PDA

View Full Version : Is Hogging Enemies Considered Rude (and other Gaming Ettiquette)?

Evangelion X.XX
Aug 10, 2013, 04:16 AM
When I play, I try to kill enemies as fast as humanly possible since less enemies means less stuff that can potentially kill you (and other players in your party or in MPA's in general). But doing so leads me to "hog-up" a lot of enemies in the process from other players (as in they're trying to kill a certain enemy but then I just butt in and kill it). Is this considered bad gaming etiquette or is it merely helping? Or maybe, in gaming, its kind of like a "first come first serve" basis: whoever kills first, kills first, therefore too bad for everyone else.

I suppose other poor gaming etiquette would be:

1) Not Healing the party if one's a Force.
2) Being too reckless and dying too much.
3) Not using Weak Bullet (I guess...).
4) Spamming symbol arts.
5) Not resurrecting other players.

...and others.... which I can't think of at the moment.

Variant
Aug 10, 2013, 04:18 AM
Unlike PSO, there's no need to tag an enemy for EXP, so I'm pretty sure killing enemies faster is better etiquette than not.

vantwan123
Aug 10, 2013, 04:23 AM
It's only considered rude if you kill the mobs when other people are still far away that they end up not getting drops/exp. Other than that, I don't think people really care that much.

I lol'd.

Kondibon
Aug 10, 2013, 04:25 AM
When I play, I try to kill enemies as fast as humanly possible since less enemies means less stuff that can potentially kill you (and other players in your party or in MPA's in general). But doing so leads me to "hog-up" a lot of enemies in the process from other players (as in they're trying to kill a certain enemy but then I just butt in and kill it). Is this considered bad gaming etiquette or is it merely helping? Or maybe, in gaming, its kind of like a "first come first serve" basis: whoever kills first, kills first, therefore too bad for everyone else.I wouldn't call it bad etiquette since everyone gets drops and exp even if they didn't kill it but it can be annoying as a melee class. It's kinda hard to tell who's fighting what most of the time in big MPAs though.

Most people end up using mates, I only really see people casting resta during or right after boss fights in MPAs.

That's not really bad etiquette, just a sign that the player isn't playing very well or is under geared. I don't usually mind if someone is dying a lot.

Oh god. If you have it use it. And just about every ranger has it, but if people hassle someone for not using it all the time then whatever, they'll live.

4) Spamming symbol arts.
This is annoying to me if it has no context or the symbol arts are used as Auto Words for mundane things like emergency codes and being revived.

This is situational. Sometimes people might not even see you if you don't say anything and ended up dying a bit too far from the main group (like I do in falz a lot), people also run out of moons etc, I tend to not blame people for not ressing me. I DID meet one guy who said he wouldn't res gunners who don't use weak bullet though but that's just silly.

Unlike PSO, there's no need to tag an enemy for EXP, so I'm pretty sure killing enemies faster is better etiquette than not.

Until people start getting accused of leaching because they aren't one/two shotting things from across the map like rangers/forces do.

KazukiQZ
Aug 10, 2013, 04:40 AM
Bad etiquette eh? I can think of 2....

1. Leave the party without any reason, when fighting boss. Not being dc'ed, just leave like that. This is BS.

2. Spamming inappropriate SA, such as nude pic

btw
Dying is unpredictable, so all we can do is do our best to avoid death.

And WB have cooldown too, so don't expect Rangers to always use it all the time :p

wefwq
Aug 10, 2013, 04:47 AM
I think not using WB only apply for boss MPA like big vardha or Falz battle, free exploration boss tend to dies real quick anyway.

And spamming cut-ins are as annoying as spamming SA.

NintenJon25
Aug 10, 2013, 05:07 AM
Bad etiquette eh? I can think of 2....

1. Leave the party without any reason, when fighting boss. Not being dc'ed, just leave like that. This is BS.

2. Spamming inappropriate SA, such as nude pic

btw
Dying is unpredictable, so all we can do is do our best to avoid death.

And WB have cooldown too, so don't expect Rangers to always use it all the time :p

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets peeved by that too... :\

I used to go on Block 20 for Ship 2, but the amount of people spamming SAs in general makes it just WAAAY too clustered all over the screen. It gives me a headache just thinking about it.

A lobby is supposed to be a place to relax and chat with people, and those things just totally kill the atmosphere. I'm not ratting on SAs, mind you, just the people who spam them.

