PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 JP: Hard Drive Wiping Compensation

strikerhunter
Sep 5, 2013, 08:32 AM
On September 4th, 2013, a PSO2 update was released to the public which had the unfortunate side effect of deleting files from the victim’s hard drive. The development team promptly responded to the problem and can confirm as of yesterday, the PSO2 updater is working correctly and is no longer erroneously deleting files outside of PSO2.
Sega is deeply sorry for the trouble this has caused and after continued discussion have decided to give players the following response:
Sega would like to distribute either a voucher worth 5000 Yen, or in-game currency of 10,000 AC as compensation for those affected by this issue.
Furthermore, they would also like to get in contact with the affected players individually.
Players who encountered the bug will have the opportunity to fill out a form that will be released in a few days. The staff will also announce some form of compensation for all PSO2 players which will be posted at the official site sometime in the future.

Anyone think that is a worthy compensation this time around?

Zenobia
Sep 5, 2013, 08:38 AM
No, since US players probably can't get it.

^This.

gigawuts
Sep 5, 2013, 08:40 AM
"Oh we broke your computer? Here, have 50 dollars. Or maybe 100 monopoly dollars. We're not sure yet."

Shinamori
Sep 5, 2013, 08:41 AM
I bet everyone else is getting tri-boosts. That's it. Like 1.

Lostbob117
Sep 5, 2013, 08:51 AM
To the people who it affected? How would they tell who it affected?

EDIT: Oh get in contact with them.

Railkune
Sep 5, 2013, 08:56 AM

While I don't think they'd stoop that low, it wouldn't surprise me.

Shinamori
Sep 5, 2013, 09:03 AM
You know they will.

Cypher_9
Sep 5, 2013, 09:09 AM
"Oh we broke your computer? Here, have 50 dollars. Or maybe 100 monopoly dollars. We're not sure yet."

^This, the best comments I have ever seen starting this day - probably we get another Tri-Boost week with no rares in the process ._.

aka... aka aka aka

o0Kais0o
Sep 5, 2013, 09:12 AM
After this particular clusterfuck, I'm not sure if there is any decent form of compensation. And yes, I sincerely doubt anyone from outside of japan will see it anyways. So, we'd best just enjoy our grinders lol.

Alenoir
Sep 5, 2013, 09:14 AM
How many people from outside Japan was actually affected by this though? I only remember one person here that vocally expressed about his computer problem after the update, but who else?

jooozek
Sep 5, 2013, 09:17 AM
knowing people someone will try to fraudulently solicit the compensation

TaigaUC
Sep 5, 2013, 09:35 AM
That $50 real money or $100 AC is like trying to say "keep playing or you get less compensation".

I'm wondering where the compensation is for the massive extension of maintenance.
Seeing as how most humans have one-track minds, they probably forgot about it in the midst of this clusterfuck.

Also, I'm rather disgusted that it took SEGA such a long time to make an official announcement.
In the case of hard disk wiping, it is paramount to immediately notify all affected parties because every passing moment potentially reduces chance of recovery.
They took, what, 12 hours to put up a notice? At least 8 hours after people realized what was happening.
I always keep people informed immediately if such a situation arises. If I can do it, a bigass company swimming in cash can.

This.

Zyrusticae
Sep 5, 2013, 09:43 AM
Meh. I'm just glad I wasn't among the ones affected by this issue.

But for the record, it's not that hard to reinstall Windows, so it's not like they have to recompense people for their entire PCs.

I always keep people informed immediately if such a situation arises. If I can do it, a bigass company swimming in cash can.
Actually, the bigger the company, the harder it is to get anything done, since you have to go down the chain of command to do so. The people in the top positions are frequently the ones most out of touch with the common consumer base, hence why they rely so much on marketers, PR workers, etc., etc.

Husq
Sep 5, 2013, 09:45 AM
How many people from outside Japan was actually affected by this though? I only remember one person here that vocally expressed about his computer problem after the update, but who else?

Here, but i manage to recover all of the data, fix some minor things and delete some old games i don't play anyways. So not a big issue for me and i reckon for most people on this board manage to do the same.
But it would have helped if they said "check your systems", when they pulled/stopped distributing the patch from the server.

martinmeegan
Sep 5, 2013, 09:57 AM
No, since US players probably can't get it.

Well, we're not supposed to be playing it anyway so, you know. (by "we" I mean anyone outside of Japan, I'm not from the States)

As far as compensation for the extension of maintenance is concerned I don't see why they should give anything other than to those who are Premium. If you're playing for free expect a service that reflects that.

jooozek
Sep 5, 2013, 10:17 AM
the fact that they put something akin to a filesystem russian roulette in the patcher is already massive grounds for heavy compensation for all players, like seriously
i don't recall ever giving consent for SEGA to randomly have files deleted on their whim so already the possibility itself with the realisation in some cases is grounds for all but praise

Crysteon
Sep 5, 2013, 10:21 AM

That's like giving people with several accounts the door to El Dorado to abuse of such compensation.

Giving away 10k AC would be a massive mistake, since RMTers who might be still around can abuse of it in a really gross way by buying a 30 days of prem and spending the rest on scratch.

Considering you can try to fraudently claim that you got screwed by the update, that's a really easy way to cause some economic wreckage.

CloudChaser
Sep 5, 2013, 10:25 AM
Would you like to allow the following Corporations to make changes to this computer?

Sega Corporation
File Origin: Hard drive

Yea we pretty much can't do shit about that.

Yden
Sep 5, 2013, 10:26 AM

I was affected but the game was installed on a external drive so my main drive wasn't affected. I lost screenshots and recorded video footage as well as really old work documents on stuff I don't work on anymore (everything there was pretty much backed up online anyways). I may have lost some games that I don't play anymore but yea it was mainly annoying at best for me.

Aine
Sep 5, 2013, 10:28 AM
You can bet the forms will require you to submit detailed information and SEGA will be scrutinizing them carefully to avoid fraud. All the more reason why foreign players are unlikely to be able to get anything out of this.

Crysteon
Sep 5, 2013, 10:38 AM
If that were the case, it's not like it's really hard to falsify software scan logs...nor hard to write an essay of how victimized you feel about such mistake from a corporation and start throwing shenanigans all over the place of how affected you were.

GALEFORCE
Sep 5, 2013, 10:39 AM
I was affected but the game was installed on a external drive so my main drive wasn't affected. I lost screenshots and recorded video footage as well as really old work documents on stuff I don't work on anymore (everything there was pretty much backed up online anyways). I may have lost some games that I don't play anymore but yea it was mainly annoying at best for me.

Same here. I'm really glad I didn't have this installed on my main drive.

As for compensation, you'd think there'd be a way for them to tell who updated during the affected time period at least. My Japanese is limited, but if it means getting some form of compensation out of this as opposed to none, I'm probably gonna give it a shot.

martinmeegan
Sep 5, 2013, 10:49 AM
Perhaps they're just relying on peoples good nature to be honest and maybe the Japanese culture is just a more honest one than the west? I seriously have no idea but if this happened where I live there would be fraudulent claims left, right and centre.

Alenoir
Sep 5, 2013, 10:57 AM
Perhaps they're just relying on peoples good nature to be honest and maybe the Japanese culture is just a more honest one than the west? I seriously have no idea but if this happened where I live there would be fraudulent claims left, right and centre.

I doubt it. They probably have an IP log of the people connected to their patch server at the time and can do some matching up and whatnot.

Shadowth117
Sep 5, 2013, 10:59 AM

People are people regardless of where you are, cultural divide or not. I'm sorry, but I don't see people ignoring an oppurtunity for a lot of free currency, especially when there's no reasonable way to prove something happened to you to begin with. That's a LOT of trust being put on someone to make a morally good decision when the morally wrong decision nets you far more in the end with no foreseeable negative repercussions.

edit:

I doubt it. They probably have an IP log of the people connected to their patch server at the time and can do some matching up and whatnot.

Yeah, they can tell who connected. What happened on their computer on the other hand, would be hard to tell without illegal things being looked at on our computers.

TaigaUC
Sep 5, 2013, 11:15 AM
Meh. I'm just glad I wasn't among the ones affected by this issue.

But for the record, it's not that hard to reinstall Windows, so it's not like they have to recompense people for their entire PCs.

Actually, the bigger the company, the harder it is to get anything done, since you have to go down the chain of command to do so. The people in the top positions are frequently the ones most out of touch with the common consumer base, hence why they rely so much on marketers, PR workers, etc., etc.

Yeah. It just seems so stupid though, that they have to go through a chain to post a warning on a website. Bureaucracy sucks.
"Hey, boss... people are complaining our game is destroying everyone's PCs."
"It's probably just a joke. There's no way that could happen."
"Should we consider issuing a warning?"
"Nah. Get that guy in the back room who is always sleeping to check it out within 24 hours."

8 hours later...

"Why didn't you issue a warning sooner?!"
"You said not to."
"Well, do it now."
"We need to wait for the website guys to get back from dinner."
"How long is that going to take?"
"A couple of hours."

Yeah, I can imagine that happening.

And reinstalling Windows doesn't account for whatever data PSO2 may have deleted.
It didn't only delete Final Fantasy 14 and such, some people lost actual personal data. That kind of stuff is priceless.

I think Japanese being closer knit does mean they expect more people to be somewhat honest, but there's kind of a line like Zyrusticae said where people will do whatever for personal profit.
People who don't care, won't care full stop. They might also hesitate out of fear because it's easier for them to get screwed if they're busted.
I mean, they don't have to go through interpol for example.

Natsu Nem
Sep 5, 2013, 11:58 AM
Jokes on them! My hard drive was already broken during this so take that SEGA!

the_happypanda
Sep 5, 2013, 12:21 PM

I lost about 50+ gigabytes of data nothing important so I didn't really care. What I lost is probably a little amount compared to other people.

Neith
Sep 5, 2013, 12:28 PM
Jokes on them! My hard drive was already broken during this so take that SEGA!

Likewise :lol: Mine started dying the week before...

To anyone complaining that US players probably can't access the compensation: Technically you shouldn't even be logging onto PSO2 anyway as you're violating Terms of Service. Not that the ToS has stopped us logging on, but because of that I doubt any western players affected have a leg to stand on.

To be perfectly honest though, 10,000 AC or 5000 yen is pathetic. I like how if you choose AC you get twice as much; anything to keep the playerbase quiet I guess.

pkemr4
Sep 5, 2013, 12:31 PM
apparently norton stopped my pso2 from trying to delete stuff from norton itself lmao

Keyblade59
Sep 5, 2013, 12:36 PM
apparently norton stopped my pso2 from trying to delete stuff from norton itself lmao

PSO2: attacks your immune system like AIDS

Korazenn
Sep 5, 2013, 12:50 PM
Well, we're not supposed to be playing it anyway so, you know. (by "we" I mean anyone outside of Japan, I'm not from the States)

As far as compensation for the extension of maintenance is concerned I don't see why they should give anything other than to those who are Premium. If you're playing for free expect a service that reflects that.

You just contradicted yourself.

It doesn't matter where you live and/or play the game if you are also Premium and paying to keep the game's servers running just as much as the next guy who may just so happen to live in Japan. While SEGA is not entitled to compensate us, we are also 'paying THEM' and 'supporting THEM' with THEIR game just like everyone else is who plays the game from Japan.

Therefore, we should still receive some sort of compensation for all of this if we do not live in Japan and are Premium as we are the ones keeping their servers running in the first place, and SEGA knows fully well that we are very much there and very well active.

Also, please explain to me the logic that goes into your thinking because I don't think ANYONE in their right mindset would say what you just did about 'expecting a service to reflect the cost'. You mean to tell me that when an online game such as Phantasy Star Online 2 has an update pushed from SEGA's end that corrupts/deletes files from your hard drive that we shouldn't expect some form of compensation for all of that? Bullshit.

Yamishi
Sep 5, 2013, 01:55 PM
I had some files deleted. Nothing of importance, but still... that's sketchy as all Hell.

Depending on how the application for compensation works, I'll definitely be applying, despite my very lackluster Japanese skills. ^^;

If they decline my request based on my bakagaijin status, then oh well. But if I get 10,000AC, awesome!

IzzyData
Sep 5, 2013, 02:01 PM
Their patcher was already incredibly stupid to begin with considering it overwrites entire chunks of the game just to add small parts to it. I haven't patched recently so I doubt anything happened to my HD. It just seems weird they have such a backward development team.

Shinamori
Sep 5, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'd personally like like a special week of Wind and Rain EQ.

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 5, 2013, 02:09 PM
You mean a 5 weeks of exp boosted super falz

Walkure
Sep 5, 2013, 02:21 PM
And by that, you mean two months of "Where's the Chocolate?!", right?

martinmeegan
Sep 5, 2013, 02:24 PM
You just contradicted yourself.

Ummmmm, I didn't contradict myself.

We're not supposed to be playing it therefore we shouldn't be entitled to anything. I choose to ignore a certain part of the terms and conditions therefore I am violating those terms and consequently I am not entitled to anything. If Sega want to compensate all that have been affected by this, i.e those that have suffered from deleted data including those who aren't supposed to be playing the game in the first place, then that's fantastic but they don't legally have to as anyone outside of Japan is playing the game illegally anyway.

Also I'd suggest you re-read what i said regarding compensation. I was quite clearly talking about compensation for the extension to maintenance and nothing else. In this circumstance why should someone who doesn't pay for a service get the same level of support as someone who does pay for it?

Of course, this point doesn't apply to anyone who lives outside of Japan as they aren't entitled to anything due to them violating the T&C's of the game. My opinion may seem harsh but welcome to the real world of big bad grown ups.

I take the view that we're fortunate to be playing the game at all so we certainly shouldn't whine about getting compensation when the maintenance is extended by a few hours. Get a grip!

Also, if you're going to quote me can you at least take the time to use the actual words that I typed please?

"If you're playing for free expect a service that reflects that."

"expecting a service to reflect the cost"

Other than that :kisses:

martinmeegan
Sep 5, 2013, 02:27 PM
I had some files deleted. Nothing of importance, but still... that's sketchy as all Hell.

Depending on how the application for compensation works, I'll definitely be applying, despite my very lackluster Japanese skills. ^^;

If they decline my request based on my bakagaijin status, then oh well. But if I get 10,000AC, awesome!

Applaud that man!:beer:

Gama
Sep 5, 2013, 02:37 PM
in my case i reinstalled win 8 so i wouldnt have any proof.

is it even easy to get proof?

anyway ill bet we get triboosts.

CloudChaser
Sep 5, 2013, 02:53 PM
You mean a 5 weeks of exp boosted super falz

That would be over excessive, I doubt it would take that long for everyone to hit max lvl lol

Gama
Sep 5, 2013, 03:35 PM
either give out a free item to everyone. that would usually cost AC example a mag

or give fun tickets, either way i think everyone is probbly going to get tristuff again.

Z-0
Sep 5, 2013, 03:36 PM
It will probably be split into AC paying players and free players.

All players will probably receive boosts of some kind, with possible boost events, while AC payers will most likely receive more premium tickets.

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 5, 2013, 03:38 PM
Rappy suits for everyone

pkemr4
Sep 5, 2013, 03:38 PM
Rappy suits for everyone

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Shinamori
Sep 5, 2013, 04:18 PM
I'd sell that rappy suit in a heartbeat.

Rexob
Sep 5, 2013, 04:45 PM

If everyone gets one...who would need to buy one? lol

gigawuts
Sep 5, 2013, 04:53 PM
Anyone who wants to recolor their stuff.

Gardios
Sep 5, 2013, 04:59 PM

HERETIC

ReaperTheAbsol
Sep 5, 2013, 05:01 PM
Psycho Wand compensation ploxxx

supersonix9
Sep 5, 2013, 05:09 PM
i hope nobody expected this or more

edit after looking at thread: that's sad

the fact that they put something akin to a filesystem russian roulette in the patcher is already massive grounds for heavy compensation for all players, like seriously
i don't recall ever giving consent for SEGA to randomly have files deleted on their whim so already the possibility itself with the realisation in some cases is grounds for all but praise

yeah, sega definitely had this happen on purpose

oh wait, that sounds retarded

Shadowth117
Sep 5, 2013, 05:50 PM

It doesn't matter if they had it happen on purpose or not; they are still at fault. Companies never intend for issues with their products generally, but if they do cause problems than they're still responsible. That's why if a product screws one over and they aren't at fault for not following use protocol etc., the company is usually the one at fault and can be sued.

gigawuts
Sep 5, 2013, 05:56 PM

Actually, yes, they inadvertently DID do this on purpose.

The game client has no fucking business deleting files not under its own directory. By failing to assure that it can't do that except under very specific circumstances, this was an unavoidable eventuality.

