PDA

View Full Version : Why do I want a DEX mag on a Braver?

ChaosAngel92
Aug 24, 2013, 12:58 AM
I still don't get this.
Is it really worth spending all the S Atk bonuses that a pure Mag would give me, just to be able to use weapons faster?

Zenobia
Aug 24, 2013, 01:03 AM
First there is this http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195866

Second gonna leave a quote from my pal Zipzo as he covered how a full dex on a mag, with braver mag maxed operates.

I'm 60/60, but you're looking at the wrong side for a difference that is small in general.

I am indeed building a pure ability mag (currently I'm at 129, it's pretty tough goings around there). What you should be noticing in my case as of now is a 5-6% increase in my minimum damage variance...not higher crits...this is obviously a lot harder to quantify simply by watching a short video.

Essentially Braver Mag is a way to suck out more total DPS stat from your mag. If you're purely a melee or purely a bow Braver like most, you're essentially wearing a level 260 mag once your mag is pure 175 ability. If you hybrid then that's even better. If we're to quantify that 20 points of Ability or S/R-ATT are ~1% dps increase (that's sort of the general knowledge around here), you're looking at a 13% damage increase from a lvl 175 ability mag in either striking or ranged damage, instead of a 8.75% damage increase from a pure 175 S/R-ATT mag. Again though, this does not equate to higher crits.

At its core though, the mag should not be considered an "awesome damage buff" no matter what you build it as. It's simply "a nice boost" where you otherwise wouldn't have that boost, assuming your build spares the points. We're talking about only a handful of % increase from having a pure S/R-ATT mag...and that's only assuming that the ability cap is high enough to validate these figures...but I figure they wouldn't give us skills and aim the Braver towards building ability on their characters if they were capping the damn thing so low that it wasn't even worth getting after weapon dex modifiers and what not.

Think about it like this...using a pure R-ATT mag you might see the best crits you can muster (though not sure if you can still even equip a Rika Bow with 0 ability on your mag), but every time you do a hit where your damage falls on the low end of your variance, you are essentially "taking away" from those crits. Every single hit you are missing out on damage you can never get back, where as in my case I may not be able to hit as high as you as often, but my damage doesn't as often fall in the lower end so I make up for that over the course of a run. Having more stat overall than you on your mag, I am seeing a higher minimum damage more often then you are benefiting from higher hits ~4.25% more of the time. So do you see how small of a margin this is for improvement?

I have no issue killing almost every VH boss in the game barring exceptions (like Vardha) in only a few Kamikaze arrows (maybe 1 or 2 with a WB)...so take that for what it's worth. I use the best Bow in the game though.

Braver Mag is purely based on a % of your Mags ability, so there's absolutely no diminishing return to your S/R-ATT pay out. As stated, the only existing question is that of where the ability cap is, because we know there is one, it's just a matter of where. Maybe we're not even close or in danger of touching it and it's a non-issue but since there's no figure giving in-game or by SEGA we don't have any idea. Maybe dex even has a diminishing return? *shrug

Someone with a lot of ability would have test that they are receiving a benefit from that ability all the way up to the very last point and then document that point, so we have a starting baseline to go off of, then we can move that point further the more ability this player gets as they continue to see benefit from that continued building of the stat.

TaigaUC
Aug 24, 2013, 10:47 AM
DEX (ability) mag is probably the optimum choice for hybrid Braver, unless you like paying for extra mags, feeding them for months, and then having to swap between them all the time.

gigawuts
Aug 24, 2013, 11:01 AM
>months

Link1275
Aug 24, 2013, 12:44 PM
I still don't get this.
Is it really worth spending all the S Atk bonuses that a pure Mag would give me, just to be able to use weapons faster?
Simple, you can get a mag that gives you 75/75/0/75/0/0/0 rather than a mag that gives you 150/0/0/0/0/0/0 so long as you max the Mag skill.

gigawuts
Aug 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
Simple, you can get a mag that gives you 75/75/0/75/0/0/0 rather than a mag that gives you 150/0/0/0/0/0/0 so long as you max the Mag skill.

accurate numbers:
braver mag: 88/88/0/175/0/0/0
regular mag: 175/0/0/0/0/0/0

Yes, dex boosts your damage. No, I don't know why this irritating myth that it doesn't is persisting.

KazukiQZ
Aug 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
I plan for 65 S-Atk and 105-Dex.
So, 117/52/0/105/0/0/0
Since I'm maining Katana with using B.Bow on rare occasions (boss/omfg annoying Windira/etc...)

Currently had finish that 65 s-atk, but the dex part is taking so long (with the disc only raise one thing, Dex)

GALEFORCE
Aug 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
The unfortunate thing is that dex mag is only good for braver, so if you want to switch to hu or something you will need another mag. Braver mag would be good if you're dedicated to braver, or don't mind buying spare mags.

Link1275
Aug 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
accurate numbers:
braver mag: 88/88/0/175/0/0/0
regular mag: 175/0/0/0/0/0/0

Yes, dex boosts your damage. No, I don't know why this irritating myth that it doesn't is persisting.
Oh right, sorry. I'm not sure how I got so many numbers mixed up.

IzzyData
Aug 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
The unfortunate thing is that dex mag is only good for braver, so if you want to switch to hu or something you will need another mag. Braver mag would be good if you're dedicated to braver, or don't mind buying spare mags.

Mags are almost the only useful and worthwhile item you can buy with AC. Also happens to be one of the cheapest.

Zenobia
Aug 24, 2013, 02:52 PM

Unless you get your happy hands on Agito 8D~

ReaperTheAbsol
Aug 24, 2013, 03:09 PM
Unless you get your happy hands on Agito 8D~

Don't even go there. I'm still mad at you. :(

Zenobia
Aug 24, 2013, 03:11 PM
Don't even go there. I'm still mad at you. :(

You haz twin Kumai doh Q~Q