PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Why are we never the hero?

CloudChaser
Aug 16, 2013, 12:26 PM
I've noticed in almost all the Phantasy Star games, the player at most receives a thank you for their help rather than actually being the hero. Does anyone know why that is? Does SEGA really not know how to incorporate the players as heroes compared to nothing but someone that helped out the real main character? PSU with Ethan Waber is a good example. Does anyone like not being the hero? What's your input?

gravityvx
Aug 16, 2013, 12:29 PM
Being a hero is overrated.

Zysets
Aug 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
In my opinion, it's pretty cool. Anyone can be the hero, but you're the only one who could have done what you did to help the hero. At least that's what I like to imagine it as.

HIT0SHI
Aug 16, 2013, 12:32 PM
I am here to help anyone in need and defend the universe against the darkers. I am just a soldier whose been up against many enemies in my share time but at no point do i consider myself as hero, but someone who was just doing it's job. As said before, being a hero is overrated.

Punisher106
Aug 16, 2013, 12:32 PM
Fuck Ethan Waber. He can die in a fire.

In PSZ, though, you ARE recognized as the hero, to the point where Dark Falz tries to use your body as a vessel.

strikerhunter
Aug 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
Lesson No.1: Never be the hero.
Lesson No.2: Just be the normal guy/gal.
Lesson No.3: We are better off with 1 hero than an army of heroes because then it'll become something not too special.

Nuff said.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 16, 2013, 12:52 PM
Why would you WANT to be the hero?

Plus being a hero would probably collide with some peoples stories

Asifthegamedoesn'tdothatalready

Enforcer MKV
Aug 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
I am here to help anyone in need and defend the universe against the darkers. I am just a soldier whose been up against many enemies in my share time but at no point do i consider myself as hero, but someone who was just doing it's job. As said before, being a hero is overrated.

You. I like you.

ShinKai
Aug 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
Have you ever seen a movie where the main character in the climax of the story ends up making a quick, selfless decision for the good of all their friends and family to save the day, but because of that decision, someone else gets the credit? But the main character walks away with the true knowledge of what they did, knowing that they were the one person responsible for the happy ending?

I like to think of the PSO series like that. You don't do what you do for credit, you do what you can do because someone has to do it.

NoiseHERO
Aug 16, 2013, 01:00 PM
Nothing wrong with not being the hero.

Unless the actual heroes are boring/annoying as fuck. So votin' option 3 with this game.

PSP2 Best story mode. Emilia tell me how useless you are without me to hold your hand. *_*

gigawuts
Aug 16, 2013, 01:02 PM
Weren't we the heroes in PSO?

I don't remember anyone else killing dark falz.

UnLucky
Aug 16, 2013, 01:06 PM
You do like everything in PSO2 as the super cool guy who can do everything

SakuRei
Aug 16, 2013, 01:09 PM
I've noticed in almost all the Phantasy Star games, the player at most receives a thank you for their help rather than actually being the hero. Does anyone know why that is? Does SEGA really not know how to incorporate the players as heroes compared to nothing but someone that helped out the real main character? PSU with Ethan Waber is a good example. Does anyone like not being the hero? What's your input?

Well... For me being a support character is fine. Since You create your own story on how you want your character to be (Roleplaying purposes), since sometimes if you are the main character in-game, it feels like you are the baby of the story while other side characters are the baby sitters. (IMO of course) xD

Punisher106
Aug 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
Why would you WANT to be the hero?

Plus being a hero would probably collide with some peoples stories

Asifthegamedoesn'tdothatalready

I think the story mode is "single player", where the player character is that extra person.

But seriously, I'll voice my opinion. Yes, I am that one guy who thinks we deserve the credit we've gotten. Hell, in the final subplot of PSU, You, Vivienne, and Magashi team up to take down Dark Falz, and you lose Vivienne, who happens to be the only character to express interest in you, only to have that credit taken away in a side story in PSP2, where Ethan is recognized as the hero.

