PDA

View Full Version : pick what Te's name should be

Omega-z
Sep 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Hi, Everyone

I made this thread because the up coming use of Techter instead of Techer. It look's weird that way and doesn't sound right in English. I understand the name テクター is Tekuta but to get that spelling for Techter you have to break up the name which it's not. I wondering if the kut part is more or less a double kk instead making it look like Tekker. So I decided to put a poll for you to post what you think.

Update : working on the poll it's my first one.

Option's:

1.) Leave it as "Techer" like before.
2.) Change it to "Techter" the new broken (テク ター) look.
3.) Making it look better and have it as "Tekker".
4.) Call it after the sound as "Tekuta".
5.) Have fun with it and call it the "Test Restrictor" or just "Restrictor" (テ クター) look.
6.) It sucks call it "Teeerash".
7.) Call it "Tector" what the Japanese think it is.

Update 2: poll is up.:)
Update 3: add option 7 - thank you Inazuma & GALEFORCE

Chdata
Sep 23, 2013, 09:03 PM
Tekta would fit English pronunciation more because often u's in the middle there get skipped. Like custom sprite being カスタムスプライト which is Kasutamu supuraito only because they have vowels after everything.

strikerhunter
Sep 23, 2013, 09:11 PM
I'm only saying leave as is "techer" because every time I pronounce techter it only reminds comes out of my mouth as teacher for some reason.

ReaperTheAbsol
Sep 23, 2013, 09:26 PM
I'm just gonna call them something considerably different like... Tektite (テクタイト).

Shadowth117
Sep 23, 2013, 09:33 PM
How about we just translate it like they translated it before in PSU? Like how フォルテクター became Fortetecher. PSO2's Fighter, Gunner, and Techer clearly came from PSU's Fortefighter, Fortegunner, and Fortetecher respectively. So why change it? That's clearly how they wanted it before and how it will be translated whenever the English release comes.

Lostbob117
Sep 23, 2013, 09:43 PM
It's going to stay Techer in the English Patch, that is what people are going to call it, what is the point of this?

Chdata
Sep 23, 2013, 09:57 PM
jsyk despite me suggesting tekta i will still say Techer.

Omega-z
Sep 23, 2013, 10:03 PM
I agree that Techer is the best, But also answering your question Lostbob117 why? Is because there has been a lot of poster's using Techter lately. At first I thought they missed typed it but there has been more and more new and some old posters using the spelling and even Cirnopedia uses that spelling. The only thing I can think of is the Eng. Patch got goofed up and is calling it Techter instead of Techer since there seeing what's on there screens. So, it's to see what people prefer with it.

GALEFORCE
Sep 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
Tector looks better than techter, and it makes just as much sense.

Probably stick with techer though.

Lostbob117
Sep 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
I agree that Techer is the best, But also answering your question Lostbob117 why? Is because there has been a lot of poster's using Techter lately. At first I thought they missed typed it but there has been more and more new and some old posters using the spelling and even Cirnopedia uses that spelling. The only thing I can think of is the Eng. Patch got goofed up and is calling it Techter instead of Techer since there seeing what's on there screens. So, it's to see what people prefer with it.

It's Techer in the English Patch and has always been that way.

Inazuma
Sep 23, 2013, 10:21 PM
I talked about this with my Japanese team a few weeks ago. For the most part, no one had any fucking idea about the origins of the name or how to spell it with roman letters.

However, one person in my team said that Sega had spelled it as Tector on something. I don't have a link to it, sorry. If Tector is correct, that would mean it could be a combination of the words "technique" and "protector" or just "protector" alone. Gigawutts would be happy to read this.

So for now, I find myself spelling it Tector, as it seems the most correct from what I know.

If anyone has a link to the official Sega of Japan spelling of the word as Tector or any other way, please post it here.

Omega-z
Sep 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
@Lostbob117 - Thank you for Confirming that, Yeah didn't think it was.:)

@GALEFORCE - I like that spelling too and it's creative.:rappy:

Update: @Inazuma - Very interesting.....hmmm ...I think I'll add it to the main post as an option and we can still talk about it. Since I don't think I can add it to the poll now.:(

Zenobia
Sep 23, 2013, 10:30 PM
Tector as in protector like me and Giga agreed and as i was written in the book.

supersonix9
Sep 23, 2013, 10:30 PM
it should be called

Shadowth117
Sep 23, 2013, 10:34 PM
I talked about this with my Japanese team a few weeks ago. For the most part, no one had any fucking idea about the origins of the name or how to spell it with roman letters.

However, one person in my team said that Sega had spelled it as Tector on something. I don't have a link to it, sorry. If Tector is correct, that would mean it could be a combination of the words "technique" and "protector" or just "protector" alone. Gigawutts would be happy to read this.

So for now, I find myself spelling it Tector, as it seems the most correct from what I know.

If anyone has a link to the official Sega of Japan spelling of the word as Tector or any other way, please post it here.

How about we just translate it like they translated it before in PSU? Like how フォルテクター became Fortetecher. PSO2's Fighter, Gunner, and Techer clearly came from PSU's Fortefighter, Fortegunner, and Fortetecher respectively. So why change it? That's clearly how they wanted it before and how it will be translated whenever the English release comes.

I don't know what else you want hear dude. Its likely there's not an"official Sega of Japan spelling of the word" in English because that's not the language they use. However, one can reason that Sega of America's localization of PSU was supervised by Sega of Japan, and from that it seems clear enough that that was their accepted spelling of said word.

Punisher106
Sep 23, 2013, 11:01 PM

I say Techer, well, because of this. It was Fighter/gunner/techer where it wasn't hunter/ranger/force in PSU, regarding the class system. Keep it this way.

inb4 talk about renaming "Braver" to "Protranser".

Lostbob117
Sep 23, 2013, 11:11 PM
I say Techer, well, because of this. It was Fighter/gunner/techer where it wasn't hunter/ranger/force in PSU, regarding the class system. Keep it this way.

inb4 talk about renaming "Braver" to "Protranser".

If Braver would be changed to anything, it would be Vanguard, however it's not going to change.

gigawuts
Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 PM
Plenty of things are completely revised in translation or between generations. Sega could call the class Frank if they wanted to and we'd wind up adopting it in the end. Actually, I'd prefer that, because I find things like this a bit irritating.

Shadowth does bring up a good point with fortetecher, but I think the class in PSO2 is definitely more separated from that role than gunner is from fortegunner and fighter is from fortefighter. Considering the class's support-oriented skills and intent to be closer to other players that are close to enemies, "Tector" fits. "Techer" also fits though, because it does use techs so why not.

I go with "Tector," but not enough to correct anyone about it unless they say "Techter" because that's just about as appealing as saying you'll "axe" someone a question.

Punisher106
Sep 23, 2013, 11:17 PM
If Braver would be changed to anything, it would be Vanguard, however it's not going to change.

Of course, I know that. It's just the ideas of "Techer" being changed to such profound names, well, yeah.

Aine
Sep 23, 2013, 11:41 PM
isn't it called techer in all the datamined stuff

UnLucky
Sep 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
isn't it called techer in all the datamined stuff

Yes, but there's also Poizon and other crazier stuff in there.

Techer makes sense next to Fighter and Gunner following an obvious theme. I mean, Ranger still uses guns to fight with too, so it's not like Techer can't be named as such because it uses techs.

Sp-24
Sep 24, 2013, 01:29 AM
Fighter and Gunner are actual words, though, whereas Techer is, well, that.

I'm going with "Techter", since that's how the name is romanized, and that way, it still has some, even if loose, connection to techniques.