Sp-24
Sep 5, 2013, 06:04 PM
Actually, yes, they inadvertently DID do this on purpose.

The game client has no fucking business deleting files not under its own directory. By failing to assure that it can't do that except under very specific circumstances, this was an unavoidable eventuality.
They didn't do it on purpose. There's no way - it's grounds for a massive lawsuit whatever their purpose may have been.

A much more likely case is that they did it accidentally due to sheer incompetence. Because if there's one thing Sega can do consistently and effectively it's fucking everything up.

pkemr4
Sep 5, 2013, 06:12 PM
i hope they dont compensate people with premium (like me :/) with something like a 1 day premium ticket.....

gigawuts
Sep 5, 2013, 06:13 PM
They didn't do it on purpose. There's no way - it's grounds for a massive lawsuit whatever their purpose may have been.

A much more likely case is that they did it accidentally due to sheer incompetence. Because if there's one thing Sega can do consistently and effectively it's fucking everything up.

I didn't say they held a fucking meeting and went "Hey guys let's delete vital system files, sound good?" I said that by failing to disallow the possibility, yes, they are massively at fault for it. This is why they're throwing money at people. They know they're potentially in deep if enough people decide to do something about it instead of being complacent dripfeed teatsucking fanboys.

There is a reason shit like this is so rare: When a game is properly handled it's not even possible.

Z-0
Sep 5, 2013, 06:14 PM
all I know is people should stop saying "be happy with what you've got" because that is the reason why games and customer service sucks

MetalDude
Sep 5, 2013, 06:29 PM
The extended maintenances are one thing to complain about, but this is such a colossal fuck up that anything less than a proper response (something far more than just some stupid boost tickets) could cause outrage.

Boney010
Sep 5, 2013, 06:33 PM
You self entitled players make me lol. No matter how you cut it, if you ain't Japanese, you ain't get'n squat.

ChaosAngel92
Sep 5, 2013, 06:38 PM
You self entitled players make me lol. No matter how you cut it, if you ain't Japanese, you ain't get'n squat.

I also lol'd a bit, but I have a bit of pity to those who actually got affected.
I would have kicked my monitor out of the window if some important got erased due to PSO2.

However, well we are all againts the TOS.

supersonix9
Sep 5, 2013, 10:31 PM
I didn't say they held a fucking meeting and went "Hey guys let's delete vital system files, sound good?" I said that by failing to disallow the possibility, yes, they are massively at fault for it. This is why they're throwing money at people. They know they're potentially in deep if enough people decide to do something about it instead of being complacent dripfeed teatsucking fanboys.

There is a reason shit like this is so rare: When a game is properly handled it's not even possible.

I don't know the likelihood of this being the case for the system file fiasco, but it is entirely possible that even with testing, there could have been a discrepancy between what SEGA's team was able to find in terms of errors and what happened on the player's end of the game.

don't quote me on this

Totori
Sep 5, 2013, 11:57 PM

Not exactly, they haven't explained how the sheet to sign up for comprensation works. So it could just explaining yourself to SEGA, that is if you can write in Japanese.

Also something simlar like this happened with another game, but I doubt anyone ever played it. Gurren Laggan had a mining MMO but it crashed every players version of Windows indefinitely, So as comprensation they sent out some HDD's.

TaigaUC
Sep 6, 2013, 12:28 AM
Just ignore the idiots who accuse others of being self-entitled.
It's out of their desperation to achieve self-superiority because their lives are so meaningless and hopeless that they can't achieve it any other way.
It's the result of modern lifestyles and overpopulation.

They go around laughing at other people's problems because they don't have that problem themselves.
If they ever experience the same situation, they may backpedal but stilll refuse to admit they were wrong, because they don't want to feel guilty.
Self-defense mechanism.

No point wasting time on them. They're beyond delusional.

Amaranthus
Sep 6, 2013, 12:36 AM
They're trying... I think that's what matters.... x:

Zenobia
Sep 6, 2013, 12:36 AM
It's out of their desperation to achieve self-superiority because their lives are so meaningless and hopeless that they can't achieve it any other way.

They go around laughing at other people's problems because they don't have that problem themselves.
If they ever experience the same situation, they may backpedal but stilll refuse to admit they were wrong, because they don't want to feel guilty.
Self-defense mechanism.

Whoa Taiga calm down son.....

supersonix9
Sep 6, 2013, 12:39 AM

Self-defense mechanism.

nahhhh

NoiseHERO
Sep 6, 2013, 01:25 AM

Self-defense mechanism.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmn.

But seriously where are these "lol you're all greedy/self-entitled spoiled brats" people coming from?

Some people, especially now deserve more than the compensation offered, as for the one's that "don't" deserve it. What's wrong with wanting free stuff from a company that drops a cash cow machine on our favorite franchise?

You can actually think outside the box of the situation to find something cool to rant about without stepping on people you know.
I guess you'd just have to think outside of the box to know how.

#smh ranting about unclever people that rant about people that rant about actual problems.

This whole situation in a nutshell.

TaigaUC
Sep 6, 2013, 02:22 AM
Well, there was the whole foreshadowing of PSO2 deleting its own patch preload.
Someone should have noticed something was terrbly wrong at that stage.
That was way before the server went down, too.

My PS3 corrupted today thanks to a SEGA game locking up at a loading screen.
Not content with failing to wreck my PC, they went for my PS3 instead.
Not asking for sympathy. I just find it funny and ironic that it's SEGA again.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmn.

But seriously where are these "lol you're all greedy/self-entitled spoiled brats" people coming from?

Probably Sankaku, as it was reported there. Kotaku probably did too.
They probably even sourced Sankaku, as usual.
Sensationalist blog sites tend to have nasty trolls.

There's no other reason for those kinds of people to purposely come here and tell others off about problems they aren't having.
They aren't working for SEGA, so they're doing it for their own self benefit.
They might even have been wiped themselves and are upset at being unable to receive compensation, so they try to make themselves feel better by attacking other victims.

People also tend to defend issues with games they are playing, because it reflects badly upon them for also playing the game.
Kind of like how people won't admit a game sucks because they spent money on it, so they go into self-denial and attempt to portray the game in positive light so that they won't look stupid.

Lots of reasons for people to be dicks.

vanhalendlrband
Sep 6, 2013, 02:22 AM
This sounds brutal. Is this game safe to play now? Will it still delete stuff?

I was just about to get it here in a bit after I play some more of my other games, I'm glad I didn't start it awhile back.

Yutaka20
Sep 6, 2013, 02:33 AM
This sounds brutal. Is this game safe to play now? Will it still delete stuff?

I was just about to get it here in a bit after I play some more of my other games, I'm glad I didn't start it awhile back.

lol dont worry, SEGA team already solved the issue long ago.
anyway just use AIDA's tweaker to do loading and patching of the game,it's much safer and easier.

Boney010
Sep 6, 2013, 06:20 PM
Well, all I'm gonna say is, you either have to live in Japan, or go through a shit load of loops and hurdles to get recompense if you're an English player. Don't forget that they also have to call you and ask you questions. They'll most likely just simply skip over any foreign phone numbers.

Chdata
Sep 6, 2013, 07:21 PM
inb4 someone turns this into a huge English-Japanese legal issue for sega and someone gets 10,000$ out of it

TaigaUC
Sep 6, 2013, 09:32 PM
lol dont worry, SEGA team already solved the issue long ago.
anyway just use AIDA's tweaker to do loading and patching of the game,it's much safer and easier.

Now that I think about it, didn't AIDA say he was new to coding when he first made the tweaker? Puts things into perspective.

ArcaneTechs
Sep 6, 2013, 09:41 PM
inb4 someone turns this into a huge English-Japanese legal issue for sega and someone gets 10,000$ out of it

10k? first thing they would look at is the ToS, you already loss even if you had something go wrong with your HDD. Fight it all you want, you against a huge Japanese company that already said we're not suppose to be there, no way you'll win that easy

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 7, 2013, 12:33 AM
I find it quite amusing that to this date STILL so many fools feel and believe us gaijin's have a right to every little compensation SEGA is giving out.

Kril said it best. There is nothing you baka gaijins can do about this issue. Seeing as you are already breaking their rules in the first place by violating a specific part of their ToS.

A form will be released sometime soon for the JP players to fill out. The best you can do is try filling it out for yourself however, that broken JP text that you get from google translate wont get you very far...lol

Also, if i'm not mistaken, sega wants to get in touch personally with the people who suffered this problem your google translated lines will give you away with da quickness homie :O

Kion
Sep 7, 2013, 01:12 AM
Now that I think about it, didn't AIDA say he was new to coding when he first made the tweaker? Puts things into perspective.

Aida hasn't used VB.NET too much before this. But all the launcher does is check a text file on the server with the current patch files, then scans through the game folder and replaces the ones that are different from the file as needed. To do what Sega did, you'd have to go really far out of your way to fuck things up that bad.

Myriarch
Sep 7, 2013, 01:43 AM
I'm bad with technology but I was wondering if a system restore would fix some of the deleted files?

Aine
Sep 7, 2013, 02:00 AM
According to the ToS they aren't obligated to compensate Japanese players either, but I'm pretty sure if you took it to court the law would override the ToS.

Kion
Sep 7, 2013, 02:01 AM
I'm bad with technology but I was wondering if a system restore would fix some of the deleted files?

I think it's likely. When files are deleted from your system, they aren't actually "deleted". Basically the files remain there, and the windows just says, "feel free to overwrite this space". So in theory, the files should be recoverable as long as they haven't been overwritten yet. I'm not sure if that only applies to the recycle bin or what though.

Variant
Sep 7, 2013, 03:04 AM
I think it's likely. When files are deleted from your system, they aren't actually "deleted". Basically the files remain there, and the windows just says, "feel free to overwrite this space". So in theory, the files should be recoverable as long as they haven't been overwritten yet. I'm not sure if that only applies to the recycle bin or what though.

That's the gist of it. It's a beneficial system to most OS's to do it that way, as actually erasing data as opposed to calling it writeable is a lot safer (erase operations on a SSD are what causes the most damage to it, for example, so you try to avoid that as much as possible).

It also means the OS doesn't have to take the extra task of erasing it. The downside is that if you have something you absolutely can't have people tracking or recovering, then you'll have some trouble.

So as long as you haven't downloaded anything substantial, there should be programs around that'll help you recover files. Recuva is one of those. Large files might be harder, as they take up more space, and as a result, have a higher probability of being overwritten.

MegaMettaurX
Sep 7, 2013, 03:18 AM
It's a good thing I stopped playing this game.

Edit: I wouldn't have minded a free $50 bucks for replaceable data anyway though.

Husq
Sep 7, 2013, 03:18 AM
Also, if i'm not mistaken, sega wants to get in touch personally with the people who suffered this problem your google translated lines will give you away with da quickness homie :O
I'm kind of expecting that they will actually phone you up, because this isn't a minor issue, like servers being down for a long time or graphical glitch kind of thing, data has been delete on people's machine.

If anything this issue has showed us, is to back up important data regularly.

So as long as you haven't downloaded anything substantial, there should be programs around that'll help you recover files. Recuva is one of those. Large files might be harder, as they take up more space, and as a result, have a higher probability of being overwritten.

Actually it is a good idea to have programs that cache data on local storage like browsers, email clients aso, running and using space on a different partition, because you don't know what data is being constantly downloaded and that increases the chances that deleted files will be overwritten. In case of a browser, you might want to just force it using system memory only.

gigawuts
Sep 7, 2013, 07:31 AM
According to the ToS they aren't obligated to compensate Japanese players either, but I'm pretty sure if you took it to court the law would override the ToS.

Yes, when it comes to things like these the first thing the court throws out is the EULA and/or ToS.

ノワール
Sep 7, 2013, 07:53 AM
Even this ToS looks like.. we're just " OUTSIDERS "

8.本ゲームサーバーへの接続は、日本国内に存在する端末にインストールされたソフトウェアからの接続に限 るものとします。日本国外から直接接続をすること、及び日本国外から日本国内に所在する端末等を経由して接 続することを禁止します。

Translation

8. The connection to the game server, you shall be limited to connections from the software that is installed on the terminal that exists in Japan. It is prohibited to be a direct connection from outside of Japan, and that you want to connect through a terminal or the like to be located in Japan from outside Japan.

But its still worth to try thou :)

Gama
Sep 7, 2013, 08:01 AM
id rather not bring attention to my account. gl to everyone else.

ノワール
Sep 7, 2013, 08:11 AM

meh to.... i just lil bit annoyed when S*GA have problem.. then we got the effect..

then...

" Here.. $50 hope you like it.. "

or

" Here.. $100 but.. YOU MUST PLAY AGAIN ! "

sounds...

Nikoshae
Sep 7, 2013, 09:14 AM

This lol ... fortunately I didn't experience the issues others did, but I certainly do empathize.

Yamishi
Sep 7, 2013, 02:50 PM
Yes, when it comes to things like these the first thing the court throws out is the EULA and/or ToS.

Plus, the part of the ToS that we're violating isn't related to the HDD wiping.

That said, Sega's probably got a team of lawyers. I think I MIGHT be able to get one of those guys on daytime TV. I'm not sure it would be a fair fight.

Sizustar
Sep 8, 2013, 04:50 AM
meh to.... i just lil bit annoyed when S*GA have problem.. then we got the effect..

then...

" Here.. $50 hope you like it.. "

or

" Here.. $100 but.. YOU MUST PLAY AGAIN ! "

sounds...

Miss the part where you can contact them individually?
And they'll work with you to sort out the problem?
*Probabely involve sending them the HD, and they send it to a professional restoration service)
And because it's not cheap, so it's by a case by case situation.

The 5000 and 10000 yen is just for people that lost some stuff, but no need to contact Sega indidually.

Alenoir
Sep 8, 2013, 06:02 AM

If you mean the system restore feature in Windows OS, it will only restore your system files so your OS operates normally. Any non-system files deleted (like your anime/emulation/scanlation collections or something) will not be recovered. That's the backup territory and you'd need the rescue softwares or pay $1000+ USD to have the professionals recover them for you. (Yes it costs that much.)

MetalDude
Sep 8, 2013, 08:59 AM
Miss the part where you can contact them individually?
And they'll work with you to sort out the problem?
*Probabely involve sending them the HD, and they send it to a professional restoration service)
And because it's not cheap, so it's by a case by case situation.

The 5000 and 10000 yen is just for people that lost some stuff, but no need to contact Sega indidually.

The wording is weird in the OP's quote, but are you sure you don't have to contact them for the 5000yen/10000AC deal?

strikerhunter
Sep 8, 2013, 09:10 AM
The wording is weird in the OP's quote, but are you sure you don't have to contact them for the 5000yen/10000AC deal?

From bumped.

Around 20,514 people applied the update on September 4th at 11:00 ~ 14:42 JST. It’s likely you may have been hit with this bug if you updated the game around that time.
Players who encountered the bug will have the opportunity to fill out a form that will be released in a few days. The information submitted is compared with several data to confirm whether or not you qualify. They understand that their offer can never amount to the value of lost data, but do wish to express their sincere apologies by distributing some form of compensation.
They want to do everything in their power to help those affected by this issue. This may include a service call to (local) experts who specialize in hard drive restoration services. But for now, they’re only discussing the possibilities of what their course of action will be. More information about this will be posted in a follow-up report once it’s finalized.

Smithee
Sep 8, 2013, 09:53 AM
Am I the only person how got an external hard drive for 50$ and never had to worry about this?

blace
Sep 8, 2013, 11:03 AM
From my understanding it affected even the people that had the game installed on a different hard drive.

Yden
Sep 8, 2013, 11:08 AM
From my understanding it affected even the people that had the game installed on a different hard drive.

It did but because it was installed on a different hard drive, you didn't lose important system files. You still lost files nonetheless, which may or may not be important depending on what you saved on that drive.

thefatz
Sep 8, 2013, 09:44 PM
So what happen with this this? Has there been any new info on this compensation and is it only for Japan.

Shinamori
Sep 8, 2013, 09:48 PM
So far, we haven't heard anything about compensation for rest of the players.

strikerhunter
Sep 8, 2013, 09:48 PM
Likely to hear more bout it later this week.

tuxdude143
Sep 8, 2013, 09:52 PM
Thank god that I decided to install pso 2 yesterday when the patch was out instead of having it installed earlier. My hdd is full of important stuff.

