PDA

View Full Version : Episode 2 Darkers

Houten
Aug 29, 2013, 04:24 AM
Was there any explanation/theory regarding the design of the new darkers you encounter on the ocean planet? They see far more ornamented than standard darkers (makes me think of ancient Egyptian theme....)

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 04:27 AM
They certainly have a lot more gold on them but they aren't much more ornate or detailed compared to other Darkers when you stop to look at them. I'm pretty sure they're just supposed to be a 3rd variety. I've been speculating that the different kinds of Darkers are under different aspects of falz, but I don't think they're special in and of themselves.

Sp-24
Aug 29, 2013, 04:27 AM
Don't think so. Guess it's just another genus of darkers, like how we suddenly got darkers made of stone in the Iceberg update.

Houten
Aug 29, 2013, 04:43 AM
They certainly have a lot more gold on them but they aren't much more ornate or detailed compared to other Darkers when you stop to look at them. I'm pretty sure they're just supposed to be a 3rd variety. I've been speculating that the different kinds of Darkers are under different aspects of falz, but I don't think they're special in and of themselves.

That was my thought as well after seeing the event tablet after defeating falz. Which to me was pretty neat idea.

Rien
Aug 29, 2013, 06:18 AM
Fools, these aren't even their final forms.

Scale of Judgment
Aug 29, 2013, 06:22 AM
You mean the Heartless in Destiny Island?

AgemFrostMage
Aug 29, 2013, 06:24 AM
I think it's great they add something weak to wind, makes my wind tree useful for something other than Varder. Except for Org Blan stage (the one I run the most) I bring wind tree to the beach.

I don't like how much HP they gave to the Luda Sorcerer though it's as if the devs knew zan blades would constantly run through them and programed accordingly =(

At least Nafoie spam the core when they're down does the job.

milranduil
Aug 29, 2013, 06:48 AM
I think it's great they add something weak to wind, makes my wind tree useful for something other than Varder. Except for Org Blan stage (the one I run the most) I bring wind tree to the beach.

I don't like how much HP they gave to the Luda Sorcerer though it's as if the devs knew zan blades would constantly run through them and programed accordingly =(

At least Nafoie spam the core when they're down does the job.

This has no relevance to the topic at all...

AgemFrostMage
Aug 29, 2013, 06:55 AM
This has no relevance to the topic at all...

Luda sorcerer is an episode II darker.

yoshiblue
Aug 29, 2013, 06:55 AM
Not sure how long they've known all the planets but it could be Darkers from different eras? Or maybe they just follow under a specific Falz man dood chick bad guy vessel?

Shirokami
Aug 29, 2013, 07:12 AM
Japanese are always secretly telling us that aliens are both connected with ancient civilizations/religions. (But now this sounds like a joke thanks to history channel, good job)
Yes, Vopar darkers seems to be pretty egyptic styled, I wonder if they're related to lady darker..

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 07:26 AM
You mean the Heartless in Destiny Island?I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they look a lot like heartless...

Not sure how long they've known all the planets but it could be Darkers from different eras? Or maybe they just follow under a specific Falz man dood chick bad guy vessel?The implication seems to be that the different varieties of Darkers are from other planets that have already been completely taken over, not from any of the existing planets. The Darker Den might be a conglomerate of all the worlds they've consumed, which is why the sky is full of parts of ARKS ships and the geography is so chaotic.

Japs are always secretly telling us that aliens are both connected with ancient civilizations/religions. (But now this sounds like a joke thanks to history channel, good job)
Yes, Vopar darkers seems to be pretty egyptic styled, I wonder if they're related to lady darker..General consensus is that the word "jap" is a slur, though to be honest I doubt any actual japanese people living in japan would care anymore than I'd care if a european person called me a yank. But still... Try to avoid it.

Also based on the design of her costume I'm pretty sure Apprentice is in charge of the bug darkers.

Luda sorcerer is an episode II darker.
We're talking about lore and background, not stats and gameplay.

gigawuts
Aug 29, 2013, 07:40 AM
This seems like a relevant thread to ask this, so I'll give it a shot.

A while back I read something about different darkers being fully infected species from planets we hadn't yet discovered. Is there anything supporting that in the actual game? Or is it just fan speculation? Because it's fucking cool, and leaves open the possibility of stumbling into one of those planets at a later date. It'd be awesome finding a planet almost fully colonized by the now-dead dagan race, or going to an area with uninfected dagashes and dagachas that stick to water areas, etc.

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 07:49 AM
This seems like a relevant thread to ask this, so I'll give it a shot.