I have no problem with Autowords if they're done right (not using spam, once again, and using just plain old text accompanied with portraits of your character from time-to-time). However, having a portrait or sa assigned to an Autoword as well as any type of loud sound is annoying as all living hell. I would NOT want to be in a party with someone (or 2-to-3 people) that do that. >:/

Chdata
Aug 10, 2013, 06:42 AM
When I play, I try to kill enemies as fast as humanly possible since less enemies means less stuff that can potentially kill you (and other players in your party or in MPA's in general). But doing so leads me to "hog-up" a lot of enemies in the process from other players (as in they're trying to kill a certain enemy but then I just butt in and kill it). Is this considered bad gaming etiquette or is it merely helping? Or maybe, in gaming, its kind of like a "first come first serve" basis: whoever kills first, kills first, therefore too bad for everyone else.

4) Spamming symbol arts.

1) As a force, I try to not let my own party's HP stay under 50% for too long. More healing = less reviving.
2) Dying too much could be a problem with the gear you use, or your gameplay.
3) Usually one ranger is designated for weakbullet against bosses, but in MPA multiple people might be trying to WB which is a waste of time but uncontrollable anyway
4) Don't care about symbol arts, but god are cut-ins a useless feature
5) Just don't resurrect bad players during Falz ;p ;p ;p

The worst etiquette you can have is to use cut-ins (/ci#) at any time.

Vintasticvin
Aug 10, 2013, 09:36 AM
1) As a force, I try to not let my own party's HP stay under 50% for too long. More healing = less reviving.
2) Dying too much could be a problem with the gear you use, or your gameplay.
3) Usually one ranger is designated for weakbullet against bosses, but in MPA multiple people might be trying to WB which is a waste of time but uncontrollable anyway
4) Don't care about symbol arts, but god are cut-ins a useless feature
5) Just don't resurrect bad players during Falz ;p ;p ;p

The worst etiquette you can have is to use cut-ins (/ci#) at any time.

How about when you're charging up a heal and the party just run off?

CelestialBlade
Aug 10, 2013, 09:47 AM
I read this as "is hugging enemies considered rude", and my answer to that would have to be yes. You traitorous, Darker-hugging scum. :l

Of your list, 4 is the worst. Game's too casual-friendly to worry about much else.

Chdata
Aug 10, 2013, 09:58 AM
How about when you're charging up a heal and the party just run off?

You don't heal the party if they're just running lol.

I usually only heal them if I'm ahead of them and they'll run into me, if we're fighting a ton of mobs anyway which means they aren't moving so much anyway, or if we're stopped somewhere else.

Main time I heal them is while fighting lots of mobs and there aren't already a lot of forces healing themselves (and thus everyone else).

By the way, using Cut-ins is bad etiquitte especially in autowords. Unless its for entering a new area one or something that happens rarely.

gigawuts
Aug 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
If your party is running around with half hp get a talis, even a 1* piece of crap since resta is based exclusively off of your base and affixed tatk, and learn to lead your target.

UnLucky
Aug 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
Good PSO2 Etiquette:

1. Stick with the group.
2. Don't bring NPCs into an MPA.
3. Kill lotsa mobs a lot.
4. Rez if you can.
5. Don't overwrite a good WB placement with a bad one.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
Good PSO2 Etiquette:

1. Stick with the group.
2. Don't bring NPCs into an MPA.
3. Kill lotsa mobs a lot.
4. Rez if you can.
5. Don't overwrite a good WB placement with a bad one.

2 and 5 are related.

SakuRei
Aug 10, 2013, 10:15 AM

4) Spamming symbol arts.

Well.. For me, sometimes I'm quite moody in some kind of situation through monsters in the field, sometimes I like most of my party members to kill the monsters that I kill, sometimes I just boil inside whenever I'm using an attack that eats high PP (mostly Over End) then someone kills it before I slam the PA. Whenever this happens when I'm not in a good mood through a dungeon run, I'll just cancel my PA and head along letting them kill it since it gives me the "you are too slow at killing, gimme these mobs slowpoke" feeling xD. Well sometimes this type of situation can't be avoided for me, since I'm practically weak in-game anyways... xD.

Eh... For this one sometimes on JP blocks either Falz or Vardha, most people just pass you by instead of helping a player who died, sometimes most players are just selfish reviving other players most of the time during these runs.

--And sometimes those players who do that fast movement when using Twin Daggers or Knuckles, it also give me the "slowpoke" feels as well... (Especially on Amaduscia and Sanctum Time Attack Areas where they steal your button spot or button that you are about to press.)

Zysets
Aug 10, 2013, 10:17 AM
The only things that get on my nerves are when people rush ahead of the group, or if they spam SA. I rarely see players do either, but it's happened.