Zalana
Sep 9, 2013, 06:19 AM
Ah that sucks. :-( At least they're compensating. Oh well, I guess it's a good idea that I haven't touched or updated the game since July. :D

Manta Oyamada
Sep 9, 2013, 07:10 AM
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=2173

Variant
Sep 9, 2013, 07:40 AM
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=2173

For anyone interested, the form requires:

ID, Email, Real Name, Postal Code, Address, Phone #, OS Version, Drive Name (Letter), Location Affected, Drive Format (NTFS, FAT, etc..), what type of compensation you want, any notes regarding that, and if you want to be seen by a professional to help recover your data.

TaigaUC
Sep 9, 2013, 08:12 AM
I'd like to know how they fuxed up so badly and whether anyone ended up getting the boot for it.

gigawuts
Sep 9, 2013, 08:29 AM
I genuinely would not be surprised if they find dealing with foreigners on this to be too much trouble and just IP ban the lot of us.

thefatz
Sep 9, 2013, 08:33 AM
Anyone having luck with http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=2173?

I was thinking of filling it out with the help of google translate, but I don't even know if it's worth it.

Link1275
Sep 9, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'd like to know how they fuxed up so badly and whether anyone ended up getting the boot for it.
They're giving compensation so no they didn't fire anyone. If they had fired anyone they would have apologized and said that they had fired the employee who had caused the problem to happen.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 10:26 AM
I genuinely would not be surprised if they find dealing with foreigners on this to be too much trouble and just IP ban the lot of us.

I hope that isn't the case. Fortunately enough, my game didn't screw up royally, but even if it had - I would NOT press Sega for compensation. Anyone playing outside of Japan is already breaking the TOS - I find it highly unlikely that Sega is going to be sympathetic to someone breaking their TOS.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 9, 2013, 02:28 PM
My game or hard drive didn't get affected at all...LOL

But ima try and fill out this form.

I will just use the info I have on my account since it's legit for the most part unlike everyone putting in the sega HQ address.

I have a close JP friend from JP psu who made my account so she put down her address so everything looks legit hahaha.

The only thing that worries me, is if they find out that i'm indeed a baka gaijin due to my foreign name and IP address. I would hate to get banned LOL.

Alenoir
Sep 9, 2013, 02:36 PM

If you didn't actually finished the update within the time frame they stated in the conditions, I don't suggest exposing yourself to them.

GALEFORCE
Sep 9, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'm debating whether or not to fill this out.. I have a convincing (I hope!) Japanese name and mail address, but I really hope they don't try to contact through phone.

Sp-24
Sep 9, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'm debating whether or not to fill this out.. I have a convincing (I hope!) Japanese name and mail address, but I really hope they don't try to contact through phone.
What about your address? You don't live in one of the shipping companies' apartments or in Sega's basement, do you?

Yamishi
Sep 9, 2013, 03:36 PM
I have a Tenso address, phone number, and postal code. The name that I registered for the beta with was Taro Yamada, and I did lose some data.

The question is, how closely will they scrutinize my account?

jooozek
Sep 9, 2013, 03:42 PM
i don't know about the united states nor canada but from what i gather where i live impersonating for a monetary gain is a felony
if you plan to get compensation use your real personal information

Sp-24
Sep 9, 2013, 03:57 PM
i don't know about the united states nor canada but from what i gather where i live impersonating for a monetary gain is a felony
if you plan to get compensation use your real personal information
Something makes me doubt that there is a country in the world that officially tolerates scamming. Especially international kind, because unlike regional IP bans in an MMORPG, this shit actually can lead to an international crisis.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 9, 2013, 04:08 PM
Dat free 10k AC sounds delicious though!

Eventhough my info is legit and even so I will contact my JP friend to check it for me, I still feel kinda nervous about it. Especially if they decide to call me LOL.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:12 PM
I have a Tenso address, phone number, and postal code. The name that I registered for the beta with was Taro Yamada, and I did lose some data.

The question is, how closely will they scrutinize my account?

And do you want to risk getting banned if you live outside of Japan, which I'm guessing you do...

Zenobia
Sep 9, 2013, 04:12 PM

Did you get effected though is the question?

If not leave the shit alone.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:14 PM
If you didn't actually finished the update within the time frame they stated in the conditions, I don't suggest exposing yourself to them.

Agreed...do you want to gamble getting banned for trying to deceive them? I have no love for Sega, but seems like an unnecessary risk unless you really want the AC and don't mind losing how many hours of play time you have.

Did you get effected though is the question?

If not leave the shit alone.

^ This, there's no reason to try and deceive Sega and risk your account...

GALEFORCE
Sep 9, 2013, 04:17 PM
It's murky ground no matter how you dress it. I wouldn't call it "impersonating for monetary gain" or "scamming", since technically they are compensating us for something they did. If they can indeed verify which accounts were affected (mine included), it shouldn't be an issue what my name is, pseudonym or not.

I don't think we know how much they'll look into our account info though. Filling out the form definitely feels like a risk for us foreigners. You really shouldn't unless you're sure you had data deleted.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 9, 2013, 04:18 PM
Agreed...do you want to gamble getting banned for trying to deceive them? I have no love for Sega, but seems like an unnecessary risk unless you really want the AC and don't mind losing how many hours of play time you have.

This is the reason why i'm having second thoughts. I have so many hours into the game already and i'm a serious player aswell. If I were to lose my account I would just quit lol.

But 10k AC will get me by for like the nest 2 years seeing as I just buy player shops with my AC haha.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:20 PM
It's murky ground no matter how you dress it. I wouldn't call it "impersonating for monetary gain" or "scamming", since technically they are compensating us for something they did. If they can indeed verify which accounts were affected (mine included), it shouldn't be an issue what my name is, pseudonym or not.

I don't think we know how much they'll look into our account info though. Filling out the form definitely feels like a risk for us foreigners. You really shouldn't unless you're sure you had data deleted.

If you were truly impacted - fill out the form at your own risk, but some people have mentioned filling it out with not actually having any problems. Furthermore, do players think Sega will smile kindly on someone already breaking the TOS - that does not allow players outside of Japan to play?

This is the reason why i'm having second thoughts. I have so many hours into the game already and i'm a serious player aswell. If I were to lose my account I would just quit lol.

But 10k AC will get me by for like the nest 2 years seeing as I just buy player shops with my AC haha.

I only have 200hrs, but wouldn't risk it; I'm a long time PSO fan since playing the original on the Dreamcast.

EvilMag
Sep 9, 2013, 04:23 PM
Oh for fuck fakes they won't ban you. If they did care about the address then we would have been banned a long time ago since we're using fake addresses to buy AC.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:24 PM
Oh for fuck fakes they won't ban you. If they did care about the address then we would have been banned a long time ago since we're using fake addresses to buy AC.

They're not going to scrutinize fake addresses for US to spend money, but this is for THEM to issue 5000 Yen or AC...that's a bit different, and they can easily verify and sort through IPs to tell if a player was even in the time span when the error occurred.

I wouldn't bother checking to see if someone was buying my product, but I would check if I was going to issue a decent compensation. They're not going to just fork out ~$5000 to anyone who applies...

EvilMag
Sep 9, 2013, 04:26 PM
They're not going to scrutinize fake addresses for US to spend money, but this is for THEM to issue 5000 Yen in AC...that's a bit different, and they can easily verify and sort through IPs to tell if a player was even in the time span when the error occurred.

I wouldn't bother checking to see if someone was buying my product, but I would check if I was going to issue a decent compensation.

Again, they won't ban you. Worst case they won't give you the compensation.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:28 PM
Again, they won't ban you. Worst case they won't give you the compensation.

Bigger question is do you feel like gambling your account? Do you think Sega loves its western players? You know, the version of the game they're never releasing?

Yamishi
Sep 9, 2013, 04:28 PM

This is kind of a valid point. I've been using a completely bogus address since day one, and never had an issue. Just recently, I updated my address to my Tenso shipping address.

It's not like Sega is blind -- their servers obviously show hundreds of connections coming from non-JP IP addresses, and I'm SURE that they know about Ship 2 Block 20, and they even allowed overseas credit cards to work early on.

I suspect it's more likely they'd just decline the request than outright ban us, but still... it's not a risk that I'm eager to take.

If anyone does fill it out, please keep us updated on whether or not you get banned. :)

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:29 PM
This is kind of a valid point. I've been using a completely bogus address since day one, and never had an issue. Just recently, I updated my address to my Tenso shipping address.

It's not like Sega is blind -- their servers obviously show hundreds of connections coming from non-JP IP addresses, and I'm SURE that they know about Ship 2 Block 20, and they even allowed overseas credit cards to work early on.

I suspect it's more likely they'd just decline the request than outright ban us, but still... it's not a risk that I'm eager to take.

If anyone does fill it out, please keep us updated on whether or not you get banned. :)

^ This - someone else risk your account please lol...then we can all contemplate whether or not to defraud Sega

Jay6
Sep 9, 2013, 04:30 PM
The only way that I was affected was that I got a BSOD when I was finishing patching the game. Nothing to my knowledge was deleted; my computer still runs just fine. Though, knowing that this could have possibly caused deletion of my files is pretty serious. I'm a Canadian, but hell, I need a JP Address/phone number/postal code for their form? I'm not one to make up an address just to accept some compensation. It's wrong... So, I'm pretty much SOL for getting compensation, aren't I?

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:31 PM
The only way that I was affected was that I got a BSOD when I was finishing patching the game. Nothing to my knowledge was deleted; my computer still runs just fine. Though, knowing that this could have possibly caused deletion of my files is pretty serious. I'm a Canadian, but hell, I need a JP Address/phone number/postal code for their form? I'm not one to make up an address just to accept some compensation. It's wrong... So, I'm pretty much SOL for getting compensation, aren't I?

I have a Tenso address, but the last thing I want is them calling me...lol, because that totally would NOT work well. The statement makes it sounds as though they aren't just going to hand out ~$5000 / 10k AC to anyone who applies. No one would just hand out that kind of compensation without verifying a little information first...

Yamishi
Sep 9, 2013, 04:33 PM
^ This - someone else risk your account please lol...then we can all contemplate whether or not to defraud Sega

Defrauding isn't really the same as breaking the ToS by being foreign, which is the only thing I'm guilty of. :P

Keeping in mind that Japanese people CAN live abroad and play PSO2 from wherever.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:34 PM
Defrauding isn't really the same as breaking the ToS by being foreign, which is the only thing I'm guilty of. :P

Keeping in mind that Japanese people CAN live abroad and play PSO2 from wherever.

I'm talking about anyone who wasn't impacted, but claiming they were just to receive compensation - because that is the very definition of fraud.

GALEFORCE
Sep 9, 2013, 04:35 PM
Well, I filled it out.

If I get banned, I'll have a hell of a lot of free time soon LOL. Let's see what happens.

Again, I advise you not to fill it out if you weren't affected.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:36 PM
Well, I filled it out.

If I get banned, I'll have a hell of a lot of free time soon LOL. Let's see what happens.

Again, I advise you not to fill it out if you weren't affected.

Good luck!

Yamishi
Sep 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm talking about anyone who wasn't impacted, but claiming they were just to receive compensation - because that is the very definition of fraud.

Ah, yes, but I'd imagine if someone applies, they'll compare their IP address against those 20,000 or so that were downloading the update when the bug was present.

THOSE people may (rightfully) get banned.

Rexob
Sep 9, 2013, 04:40 PM
Ah, yes, but I'd imagine if someone applies, they'll compare their IP address against those 20,000 or so that were downloading the update when the bug was present.

THOSE people may (rightfully) get banned.

I'd expect the same, and that's easy to do in excel or any database. Even Sega should be able to run that kind of comparison easily lol.

GALEFORCE
Sep 9, 2013, 05:04 PM
I don't know if this was pointed out elsewhere, but it seems like they are going to reply to those who applied by within the first 10 days of October. Other than that it's just more apologetic lines. Below is the response e-mail if anyone wants to read it.

[SPOILER-BOX]※本メールは株式会社セガ『ファンタシースターオンライン2』の
 ハードディスク内データ削除に関するご投稿を送信された方に、
 自動でお送りしております。

平素は弊社製品をご愛顧いただき、誠にありがとうございます。

また、このたびの不具合につきまして、多大なご迷惑をおかけして
おりますこと、深くお詫び申し上げます。

ハードディスク内データ削除に関する投稿を受け付けました。
いただいた投稿内容については、順次確認、対応してまいります。

※お詫びの金券5000円相当分、または10000ACに関しては、10月上旬頃より
 順次対応となる見込みです。
※データ復旧に関してのご連絡は、10月上旬の開始を予定しています。

できるだけ早い対応を目指しておりますが、確認や調査などで、
お時間をいただいてしまうことをご了承ください。
さらなる情報や続報については引き続きプレイヤーズサイトにて
ご案内いたします。

お客様にはお待たせしており申し訳ございませんが、何卒ご了承
くださいますよう、お願い申し上げます。

※本メールは自動送信になりますので、ご返信いただいても
 回答することができません。
 ご報告の後、修正や追加が発生しました場合は、大変お手数
 ですが、あらためて本フォームよりご連絡くださいますよう、
 お願い申し上げます。
[/SPOILER-BOX]

So we still don't know if they're going to try to call or mail you.. most likely call. If they are satisfied doing it through e-mail, it would be ideal for us. If not, I'll probably just drop it.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 9, 2013, 05:41 PM
Well I wasn't affected so yes I am trying to get free AC. The thing is my story can seem legit since I did infact download the update when the bug was present.

The only reason I didn't get affected is because I actually have my game installed in the correct default location.

If i'm not mistaken anyone who has their pso2 installed in the default location didn't get affected by this issue.

I think ima just go and fill it out regardless, I just hope they don't try to phone me or ban me for trying to scam them LOL.

Para
Sep 9, 2013, 05:44 PM
Let's be a little more realistic... SEGA knows that there are foreign players on their servers. Banning foreign players because they're requesting compensation is just poor PR.

Kitess
Sep 9, 2013, 06:46 PM
I applied for the compensation since my computer did get wiped though it only took my like a day to get it back working again since i back up all vital files to google drive daily the only reason im worried is because i log on from like at least 30 different ips since i travel a lot x-x. though if i get banned i can just restart since i haven't invested that much time into the game.

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 9, 2013, 08:41 PM
I just applied for the compensation, with the help of my friend. Hahaha. If I get banned oh well...It was a fun ride. LOL

But if I get dat free 10k AC all I gotta say is F*** YEAH!! =P

I'll keep you guys posted come october *cross his fingers* ^^;

Chik'Tikka
Sep 9, 2013, 10:32 PM
wow I'm glad i took a break from this game for a couple weeks+^_^+ i've been a little lax on making my backups+^_^+

ZeGoose
Sep 9, 2013, 10:37 PM
Well I wasn't affected so yes I am trying to get free AC. The thing is my story can seem legit since I did infact download the update when the bug was present.

The only reason I didn't get affected is because I actually have my game installed in the correct default location.

If i'm not mistaken anyone who has their pso2 installed in the default location didn't get affected by this issue.

I think ima just go and fill it out regardless, I just hope they don't try to phone me or ban me for trying to scam them LOL.

Nope. I installed on a different partition and I was not affected, at least from what I know.

Sayara
Sep 9, 2013, 11:27 PM
Let's be a little more realistic... SEGA knows that there are foreign players on their servers. Banning foreign players because they're requesting compensation is just poor PR.

And in the case for people trying to fraud their way through free money?
Well deserved banning,
Keep it classy :x

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 9, 2013, 11:52 PM
-Writes in Sayaras information-

-Whistles and walks away-

MissMalice
Sep 10, 2013, 03:01 AM
So. One of my teammates is under the impression that all players (every account for both PC and Vita) is automatically getting the 10k AC compensation. I've been trying to explain to them how ridiculous that sounds and how much MONEY that would just be throwing away by SEGA's behalf (not to mention just giving the RMTers a mega holiday), but he's pretty convinced that we all are getting the AC, no matter if we do the form or not.

Even if only the 20,000 reported players got all the AC, that's roughly $1,000,000 that SEGA would be giving away. So you can imagine how much money it would cost them to pay about $50-$60 for every. Single. Account.

I've read Bumped, I've read the forums, I've read the email that was sent out. Nothing I've found so far has said "We're giving out free AC or Yen to all players".

So, what's up with this? Is he right or did I miss something?

Husq
Sep 10, 2013, 03:08 AM
So. One of my teammates is under the impression that all players (every account for both PC and Vita) is automatically getting the 10k AC compensation. I've been trying to explain to them how ridiculous that sounds and how much MONEY that would just be throwing away by SEGA's behalf (not to mention just giving the RMTers a mega holiday), but he's pretty convinced that we all are getting the AC, no matter if we do the form or not.

Even if only the 20,000 reported players got all the AC, that's roughly $1,000,000 that SEGA would be giving away. So you can imagine how much money it would cost them to pay about $50-$60 for every. Single. Account.

