PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Anyone glad this game got cancelled for NA?

Rosel
Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 AM
I hate to say it but I'm increasingly feeling like cancelling this game for NA/EU release was a very good move by Sega of America.

The game is simply subpar compared to what western gamers expect.

It might fly with Japanese otaku, but if Sega of America were to release PSO2 only to never release any challenging content, never release any balancing patches, never listen to feedback, and only trickle gachapon cash shop costumes out over the course of a year... raise level caps without giving those high level players anything to do... all hell would break loose.

Mark my words. If Sega localizes PSO2, the Phantasy Star franchise will lose any credibility it has in the west. It will become a laughing stock.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 20, 2013, 01:02 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53441276/PSO2/Gifs/Dance%2010%20MLA.gif

Exiled_Gundam
Aug 20, 2013, 01:06 AM
They did listen to feedback, though just the one that comes from JP :P

Zenobia
Aug 20, 2013, 01:10 AM

LOLZ dat 2 steppin.

Anyway yeah the amount of lol about to follow in this threads gonna be quite nice to read.

On a side note if it did come to NA at least it will get rid of some of the bad players clogging up the blocks.

yoshiblue
Aug 20, 2013, 01:15 AM
Regardless of the outcome. The future will still be interesting.

ReaperTheAbsol
Aug 20, 2013, 01:21 AM
If PSO2 comes out stateside, I can only wonder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFIQNlxTD3w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFIQNlxTD3w

jooozek
Aug 20, 2013, 01:23 AM
i'd be more glad if they cancelled it in japan too

NoiseHERO
Aug 20, 2013, 01:30 AM
Is it really cancelled or is it just another thread that begs the question:

"why do people still care whether or not it's even going to come?"

But if it's not just rant thread and it's actually confirmed to be cancelled then that piques my curiosity...

To know whether or not it's true...

Why am I typing like this something feels off-Ah who fukken cares.

AlaskanKactus
Aug 20, 2013, 01:34 AM
I don't give a damn about an NA release, when are we getting ultimate difficulty!?

BlankM
Aug 20, 2013, 01:38 AM
I don't think the quality of the game will impact profits as much as people say.

Its f2p. Casuals will eat it up.

Blundy
Aug 20, 2013, 01:40 AM
i don't feel particularly happy, no. but at this point i doubt i would want to start over again.

i imagine we would be singing a different tune if not for the hard work of some of the members of this community to make the Japanese version realistically accessible for the majority of us.

IzzyData
Aug 20, 2013, 02:13 AM
I'm still waiting for it. The hoops you have to go through to get AC is annoying and I'd be interesting in seeing the story.

Maronji
Aug 20, 2013, 02:19 AM
*sigh* Do we really need to do this at every turn? Was there really a need for this thread at all? It sounds like an excuse to get up on a soap box. Bait, if you will.

If you're really sure that you want to open up this can of worms again (considering how the last thread like this panned out), at least have the decency to change the thread title if there's no official word that the NA/EU version has been canceled. The way it's written makes it sound very absolute, yet your post is written as though that's what you think happened (and probably what you'd prefer to happen), and it doesn't contain a source. It's very misleading and, in my personal opinion, doesn't really send a good message.

~Aya~
Aug 20, 2013, 02:28 AM
PSO2 NA = troll target

blace
Aug 20, 2013, 02:28 AM
Rather the title sounds more of an opinion than it should be.

Same old topic, same old "PSO2 west is gonna fail hard" opinion/comment.

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 20, 2013, 02:34 AM
Just so amazing how people think PSO2 is bad when theirs been plenty of f2p games like it in the same play style that started wayyyyyyy worse at beta/launch yet turned out profitable in the west.

jooozek
Aug 20, 2013, 02:38 AM
Just so amazing how people think PSO2 is bad when theirs been plenty of f2p games like it in the same play style that started wayyyyyyy worse at beta/launch yet turned out profitable in the west.

that's because they at least have pvp so you can dick around

HandOfThornz
Aug 20, 2013, 03:54 AM
I hate to say it but I'm increasingly feeling like cancelling this game for NA/EU release was a very good move by Sega of America.

The game is simply subpar compared to what western gamers expect.

It might fly with Japanese otaku, but if Sega of America were to release PSO2 only to never release any challenging content, never release any balancing patches, never listen to feedback, and only trickle gachapon cash shop costumes out over the course of a year... raise level caps without giving those high level players anything to do... all hell would break loose.

Mark my words. If Sega localizes PSO2, the Phantasy Star franchise will lose any credibility it has in the west. It will become a laughing stock.

Thread title is misleading and there is no official source to suggest game has been cancelled.
The game is still officially slated for release in 2013....

Zenobia
Aug 20, 2013, 03:54 AM

And with PVP comes pay2win cause the person who spends more than you wins.