I hate, HATE, being the third-wheel protagonist. It's quite obvious in most of the PS games, and in PSO2, ehh, you're kinda recognized as the hero, but I feel like Zeno will take that away, some time. If it really were like PSU... Sheesh, I hate giving spoilers and using the tags a lot, but here goes... Aki wouldn't have given you most of the credit for "saving" the hi clan's Vol Dragon from the darker infection, resulting in the dragonkin as a whole seeing you, and really only you, as a trustworthy ally. And don't forget the whole Persona thing and his "[Player].... I'll kill you!"

gigawuts
Aug 16, 2013, 01:14 PM
You do like everything in PSO2 as the super cool guy who can do everything

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the entire story of PSO2 revolves around our character's accomplishments that lead up to our appointing as a member of the Council of Six, with all the time travel malarkey just being someone making sure it all happens because someone else is interfering with the timeline.

I mean, jesus, we're the only one that ever does anything.

gravityvx
Aug 16, 2013, 01:18 PM
Weren't we the heroes in PSO?

I don't remember anyone else killing dark falz.

I dunno, didn't feel like much of a hero at the end of PSO with almost all the "main" characters being dead, Ricos dad even gives the good ol face palm at the end, there was nothing to celebrate depite the supposed victory. But if we're going by episodes that'd be Flowen & Rico.

Nikoshae
Aug 16, 2013, 01:26 PM
I like to imagine my characters have their own story, and their story just happens to intersect with "the hero's" story from time to time. My character is "the hero" of his or her own story, however grand or simple it may be.

Nikoshae is a hero. A hero of funshine and rainbows. Yes. This.

Neith
Aug 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
Didn't PSO even say 'You are the Hero' when you defeated Falz?

Also the PSO storyline references 'The Four Heroes', and in another quest online it specifically mentions that you are one of them (Blue Star Memories, if I remember).

The other games do give everyone more credit though. To be honest, with how much of a pushover Falz is in PSO2, 'Hero' status isn't even deserved :lol:

Dnd
Aug 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
if we are going from an RP point of view, then Nina is fine with not being classified as a hero - she does what she does not for credit or fame, but to protect those dear to her from any more heartbreak or pain.

Being a hero in the story is always great, but I find it makes the story typically bland and generic....

Yamishi
Aug 16, 2013, 01:50 PM
Have you ever seen a movie where the main character in the climax of the story ends up making a quick, selfless decision for the good of all their friends and family to save the day, but because of that decision, someone else gets the credit? But the main character walks away with the true knowledge of what they did, knowing that they were the one person responsible for the happy ending?

I like to think of the PSO series like that. You don't do what you do for credit, you do what you can do because someone has to do it.

This.

A million times, this.

CloudChaser
Aug 16, 2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the entire story of PSO2 revolves around our character's accomplishments that lead up to our appointing as a member of the Council of Six, with all the time travel malarkey just being someone making sure it all happens because someone else is interfering with the timeline.

I mean, jesus, we're the only one that ever does anything.

Seat on the Council of 6 is enough recognition for me, just something more than a thank you. I mean yea I'm supposed to be the good guy and give and give and give and expect nothing in return, but we don't get the girl, or the money, someone else is usually given all the credit, and the one time we were actually going to get someone to care about us, she fuckin dies. I mean Come on.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 16, 2013, 01:58 PM
If it makes you guys feel better

You'll always be Afin's partner~

Dnd
Aug 16, 2013, 02:01 PM
You'll always be Afin's partner~

That feels me with hope, from the very first chapter I've despised him. I mean, he gets tired out watching you kill two dagens? please......

CloudChaser
Aug 16, 2013, 02:05 PM
That feels me with hope, from the very first chapter I've despised him. I mean, he gets tired out watching you kill two dagens? please......

Hopefully he turns into a badass later, but I also feel if they could get the player emotionally involved with the story, it would make it a little easier to deal with. you wouldn't care about being the hero you would just be happy that you got your revenge or protected those you care about. every other character has a problem or a role they require your help with, do we have our own problem we need to take care of? (only on MB5 EP1)

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 16, 2013, 02:07 PM
I can't recall, but doesn't Afin show more confidence later in?

Ezodagrom
Aug 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
I can't recall, but doesn't Afin show more confidence later in?
Yeah, he does.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9853/zv37.jpg

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
For all we know, "The Day I've Been Waiting For" could be eluding to the fact that you had your hand in altering the past.

gigawuts
Aug 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
I dunno, didn't feel like much of a hero at the end of PSO with almost all the "main" characters being dead, Ricos dad even gives the good ol face palm at the end, there was nothing to celebrate depite the supposed victory. But if we're going by episodes that'd be Flowen & Rico.