A while back I read something about different darkers being fully infected species from planets we hadn't yet discovered. Is there anything supporting that in the actual game? Or is it just fan speculation? Because it's fucking cool, and leaves open the possibility of stumbling into one of those planets at a later date. It'd be awesome finding a planet almost fully colonized by the now-dead dagan race, or going to an area with uninfected dagashes and dagachas that stick to water areas, etc.I remember reading it SOMEWHERE, but I don't remember where. If anyone remembers the source let us know. Like I said in my last post though I'm pretty sure Darkers' Den is what's left of the worlds they took over. I really hope this is the case though, 'cause I'll be disappointed if we see an oodan turn into a darker and suddenly it's a dagan. D: I still want to punch my new shiny montor over that whole "SEED can infect humans!!11!!!@" thing just turning them into generic enemies in PSU. I was actually kinda hoping Chrome Dragons would be Darker Dragons, but that story thread seems to be going in a mostly different direction.

gigawuts
Aug 29, 2013, 07:54 AM
Darkers Den looks like the inside of an ARKS ship, though. If you look up you can see plain old space - as opposed to sky - and even remnants of the city.

Kilich
Aug 29, 2013, 08:14 AM
I think Aki says that, during her caves story mission. Any contact with Darkers, including their attacks, causes mutations.

Eventually it drives the targets insane and causes them to attack everything until they become darkers.

And unless you use photon weapons, that disintegrate their target like in the intro, they'll just mutate themselves a new vessel out of the nearest matter, be it stone, or enemies.

Boosted Vol went back to normal after you destroyed the boost bulb, so the boost, probably, is a way to flash mutate a specific target.

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 08:20 AM
I think Aki says that, during her caves story mission. Any contact with Darkers, including their attacks, causes mutations.

Eventually they drive the target insane and cause to attack everything around them until they become darkers.

And unless you use photon weapons, that disentegrate their target, they'll just mutate themselves a new vessel out of the nearest matter, be it stone, or enemies.

Boosted Vol went back to normal after you destroyed the boost bulb, so the boost, probably, is a way to flash mutate a specific target.I think the bulbs are like that fungus in The Last of us. It starts growing after they've been infected for a while. We just haven't seen what happens afterwards. >:

Darkers Den looks like the inside of an ARKS ship, though. If you look up you can see plain old space - as opposed to sky - and even remnants of the city.

The stuff floating in the sky yeah, but the actual architecture doesn't look like anything from the arks ships with all those spirals, triangles and weird curved walkways.

gigawuts
Aug 29, 2013, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I figure that was all assembled by the darkers.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 29, 2013, 08:23 AM
I always wondered about the bulbs and thought it might be corruption, but darkers have them too. The Darkers taking over other worlds theory sounds good maybe we can visit and liberate those planets someday? Also I'd like to know how the Great Light fits into all this. Great Light defeated Profound Darkness so they have a higher power level, and like Goku in the Frieza saga not being scaled up enough to be a match for Cell we aren't ready for it yet. Maybe when we're in the 70s/80s?

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I figure that was all assembled by the darkers.That's possible but they seem too mindless to actually bother to create anything, not to mention how haphazard and ruin looking it is. It's like it was built, then destroyed, then cobbled back together.

I always wondered about the bulbs and thought it might be corruption, but darkers have them too.

THIS!^ THIS A THOUSAND TIMES! What's up with that? D:

Also I still think, the attacked Arks Ship, the Arks Ship Ruins (where you fight falz), and Darker's Den are going to be the 3 areas for a new "planet" later.

I'm pretty sure that "intro" music to the falz and falz hands battles is actually the normal battle music, and we've only been seeing the boss room for the area.

gigawuts
Aug 29, 2013, 08:34 AM
It's possible that they're operating on a hivemind mentality. I mean, look at the structures real life insects create, starting the day they hatch.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgN76vYOgM

That's some complex and functional stuff. The Darker Den is MORE complex, but still. They're aliens. Uh...photons.

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 08:38 AM
It's possible that they're operating on a hivemind mentality. I mean, look at the structures real life insects create, starting the day they hatch.

example:
Ant Colony - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgN76vYOgM)

That's some complex and functional stuff. The Darker Den is MORE complex, but still. They're aliens. Uh...photons.

That makes a lot of sense, though I still feel it's made of the stuff they got from the other worlds (and thus all that's actually left). Maybe the whole reason they're taking the arks ships is to use them as raw materials.

yoshiblue
Aug 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
Makes me question the true intelligence of our clones. Hopefully we'll see it in a cutscene.

