PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 launcher still deleting files, it seems

TaigaUC
Sep 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
Woke up today and my friend told me some apps and work files vanished from his PC and desktop after this update.
He is absolutely certain they were there before.
They showed up in Recuva as deleted and overwritten by the PSO launcher.

On the JP wiki, one person comments that the latest update wiped their USB drive.
Looks like nothing of mine was deleted, but I should have known better than to assume it was fixed.
PSO Tweaker all the way.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 12, 2013, 12:46 AM
Why don't you ask in the thread instead of making stupid accusations?

TaigaUC
Sep 12, 2013, 02:36 AM
Ask what in what thread? What accusations?
I'm stating factual evidence that suggests an obvious conclusion.
Why don't you learn to read before attacking people for no reason?

I posted this to let people know the launcher still isn't safe.
You're free to keep using it and risk losing your data.
Seriously, the trolls are always out in full force on these forums.
There's no point attempting to converse with people who have zero comprehension of language.

KazukiQZ
Sep 12, 2013, 04:04 AM
Wait, that problem is still there? :o

ArataWata
Sep 12, 2013, 04:20 AM
Doesn't seem like anything was deleted from my PC.

Is just certain files or just random?

TaigaUC
Sep 12, 2013, 07:53 AM
Seems random.

My friend and I updated during the supposed deletion time on September 4th, so we checked pretty thoroughly back then, and our files were intact.

However, this week, after he updated, he lost Fraps (it became a broken link on the desktop) and some texture work files.
They had been deleted and overwritten by PSO2 patch data.
He also says Windows suddenly downloaded a huge update, but that may have been unrelated.

Anyway, ignoring the weirdo above, it seems safer to rely on AIDA's Tweaker from now on.

KazukiQZ
Sep 12, 2013, 08:55 AM
^Had been doing that since before EP2 launch, and the data loss problem is successfully avoided.
From what I remember, the only time I open the original launcher was when PSO2T was unable to launch PSO2 directly (during the early days of EP2).
I also avoid downloading any precede/update using the original launcher, they tend to screw the download >.<
It's safe to say AIDA's tweaker is the new PSO2 Launcher :)

SakuRei
Sep 12, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hmm weird for me as well when I've heard about this HDD wipe using the PSO2 patcher itself, I patched using AIDA's tweaker ofcourse since I felt that the PSO2 Launcher is not yet safe... my PC is still okay but suddenly my Windows updates new files (almost 100mb above) dunno if I'm affected with the HDD wipe of some sort but my PC still works fine and runs smoothly, and most of my files are still the same amount of MB's and GB's and no changes at all. Though I'm still quite a bit worried why my Windows suddenly downloads new files just yesterday (and also now recently when I posted this)...

Edited: NVM, I checked the downloaded Windows files, it was Microsoft Office files... My bad... xD

But still I guess I need to be cautious if something bad happens...

Alenoir
Sep 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
He also says Windows suddenly downloaded a huge update, but that may have been unrelated.

Windows security update. They usually happens on the second Tuesday of the month.

Anyways, yesterday's patch should not be deleting anything. It only downloaded files, the delete command (to remove files in the _precede folder) shouldn't have been executed. That USB instance you noted on the JP wiki, someone else replied it could have been due to the USB being read/written too frequently (the guy was moving data around two PCs using that), so it could be something else all together.

Besides, the delete command should be running AFTER everything is patched and copied over, so your friend's deleted file should not be overwritten by PSO2 patch files. (Would be by something else.) If it was actually overwritten by PSO2 patch files, then it was deleted before he patch.

If your friend firmly believes in the patcher still deleting files on the 9/11 update though, do send a note to SEGA about it.

TaigaUC
Sep 12, 2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I saw the JP replies to that guy. Still, better to be cautious.

Windows security update. They usually happens on the second Tuesday of the month.

His laptop didn't get the same update, and it's also set to auto update.

Besides, the delete command should be running AFTER everything is patched and copied over, so your friend's deleted file should not be overwritten by PSO2 patch files. (Would be by something else.) If it was actually overwritten by PSO2 patch files, then it was deleted before he patch.

I see. I don't know about that then.
Well, I can't imagine what else would delete Fraps and image files on the same day as a PSO2 patch, and nothing else.
He said his anti-virus didn't update either.

I guess time will tell. Let's all just stick to the Tweaker anyway.