PDA

View Full Version : Event Narcissism, Gameplay or Style?

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 08:22 AM
Alright, it has been brought to my attention that many players, like me, care more about the style of their character then the skill or power of their character. I've gone as far as leveling a whole new class because there is a weapon only equipable in that class that would go so well with my character. So really, what do you care more about, Style or Gameplay?

strikerhunter
Aug 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
Why not both?

Z-0
Aug 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
Because SEGA is quite incompetent at that, evidently.

~Aya~
Aug 27, 2013, 08:55 AM
I would say both.. sort of lean more towards dress up chan online~

Grady219
Aug 27, 2013, 08:57 AM
I'll put it this way.... I had a level 50 Caseal when the cap was 50 for my main character... I started over my character and made a Newearl because casts have so little customization in my opinion that I couldn't stand using my character anymore.

gigawuts
Aug 27, 2013, 08:58 AM
Both, but fun before style. Something can be less effective than something else, but if it's more fun I'll use it anyway.

o0Kais0o
Aug 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
I want my characters to look good, but not to the point that it detracts from their capability in a run.

HIT0SHI
Aug 27, 2013, 09:20 AM
I only use the green version on my signasure 99% of the time. So I'll go with Gameplay more sence I'd prefer to play more than just use the game for fashion :l

Cyclon
Aug 27, 2013, 09:35 AM
Gameplay. "Falcon punches the sandbag to the left"

... no contest.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 09:38 AM
... I don't mean no gameplay all style, it's basically are you a narcissist in this game.

Korazenn
Aug 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
I'd say both. I play the game because it's fun, but I also think dressing up my character and decorating my room are both also very fun elements of the game.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:07 AM
I apologize for not placing both as an option.

Vintasticvin
Aug 27, 2013, 10:10 AM
If you don't look good whats the point of playing nyerk nyerk miley cyrus twerk.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:12 AM
If you don't look good whats the point of playing nyerk nyerk miley cyrus twerk.

Lol Vin:P

Sp-24
Aug 27, 2013, 10:30 AM
I keep coming back to this game because of the CUHRAYZEE-ish gameplay, but I also carry 17 different dresses on me at all times and visit beauty shop way too often. So, both, I guess.

Though if I had to choose between the two, I'd drop the dressup part right away.

Nikoshae
Aug 27, 2013, 10:34 AM
I go for a mix of both (why was this not an option for the poll?).

I have a really good bow on Nikoshae, and I have a rifle handy for Weak Bullet, and a Launcher for golf, and a Katana for slicing shrubbery ... I grind the rifle and launcher as I feel like it (+6 so far!) ... but his units are far from optimal. I use the lower-end musical units. They compliment the musical note emblem he uses, the fact that he wears headphones, and I use the harp bow camo because I am comfortable with my masculinity (or lack thereof). But aside from that I personally enjoy seeing the musical notes floating around him. I do decent damage, perhaps even above average. I destroy during Dark Falz, and really any other Darker (my bow is light element). I know I could do better, but I enjoy what I see, I pull my weight during groups ... so I see no real issue with units.

So, I go for a mix of style and gameplay, and lean towards gameplay where I can. It seems to be working so far!

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
I go for a mix of both (why was this not an option for the poll?).

I have a really good bow on Nikoshae, and I have a rifle handy for Weak Bullet, and a Launcher for golf, and a Katana for slicing shrubbery ... I grind the rifle and launcher as I feel like it (+6 so far!) ... but his units are far from optimal. I use the lower-end musical units. They compliment the musical note emblem he uses, the fact that he wears headphones, and I use the harp bow camo because I am comfortable with my masculinity (or lack thereof). But aside from that I personally enjoy seeing the musical notes floating around him. I do decent damage, perhaps even above average. I destroy during Dark Falz, and really any other Darker (my bow is light element). I know I could do better, but I enjoy what I see, I pull my weight during groups ... so I see no real issue with units.

So, I go for a mix of style and gameplay, and lean towards gameplay where I can. It seems to be working so far!

Like I said earlier, large fail on my part for giving tht option.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Aug 27, 2013, 10:46 AM
I do both. It's why I'll always be broke too.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 10:48 AM
I do both. It's why I'll always be broke too.

The truth of all truths^

Z-0
Aug 27, 2013, 11:01 AM
I think the question is what you deem more important, so "both" is not really a valid answer. :/

Gameplay is far more important.

Sp-24
Aug 27, 2013, 11:02 AM
I think the question is what you deem more important, so "both" is not really a valid answer. :/

Gameplay is far more important.
Well, the OP is replying to every single post, so I guess we can just ask for clarification.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 11:11 AM
...The question is which do care about more, the amazing customization of your character, being able to personalize him/her to a pretty decent extent and make them yours, very stylish or badass or queen of all loli's. Or do you like the ridiculous action, combat, leveling system, being the most powerful being you can become.

Would you rather be the one who looks badass and who is admired by all on PSOW as a style king like Meji for example, or someone who roflstomps everything in their path. I agree being both is the shit but that defeats the purpose of the question.

Zenobia
Aug 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
I will be honest for me I want to become stronger, I want to be helpful to my friends and my teammates. There have been times where I want to splurge on my character maker look bad ass I don't care for looking cute or none of uguu shit it just aint me.

The things is I value what I in a "Do I need this or want it" kind of matter.

I need better equips in order to to not feel gimped and become stronger to not be a burden, I don't need costumes as those are a want they will always be there.

So yeah I like em both and I do both efficiently I know how to gauge and not spend my money like its burning a hole in my wallet, I am not that person that feels I have to have every single thing Sega puts out on the scratch list cause I only buy what appeals to me. I am no collector like some people.

But if I had to be real srs I fall on the lines of game play cause I like EFFICIENCY

Crysteon
Aug 27, 2013, 11:41 AM
But if I had to be real srs I fall on the lines of game play cause I like EFFICIENCY

This by far.

I'm sort of a collector in terms of lobby actions and aesthetic tickets, but not to the point of sacrificing the performance and quality of my equipment.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Maybe so, but I've always been interested on how a Techer works so I'm going to try and be the best I can in it, Acro Cane just happens to match my style and be a pretty good 10*. But I agree, I wouldn't scacrifice my performance.

Totori
Aug 27, 2013, 11:53 AM
I'm more for style then gameplay. But it's not like I just discard gameplay, stats are also important.

Cyclon
Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
...The question is which do care about more, the amazing customization of your character, being able to personalize him/her to a pretty decent extent and make them yours, very stylish or badass or queen of all loli's. Or do you like the ridiculous action, combat, leveling system, being the most powerful being you can become.

Would you rather be the one who looks badass and who is admired by all on PSOW as a style king like Meji for example, or someone who roflstomps everything in their path. I agree being both is the shit but that defeats the purpose of the question....oh.
Well none of these options sound good to me. Guess I'm out.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
...oh.
Well none of these options sound good to me. Guess I'm out.

Which could you live without?

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 27, 2013, 12:09 PM
Neither this game sucks

I only play because I have friends on it

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
Neither this game sucks

I only play because I have friends on it

:quickdraw:

Jaqlou Swig KING
Aug 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
Which could you live without?

Style.

Though without style, I would get super bored as the game is now. Maybe if the gameplay itself were top tier fun, I wouldn't mind looking like a truck.

Sp-24
Aug 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
To be honest, when picking "Gameplay", I thought more about, well, gameplay. Like playing as a Force/Hunter with a parasol (currently trying to get the edgy sword) for an ability to use JG and an occasional PA while flinging techniques right and left at melee range, just because I (somehow still) like the action-y part of the game.

I don't exactly care about the numbers (mostly because increasing them involves meseta that I never have), and "useless" would be quite a compliment for my TA, AQ and XQ performance. So, should I change my vote to "style" or something?

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 27, 2013, 12:17 PM
Also people there is more to narcissism than just dressing up and designing a room.

Just a btw

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 12:23 PM
To be honest, when picking "Gameplay", I thought more about, well, gameplay. Like playing as a Force/Hunter with a parasol (currently trying to get the edgy sword) for an ability to use JG and an occasional PA while flinging techniques right and left at melee range, just because I (somehow still) like the action-y part of the game.

I don't exactly care about the numbers (mostly because increasing them involves meseta that I never have), and "useless" would be quite a compliment for my TA, AQ and XQ performance. So, should I change my vote to "style" or something?

Why? You pretty much just explained on why you like the gameplay, just because your not the best at it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it^^

Cyclon
Aug 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
Which could you live without?Well both(^_^')
Picking the one I'd want the least though, is not that hard... I would really HATE having people around here that admire me and are able to recognise my character on the spot. Being a nobody has its issues but, seriously, I'd hate being famous quite a lot more.

CloudChaser
Aug 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
Well both(^_^')
Picking the one I'd want the least though, is not that hard... I would really HATE having people around here that admire me and are able to recognise my character on the spot. Being a nobody has its issues but, seriously, I'd hate being famous quite a lot more.

Interesting answer^^

Rehal
Aug 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
I don't know ._.
"Gameplay" (improve equipment) -> feels okay with current equipment -> "Style" -> bored with "Style" -> repeat
Is what I do :c

~Aya~
Aug 27, 2013, 01:51 PM
Need a truckload of more clothes/accessories/hairstyles. I want to buy it aalllll. ^^!

Must.. own.. everythiiiing~

Is that weird?

BIG OLAF
Aug 27, 2013, 04:07 PM
It's not even hard to be competent and/or 'good' at this game, and you hardly need uber-l33t gear to be efficient, but I'll still vote for 'style', even though I enjoy both equally.

As far as 'narcissism' goes, there's a few people 'round here from both camps ('gameplay' and 'style') that have a boatload of it.

ReaperTheAbsol
Aug 27, 2013, 04:26 PM
I've been upgrading a lot lately to the point that scratches and other cosmetics are essentially an unwise purchase to me. I'll splurge once in a blue moon, but as of late cosmetics are far from my focus. Maybe another day.

Railkune
Aug 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
Well, I'm certainly no pro player with fully maxed out equips and perfect trees, etc. Nor am I a super dress up fanatic (though I will openly admit that I do get what looks good each scratch update). Guess I'm just a casual sort of player.

Zysets
Aug 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
Okay I admit I love dressing my character, but I still only really go out and fight stuff in a party more than I worry about the look of my characters. Yes I do buy outfits and edit my characters every once in awhile. I also love taking screenshots. But in the end, I started playing for the game, and yes I adore the game. Like I said in another thread, this is the first MMO style game where I find grinding to level up to be fun and entertaining. I mean PSO and PSU in general were always the kind of game where I found leveling up to not be a chore. Gameplay was the main reason I even got into PSO and the games from then onward in the first place.

Meireles
Aug 27, 2013, 07:48 PM
Both.
see attached

Project Astral
Aug 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
Personally, I don't believe "Style" and "Gameplay" really conflict in this game at all. I can spend almost every dime of meseta on outfits and still find reason to run and/or enjoy the content the game has. Now if you meant "Style" vs. "Gear" then we have something.

I definitely consider style more important than gear. I have always thought that and even my reason has stayed the same every time; the best gear now becomes more and more useless as time rolls on while fashion is forever! http://i.imgur.com/EzzCPmE.png

Zysets
Aug 27, 2013, 08:54 PM
Personally, I don't believe "Style" and "Gameplay" really conflict in this game at all. I can spend almost every dime of meseta on outfits and still find reason to run and/or enjoy the content the game has.

Perfectly put. The two go hand in hand if you want them too. You do need to play the game to even buy outfits hahaha!

SakoHaruo
Aug 27, 2013, 09:24 PM
When I saw Style vs Gameplay I thought op meant playing the game like Devil May Cry vs efficiency lol.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Both, looking good while hunting for rares is always a must

Gama
Aug 28, 2013, 12:49 AM
i would say gameplay should come first.

but i goota look hot while playing.

SallySalSal
Aug 28, 2013, 01:53 AM
You look good, you play good.

Shambertin
Aug 28, 2013, 02:07 AM
The people you refer to for playing dress up those "players" are the reason we can't have nice things, i know several people who lobbyfag in b20 ship2 who would rather stay in lobby and look "good" than get decent gear and play the game. i mean do what you want it's cool but some people i know who want to play this game and can't, yet here they are wasting lobby space looking like a twat. so in this poll i say playing the game is more important and actually making your character good comes first i only have latest cast parts cause i buy AC and get them that way, my meseta usually goes on gear/grinding/affixing. rant over. thanks for listening/reading.

strikerhunter
Aug 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
The people you refer to for playing dress up those "players" are the reason we can't have nice things, i know several people who lobbyfag in b20 ship2 who would rather stay in lobby and look "good" than get decent gear and play the game.

May you be need to remind that the b20 afkers are the minority of the game's population so there is no need to be calling a group of players *fags* or pointing fingers.

And no, the players that wants to look good are not the reason why other players don't get nice things. You have to remember the targeted audience Sega is targeting, so you cannot blame anyone but Sega. Not everyone can be happy.

CloudChaser
Aug 28, 2013, 11:05 AM
The people you refer to for playing dress up those "players" are the reason we can't have nice things, i know several people who lobbyfag in b20 ship2 who would rather stay in lobby and look "good" than get decent gear and play the game. i mean do what you want it's cool but some people i know who want to play this game and can't, yet here they are wasting lobby space looking like a twat. so in this poll i say playing the game is more important and actually making your character good comes first i only have latest cast parts cause i buy AC and get them that way, my meseta usually goes on gear/grinding/affixing. rant over. thanks for listening/reading.

The "Lobbyfags" on B20 are not all ass holes, some just finished a long run and want to chill awhile. There are usually 5 or 6 that are doing all the bullshiting, and the rest leave there computers on to jump back on later and not lose there spot on B20. I just stay away from B20 Unless I have TACO's to do and none of my friends are on. They don't just sit there because they look good they sit their cause they are either bored, just finished and want to take a break and chat, or purposely sit there and do nothing because they know someone like you is going to rant so they can laugh at it.

Rexob
Aug 28, 2013, 11:10 AM
I'm a bit narcissistic when playing, I just think Gu looks amazing, and I love the gameplay. However yes, I play things that look cool...I've played Ranger since PSO on the Dreamcast, but it's a boring style and looks boring...Gu is just fun =)

moeri
Aug 28, 2013, 11:19 AM
To me this is a REALLY fancy dress up game with a minigame that is an MMORPG, which is played to get money for the dress-up portion of the game.

Z-0
Aug 28, 2013, 11:20 AM
Actually he's quite right. The amount of players who dress up their characters and buy AC for aesthetics far outnumber the amount of people who buy AC for other reasons (mainly because you can spend $500 on AC Scratch but anyway), so SEGA are going to target those people.

If the playerbase was more about the content and the gameplay and yearned for things other than aesthetics all the time, SEGA would most likely shift their target audience to make cash from that.

gigawuts
Aug 28, 2013, 11:26 AM
There have always been three groups of PS players

1. Game players
2. Chat roomers
3. Both-ers

Then there's a different category of groups that people fall under
A. People who hate either 1 or 2
B. People who understand that not everyone comes to a game for the same reason as them and that different people are not a cancer in their given community

Which are all of you lot? Because it looks like some of you are blurting out "CANCER" to me.

edit: my brain thought it wrote wrote both-ers, but the word that came out was bothers, welp

KazukiQZ
Aug 28, 2013, 11:43 AM
Why i can't vote both? x(

CloudChaser
Aug 28, 2013, 11:43 AM
Ok I know you meant something completely different but that brings up a question, when is Scorpio going to be apart of the style and weapons like Taurus, Leo, and Gemini? Sorry but yea I get your point.

Daiyousei
Aug 28, 2013, 11:45 AM
I have no idea what you meant by Narcissism but I do like being a combat aestheticist, with PA mixes.

CloudChaser
Aug 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
I have no idea what you meant by Narcissism but I do like being a combat aestheticist, with PA mixes.

An egotistical, selfish bastard who is obsessed with him/herself by definition.
But basically what I mean is, your obsessed with your looks in the game more than you are about how powerful you and your weapons are, or vice versa.

Daiyousei
Aug 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
Already voted Style anyways for flashy PAs

gigawuts
Aug 28, 2013, 11:53 AM
But basically what I mean is, your obsessed with your looks in the game more than you are about how powerful you and your weapons are.

You do realize both can be narcissism, and usually the most narcissistic people around here never shut up about their megaleet skillz and ubergear, right?

"Looks" doesn't mean just visual appearance. It means status and other peoples' perception. It means they seek validation like the rest of us seek air.

CloudChaser
Aug 28, 2013, 12:19 PM
But basically what I mean is, your obsessed with your looks in the game more than you are about how powerful you and your weapons are, or vice versa.

Better?

Ship2Mikeh
Aug 28, 2013, 12:20 PM
I bought a black suit when they were 6M... that was cool

CloudChaser
Aug 28, 2013, 12:26 PM
I bought a black suit when they were 6M... that was cool

aren't they like 105k now?

Amaranthus
Aug 29, 2013, 12:33 AM
Hmm... proud to say I'm both... Although I've undoubtedly spent more meseta on accessories hairstyles LAs and whatnot... Sega updates them regularly, t-thats why. :D

Chik'Tikka
Aug 29, 2013, 01:25 AM
KAP-NARcissus equipped+^_^+

Lockon Stratos
Aug 29, 2013, 02:34 AM
I would say both, I think in the beginning i was all about style, but once i got my character they way i want him then ive started to focus more on gameplay. But im uncompromising when it comes my rear unit, i still use ribble fray (fire EX cube unit) even though im missing out on my set effect because of that. Ive wasted alot of money buying new parts and costumes only to prefer what i was using before. So basically style, but increasingly gameplay.

Zenobia
Aug 29, 2013, 03:13 AM
This is how you know most people care about game play and being strong for example.

I was on B20 today to do some TA runs. I hear a convo between 2 people the and this female players ask this guy can he join his Vh TA runs.

Wanna know what he said?

"Hell no your gear sucks I will not carry you!"

The funny thing is the female player was dressed the part looked cool but dayum guy really shitted on her because of her gear LOL....!?

Kind of a dick move but hey some people are rally like that. You can spend your money on looking good but when you splurge to much to the point where you don't care about fixing your gear then hey you did it to yourself.

Causal players man....some people really get irritated when the rest of the party is doing like 10x's your damage and you're doing Normal difficulty damage lol.....

Imjake
Aug 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
I care about both for sure, but not equally. Style matters in what my char. looks like. My 4 characters are completely unique. No one Ive seen on ship 2 looks like them. However, Im not going to exclusively use sub par weapons and armor to get a certain look. I will, however, keep certain weapons on my pallette if I think they look particularly awesome or go with my char. really well and bust them out in the lobby or use them on easy missions. Like the 8 ouncer-knuckles for example. They go very well with my fighter char.'s look. So when screwing around in the lobby I have them out and I use them in battle when the battle is easy or im running a lowbie through missions. But if you are playing in a party and screwing people over because you SOLELY use a sub par weapon or armor because of its looks and Im leader, you're getting das boot!

Zyrusticae
Aug 29, 2013, 07:21 PM
There really should be a "mix of both" option.

I refuse to use superior weapons if they look really awful (which, sadly, goes for a LOT of rares in this game - the current katanas in particular fall under this category for me). I'll just sell them and buy something else instead if they drop for me.

That's about as far as it goes, however. I will generally play in an efficient manner, though I don't go so far as to triple-dash on a regular basis or refuse to use PAs that aren't hyper-efficient. In practice, I will naturally gravitate towards the strongest PAs because, hey, they work. It's kind of a hard thing to shake once you get used to clearing fields in seconds. I also make sure to have everything ground to +10 and affix at least a soul + stat III (actually, that's as high as I'll go in most cases - I just don't have the patience to triple-affix things).

Okay, there is ONE thing I do that might get on others' nerves... my Force/Techer uses dark techniques exclusively. Well, almost so. I do use zonde and zondeel every now and then, and against Dark Falz I don't bother with dark at all because of his insane element resist, but otherwise, Megid all the way! I admit, I've become kind of addicted to Namegid, though I'm not so attached to it that I won't use the other techs in situations where they're warranted. It's just an aspect of Aiza's character that I don't feel comfortable letting go of, and damn it, dark techniques are just so damn badass!

TheAstarion
Aug 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
Style, by a slight margin.

I make a character for looks, then give them a style, and attempt to build the style from class synergy... I'll sacrifice stylistic PA choice for the optimal ease-of-use PAs though. No point making a FITE and not using Deadly Archer, amirite? At least DA is so OP that what I lose in damage from not being FIHU. I'm saving for an ultimate affix Twin Brand, rather than making a Jinrai of my own, because yellow weapons don't fit my style either.

And sometimes, all I want is to be one class, so my sub is based entirely on what synergises best with it. So the stylistic choice was a RAcaseal, the gameplay choice was to make RAHUcaseal.

SakoHaruo
Aug 29, 2013, 08:42 PM
A color editor or color palette for weapons would be fucking amazing!

All white Elder Pain..... dies ;u

Freshellent
Aug 29, 2013, 08:49 PM
After careful consideration, I realized something. I have so little time to play this game as it is ( think I post more than I play at this rate) I could honestly say I do everything nearly as evenly as possible.