I've read Bumped, I've read the forums, I've read the email that was sent out. Nothing I've found so far has said "We're giving out free AC or Yen to all players".

So, what's up with this? Is he right or did I miss something?

Nope you are right and he/she is wrong.
Only the IPs logged accessing to the update server when the faulty update was still on it, are technically entitled to the compensation.
PSVita only players weren't affect at all, so no compensation for them.

Rexob
Sep 10, 2013, 07:09 AM
Why did I receive this email and what exactly does it say? Google is having difficult translating it correctly.

※本メールは、『ファンタシースターオンライン2』のサービス利用登録を
されているお客様を対象としてお送りしております。

※非常に重要なお知らせのため、「メールマガジンを希望しない」設定の
お客様にもお届けしております。
----------------------------------------------------------------
2013年9月4日(水)、『PSO2』のアップデートデータ配信後、
『PSO2』関連ではないハードディスク内のデータが一部削除されるという
致命的な不具合が発生いたしました。

このたびの不具合により、ご迷惑をおかけしてしまったすべてのプレイヤーの方へ
心よりお詫び申し上げます。
症状が発生したお客様へは出来る限りの対応をさせていただきたいと考えております。

下記に、このたびの不具合の原因と対応についてご報告いたします。

================================================== ======
■対象のお客様

9月4日(水)11:00~14:42までの間に
アップデートデータのダウンロードを開始され、完了された
【20514名】の方が該当いたします。

※上記時間内にダウンロードを開始されていても、
ダウンロードを途中でキャンセルされたお客様には、問題は発生しておりません。

■不具合の発生原因

今回の不具合は、ランチャープログラムに開発中の処理プログラムが
不完全なまま混入してしまっていたことが原因となり、引き起こされたと判明いたしました。

アップデートデータをダウンロードしている際のデータは一時ファイルとして
格納されていますが、これはインストール後には不要となるため
削除するようになっています。

しかし、この不具合が混入したプログラムでは
その機能が意図しない処理を行ってしまったため、
『PSO2』がインストールされているドライブのデータの一部が
削除されてしまった可能性があります。
この削除処理がPCの環境や、OS、HDDへの記録形式によって違うため、
お客様の環境により症状が全く違うという現象になっており、
共通の対応方法をご説明することが困難です。

※お客様の環境によって『PSO2』のインストール先はHDDだけに限らず、
SSDであったりUSBメモリーやSDカードなどのHDD以外の補助記憶装置の場合がございます。

■再発防止策

アップデートが常に続けられるオンラインゲームは制作中のファイルと
更新用のファイルについて、バージョン管理を確実に行う必要があります。
開発チームでは、ゲーム内のデータについて、バージョン管理専用のソフトを導入し、
さらにミスを防ぐ専用ツールを複数制作し、運用しています。
それに加え問題が起きた個所については再発防止を行うなど、何重もの対策を行っております。

また、今回の原因であるランチャープログラムにおいてもチェックを行っておりましたが、
今回のアップデートではランチャーの処理変更はないと認識していたことと、
前回更新時のチェックにおいては問題なく動作していたこともあり、
結果的にランチャーのチェックが不十分な状態でアップデートに反映されてしまうことに
なってしまいました。そして、当初ランチャー処理変更の認識がなかったことが、
原因特定を遅らせることにもつながってしまいました。

今後の再発防止策につきましては、これまで以上にランチャープログラムのチェック
および、チェック内容の追加、チェック体制の強化を行うことで問題を防ぐことができると
考えております。

■症状が発生したお客様への対応につきまして

1.お詫び対応
不具合の症状が発生したお客様に対しましては、今回の不具合に対するお詫びとして、
5000円相当の金券の送付、もしくは10000ACをゲーム内に付与させていただきます。

2.データ復旧
データの削除などにより現在もお困りのお客様に対しましては、
個別にご連絡させていただきます。
症状によって、外部の復旧サービスに削除データの復旧が可能か調査を
依頼することを検討しております。

※お詫びの金券5000円相当分、または10000ACに関しては、
10月上旬頃より順次対応となる見込みです。
※データ復旧に関してのご連絡は、10月上旬の開始を予定しています。

上記をご確認いただき、該当するお客様は、下記ページより
専用投稿フォームにお進みいただきご投稿をお願いいたします。

▼ハードディスク内データ削除に関する専用投稿フォーム
http://pso2.jp/players/support/report/

このたびの不具合につきまして、多大なご迷惑をおかけして
おりますこと、深くお詫び申し上げます。
さらなる情報や続報については
引き続きプレイヤーズサイトにてご案内いたします。

================================================== ============

※本メールアドレスは、送信専用となっております。
本メールにご返信いただきましても回答することができません。

▼『ファンタシースターオンライン2』公式サイト
http://pso2.jp/

▼『ファンタシースターオンライン2』プレイヤーズサイト
http://pso2.jp/players/

▼『ファンタシースターオンライン2』“PS Vita”版プレイヤーズサイト
http://pso2.jp/vita/players/

発行:株式会社セガ

―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
このメールの無断転載を禁止します

Rexob
Sep 10, 2013, 07:14 AM

Banning players who are already breaking the TOS...no one is going to frown on that.

Ordy
Sep 10, 2013, 08:00 AM
I find it quite amusing that to this date STILL so many fools feel and believe us gaijin's have a right to every little compensation SEGA is giving out.

I just applied for the compensation

Time to get your shit together (;¬_¬)

Shinamori
Sep 10, 2013, 08:28 AM
I'm still waiting on what everyone else will get. I know it's just tri-boosters.

Rexob
Sep 10, 2013, 08:36 AM
I'm still waiting on what everyone else will get. I know it's just tri-boosters.

"just tri-boosters"?! I like those lol, but we'll probably get like two =P

gigawuts
Sep 10, 2013, 08:39 AM
Being that we shouldn't even get anything for the HD wipe, since it didn't happen to us, then we should get absolutely nothing.

If we're lumping in the extended downtime we shouldn't get anything more than some triboosters. Premium players should get a 1 day premium ticket too.

There should also be a letter detailing the additional steps they will take in the future to make sure this never happens again. That would be the real prize with effects lasting much longer than 30 minutes (or 24 hours).

Rexob
Sep 10, 2013, 08:41 AM
As a Premium player - I'd rather have a tri-booster or two than another day of Premium lol...1 Premium day is worth ~43.5 AC - I'd much rather have the exp & rare boost personally which are great for Falz / Big Vardha runs. Especially since you can stack a tri-booster with another boost of some kind.

gigawuts
Sep 10, 2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah, uh, you would get both. If everyone gets something, and premium players get something, the premium players always get both.

supersonix9
Sep 10, 2013, 08:49 AM
Being that we shouldn't even get anything for the HD wipe, since it didn't happen to us, then we should get absolutely nothing.

If we're lumping in the extended downtime we shouldn't get anything more than some triboosters. Premium players should get a 1 day premium ticket too.

There should also be a letter detailing the additional steps they will take in the future to make sure this never happens again. That would be the real prize with effects lasting much longer than 30 minutes (or 24 hours).

case and point

Rexob
Sep 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
Yeah, uh, you would get both. If everyone gets something, and premium players get something, the premium players always get both.

Ahhh, kk - I just started playing, thanks!

Shinamori
Sep 10, 2013, 09:00 AM

Yea, but they said said everyone else would be getting some type of compensation. Don't know about the extended down time though.

Alenoir
Sep 10, 2013, 09:59 AM
Huh...

What if I don't want the compensation but just want to report about the issue, anyone know which other form I can use?

I technically didn't get anything deleted, but it emptied out my recycle bin completely.

Zenobia
Sep 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
Huh...

What if I don't want the compensation but just want to report about the issue, anyone know which other form I can use?

I technically didn't get anything deleted, but it emptied out my recycle bin completely.

Its your RECYCLE BIN sega did you a favor homie 8D!

Alenoir
Sep 10, 2013, 10:11 AM
Its your RECYCLE BIN sega did you a favor homie 8D!

But but but my deleted memories...! ;_;

Rexob
Sep 10, 2013, 10:16 AM
But but but my deleted memories...! ;_;

You didn't want them anyways since you were going to recycle them lol

Kion
Sep 10, 2013, 10:34 AM
メールアドレス: Email Address
お名前: Full Name
郵便番号: Japanese Postal Code
ご住所: Japanese Address
電話番号 : Japanese Telephone Number
障害と思われる症状: Describe any symptoms or issues in 2000 characters or less.