But that's the thing, those were only the individuals we were connected with. Everyone was heading towards the same ultimate goal, knowingly or not, and we were the only ones to reach it. Our perspective may have revolved around certain characters, but the story itself ultimately revolved around resolving a conflict preventing an entire civilization from finding a new home with nowhere else to go.

So while we may have failed to save a couple characters we ultimately did succeed at saving the rest of the unknown people on Pioneer 2.

Also a few characters were confirmed to still be alive in Episode 2 and 4, although I think that was more of a retcon considering what we actually see in Episode 1.

landman
Aug 16, 2013, 02:35 PM
I actually felt as the Hero in PSU, you end in a very high ranking in the Guardians, and even in a PSP2 scene your PSU character has a word (no name, no voice) with the leaders of gurhal, recognizing the work of the PSP2 hero... and Emilia (if I remember correctly).

In PSO Epizode 2 you are recognized as the Hunter who managed to complete the Principal's request in Episode 1, and then you are asked to work for the lab, and after that you work for Tirrell again in Episode 4. Oh and 30 years later you are in charge of a team of Hunters and or Arkz, kind of a general in the new "civil" war.

There is a difference about not being in scene and not being the hero, in Bioware RPGs you are watching your hero talk, talk, talk and talk, you choose the phrases but not the personality, you may like the character, or not. But in Zelda, Link is mute, this actually makes you identify more with him. The same applies to the PSO games.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
Why are the so-called "main characters" so weak? They keep dying and hit like kittens.

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2013, 02:59 PM
Fuck the story. Boring, Saturday-Morning-'Cartoonime' garbage like PSU's.

gigawuts
Aug 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
Why are the so-called "main characters" so weak? They keep dying and hit like kittens.

Because if they didn't hit for diddly squat they would clear the story quests for us and then nobody would die in story quests and they wouldn't sell $1.50 scape dolls

isCasted
Aug 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
The only time I really was mad at game doing this is mission 1 in PSU:AotI, when you actually do 95% of work while defeating Zoal Goug, and then Laia tells you to quit hiding in bushes. Well, in EP2 you play no role, while in EP3 you suddenly become so important that it doesn't even matter if you are recognized as a hero - you could mostly twist story as you want.

Well, in PSO1 you are hero, in PS0 you are hero... Even if you are only supporting Emilia in PSP2, being able to hug her is really something!

Courina
Aug 16, 2013, 04:15 PM
im just doin my duty as Model Arks ...

mainly just curious for lore collecting thought...

Chdata
Aug 16, 2013, 05:01 PM
Out of the thousands of players here in this team oriented game, which single player is the hero?

gigawuts
Aug 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
Out of the thousands of players here in this team oriented game, which single player is the hero?

All of us. At once. The story is singleplayer. It's a quantum thing.

gravityvx
Aug 16, 2013, 06:07 PM
All of us. At once. The story is singleplayer. It's a quantum thing.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/Thatguyobliv/images-2.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Thatguyobliv/media/images-2.jpg.html)

SquashDemon
Aug 16, 2013, 06:19 PM
I dunno what exactly Op is referring to.

Last I checked, the player character (you) are being charged with some serious timefuckery by that gal in the labcoat, I mean, sure there's a lot going on around you, but you're the common denominator in Zeno, Aki, Fourier, and Rogio's stories. In fact, most of the outcomes of their stories only happen because you intervened at all.

Take the Clarissa, for example, If your stupid ass hadn't repaired it, Gettemhart wouldn't have become Dark Falz, oh yes, I went there.

Haven't had a chance to start my Episode II matterboard yet, but I'm willing to bet you likely play an even more important role in that one, given the new antagonist you're introduced to, who, if I'm right in my speculation, only you will be able to fight.

PSO2 is very centered around the player character being the MAIN character in the story mode.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 16, 2013, 06:20 PM
Because if they didn't hit for diddly squat they would clear the story quests for us and then nobody would die in story quests and they wouldn't sell $1.50 scape dolls

Considering the damage output I have a hard time believing that Zeno is any sort of hero, he seems more like a joke =)

AgemFrostMage
Aug 16, 2013, 06:22 PM

Last I checked, the player character (you) are being charged with some serious timefuckery by that gal in the labcoat, I mean, sure there's a lot going on around you, but you're the common denominator in Zeno, Aki, Fourier, and Rogio's stories. In fact, most of the outcomes of their stories only happen because you intervened at all.

