PDA

View Full Version : How would you compare PSO2 to other games?

Chdata
Sep 15, 2013, 09:49 PM
The first thing that comes to mind to me is Fury stance and other stuff in the Hunter tree.

Let's say, junk armor for Megaman Zero. Makes you hit the hardest but you die almost in one hit. Basically like Hunar armour in PSO2. This is what I'd expect fury stance to be like, but in reality it's otherwise not a hindrance at all.

Tanking in PSO2: It's there and you can do it, but often fairly unnecessary because PSO2 relies less on "slowly kill you over time while draining your resources and maybe a surprise KO somehow" and focuses more on "chain or one hit kill you instantly while you are otherwise full on HP and can go refill on HP items whenever you want and be revived whenever you want".

Even tanking as an ancients mage in runescape was better than that ;o

Nitro Vordex
Sep 15, 2013, 10:22 PM
I'd call it lacking. But that's how I feel about a lot of MMO's.

Lostbob117
Sep 15, 2013, 10:29 PM
It's that tanking just isn't needed in this game. Since there is dodging. iirc, WoW doesn't have dodging in it at all. Making a Tank very useful so the damage people can sit back and kill while the actual tank takes hits instead of them.

pkemr4
Sep 15, 2013, 10:30 PM
when i play pso2 it feels alot like imagine online...

NoiseHERO
Sep 15, 2013, 10:39 PM
Above Average for an MMO

Below Average for a Phantasy Star game... Or maybe it IS the average for Phantasy Star games now. <_<;;

Zorafim
Sep 15, 2013, 10:40 PM
Compare PSO2 to other games? Okay. The action is good. The RPG elements are fair. The customization is amazing. The weapon selection is grand. The visuals are fair. The content is lacking. The story telling is non-existent.

That's about everything.

Arialle
Sep 15, 2013, 10:52 PM
what the post above me said...

include that the ingame soundtracks are great which most mmorpgs have shitty to none soundtrack these days

Zorafim
Sep 15, 2013, 11:01 PM
I'd actually argue the soundtrack is pretty terrible, myself. I would never listen to the soundtrack outside of game, except for maybe the boss themes. The stage ones... sound good when you're playing, but are not actually very musical. They just set the mood well.

Which is, actually, kind of funny. PSU had a beautiful soundtrack, but used its songs terribly. You only heard the worst of the songs, and the best ones weren't used very often. This game has bad songs, but each is used beautifully.

Gama
Sep 15, 2013, 11:07 PM
lacking on the bulge slider. nuff said.

Walkure
Sep 15, 2013, 11:13 PM
Is fun Action RPG; it's far, far closer to Monster Hunter than any classic MMO I've played. Especially with the lack of actual party roles in practice. Endgame is about running really fast, or playing dressup while running things.

I'd actually argue the soundtrack is pretty terrible, myself. I would never listen to the soundtrack outside of game, except for maybe the boss themes. The stage ones... sound good when you're playing, but are not actually very musical. They just set the mood well.

Which is, actually, kind of funny. PSU had a beautiful soundtrack, but used its songs terribly. You only heard the worst of the songs, and the best ones weren't used very often. This game has bad songs, but each is used beautifully.The thing is, they're not even meant to be songs. They're meant to enhance game immersion, and if the music does that in a video game then it's done its purpose very well.

Chdata
Sep 15, 2013, 11:16 PM
Musical tastes are subjective.

However, the 3D modeling and animation in this game and character creation and 3D modeling of various attacks and stuff are better than anything else I've played.

Zorafim
Sep 15, 2013, 11:36 PM
The thing is, they're not even meant to be songs. They're meant to enhance game immersion, and if the music does that in a video game then it's done its purpose very well.

Well, in that case, it's done its job well.

Musical tastes are subjective.

A skilled painter dedicating his life to his trade spends months perfecting a painting, and offers it to the public. A toddler spends two minutes randomly scribbling on a piece of paper, and is shown next to the previous painter. It would be downright insulting to even compare the two.

One person may prefer metal. And another person may prefer baroque. But that doesn't mean that some random metal song is on par with a Bach etude because some guy likes metal more. And just the same, some random baroque song an unskilled artist drew up wouldn't be on par with the best metal song out there.

If it were true that all music was just as good, then I could slap some notes together in a random pattern and synth them with any old instrument, and it would stand up to the great songs. Doing this would save me weeks of my life. But, I have to work hard, studying sources and put grueling detail into each of my measures when I compose.

Yes, musical taste is subjective. But that doesn't change the fact that some songs are better than others.

However, the 3D modeling and animation in this game and character creation and 3D modeling of various attacks and stuff are better than anything else I've played.

I have to agree with this. I don't like many of the animations I'm stuck with (why does a world class warrior run like a sissy? Why can't I wave to someone without showing how limp my wrist is?). But that's a stylistic problem. All the models look alive when they move, and I honestly think it looks at least as good as any other game I've seen.

The Walrus
Sep 15, 2013, 11:39 PM
Kinda mediocre but still has lots of potential if SEGA gets off their asses and makes the changes needed so it can be great.

So basically it will always be mediocre.

Zorafim
Sep 15, 2013, 11:49 PM
I think I've said this before. But when a friend and I went back and played a whole bunch of different Sega games, we realized that they all had the same problem. They were all fantastic...at doing a specific thing. But, there was always something that it was terrible at which could easily ruin the game, despite all its other strengths.

Jet Set Radio had neat fast paced gameplay, some neat exploration mechanics, neat stunts, all that good jazz. But, it was ruined by spaztic controls and unfair placements.

Sonic was rewarding for skilled players, who could dance around a level. But a new player was stuck playing trial and error until he got through the game.

Phantasy Star looked beautiful at the time, and had very neat and unique concepts to it. But most of your time playing was spent grinding for experience and money, and it would take a dedicated player to figure out the secret needed to continue the main plot.

With this in mind, I think PSO2 is about on par with other Sega games. It looks beautiful, plays beautiful, allows for players to fully express themselves with its customization options, and has really enjoyable chat options. But, the gameplay is incredibly repetitive. Considering it's an online game where you're meant to spent thousands of hours playing, it's really easy to get used to what makes it good and focus on what makes it bad.

Arialle
Sep 16, 2013, 12:21 AM

Which is, actually, kind of funny. PSU had a beautiful soundtrack, but used its songs terribly. You only heard the worst of the songs, and the best ones weren't used very often. This game has bad songs, but each is used beautifully.

i wont deny that PSOBB had better music thou

if theres anything else about this game is the monster types.... i rather have a harder n cooler darker like delsabers and not pure nuisance like gu wondas

AlaskanKactus
Sep 16, 2013, 12:33 AM
I was going to write a few paragraphs explaining my opinion about this game but Zorafim has pretty much said it all. I agree with everything he/she has said :D

I will say this though, SEGA has done a terrible job in making the player feel immersed in the world of PSO2. The music doesn't have that beautiful atmospheric feel to it (like PSO1). I don't feel like I'm really going to other planets like I did in PSU. That game let you view and cycle through the planets when switching lobbies. As well as showing the planet's areas on a map.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 16, 2013, 01:53 AM
As of so far its my favorite PS game next to PS IV and PSO. Now PSO2 vs other online rpgs its lacking in content but its only a year old so I can forgive that. Now comparing it to f2p rpgs it takes the fucking cake I don't think I've ever played a better online rpg that's free(and yes I've tried a shit load of others).

SakuRei
Sep 16, 2013, 05:46 AM
The first thing that comes to mind to me is Fury stance and other stuff in the Hunter tree.

Let's say, junk armor for Megaman Zero. Makes you hit the hardest but you die almost in one hit. Basically like Hunar armour in PSO2. This is what I'd expect fury stance to be like, but in reality it's otherwise not a hindrance at all.

Tanking in PSO2: It's there and you can do it, but often fairly unnecessary because PSO2 relies less on "slowly kill you over time while draining your resources and maybe a surprise KO somehow" and focuses more on "chain or one hit kill you instantly while you are otherwise full on HP and can go refill on HP items whenever you want and be revived whenever you want".

Even tanking as an ancients mage in runescape was better than that ;o

Hmm... Guess For me...

(#1)
Honestly comparing to RF Online (which was the recent top Sci-Fi MMORPG IMO) It is like RF Online but without the PvP and race war basis I admit that this one topped RF Online for me. (and mostly I'm fond on Non-PvP System type of Online Games)

(#2)
From Monster Hunter vs. PSO2 I'd say I'm quite So-so for the battle styles and through Teamwork and effort in defeating a monster well, I'd say these two are evenly matched (IF by chance your teammates are cooperative) and the advanced part of PSO2 is the accessories and weapons don't have durability which you have free time to use weapons and accessories by their own without the breaking or damage reduction process if the durability of the weapon or armor is low or the blunt weapon thingy (Which you will need some stone to sharpen it again) in MH games.

(#3)
The Upgrading system is quite okay compared to other online games, for PSO2 all you just have to gamble is Meseta and other upgrade +% things while other MMO's you need to ganble money, upgrade %'s and the worst part the chance for it not to break, though for the ability combining in PSO2 still confuses me (Where you need 1 similar weapon to combine it to another similar weapon, the soul transferring, element upgrades, how to put abilities in 1 weapon for combination to the original one, how to unlock slots on the original weapon, etc.) From the ability unlocking/socketing it is kinda similar to equipment enchanting in Minecraft as far as I see...[/SPOILER-BOX]

(#4) (I'll Spoiler Box this one since this is kinda long... xD)
[SPOILER-BOX]PSO2 mostly sponsors other games that SEGA handles (Naming Sonic series, Shining Hearts, Virtua Fighter, etc.) Though I think SEGA handled RF Online as well back then in but it didn't stay long and went down. Though I'd be hoping (IF SEGA is that generous about it) I'd be glad to have Costumes and CAST Parts of RF Online Episode 1 in-game.

(And these are the Parts & Costumes I want for an ARKS Scratch if SEGA REALLY BY CHANCE remember RF Online xD) Note: This is just completely fake and not a real ARKS Scratch ^^

For CAST Parts:
[SPOILER-BOX]
Power Suit Series/Power Suit Series Replica (Lvl 47 Accretian Warrior Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/ACC47W_zpsaeff7c90.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

Temple Beam Series/Temple Beam Series Replica (Lvl 50 Accretian Warrior Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/ACC50W_zps39735c6e.gif
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Hora Piece Series/Hora Piece Series Replica (Lvl 47 Accretian Ranger Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/ACC47R_zps41fc1cfc.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

Metal Per Series/Metal Per Series Replica (Lvl 50 Accretian Ranger Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/ACC50R_zps2f1773ed.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

Normal EW Series/Normal EW Series Replica (Lvl 47 Accretian Launcher Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/ACC47L_zps7d3b3c87.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

EW Series/EW Series Replica (Lvl 50 Accretian Launcher Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/ACC50L_zpsab005caf.gif[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]

For the All Class Costumes:

[SPOILER-BOX]Bellato Race Replicas:

[SPOILER-BOX]Berserker Replica M/Berserker Replica F (Lvl 47 Bellato Warrior Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/BCC47WMampF_zpsa78a3f03.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Golden Replica M/Golden Replica F (Lvl 50 Bellato Warrior Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/BCC50WMampF_zpsf536fe71.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Small Hora Replica M/Small Hora Replica F (Lvl 47 Bellato Ranger Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/BCC47RMampF_zps185a7f8f.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Engage Replica M/Engage Replica F (Lvl 50 Bellato Ranger Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/BCC50RMampF_zps1505c4b5.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Noble Replica M/Noble Replica F (Lvl 47 Bellato Force Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/BCC47FMampF_zps5c4efc33.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Noble Hora Replica M/Noble Hora Replica F (Lvl 50 Bellato Force Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/BCC50FMampF_zps51e2839b.png[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]

Cora Race Replicas:

[SPOILER-BOX]JM Hora Replica M/JM Hora Replica F (Lvl 47 Cora Warrior Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/CCC47WMampF_zps1fede2ee.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Bone Replica M/Bone Replica F (Lvl 50 Cora Warrior Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/CCC50WMampF_zps18dbd5b6.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ranger Replica M/Ranger Replica F (Lvl 47 Cora Ranger Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/CCC47RMampF_zps57da69d9.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Azl Raiment Replica M/Azl Raiment Replica F (Lvl 50 Cora Ranger Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/CCC50RMampF_zps8747ccf0.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Decem Replica M/Decem Replica F (Lvl 47 Cora Force Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/CCC47FMampF_zps6e77d3d8.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Dru Replica M/Dru Replica F (Lvl 50 Cora Force Armor)
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/CCC50FMampF_zps815efb09.png[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]

Universal Costumes:

[SPOILER-BOX]Young Flym/Flem Replica
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/Flym_zpsd4768aea.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ether Chooty/Chootie Replica
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/stdaniel_004/Chootie_zps981bf65a.gif[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]

P.S: Sorry for the Spoiler Box-ception of this post xD ^^;

Chdata
Sep 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
A skilled painter dedicating his life to his trade spends months perfecting a painting, and offers it to the public. A toddler spends two minutes randomly scribbling on a piece of paper, and is shown next to the previous painter. It would be downright insulting to even compare the two.

One person may prefer metal. And another person may prefer baroque. But that doesn't mean that some random metal song is on par with a Bach etude because some guy likes metal more. And just the same, some random baroque song an unskilled artist drew up wouldn't be on par with the best metal song out there.

If it were true that all music was just as good, then I could slap some notes together in a random pattern and synth them with any old instrument, and it would stand up to the great songs. Doing this would save me weeks of my life. But, I have to work hard, studying sources and put grueling detail into each of my measures when I compose.

Yes, musical taste is subjective. But that doesn't change the fact that some songs are better than others.

I'm not saying some songs aren't better than others. I'm also not comparing a crayon doodle to a painted masterpiece. Not to mention, this music is designed for in-game play. It is not designed for the random Joe to put on their iPod to listen to. You notice that when monsters are around, music intensifies, and even more during PSE bursts. It's like SSBBrawl's remixes. They are all upbeat compared to what you'd hear in the original game related to the remix. Why? It's a fighting game. You wouldn't play calm music during that. In SSBB, during a battle, one song might be nice, but actually listening to it on its own made it boring tune-wise. This isn't homeless people banging spoons together either in the case of PSO2. Obviously a lot of work goes in to their music.

I particularly like Sanctum's themes a lot. I'd probably put that on my iPod. Classical music though, complete crap. It's not even made to have a beat.

Also a quick youtube search of classical music: Immediately see videos with 4-5m views. Search of dubstep, one with 13m and 7m and more 5m view ones. Party rock anthem, 568m views. 175m views. Beethoven, 4m, 10m, 15m, 50m. Baroque, 650k and 38k on another. Metal, ignoring America's Got Talent, showing around 300k views. Hardstyle with 2m-4m and other 200k-300k vids. Skrillex, 130m-150m videos. There's probably other songs with billions of views because people re-watch them so much.

Despite these statistics, one can't generalize Party rock anthem as the best song in the world. It's subjective to your tastes. On average it's the best, but not to any single party.

Also part of it is because I'm new to the PSO universe and you're not, so it all sounds fine to me but for you, you have something to compare it to.

MetalDude
Sep 16, 2013, 01:27 PM
If I have to choose though, I'd rather the Sympathy system didn't exist at all. Kobayashi has proven before that he can create something that's incredibly memorable and still great within a fight (see: PSO1's music). I don't like that PSO2 has very little real outside-listening value besides a few boss tunes and maybe one or two particular area themes. He's capable of way more than this.

Retehi
Sep 16, 2013, 02:39 PM
Everything I play/played is a double cheeseburger.

PSO2 is fermented soy milk.

Dr. Professor
Sep 16, 2013, 03:56 PM
I'm not saying some songs aren't better than others. I'm also not comparing a crayon doodle to a painted masterpiece. Not to mention, this music is designed for in-game play. It is not designed for the random Joe to put on their iPod to listen to. You notice that when monsters are around, music intensifies, and even more during PSE bursts. It's like SSBBrawl's remixes. They are all upbeat compared to what you'd hear in the original game related to the remix. Why? It's a fighting game. You wouldn't play calm music during that. In SSBB, during a battle, one song might be nice, but actually listening to it on its own made it boring tune-wise. This isn't homeless people banging spoons together either in the case of PSO2. Obviously a lot of work goes in to their music.

I particularly like Sanctum's themes a lot. I'd probably put that on my iPod. Classical music though, complete crap. It's not even made to have a beat.

Also a quick youtube search of classical music: Immediately see videos with 4-5m views. Search of dubstep, one with 13m and 7m and more 5m view ones. Party rock anthem, 568m views. 175m views. Beethoven, 4m, 10m, 15m, 50m. Baroque, 650k and 38k on another. Metal, ignoring America's Got Talent, showing around 300k views. Hardstyle with 2m-4m and other 200k-300k vids. Skrillex, 130m-150m videos. There's probably other songs with billions of views because people re-watch them so much.

Despite these statistics, one can't generalize Party rock anthem as the best song in the world. It's subjective to your tastes. On average it's the best, but not to any single party.

Also part of it is because I'm new to the PSO universe and you're not, so it all sounds fine to me but for you, you have something to compare it to.

If I may interject, I don't think we should use the word "best", as Zorafim did not use it. I think when Zorafim spoke it was on the context that certain forms of music certainly have more effort, time, and skill placed into them, and in this case with PSO2, it falls more towards the crayon picture. In fact I think it may be a bit hard to simply say something is the "best" in such a wide and varied arena. Trying to say metal is better than classical, or vice versa, will always be a taste of the listener since the forms have large differences. Using youtube view count to see how many views something has doesn't really aid to make a point in this, unless one were to argue what is currently the most popular form of music. I know you add on to this, but I find myself a bit perplexed by the reasoned inclusion of said numbers in this case of different opinions. Perhaps it is just me. An explanation is always welcome.

As for being stand alone music or not, I would personally disagree. Music designed to be heard by crowds, to add suspense to a movie, add immersion to a game, etc. should always be something unique and vivid to the listener. It may be designed to switch up in the game when things heat up, specifically PSO2 in this case, but that doesn't give an excuse for why it shouldn't be just as good on an ipod or the like. To just give an example, look to "Cry, for 'Idola' the Holy" in PSO. Yes, it's designed for a game, but when you hear that theme you know exactly what it is. It stands out, and gives the exact feeling one should have for this final, climatic battle. Even if it was designed for one purpose, it still excels beyond that. At least it does for me anyway, though I have had some personal examples of fellow people knowing exactly what that song links back to.

It could be argued the song is still not meant for ipod, but had I heard it elsewhere and not from the game, it would still leave an impression on me. I can't speak for others, though I feel it would have left a mark. After all, companies do sell the soundtracks to the games the originate from. There must be enough people out there, who willingly listen to the music outside of the game to make it a worthy investment.

Of course what sells well and doesn't is a whole different ball game. As you said before, music is subjective.

Zorafim
Sep 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
Dang you talk pretty. Why can't we have more arguments like this? Keep it going!

Enforcer MKV
Sep 16, 2013, 04:47 PM
Kinda mediocre but still has lots of potential if SEGA gets off their asses and makes the changes needed so it can be great.

So basically it will always be mediocre.

More or less this. The game has so much potential; I feel it every time I play. But it's going to be unrealized, for the most part.

Their F2P model also has glaring flaws that upset me the more I think about them. But yeah, it's a fun game when you stop thinking about the issues it has.

gigawuts
Sep 16, 2013, 06:04 PM
good skeleton, bad meat, as is the case with many MMOs and many sega games - so this was a natural outcome

Chdata
Sep 16, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'm using 'best' in the context of 'better'. The point of numbers was to agree on average most of the population considers some songs better, but a single person has no place trying to explain why they think it's the best. Not even me. Any one of us could go survey everyone who plays PSO2 and see whether they like or dislike the music more on average.

Either way, just what are you listening to that makes PSO2's music sound like crayons? Because it definitely doesn't sound like crayons to me. It sounds very, very detailed. Like any other game sound track. Infact, more than many other game soundtracks. I didn't say much about the difference between listening to it in-game and out-game because I simply haven't listened to many of the themes out-game, but now that I have, they really don't sound bad...? It'd help if you'd point out what you're comparing to exactly that way overshadows this so much that it sounds like crayons, metaphorically speaking. There has to be some reason it sounds so bad. Or if I had more background of what kinda music you listen to, cause I listen to trance, DnB, hardstyle, dubstep, speedcore mostly. Before that I used to mostly listen to VGM from various games. If you're someone who listens to a lot of country or classic or something I could see why it doesn't sound good to you. Cause all either of us is saying so far is 'I don't like it' and 'I like it' which means nothing without context as to why.

(I don't mean to argue - I'm from a Science/Religion/Philosophy/Politics forum so it happens naturally, I just wanna know why you think it's bad).

Also nostalgically speaking I could easily recognizing a lot of the themes here ;v

Zorafim
Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
I take several things into account when judging a song. I put most emphasis on chord progression, and musical voicings come as a close second. Rhythm is also important, as is instrument quality.

You mentioned Sanctum as one of the songs you liked? That one's actually one of the best original tracks in the game. The chords are lovely. The melodies are...there, I suppose. Enough to embellish the song, but definitely not the strong point of the song. Rhythm and instrument quality is where it stands out. The rhythms really drive the song forward. Make you stand alert, while fitting together neatly. And the instruments give both an enlightened and powerful vibe to the track.

On average, songs in this game aren't this good. The melodies are my main concern. Normally, the melodies are all over the place, being far too complex and spastic. Chord progressions aren't often great, either. They usually stagnate, and try to make other parts make up for it. Rhythms are normally good, if too complex. As for the instruments, I'll admit they often fit the area they're meant to.

You're looking too far into the toddler vs master comparison. That's meant to show that pieces of art can be better or worse than each other. It's a simplified comparison to exaggerate the results. Again, I think the songs are okay in context, and they do their job well. They're just no DKC2.

And I'd argue against a single person not being able to identify good songs vs bad ones. I think somebody who studies music has a good idea what songs are good or bad. Knowing to trust someone's taste is tougher, though. A purist who only likes classical would probably turn his nose up at dubstep, even if a genius appeared at his doorstep and played his masterpiece. The truth of the matter is that there are a large number of variables to go into a good song. Some people may look at one variable, while others may look at another. And in the end, they'll disagree on the exact quality of the song. A good example is that I like melodic songs, and would turn my nose up at a rhythmic song even if the rhythm is fantastic.

And lastly, never apologize for starting a good argument. An ideal forum would always have a good argument going at all times. Though to be fair, I think I started it.

Chdata
Sep 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
I apologized because lots of bad arguments get started that aren't solved factually and are solved by a moderator stopping or averting flaming.

I liked sanctum a lot because of the beat it has, along with fitting its area. It has a dark sense to it while also fitting the crystally/magic/light theme of Amduscia.

I like pretty much all of the song, but when these drums come out ;o

http://youtu.be/TxhD_4N7LWw?t=2m49s

;o ;o

Also I really, really dislike singing. But I like chorus.

Bal Rodos theme sounds really familiar to me, like I've heard it in some other game. I just can't think of what it reminds me of.

What's the worst song to you?

Cyclon
Sep 17, 2013, 12:07 AM
junk armor for Megaman ZeroClassy.

I'd say comparing PSO2 to other "similar" games I played(and enjoyed)would be like comparing Sonic adventure to Sonic adventure 2. As it stands, the former is a much less balanced game, because it has a considerable quantity of all kinds of flaws that most people just won't put up with. So I'd say it's objectively the worse of the two.
But, it so happens that Sonic adventure does what's the most important to me better, and as such, I see it as a "special" game, while the other is simply one that I enjoy and respect.

Not sure that answers your question though.

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 17, 2013, 12:21 AM
I like it more than most MMOs because I hate MMOs

Zorafim
Sep 17, 2013, 02:38 PM
Or if I had more background of what kinda music you listen to,

I probably should have answered this, too. If you want my background in music, just click on my sig.
I wonder if I should advertise my threads more obviously...

As for what song is the worst in this game... Really, I can't tell you. It's been so long since I've actually closely listened to the soundtrack. I normally have my own music up, or watch anime when playing. I can only generalize on what I remember. And to find the worst song, I'd really have to listen to and study them all.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 17, 2013, 02:40 PM
Compared to other dress up games, this is the best, 10/10.

MetalDude
Sep 17, 2013, 02:46 PM
I probably should have answered this, too. If you want my background in music, just click on my sig.
I wonder if I should advertise my threads more obviously...

As for what song is the worst in this game... Really, I can't tell you. It's been so long since I've actually closely listened to the soundtrack. I normally have my own music up, or watch anime when playing. I can only generalize on what I remember. And to find the worst song, I'd really have to listen to and study them all.

It's a pretty safe bet to say Caves. Boring and non-descript.

Skyly HUmar
Sep 17, 2013, 02:47 PM
lacking imo.

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 17, 2013, 02:47 PM
Is Caves even music

MetalDude
Sep 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
I mean, if you don't count it then my next vote is non-PSE Tunnels but it's really just uninteresting instead of irritating.

Irritating would be something like the song they picked for the New Years Lobby. Fuck. That.

Chdata
Sep 17, 2013, 04:15 PM
Psh, I thought caves fit the area fairly well and forest was kind of eh in comparison.

Also Zorafim, because your images in your sig are the links to the thread, and not the text related to your thread, I thought you just expected people to go [search function] your threads because you didn't want to link them and that clicking on the images would just open the image in a new tab.

Shirai
Sep 17, 2013, 05:42 PM
compared to PSO1.
Highly disappointed.

Compared to other MMOs, it is better than most.

Zorafim
Sep 17, 2013, 08:13 PM
Also Zorafim, because your images in your sig are the links to the thread, and not the text related to your thread, I thought you just expected people to go [search function] your threads because you didn't want to link them and that clicking on the images would just open the image in a new tab.

Damn it, that makes a load of sense. Oh well, easy fix. Although I'd rather people click on my sig than my text, it makes a lot of sense to link directly to the threads from the text.

Actually, it would make more sense to lead people to a general post with all my stuff, then lead them off from there. But I know people won't be interested for that long. I know I wouldn't.

compared to PSO1.
Highly disappointed.

Compared to other MMOs, it is better than most.

Could you elaborate on this? Tell us exactly what you prefer about PSO? I honestly think PSO2 is the first game to finally compete with PSO. The combat's better (I still argue that PSU's was worse), the customization and visuals are at least as good (I argue that they're better), the story telling is... Okay, fine. Terrible. Much worse than even what PSO had.