Houten
Aug 29, 2013, 08:42 AM
Yeah no clue why the boost bulb attach to darker, maybe it infects non-darker but also have beneficial effect on darkers as well? Or (out the left field) active competition to bolster numbers between darker species so the try to change insect into bird type?

So far I have classification based on apperance:

Elder: Aquatic type (Wonda and Kuklonahda) with rocky texture.

Apprentice: Insect type (Ragne and Dagan)

Twin/Mask?: Bird type (our ep2 bling darker) but this doesn't fit cause neither have any gold accent or avian like features.... so maybe another falz out there? lol

This is just my speculation and wild guess.

Kondibon
Aug 29, 2013, 08:44 AM
Makes me question the true intelligence of our clones. Hopefully we'll see it in a cutscene.

Pretty sure the clones are dumb as crap and just used for their power. XD Though I think a clone coming up in the story would be interesting. inb4 there's a Body Snatcher's style plot and we have to fight Clone!Xeno or something. That would explain where he's been.

Yeah no clue why the boost bulb attach to darker, maybe it infects non-darker but also have beneficial effect on darkers as well? Or (out the left field) active competition to bolster numbers between darker species so the try to change insect into bird type?

Twin/Mask?: Bird type (our ep2 bling darker) but this doesn't fit cause neither have any gold accent or avian like features.... so maybe another falz out there? lol

It might become more clear who the bird darkers go with once we see Twin and/or Mask's Falz forms. Since, really the only reason Elder gets matched with the aquatic darkers is because of his falz form. His human form's outfit looks a lot like the Twins'.

strikerhunter
Aug 29, 2013, 08:57 AM
I always wondered about the bulbs and thought it might be corruption, but darkers have them too.

This is easily explained for most Darkers, it could be a massive corruption they to through before turning into their rare form. Dagan---->Dagan Nero

Though this can't really explain it for Ga/Gu Wonda, Katagort, small fishes, Luda, Cyclones, Kuklonahda, Krabahda, Krahda, El Ahda, and Breedhas. For them I guess it be like a mutation that makes them stronger or something.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 29, 2013, 11:22 AM
All wondas should have that bulb, makes targeting with namegid that much better =)

Anyway it is about story and not gameplay the thread as stated so I'll say we can never have enough darker types. It would be cool to have energy based life turned into darkers and we fight these big black and purple spheres radiating electricity and originally lived on stars.

Kilich
Aug 29, 2013, 11:32 AM
I don't think that darkers were born on the stars.

I remember reading something about Great Light and PD being factions of an ancient civilisation that had a civil war. I think it was because of their approach to things, GL turned energy into matter, while PD turned matter into energy.

Then something happened and PD were sealed.

And now in pso2, we have intelligent space radiation clouds that mutate things to create themselves a vessel. Or maybe only Falz are intelligent, while others are just attracted to photon usage by ARCS and other races.

AgemFrostMage
Aug 29, 2013, 11:39 AM
I don't think that darkers were born on the stars.

I remember reading something about Great Light and PD being factions of an ancient civilisation that had a civil war. I think it was because of their approach to things, GL turned energy into matter, while PD turned matter into energy.

Then something happened and PD were sealed.

And now in pso2, we have intelligent space radiation clouds that mutate things to create themselves a vessel. Or maybe only Falz are intelligent, while others are just attracted to photon usage by ARCS and other races.

No, darkers weren't, but energy beings corrupted by them, like dagans used to be normal natives until complete infection. If birds, insects, and fish can be assimilated into the darker hive why not energy beings?

Yes I remember the war, in PSIV you had to fight some of the Great Light's minions but as tests they weren't bad guys. We need some of those guys but for the GL.

landman
Aug 29, 2013, 04:14 PM
For me the new darkers look like Bayonetta angels, and the darker den is an arks ship... attacked, and rapidly "infected"/deformed? you are on the ceiling all the mission, on area 2 the ship is already destroyed, like in the vita intro. I think this because you are on your ship, you are about to leave, and then the campship crashes...

Renvalt
Aug 29, 2013, 04:40 PM

Based on things said here and what I've seen thus far, I can be pretty certain that Persona is the Lord of the Avian Darkers. The Avian Darkers are supposed to be Egyptian themed, right? Persona's mask resembles part of the head of Horus - all it lacks is the beak portion. Also (spoilers ahead) the recent storyline development has Persona cockblocking Maria when she attempts to exorcise Elder when y'all are saving Zeno's hide. And considering that we've seen more of Persona in recent patches than of Apprentice (the Border Break appearance and E-Code addition, in addition to the fact that even most of Episode 1's content has Persona's mug popping up almost all the time) makes me think that Falz Persona is going to be the Episode 2 big bad Falz.