Blundy
Aug 20, 2013, 04:51 AM
pvp tends to be the death of balance and i dread it in any decent pve game.

Nikoshae
Aug 20, 2013, 04:55 AM

All of this and so much more.

UnLucky
Aug 20, 2013, 04:58 AM
And with PVP comes pay2win cause the person who spends more than you wins.

nah all ya need is scoops and inf juggles

milranduil
Aug 20, 2013, 05:58 AM
I'm still waiting for it. The hoops you have to go through to get AC is annoying and I'd be interesting in seeing the story.

Buying WM is annoying?

BIG OLAF
Aug 20, 2013, 06:04 AM
The game is still officially slated for release in 2013....

Looks like you need to update your information database. It's not releasing until at least 2014 now (if at all).

Afin
Aug 20, 2013, 07:11 AM
eh.. whether or not it is release in NA doesn't really matter to me. i will be playing on JP servers regardless

Nikoshae
Aug 20, 2013, 07:35 AM
eh.. whether or not it is release in NA doesn't really matter to me. i will be playing on JP servers regardless

I'll probably play the NA version only to go through story mode simply because I'm curious how the voice acting is done. I can always just watch videos of that, though.

I'll be sticking around the JP servers, though, until I'm either somehow banned for being an NA player on the servers, or everyone I know completely disperses ... or something. I like the folks I've met here.

Dragon_Knight
Aug 20, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'll probably play the NA version only to go through story mode simply because I'm curious how the voice acting is done. I can always just watch videos of that, though.

Nope...no voice acting. Remember SoA cut out voices for the portable Phantasy Stars to save a few bucks....or memory space depending on who you ask.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 20, 2013, 08:19 AM

I like making my own up =) Rockbear is an evil tyrant enslaving forest creatures and is a minion of dark force. You never actually kill bosses per se, because it goes against the hero's code of honor. Of course they never take the opportunity to learn why they lost and change their ways, but only because Dark Falz keeps corrupting them.

Vol Dragon is king of the volcano, but answers to quartz dragon, and noire draal is the ultimate queen of Amadeusca with dragon ex as her consort. They harvest humans (primitive on that world, can't really evolve into an advanced civilization if you're dinner). It is up to the Arks to free these humans, and of course Dark Falz corrupted them centuries ago to eat humans since humans have photon potential that could defeat him, so was a way for Falz to cover some bases by minimizing humans that oppose him.

Native humans on Lilipa are extinct, and Lilipans, who are almost extinct, have tales of this species. Are shocked to find that humans from beyond the stars fit the description of a now mythical race perfectly. Robots made by humans and Lilipans turned against them because of Dark Falz's influence.

Big cats are like Rockbear but in the snow and a couple instead of one tyrant.

Ruins are a temple dedicated to the Great Light and represent hope against all odds and adversity, as it celebrates when humans successfully fended off darkers in ancient times. Now, in a cruel twist of irony and insult, the darkers now control this field, and made the native humans go extinct. The message sent by the darker occupation is, "Hope? What hope!"

Melitta, Brigitta, and Hilda are your secretaries, and you are the captain of your own crew. Afin is your first mate, Marlu medical lead, Aki and Light are in the scientific division, Revelle is a misunderstood action girl who puts on a cold tough front but is actually nice, and darkers killed her entire family (explaining why she hands out darker quests), and Quna... is your girlfriend ^_^ (male characters only, otherwise is BFF). Jean is a former captain who came out of retirement as an adviser, and Joseph technically outranks you as a major with a specialty in tactical operations, but he comes along with you because he really loves doing field work usually reserved for privates and not just letting his men do everything once in awhile.

Khlotho is a cool dashing rogue figure and a ladies' man. He is a professional thief, and insists that no one ask where he gets his artifacts from. You know he's a thief, but say nothing because he is like an ethical thief who only steals from those who deserve it, like that blue haired winged girl in Breath of Fire II or Zidane from Final Fantasy IX. In short, he is a dashing adventurous thief, but prefers the term "treasure hunter".

Only thing he likes as much as stealing and women is marksmanship, and loves guns almost as much as Lisa does, but is much cooler about it. He easily could have been an idol if he wanted to, but prefers an exciting, unpredictable life.

Lisa has a huge crush on him, but he doesn't know it.

You graduated at the top of your class in Arks' military college, 20 years old, and made instant captain because of your aptitude. You reluctantly and nervously accept the post, but your competence and experience leads to greater confidence. Zeno is your big brother, so he technically outranks you too, and Echo is his girlfriend, but she breaks up with him and goes for the shell creature on Vopal you protect from her.

Zenobia
Aug 20, 2013, 08:55 AM
nah all ya need is scoops and inf juggles

LMFAO!