Anyway, many things about PSO2 are actually better than PSO. PSO did have less glaring flaws though. Less erotic outfits, less monotonous gameplay... Oh, I see. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, that's the most fun thing about PSO, and this game completely misses it. The dungeon crawling. If you and a few friends say "Let's play PSO!", what you do is go into the forest and go forward until you get bored. Or, any other area. In this game, though, you would go to an exploration and grind boring mobs for hours, not really gain anything, and then your friends quit out of boredom.

So, this game's flaw is gameplay design. There's no casual, fun stuff to do. Despite all the grinding that must be done, there's nothing fun to grind on.

Gama
Sep 17, 2013, 08:17 PM
i think caves audio fits the area, makes me sleepy.

Rexob
Sep 17, 2013, 08:22 PM
fun to grind on.

This is an oxymoron. Grinding by gaming definition is completing the same task/mission/quest/mob/item/raid etc over and over again. Anything that a player has to accomplish countless times for X or Y reward or chance at a reward is not going to be fun.

Of all the MMOs, WoW makes the strongest attempt with its daily quests to keep them somewhat unique and different in MOP, but eventually they are all recycled countless times too...Grinding is not, by definition & game design, "fun".

Zorafim
Sep 17, 2013, 08:33 PM
Well, yes. Okay. But there is still grinds that are more fun than other grinds. Again using WoW as an example, grinding Golden Lotus is loads more fun than grinding anything in BC. The act of doing something over and over is not fun, and in fact we play video games to escape the grinds in our own lives. But, if you did something fun over and over again, it would be more entertaining than doing something boring over and over again.

So, I'm assuming that we already know that grinding is boring. But I'm stating that grinding something we like doing is much less boring. Going through forest > ruins over and over again gets old fast, yes. But, running around in circles killing enemies as they spawn gets old much faster.

and WHY AM I HAVING FUN ARGUING SOMETHING SO POINTLESS?!

MetalDude
Sep 17, 2013, 08:38 PM
You pretty much summed it up as far as where PSO succeeds. Of all the irony, PSO2's attempt to randomize everything made everything too similar. The level of randomness is really flat resulting in an experience that's almost always identical in the end. They nerfed code frequency and slashed PSE bursts (despite saying it wouldn't affect normal bursts) leaving an experience that's random on the most fundamentally boring level ever: spawn composition and area layout.

Rexob
Sep 17, 2013, 08:44 PM
Well, yes. Okay. But there is still grinds that are more fun than other grinds. Again using WoW as an example, grinding Golden Lotus is loads more fun than grinding anything in BC. The act of doing something over and over is not fun, and in fact we play video games to escape the grinds in our own lives. But, if you did something fun over and over again, it would be more entertaining than doing something boring over and over again.

So, I'm assuming that we already know that grinding is boring. But I'm stating that grinding something we like doing is much less boring. Going through forest > ruins over and over again gets old fast, yes. But, running around in circles killing enemies as they spawn gets old much faster.

and WHY AM I HAVING FUN ARGUING SOMETHING SO POINTLESS?!

Doing anything "over and over again" eventually loses its luster lol...I've played a lot of different MMOs now - EQ, COH, Champions Online, Eve, SWG, Warhammer, AOC, TERA, SWOTR, WoW, probably some others I'm forgetting - all of the grinds have two things in common:

1. They Suck
2. By the 10th time it was boring regardless of how cool it was the first 9

Shirai
Sep 17, 2013, 08:51 PM
In this game, though, you would go to an exploration and grind boring mobs for hours, not really gain anything, and then your friends quit out of boredom.

So, this game's flaw is gameplay design. There's no casual, fun stuff to do. Despite all the grinding that must be done, there's nothing fun to grind on.

Basically what you said.

PSO1 just felt more accomplishing(well to me,lol). In PSO2, it's just dull, the gameplay that is. PSO2 is better than PSO1 in some instances of gameplay wise, as it was pretty bland. But it just has some elements that PSO2 lacks. It's still a decent game. I just wish there was more to it.

I guess it really is just the whole dungeon crawl feel.