Take the Clarissa, for example, If your stupid ass hadn't repaired it, Gettemhart wouldn't have become Dark Falz, oh yes, I went there.

Haven't had a chance to start my Episode II matterboard yet, but I'm willing to bet you likely play an even more important role in that one, given the new antagonist you're introduced to, who, if I'm right in my speculation, only you will be able to fight.

PSO2 is very centered around the player character being the MAIN character in the story mode.

You mean the guy in white at the end? I think him and that girl near the medical counter have something to do with the Great Light somehow, and that guy at the end of matterboard 10 before the credits roll.

snuggernauff
Aug 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
It really dont bother me.... Hero or not.... as long as I'm being a useful for the team..

untrustful
Aug 16, 2013, 06:35 PM
Being a hero means I get the ladies.

RadiantLegend
Aug 16, 2013, 06:37 PM
I just kill stuff and FALZ just happen to be in the wrong universe.

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2013, 07:18 PM
Being a hero means I get the ladies.

omg sexissssssssssst

Lostbob117
Aug 16, 2013, 07:23 PM
Do you like wearing underwear over your pants?
If so, why?

SquashDemon
Aug 16, 2013, 07:28 PM
You mean the guy in white at the end? I think him and that girl near the medical counter have something to do with the Great Light somehow, and that guy at the end of matterboard 10 before the credits roll.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's how it'll go, possibly with the twist of Great Light not really being all that great, or benevolent. Personally I'm hoping that's the case as it'd be kind of a return to the darker and more pessimistic style of PSO, where hope was kind of an important commodity for the characters. Since Dark Falz can talk, he might actually gain some character development, (wishful thinking) if not...well, he's not the first Phantasy Star villain to do it for the sake of "Bwahaha, 'cause I'm Evil."

That'd be Lassic.

...Wonder if DF:Elder is actually Lassic..?

SUDDENLY THINGS WOULD GET AWESOME.

bitCrusher
Aug 16, 2013, 07:39 PM

if you wanna be a hero, you can literally play every other game out there :P

perhaps Sega was trying to be original, and decided to stick with it throughout all the games.

TaigaUC
Aug 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
Being a hero is severely overrated.

That being said, PSO2's story isn't very good anyway.
JP people don't seem to like it either.

strikerhunter
Aug 16, 2013, 07:52 PM

OP was referring to the Phantasy Star Series as a whole, not just PSO2.

Laxedrane
Aug 16, 2013, 08:07 PM
I thought at the end of PSU Laia says she going to make you a general of some kind as recognition of all you've done?

In pso cross over quest for episode 3 you are recognize as one of the "4 heroes."

Zero your recognized I am pretty sure. Anyways I know all the npcs act like they want to gang dry hump your leg.

CloudChaser
Aug 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
Is it possible that we may be looking at a multiverse to connect Gurhal and Oracle?

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 16, 2013, 09:05 PM
So you want to be a hero huh?

Alis
Rolf
Sean/Crys/Aron/Adan
Chaz

Take your pick.

strikerhunter
Aug 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Is it possible that we may be looking at a multiverse to connect Gurhal and Oracle?

Gurhal had subspace thingy :-P so maybe but I doubt it.

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2013, 09:38 PM
PSO2 is one giant VR mission for PSO.

gigawuts
Aug 16, 2013, 09:40 PM
PSO2 is one giant VR mission for PSO.

THE SIMULATION IN EPISODE 2 NEVER ENDED OH MY GOD

Or wait, would one of the maximum attacks be better for this? Weren't those in VR sims too? They took place much earlier than ep 2 did.

Dragon_Knight
Aug 16, 2013, 09:42 PM
I've never been to fancy on any custom/blank slate characters I make for any game to actually be the hero of the story. I've never been the hero, nor would I ever want to be especially in a Phantasy Star game...I'll certainly help the hero out, in fact many of the tactics style games I play I do just that. I'll take a generic character as my avatar to be the run of the mill help or witness to the events.

I dislike MMOs that try to make your character the main hero or even any sort of important person, mostly because the stories would almost always exclude other players or their own versions of events....well that and its always some destiny crap that gives you the "motivation." It also seems to talk down to the player or shoehorn in traits that you might otherwise not feel fits your character. Despite being YOUR character or YOUR avatar, the stories that have YOU as the hero are almost certainly take someone elses ideas of a character and gives your story those traits to work with.

Sometimes I wish there would be a way for MMOs to incorporate personal stories (out side of instanced missions like in Star Trek Online/NeverWinter/City of Heros), though I would imagine that near impossible. That I suppose is the realm reserved for fanfiction or your own imagination. If its fanfiction....just please spell check first. >.<

Rien
Aug 16, 2013, 09:43 PM
I feel the only thing tying a good lot of the matter boards etc. together is simply the fact that you were there.

Dark Falz Hunar shows up, wreck his ass in 10 seconds? Zeno and Casra still don't recognize you as the star of the entire team and tells you to leave while they make heroic sacrifices.

But then again if the characters strengths story-wise and gameplay-wise was the same then Dark Falz is a horrible, horrible weakling and you are some crazy supersoldier nobody recognizes.

BIG OLAF
Aug 16, 2013, 09:51 PM
So you want to be a hero huh?

Alis
Rolf
Sean/Crys/Aron/Adan
Chaz

Take your pick.

you forgot

ETHAN WABER

But, in honesty, I like being the "hero characters" trusty sidekick that helps them save the world, rather than be the center of attention. Feels more interesting that way.

Gardios
Aug 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
Dark Falz Hunar shows up, wreck his ass in 10 seconds? Zeno and Casra still don't recognize you as the star of the entire team and tells you to leave while they make heroic sacrifices.

Why should they recognize you when they have no reason to? You really haven't done anything significant yet. Zeno and Casra staying behind made the most sense because you're still half-baked compared to them. Them not doing not as much damage as you is obviously just a gameplay restriction,

yoshiblue
Aug 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
Sometimes I wish there would be a way for MMOs to incorporate personal stories (out side of instanced missions like in Star Trek Online/NeverWinter/City of Heros), though I would imagine that near impossible. That I suppose is the realm reserved for fanfiction or your own imagination. If its fanfiction....just please spell check first. >.<

I believe the idea for the story was that your with Arkz and the people are around you work with you or just make it feel like an organization. Otherwise, your just one of them who happens to be picked out. Or one of the many who all alter history at once. Weird stuff.

Would be interesting to make custom missions. The maps seem easy to make with that cookie cutter build. Cut-scenes would be tougher. STO had chatting but really no choice for cut-scenes and i'm not sure people in PSO2 are in it for tons of fanfic reading. Would make for a nice premium feature though.

Rien
Aug 16, 2013, 10:07 PM
Why should they recognize you when they have no reason to? You really haven't done anything significant yet. Zeno and Casra staying behind made the most sense because you're still half-baked compared to them. Them not doing not as much damage as you is obviously just a gameplay restriction,

They honestly need to bump up their damage. Not by much, but enough just to be able to kill *some mobs* at VH level and not pass out trying anything consisting of more than 5 of anything.

Zenobia
Aug 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
Fuck being a hero I would rather be less known than well known as log as I can kill shit I am good.

Besides "When I listen too music I don't want to hear about flowers I like death destruction."

supersonix9
Aug 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
if you're the hero then you wouldn't be the villian

Noblewine
Aug 16, 2013, 10:34 PM
You get recognizes as a hero for beating psp2. Atleast the treatment is better compared to PSU where your mostly involved in stupid jokes.
You get an achievement from completing 1 of 3 endings that you can use to make you feel appreciated. lol

ReaperTheAbsol
Aug 16, 2013, 10:36 PM
I didn't join Arks in order to be the best like no one ever was.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Aug 16, 2013, 10:38 PM
I may not be the hero in Segas eyes, but I am in everyone elses. That's all that really matters...

Dragon_Knight
Aug 16, 2013, 11:28 PM
I didn't join Arks in order to be the best like no one ever was.

I saw what you did there. >=3

Mega Ultra Chicken
Aug 16, 2013, 11:42 PM
Honestly, I prefer not being the main hero. I like being just another slayer of monstrous monsters more than the game pretending that I'm somehow more "special" than everyone else.

A gripe I have with Maplestory is that with some classes, you are a specific person in the storyline. For example, I'm supposedly the only Mercedes... but where are all these other Bowgun wielders coming from? Does Mercedes have students/followers who also use her fighting style? Are the others all an illusion?

When you're not branded the Chosen One, you don't have to deal with inconsistencies like those.

