with another person just moments ago, I begin to realize just how stupid some of the stances/arguments made here really are.

Whenever someone says that "the EN version is only going to launch with x content" and whatnot, they're pulling that out of their ass and flaunting it around as fact when, in reality, we don't know what the plans are. We couldn't possibly know unless you're a god-damned time traveler, in which case I (along with probably everyone else here) have a million things to ask you. All time travelers in this thread, raise your hands!

...No one? Exactly my point. I know I gave literally zero time for anyone to respond to that, but let's be honest: anyone who can travel through time would have better things to do than hang around on the internet.

Anyone who uses past experience to say that EN PSO2 is going to fail is somewhat misguided. I won't say that past experience has zero influence on how things are going to play out (obviously, those with bad experiences won't play or will hold off to see how things go), but you're really up-playing exactly how much influence that has. Do we know if the core management team is similar to PSO? To PSU? No, we don't. Do we know anything about the relationship between the current EN and JP PSO2 teams? No, we don't.

People keep saying that everyone who wants to play is already playing on the JP servers. Anyone who's saying that is biased to all hell for one reason or another. PSO-World is not representative of the overall potential player population. Repeat after me:
[SPOILER-BOX]PSO-World is not representative of the overall potential player population.[/SPOILER-BOX]
Stop pretending to yourselves that PSO-World means everything to the face of EN PSO2. It's been stated before that some people don't want to deal with fan patches, the very things that the EN population at large on JP PSO2 is reliant on. On the other hand, let me point out something else that might just blow your minds:
[SPOILER-BOX]There's probably a sizable amount of potential players that probably doesn't even know that the game even exists![/SPOILER-BOX]
PSO-World is not the end-all community for EN PSO2 players. No, really, it isn't. There's a whole world worth of people outside of PSO-World to take into consideration. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of potential players are out there.

Also, I hate--no, despise--how some of you really try to up-play how many foreigners are actually playing on PSO2 JP in relation to the total population. You want some numbers? Have some numbers (albeit only rough estimates).
[SPOILER-BOX]Front page active users statistic: 2,385 active users in the last 30 days (I'll round this to 2,400)
Last known account milestone on PSO2 JP: 2,500,000

Let's assume that all 2,400 active PSOW users are playing JP PSO2 and have one account (as I don't have any way to estimate alternate/duplicate accounts).

2400 divided by 2.5 million = 0.096%

Yeah, I know using the active account statistic from PSO-World isn't entirely representative of the current EN population, but it's all I have to work with. The account milestone number is the last one I remember hearing, so it's probably not all too accurate (considering the stats I have access to, it's more of an assumption, really), but it gives you a rough idea of what we're looking at.[/SPOILER-BOX]
And that's not even taking duplicate/alternate accounts into consideration! We're only about 0.1% of the population on PSO2 JP, give or take! Sure, on its own, it's a pretty sizable number, but compared to the JP player population (including a margin of error for other possible scenarios), that's still ~2.495 million other JP accounts! It's still just a drop in the bucket at the end of the day!

Anyway, that's all I have the patience for. I doubt I'll post in this thread again, but I hope this makes some of you think about the bigger picture, if nothing else.

Zipzo
Aug 11, 2013, 07:59 AM

God can we please not backpedal to the year 2011 when we did nothing but speculate the game coming out on systems the developers themselves stated the game would not release on, nor did they even have plans to. Please. Just stop.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't make a post like this, but this time, I have to. I have to get this off my chest, because the things I see in these kinds of threads are disturbing at times. That's right. I hate this thread and others like it, I really do.

All sorts of misinformation, prejudice, and downright ignorant things come out when one of these threads pops up. In fact, in discussing about this matter with another person just moments ago, I begin to realize just how stupid some of the stances/arguments made here really are.

Oh, incoming mind explosion from the all knowing I'm guessing, based on this eye opening thesis I'm sure...

Whenever someone says that "the EN version is only going to launch with x content" and whatnot, they're pulling that out of their ass and flaunting it around as fact when, in reality, we don't know what the plans are. We couldn't possibly know unless you're a god-damned time traveler, in which case I (along with probably everyone else here) have a million things to ask you. All time travelers in this thread, raise your hands!

...No one? Exactly my point. I know I gave literally zero time for anyone to respond to that, but let's be honest: anyone who can travel through time would have better things to do than hang around on the internet.

Anyone who uses past experience to say that EN PSO2 is going to fail is somewhat misguided. I won't say that past experience has zero influence on how things are going to play out (obviously, those with bad experiences won't play or will hold off to see how things go), but you're really up-playing exactly how much influence that has. Do we know if the core management team is similar to PSO? To PSU? No, we don't. Do we know anything about the relationship between the current EN and JP PSO2 teams? No, we don't.

Misguided? Are you for real? How much experience do you have with this company? Do you know anything about about how the Sega of America has mistreated the Phantasy Star franchise abroad? Do you live under a rock or something?

Nobody knows for sure anything. All anybody can do is speculate, and so that's what people do. When you speculate and make educated guesses you have one solid source to go off of, the only real source necessary to make an educated guess : the company's past performance with that exact franchise. Not to mention coupled with personal experience. I'm quite sure everyone is wishing in to the heavens that SEGA will bounce the game out in their country, fresh faced with non-existent blemishes, but there is at least 10 different proverbs that advise one to learn from the past, in some form or another.

To not be wary of a company like Sega of America at this point is not only silly to think about, it's foolish as a consumer. That's you, by the way.

So no, while nobody here can likely be deemed a time traveler, there's nothing in the book of economics that says consumers can't speculate based on SEGA's previous performance on a product they plan to utilize (or even spend tons of money on). In fact, it encourages it. Buyer beware. SEGA earned their sign.

People keep saying that everyone who wants to play is already playing on the JP servers. Anyone who's saying that is biased to all hell for one reason or another. PSO-World is not representative of the overall potential player population. Repeat after me:
[SPOILER-BOX]PSO-World is not representative of the overall potential player population.[/SPOILER-BOX]
Stop pretending to yourselves that PSO-World means everything to the face of EN PSO2. It's been stated before that some people don't want to deal with fan patches, the very things that the EN population at large on JP PSO2 is reliant on. On the other hand, let me point out something else that might just blow your minds:
[SPOILER-BOX]There's probably a sizable amount of potential players that probably doesn't even know that the game even exists![/SPOILER-BOX]
PSO-World is not the end-all community for EN PSO2 players. No, really, it isn't. There's a whole world worth of people outside of PSO-World to take into consideration. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of potential players are out there.

Also, I hate--no, despise--how some of you really try to up-play how many foreigners are actually playing on PSO2 JP in relation to the total population. You want some numbers? Have some numbers (albeit only rough estimates).
[SPOILER-BOX]Front page active users statistic: 2,385 active users in the last 30 days (I'll round this to 2,400)
Last known account milestone on PSO2 JP: 2,500,000

Let's assume that all 2,400 active PSOW users are playing JP PSO2 and have one account (as I don't have any way to estimate alternate/duplicate accounts).

2400 divided by 2.5 million = 0.096%

Yeah, I know using the active account statistic from PSO-World isn't entirely representative of the current EN population, but it's all I have to work with. The account milestone number is the last one I remember hearing, so it's probably not all too accurate (considering the stats I have access to, it's more of an assumption, really), but it gives you a rough idea of what we're looking at.[/SPOILER-BOX]
And that's not even taking duplicate/alternate accounts into consideration! We're only about 0.1% of the population on PSO2 JP, give or take! Sure, on its own, it's a pretty sizable number, but compared to the JP player population (including a margin of error for other possible scenarios), that's still ~2.495 million other JP accounts! It's still just a drop in the bucket at the end of the day!

Anyway, that's all I have the patience for. I doubt I'll post in this thread again, but I hope this makes some of you think about the bigger picture, if nothing else.

You should honestly take your own advice. You talk about how PSOW is not indicative of the entire foreign population and then you go and use it as a statistic to measure up its ratio to the native population, really unbiased there chap.

gigawuts
Aug 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
I would love to see PSO2 on WiiU. I will be getting a WiiU for my kids for Christmas. My son and I would have a blast playing PSO2 couch multiplayer. Him on the tv, w/me on the tablet/controller.

Absolutely agreed here. It would be SUCH a good move for Sega to put PSO2 on the Wii U, if Nintendo allows them to connect to the main server (we already know the Xbox won't, never did, and probably never will because they're so freaking stubborn).

If PSO2 hits consoles I'd really much rather see it on the Wii U than the PS3/4, but I won't say both wouldn't be nice.

I mean, the Wii U already has Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which has tremendous crossover with the kinds of fans that would be interested in PSO2. That means not only are there that many potential customers who already have a Wii U, but there's that much more of a reason to get it for those that don't.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

jooozek
Aug 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
with all the policy changes for both sony and microsoft and the fact that both new consoles from the will be x86 based it would be stupid from SEGA to pass on them
i'd understand ignoring wiiu because loltendo and their dumb policies on stuff (apparently, japanese devs still can't submit indie games to their eshop lol)

gigawuts
Aug 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
Wow that's dumb

But if we're comparing it to MS's policy on indy titles...well...

But still. I'm absolutely all in favor of PSO2 hitting consoles - I think it'd be a real boon for the game, especially out here in the west, at least if it's all on one server. If it fragments the community into separate servers, which Xbox and Nintendo might demand, I don't think it's a really good idea. PS3/4 would almost definitely allow it to be on the PC/Vita servers though.