And besides, we've seen virtually diddly squat of Apprenctice (save for like, two cutscenes in Episode 1). I think it's time we finally put that annoying masked freak down.

My other theory is that SEGA's proceeding in a PSO1 format with how they design the Falzes. Episode 1 Dark Falz was really bulky in size for its first two forms (which fits Elder's appearance), Olga Flow was sleek and had two forms of combat (fits Zeno and Persona), Episode 3 had a different penultimate final boss depending on your route (Castor and Pollux, which Double is very similar to), and as for Episode 4.... didn't the Pioneer retrace something back to the origins of the whole "leave for Ragolian refuge" deal (that would fit with going back 10 years to find the whole "source of Afin's imouto's disappearance" shtick, which may explain the deal behind Apprentice's host).

I mean, given what we've seen so far, it looks that way. Not to mention that Blu Ringahda being a huge ass Bird Darker makes me think of a cheap Gal Gryphon remake attempt. Except, y'know, they went the Chaos Bringer route with him.

I dunno, man. This is just speculation at this point.

yoshiblue
Aug 29, 2013, 04:42 PM
Or showing up more often to prevent you from changing history.

Renvalt
Aug 29, 2013, 04:55 PM
Or showing up more often to prevent you from changing history.

Would go hand in hand with what seems to be a "jealousy" theme that seems to be happening to Zeno. He couldn't protect Echo, couldn't save Gettemhalt from being eaten inside out (by Elder of all things), and you always seem to outclass him in a lot of stuff. Perhaps his attempts to maintain the status quo of history is an attempt to avoid you getting the better of him?

Seems to me like that'd be something Zeno would do. That fight he had with Gettemhalt was something he "doesn't like showing off all that much", right? What if he's been keeping other stuff hidden deep inside?

We saw Theo go from meek and pathetic to downright dangerously insane (far more so than Lisa - she may be insane, but at least she's kept in check by her own design as a Cast), we saw Gettemhalt pretty much get served by his own ambitions (and by extension allowed us to see his own hidden cowardice and immaturity) - at this point, you have to expect that SOMETHING would happen to Zeno (especially after all he's been through).

The big question though is, what will happen to him? And how will Persona tie into all of it?

Houten
Aug 30, 2013, 04:47 AM
@Renvalt

When does this new development show up on matterboard? I just completed the EP2-1 with Echo route, and was told there is a Theodor route I need to do on the same map to unlock the new 2-2 that was released a week ago.

Unless its in the arks tournament which I have not done yet.

Need to make sure cause I'm not sure 2-2 is translated so pointless for me to do it.

2-2 seems to deal with Quna, Aki and the newly introduced character in the dragon shrine.

Perhaps I'm missing a bunch of story because of only doing the "true" path from episode 6 onwards

gigawuts
Aug 30, 2013, 07:53 AM
theo going crazy is your generic anime trope of the peaceful guy losing the one thing keeping him semi-normal and then going off his rocker and suddenly being some unstoppable juggernaut, which is done to fucking death and I'm really disappointed they're going that route

risa has potential with that idea though, they should be corrupting her instead

Mysterious-G
Aug 30, 2013, 04:50 PM
I am thinking the new route for chapter 8 might have a lot of background information regarding the Darkers. Quite a bit of speech there, between two of the big players no less. Aw yiss, forgot I can't read this stuff. Anyone has a clue what's being said there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWKiZJYla_E

AgemFrostMage
Aug 30, 2013, 05:37 PM
I am thinking the new route for chapter 8 might have a lot of background information regarding the Darkers. Quite a bit of speech there, between two of the big players no less. Aw yiss, forgot I can't read this stuff. Anyone has a clue what's being said there?

PSO2 ?????1 ?8? ??????? A STEP TOWARD THE FUTURE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWKiZJYla_E)

Cute characters, but you need some stamina III on your units!

bardiche
Aug 31, 2013, 12:05 AM

PSO2 ?????1 ?8? ??????? A STEP TOWARD THE FUTURE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWKiZJYla_E)

I haven't done any of the episode 2 stuff yet, so I might be missing some things that leads to this.. but it this sounds pretty interesting so I tried taking the time to sort of write out what's going on. I'm hardly any kind of a real translator though, so keep that in mind as you read this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Shao kid seems to have sent you back to the past when DF Elder was unsealed and you meet up with the Sara and Maria of that time period who have been semi-informed already.