Arkanoid
Aug 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hmmm let's see....

It's not actually cancelled.

It's not subpar at all compared to the thousands of crappy online games that come out here.

They technically do release content that is more challenging than what was there for about half the current lifespan of the game (darker's den, advanced quest, extreme quest), with more things on the way as well.

They clearly have released several balancing patches, currently none of the classes or weapons really suck, although it is kind of lame how they basically gave some weapons a single new PA that is way too good.

They do listen to feedback, the majority of it obviously isn't coming from english players. Several changes have been made because of feedback.

They release things that aren't gachapon items pretty much every other month, but they are obviously going to release a lot of the things that are actually making them money every time.

Aomber
Aug 20, 2013, 09:59 AM
The game hasn't been cancelled, as far as we're concerned the game is still going because no cancellation has been announced and the NA website is still up.

There's been plenty of released content outside of the gachapon coupons, obviously they have to release those on a regular basis, it's a free to play game. They have to make money some how and Japanese players place a big emphasis on making their characters look good. Also Super Hard mode is supposed to be coming out in the next couple of months, which is supposed to add a higher level of challenge. While we can't say for sure if it will be or not, if it is a challenge, that would fit two of your criteria. Regardless, you have to realize that there's plenty of free to play games that have been outstandingly successful with far less challenge than this game has in the west, so that's not really fair to say either. And while we're on the subject, exactly what player feedback are you speaking of? The English community? Because you realize SoJ doesn't care about us at all, right? As the guy above me pointed out, they've been taking player feedback from Japanese players, which is obviously who they're targeting because they're the ones who can actually read the language without a 3rd party patch.

I think what people don't understand is that "localization" doesn't just mean translating either. It means catering a game to the market that you're releasing the game to. The reason they're probably releasing it in SEA first is because they have the english part of the translation done but they don't have to do much localization likely due to them having a similar appeal in games to Japan. The Western market, on the other hand, has a much different appeal for games as you pointed out, so there's likely some adjustments that have to be made. It's a lot of work and likely the reason it's taking so long to release.

Lastly I just wanna point out that PSO2 is far from the worst game in the series and if what you said is true the game should have lost credibility a long time ago, lol.

gigawuts
Aug 20, 2013, 10:01 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KuuktJh6c8I/T7yUjp9e_aI/AAAAAAAABOY/sLHmTr9Mwdc/s1600/misfits.gif

Zyrusticae
Aug 20, 2013, 10:08 AM
https://t6sxcg.blu.livefilestore.com/y2p-Kye7Yze01Xo8eW9zTg9Wh_Yd_rtVMA2Vb0RJVNWBobRHWLKQ0R sK_cSxVITtCPIMwU2t0OJg6sAKcMMAVvopgNkqajc4bXaw8k2E XCmF0I/ffxiv.exe_DX9_20130712_214814.jpg?psid=1

Crysteon
Aug 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
If it gets cancelled, the hopes of japanese xenophobics to free their ships of baka gaijins will be shattered ;_; (unleeeeess an IP ban is coming, which is not gonna happen since Sega is not that stupid to discard the AC incomes given by gaijins at all))

Aomber
Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 AM
If it gets cancelled, the hopes of japanese xenophobics to free their ships of baka gaijins will be shattered ;_; (unleeeeess an IP ban is coming, which is not gonna happen since Sega is not that stupid to discard the AC incomes given by gaijins at all))

Sega has known about English players for a while and they're not gonna ban the player base that has accumulated since like you said it's profit for them ultimately. The only reason they'd have to IP ban English players would be if there were rampant cheaters.

Regardless there's ways to get around that anyway.

Crysteon
Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 AM
And now my question is: Why do english players like to cheat and hack? (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194557)

pkemr4
Aug 20, 2013, 10:37 AM

if pso2 had pvp.... it would be unbalanced as fuck. also like another person said, it would be pay2win.

Shirokami
Aug 20, 2013, 10:38 AM
I'm really glad it's staying here.

jooozek
Aug 20, 2013, 10:52 AM
if pso2 had pvp.... it would be unbalanced as fuck. also like another person said, it would be pay2win.

i don't really give a fuck, just saying why those other turds managed to be "profitable"

HandOfThornz
Aug 20, 2013, 10:52 AM
Looks like you need to update your information database. It's not releasing until at least 2014 now (if at all).

Where is the official NA/EU PSO2 server date listed as 2014 or later?

Yes, the Asia servers are 2014 (early 2014? I think I read that somewhere on PSOW)

Yes, the game is looking later than 2013 for NA/EU but there is still no change as far as I have seen on any official SEGA statements?
Officially all i have seen is that there has been an official delay from a 2013 Spring/Summer release.