I just don't expect them to do it, though. I mean, the problem with it before was updating the console version was difficult or even impossible (e.g. the PS2 version of PSU). But these days? Consoles have really become PCs in custom cases and with custom OSs. We're all set for it, the only issue is if they think it will be worth the hassle to deal with porting the game, dealing with licensing, what have you.

Wolf_Asari
Aug 11, 2013, 10:42 AM

It's like you're trying to imply SEGA actually learn from their mistakes.

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
It's like you're trying to imply SEGA actually learn from their mistakes.

No. What he/she is saying is, Can't we at least wait until they actually release the dam thing before acting like sega is the spawn of Satan?

Yamishi
Aug 11, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'm approaching a wait-and-see attitude for the EN release. I do have IRL friends who say they don't want to put up with JP Captcha, and want to use their credit cards to buy AC, and so on. Therefore, when if EN PSO2 comes around, I will definitely try it out and see how updates go and see if it's more fun to play with a huge group of friends, as opposed to a huge group of randoms who are more likely to not speak my language (but I'm sure we'll still get BR BR huehue amirite?).

I figure that if EN PSO2 sucks, then I'll have an easier time convincing my friends to switch to JP. And it's not like I'm going to delete all of my PSO2 content on the JP servers the second the EN version comes out.

Basically, I'll play both, and stick with whichever one is more fun.

But if there WERE time travelers here, they would have foreseen your comment and raised their hands in advance.

Mind = blown

NoiseHERO
Aug 11, 2013, 01:21 PM
if it launches with fighter, with post fix fists, I'll play it with...

I wonder how many friends were still waiting for this version...

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm approaching a wait-and-see attitude for the EN release. I do have IRL friends who say they don't want to put up with JP Captcha, and want to use their credit cards to buy AC, and so on. Therefore, when if EN PSO2 comes around, I will definitely try it out and see how updates go and see if it's more fun to play with a huge group of friends, as opposed to a huge group of randoms who are more likely to not speak my language (but I'm sure we'll still get BR BR huehue amirite?).

I figure that if EN PSO2 sucks, then I'll have an easier time convincing my friends to switch to JP. And it's not like I'm going to delete all of my PSO2 content on the JP servers the second the EN version comes out.

Basically, I'll play both, and stick with whichever one is more fun.

But if there WERE time travelers here, they would have foreseen your comment and raised their hands in advance.

Mind = blown

There see, that's the approach people should take. But everyone is so ready to jump the gun.

Zipzo
Aug 11, 2013, 01:36 PM
No. What he/she is saying is, Can't we at least wait until they actually release the dam thing before acting like sega is the spawn of Satan?

I'd like you to quote for me where it's being referred to as the spawn of satan, or even where it's implied then prove to me somehow that you aren't the one overreacting.

blace
Aug 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
Don't people generally compare Sega to the darkest, deepest parts of the abyss?

Seeing as it's been a few days since the thread has been created, I'm surprised to see that it remained civil for the most part.

Zipzo
Aug 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
Don't people generally compare Sega to the darkest, deepest parts of the abyss?

Seeing as it's been a few days since the thread has been created, I'm surprised to see that it remained civil for the most part.

No? They never do?

All people ever say is they have frequently been irresponsible with the franchise making it hard to trust their potential proficiency with running PSO2 in the USA.

It's you and people like Maronji who are exaggerating by acting like people actively refer to SEGA in such ways. They don't.

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
No? They never do?

All people ever say is they have frequently been irresponsible with the franchise making it hard to trust their potential proficiency with running PSO2 in the USA.

It's you and people like Maronji who are exaggerating by acting like people actively refer to SEGA in such ways. They don't.

So you DON'T think that sega of america are a bunch of incompetent fucktards, who pretty much ruin everything and anything that comes from sega of japan?

Huh. Could have fooled me.

blace
Aug 11, 2013, 01:56 PM
No? They never do?

People generally do for anything that is outside of the Sonic franchise. It's not something I've personally said, but the way the others have treated it.

Zipzo
Aug 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
So you DON'T think that sega of america are a bunch of incompetent fucktards, who pretty much ruin everything and anything that comes from sega of japan?

Now you're changing your tune. Being a bunch of incompetent idiots is way more plausible than being spawns of Satan.

I don't want to break your world but...idiots do exist. Is there anyone here that wants SEGA to repeat their failings with PSO, PSOBB, and PSU? I didn't think so.

NintenJon25
Aug 11, 2013, 02:37 PM

Well, the Wii U is region-locked, so no Japanese games can be played on an NA or PAL console.

Honestly, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much here, bud. But if you're getting a Wii U for Christmas, I definitely would recommend checking out Super Mario 3D World and Sonic: Lost World. Both of those games look amazing. :)

Absolutely agreed here. It would be SUCH a good move for Sega to put PSO2 on the Wii U, if Nintendo allows them to connect to the main server (we already know the Xbox won't, never did, and probably never will because they're so freaking stubborn).

If PSO2 hits consoles I'd really much rather see it on the Wii U than the PS3/4, but I won't say both wouldn't be nice.

I mean, the Wii U already has Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which has tremendous crossover with the kinds of fans that would be interested in PSO2. That means not only are there that many potential customers who already have a Wii U, but there's that much more of a reason to get it for those that don't.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Yeah, please don't hold your breath on that.

Right now, the game is just perfect on PC, Vita, and iOS/Android. If it comes out for other platforms in the future, then all the better. :)

with all the policy changes for both sony and microsoft and the fact that both new consoles from the will be x86 based it would be stupid from SEGA to pass on them
i'd understand ignoring wiiu because loltendo and their dumb policies on stuff (apparently, japanese devs still can't submit indie games to their eshop lol)

Microsoft, no. Sony, yes.

Microsoft is known for how terrible they are with handling patches for online games that demand it. Both Nintendo and Sony are known for their quick turnarounds.

If you noticed from the launch of the Wii U, the reason it sold so many units back then in Japan was due to Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate being released on launch day. Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, and Phantasy Star Online are extremely popular titles in Japan, so wherever those games go, a ton of JP gamers go with them.

Other obvious system-sellers are games like Mario and Zelda, both of which have new titles coming out this year on the Wii U. While it has horrendous sales figures at the moment, you honestly can't count it out as of yet.

Phantasy Star Online 2 isn't an indie game. >_>

SEGA of America is not incompetent.

Just because you like a game, it doesn't reserve the need for something like Phantasy Star Online 2 to come stateside.

Right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see SEGA of America actually looking at the marketplace first and seeing how they might take to Phantasy Star Online 2. So far, based from its own initial announcement that it was coming stateside (prior to the announcement of the delay), it doesn't seem like it is garnering the same amount of attention as Phantasy Star Online did back in the day.

People need to learn to accept the harsh reality of business. If SoA puts so much into localizing PSO2 and it ends up not doing well, it could potentially backfire on the whole company.

No self-respecting PS or SEGA fan would ever want something like that to happen. Heck, it's terrible just to wish such tragedy on anybody or anything.

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
Now you're changing your tune. Being a bunch of incompetent idiots is way more plausible than being spawns of Satan.

I don't want to break your world but...idiots do exist. Is there anyone here that wants SEGA to repeat their failings with PSO, PSOBB, and PSU? I didn't think so.

You sure about that? If they did fuck it up, all that would mean to you is that you could stay on the Japanese server like you planned to in the first place.

And additionally you could have it over the nay-Sayers head's that you were right and they were wrong.

Zipzo
Aug 11, 2013, 02:41 PM
You sure about that? If they did fuck it up, all that would mean to you is that you could stay on the Japanese server like you planned to in the first place.

And additionally you could have it over the nay-Sayers head's that you were right and they were wrong.

To that point, I don't care if it succeeds or fails at all, I'm simply saying that the people who constantly chide those who are wary of SoA for being wary are more annoying than the people who are being wary.

People have a reason to be wary. You (or Maronji) don't have a reason to wonder or question why people might be wary. The proof is in the damn pudding.

SEGA of America is not incompetent.

I sort of want to frame this somehow and put it on my wall. Funniest thing I've ever read.

supersonix9
Aug 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
oh it's coming west

let's celebrate!

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
To that point, I don't care if it succeeds or fails at all, I'm simply saying that the people who constantly chide those who are wary of SoA for being wary are more annoying than the people who are being wary.

People have a reason to be wary. You (or Maronji) don't have a reason to wonder or question why people might be wary. The proof is in the damn pudding.

Oh i guess I'm the asshole here, sorry about that. I just thought it was a more intelligent approach to wait and see how things turn out rather than just assume they will do bad due to past experiences.

It was wrong of me to question someone who clearly knows more than i do about sega. Apparently the best approach is to immediately write someone off before they even have a chance to prove themselves.

I guess I learned something new today. Thank you for the lecture and please forgive my insolence.

jooozek
Aug 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
Microsoft, no. Sony, yes.

Microsoft is known for how terrible they are with handling patches for online games that demand it. Both Nintendo and Sony are known for their quick turnarounds.

If you noticed from the launch of the Wii U, the reason it sold so many units back then in Japan was due to Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate being released on launch day. Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, and Phantasy Star Online are extremely popular titles in Japan, so wherever those games go, a ton of JP gamers go with them.

Other obvious system-sellers are games like Mario and Zelda, both of which have new titles coming out this year on the Wii U. While it has horrendous sales figures at the moment, you honestly can't count it out as of yet.