Skip forward a little and Maria starts asking you and Sara for the details of what they're really here to do. Sara says all Shao ordered her to do was to come here and wait for reinforcements. She confirms with you that we're probably here on same boat, that Shao just told you to come here and do 'something'. Maria then comments that aren't they a little too late to do that 'something' ?
She sensed that Dark Falz' seal has likely been broken. Sara then says that the seal has to be undone or Luther won't show up, it's something that needs to happen. Sara then gets into arguments with Shao(who she seems to be able to contact, but we can only hear Sara talking when she does that) about how he should be telling them these things earlier. I'm guess the stuff she said about the seal was actually her repeating what Shao said right at the moment.

Maria then asks your opinion, if we're not here to stop Dark Falz from reviving, then what is the objective ?
>> Destroy Dark Falz
>> Arks Rescue <----

Skip forward, and we get to Zeno in bad shape and DF Elder. As usual, Elder's all 'fight and entertain me !' though he also adds that it's what his body is saying. Zeno tells Elder that he's overestimating him. Elder questions why he split off from Kasura to be bait alone when if they're together they might have a chance at a counterattack. [Kanji too blurred to look up in Zeno's response].
Maria interrupts Elder's attack and Zeno wonders if he's dreaming with you suddenly showing up with Maria's group. Sara says she wishes it's a dream, because Dark Falz [Eldar] is right there in front of them. Maria confirms that it's the Dark Falz that they brought down 40 years ago.

Maria gives Elder a greeting and he recognizes her. They exchange some words about the last battle. Maria cuts that topic short by saying she's not here to talk about the old times. She tells Elder that she knows he isn't back to perfect condition yet either because of the body he's inhibiting or the seal. If she takes the chance now, everything can be settled just fine. Maria wants to take him down right now, doing over the thing Arma, Kasura, Legias and herself weren't able to do 40 years ago. So that the wreck known as 'The Three Heroes' and the fabrication known as 'The Six Pillars' won't be needed any more. If she can do that, things will tip over to a slightly better direction. Zeno wants in the fight but gets told off for being one of the wounded, and if you and Sara are being overwhelmed she doesn't need you. Sara says she can do it and.. cut to battle.

Elder gets beat down and starts raving about how he's losing power and questioning why it's happening. He looks at you and comes to the conclusion that it's your doing, causing him to decay and start vanishing. He starts cursing about how his body, his power and everything is lacking and then starts looking around as if they're out there somewhere. He comes to the conclusion that it(his true, giant body?) is in that tree/pillar thing.

Maria tells him he has no time to be looking around since she's taking him on right now and summons a weapon from the sky called Yama's Axe, Labyrs/Labyris. She attacks and Elder struggles to push back. Maria taunts him saying that back then he could easily cut through this much gravitational power. Persona interrupts, and Maria asks whether he's one of Dark Falz too, but there's something about his photon. Elder escapes to the tree/pillar thing, everyone retreats and.. cut scene.

You all escape safely. We find out that the Labryis is an origin/genesis weapon ? ..and looks like it's no good anymore as Maria laments that she'll have no choice but to lower her head to Jig for about 10 years(probably in apology).
Zeno's apologizing for having rescue him after all that. Maria remarks that it's a miracle he even survived a battle with Elder, the kid really has the devil's luck(but can he survive Dudu?). Zeno brings up that it was because Kasura was with him at the beginning and Maria seems to have an idea that Luther might have [more fuzzy kanji]. She then thinks this might be a chance instead. Zeno should have been dead in the 'other side', a lot of unforeseen things could crop up from this and perhaps that might have been the objective.

Zeno's glad that since you're here, it means Echo and Melfonseana got away safely. He laments on his lack of strength. Elder wasn't in perfect condition and was hardly going all out, at this rate he can't protect anyone. Maria tells him if he's gonna keep going as some loose indulging hunter he's never going to make it.. but she likes his dumb, straightforward spirit so she offers to train him. As a favor. Maria tells Sara to ask Shao for approval on the matter and she answers that he intended it to be that way in the first place. Sara goes into banter again with Shao again.

Zeno thanks you and leaves you with one request; to keep a secret from Echo that he's fine. He thinks that'd be a good medicine for her. He says he'll properly come back after he sorts things out, until then he's leaving Echo to you. You say that Echo's been going fine and Zeno comments that you say that like you've already seen it happen(Zeno still has no idea of the time shenanigans at this point it seems).

He says he won't forget that he owes you one and he'll surely pay you back, until then, take care of yourself and work hard.

*Yama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama_%28Buddhism_and_Chinese_mythology%29)
**It could just be 'Town Axe' instead, but that's hardly intimidating for the great grandma of all Partizans.
***It's implied that Zeno and Maria are closely-acquainted from how they address each other.