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/07/09/phantasy-star-online-2-is-coming-west/
This maybe extremely old but Ed has not (as far as I can see) changed the date.

SEGA now have a head of Free2Play for the western markets and EU CEO is quoting PSO2 officially in a recent interview, who knows when its actually going to get released in the west.

SEGA have 2 stands at the upcoming Pax Prime 2013, (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/182029/prime-2013-maps)
If PSO2 is close to release (e.g. Q3/Q4) this would be a good event to show the game at. Also it has been ages since I've seen SEGA have more than one booth at one of these events.

Zysets
Aug 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
And now my question is: Why do english players like to cheat and hack? (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194557)

Okay I skimmed through that thread, and I have to say more than 2-4 people like to hack. It does seem like westerners cheat more than japanese players, in my experience across multiple games. It's a shame though, because working your way up should be part of the fun of playing a game, not being there already through cheats and just going through everything easily.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 AM

...Why am I slightly mesmerized by this? Tis strange. o.o;;;;

Emp
Aug 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
Okay I skimmed through that thread, and I have to say more than 2-4 people like to hack. It does seem like westerners cheat more than japanese players, in my experience across multiple games. It's a shame though, because working your way up should be part of the fun of playing a game, not being there already through cheats and just going through everything easily.

If the players are given just the slightest opportunity, they will do it. Fortunately, I have learned my lesson and wont cheat again. Having capped 4 classes in PSO2, I love to have that sense of accomplishment after having put in alot of hard work in my near 2000 hours of gameplay.

Zysets
Aug 20, 2013, 11:15 AM
If the players are given just the slightest opportunity, they will do it. Fortunately, I have learned my lesson and wont cheat again. Having capped 4 classes in PSO2, I love to have that sense of accomplishment after having put in alot of hard work in my near 2000 hours of gameplay.

Yeah, I was sort of a cheater in games too, but I eventually began to enjoy the feeling of accomplishing things. If a game is single player, I may have a save I play seriously, and one that I just cheat/mod and fool around with, but I will never cheat in an online game anymore. If I want to be good and feel better than other players, I'll do it through actually playing.

Freshellent
Aug 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
Glad? Not quite. Still have a lot of friends that won't play because they don't want to trouble with patches and work-arounds. Can't say I blame them though, I'm kind of a nut for this series and I don't expect everyone else to be.

H1DD3N_SP1R1T
Aug 20, 2013, 11:29 AM
The game has not been cancelled yet. Sega has not announced anything further after the delay (that I am aware of (and I usually stay up to date with it)). I hope it still releases, especially on vita because I think it would help Vita sales and the NA Vita would get more games.

And yes NA people do seem to cheat and hack everything and that is quite saddening.

Zysets
Aug 20, 2013, 11:46 AM
To be honest, I'd be glad if we got an NA release, but I'd have a hard time leaving the JP servers because I wouldn't want to start over.

Emp
Aug 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
The game has not been cancelled yet. Sega has not announced anything further after the delay (that I am aware of (and I usually stay up to date with it)). I hope it still releases, especially on vita because I think it would help Vita sales and the NA Vita would get more games.

And yes NA people do seem to cheat and hack everything and that is quite saddening.

Dude, ppl wont go out and buy a vita just for one game. Vita sales are dismal at best and wont get any better if PSO2 is ported over to it in english(yes I know we have a jp vita version).

Korazenn
Aug 20, 2013, 12:17 PM

*looks at thread's title* *looks at your OP statement*

Please don't insinuate something you don't even know about. I was coming into this thread *actually* expecting some type of linked source to a news article stating that Phantasy Star Online 2 was canceled in the West.

You got my hopes up for nothing. :/

Funny.

I thought most Japanese otaku already knew of Phantasy Star Online 2's existence. A ton of people at my college's cafeteria who sit at (what we call) the 'otaku' table still play PSO2 JP and tend to buy a lot of games that are only released in Japan.

I don't give a damn about an NA release, when are we getting ultimate difficulty!?

This!

Step 1: Go to SuToCorp Japan Webmoney and click on the desired amount you want to add.
Step 2: Log-in to your SEGA ID account and click on the Arks Cash option.
Step 3: Select Webmoney as your payment option, enter the code, and confirm.

This is currently where we are in the PSO2 NA Server progress chart.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2916&stc=1&d=1376994004

This needs to be forever tied to Phantasy Star history just like the Sonic Cycle. I can't stop laughing at how true this is! :D

supersonix9
Aug 20, 2013, 12:21 PM
i'd be more glad if they cancelled it in japan too

me too

MetalDude
Aug 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
Honestly, they should just cancel everything. PSO2, Sonic, everything. Sega should be canceled.

Sayara
Aug 20, 2013, 12:48 PM
In reality, this thread is the only thing cancelled.