Phantasy Star Online 2 isn't an indie game. >_>
you slept over all the changes microsoft announced? you slept over how microsoft dropped their policy on used games?

as someone who owns a Wii and a NDS the only thing i notice about wii u is that (as you already mentioned) it doesn't sell at all, and hell if i care about some monster hunter tri rehash

also haha as if nintendo allowed PSO2 with all the whore-outfits in it and it being F2P

and yeah, no one ever mentioned PSO2 being indie or anything even remotely close to that, please don't twist words

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 02:57 PM
you slept over all the changes microsoft announced? you slept over how microsoft dropped their policy on used games?

as someone who owns a Wii and a NDS the only thing i notice about wii u is that (as you already mentioned) it doesn't sell at all, and hell if i care about some monster hunter tri rehash

also haha as if nintendo allowed PSO2 with all the whore-outfits in it and it being F2P

and yeah, no one ever mentioned PSO2 being indie or anything even remotely close to that, please don't twist words

The fact that they even tried to do anything like that in the first place, is enough to make me want nothing to do with them.

I mean whose to say they won't try this again?

Zipzo
Aug 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
Oh i guess I'm the asshole here, sorry about that. I just thought it was a more intelligent approach to wait and see how things turn out rather than just assume they will do bad due to past experiences.

It was wrong of me to question someone who clearly knows more than i do about sega. Apparently the best approach is to immediately write someone off before they even have a chance to prove themselves.

I guess I learned something new today. Thank you for the lecture and please forgive my insolence.

A giant Bengal Tiger is hurdling its way towards you. Fangs bared. Eyes sharp. Wait and see how things turn out?

Give SEGA a chance to prove themselves? Did the last 4-5 chances just not happen in your weird little world? Mulligans, all of them?

jooozek
Aug 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
The fact that they even tried to do anything like that in the first place, is enough to make me want nothing to do with them.

and yet you want to let SoA redeem themselves in this thread
double standards ahoy

supersonix9
Aug 11, 2013, 02:59 PM

if they fixed it, it's fixed; don't complain

if it happens again, bitch about it later and not now

Masakan
Aug 11, 2013, 03:03 PM
A giant Bengal Tiger is hurdling its way towards you. Fangs bared. Eyes sharp. Wait and see how things turn out?

Give SEGA a chance to prove themselves? Did the last 4-5 chances just not happen in your weird little world? Mulligans, all of them?

I was in high school at the time, my first personal console was a ps2, with my very first being a nintendo 64. The only sega games that really catch my eye are 3rd party titles like Skies of arcadia, Bayonetta and Jet set radio.

And I didn't even know phantasy star universe even existed until after it shut down.

So yeah. Take that for however you want.

and yet you want to let SoA redeem themselves in this thread
double standards ahoy

The difference being I won't even buy anything xbox related (I won't say microsoft, because i need my pc to even play pso2 for christ sake)

If I'm willing to spend money on a company, i always take the wait and see approach. And I've already stated that if they botch it up, then I won't play it. Period. No JAP version no NA version nothing .

Sega can go fuck themselves if they screw this up.

Totori
Aug 11, 2013, 09:30 PM

This is something I don't get, the previous PS games.

What was wrong with these games?

Phantasy Star Universe- They ended up giving all the content that was nearly on the disc. We got all the story events, so it's not like we were left, with an incomplete game at all.

Phantasy Star Zero- All I heard was some items, were removed. And It was around 4 or so?

Phantasy Star Portable- The first one we didn't get the DLC missions, and dubbing was cut. The second we also didn't get too much of the story events dubbed and the DLC was never released.

What happend here, seems pretty STANDARD for what we get from other niche JRPG's. What makes SEGA so horrible?

Zyrusticae
Aug 11, 2013, 09:48 PM
You kind of missed the part where Phantasy Star Universe launched with LOADS of on-disc content locked away and the game itself was below par to begin with, then there's the part where the English PC/PS2 version got cut away before we even started getting the new stuff that the Japanese players were getting (and we were a year and a half behind in content, at that).

And the part where PSP2 Infinity never came out in the west. Yup.

Totori
Aug 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
You kind of missed the part where Phantasy Star Universe launched with LOADS of on-disc content locked away and the game itself was below par to begin with, then there's the part where the English PC/PS2 version got cut away before we even started getting the new stuff that the Japanese players were getting (and we were a year and a half behind in content, at that).

And the part where PSP2 Infinity never came out in the west. Yup.

No, no. I'm talking about SOA. Not what SOJ had done. The locked on disc content was from SOJ. So how did any of that have to do with SOA?

The game being below par, is what you think I was overly pleased when the game was released all the way to it's death.

I guess I can slightly hand that SOA might of had some fault, because they had to shut the server down. But no one was playing that version beside like what 20 people at the most. It wasn't a smart move to keep that server alive.

gigawuts
Aug 11, 2013, 11:09 PM
They're meant to function as one cohesive unit with the same ultimate goals: profit

it really does not matter who's fucking that up, either SoJ with its alleged xenophobia and whatever or SoA with its alleged inenptitude (and good luck pinning 100% of the blame on either company - that will never be possible)

the fact is all those issues were a result of either one of or both of their actions or inactions

Kion
Aug 12, 2013, 12:13 AM
Make the JP server international.
Add a paypal option to the player site
Have a different patch server for each region

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 01:04 AM
Make the JP server international.
Add a paypal option to the player site
Have a different patch server for each region

That's rather stupid. Where is the server goin' to held in Japan? LAGG MUCH?

What would be the purpose of an international ship? We wouldn't get any technical support, a total disaster. A lot of english and europe players would be left out due to the events that SEGA holds in Japan. How would we participate?

W i n t e r
Aug 12, 2013, 02:27 AM
I feel like they know that alot of the Western players are on the japanese servers and since they took forever to bring it over, they know we invested too much time into our characters to start over. Especially with the patches we have now (Story, Item, Etc)

Kondibon
Aug 12, 2013, 02:32 AM
I feel like they know that alot of the Western players are on the japanese servers and since they took forever to bring it over, they know we invested too much time into our characters to start over. Especially with the patches we have now (Story, Item, Etc)

The people who bring is up seem to forget how small our community is in the grand scheme of things. I know a bunch of people who want to play but don't want to jump through the hurdles to play a version where the majority of the player base speaks a different language, and they have a chance of getting permanently banned with no way to appeal.

Not to mention all the people who simply don't even realize the game exists, let alone is out in Japan, due to Sega's non-existent marketing.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 01:41 PM
That's rather stupid. Where is the server goin' to held in Japan? LAGG MUCH?

What would be the purpose of an international ship? We wouldn't get any technical support, a total disaster. A lot of english and europe players would be left out due to the events that SEGA holds in Japan. How would we participate?

Yeah it's not like there are any MMOs where there's one single server for the entire planet except china and lag isn't an issue and they compensate for massive processing load by...

oh

jooozek
Aug 12, 2013, 01:45 PM
spiral knights handles all the server shit perfectly
they are renting space in Amazon EC2 which is
ALL OVER THE FUCKING WORLD (but they only rent in the NA/EU space because the playerbase is only there prominent)
and you can change in the game between the north american and european servers as much as you want outside of the dungeons
but yeah, that'd require sega to use a cloud unlike the shittier budget solution they use aka their own data center

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah it's not like there are any MMOs where there's one single server for the entire planet except china and lag isn't an issue and they compensate for massive processing load by...

oh

Even if they fix this lag issue, what will SEGA do about customer support? And what about the Japan events, surely there are people who won't understand some of them. Because they feature products, items or places in Japan?

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 02:03 PM
Even if they fix this lag issue, what will SEGA do about customer support? And what about the Japan events, surely there are people who won't understand some of them. Because they feature products, items or places in Japan?

why are you asking a bunch of people on a forum instead of the companies that actually do exactly what you're whining can't/shouldn't/whatever be done?

Thermalwolf
Aug 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
I don't think Sega has much interest in bringing this game to the western market because they know the quality will be stripped in order to make it happen. Ok sure you can fix the quality by investing time and money, but for what, a free to play game ? Then you have to add in the fact that most of the western market does not like pay to win AND does not really feel like spending money of AC for... costumes... Granted I like the costumes and some of the things we can do with AC but I and the rest of us are an extremely small portion of players who enjoy this style of gaming.

In order for PSO2 to work in the western market they will have to come up with an entirely new way to handle and receive money. The game will probably end up being fundamentally different and if that's the case, who's gonna make the switch over just to have a couple extra english players and english item names...

Sega will more then likely admit to cancelling the western release entirely in time.

Unless Sega of America goes under a massive rework of quality and power, there is little chance Sega of Japan is gonna make the move.

In the end I rarely experience any game changing lag. Yea there's always a little lag but nothing that hurts my experience, and when I'm having fun it's not noticeable and nor do I care.

ALSO, if the game moves to a western release, you can almost bet Sega will IP Block to force us to play our own version and then it's game over on all our progress and we will have to play a terribly supported version of PSO2, ultimately degrading the name and Sega itself. Yep, I almost don't even want a western release.

If you wanna play the game, learn a little Japanese or use the patch and deal with some slight lag. If that's too much for some people then maybe you really don't wanna play the game :)

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 03:16 PM
why are you asking a bunch of people on a forum instead of the companies that actually do exactly what you're whining can't/shouldn't/whatever be done?

Because the people on this fourm I'm asking, seem to have this greater way to make PS work. Then the current plan, I have no problem with how SEGA is running this so honestly I'm not whining about anything. Just poking at some obvious holes in the suggestions that are made about this situation.

@Thermalwolf

Actually US loves to spend money, on FTP games. Because it's not a lot of money, it's been something that has been talked about a lot around with FTP games. They collect a lot of cash from the little microtransactions the players make.

This game is far from Pay to Win. The little things you can buy can be found, they aren't anything game breaking.

If you wanna play the game, learn a little Japanese or use the patch and deal with some slight lag. If that's too much for some people then maybe you really don't wanna play the game

That's rather a nuisance just to learn a language to play a game, and the game is pretty simple to where you don't need to read it honestly.

Also we have no proof that SEGA will add a IP block to the JP side. Most likely they won't as PSU nor the others had that to go with it.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
Because the people on this fourm I'm asking, seem to have this greater way to make PS work. Then the current plan, I have no problem with how SEGA is running this so honestly I'm not whining about anything. Just poking at some obvious holes in the suggestions that are made about this situation.

But the answers are obvious. If they go international they're obviously going to hire people who can speak multiple languages or look into decent translation software. How will they deal with lag? I play from across the planet and have essentially zero lag whatsoever because all of the combat and things that involve reaction time are handled client-side. See for yourself - disconnect your modem in an MPA and let me know if the enemies keep walking around and attacking you with the 630 notice on your screen. They can VERY easily start using holidays from multiple different regions and focusing on made up holidays as well.

This "better way" is such a fan favorite that they launched PSO1 with it and announced PSO2 as being it.

These holes you're poking at are comparable to me saying "Actually, I think I'll make a cake tonight instead of brownies" and you blurting out "BUT YOU DON'T HAVE CAKE MIX HOW ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE IT?" Jesus I dunno maybe I'll go to the fucking store and buy some?

Zipzo
Aug 12, 2013, 03:42 PM
But the answers are obvious. If they go international they're obviously going to hire people who can speak multiple languages or look into decent translation software. How will they deal with lag? I play from across the planet and have essentially zero lag whatsoever because all of the combat and things that involve reaction time are handled client-side. See for yourself - disconnect your modem in an MPA and let me know if the enemies keep walking around and attacking you with the 630 notice on your screen. They can VERY easily start using holidays from multiple different regions and focusing on made up holidays as well.

This "better way" is such a fan favorite that they launched PSO1 with it and announced PSO2 as being it.

These holes you're poking at are comparable to me saying "Actually, I think I'll make a cake tonight instead of brownies" and you blurting out "BUT YOU DON'T HAVE CAKE MIX HOW ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE IT?" Jesus I dunno maybe I'll go to the fucking store and buy some?

Store is closed Gigawutts. You have a fever and you can't leave your bed. Take that.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
www.amazon.com

Zipzo
Aug 12, 2013, 03:48 PM
www.amazon.com

Can't go wrong with pancakes.

http://tinyurl.com/n2ocv57

ShinMaruku
Aug 12, 2013, 03:56 PM

You never know who you are talking to. Could be the NSA :E

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 04:21 PM

It's not obvious going "international" will cause SEGA to work the current plan they have for the game around. They have new issues that will pop up. Such as legal issues, this is going to cost SEGA way more money having to hire and train more employees, so they can communicate with the development team properly.

They wouldn't ever consider that.

Also they would have to adjust the prices for the AC rate. Everyone's currency is valued differently, so to make it fair, would in turn take much more work.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
those are such inconsequential non-issues that I cannot even grasp the concept of someone bringing them up on a forum when discussing this topic

like, for real

these are things handled constantly already by tons of game companies why in the actual fuck are you even talking about them?

Emp
Aug 12, 2013, 04:39 PM
It's not obvious going "international" will cause SEGA to work the current plan they have for the game around. They have new issues that will pop up. Such as legal issues, this is going to cost SEGA way more money having to hire and train more employees, so they can communicate with the development team properly.

Also they would have to adjust the prices for the AC rate. Everyone's currency is valued differently, so to make it fair, would in turn take much more work.

All those issues dont come close to the main issue at hand: Will Sega actually try to market pso2 and do it well outside of Asia?

Zipzo
Aug 12, 2013, 04:40 PM

It's sort of like saying...

"Well you know, making a game is pretty tough work!"

Uh yeah...but look at all the games we have, why do you believe there is any reason people should be apologetic?

Mewnie
Aug 12, 2013, 05:14 PM
Gamers, literally the most entitled people on the planet.

This is all really amusing- please, keep posting guys!

ArcaneTechs
Aug 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
oh man this thread just turned around quickly haha people who don't know a thing on how companies get these things going/server/lag/customer support oh man i definitely feel Giga's pain. It's almost like arguing with a 2 year old about whats his favorite color

Rekku
Aug 12, 2013, 06:10 PM
Every time EN PSO2 comes up

everyone gets a business degree.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
Every time an internet discussion comes up somebody comes up and belittles what is seriously common freaking sense by insinuating anyone who exhibits common sense is overestimating their knowledge on a topic.

Seriously, how is it anything beyond common sense that if they need people that speak foreign languages that, cripes, they might hire some?

kazuma56
Aug 12, 2013, 06:21 PM
Wait....do i sense that they are taking about the Vita version and not the PC?

"and doing very well on Vita in Japan. We will bring that game to the Western market at some point"

if so...I guess we know what sony plans on showing at gamescon come the end of the month....

Mewnie
Aug 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
Seriously, how is it anything beyond common sense that if they need people that speak foreign languages that, cripes, they might hire some?

Because everything would be solved if they just hired someone that could speak English! :???:

:lol:

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
Because everything would be solved if they just hired someone that could speak English! :???:

:lol:

Those are some phenomenal deductive skills you have there, in that you're reading between words that don't say that to find the underlying message that still does not say that.

By "phenomenal" I mean "complete shit."

But if dicking around on a forum and putting words in peoples' mouths is your thing, hey, keep going.

Masakan
Aug 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
Wait....do i sense that they are taking about the Vita version and not the PC?

"and doing very well on Vita in Japan. We will bring that game to the Western market at some point"

if so...I guess we know what sony plans on showing at gamescon come the end of the month....

Dude. If that were the case that would be like one of the biggest rip offs I have ever seen.

Thermalwolf
Aug 12, 2013, 07:40 PM

@Thermalwolf

Actually US loves to spend money, on FTP games. Because it's not a lot of money, it's been something that has been talked about a lot around with FTP games. They collect a lot of cash from the little microtransactions the players make.

This game is far from Pay to Win. The little things you can buy can be found, they aren't anything game breaking.

If you wanna play the game, learn a little Japanese or use the patch and deal with some slight lag. If that's too much for some people then maybe you really don't wanna play the game

That's rather a nuisance just to learn a language to play a game, and the game is pretty simple to where you don't need to read it honestly.

Also we have no proof that SEGA will add a IP block to the JP side. Most likely they won't as PSU nor the others had that to go with it.

Guess I raged there but don't get me wrong, I understand we love Free to Play, especially in this Economy at the moment.

Also it might be a nuisance but there's nothing wrong with spending some quality time learning something new, something a lot of people don't seem to care to do anymore... Granted that might come from the added fact a lot of us Americans need to work more to live, but we are still playing on JP servers and out of respect it's something we should do IMHO.

While there is no proof AND PSU didn't IP Block, PSU was not FTP. The fact that PSO2 is FTP and thrives on us buying AC is an absolute game changer. While I would like to believe Sega would never do such a thing, the past has nothing to do with the present and given this games way to make money, it would only hurt Sega not to IP Block once a western release is realized.

In the end I truly hope for the best but at this point too much is up in the air at the moment :/

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 08:09 PM
Every time an internet discussion comes up somebody comes up and belittles what is seriously common freaking sense by insinuating anyone who exhibits common sense is overestimating their knowledge on a topic.

My, my, my, you amuse me with the language skills you choose to use, so I won't rest my case. hiring others cost something called money and when you have something called a budget. It would be smart to not make unnessary decisions, that might end up costing you more.

But I guess you can't seem to figure that one out, shame really.

Most companies would like to advoid the extra hassle of having to manage a multi-languaged playerbase. I could only image it's cause more problems. Here's another reason, that doesn't exactly make an International Ship possible. Each countries, stance on certain content we all have slightly different laws, and if SEGA wants to make content they'll have to check if that's okay with all the players regions involved, to make sure they aren't breaking any rules and have lawsuits flying left and right.

Zipzo
Aug 12, 2013, 08:12 PM
My, my, my, you amuse me with the language skills you choose to use, so I won't rest my case. hiring others cost something called money and when you have something called a budget. It would be smart to not make unnessary decisions, that might end up costing you more.

Most companies would like to advoid the extra hassle of having to manage a multi-languaged playerbase. I could only image it's cause more problems. Here's another reason, that doesn't exactly make an International Ship possible. Each countries, stance on certain content we all have slightly different laws, and if SEGA wants to make content they'll have to check if that's okay with all the players regions involved, to make sure they aren't breaking any rules and have lawsuits flying left and right.

Explain : Phantasy Star Online DC/GC.

supersonix9
Aug 12, 2013, 08:13 PM

oh my god that was good

is that tone really necessary for like, anything at all

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 08:44 PM

what

oh

I

but games make money and

nevermind

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Explain : Phantasy Star Online DC/GC.

You mean the game that wasn't being constantly updated with content that wasn't on the disc. Also PSO DC had a short release date overseas, I would have to guess because it was developed for that, in compairing that to PSO2. PSO is a small game.

But who knows...

@gigawuts

^_^

Reiketsu
Aug 12, 2013, 09:02 PM
But if dicking around on a forum and putting words in peoples' mouths is your thing, hey, keep going.

It's ironic how you of all people say that, because that's exactly what you like to do yourself.
Instead of reading what people actually say you just make shit up and put words into their mouths however you feel like.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
It's ironic how you of all people say that, because that's exactly what you like to do yourself.
Instead of reading what people actually say you just make shit up and put words into their mouths however you feel like.

Why do you think I said it?

Sayara
Aug 12, 2013, 09:43 PM
Alright, Alright knock that off already. Get back to the original discussion at hand, or just end this discussion in general.

Zipzo
Aug 12, 2013, 09:46 PM
You mean the game that wasn't being constantly updated with content that wasn't on the disc. Also PSO DC had a short release date overseas, I would have to guess because it was developed for that, in compairing that to PSO2. PSO is a small game.

But who knows...

@gigawuts

^_^

The fact of the matter is that game somehow broke all these complicated barriers that you describe as being harshly difficult to work out in the current day, and as you just pointed out for me, was poorly run.

I'm pretty sure SEGA hasn't devolved since then, so international servers probably aren't so far beyond the scope of possibility as you like to implicate.

I'm not denying the existence of complicated factors, I'm just saying that you don't know what you're talking about.

NoiseHERO
Aug 12, 2013, 09:49 PM
Alright, Alright knock that off already. Get back to the original discussion at hand, or just end this discussion in general.

Just end it, there'll be 5 more threads like this before april ends! : D

darkwraith007
Aug 12, 2013, 10:16 PM
The most important quote (to me) from the interview:

We wrapped it all up last summer. All those changes reorganised us around the core IP – Football Manager, Sonic, Total War and Aliens – and that has worked well.
But the big news since was that we bought THQ’s studio Relic. One of the goals when we restructured was to add to our IPs and now we have Company of Heroes and Warhammer alongside the other four pillars.

So the games they're focusing on are:
-Football Manager (huge in Europe so kudos to them for recognizing they control that niche market)
-Sonic (lol, but recent games have been better than usual; they need to make more quality and less quantity)
-Total War (meh; has had good sales but fans aren't exactly whining about lack of support for this SP game)
-Aliens (this has to be a fucking joke; remember Aliens Colonial Marine?)
-Company of Heroes (nice, good niche but it is a niche market; people sick of WW2 already)
-Warhammer (nice property; tons of fans hate how it has been handled via the terribad MMO that failed)

Notice no mention of Phantasy Star as a 'pillar'? It just gets thrown in about how profitable the F2P model is in Japan and 'maybe' in the West.
That should give you a taste of how much SEGA doesn't give a shit about anyone but their own markets.

I agree that by the time they get off their asses and half-ass a release in the West, there won't be a market left for it. 99% of players who really wanted to play it are already on the JP servers. The others who want to wait for it will be hateful at how SEGA NA will mess up and be several patches behind JP version.

This shit happens *EVERY* fucking Asian-developed MMO. People need to pull their heads out of their damn asses and realize this.
Don't get your hopes up. PSO2 in US will not be any better than any of the past shit that SEGA NA has done. It'll be several patches behind, way overpriced cash shop, zero support, tons of hackers/cheaters, and generally unplayable.

Totori
Aug 12, 2013, 10:20 PM
The fact of the matter is that game somehow broke all these complicated barriers that you describe as being harshly difficult to work out in the current day, and as you just pointed out for me, was poorly run.

I'm pretty sure SEGA hasn't devolved since then, so international servers probably aren't so far beyond the scope of possibility as you like to implicate.

I'm not denying the existence of complicated factors, I'm just saying that you don't know what you're talking about.

That could be true, but do take note that PSO is not as complicated or as diverse as it's sequel. The servers were easier to put up. And I bet not as expensive to handle. Also remember that PSO DC didn't get any new content, then what was already on the disc.

Unlike PSO2 where, new content is constantly being made for the game. So budget for PSO would be quite different from the budget that PSO2 has. Another thing PSO only had a subscription fee (or was DC free, I can't remember) but it didn't have a Cashshop where SEGA accepted microtransactions.

This shit happens *EVERY* fucking Asian-developed MMO. People need to pull their heads out of their damn asses and realize this.
Don't get your hopes up. PSO2 in US will not be any better than any of the past shit that SEGA NA has done. It'll be several patches behind, way overpriced cash shop, zero support, tons of hackers/cheaters, and generally unplayable.

Of course the games, gonna be behind. It's constantly being worked on. Zero Support, that's not gonna happen. Way overpriced cash shops? Honestly it's gonna be cheaper than what people are paying for things on the JP side.

Hackers come and go, it's up to the playerbase to report them. Not have a social if they want them to disappear. So how exactly is the game gonna be unplayable?

Gardios
Aug 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
Notice no mention of Phantasy Star as a 'pillar'? It just gets thrown in about how profitable the F2P model is in Japan and 'maybe' in the West.
That should give you a taste of how much SEGA doesn't give a shit about anyone but their own markets.

The PS series is hardly one of their major IPs in the west—saying it is would've been a blatant lie.

Masakan
Aug 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
The most important quote (to me) from the interview:

So the games they're focusing on are:
-Football Manager (huge in Europe so kudos to them for recognizing they control that niche market)
-Sonic (lol, but recent games have been better than usual; they need to make more quality and less quantity)
-Total War (meh; has had good sales but fans aren't exactly whining about lack of support for this SP game)
-Aliens (this has to be a fucking joke; remember Aliens Colonial Marine?)
-Company of Heroes (nice, good niche but it is a niche market; people sick of WW2 already)
-Warhammer (nice property; tons of fans hate how it has been handled via the terribad MMO that failed)

I agree that by the time they get off their asses and half-ass a release in the West, there won't be a market left for it. 99% of players who really wanted to play it are already on the JP servers. The others who want to wait for it will be hateful at how SEGA NA will mess up and be several patches behind JP version.

So you expect me to believe that every asian mmo that ever comes to the us is a failure because westerners don't know how to market it properly?

If that isn't the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

SquashDemon
Aug 12, 2013, 11:35 PM
It's not that westerners don't know how to market it properly, it's that they -Don't- when they -Could-

Now, honestly, if we do see a western release that is on schedule with JP patches and maybe only one month behind new content? That'd be phenomenal.

But, as many others have already stated, operations like that cost both labor dollars, on the behalf of your programming team, Legal dollars, to ensure that you're not using licensed IPs that you don't own the rights to in certain countries, and of course, Talent Dollars to get a whole slew of voice actors, and, for consistency's sake, keep them on retainer for when new story episodes come out.

That all adds up to a fat stack of moolah. Money that Sega of Europe and Sega of America MAY NOT BE GETTING BACK.

As I am not of either organization, I can't really state their financial standing, but I am of the impression that they are self-funded, rather than supported by a share of SOJ's budget. Assuming this is the case, and being that SOA and SEU are not drawing much revenue from the Phantasy Star Series in any form, it is likely that spending all that money may be considered somewhat wasteful, and that said dollars (or Euros, if you insist) would be better spent snorting cocaine out of the bellybutton of an Indonesian hooker.

With this in mind, Launching and maintaining a truly worthy PSO2 port, much as I am loath to admit it, is what I believe they call in the business world "a really fucking stupid idea."

Now then, the same can be said for almost every movie that Micheal Bay has worked on, and he's richer than I'll ever be, so I guess it's not completely impossible that it might happen. /la disgust

ArcaneTechs
Aug 12, 2013, 11:44 PM

a thousand times this, it's hilarious

Masakan
Aug 12, 2013, 11:47 PM
It's not that westerners don't know how to market it properly, it's that they -Don't- when they -Could-

Now, honestly, if we do see a western release that is on schedule with JP patches and maybe only one month behind new content? That'd be phenomenal.

But, as many others have already stated, operations like that cost both labor dollars, on the behalf of your programming team, Legal dollars, to ensure that you're not using licensed IPs that you don't own the rights to in certain countries, and of course, Talent Dollars to get a whole slew of voice actors, and, for consistency's sake, keep them on retainer for when new story episodes come out.

That all adds up to a fat stack of moolah. Money that Sega of Europe and Sega of America MAY NOT BE GETTING BACK.

As I am not of either organization, I can't really state their financial standing, but I am of the impression that they are self-funded, rather than supported by a share of SOJ's budget. Assuming this is the case, and being that SOA and SEU are not drawing much revenue from the Phantasy Star Series in any form, it is likely that spending all that money may be considered somewhat wasteful, and that said dollars (or Euros, if you insist) would be better spent snorting cocaine out of the bellybutton of an Indonesian hooker.

With this in mind, Launching and maintaining a truly worthy PSO2 port, much as I am loath to admit it, is what I believe they call in the business world "a really fucking stupid idea."

Now then, the same can be said for almost every movie that Micheal Bay has worked on, and he's richer than I'll ever be, so I guess it's not completely impossible that it might happen. /la disgust

Now I've been meaning to ask this for a while but, WHY would it not be very marketable in the west?

You would think with all the carbon copy fantasy mmos out there a Sci-fi mmo would stick out like a sore thumb?

MetalDude
Aug 13, 2013, 12:22 AM
I don't know why everyone is so incessant to argue to this degree. It's very simple:

-SoA and SoJ have a very... let's say, unstable and unhealthy relationship.
-Every localized version of an online PS game, regardless of market performance, has been handled very poorly.

With these points in mind, it shouldn't even be a matter to consider what it's going to take to get PSO2 over here. It in all likelihood is going to be vastly inferior to the JP version.

SakuRei
Aug 13, 2013, 12:29 AM
Now I've been meaning to ask this for a while but, WHY would it not be very marketable in the west?

You would think with all the carbon copy fantasy mmos out there a Sci-fi mmo would stick out like a sore thumb?

