PDA

View Full Version : Why is SEGA so terrible with game title acronyms?

AIDA
Sep 9, 2013, 11:42 AM
I mean, we had PSU - Phantasy Star Universe. But a top look at google reveals that PSU is far more known for Penn State University, Power Supply Unit, and PlayStation Universe (among other things).

Then there's PSP - Phantasy Star Portable, which is the same as the Playstation Portable (which is also, ironically, the system it came out on).

Now we have PSN - Phantasy Star NOVA, which is coming out on the PSVita and will use the, you guessed it, Playstation Network (PSN).

I mean, seriously, I get once or twice. But now I feel like they're doing it on purpose.

EDIT: See what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdauXFoF7dw

r00tabaga
Sep 9, 2013, 11:43 AM
what is said Nova......interested I am

strikerhunter
Sep 9, 2013, 11:44 AM
Phantasy Star Nova...........PSN................PlayStation Network.

Railkune
Sep 9, 2013, 11:45 AM
I'm betting they do it on purpose considering that when they do it matches up with the system it's used on. I mean, come on. What is even the point in 'Nova'? It could have been anything.

r00tabaga
Sep 9, 2013, 11:47 AM
please bring it west Sega!

ChaosAngel92
Sep 9, 2013, 11:52 AM
I thought this was planned to be that way AIDA.
If someone types PSN on google, there might be a chance that Phantasy Star Nova gets related.

Take it as a free advertising within the name.

Kondibon
Sep 9, 2013, 11:58 AM
Then there's PSP - Phantasy Star Portable, which is the same as the Playstation Portable (which is also, ironically, the system it came out on).

This is actually pretty common. Remember all those DS games that came out with subtitles that spelled DS as their acronyms? I think PSP was intentional. The others (particularly PSU) might just be coincidences. This of course is why I always spell the names out when googling stuff though.

Shinamori
Sep 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
From Angels with Burning Hearts.

Sight of night I cheer to embrace the magic
Starting an adventure for our future...

SONIC TEAM.

blace
Sep 9, 2013, 12:11 PM
Isn't this thread irrelevant to the rest of the PSO2 board?

It's not uncommon to give a game an acronym or a few letters at the end that coincides with the system it's released on.

the_happypanda
Sep 9, 2013, 12:20 PM
I live right next to Penn State University and when I told my friends I play psu they thought I meant Penn State. When I told then Phantasy star universe they laughed and said what is that. After that I gave up trying to get them to play the game.

Shadowth117
Sep 9, 2013, 12:20 PM
Its not really irrelevant since its a side game for PSO2 and, unless they just added it, there's no board for it here yet.

ShinMaruku
Sep 9, 2013, 12:28 PM
Japanese companies have bad acronyms because random English sounds cool If you think Sega is bad what you think of Bravely Default Flying Fairy?

ArataWata
Sep 9, 2013, 01:43 PM
I thought people are gonna be calling it PSNova or something.

ReaperTheAbsol
Sep 9, 2013, 01:50 PM
I thought people are gonna be calling it PSNova or something.

I started doing that, but since PSNova can be shortened to PSN the possibility of confusion and misrepresentation between products, services, groups and corporations arises. Although PSN is now SEN the acronym itself still hasn't been adapted in some, if not, most minds. I myself still call my SEN ID my PSN ID.

ShinMaruku
Sep 9, 2013, 02:19 PM
Semantics is all this is. Call it what you want. On this forum people should know what you are talking about.

yoshiblue
Sep 9, 2013, 03:28 PM
PSN? On the Vita? Hmm...

ChaosAngel92
Sep 9, 2013, 03:56 PM
From Angels with Burning Hearts.

Sight of night I cheer to embrace the magic
Starting an adventure for our future...

SONIC TEAM.

SONIC TETM