PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 SEGA Hints at a Decade Long Continuation of Support for PSO2 JP

Korazenn
Aug 20, 2013, 11:38 PM
From my update thread for those who may want an actual thread to discuss this important milestone:

For the first time in Phantasy Star history, a total of three million (you read that number right) registered users have been reported for PSO2 JP. PSO2 launched about one year ago on July 4, 2012. In recorded domestic history, over 100,007 users were online as its peak in late July 2013. In a way of giving us the biggest hug of all-time, SEGA hints at a decade-long continuation of online support for PSO2.

Commence the bear-hugging. <3

-----------------------------------------------------

Source:
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=2036

MetalDude
Aug 20, 2013, 11:39 PM
It makes you wonder what they could do in the span of 10 years.

Like fix grinding and affixing, christ.

Coatl
Aug 20, 2013, 11:40 PM
Can we really play this game for a whole decade though. :X

Shirai
Aug 20, 2013, 11:42 PM
SEGA better implement a load of new content to even keep it alive for that long.

Zyrusticae
There better be some graphical updates in this game's future, 'cause it's gonna look REAL long in the tooth when the next-gen consoles hit...

Korazenn

Considering I've played and been active in Phantasy Star games for the past 18 years out of 21 years (going on 22 on 8/25) that I've been living, I would say most definitely. Just like Minecraft, there is always something to do in Phantasy Star Online/2. ^^

(The only Phantasy Star games I never touched were Universe and the Portable series because they just couldn't click with me.)

Jaqlou Swig KING
It makes you wonder what they could do in the span of 10 years.

Like fix grinding and affixing, christ.

Don't worry, they'll fix it in the final 3 months of the game, along with giving us all free premium until the end.

Korazenn
Aug 20, 2013, 11:46 PM
SEGA better implement a load of new content to even keep it alive for that long.

I wouldn't doubt it.

Extra difficulties, classes/sub-classes, new skills, areas, weapon types, weapons (in general), etc. Match that up with new Episodes of content as well.

There better be some graphical updates in this game's future, 'cause it's gonna look REAL long in the tooth when the next-gen consoles hit...

Definitely. I don't want this game to be the equivalent of PSO by the time PSOBB came out...

Macman
Aug 20, 2013, 11:51 PM
With the way Sega handles their updates, the client's gonna be like 200GB by the 9th year. :wacko:

Freshellent
Aug 20, 2013, 11:54 PM

I still play PSO, not sure what that says about me though.

BlankM
Aug 20, 2013, 11:55 PM

PSOBB was a good game though. =(

Freshellent
Aug 20, 2013, 11:57 PM
I like how no one said that when they played BB, kind of like this game. I'm sure the sequel to this game will piss you off more than the current.

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 20, 2013, 11:58 PM

if I can endure the shit fest that was PSU for 5 years and play PSO with all the hacking I'm sure I can play PSO2 for 10 years no prob

Zysets
Aug 21, 2013, 12:07 AM

Same here, PSO is one of my all time favorite games.

EvilMag
Aug 21, 2013, 12:11 AM
let's see....3 million accounts created.

And yet...over 700k accounts banned for RMT, hacking, etc.

LETS CELEBRATE GUYS!

Sylphia
Aug 21, 2013, 12:38 AM
accounts banned for RMT/hacking, those numbers imho are a good thing, SEGA's keeping an eye on the garbage. If SEGA can keep pso2 going for 10years w/o fubaring it like squeenix did ffxi/ffxiv, I'm all for it ^^b

Rien
Aug 21, 2013, 12:44 AM
10 year spread of drip feed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgo-miAwec

Coatl
Aug 21, 2013, 12:54 AM
A decade worth of content though..I can't imagine.

NoiseHERO
Aug 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
I knew this would be the last major phantasy star game for a decade...

But it being alive for a decade?

9 more years of dressup?

You fucked up nah.

UnLucky
Aug 21, 2013, 01:00 AM
A new recoloring of last year's costumes twice monthly!

Can't wait!

Sylphia
Aug 21, 2013, 01:12 AM
A new recoloring of last year's costumes twice monthly!

Can't wait!

That's kinda happening now... orz

But even that said, SEGA's got my confidence based on the game so far. And what I've seen them do as a company for the players vs what I've seen other companies not do, speaks volumes over any press release or blurb or fluff.

UnLucky
Aug 21, 2013, 01:19 AM
When is the next player survey

Pretty much everything I complained about in the last one has been implemented

Enforcer MKV
Aug 21, 2013, 01:23 AM
When is the next player survey

Pretty much everything I complained about in the last one has been implemented

I've been wondering this as well. They need to keep releasing these surveys in a semi regular fashion.

jooozek
Aug 21, 2013, 01:42 AM
i really would love to see just what the fuck does sega see in their numbers
must be something really amazing if the game is so terrible and yet they claim 10 years

Shinamori
Aug 21, 2013, 03:51 AM
I give it another 2-3 years. In the meantime, the NA version will be dead after like 2 years. If it ever happens.

Arialle
Aug 21, 2013, 04:23 AM
a good implementation is to put psobb to pso2 with pso2 graphics of course....i would be more than happy to fight olga flow, shambertin and vol opt again

maybe 10 years later they announce PSO3 lolol

supersonix9
Aug 21, 2013, 04:30 AM
not surprising; game is way more successful than PSU and that game lasted for more than half a decade.

nevertheless it's a good thing to think about

worcanna
Aug 21, 2013, 04:47 AM
not surprising; game is way more successful than PSU and that game lasted for more than half a decade.

nevertheless it's a good thing to think about

So saying that. PSU was poorly handled by Sega in general. PC servers died long before the Xbox and all sorts. I think focusing on just certain versions with cross-play has helped them a lot in the long run too.

Ghalion
Aug 21, 2013, 04:57 AM
Something to think about, World of warcraft is 10 years old and still going...And they have NOT updated the graphics of their original playable character models (and many of the monsters,npcs and such I'm sure).

Now I know expecting any mmo to compare to WoW is generally foolish, but purely from a "I hope they update this and that and blah blah" standpoint, first off... they obviously will (though a satisfactory amount is obviously up to personal opinion). But even if they do NOT upgrade the graphics, like I said, wow is still kicking, and one subject it was NEVER amazing to begin with were its graphics, they made it with compatibility in mind to begin with, and to be honest, PSO2 had better graphics for its time during launch than wow ever did IMO.

Note I personally am not a graphic obsessed gamer, just something I thought was relevant to the convo.

People are also comparing pso2 to previous PSO games. Personally, I have higher expectations for pso2 because MMOs in general are alot more evolved now than before, and also mainstream. Before they were pretty much hardcore nerdy gamers only, but now mmo's are practically the most common form of gaming, open to casuals and non-gamers even. It'll reap alot more profits, and will get more invested towards it, and have more competition to strive to beat, and learn from.

Neith
Aug 21, 2013, 05:02 AM
10 years? Probably still not long enough for me to find Agito :lol:

Could also be read as 'we can't be bothered making anything new for the next 10 years' :wacko:

Nice to see the support is planned but really doubt I'll still be playing it in 10 years (prove me wrong, PSO2)

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 21, 2013, 08:13 AM
If we get a new episode each year...

Episode 4 Chapter 4 - Elder Resealed
Episode 5 Chapter 2 - Algolian Encounter (Ok I have to indulge myself somewhere on this list)
Episode 6 Chapter 7 - The Great Light
Episode 8 Chapter 4 - Encounter with Little Wing
Episode 10 Chapter 1 - Oracle Destruction

gigawuts
Aug 21, 2013, 08:21 AM
Did anyone actually not expect this?

All the real work that goes into creating an F2P game is mainly spent trying to actually get it started. When you have the framework everything else is dripfeed and recycled content. All they have to do is give it the bare minimum heart-squeeze once a month and this shit is golden for easily longer than a decade, providing the core content is actually good and they're not simply churning through the entire available market and won't run into the brick wall that is market saturation.

Oh wait that's exactly what will happen ha ha ha.

Ezodagrom
Aug 21, 2013, 08:21 AM
So saying that. PSU was poorly handled by Sega in general. PC servers died long before the Xbox and all sorts. I think focusing on just certain versions with cross-play has helped them a lot in the long run too.
The JP PC servers lasted a bit longer than the XBox 360 servers.

@Those saying that PSO2 will die in like 3 years or whatever, PSU survived for 6 and PSO2 is alot more popular, so, no, it won't die so soon.

gigawuts
Aug 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
There will always be more lonely weeaboos holding on to PS for their dear lives, having no idea the value of a dollar and throwing them away for pixel hats for the brief surge of endorphins when they hear the scratch sound hoping to get what they want.

IzzyData
Aug 21, 2013, 09:35 AM
With the way Sega handles their updates, the client's gonna be like 200GB by the 9th year. :wacko:

Actually their updates might all be like 1-2gb but instead of adding the differences to the file they redownload the entire files and replace them. Generally this only adds a small amount in the end, but it is still a very poor way of doing it.

BlankM
Aug 21, 2013, 02:22 PM
Regardless of graphics I don't think this game can last 10 years on the content its running. At the very least I don't think I'd want to play the game for 10 years. I would hope much better games are out at that point.

Do I think SEGA will eventually start releasing better content? Yes. Will it fix all of the games problems? Pretty doubtful.

Kilich
Aug 21, 2013, 02:32 PM
Personally, I think PSO2 is one the best mmos now, at least without a KSSN. That might be influenced by how tired I am of fantasy mmos, but nevertheless.

The question about whether they planned the game beforehand and then just broke it into pieces, or is it an ongoing development still bothers me though, because core class and gameplay mechanics are being expanded at glacial pace.

Also the question of how many sacrifices did PSO2 make, design wise, to release on Vita.

Golto
Aug 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
Ten years in and a lvl cap of 130.

gigawuts
Aug 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
650,000,000,000 exp tnl

lostinseganet
Aug 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
Same here, PSO is one of my all time favorite games.
Me 2 bro. I play through the wonder years of dreamcast. because back then for console games there was nothing like it. Dreamcast for life man.

Aomber
Aug 21, 2013, 05:48 PM
Too bad this isn't a good thing because the game isn't all that good. I'm already bored just after finishing all the current content and not even moving onto the higher difficulties.

I highly doubt this game has the capability of lasting a decade, and furthermore, I completely doubt that Sega of all corporations is capable of maintaining it with consistent quality updates.

~Aya~
Aug 21, 2013, 05:48 PM
Sonic generations was pretty to look at *____*...

I loved Pso1's colorful and vibrant areas, too. They need to bring that to pso2's levels along with the proper feel of hunting a rare.. like.. I dunno... Pso1 seemed to do oh so well at.

BlankM
Aug 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
Welp Kondibon posted what I was going to post.

Also I'd proly spend hours a day playing asteroids on a trackball if it had bitchin music. Thats just me though. Music tends to give me way more of a bias then graphics.

The Walrus
Aug 21, 2013, 06:12 PM
All I want is a sense of progression in the area design. Being able to just rush to the end and not give a damn got old after a while.

BlankM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
Arguably I feel like PSO2's areas feel as soulless and mass-produced as the game itself.

Which is pretty damn easy to imagine. Like some corporate people met up in a boardroom and threw darts at a wall. "Ah, we should make a beach level. Oh we need a foresty level too. People will like this"

gigawuts
Aug 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
That blank slate I love though! You don't see any people being herded like cattle, so you imagine offscreen areas where they are (my made up story for Amadeusca, rescue humans from being eaten by dragons). You don't commit genocide on those planets you destroy Dark Force's minions, and everything you kill works for him.

Yeah no your made up story is not actually real.

Arguably I feel like PSO2's areas feel as soulless and mass-produced as the game itself.

Which is pretty damn easy to imagine. Like some corporate people met up in a boardroom and threw darts at a wall. "Ah, we should make a beach level. Oh we need a foresty level too. People will like this"

This, except instead of that they're just following PSO1 as a rough template because nostalgia sells.

That said, I absolutely adore lush jungle settings, so I won't mind when they add that. The mountain better be different though, that level was hideous. Oh, also, subterranean jungles: get the fuck on it Sega.

The Walrus
Aug 22, 2013, 02:53 PM

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's what actually goes on there :/

AgemFrostMage
Aug 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah no your made up story is not actually real.

This, except instead of that they're just following PSO1 as a rough template because nostalgia sells.

That said, I absolutely adore lush jungle settings, so I won't mind when they add that. The mountain better be different though, that level was hideous. Oh, also, subterranean jungles: get the fuck on it Sega.

Well the game itself isn't real anyway. Maybe not canon but the less we know the actual story the better so we can make it up as we go along =) One can think of being the genocidal bad guy, another thinks we're the big heroes killing Dark Force's minions who caused their on human genocides on countless planets (Lilipa, Naberius, Amadesuca they only live as primitive cattle because Dark Force influenced the dragonkins' diet, etc.)

MetalDude
Aug 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
It's very clear that natives and darkers don't cooperate so yeah, I'd say Arks just don't give a shit.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
It's very clear that natives and darkers don't cooperate so yeah, I'd say Arks just don't give a shit.

It only looks that way because the minions fight amongst themselves. Darkers try giving them orders, but they want to do things their way.

MetalDude
Aug 22, 2013, 03:08 PM
No, I really don't think it works that way.

The Walrus
Aug 22, 2013, 03:10 PM
It only looks that way because the minions fight amongst themselves. Darkers try giving them orders, but they want to do things their way.

Stop.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
No, I really don't think it works that way.

But why would we fight both if they don't like the darkers either? Shouldn't we team with them instead?

Link1275
Aug 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
But why would we fight both if they don't like the darkers either? Shouldn't we team with them instead?
Natives are infected by darkers and thus hate Arks.

Zyrusticae
Aug 22, 2013, 03:51 PM
That blank slate I love though! You don't see any people being herded like cattle, so you imagine offscreen areas where they are (my made up story for Amadeusca, rescue humans from being eaten by dragons). You don't commit genocide on those planets you destroy Dark Force's minions, and everything you kill works for him.
Mate, as much as I respect your right to write fanfiction, you should at least familiarize yourself with the game's actual lore before you do so.

First problem: There are no humans on Amduscia who aren't ARKS. The only natives there are the dragonkin (and whatever the hell it is they eat, I have no idea how they get their energy on a planet like that).

Second problem: The natives are all infected by darkers and go berserk. When this happens, they attack everyone indiscriminately. They are not under direct control as much as they are simply mindlessly aggressive.

Honestly, the game's story isn't even that hard to comprehend, I don't understand how you could get so many details wrong without outright ignoring its existence...

Vintasticvin
Aug 22, 2013, 04:29 PM
Not expecting this game to last but huzzah to a potential ten more years. As for this thread... What in Shirai's name happened here @_@

I'd jump in on this graphics war nonsense but meh seems like a pointless battle to get in on =/

(PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!!!)

NoiseHERO
Aug 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
@ Zipzo/Zyru, You're both the same person.

Also fug I missed out on the derailed discussion of areas.

Anyway yeah more game's need fantasy beaches and floating islands.

As for anything related to the lore. I find it hilarious that this game's story is actually worse than PSU's AND unlike PSO and PSU the game has almost no lore to it other than arkz being secretly corrupt or some shit.

But obviously like what was already said and is already common sense to someone not a mindless fanboy. This game is just a cash tool. No more depth than a stick of gum that quickly runs out of flavor so it makes you want to get another stick of gum. But the experience get's lamer every time till you're sick of buying that same kind of gum and your taste buds are all fucked up from chewy sugary/sweetener filled garbage all day.

Somehow leading back on to topic. No one's really gonna put up with 10 years of that same stick of gum. But new people probably will, and fans will probably check back when a new flavor pops up. Sadly I'm sure there's worse games that have stayed alive long for a decade. (at least in their countries of origin.)

/Waiting to see if they release superior portable games on 3DS/Vita that's not related to PSO2's shitty story. <_<;

Freshellent
Aug 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
I like Rock's posts. Most of the time anyway. That one especially .