Valkyrie Lovrina
Aug 16, 2013, 11:58 PM
Prinny 3: I don't want to be the hero anymore :wacko:

@ topic: I'd rather be the hero and have Echo's eternal love. :blush:

Rien
Aug 17, 2013, 12:03 AM
Honestly, I prefer not being the main hero. I like being just another slayer of monstrous monsters more than the game pretending that I'm somehow more "special" than everyone else.

A gripe I have with Maplestory is that with some classes, you are a specific person in the storyline. For example, I'm supposedly the only Mercedes... but where are all these other Bowgun wielders coming from? Does Mercedes have students/followers who also use her fighting style? Are the others all an illusion?

When you're not branded the Chosen One, you don't have to deal with inconsistencies like those.

Bowgun wielders are actually common (okay, maybe not that common but there are others) in the elven village. It just happens that the only other living elf (until all the ones in the village get thawed out) can't/don't use them. The pre-requisites for that is being fast on your feet and having good accuracy at that speed.

Though the rest of the Chosen Ones are a lot more special so yeah there are still inconsistencies.

Back to PSO2...
Afin also talks about how the "newer generation" have the ability to freely change their class at will, at any time, but the characters we meet are all content with their current class. The only NPC we see changing is someone of the *supposedly* older generation, Echo. The other example being Zeno where he was a ranger in the past.

CloudChaser
Aug 17, 2013, 01:14 AM
I see Afin's class change in the near future.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 17, 2013, 02:46 AM
Heroes are so common these days.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/awofadeju/CB006_Tager.png

ignika98
Aug 17, 2013, 03:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BoYy5Sj.jpg

Demon-
Aug 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/149seo9.jpg

~Aya~
Aug 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
Should be able to be the villain or anti-hero.

Railkune
Aug 17, 2013, 10:25 AM
I feel like we're going to end up branded a traitor/villain at some point. Of course I have no proof of this. It's just a feeling.

yoshiblue
Aug 17, 2013, 10:54 AM
Play PSP, your branded as an unknown hero and a villain at the same time!

martinmeegan
Aug 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
I play this game for a bit of escapism from my normal life. Consequently I'm glad I'm not the hero in it. As a previous post said, being a hero is over rated. For a start the outfits you have to wear are ridiculous and don't even get me started on all the attractive women constantly throwing themselves at your feet.;-)

ignika98
Aug 17, 2013, 01:16 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/149seo9.jpg

Notice how there's 4 people there...

AgemFrostMage
Aug 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
I like making up my own story when I play =) Echo breaks up with Zeno and is now dating the shell creature you protect from her in episode II, Quna is your girlfriend, Luther is like the Great Light's version of Persona, and some more. Every boss in game is a minion of Dark Force, fighting darkers is only sparring with other enemies, and Dark Force can teleport his minions anywhere, which explains dragons, natives, and robots in the city in the BB quest.

Vintasticvin
Aug 17, 2013, 04:24 PM
To hell with being called the hero I could care less about it as long as respect and recognition is gained.

CloudChaser
Aug 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
To hell with being called the hero I could care less about it as long as respect and recognition is gained.

EXACTLY!!!

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
So, how is the story looking for those who have proceeded further? Support or we might get some recognition?

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 10:12 AM
So, how is the story looking for those who have proceeded further? Support or we might get some recognition?

It's all about the voice changing loli Kuna.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:15 AM
What does she have to do with all of this anyhow? I thought it was mainly about Darker's appearing because of photon usage, similar to why the seed appeared at Gurhal, I haven't played with story patch yet so I'm clueless to most of it.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
Nothing. She has literally nothing to do with the actual story.
[spoiler-box]
At launch there were six pillars of arks. Kuna? She's #7.

She's a disgusting leaking balloon-voiced loli whenever she talks, but she miraculously develops the voice of an adult woman whenever she sings. The change happens in a matter of seconds during the ingame concerts.

She's simultaneously the most prized singing idol, most powerful pillar (excepting possibly clarisclays, but she doesn't actually wield her own power most of the time and instead just brags about having it), the only character with some bullshit cloaking technology that we've never seen or heard of before, the only pillar you actually get to see any trace of background for, and the only character that they waited this damn long to reveal.
[/spoiler-box]
So, back to my main point: She's nothing but an attempt to cash in on the idol culture that's so prevalent in Japan. And my guess is that it's working exactly as intended. In Japan, anyway. Pull that shit here and people will laugh all the way to the uninstall button.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:30 AM
Wait a minute... wow I feel stupid, so little miss blue haired badass is also our beloved yet annoying Kuna... Wtf have I missed...

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 10:33 AM
Oops.

I should spoiler tag that I guess. I thought it was common knowledge what with them sharing the same name.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:33 AM
I never noticed it.... wow...
Plus I haven't met the singer version of Kuna yet, I'm only on MB5, so I only really heard about her, That's probably why I never made the connection.

FacelessRed
Aug 27, 2013, 10:36 AM
Am I the only one thinking maybe No one character should be the hero? I mean shit, we're supposed to be friends with these characters, why would they recognize 1 person? Everyone who fought should get to be "the hero" and be known as a legendary Arks fighter, etc. etc.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:46 AM
That's pretty much what I'm saying.

You see in almost all Phantasy Star games previously, the player character recieves at most a thank you and everyone else, besides him, recieves the spot light, parade, welcome home party etc. I think PSP Zero was the only one where we were given proper recognition. We were made a general in PSU, but that wasn't anything big. And hopefully by the end of PSO2, we become one of the pillar's of the ARKs.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 10:49 AM
That's what I'm expecting. Since #4 apparently isn't known, that might be the spot we're given. Or any other number of stories could be written up honestly, but I'm sure the end goal will be us becoming one of the pillars. If they're cool about it they'll let us turn down the offer. If they're REALLY cool about it they'll let us suggest a specific NPC.

I want to see Afin as a pillar. Hell yes.

Failing that, our resident Afin could do us a solid and post screens of the story quest where that happens. If that happens.

Who freakin' knows.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:52 AM
So why would you turn it down?
Why would you give it to Afin of all people?

I would probably request Melfonsina or Echo.
I can almost guarantee Zeno will be dead by end of story.

HIT0SHI
Aug 27, 2013, 10:52 AM
If they're cool about it they'll let us turn down the offer. If they're REALLY cool about it they'll let us suggest a specific NPC.

I want to see Afin as a pillar. Hell yes.

Failing that, our resident Afin could do us a solid and post screens of the story quest where that happens. If that happens.

Who freakin' knows.

That would be awesome!

AgemFrostMage
Aug 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hey I like Quna, A LOT! Who cares if she isn't too important to the story, she was Chrome Dragon's pet then he got corrupted.

At the end of the new Sanctum MB there's a kid with blue hair who makes you sparkle rainbow colors, he might have something to do with the great light.

Huey being a pillar, still can't get over that he's such a joke -_-

Clarissa I can understand because she's so great and powerful, Regius because he's awesome, but Huey? -_-

Z-0
Aug 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Zeno is alive. When you clear part 2 of MB13, Shao (Shion's little brother), sends you back in time to save Zeno, causing Chapter 8: Part 4. Sara and Maria are with you, and Maria is expanded on slightly as the vessel of the weapon ラビュリス (Rabyuris), which she uses to attempt to fend off Falz, although ultimately fails as Persona interrupts.

Sp-24
Aug 27, 2013, 10:58 AM
Since we are making empty promises, I guarantee that we will have to kill him ourselves, with Echo's help.

Ezodagrom
Aug 27, 2013, 11:03 AM
Nothing. She has literally nothing to do with the actual story.

At launch there were six pillars of arks. Kuna? She's #7.

She's a disgusting leaking balloon-voiced loli whenever she talks, but she miraculously develops the voice of an adult woman whenever she sings. The change happens in a matter of seconds during the ingame concerts.

She's simultaneously the most prized singing idol, most powerful pillar (excepting possibly clarisclays, but she doesn't actually wield her own power most of the time and instead just brags about having it), the only character with some bullshit cloaking technology that we've never seen or heard of before, the only pillar you actually get to see any trace of background for, and the only character that they waited this damn long to reveal.

So, back to my main point: She's nothing but an attempt to cash in on the idol culture that's so prevalent in Japan. And my guess is that it's working exactly as intended. In Japan, anyway. Pull that shit here and people will laugh all the way to the uninstall button.
The adult voice is actually her normal voice and the high pitched voice is her "I'm pretending to be an idol" voice.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 11:04 AM
Since we are making empty promises, I guarantee that we will have to kill him ourselves, with Echo's help.

