PDA

View Full Version : SHIP2 Second Screen Companion App

EXPFULL
Aug 16, 2013, 05:36 AM
Hey awesome people,

So, I've been working on this under the radar for a little while, and am now ready to throw the idea out there and gauge the interest from the masses.

Starting with iOS, but launching later on Android, I'll be launching:

The SHIP2 Second Screen Companion App
- Create and respond to distress calls... new or seasoned players and ask for in-game help!
- Built in one-touch access to The Ship 2 Voice Chat
- Player Profiles and feedback - Quicksearch a player name to see eBay-Style feedback
- Team Radar - Easily see teams that are looking accepting new members, contact info and links to team pages (opens in Safari/Chrome apps)

The app will be ABSOLUTELY FREE with NO ADVERTS.

Interested? Got any ideas or feedback on the featureset?

Thanks for your time.

Punisher106
Aug 16, 2013, 08:37 AM
Sounds like an interesting app. I might be downloading it onto my phone whenever it comes out.

Zysets
Aug 16, 2013, 09:26 AM
That sounds like quite the feat. No idea how you'll get it done, but it sounds really cool. If you can do it, you got my thumbs up!

EXPFULL
Aug 16, 2013, 10:19 AM
How are you planning on doing this? AFAIK, the information isn't available via API, so you'd have to enter all this stuff manually D:

Sounds good though! I like it, and would definitely use it!

For the player feedback, it's added as and when... when we first get this out to beta testers, we'll be filling in names from big team leaders and people we all have on our friends lists, but most likely they'll be little feedback in the system at launch. If a name's not found when you want to leave feedback on someone, you can just add it.

We'll be lightly moderating this and will block hurtful/non constructive feedback!

On the help/distress call system, this works like a slick notice board, ordered by latest request. The idea here is if you log onto the game and don't have anything to do, you can check the app to see if anyone needs a hand with anything, and maybe make a new friend!

People love the Ship2 Voice Chat, but some can't install Mumble on their PC, or don't have a mic setup etc... and can't get their head around the concept of connection info and ports etc... with the app, it will just be an option from the menu, and you're done!

If there's enough interest in this, I'll continue work on it. Off to a good start already!

KazukiQZ
Aug 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
Basically like a Info and Request Board for players. Nice :D

CloudChaser
Aug 16, 2013, 10:53 AM
I'm interested as well, it seems like it might be a very useful tool for those in need of assistance:)

UnfortunateMind
Aug 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
This sounds like an amazing idea. It does sound like something that will take a lot of tweaking and such so I wish you the best! I hope your app doesn't get as many bugs as my snake game in college did.

bitCrusher
Aug 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
On the help/distress call system, this works like a slick notice board, ordered by latest request. The idea here is if you log onto the game and don't have anything to do, you can check the app to see if anyone needs a hand with anything, and maybe make a new friend!

^ I like that idea. A LOT. It'll be like a real life Hunter's Guild from PSO1!

Yamishi
Aug 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hey awesome people,

So, I've been working on this under the radar for a little while, and am now ready to throw the idea out there and gauge the interest from the masses.

Starting with iOS, but launching later on Android, I'll be launching:

The SHIP2 Second Screen Companion App
- Create and respond to distress calls... new or seasoned players and ask for in-game help!
- Built in one-touch access to The Ship 2 Voice Chat
- Player Profiles and feedback - Quicksearch a player name to see eBay-Style feedback
- Team Radar - Easily see teams that are looking accepting new members, contact info and links to team pages (opens in Safari/Chrome apps)

The app will be ABSOLUTELY FREE with NO ADVERTS.

Interested? Got any ideas or feedback on the featureset?

Thanks for your time.

I like it, but I have a Windows Phone. Any way you could see yourself building it for WinPhone8?

ShinKai
Aug 16, 2013, 02:16 PM
^ I like that idea. A LOT. It'll be like a real life Hunter's Guild from PSO1!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sounds neat. I'd probably use it. Our version of the "Good Job" system with a tad more functionality behind it.

ReaperTheAbsol
Aug 16, 2013, 04:03 PM
I'll be looking forward to this.

Zipzo
Aug 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
For the player feedback, it's added as and when... when we first get this out to beta testers, we'll be filling in names from big team leaders and people we all have on our friends lists, but most likely they'll be little feedback in the system at launch. If a name's not found when you want to leave feedback on someone, you can just add it.

We'll be lightly moderating this and will block hurtful/non constructive feedback!

People love the Ship2 Voice Chat, but some can't install Mumble on their PC, or don't have a mic setup etc... and can't get their head around the concept of connection info and ports etc... with the app, it will just be an option from the menu, and you're done!

If there's enough interest in this, I'll continue work on it. Off to a good start already!

Sounds to me like it's not accomplishing anything that PSO-W already exists for. If someone is able to be logged on to PSO2, they likely have access to the internet and thus, can communicate with english speaking PSO2 players as such through this website...

The worst part of this inquiry is probably your "Player feedback" idea. I think pretty much the worst way to get an idea of what it's like to play with someone is read random troll dick-heads' ramblings about how player X ditched their party when what do you know, they left probably because the writer himself was being a butthole. The trolling and griefing potential of functions like these is always sky high. You can moderate all you want but you will never get to stop moderating because people will post dumb shit every. second. of. the. day. This is the internet we're talking about.

Look it's not like it's hurting anything, I mean you might as well ask the planet earth if they would mind world peace (as in...why wouldn't it be a good idea?), it's just not really likely to A. be of very much use and B. remain exceptionally innocent of morons who flood your "feedback" section with nonsense or worthless tripe.

EXPFULL
Aug 17, 2013, 04:06 AM
Sounds to me like it's not accomplishing anything that PSO-W already exists for. If someone is able to be logged on to PSO2, they likely have access to the internet and thus, can communicate with english speaking PSO2 players as such through this website...

The worst part of this inquiry is probably your "Player feedback" idea. I think pretty much the worst way to get an idea of what it's like to play with someone is read random troll dick-heads' ramblings about how player X ditched their party when what do you know, they left probably because the writer himself was being a butthole. The trolling and griefing potential of functions like these is always sky high. You can moderate all you want but you will never get to stop moderating because people will post dumb shit every. second. of. the. day. This is the internet we're talking about.

Look it's not like it's hurting anything, I mean you might as well ask the planet earth if they would mind world peace (as in...why wouldn't it be a good idea?), it's just not really likely to A. be of very much use and B. remain exceptionally innocent of morons who flood your "feedback" section with nonsense or worthless tripe.

Thanks for your feedback - It's my opinion that forum sites look horrible on iPhone. It's all about UI.

Also, the voice chat being built in is something users can't get here on PSO-W.
My wife plays on PC, but it's not be best spec in the world, so alt-tabbing for Voice Chat links/text chat is not ideal, but an app would be.

Lastly, this is a good way for Vita players to get an extended experience.
typing on a vita is awful, so Voice Chat is the best way to go.