Anyhow, at the time of this post I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit. There's plenty for me to do and I still see the game as pretty new. It's changed enough for the better since when I was last on it and I find it even more funny that peeps here are discussing visuals and all I can think to myself is:

Well fuck you guys, at least -I- look good. among other things, anyway.

I used to think PSU's story was some of the worst I had come across, in comparison to the PSO1's anyway. I liked how PSO had a lot of mystery about it, there was a ton of dark shit inbetween the lines and the sci-fi feel was very strong and really a driving force for it. I think it's why I still play the game as much as I do.

PSU, had all that anime bullshit that I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy to some degree, but there just wasn't many games like it. And besides, I got to play as a fucking robot. (Don't bring up Warframe, it's a great game but fuck the melee- feels like I'm having a seizure when I use melee skills) But PSU had stuff like Bruce's Dungeon, which at the time was a blast. v.1 of the game was full of flaws, but I found that I could love each part of it and accept it for what it is. 1UP Cup, how we SAVED THE SHIT out of Neudaiz because it was easy, Moatoob burned up even worse than what the lore was for that place. Also, Protranser.

AoI... was a strange mix of lovely and not so lovely. Hi, Slicers. Thanks for making so much of the game even MORE trivial than before. New PAs and stuff were welcome, but you never played PS games for balance or real challenge. You just like the playset they gave you, jumped on the game with some friends and smashed some shit. It was great for that!

I could go on and on about it, but anyway. I think PSO2 is just showing as many flaws as all the other games and ya'll be playing the shit so much you just get nuts looking at it. It happened on PSO, it happened on PSU and it's starting over again here. Just chill, yo. This game is stickin' around for a while. Go play some other stuff. Or you know, get bent out of shape and post more angry shit at each-other. That's fine too.

NoiseHERO
Aug 22, 2013, 05:30 PM
Or you know, get bent out of shape and post more angry shit at each-other. That's fine too.

It doesn't have to be this way though, it just is. D:

At the end of the day I still like this game for scattered reasons, and I'd still rather play this over a LOT of other MMORPG's.

But for the things that drive you crazy and make you bitter and hate this game after 8 months. I'm definitely jealous of the new players that find this game the most fun.

Freshellent
Aug 22, 2013, 05:37 PM
I really don't hold it against any of you guys. Anyone who's upset in some regard kind of has a right to be. You all (for the most part) love this series as much as I do. So it's really easy to just be PISSED about something you like is getting a punch in the jeans repeatedly.

I play enough MMOs as it is. When I can anyway, I'll still take even the worst dick-head in this community over some of the other people I see on other games. Almost anyway, there might be a few exceptions here and there. Jesus, we have enough people crazy enough to make better patches and put more effort into getting it to us than the damn company that made it. We're really lucky, very fucking lucky.

I say it a lot and I'll keep saying it. This community, the fans of this series, there are too few of us to be bitter enemies or caps lock pissed all the time. Life's too short etc, just get the fuck over it. Get some friends, slap on some 1 star weapons if you want it difficult.

I remember fighting Fakis or whatever with C-Ranks at cap. We laughed so hard. Killed momma brain with only machine-guns too. The legit way, not that infinite super hax bullshit. Good times.

let's ship zyru and zipzo

tops and bottoms etc

Zipzo
Aug 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
I'd like to think I'm a little more elegant when I troll, I try not to limit my vocabulary to almost purely profanity.

If that's not the case why did you say anything more right there? He's at fault too as far as that goes, but you're persisting and acting like you're clean here.

Since when is this about being clean? I'll be a dirty old pig if it means getting someone to understand that they're wrong. A big fat dirty old pig.

[spoiler-box]http://t.qkme.me/3t4ycu.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Freshellent
Aug 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
You'd be surprised at the shit that some people are into. I mean, have you seen the posters on this forum? We're all freaks to some degree. A whole lot of them seem to like em' a little too young though. Might be that whole jp influence.

Man, it's good to be a robo-sexual.

Nilkemios
Aug 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
SEGA should stop making promises they can't keep.

Alisha
Aug 23, 2013, 02:36 AM
im already seeing a population drop in b20. could it be due to ff14 early access starting soon?