PDA

View Full Version : Is there any point on trying different classes now? (Casual players)

ChaosAngel92
Aug 30, 2013, 12:50 PM
Well, we are now lacking of photon blast, that for casual players like me was the whole point of choosing beetwen different classes.
Say, if you don't care about stats at all, other than trying clothes/parts for different genders, and fulfilling your Phantasy Star fan fiction, what is the point of trying different classes?

Hell, the game could replace 4 classes with 2, namely Duman and CAST.

(Am an idiot, I meant races)

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 30, 2013, 12:51 PM
The point is to try different weapons

That's about it

I guess

gigawuts
Aug 30, 2013, 12:52 PM
Erm do you mean races? Then no, not really.

Cyron Tanryoku
Aug 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
I only read the title

Kamekur
Aug 30, 2013, 12:55 PM
There's not really a point in having multiple characters of different races if you want to try out different classes. The only reason would be to min-max stats in certain classes (like force and newearl).

You could just play with a duman/female duman and do fine (the 2nd character of my signature, which is my current main, is a female duman, btw)

They both have best S-ATK(male's is better)/best R-ATK(female's is better), and miss 26 T-ATK against newearl.

Xaelouse
Aug 30, 2013, 12:56 PM
the point is to switch to whatever class gets buffed recently, like a complete tool

Nikoshae
Aug 30, 2013, 01:05 PM
Different classes and weapons have different styles, and that's what makes it fun. Even a subclass to a main class can make the playstyle a little different, such as the difference between subbing Ranger and Hunter for Gunner.

I find myself playing much more tactically using Bullet Bows than I did when playing with Twin Machineguns, for example.

Emp
Aug 30, 2013, 01:10 PM
Who cares about stat differences between races. Just because a race has higher atk in a certain stat, doesnt make you better than anyone else. I picked newman cause I've always loved the race but I capped other classes after Fo and Te because I like those weapon types.

Picking a race because it has a higher stat is just outright stupid.

Nikoshae
Aug 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
lol OP, I realized only now that I actually missed the part at the end where you corrected yourself regarding 'classes' being 'races.' You didn't edit the post itself, so I got confused.

I have a tiny regret for not choosing 'Human' instead of 'Newman' for Nikoshae, mainly because I play him as a neko and wish to hide ears ... Human ears are easier to hide than Newman ears (though I recently learned how!). But in the long run I like it, and if I do wind up going Force I have a little bit of extra T-attack. Does it matter so much in the long run? Not really. Do I seriously regret it? Not really, because I had my heart set on Newman from the start ... until I really learned about the cat ears lol

Z-0
Aug 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
It's not really stupid though. I want to play Force on my cast but I'm not going to do that since it's pretty bad and has to sacrifice some SP into T-Atk if you want some weapons, which means loss of damage elsewhere on the tree. I personally made a newman because I like higher stats.

Personally I like to play my melee classes on casts and dewmans, because well, it has a higher attack stat. I can equip stuff earlier which makes levelling more comfortable, and I never have to worry about not being able to equip something (well, it doesn't really matter on any race at the moment but whooo knows).

Also this thread is about race, not class.

Korazenn
Aug 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
Well, I'm probably weird with how I plan out my characters, but I tend to run with a theme.

For instance, since my main character is based off of Alis from the first Phantasy Star game, she is naturally a Human HU/FO. It wouldn't make sense to make her any other class because Alis from Phantasy Star could only use Hunter-based weaponry and cast basic attack and support techniques (she had generally rounded-out skills).

However, my new character I just created is based off of a different template as I wanted him to resemble more of a focus on all degrees combat (close/mid/long-range), hence the name Vector, and he is going to be a Deuman Male BR/RA/HU/FI as a result as it makes the most sense stat-wise.

I think playing as different races is purely a personal thing. You either love it or you hate it.

For me, I absolutely love it. It gives me more options to choose from and avenues to take with future characters. I would personally get bored if I decided to 'only' have characters from one race, in all honesty. It was the same way for me with Phantasy Star Online.

Walkure
Aug 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind that if you level up separate characters with separate focuses, you're going to have to feed those mags separately on their own game time. I.E. Serially feeding mags vs. feeding them all at once. For a non-pure mag, that's fine, but for pure mags you're talking 600hrs+ to raise them to cap.

So you're ending up putting in like 1200 hours to optimize your attack stats by a paltry 1-2% or so in the best case scenarios.

I was considering making a male dewman when they came out and running through everything again, but then I realized I wouldn't be playing for the hundred thousand or so hours it'd take to pay itself off, so I didn't really care that much.

Aussei
Aug 30, 2013, 05:38 PM
Uhhh..... I play casually with 4 characters. I like to try different things out mix and match different classes for fun. Everyone has their own definition of fun.

When I sit down to play PSO2, "Hmmm what character do I feel like workin' on today??" Simple process. Some people just don't like it like that. With PSO from the beginning I had like 10 characters at one point. LOL. I just like being creative.

strikerhunter
Aug 30, 2013, 06:18 PM
If every race gets a special race related skill that is balanced among all 4 (like in PSportable 2/2i) then it be worth rerolling a new race/character.

Otherwise, it ain't much other than to do 2x the VH TACOs or that you are (like me) only want 1 character to have that 1 specific class combo.