~Aya~
Aug 10, 2013, 10:23 AM
The only things that get on my nerves are when people rush ahead of the group, or if they spam SA. I rarely see players do either, but it's happened.

Rushing ahead in MPA can be bad because it can throw off spawns or cause no spawn at all. Not to mention the number of enemies.

Rushing ahead in TA's are fine if you do your job and the others know what
to do if you are too fast for them to keep up with.

Zyrusticae
Aug 10, 2013, 10:33 AM
This is annoying to me if it has no context or the symbol arts are used as Auto Words for mundane things like emergency codes and being revived.
...But I love those! They can be so amusing. Emergency codes not so much, on the other hand...

Inazuma
Aug 10, 2013, 10:34 AM
- Read the party title and comment before joining.
- Follow the party leader.
- Announce bosses and other important events during MPAs.
- Exit burst when possible, and don't fuck up the exit burst by meleeing far away from the exit.
- Be aware that you are playing a Japanese game and behave appropriately.
- Use a telepipe when someone joins you mid-quest so they don't have to run across the whole map to catch up.
- Don't randomly kick people from your party without saying anything.

musicmf
Aug 10, 2013, 10:34 AM
It's funny, I main FO so normally I'm the one bombing everything without letting the HU classes get close. I feel kinda bad that I'm not letting them get much action, and they just get to cleanup what the range classes leave behind.
A bit recently I've been messing around with HU or BR, and in emergency-quest multi-parties, I'm now the one who can barely lay a finger on the enemies because of the FOs in the party. So I feel bad in a different way, because it's almost like I'm leeching.

In the end, I'm sure it doesn't really matter if one person hogs all of the kills , since exp/drops benefit everyone. So I'll just resume blasting away things whenever I'm using FO.

Since people are maximizing exp and drops, generally you want to;
- Don't kill things when people are offscreen, since they don't get exp/drops.
- Don't brind NPCs to multiparty areas, since they don't add to spawnrate.
- Stick together, so the spawn is better. (You also kill faster)
- If people want to Exit/Entrance burst, go to the appropriate location with them. To maximize spawn.
- If there's a rare boss code, call it out to the multiparty so people can come to get credit/drops.
- Wait for people to arrive to break boss crystals, especially from rare bosses (Hi Haze). Also maybe a bit of time for people to switch to lucky rise equipment.
- Res people, unless they die a ridiculous amount of times, and you're trying to spread out your Moon usage throughout the quest. People need to be alive to get exp or loot, and sometimes S-Rank for a Client Order.
- Don't override Weak Points. Slows down the kill, so it takes longer to move on to more things.

Those are the general things I think about for an efficient, and respectful run.

-----

By the way, I see lots of people mentioning Cut-ins being bad etiquette... (especially if auto-worded)
Is this just a personal feeling? Or is this also felt by the majority (see, Japanese) of the PSO2 players?

I mean, I don't use them because I don't like overly drawing attention to myself, but I never found fault with players using them.
I think it (or /toge) draw some pretty nice attention for some people calling out an Emergency Trial in a multiparty.
(Usually there are only 0~3 people who would autoword a cut-in for an E-trial, but I guess if there were all 12 members of a multiparty doing one... it would be a bit jarring)

Or, do you guys simply mean over-using cut-ins? Like having them for screaming attack names while you battle, or for using hurt-sounds when your character gets hit? Cause I can see those being obnoxious, although I've never ran into anyone like that before.

moorebounce
Aug 10, 2013, 10:37 AM

4) Spamming symbol arts.

1. I used to run after people to heal them but since you slow down when casting I stopped that. If I'm ahead I'll time it so they run through it.

2. There are a few situations that may look reckless but does anybody actually try to die on purpose?

3. I use it on bosses or really hard enemies. If you use it on everything you won't have it when you really need it because of the cool-down.

4. I only use symbol art for 2 things. 1. When I die so people can see it and rez me. You can't complain about not being rezzed if you use some snappy one liner in autoword or nothing at all because not everybody uses the HP bar option 2. When I find a rare.

5. People may not have seen you fall which is why I use a big ass symbol art letting them know. I also learned using autoword sentences don't work as well as symbol art. Like I mentioned in #4 not everybody uses the HP display option. So if they aren't in your party, not using the HP display option and you don't use symbol art telling them you're down then your chances of not being rezzed is high.

I have a teammate that has autowords (In Japanese and English) and symbol art on everything and that annoys the hell out of me.

gigawuts
Aug 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
Do feel free to refresh weak bullet on weak points, by the way. If you know it's been a while pop a new bullet on the same spot, especially if you've got a braver around doing katana combat. Not much is more irritating than reaching max KC count and using combat finish just to have weak bullet expire during the finish animation.

AlaskanKactus
Aug 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
4) Spamming symbol arts.

1. Most people use mates but a heal would be nice.
2. This. Its irritating when I'm playing Hard (40+) and a lvl 20 is constantly getting killed because they get WAY too close to mobs or bosses. I end up running out of moons and can't revive a player who actually needs it.
3. I really only see this as in issue on Falz runs.
4. This is rare but yes. People need to stop applying SA to ECodes lol
5. Very Hard Falz runs are the only place where its understandable to miss dead players. People are too busy fighting to notice. I usually have to use an SA and a text bubble to get someone's attention lol

~Aya~
Aug 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
It's funny, I main FO so normally I'm the one bombing everything without letting the HU classes get close. I feel kinda bad that I'm not letting them get much action, and they just get to cleanup what the range classes leave behind.
A bit recently I've been messing around with HU or BR, and in emergency-quest multi-parties, I'm now the one who can barely lay a finger on the enemies because of the FOs in the party. So I feel bad in a different way, because it's almost like I'm leeching.

In the end, I'm sure it doesn't really matter if one person hogs all of the kills , since exp/drops benefit everyone. So I'll just resume blasting away things whenever I'm using FO.

Since people are maximizing exp and drops, generally you want to;
- Don't kill things when people are offscreen, since they don't get exp/drops.
- Don't brind NPCs to multiparty areas, since they don't add to spawnrate.
- Stick together, so the spawn is better. (You also kill faster)
- If people want to Exit/Entrance burst, go to the appropriate location with them. To maximize spawn.
- If there's a rare boss code, call it out to the multiparty so people can come to get credit/drops.
- Wait for people to arrive to break boss crystals, especially from rare bosses (Hi Haze). Also maybe a bit of time for people to switch to lucky rise equipment.
- Res people, unless they die a ridiculous amount of times, and you're trying to spread out your Moon usage throughout the quest. People need to be alive to get exp or loot, and sometimes S-Rank for a Client Order.
- Don't override Weak Points. Slows down the kill, so it takes longer to move on to more things.

Those are the general things I think about for an efficient, and respectful run.

-----

By the way, I see lots of people mentioning Cut-ins being bad etiquette... (especially if auto-worded)
Is this just a personal feeling? Or is this also felt by the majority (see, Japanese) of the PSO2 players?

I mean, I don't use them because I don't like overly drawing attention to myself, but I never found fault with players using them.
I think it (or /toge) draw some pretty nice attention for some people calling out an Emergency Trial in a multiparty.
(Usually there are only 0~3 people who would autoword a cut-in for an E-trial, but I guess if there were all 12 members of a multiparty doing one... it would be a bit jarring)

Or, do you guys simply mean over-using cut-ins? Like having them for screaming attack names while you battle, or for using hurt-sounds when your character gets hit? Cause I can see those being obnoxious, although I've never ran into anyone like that before.

The people that you pt/mpa with that play HU or FI etc probably just auto-run. It's normally FO who get to the monsters last in most cases.

I also do not like seeing nearby chat spam unless its EC related.

The only time to /toge nearby is.. if there is something odd or in question of. For example: waiting for umbra.. can spark conversation while waiting on that

UnLucky
Aug 10, 2013, 11:58 AM
Do feel free to refresh weak bullet on weak points, by the way. If you know it's been a while pop a new bullet on the same spot, especially if you've got a braver around doing katana combat. Not much is more irritating than reaching max KC count and using combat finish just to have weak bullet expire during the finish animation.

Well KC lasts 20s and WB 15, so it's all on you to get the timing down.

But yeah, don't try to refresh a WB with your last shot... Always better to have a chance to fix a mistake, but missing your last shot on a new target is only a waste of one WB, not someone else's too.

gigawuts
Aug 10, 2013, 12:00 PM
Well KC lasts 20s and WB 15, so it's all on you to get the timing down.

But yeah, don't try to refresh a WB with your last shot... Always better to have a chance to fix a mistake, but missing your last shot on a new target is only a waste of one WB, not someone else's too.

Yes and no. It's not like you can activate KC 5 seconds before someone applies weak bullet in your average MPA scenario, because you won't even know something is showing up to activate it for and the ranger is, of course, going to apply WB as soon as possible.

And for falz arms? Unless you intentionally activate it before taking the tele, good luck with that.

Hence refreshing it being good for an unspoken act of teamwork.