PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Lesson #1 - You're/Your

2Xtreme
Apr 8, 2003, 05:04 PM
I'm sick and tired of the kindergarten-level grammar and spelling on this site, so I'm going to try and teach some of you high school drop outs a lesson or two. Let's start with what is easily the most common grammatical error:

"You're" vs. "Your"

"Your" indicates possession. Examples:

"Your dog is really fluffy."
"Your fly is down."
"Your grammar sucks."

"You're" is short for "you are". Examples:

"You're not very nice."
"You're too kind."
"You're making me very angry with your awful grammar."

There. Not so hard, is it? I don't want to see any more "Your not nice, dude" sentences. Okay?

TeamPhalanx
Apr 8, 2003, 05:14 PM
I think a lot of those are due to simple spelling errors.

Anyway, it'd be easier to just say:

You're = You are

Mystil
Apr 8, 2003, 05:20 PM
And heres an interesting question: Why does peoples form of grammar bother you?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Eum
Apr 8, 2003, 05:26 PM
... Just shut up.

There are people who just can't spell, period. Grammar on a video-game site's forums is probably beyond first priority, and therefore, shouldn't be worried about. Your ego is already record-size, you can stop inflating it.

If a number of posts were being created where comprehension was impossible, I could understand; however, there aren't, so whining should cease. Furthermore, I'll analyze each and every one of your posts from now on, as it'll give me a chuckle to point out the irony in you posting this.

2Xtreme
Apr 8, 2003, 06:27 PM
Please do point out any errors that I make. Further improvement my grammar is a goal of mine, and should be a goal of everyone. I would actually appreciate that service. However, I don't see how my ego is "over-inflated". I'm just a guy who doesn't enjoy seeing people butcher his own language. You know that you've got nothing with which to justify your belief that my ego is "record size". Furthermore, you shouldn't imply by the style and content of your post that you're my superior. If you've got enough spare time to critique all my posts, then all you are is a person with problems.

With that, I am leaving. Say what you want in reply, but I'm done with this thread. After all, you know what they say about arguing with idiots: they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. You're clearly attempting to do just that. Remember the forum rules. If you have nothing constructive or positive to add to a topic, then don't reply. It's that simple.

EDIT:

Anyway, it'd be easier to just say:

You're = You are

I did. Read my first post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2Xtreme on 2003-04-08 16:30 ]</font>

Balthor
Apr 8, 2003, 06:28 PM
Wow, more grammar police.

People need more productive hobbies these days.

Zeebo
Apr 8, 2003, 06:30 PM
I am sorry if I'm not American. I know a little grammer but not to much..... I speak 6 other lauguges. Sure I live in America, but eh, I get em mixed up...

2nd... WHO CARES! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pandaroll.gif

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 8, 2003, 06:47 PM
Bonus points:

You're:They're::Your:Their

Mystil
Apr 8, 2003, 06:51 PM
Furthermore, you shouldn't imply by the style and content of your post that you're my superior. If you've got enough spare time to critique all my posts, then all you are is a person with problems.

But isn't this what you are also doing? Come come now. No ones perfect, and grammar is NOT that essential anywhere. People are just too lazy to decipher spelling.

Eum
Apr 8, 2003, 07:01 PM
"Further improvement my grammar is a goal of mine"

Grammar error!

ABDUR101
Apr 8, 2003, 07:07 PM
aye dunt undastand wut iz teh problum wif da way aye type?

Guile
Apr 8, 2003, 07:59 PM
On 2003-04-08 17:07, ABDUR101 wrote:
aye dunt undastand wut iz teh problum wif da way aye type?

Me needer!

Eum
Apr 8, 2003, 07:59 PM
Let's pretend that was semi-amusing.

ABDUR101
Apr 8, 2003, 08:10 PM
On 2003-04-08 17:59, Eum wrote:
Let's pretend that was semi-amusing.

No, lets not. 0_o

The point is, people will type the best they can, whether it's out of laziness or just in-ability, or for some odd "style". You can rant about it, people can argue with you about it, once you post something on a public forum, be prepared to get a plethora of different views about it.

As long as no one is flaming or making personal attacks, and following the rules, it's fine. Atleast be open to everyone's viewpoint since this is an online community. =)

Blenjar
Apr 8, 2003, 10:30 PM
On 2003-04-08 15:04, 2Xtreme wrote:
I'm sick and tired of the kindergarten-level grammar and spelling on this site, so I'm going to try and teach some of you high school drop outs a lesson or two. Let's start with what is easily the most common grammatical error:

"You're" vs. "Your"

"Your" indicates possession. Examples:

"Your dog is really fluffy."
"Your fly is down."
"Your grammar sucks."