Seems kind of a long shot as they have a list of id's that were updating the game at that time. Then you'd need to provide a valid japanese address and phone number, and then accurately describe, in japanese, any issue affecting your system. If anyone wants to use my address and send me tons of 5,000yen vouchers...

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 10, 2013, 10:46 AM
Seems kind of a long shot as they have a list of id's that were updating the game at that time. Then you'd need to provide a valid japanese address and phone number, and then accurately describe, in japanese, any issue affecting your system. If anyone wants to use my address and send me tons of 5,000yen vouchers...

It's not that hard when you have a JP friend who can provide you with her own info to fill in those slots.

Aside from my IP address and my katakana name everything I put down is 100% legit.

Hell even my name is my REAL name just converted into JP by my friend.

She also wrote down the discription message for me. So it's not a bootleg google translated message either. Haha.

I'll see where this goes come october!

Ima laugh if I get that 10K AC LOL

Z-0
Sep 10, 2013, 10:47 AM
What if they match up those details with your billing information (assuming you've input them before)?

UMVC3_Wolverine
Sep 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
What if they match up those details with your billing information (assuming you've input them before)?

What do you mean? Like my AC billing info?

I don't think that would be a problem because my billing info is the same info I put down over a year ago back when everyone was making up a BS address etc etc.

If they match them, they should match perfectly. Unless they get my real address from the Visa card back then when they allowed us to buy AC...lol

Obviously this isn't 100%. There are still some holes. But there's only so much I can do.

I'm taking a gamble here. Putting my account on the line. I just did the best I could to make it seem the most legit possible. Since I have someone who can provide me with real info I decided to give it a shot....

For the record, I did infact download the patch when all of the users got affected so even that should look legit. I also didn't stop the download.

If worse comes to worse I just hope they don't compensate me. I'll admit it getting banned for 10k AC would hurt since i'm a "real" player with over 4K hours non B20 lobbing either. Playing hard making top tier equips etc etc.

My main fear is that I don't get banned for being a baka gaijin xD

If I do then **** it...If I don't and end up getting free AC then i'll be straight chillin' homie :O Muahaha!

Zenobia
Sep 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
What do you mean? Like my AC billing info?

I don't think that would be a problem because my billing info is the same info I put down over a year ago back when everyone was making up a BS address etc etc.

If they match them, they should match perfectly. Unless they get my real address from the Visa card back then when they allowed us to buy AC...lol

Obviously this isn't 100%. There are still some holes. But there's only so much I can do.

I'm taking a gamble here. Putting my account on the line. I just did the best I could to make it seem the most legit possible. Since I have someone who can provide me with real info I decided to give it a shot....

For the record, I did infact download the patch when all of the users got affected so even that should look legit. I also didn't stop the download.

If worse comes to worse I just hope they don't compensate me. I'll admit it getting banned for 10k AC would hurt since i'm a "real" player with over 4K hours non B20 lobbing either. Playing hard making top tier equips etc etc.

My main fear is that I don't get banned for being a baka gaijin xD

If I do then **** it...If I don't and end up getting free AC then i'll be straight chillin' homie :O Muahaha!

Go ahead son fraud it up if you do get it hey my hat goes off to you.

But if you get slammed well...I will def lmao at you no offense.

darkwraith007
Sep 10, 2013, 08:28 PM
The Sept 4 update in Japan for PSO2 caused hard drive wipes. Gee whiz, are we still doing that? I remember when Penny Arcade did a comic (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/01/06/) about making sure not to uninstall Myth 2, otherwise it would nuke your hard drive data.

Wow, and SEGA never ceases to amaze me at their utter dumb-fucking incompetence; proving without a doubt that they don't even bother to do ANY Quality Assurance even when it comes to their own home country and their own Japanese players. Just...wow.

If I were a Japanese player, I'd take their ass to fucking court. Put their shitty little EULA to a real test. You can't possibly release something that wipes a user's hard drive (aka malware) and then claim it was 'at the user's own risk'. Bullshit. I'd love to see SEGA get their asses handed to em in Japanese (or US) courts.

GALEFORCE
Sep 10, 2013, 08:47 PM
If I were a Japanese player, I'd take their ass to fucking court. Put their shitty little EULA to a real test. You can't possibly release something that wipes a user's hard drive (aka malware) and then claim it was 'at the user's own risk'. Bullshit. I'd love to see SEGA get their asses handed to em in Japanese (or US) courts.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Shinamori
Sep 10, 2013, 09:32 PM
The Sept 4 update in Japan for PSO2 caused hard drive wipes. Gee whiz, are we still doing that? I remember when Penny Arcade did a comic (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/01/06/) about making sure not to uninstall Myth 2, otherwise it would nuke your hard drive data.

Wow, and SEGA never ceases to amaze me at their utter dumb-fucking incompetence; proving without a doubt that they don't even bother to do ANY Quality Assurance even when it comes to their own home country and their own Japanese players. Just...wow.

That's why they're paying 20k people off with 5000 Yen or 10000 AC.

strikerhunter
Sep 10, 2013, 09:43 PM

Go and try to do their work yourself and see how hard is it to do maintenance every week. Give them credit for quickly addressing the issues and notifying the players when the issues came out during maintenance time.

gigawuts
Sep 10, 2013, 09:56 PM
Go and try to do their work yourself and see how hard is it to do maintenance every week. Give them credit for quickly addressing the issues and notifying the players when the issues came out during maintenance time.

I'm just going to knock this silly defense down right now:

I don't need to be a chef to know my dinner tastes like shit.

I'm not saying it's not hard. Shit, life is hard full stop. That's no excuse.

EvilMag
Sep 10, 2013, 09:58 PM
So because of this fuck up, we have to wait for the server to come back up to download the patch from now on.

Kion
Sep 10, 2013, 10:01 PM

I'm pretty sure the reason they need to do maintenance every week is because they're using windows servers which you have to continuously update and reboot. But even so you're right, their effort is to be applauded for doing their best, even if their best sucks monkey balls.

The problem with this analogy is that if the food is bad, you generally wouldn't eat there.
It's been confirmed time and time again that Sega sucks at life, and yet we're still here.

strikerhunter
Sep 10, 2013, 10:01 PM

Okay may have been defensive there, but was refering to his last paragraph bout that entire court shits.
Edit: Ya ain't going to know that your meal tastes like shit until you see or taste it, in patch terms ya ain't going to know what may happen until you patch or wait for a address from said company.

I'm pretty sure the reason they need to do maintenance every week is because they're using windows servers which you have to continuously update and reboot. But even so you're right, their effort is to be applauded for doing their best.

I've played several MMOs and they do not do maintenance every week nor when windows is updated since they tend to do it at a random date time, not to mention that they normally don't address fixes/bugs/issues right away.

MetalDude
Sep 10, 2013, 11:22 PM
It's great that they tend to address issues pretty quickly, but it's still incredibly abysmal handling on their part for this to have even happened and they should get absolutely zero benefit of the doubt on that.

Eternal255
Oct 1, 2013, 09:23 PM
Has anyone not living in jp done this? Can we still be compensated? I havent been around since, really...

I'm not sure what to write for the symptoms part (obv in jp). Does anyone have some generic translated text or can translate for me?

Yutaka20
Oct 1, 2013, 09:32 PM
Has anyone not living in jp done this? Can we still be compensated? I havent been around since, really...

I'm not sure what to write for the symptoms part (obv in jp). Does anyone have some generic translated text or can translate for me?

lol eternal255 u can forget it.the compansation request is already over.
they are giving out the compensation after maintance to those who have reported.
and the reason why ppl out of JP (not just US)
aren't reporting is becos we aren't suppose to be in pso2 jp lol
u could have a chance of getting ban from the game.
the risk is there lol.

Eternal255
Oct 1, 2013, 09:39 PM
Considering i have a jp address an number i can use, i dont really see there being a risk. hmm bumped says they start giving em on the 9th, maybe ill just fill it out anyway and hope they give me somethin. If not, whatever. Was able to fix the problem anyway.

Yutaka20
Oct 1, 2013, 10:13 PM
lol sure do it.
anyway u gotta send them some kind of info from ur pc.
and if they do do a ip check on then good luck lol.
most who reg for a game uses a jp address lol.
it's not the address but more of the risk of ip checking where ur location u are from .
but well go for it~ it's ur account not mine >;3
and good luck!