SoA might not want to take risks anymore, since of what happened to PSU (as people say here or from what I've heard on my friends who played PSU as well), since FPS and console games rule around the western country, mmorpg will I guess get the most tiniest benefit through gaming basis on the west... (as of what I've heard.) :-?

Zipzo
Aug 13, 2013, 01:34 AM
Going through Sony for multi-regional servers has even recently proved to not be impossible. Look at the upcoming Everquest game.

As SquashDemon has sort of beautifully explained, it's likely that PSO2 is going through a huge risk assessment process before it releases in the USA. This could easily be based on past Phantasy Star performance in the USA itself.

In a round-a-bout way, it's the USA's fault they may not get it more than SEGA's, if you think about it. Not your fault specifically of course...but the overall majority opinion on such a game speaks quite loud and clear I suppose (and in this world, money is what talks).

Though I'm getting tired of people saying the West is "ruled by" FPS's and console bro gamers because that's completely untrue when games like League of Legends are the most played game on the planet.

Squall179
Aug 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
I don't know why everyone is so incessant to argue to this degree. It's very simple:

-SoA and SoJ have a very... let's say, unstable and unhealthy relationship.
-Every localized version of an online PS game, regardless of market performance, has been handled very poorly.

With these points in mind, it shouldn't even be a matter to consider what it's going to take to get PSO2 over here. It in all likelihood is going to be vastly inferior to the JP version.

Not just localizations of Phantasy Star games.

Sega handled Armored Core 4's release in the NA Region, if anyone has played That particular one......

Masakan
Aug 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
Not just localizations of Phantasy Star games.

Sega handled Armored Core 4's release in the NA Region, if anyone has played That particular one......

4 or 4 answer? Because I really liked 4 answer.

Rekku
Aug 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
99% of players who really wanted to play it are already on the JP servers.

Yo

Y'all need to stop saying this. How many times have we mentioned in this thread that we, PSO-World, are not representative of the entire fanbase? That we are not representative of every potential Phantasy Star fan, who hasn't heard of the game?

Somewhere we came up with a statistic of like 2400 active users on here or something. Hahaha you're gonna tell me that like 2300 people give or take make up the entire international community in the game haha lol

On another note, will all business majors please raise their hand
We need to know who to take seriously in regards to analyzing the decisions and happenings in the world of SEGA

Zipzo
Aug 13, 2013, 06:15 PM
Yo

Y'all need to stop saying this. How many times have we mentioned in this thread that we, PSO-World, are not representative of the entire fanbase? That we are not representative of every potential Phantasy Star fan, who hasn't heard of the game?

Somewhere we came up with a statistic of like 2400 active users on here or something. Hahaha you're gonna tell me that like 2300 people give or take make up the entire international community in the game haha lol

We need to know who to take seriously in regards to analyzing the decisions and happenings in the world of SEGA

Last time I checked PSO-W doesn't require a business degree in order to voice your opinion.

Magus_84
Aug 13, 2013, 06:16 PM

Taking business majors seriously.

I lol'ed IRL.

Rekku
Aug 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
Last time I checked PSO-W doesn't require a business degree in order to voice your opinion.Well, first of all it's just a joke, I mean no harm

Secondly, I don't mind actual opinions, but the comments here are revolving on business decisions and whether they work, whether they don't work, what SEGA should do, what they shouldn't do, who they should deal with, where to make money, all the kinds of stuff I learned about when I took a business class a month ago. The average person, including myself, isn't exactly qualified to give such advice - not to mention we don't know anything about SEGA's internal operations, their finances, how much money they have to spend on any given game, their plans for future and current games - publicly available information doesn't tell us enough. Unless I'm missing something, we don't know for certain what SEGA is doing and what they have yet to do regarding localization of this one game, we can only speculate, so when the average gamer comes in here spouting so-called facts about what SEGA is trying to do or should do or wants to do etc., it only causes unneeded flaming and arguments that we truly know little about.

GuardianGirth
Aug 13, 2013, 06:31 PM
Anyone who doesn't play the game now, doesn't want to play it enough and they're just a waste of time. The end.
Anyone who thinks Non JP versions of this game will be any benefit over what we're playing now are naive. The end.

SquashDemon
Aug 13, 2013, 06:34 PM

I never said it wouldn't be marketable, I said there's no guarantee it'd generate enough revenue to turn a profit, or break even, and it's no stretch to say that there's a large amount of risk involved in doing an international launch that was actually...well, GOOD.

...which might also explain why ports of the past have been handled so godawfulterrihorribily. Safer to spend less money on a shitty port than a lot on a good port. That way if the game doesn't sell in the international market, you can chalk it up to the audience being a buncha brogamers who only care about "Brown Color Filtered War Game 5: This time, the guns have guns." And use that as justification to not give a shit over anything that isn't at least relatively similar to what is currently making your business peers gigantic golden towers filled with ALL of the money.

Sure it's an oversimplified caricature of how an actual business works, but the basic building blocks of fact are all there...somewhere.

...I'm tired of making sense now, bye!

kevlar_pso
Aug 13, 2013, 09:23 PM
Yo

"99% of everyone that wanted to play would be playing/would have played" is incredibly wrong. I played PSO on DC, Gamecube, Xbox and some on BB. I know that more than half my XBL friends list would play PSO2 if it saw a western release. Not to mention all the kids that have become gamers since the last official PSO servers were shut down. I have a son who would play every day, and he would spread the word to all his friends that he plays Minecraft & Halo with, plus his classmates. Plus I got my co-workers into PSU on 360 when I was stuck playing PSO. I have every reason to believe PSO2 could work here.

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic about PSO2 succeeding in the west. I would have been playing PSO2 myself by now, but I had to finish my degree. Now I am trying to get a job in my chosen field. I could easily see myself giving SEGA more per month than when I had Hunter's Licenses for both Gamecube and Xbox. It's a little more than frustrating to see all these Debbie Downers post in this thread.

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
"99% of everyone that wanted to play would be playing/would have played" is incredibly wrong. I played PSO on DC, Gamecube, Xbox and some on BB. I know that more than half my XBL friends list would play PSO2 if it saw a western release. Not to mention all the kids that have become gamers since the last official PSO servers were shut down. I have a son who would play every day, and he would spread the word to all his friends that he plays Minecraft & Halo with, plus his classmates. Plus I got my co-workers into PSU on 360 when I was stuck playing PSO. I have every reason to believe PSO2 could work here.

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic about PSO2 succeeding in the west. I would have been playing PSO2 myself by now, but I had to finish my degree. Now I am trying to get a job in my chosen field. I could easily see myself giving SEGA more per month than when I had Hunter's Licenses for both Gamecube and Xbox. It's a little more than frustrating to see all these Debbie Downers post in this thread.

We arent being downers. Based off Segas track record with poor advertising and effort with localizations, it is better off playing the japanese version. After the localization, it will mostly be the NA/EU experiencing outdated content.

Tbh I really dont understand why some refuse to play it even when there is a patch that is updated almost weekly.

Gardios
Aug 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
Tbh I really dont understand why some refuse to play it even when there is a patch that is updated almost weekly.

There's a huge difference between playing a foreign game that is fan translated and a localized game. I know plenty that want to play it, but are waiting because they actually want to understand the people they're playing with. That's a perfectly valid reason.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 09:50 PM

Because not everyone is a colossal unachieving neckbeard that would rather learn half of a new language to play a video game and do little more with that new skill than accomplish something with their time.

Yeah I went there. That describes most of this forum, myself included.

Yutaka20
Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 PM
it's old news but here .
http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/06/phantasy-star-online-2-southeast-asia-publisher-announced/
be happy about ur EN version PSO2 and also be sad about it ;P
don't ask me why :p
just ask everyone else .1000 reason will be given to u.
i personally will be sticking to jp pso2
content will be sure to be fast and efficently coming.
costume and sexy ones especially,wont be restricted.
afterall ,they are open to this sort of content

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
Because not everyone is a colossal unachieving neckbeard that would rather learn half of a new language to play a video game and do little more with that new skill than accomplish something with their time.

You dont need to learn the language. If you arent satisified with the patch that some ppl like AIDA work on, you seem like an ungrateful kid. All you need to do is get together with ppl in a community like psow within the game and you should be more than ok.

You only need to know common courtesy phrases for jp. How to greet them, thank them for party and ask them if they want to join you/or if you could join them. And of course know how to lreform codes/quests correctly (that comes with some practice)

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 10:12 PM
"All you need to do"

That is way more work than what people with real life jobs and responsibilities need or want in a video game.

You know, what you do when you're done working for the day. Hell, you don't even need a job to not want to do any of that in a video game.

People want to be able to talk in the lobbies they log in to without japanese players telling them to go to block 20 with all the other idiot foreigners. They want to have an english block where people know how to actually run MPAs instead of dicking around being complete morons and weak bulleting trash mobs instead of the boss that just spawned with gear that was bad two difficulties ago. Time for falz? Time for 15 minute hand runs and people running out of moons during elder.

People don't want it to be in the EULA that sega can ban them whenever they want just because they're in the wrong time zone, they want customer service that will not completely ignore them because of their IP range, and they want to be able to read patch notes without using google translate - and you shouldn't be thinking any of this is even a little bit unreasonable.

An ungrateful kid? Don't even.

We are all going against the grain. We are not normal for playing this game. We are going way above and beyond what is standard fare for playing a video game.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 13, 2013, 10:14 PM
Did I mention arrows of lies

Zyrusticae
Aug 13, 2013, 10:31 PM

You could apply that same line of thinking to sports fans (what's productive about obsessing over scores and numbers like that?), and it's a mainstream activity, so...

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
"All you need to do"

That is way more work than what people with real life jobs and responsibilities need or want in a video game.

You know, what you do when you're done working for the day. Hell, you don't even need a job to not want to do any of that in a video game.

People want to be able to talk in the lobbies they log in to without japanese players telling them to go to block 20 with all the other idiot foreigners. They want to have an english block where people know how to actually run MPAs instead of dicking around being complete morons and weak bulleting trash mobs instead of the boss that just spawned with gear that was bad two difficulties ago. Time for falz? Time for 15 minute hand runs and people running out of moons during elder.

People don't want it to be in the EULA that sega can ban them whenever they want just because they're in the wrong time zone, they want customer service that will not completely ignore them because of their IP range, and they want to be able to read patch notes without using google translate - and you shouldn't be thinking any of this is even a little bit unreasonable.

An ungrateful kid? Don't even.

We are all going against the grain. We are not normal for playing this game. We are going way above and beyond what is standard fare for playing a video game.

Going against the grain? Sounds like something cut out of the story book of life. Either take the risk or please continue to complain on communities like psow while Sega and Sakai proceed to prolong the western release.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
You could apply that same line of thinking to sports fans (what's productive about obsessing over scores and numbers like that?), and it's a mainstream activity, so...

Yeah, I could. And watch me do it right now:

Tons of people like to watch football, and pay to watch football, that do not neckbeard it up over teams, player stats, tactics, face painting, or any number of things. Yet they are still paying customers, and if you force them to deal with a whole ton of extra hassles like having to apply a patch every week to understand the announcer or risking a ban just because they're white they'll just say fuck it and watch soccer on broadcast TV instead.

Going against the grain? Sounds like something cut out of the story book of life. Either take the risk or please continue to complain on communities like psow while Sega and Sakai proceed to prolong the western release.

These people aren't complaining. Tons of people who would play the game don't even know it exists. Story book of life? Are you even for real? Since when do we talk about PSO2 like it takes up our entire...

Oh, right. Neckbeards.

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I could. And watch me do it right now:

Tons of people like to watch football, and pay to watch football, that do not neckbeard it up over teams, player stats, tactics, face painting, or any number of things. Yet they are still paying customers, and if you force them to deal with a whole ton of extra hassles like having to apply a patch every week to understand the announcer or risking a ban just because they're white they'll just say fuck it and watch soccer on broadcast TV instead.

These people aren't complaining. Tons of people who would play the game don't even know it exists. Story book of life? Are you even for real? Since when do we talk about PSO2 like it takes up our entire...

Oh, right. Neckbeards.

This just fuels my hate for incompetent impatient ppl.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 10:48 PM

I don't think you've actually understood a word I've said here, so to say the feeling is mutual would be...an overstatement because I'm used to this by now.

You've managed to misinterpret basically everything I've said, which is really an achievement. You seem to think I'm complaining that I have to do these things to play the game. Am I? No. Obviously not, I'm still here aren't I? You seem to think I'm saying the western release should come out so I don't have to do as much. Am I? No, I wouldn't play this in the west for the same reasons I didn't play PSU.

What I am saying is that not everyone is you. Not everyone is going to think a game is worth this trouble when there are other games right next to it that don't require the same amount of work. I'm saying that this game has no advertising and a VERY tiny pre-existing western community.

If you actually can't grasp these differences, or why they matter to the average joe, then you are a very limited person in both mental capabilities and life experience.

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
I don't think you've actually understood a word I've said here, so to say the feeling is mutual would be...an overstatement because I'm used to this by now.

You've managed to misinterpret basically everything I've said, which is really an achievement. You seem to think I'm complaining that I have to do these things to play the game. Am I? No. Obviously not, I'm still here aren't I? You seem to think I'm saying the western release should come out so I don't have to do as much. Am I? No, I wouldn't play this in the west for the same reasons I didn't play PSU.

What I am saying is that not everyone is you. Not everyone is going to think a game is worth this trouble when there are other games right next to it that don't require the same amount of work. I'm saying that this game has no advertising and a VERY tiny pre-existing western community.

If you actually can't grasp these differences, or why they matter to the average joe, then you are a very limited person in both mental capabilities and life experience.

/end of argument.
Ppl can continue to wait for no such release all they want I guess.

Rekku
Aug 13, 2013, 10:55 PM
Glad to know everyone needs to be a tryhard in order to appreciate a game/franchise.

Zeik2006
Aug 13, 2013, 10:57 PM
If you arent satisified with the patch that some ppl like AIDA work on, you seem like an ungrateful kid.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

That line right there makes me steam.

Before I start, I'll say right now that I love the work that Aida and the rest of the game. I used the crap out of it and I'm extremely thankful for it. HOWEVER, short of them coming out with a version of the game that didn't require a second patch every time the game updated, it'll never be as good as the true EN version.

A lot of my real friends from old PSO games are all going to wait for the EN version, and I'm going to play with them. I've even gotten a few of them on the JP version, but they've all said the same thing.

Having to patch the game a second time every update is annoying, and getting AC isn't exactly easy.

My point is this: Aida, I'm extremely thankful for the work you put into the patch, but it can never replace a full translation. I'll wait.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 11:00 PM
Glad to know everyone needs to be a tryhard in order to appreciate a game/franchise.

If you're not sacrificing your firstborn to make sure the servers come back after every weekly maintenance you don't even deserve to sign in when they come online, filthy casual.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/you-filthy-casual-meme.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

edit: actually, I see the failing in my logic, to repeatedly sacrifice your firstborn you'd need to actually have sex and that means leaving pso2 for a few minutes

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 11:05 PM

Never implied you had to be tryhard.

If you arent satisified with the patch that some ppl like AIDA work on, you seem like an ungrateful kid.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

That line right there makes me steam.

Before I start, I'll say right now that I love the work that Aida and the rest of the game. I used the crap out of it and I'm extremely thankful for it. HOWEVER, short of them coming out with a version of the game that didn't require a second patch every time the game updated, it'll never be as good as the true EN version.

A lot of my real friends from old PSO games are all going to wait for the EN version, and I'm going to play with them. I've even gotten a few of them on the JP version, but they've all said the same thing.

Having to patch the game a second time every update is annoying, and getting AC isn't exactly easy.

My point is this: Aida, I'm extremely thankful for the work you put into the patch, but it can never replace a full translation. I'll wait.

At least you arent completely in the dark with nothing but moonrunes for menus, ect. And I agree with you AC is difficult to get, especially getting that stupid captcha on sega login site.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
The hoops with getting AC isn't the problem. Having to pay 40-50% higher costs to get AC is the problem.

There is zero real reason why you should expect enough people to fill a western server to want to pay 40-50% more for already overpriced AC items and services while facing the possibility of a blanket ban just for being on another continent and having zero recourse with customer service because, again, they're on the wrong continent.

Zyrusticae
Aug 13, 2013, 11:18 PM
The hoops with getting AC isn't the problem. Having to pay 40-50% higher costs to get AC is the problem.
FYI, this isn't the case. The exchange rate currently has yen and USD at something pretty close to a 1:1 ratio. At most you pay something like a 16% 'middleman' fee for Webmoney or something to that effect.

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 11:20 PM

There is zero real reason why you should expect enough people to fill a western server to want to pay 40-50% more for already overpriced AC items and services while facing the possibility of a blanket ban just for being on another continent and having zero recourse with customer service because, again, they're on the wrong continent.

Oh I never expected westerners to do that in the first place. You are completely right that the markup is high way robbery. In fact.. because the ppl on a western server wont pay up for "already overpriced AC items and services," tells u it wont survive. The game is constantly driven by updated content and AC transactions.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
At most you pay something like a 16% 'middleman' fee for Webmoney or something to that effect.
I think that's what he's refering to

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 11:21 PM
FYI, this isn't the case. The exchange rate currently has yen and USD at something pretty close to a 1:1 ratio. At most you pay something like a 16% 'middleman' fee for Webmoney or something to that effect.

I don't know where people are getting their webmoney for less than that, but cn-usa and sutocorp both jack up the prices to much more than 1:1(00). I heard of a third site, but they weren't much better either.

Oh I never expected westerners to do that in the first place. You are completely right that the markup is high way robbery. In fact.. because the ppl on a western server wont pay up for "already overpriced AC items and services," tells u it wont survive. The game is constantly driven by updated content and AC transactions.
Something something something business degree.

Masakan
Aug 13, 2013, 11:22 PM
This is a complete waste of time. The ones who said that your better off playing the jap server because the English one is doomed to fail, are not gonna convince those willing to wait otherwise.

Vice versa to anyone arguing to give Sega a chance to those who already decided that they think they jap server is better and they are better as a result.

Can't we all just agree that we hate each other and move on?

supersonix9
Aug 13, 2013, 11:24 PM
apparently not

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
You kidding? Nine times out of ten I find forums just as entertaining, if not more entertaining, than the games they're about.

supersonix9
Aug 13, 2013, 11:26 PM
yep p much

Emp
Aug 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
I don't know where people are getting their webmoney for less than that, but cn-usa and sutocorp both jack up the prices to much more than 1:1(00). I heard of a third site, but they weren't much better either.

Something something something business degree.

Good response to something that was kinda true. Gj man.

This is a complete waste of time. The ones who said that your better off playing the jap server because the English one is doomed to fail, are not gonna convince those willing to wait otherwise.

Vice versa to anyone arguing to give Sega a chance to those who already decided that they think they jap server is better and they are better as a result.

Can't we all just agree that we hate each other and move on?