This will be epic, Zeno will then understand what his master (us) truly meant to teach him.

Other then that I see us killing persona with Echo then removing the mask to see Zeno, Echo then cry flip shit and become new theodore.

Sp-24
Aug 27, 2013, 11:06 AM
This will be epic, Zeno will then understand what his master (us) truly meant to teach him.

Other then that I see us killing persona with Echo then removing the mask to see Zeno, Echo then cry flip shit and become new theodore.
While the latest story chapter makes it even more paradoxal than chapter 2-2, I still think that "Persona" is Zeno possessed by Falz. Doesn't exactly make sense, but it's so animoo-ish that it has to be true.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 11:17 AM
While the latest story chapter makes it even more paradoxal than chapter 2-2, I still think that "Persona" is Zeno possessed by Falz. Doesn't exactly make sense, but it's so animoo-ish that it has to be true.

Then being that this is an anime style game more than likely instead of killing him(Which I would respect this game much more if they did.) You probably beat the living hell out of him and then Falz leaves.

But the choice to attempt to save him, or kill him. That would be something.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 11:49 AM
The adult voice is actually her normal voice and the high pitched voice is her "I'm pretending to be an idol" voice.

Then why does she change it back to her adult voice when she's actually doing what idols do - sing?

Z-0
Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
And when you actually go to talk to her, she uses her idol voice most of the time

wut

Sp-24
Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
Then why does she change it back to her adult voice when she's actually doing what idols do - sing?
Kuna actually can't sing. Those songs are done by Hadred and she just steals them and lip-synchs.

In chapters 9 and 10, she makes you hunt Hadred after it found out that the records have been stolen, to bury any evidence. That's why the last fight has one of those songs as BGM even though no one is singing. And when she does those "concerts", Falz gets pissed off at an obvious fake and attacks the ship she was on (which is why they are so short, so she can escape in time).

It all makes sense now.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 12:01 PM
You'll have to forgive me, Who/What is Hadred, and why would Falz be pissed if she is singing Hadred's songs?

Shadowth117
Aug 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
FYI, haven't read the whole thread so don't know if these types of things have been said already, but anyways.

The thing is, I feel like it'd be kind of hard to really make a story around the player as a hero. One of the most iconic things about your character is how they fight and its kind of silly if you play one way the majority of the time and how your character acts in a cutscene doesn't match up. Maybe you're a hunter that always uses wired lances or you're a force based class that only uses dark techs or something when you play. But accounting for all of these little things and working them into the story is extremely difficult with this amount of customization without forcing a personality/fighting style/behavior on the player character. Because you can't really put the spotlight on a neutral figure and keep them that way.

The game prides itself in how much it allows you to customize your character and make them your own. It would probably ruin it a fair bit if your character didn't act quite how you wanted them to. Of course, games like Mass Effect let you have a lot more freedom with relatively linear stories so its not something impossible. But its not exactly easy to do that well which is why it became known for that. And then we have the 3rd game in that series which failed because they couldn't get the formula right in the end apparently. Not to mention, the classes in PSO2 play out far different from each other than the classes in Mass Effect do. That alone makes it a lot more difficult to do a good story if the writer has to account for variables like that.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I don't blame them for not allowing me to have a serious badass for a character in the story when that would look so different for each class and playstyle in those classes.

I DO think having more variability with what happens in the story based on the player's choices would be nice given the lack of anything that really happens from that now. Actual differences would be nice too rather than the classic "good ending if you just happen to pick these obscure choices" and "bad ending if you pick anything other than what we, the developers wanted." like PSU, and the PSP series tended to do.

Ezodagrom
Aug 27, 2013, 12:31 PM
I'm guessing that high pitched singing just wouldn't sound good?

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing that high pitched singing just wouldn't sound good?

NEITHER DOES HIGH PITCHED NORMAL TALKING FJO;SIHDF;ASOUIGFD;AUSDF

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2661&pictureid=36573

Alucard V
Aug 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
The "Heros" of Phantasy Star Online have a nasty way of turning into Bosses. Olga Flow, Dark Falz (duo)......

DEM_CIG
Aug 27, 2013, 06:20 PM
I am nothing without my group beside me. Being a super being sounds great, but anything that I accomplish shouldn't out way what my allies do. It take many people to win a war, not just one.