PDA

View Full Version : why face looks weird....?

pkemr4
Aug 30, 2013, 10:47 AM
why in the character salon my character faces look really good and nice but outside of the salon there face's just look werid....? is it because i play on lowest settings or something?

ChaosAngel92
Aug 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
why in the character salon my character faces look really good and nice but outside of the salon there face's just look werid....? is it because i play on lowest settings or something?

I play on the highest settings and I also have this "issue".
Even the color of the eyes looks bright on the Salon but once outside looks pretty dark.

I believe it is because of the different lighting there is on the game.
Clad 6, errr I mean the ship were Arkz live has a dark ambience.
Pale chicks look white skinned (as in totally white) when they are on the lobby, but once on the beach they have a more skin color.

gigawuts
Aug 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
The salon is unfortunately notorious for having lighting found virtually nowhere else in the entire game. The angle of lighting, the color, the intensity, etc. will make your character look different from lighting found everywhere else.

pkemr4
Aug 30, 2013, 10:52 AM
also my character looks more detailed in salon compared to outside of it...

ChaosAngel92
Aug 30, 2013, 10:57 AM
also my character looks more detailed in salon compared to outside of it...

It is also because of gigawutts said.
Go to the beach, type something with the face cut in and you will see it kinda looks for what you had on the salon.

If you are playing with a female character, make up should help for make your expression more defined on the lobby, making it resemble to what you had on the salon.
Just please, don't use anything else than natural make up, the other two looks like if a makeup grenade exploded on your face.

That's right people, PSO2 is now a MMO Fashion Designer RPG

Nikoshae
Aug 30, 2013, 10:57 AM
I've noticed this so very much, but have accepted it. Aside from that you have close-ups in the salon that you really don't get elsewhere without a lot of finagling. So you wind up looking different. You aren't different, though; it's just the perspective the areas give you.

If I'm not mistaken cut-ins show you with the same lighting as in the salon, but I ... just don't know lol

ChaosAngel92
Aug 30, 2013, 11:00 AM
Also, if you are starting a new character, it is good advice that you design your face shape and body shape according to what you actually see on the lobby rather than what you see on the salon.

It also works the other way around to be honest.
You can design something horrible on the Salon, but come out as the next top model.

NoiseHERO
Aug 30, 2013, 11:12 AM
>character creator lighting "Perfect!"

>ingame "When did my characters start to look like a dried out fish with alien eyes."

>1000 AC later "Perfect!"

ChaosAngel92
Aug 30, 2013, 11:16 AM

Money can't buy organic beauty.

Kamekur
Aug 30, 2013, 11:19 AM
The only character I got right their skin tone first try was my second one. Seriously, salon's lightning is so misleading.

NoiseHERO
Aug 30, 2013, 11:24 AM
Money can't buy organic beauty.

yes it can :0

unless you're Lil Kim.

TaigaUC
Aug 30, 2013, 12:47 PM
It's kinda like that in reality, people only look good from certain angles and with certain lighting.
That's one of the reason why stylistic is better.

Also, regarding detail, much of modern gaming visual detail relies heavily on lighting.
Normal maps define fine detail depending on light source. When there is no light, the model will just look plain and low poly.

Kamekur
Aug 30, 2013, 12:52 PM
It's kinda like that in reality, people only look good from certain angles and with certain lighting.
That's one of the reason why stylistic is better.

Also, regarding detail, much of modern gaming visual detail relies heavily on lighting.
Normal maps define fine detail depending on light source. When there is no light, the model will just look plain and low poly.

In my honest opinion, it's kinda stupid that the salon has a different lightning from almost all the areas, since you can't tell how your character will really look like.

It's like if it were designed to make us mess up our character to buy aesthetic passes...wait. Why doesn't this surprise me.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 30, 2013, 12:57 PM
my face is fabulously yandere

Korazenn
Aug 30, 2013, 01:02 PM
It is also because of gigawutts said.
Go to the beach, type something with the face cut in and you will see it kinda looks for what you had on the salon.

Definitely. My character, Alis Landale (pictured below) seems to have black eyes in the lobby and most areas of the game. However, her eyes are actually green. This can only be seen in certain parts as you mentioned where the lighting is very intense.

For instance, the Coast and My Room (now that it has the Amduscia Floating Continent scenery theme) are great places for seeing your character for how they are 'really' supposed to look. It sucks when what appears as a perfectly modern representation of Alis in the character salon looks like she is STARING INTO YOUR SOUL with dark, blank eyes in cut-ins while in the lobby. It's funny, though, nonetheless. XD

If you are playing with a female character, make up should help for make your expression more defined on the lobby, making it resemble to what you had on the salon.

Just please, don't use anything else than natural make up, the other two looks like if a makeup grenade exploded on your face.

This!

I've noticed that too. My character and others as well that use the natural makeup (though she still loses the salon-like quality in visual cut-ins for lobbies), still have their looks more defined than those that don't. This is also similar for cut-scenes vs. cut-ins. I don't see as dramatic a loss in fidelity while in-game, though, so I just think it's the cut-ins that are the problem.

It just sucks that her eye color doesn't come out very well in cut-ins, though I never really paid attention to her eyes on Coast, so if I play that level again today (hopefully in a [Beach Wars!] EQ), then I'll snap a quick screenshot of her visual cut-in at the brightest point of the day on that level and share it on this thread~

Nikoshae
Aug 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
>character creator lighting "Perfect!"

>ingame "When did my characters start to look like a dried out fish with alien eyes."

This *sigh* lol

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
I prefer no make up

But if you do make up, make sure they don't like...clash.

TaigaUC
Aug 30, 2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I agree that it's stupid and misleading. Some games have multiple lighting options during character creation and they still don't always come out right in-game.

Skye-Fox713
Aug 30, 2013, 02:54 PM
Its the Lighting diffrence between the salon's "perfect Lighting" showing the actual colors and the in game lighting not being the same.

Zenobia
Aug 30, 2013, 03:16 PM
LOL!?

You don't even need make up in this game at all.

Both Yuri and Yari came out perfect and look perfect in and out of salon regardless of lighting.

Aussei
Aug 30, 2013, 05:34 PM
You can't expect to be good with the game's sliders right off the bat too. First time I played I was clumsy with sliders and had no idea what I was doing. Same when I played a game called Aion which has some good customization as well. Once you get used to it though, you can make some pretty sexy characters.

Aeris
Aug 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
Only makeup i use is what came on the FOnewearl model on my newman and human, might change it on human though i don't use any on my dewman and cast but yeah that lightning really messed up my cast until i had to use a makeover ticket on her to change mostly everything lol.

IzzyData
Aug 30, 2013, 08:03 PM
Zooming in seems to change facial rendering as well. It gets less detailed as you zoom out and makes it look a little weird.

Excelstra
Aug 31, 2013, 02:54 PM
This is sadly an issue PSO 2 is not alone with, but it seems worse here at times. Luckily I didn't manage to mess up a character completely, so that saved me the need to spend AC or recreate. ;-)

They probably should have done what FFXIV-ARR did, allow different areas with day/night switch and indoor to preview your character. That was something that I really appreciated, even though the overall character customization was slightly weaker than PSO 2. The cleaner and higher quality graphics made up for that though. :smile: