PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Great Story Thread

PokeminMaster
Oct 4, 2013, 09:38 AM
Now, I'm partially doing this for my own benefit, but also for the benefit for any other people who at least somewhat enjoy the story. Personally, I really like Phantasy Star Online 2's plotline, but I feel that it's a bit segmented and... has two many different things going on at once. I loved PSU's story, and PSO's was really nice as well.

Now, since I'm only starting this list, it will only be a catalog of direct dialogue from in-game cutscenes. After I complete a Matter Board and all of its corresponding chapters, I will form a general overview or summary, with another to possibly preview the chapter without spoiling it too much. I have created a new character, and have a Google Drive file on which I type up the dialogue either during or after the cutscene.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody would post their opinion on this topic! I'd like to know if there are others interested, at least a little, in the story. I don't have a set schedule for when I'll be updating this, so it may be rather sporadic when it comes to timing. Also, point out any flaws or mistakes I may have made in typing this up, as well as posting your opinion of the Story itself, if you would! Any comments would be appreciated~

Thanks goes to AIDA, Kion, and any other users who have assisted in the translation of the Story's dialogue!
Special thanks to SEGA for writing and developing the plot itself!

Story Dialogue

Intro & Chapter 0
[spoiler-box][Outer Space] Intro
[spoiler-box]“Oracle - An enormous fleet capable of freely travelling between planets.”
“With its creation, it became possible to advance towards outer space, and a new history began.”
“And now, the range of our operations span across many galaxies.”
“On Oracle, a mercenary organization was formed to explore newly discovered planets.”
“Those mercenaries, known as Arks, descend to new locations to investigate.”
“The Arks consist of four species that exist within Oracle.”
“Humans with exceptional balance.”
“Newmans, proficient at utilizing photons.”
“Casts, with mechanical bodies.”
“And Deumans, with their remarkable attack power.”
“These four races cooperating and supporting each other is the foundation of Arks.”
“...We have arrived.”
“The planet we will embark upon is Naberius.”
“There is no civilization and the native creatures are vicious. Do not let your guard down.”
“May you fight bravely.”
[Campship]
“Newly enrolled Arks.”
“These are your first steps into a vast universe.”
“Prepare yourself and enter your personal data.”
“We welcome all into our organization.”[/spoiler-box]
[Campship: Scene 1] AP 238/2/20
[spoiler-box]Afin: “We’re here of our own accord. They don’t need to be so formal.”
“Hey! My name’s Afin. Good to meet you, partner!”
“Hey, are you even listening? Partner! I’m talking to you, partner!”
“It looks like we've been paired up, so let’s try to get along.”
“They keep saying nice things, I guess it’s just to make us comfortable. But to tell the truth here...”

[Choice #1: Yeah...]
“Because of that event 10 years ago, there are a lot fewer Arks. I guess they’re desperate for new recruits.”
“but I don’t really care about that. I've got my own things I want to do.”

[Choice #2: What?]
“What? You don’t know about what happened ten years ago?”
“...Or maybe you just wanted to forget?”
“I know exactly how you feel. I wish I could forget it all...”
“Alright! Well, let’s not sweat the small stuff and just try to do our best today.”

Brigitta: “Coordinate transfer complete. All Arks please disembark promptly.”
Afin: “Okay, we’re ready to go. Looks like an easy area for newbies like us. Let’s get going.”[/spoiler-box]
[Forest Area 1: Scene 1] AP 238/2/20 10:30
[spoiler-box]Afin: “Wow, everywhere you look, everything is green. Man, this is exciting stuff.”
“Sorry, I shouldn’t get so distracted. Yeah.”
“Hey, we’re still new to combat. Wanna go over the basic again?”[/spoiler-box]
[Forest Area 1: Scene 2] AP 238/2/20
[spoiler-box][Oodan Appears]
Afin: “Is that a native creature? It looks playful. Is it headed towards us?”
“Man, it doesn’t look friendly at all! Looks like we’re gonna have to fight it, partner!”[/spoiler-box]
[Forest Area 1: Scene 3] AP 238/2/20
[spoiler-box]Afin: “Whew... Looks like we made it. But we should expect more from here on out.”
“It’s not like I want to fight... But we have a mission, so let’s press on.”[/spoiler-box]
[Forest Area 2: Scene 1 AP 238/2/20 11:00
[spoiler-box]Afin: “Looks like we made it through the first part. I think I’m starting to get the hang of this.”
“You seem to be picking this up much faster than I am.”
“I joined the Arks to search for someone.”
“That’s why I don’t care much about fighting or exam scores.”
“Say partner, why’d you decide to join the Arks?”

[Alarm goes off]

“Wh-what’s going on?”

Brigitta: “Emergency notice for all Arks! Code D has been put into effect on Naberius! Photon levels are critical!”
“I repeat, Code D is in effect on Naberius! Spatial erosion has been observed!.”

Afin: “P-partner! Look!”
“This can’t be happening... These black things are just appearing out of nowhere....”
“I’ve got a really bad feeling about this. What the hell is going on?”

Brigitta: “Darker appearance confirmed! Activity has exceeded acceptable levels!”
“This is a top priority order for all Arks! Destroy the Darkers immediately!”

Afin: “These... are Darkers? The enemy of the Arks? It’s said they destroy and consume everything in their path.”
“What the hell? These things aren’t supposed to be on Naberius!”
“Break through? Are you crazy, partner? Do you honestly expect to fight through all these Darkers?”
“Well, shit! I guess we really don’t have a choice. Let’s roll!”
“We might stand a chance if we can find another team...”
“Well, here goes nothing!”

[You and Afin run forward]

“That... actually went better than expected. They probably won’t chase us.”

[More Dagan appear]

“Where do these things keep coming from?”
“Damn, looks like we’ve got no choice but to fight!”

[Chapter Start! 0: The Day I was Waiting For][/spoiler-box]
[Forest Area 3: Scene 1] AP 238/2/20 11:30
[spoiler-box]Afin: “Hey partner! Over there! It’s another examinee!”
“Hey, are you alright? I’m so glad we finally found someone...”

[Dagan spawns and kills the guy]

“This... this... can’t be real... He just died... so easily...”

[2 more spawn, approach you and Afin]

“Wh... Why is this happening? What are they after?”

[All 3 are shot, Zeno shown behind you]

Zeno: “...That was a close call. Good thing I left Echo behind.”
“Hey! you two! Are you alright?”

Afin: “A full-fledged Arks member?”
“Did you come to rescue us? Thank goodness, we’re saved!”

Zeno: “Hmmm... That was the plan, except there are a lot more Darkers here than I had anticipated.”

Afin: “But you did come here to help us... right?”

Zeno: “That’s why I called for backup. The rendezvous point is up ahead. We need to keep moving.”

Afin: “Wh-what? You expect us to fight our way there?”

Zeno: “You’re Arks, right? Of course I expect you to fight. At least your partner looks ready, even if you aren’t.”

Afin: “Hey... Partner... Yeah, I know, I know... We just have to do it, right?”

Zeno: “For a new recruit, you sure are calm. You’ve got potential...”
“Wait, excuse me, but... I swear I’ve seen your face somewhere before...”
“No matter. I’ll worry about that later. Let’s get a move on. Try to keep up, rookies!”

Afin: “Man, why did this have to happen on our first day?”

Zeno: “Quit your whining, rookie. Rest assured, I’ll keep you guys safe.”[/spoiler-box]
[Forest Area 4: Scene 1] AP 238/2/20 12:00
[spoiler-box]Afin: “What? There’s a ton of them here, too! What are we gonna do?”

Zeno: “It’s more interesting if there are challenges along the way, right? Shut up and get used to it.”
“Well, it’s about the right time, but I guess she’s late.”
“Sorry, rookies, I called for backup, but she’s still not here yet.”

Echo (Intercom): “Hey there, Zeno! Don’t go giving the new recruits the wrong impression of me.”

Zeno: “It’s your fault for being late. But more importantly, how’s the situation looking?”

Echo (Intercom): “Still not good. With this much Darker activity, we won’t be able to make an extraction.”

Zeno: “I see. So basically, we can get out of here once we’ve taken care of these Darkers.”

Echo (Intercom): “Should I come join you?”

Zeno: “No need. This rookie here is pretty good. Maybe even stronger than you!”

Echo (Intercom): “...Fine! Suit yourself!”

Zeno: “Okay, rookies, this is the last of them. Let’s take care of these guys and call it a day.”

[Zeno uses his Photon Blast to wipe out the Darkers][/spoiler-box]
[Campship: Scene 2] AP 238/2/20 12:30
[spoiler-box][Static Screen]

???: “...Help...”

[Enter Campship]

Echo: “Glad to see you made it back. You didn’t get hurt, did you?”

Zeno: “Hey now, I was with them. You think I’d ever let something happen to some rookies?

Echo: “That’s what I was worried about. I know it was probably a lot to deal with, but it looks like you guys made it.”

Zeno: “...Hey”

Afin: “Um, sir? Who is this?”
“Oh and uh... I don’t think I caught your name either, sir...”

Echo: “Zeno, don’t tell me you didn’t even bother to introduce yourself.”

Zeno: “Now that you mention it, I completely forgot. I figured they already knew who I was.”
“My name is Zeno. The obnoxious one here is Echo.”

Echo: “Nice to meet you, and I”m not the obnoxious one.”

Afin: “My name is Afin. I’m pleased to meet you.”
“And this is my partner, {Character Name}.”
“We just joined the Arks and have no idea what to make of anything yet...”

Zeno: “Don’t worry about it. You can think about it later, or investigate on your own.”
“Those things we were fighting are Darkers. They are the enemies of the Arks. That’s all there is to it.”
“Rather than having it explained to you, it’s better that you got to see it for yourself.”

Echo: “Hey, Zeno! You think that’s a bit much? They’ve been through a lot.”

Zeno: “Why would I bother to put it nicely now that they’ve already seen it for themselves?”
“Knowing that in advance and being prepared will let you live longer in this line of work.”
“Hey, why so glum? YOu’re still alive, right? Mission complete, good work.”

Afin: “But... another examinee died right in front of our eyes...”

Zeno: “That comes with the territory for the Arks. We don’t have time to mourn everyone.”
“Hey... hold your head up. We have to persevere, for all those who fall in battle.”

Afin: “...Okay”

Zeno: “That’s good, Afin. If you can come to terms with this, you’re already well on your way.
“But hold onto those feeling, and don’t give up. As long as you keep going, things tend to work out.

Echo: “That’s cool and all, but he’s just showing off. Everything he told you, he learned from his teacher.”

Zeno: “Hey! Don’t blow my cover, Echo! I’m allowed to quote our teacher’s wisdom.”

Echo: “I wish you’d stop going off on these tangents. Don’t you ever think how annoying it is for me to have to listen to you?”

Zeno: “Hey! I don’t get on your case for being late all the time!”

Echo: “Don’t bring that up! Whatever, looks like we’re almost back to the Arks ship anyway.
“Wipe those grins off your faces, rookies! Let’s go.”

[End Chapter 0][/spoiler-box][/spoiler-box]
Xion
[spoiler-box][First Encounter] AP 238/2/20 14:00
[spoiler-box]Xion: “I was waiting for you.”
“No, that’s not quite it. Perhaps I was making you wait.”
“My name is Xion.”
“I know that it will require some time before you trust me.”
“And yet, I want to hear the conclusion I’ve arrived at after an eternity of thinking.”
“I can only observe. I will not attempt to interfere, as I cannot.”
“However, if nothing is done, then all will be lost.”
“That is why I have calculated the endless possibilities and catalogued them here.”
“The Matter Board categorizes chance encounters and makes them inevitable.”
“I can only observe; I cannot guide you. But, perhaps, this Matter Board can.”
“I pray the woeful path I have taken will help show you the way.”
“I know that I do not have your trust or confidence. That is only logical.”
“And yet, still I put my trust in you.”
“I am nowhere, and yet, everywhere. If you have any questions, I will listen.”

[Matter Board Retrieval! #1: The Day I was Waiting For (Forest)][/spoiler-box][/spoiler-box]

Summaries

Intro & Chapter 0
[spoiler-box]When players create a new character, they are greeted with an introduction cutscene giving them an overview of what the Arks are. It goes on to describe the basic abilities of each race before going to the character creator.

When preparing to depart for your training exercise in the Planet Naberius Forest area, you meat Afin, your partner. He talks to you a little about something that had occured 10 years before, and also mentions that he is searching for someone. Every time he attempts to ask why you joined, something major happens.

In the Forest area, things are going normal as players are taught the controls, in some form or another of a fourth-wall break. However, upon entering the second area, Dagan begin to spawn and marshall law is called. Fearful, Afin and the player run past the hoard, battling a few stragglers before happening upon the next area. There, another trainee gets killed by a Dagan, while Zeno comes to the rescue just before they attack the player and Afin.

He talks about how it was a good decision to leave Echo behind, and travels with the duo to the fourth area. There, he uses his Photon Blast to wipe out the hoard of Darkers. A few more must be eliminated in normal combat, but a portal to the Campship becomes available once this is completed.

The player hears a strange voice calling for help at this point, but it is not mentioned...

There, players get to meet Echo "in-person," and experience her rather... interesting relationship with Zeno; the two disagree and argue a lot, over some rather trivial things.[/spoiler-box]

Kion
Oct 4, 2013, 09:57 AM
Well there's this site i made (view with chrome) (http://maku-cam2.jiu.ac.jp/~collins/PSO2/) before the english patch for the story. I've been meaning to write summaries for each chapter. But I got pretty lazy pretty fast on that one.

[spoiler-box]
Chapter 0 AP 238.2.20
The player begins the game and is immediately introduced to their "partner", Afin. The player is a new recruit of the mercenary organization Arks, and is in the process of their finally test before being recognized as a full member.

Unfortunately midway though the test, there is a massive out break of Darkers on planet Naberius where the test was being held. The player and Afin manage to return to the Arks ship with the help of Zeno and Echo, two seasoned Arks members.

From there, the player proceeds to the shop area where they encounter a woman named Xion, who provides very little information on who she is or why she's approaching you, but asks you to trust her. She warns that a grave catastrophy is going to happen in the future and she needs your help to stop it. She gives you a quest item known as a matter board, which allows you character to see different events at certain times if you are in the right place.

Chapter 1 AP 238.2.20
[/spoiler-box]

And here's the over all timeline for the back story.
[spoiler-box]
????: Photon particles discovered. A method to use them as energy is found.
0: With photons used as energy, problems with space flight were solved. A new era in space begins!
20: Arks create a Mothership.
50: 24 more ships are added to the fleet, now named "Oracle".
200: Oracle travels to a lot of galaxies, studying about different life forms and energies.
500: A science vessel studying a black hole disappears. There was no distress signal, and no signs of attack.
600: On a new planet, a naturally aggressive life form is discovered. This life form later becomes known as "Darkers".
700: More information is discovered about Darkers - They consume both living and nonliving matter. More Darkers attack Oracle -
normal weapons have no effect, and many Arks die. A being known as "Dark Falz" is discovered to be behind the Darkers. Photon
weapons are found to be effective against Darkers, so lots of research is put into enhancing them. However, many more planets
are lost to the Darkers.
1000: Arks, which was once intended for science and discovery, changes its purpose to wiping out the Darkers.
Arks design a new calendar so they never forget the turning point in the war.

*All dates from here on out are using the AP calendar. So, for example, AP 40 would be the year 1040.