Nope. If we could, ppl wouldnt ask why there hasnt been a release yet.

blace
Aug 13, 2013, 11:31 PM
Here's something to abide by, let the thread die and move on with our lives.

I wasted the last 15 minutes or so of my life reading through the past 9 pages.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2013, 11:45 PM
Here's something to abide by, let the thread die and move on with our lives.

I wasted the last 15 minutes or so of my life reading through the past 9 pages.

Man, I could've saved you the trouble there. If any thread has that many new pages since the last time you looked, unless it's been like a week it is almost definitely going to be devoid of anything actually worth reading.

supersonix9
Aug 13, 2013, 11:48 PM
the only exceptions are when they're not devoid of anything actually worth reading

Freshellent
Aug 13, 2013, 11:58 PM
There were a lot of times when I would come to this forum during the PSU days and really wondered if I cared more about these forums or the game.

And then I used Dugrega, and I stopped caring about everything else.

But seriously, how the fuck is this thread still going?

Masakan
Aug 14, 2013, 12:07 AM
There were a lot of times when I would come to this forum during the PSU days and really wondered if I cared more about these forums or the game.

And then I used Dugrega, and I stopped caring about everything else.

But seriously, how the fuck is this thread still going?

Idk. Overly elitist assholes trying to justify why they are right and everyone who don't agree with them is wrong?

You tell me.

Freshellent
Aug 14, 2013, 12:31 AM
Just as many people you think are being 'elitist' are really just people saying whatever they have to, just to piss everyone else off. So you got the asshole right, partly anyway.

Yutaka20
Aug 14, 2013, 12:58 AM
Just as many people you think are being 'elitist' are really just people saying whatever they have to, just to piss everyone else off. So you got the asshole right, partly anyway.

well u gotta give these ppl some rights to complaining ya know :x
after all complaining is all they can do now ,knowing that they arewhining over their lazy a$$ not wanting to do all the patching ,yet blaming ingame players over "gaijin" issues .
if u truely wanna play it,with so much knowledge as to already know (2 years now....srsly...) that the game aren't coming anytime soon or the matter in fact that it might not even come at all (except for the asiasoft release)

there is enough community of english players in the game to cater for ur needs.
even if u cant find ppl to talk to in jp blocks,u can always join a english team and have ur screen filled with chat bubbles lol.

so let these whiners go on and not enjoy wat we are purely enjoying now :3
and let them keep whining so that we wont see them whining ingame instead !

oh btw maybe by the time pso2 english server comes,most player might already be playing a even newer or nicer game and thewhiners would again go :"damn pso2 if u came earlier i would have play it.u suk! now that xyz game is out!"

Zipzo
Aug 14, 2013, 04:01 AM
Not to fuel the fire more but...okay well yeah this is totally fuel and I'm waiting with baited breath for the reactions. PSO2 has been announced to be launching in early 2014 in a press release by Asiasoft as of today (for their according regions). Here's the skinny...

[Press release] Singapore, August 14th, 2013 – Asiasoft Corporation Public Company Limited (“Asiasoft”) announces that it will publish Japan’s biggest online RPG, PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 (“PSO2″) for Windows PC platform in six Southeast Asian countries; Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines.

With a history more than 25 years, PSO2 is the latest and the master series of role playing game (RPG) that represents SEGA Corporation.

PHANTASY STAR Online (“PSO”) was first published in 2000 and received many awards including the 5th Japan Game Awards, as a pioneer of online RPG in Japan. In July 2012, as a successor of PSO, PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 (“PSO2″) was released for Windows PC platform in Japan.

PSO2 is developed to provide unique and innovative gameplay experience in online RPG by offering the following three pillars: ‘infinite adventure’, ‘top-level action for online RPG’ and ‘the ultimate character creation’.

In PSO2, player takes an adventurous journey to unknown galactic territories as a member of “ARCS” expedition, an Oracle interplanetary cruise fleet in the infinite universe.

Players get to enjoy the exhilarating in-game battles and strategic actions using highly customizable control system. Additionally, PSO2 features an intuitive character creation and customization system that provides comprehensive options that will give unique looks and feels for each character created by the players.

As of August 2013, PSO2 service in Japan has reached over 2.5 million registered IDs and 107 thousand concurrent users, both of which are record-breaking numbers for online game in Japan.

“Since its first conception in 1987 on SEGA Master System, PHANTASY STAR has been one of the most renowned gaming franchises in the world. In PSO2, SEGA has developed exciting, unique and polished online action RPG experience,” says Sherman Tan, Chairman of Asiasoft.

“On behalf of Asiasoft, we are proud to carry on the legacy of PHANTASY STAR franchise to the current generation of gamers and to provide the best online service for this exciting title in Southeast Asian countries.”

“Asiasoft has an excellent track record in publishing online games in Southeast Asian countries and this partnership is in line with SEGA’s aspiration to expand our PC online game portfolio,” says Naoya Tsurumi , the president and the COO of SEGA Corporation.

“SEGA and Asiasoft will be working closely together to provide the best PSO2 experience for users in Thailand, Singapore Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines by creating localized contents that will appeal to the market in said countries.”

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 is slated for release in early 2014 for Windows PC platform in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines. Asiasoft will make an announcement on the launch plan in the near future.

This puts Asiasoft ahead of the Sega of America team on a definitive launch quarter at the very least, it would seem.

SquashDemon
Aug 14, 2013, 05:02 AM
Reminds me of when PSO2 was slated for Early 2013 in the US.

...just saying.

Kion
Aug 14, 2013, 05:17 AM
This could be wishful thinking, but I don't think there's too much to worry about. Sega has to know about the english foreign population on the Japanese servers. By no means is everyone whose already wants to play is already playing, but a significant part of their fan base is already playing the game on the Japanese servers. That's a large population to try and migrate and it further fractures the game and causes more trouble for the dev team, so I hope they learned from their mistake on that end.

Given the fact that there is a language option on the Japanese client, it could mean that they intend on keeping the same client universal and having other languages implemented as patch servers similar to what we're doing with the fan tweaker. If you think about it this way, then it's likely that the Japanese version is more of a beta version and eventually other regions will be added into it.

So there are two options, A) sega makes a sucky separate english version and proceeds to suck total monkey balls like they did with PSU. Solution, play on the Japanese server. Or B) They make the Japanese version the international version in which you might as well start now. The fan dev team will continue to support the JP version, so play the game, relax and wait for any actual information on the game.

Zipzo
Aug 14, 2013, 05:22 AM
Reminds me of when PSO2 was slated for Early 2013 in the US.

...just saying.

I don't exactly see why you'd feel confident playing for USA's team in this circumstance if you had to pick between the two right now, lol.

UnLucky
Aug 14, 2013, 05:43 AM
“Asiasoft has an excellent track record in publishing online games in Southeast Asian countries and this partnership is in line with SEGA’s aspiration to expand our PC online game portfolio,” says Naoya Tsurumi , the president and the COO of SEGA Corporation.
Oho man, good one Segac

Totori
Aug 14, 2013, 05:44 AM
Actually the number of english players might seem like a lot. But there are way more people who are wating for the US release. So losng the small number we make won't hurt the server, because quite a few of us don't bring in any money while we are playing the game. Even if the launcher has a language option, it seems like it's been abandoned for quite awhile.

So you can completely rule out that the Japanese version will become the international version because that's not gonna happen. There's some red tape SEGA has explained also, IIRC they are making some new content for the Asia region of PSO2 to go with holidays there.

Zipzo
Aug 14, 2013, 05:45 AM
Oho man, good one Segac

Well, I guess you can say they do have a good track record for publishing them. Supporting them is a different category...

AgemFrostMage
Aug 14, 2013, 06:52 AM
http://arks-layer.com/popcorn5.gif

This thread is like a train wreck - You know it's going to end horribly, but you just can't look away.

Like the American PSO2 will be if it comes? In my experience American item mall stuff is usually more expensive and everyone is like, "I can't wait until we get the cool stuff Taiwan/Japan/wherever gets!" Sometimes is years behind.

Masakan
Aug 14, 2013, 07:20 AM
I've already stated that if Sega fucks up the American release, I'm not going anywhere near it.

And if going to the Japanese server means I have to deal with these dip shits, I rather not play at all.

Zipzo
Aug 14, 2013, 07:25 AM
I've already stated that if Sega fucks up the American release, I'm not going anywhere near it.

And if going to the Japanese server means I have to deal with these dip shits, I rather not play at all.

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/images/general/blogs/memes2011/badass.png

Masakan
Aug 14, 2013, 07:30 AM

Thank you it's nice to know you can admit when someone is better than you in every way. I appreciate the compliment.

Zipzo
Aug 14, 2013, 07:49 AM
Thank you it's nice to know you can admit when someone is better than you in every way. I appreciate the compliment.

http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/Watch+out+we+got+a+badass+over+here+_ba2bbd1dc26a1 6fe592e6722edc858e1.png

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2013, 07:55 AM
Zipzo you're being really modest today, it's really nice of you to admit he's better than you.

Zipzo
Aug 14, 2013, 08:02 AM
Zipzo you're being really modest today, it's really nice of you to admit he's better than you.

Sometimes you just can't fight the logic.

HIT0SHI
Aug 14, 2013, 08:09 AM

[SPOILER-BOX]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/146793/2932947-what-is-going-on-in-this-thread-spiderman-edrkKb.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Freshellent
Aug 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
This meme/ image macros(s) shit is painful, I was hoping it wouldn't ever come to these forums- so much for that.

Mike
Aug 14, 2013, 09:36 AM
That about raps it up for this topic.

In the future, keep image macros in FKL.