"You're" is short for "you are". Examples:

"You're not very nice."
"You're too kind."
"You're making me very angry with your awful grammar."

There. Not so hard, is it? I don't want to see any more "Your not nice, dude" sentences. Okay?

None'll understand you, this is a dumb topic. I get A+ in my English class at school. Tho English is my third language. I know the diff. between your & you're. so back off http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

SorceressofTime
Apr 9, 2003, 06:53 AM
Like what ABDUR101 stated before, it could be just out of laziness of typing the way they do. Hell, I feel lazy all the time and that's why I type in lowercase (this post is an exception). What's wrong with that? If you can understand the post and what the person is on about, just shut up and be done with it.

KodiaX987
Apr 9, 2003, 07:24 AM
2Xtreme for president. This guy knows how to attack problems at the root!!

Raist
Apr 9, 2003, 08:34 AM
If there's a grammar lesson #2 I'm gonna kill something...

Elusive_Llama
Apr 9, 2003, 09:03 AM
I can accept spelling errors and grammar errors, but not in huge quantities. It's not that I hate seeing the language being mangled so badly. It's not my life, and I don't care if that other person is a sewage worker who dropped out from kindergarten because it was too tough. No, it makes it extremely hard for me to understand what the other person is trying to say. For example...

"omg u no wat i found a db sabbre lol and i used it to kill DF lololol i didnt loose once omgomg lol it was EZ lol your gunna be in 4 a big supprise if u find one lol it is da b3st wep evah peeps lol k im out to go fukk around in aminal crossing lol peaceoutkthxbai"

Llama's translation of the above: "I like cheese. My opinion sucks. Just like this moldy cheese."

BrokenHope
Apr 9, 2003, 09:55 AM
On 2003-04-08 16:27, 2Xtreme wrote:
I'm just a guy who doesn't enjoy seeing people butcher his own language.

Americans butchered the English language i don't see many british people complaining that Americans spell a ton of words differently than they do, or even call some things a totally different name.

E.g
English=pavement
American English=sidewalk

Stricker
Apr 9, 2003, 10:26 AM
If I do mistakes, sorry, I'm not so good writing english. Here's the only place I write english cause I don't have anyone to speek english with me. They all speak spanish. But, you understand my english? I don't think is that bad.

brillyfresh
Apr 9, 2003, 06:02 PM
i don't mind other people's grammar mistakes as long as i can understand what they're stating

but i can't stand my own ....

IceBlink
Apr 10, 2003, 05:41 AM
On 2003-04-09 07:55, Broken Hope wrote:
Americans butchered the English language i don't see many british people complaining that Americans spell a ton of words differently than they do, or even call some things a totally different name.

E.g
English=pavement
American English=sidewalk

Thing is, those spellings are accepted, because they're correct. And who says we don't complain? ^_^ Why, I'll have you Americans know that our jelly isn't called jello, and stop calling jam jelly, our trousers aren't pants, and pants to us is underwear... XD

Oh lord, the English language is so funny at times...

Sham
Apr 10, 2003, 04:40 PM
*shakes head*

First, hate for pre-faded jeans.

Then, headaches over minor spelling/grammatical errors.

Next, disgust in the tedious activity of having to tie shoes multiple times daily? (Or something equally asinine.)

LordCronai
Apr 10, 2003, 04:55 PM
Okay, I see what your saying. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zeebo
Apr 10, 2003, 05:14 PM
*shakes head*

First, hate for pre-faded jeans.

Then, headaches over minor spelling/grammatical errors.

Next, disgust in the tedious activity of having to tie shoes multiple times daily? (Or something equally asinine.)

No, next is how you need forks and spoons and knives to eat... I mean what the hell is that!

LordCronai
Apr 10, 2003, 08:15 PM
On 2003-04-10 15:14, Zeebo wrote:
No, next is how you need forks and spoons and knives to eat... I mean what the hell is that!

HEY! That's a real topic that could be subjected! Why the hell don't we just use our hands+teeth instead of forks+knives? Its at least ten times easier and faster, there's NO god damn reason why we use pieces of shit like those!
And don't give me the same lame fucking excuse as always:
"Your hands get dirty."
Its called USING THE GOD DAMN SINK. Try it sometime, it makes your hands clean.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif