PDA

View Full Version : Post on subjects that you know!

TeamPhalanx
Apr 10, 2003, 07:49 PM
What the hell is wrong with people?

More and more I see members here make posts here when they don't have a freakin' clue what they're talking about. It's like I'm in some kind of Twilight Zone episode where half the people are morons.

It's ridiculous, and it's almost everywhere.

You have people giving out stupid advice for boss battles when they don't even have a clue themselves. Keep hitting Olga even when its hurting FLOWEN?!? - Shut up! Then you have those that try to argue when they don't seemingly know anything about the topic at hand.

Do some people enjoy making themselves look like a complete fool? Are some just making a post in a vain attempt to seem intelligent? Is getting a high post count that important?

Do yourself a favor and just don't post entirely or do some damn research.

LollipopLolita
Apr 10, 2003, 07:50 PM
Then what about all those war posts?

Some of them actually make me laugh!

RagMasterRappy
Apr 10, 2003, 07:55 PM
You need to be a little more tollerant of certain people. There are complete morons out there, but using your example, lets say that the person who is giving that faulty advice is not completely sure themself or is still experimenting fighting that boss? They might think they're right, but as you have pointed out they're not. I don't think it's necessary to attack people who are still gaining experience even though it might irritate you that what they're saying is not totally correct. You should make web site that has everything on it that people "should" know about PSO and then tell anyone about it who you think "needs" to go there. Chances are people won't care enough because they're having a fun time playing the game and learning for themselves.

The_Hero_Of_Time
Apr 10, 2003, 08:00 PM
ha ha, i try not to fall into that catagory, but we all did/do at one point in our time on this fourm.

janitorbob
Apr 10, 2003, 08:04 PM
No, the Fonz can't jump over ten elephants side by side!!!! but buses on the other hand... And the best game ever was "Jim Power, in the lost dimension, in 3D" and you shouldn't try to hurt Flowen by hitting Olga!!!! that's just mean. And Monomate it is rare.
Yeah, you CAN get offline FSOD, and duping is good!

but yeah well people shouldn't talk about stuff they don't know. I hate it to.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 10, 2003, 08:08 PM
The war posts... They would be a lot more... How shall I say... not craptascular if those who posted actually knew a lot of the issues.

No advice is better than bad advice.

Hey, you don't see me in the technical support forum, do you? That's probably because I would be completely useless there.

RagMasterRappy
Apr 10, 2003, 09:37 PM
On 2003-04-10 18:08, TeamPhalanx wrote:
Hey, you don't see me in the technical support forum, do you? That's probably because I would be completely useless there.

Yeah, giving bad advice is not a good idea usually in that place, but in PSO who cares? It's a game not a hardware device.

LollipopLolita
Apr 10, 2003, 09:56 PM
Still no matter what, no matter how stupid a person is, there is absolutely no need to call them names. And there is no need to argue incessantly especially because you have differing views. Learn to pick your battles and know when to debate and debate well.

There are a lot of questionable views and statements on this site, and I don't feel the need to come down on every single one of them or trash every single poster that does that or whom I do not like.

What's the point of getting angry, that's just as dumb.

Guile
Apr 10, 2003, 09:58 PM
But if we all always thought before we posted our heads would hurt!

Omni-SqwirL
Apr 10, 2003, 11:19 PM
Most people just want high post counts, which has no relavance to anything really. I mean, if you have been here since the beginning, and, let's say, you have 3000 posts, then that's cool. But, if you just joined about 3 months ago, and you have 2350....that's useless. Post counts don't matter..if you have the title as a moderator...you have all the right to brag http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Omni-SqwirL on 2003-04-10 21:20 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Apr 11, 2003, 12:10 AM
On 2003-04-10 21:19, Omni-SqwirL wrote:
if you have the title as a moderator...you have all the right to brag http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

no, i personally don't like moderators bragging. moderators are not moderators just for the title.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 11, 2003, 07:26 AM
Bad advice in PSO may be worse, and there's a difference between honest mistakes and utter nonsese.

Remember the whole INFERNO + Sphere = NUG fiasco? There was this one that actually traded off all his rares (and this was during the pre-mass-dupe days, which means he probably found all the rares) in order to get the sphere. You just gotta feel for the guy, spending all that time looking to trade and not having anything in the end - Other than what's possibly the only legit photon sphere in the PSO world. My personal experince was the 90 pd = Blue-Black. I wasn't too thrilled when I found out that you only needed 50 pds.

Both of these incidents were honest mistakes. They were the result of a lack of total concrete information at the time. The ridiculous posts you see aren't honest mistakes. There's a lot of info out there now, and they're easy to find, yet people choose to overlook them.

Going back to the war issue, remember the whole thing about the US and Iraqi oil? That was really funny, but at the same time, somewhat sad. How much effort does it take to do a little bit of research on a topic?

On the name calling issue, sometimes it's true. Going back to dictionary.com...

Stupid: Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.

If a person repeatedly states a fact, and another person still doesn't get it, doesn't that make the person, by definition, stupid?

raiden999
Apr 11, 2003, 07:43 AM
On 2003-04-10 17:49, TeamPhalanx wrote:

Do yourself a favor and just don't post entirely or do some damn research.

Not all information is the same... some people may do research, but get bad info. Is that entirely their fault... no.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 11, 2003, 08:23 AM
I already posted on this matter with the honest mistakes comments.

And, yes, it is their fault. If you're writing a paper on Iraq and say that at no time did the US purchase their oil... You're not going to get an A. And, it's also stupid (yes, that word fits here) to use questionable sources in the first place when there are several sources to choose from.

Once again, going to dictionary.com

Stupid: Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.

All that is assuming that the person even did some research in the first place - That's not the case here. It's obvious that a lot of the comments made here aren't based on research/facts.

Using a recent post as an example, go and look up information on the diamond cartel, DeBeers. See how long it takes you to find false information on them as opposed to correct ones. If you're feeling lazy, use a bit of common sense. Odds are, you've seen their commercials (typically black & white, and ending with a picture of a diamond and the words A Diamond is Forever) Just from a commercial you should be able to deduce some things about them.

ABDUR101
Apr 11, 2003, 03:53 PM
On 2003-04-10 22:10, LollipopLolita wrote:
no, i personally don't like moderators bragging. moderators are not moderators just for the title.

....awwwww =|

*goes and does all of his make-up work*

ok, seriously, it's true. To brag because you're a mod..sort of defeats the purpose of being a mod really. Your dedication is why you're a mod.

People will only give advice on what they know, so feel free to correct them if you are rather sure they are wrong. Just don't go making accusations if you aren't sure, yeah?

raiden999
Apr 11, 2003, 04:07 PM
On 2003-04-11 06:23, TeamPhalanx wrote:
I already posted on this matter with the honest mistakes comments.

And, yes, it is their fault. If you're writing a paper on Iraq and say that at no time did the US purchase their oil... You're not going to get an A. And, it's also stupid (yes, that word fits here) to use questionable sources in the first place when there are several sources to choose from.

Well, *slightly on topic* what about the Bush/Gore election, when the media announced that Gore had won way before the absentee votes came in, and pretty much the whole country backed the media? Your calling someone who gets information like this from the media stupid??? I mean, if they come back and say that they were wrong because their information was misleading, what's the problem?

TeamPhalanx
Apr 11, 2003, 04:29 PM
No... read what I said. That would fit under the honest mistakes category.

They used all the resources they had, but there was limited data to start with. They relied on statistics. The vast majority of times, math works. That was one of those rare cases where it didn't work. It was an isolated case - I can't think of any other election where number crunching couldn't predict the results.

It's like some of the early errors here. The people that made the guides used all the resources they had. But, they still made mistakes. It's like losing when you give your best effort. Hey, as long as you give it your best...

Look at the comments being made here. You have (too much) a ton of information avaialable about Iraq, DeBeers, and whatever else that's being discussed. And yet, very few choose to go and seek out the information.

Doesn't that seem rather stupid? I don't think any other word fits here (minus the synonyms)

Mystil
Apr 11, 2003, 09:46 PM
Well that and the fact that I'm addicted to the game is why I don't post anywhere unless I have a rant or find a topic I can comment on. I know very little about this game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Scriptor
Apr 14, 2003, 08:37 PM
"What's the point of getting angry, that's just as dumb."...come on now, surely ye understand anger considering, I believe, I saw ye join in with the preaching.

And this somewhat benevolent, ambiguous, "research" term that keeps cropping up within ye sermons "Team Phalanx- The Last Legit". Ye speak of intelligence, and wisdom...and yet, is it wise to simply seek out some site (for example) with a report of some kind on the motives for war. Some report where ye cannot know for sure ANYTHING of it's authenticity- ye cannot possibly know who wrote it, how they came to know this, how accurate it is, how biased it is, how narrow-minded it is. Methinks ye are likely to find (if ye endeavoured henceforth) more likely than not, that the OPINION of the person/persons who be creating this exemplary "research" has severely influenced the content of it. Leading the reader to alter his/her mindset a certain way. Simply placing blind, and somewhat naieve, trust in research ye find from media (again, for example) simply because it has a big 'CNN' logo plastered over it is not necessarily intelligible or wise. Things ye seem to loath to be seen as yerself (unintelligible/unwise). Methinks the wisest course of action is to trust what ye own eyes and experiences tell ye, remaining as open-minded and objective as ye can at all times- especially when bringing these things henceforth, in this case in the form of 'posts'. And, truly, that is what these people are doing to a degree. They experience something, and speak out from their own experiences, having judged it is indeed worthy of bringing to light. The cause of this wrongness of fact that seems to bite at ye seemingly arrogant, lofty, attitude towards others intellect and ye own (apparent) high view of ye own- is caused, within all likelihood, a combination of 'leading' experiences (generally one-sided, opinionated slithers of media for example), and the person in question's inability to maintain the open-mindedness and objectiveness me spoke of earlier.

In summary, as some other poster wisely spoke, ye need to be more tolerant of people. On forums like this (this being one of the countless facets of life ye will experience if from) ye will seemingly always see, undoubtedly, mislead and over-opinionated and biased statements. And ye need not bear antipathy towards peoples that be not so quick of the mind- this is not their doing, intelligence cannot be taught and 'tis undeniably innate in that sense. Ye cannot harber antipathy for seeing a symptom of what is, ultimately, an 'affliction' (if ye like) that they suffer from - from no course of action they themselves undertook. Ye should try and mayhap be more balanced and be thankful if ye are quick of the mind and wise. But ye need not head any of what me has said, me be no preacher- me be not demanding, or even caring, of how ye choose to respond to this. Me be only trying to help ye towards balance, but then there must always be those in conflict- such as yeself. All things combining, over-lapping, intersecting, conflicting, crossing, dissecting, merging together to make the great tapestry that is such as we witness. Peace be with ye.

Zeebo
Apr 14, 2003, 10:57 PM
You guys are talking about me arn't you? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

MasterJoel
Apr 15, 2003, 02:28 AM
the way i see things, go ahead, call somebody a moron... its probably not the first... i'm sure i have been called a moron by morons before. bad information happens all the time, not just on message boards, but everywhere. its just a matter of weeding out the bad information from the good.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 15, 2003, 08:38 AM
That doesn't work.

Check out some of the posts made on asking advice for Olga Flow. Most of time you get a bunch of stupid people posting on the topic. (And yes, the word stpid is an apt way to describe them) They don't have a clue what they're talking about, and the person asked the question actually believes them.

Also, the topic isn't about filtering through info. It's about stupid people making stupid posts. It's like they're saying "Hey, look at me! Look how stupid I can be!" with every single post they make. That is the only thing they accomplish by posting on subject that they don't know. Such people are an affront to human intelligence.

CGoodness
Apr 15, 2003, 08:50 AM
Yes, there are a bunch of morons who post advice... y'know, because that Halbert worked soooo well on VHard Olga... >:o