AP 0: A new timeline is forged - The Arks Military calendar
AP 40: Naberius is discovered
AP 90: Planets Lilipa and Amduscia are discovered
AP 140: The Dragonkin language is fully translated
AP 170: Something about battle with darkers <will be re-translated later, hopefully>
AP 190: Regias, Maria, Clarisa, and Casra become famous for battles on several planets
AP 198: Deciding battle with Dark Falz (The three heros seal Dark Falz Elder away)
AP 198: The council of six members is formed: 1) Regias 2) Maria 3) Casra 4) Atosa 5) Clarisa 6) Volf
AP 207: The first Clarisa Claes dies
AP 210: The second generation of arks manage to push back the Darkers for few years
AP 220: The first Casra dies
AP 225: The relationship with the Dragonkin suddenly gets worse
AP 226: Clarisa Claes' name is passed down
AP 227: Atosa and Volf die
AP 228: The second Clarisa Claes vanishes in a battle with Dark Falz Apprentice
AP 230: The Casra name gets passed down
AP 235: Huey becomes the 6th member of the council
AP 238: The current year that PSO2 takes place
[/spoiler-box]

Since the game is mostly translated, I wouldn't focus on trying to transcribe all of the text. There's around seven thousand lines of story or more. I would suggest sticking with summaries would give players who haven't gotten into the story a clear picture of what's going on.

Arkanoid
Oct 4, 2013, 11:45 AM
Oh Kion, I was wondering where all that stuff went, I think it used to be on your arks-layer site. I read through all that stuff after playing through all the story missions and matter board in Japanese. I still haven't tried the story patch so I actually don't know what's going on in the story beyond what you have posted there.

Ezodagrom
Oct 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
Gah...I was planning on doing a topic like this (including everything, story chapters, matterboard scenes, blue event tablets) while I check the story patch for mistakes, but unfortunately my internet connection has been awful this week (no connection at all during the day, occasional failures at night), so I haven't been able to start this... x-x;;;

Emp
Oct 4, 2013, 06:57 PM
Ok Afin is searching for someone. Was he searching for the chick in Episode 2 2-3, that sends ringa and soma after u? I remember afin getting quite emotional after the left path on 2-3.

PokeminMaster
Oct 4, 2013, 08:04 PM
Gah...I was planning on doing a topic like this (including everything, story chapters, matterboard scenes, blue event tablets) while I check the story patch for mistakes, but unfortunately my internet connection has been awful this week (no connection at all during the day, occasional failures at night), so I haven't been able to start this... x-x;;;

Actually, that gives me an idea, perhaps we can work on this together? Because as Kion has pointed out, there is a lot of dialogue to go through, although we would both still have to play through the Story mode... But perhaps there is still something we could work on...?

I MAY just end up going with Kion's suggestion of summarizing every Chapter, but I would not be able to do that very effectively without replaying some of the earlier ones...

Ok Afin is searching for someone. Was he searching for the chick in Episode 2 2-3, that sends ringa and soma after u? I remember afin getting quite emotional after the left path on 2-3.

I have not yet played the new Story Quest, I have only done through Sanctum/Dragon Altar, but from what I can tell:
We know that Afin is searching for his sister, who seems to be the current vessel for Dark Falz [Apprentice]...

Ezodagrom
Oct 4, 2013, 09:16 PM
Actually, that gives me an idea, perhaps we can work on this together? Because as Kion has pointed out, there is a lot of dialogue to go through, although we would both still have to play through the Story mode... But perhaps there is still something we could work on...?

I MAY just end up going with Kion's suggestion of summarizing every Chapter, but I would not be able to do that very effectively without replaying some of the earlier ones...
Hmm, I have an idea...

What I was going to do was having each matterboard in different posts, and those posts linked in the first post.
Since I'm not just cataloging which scenes happen during which matterboards, I'm also checking the story patch for mistakes, I was thinking that, since you probably could post the text from matterboards faster than me, you could continue posting more important scenes (story chapters, matterboard scenes, Xion/Matoi scenes), and when I make more complete posts with everything (story chapters, matterboard scenes, Xion/Matoi scenes, blue event tablets), you could add a link to my posts in the first post. ^^;

I guess doing summaries would be another option, and I could do posts with text from the patch, but...I'm going to be very slow at doing each MB. ^^;
My goal is to try to do one matterboard every 2 weeks, but my connection problems this week caused a delay to this. :|

PokeminMaster
Oct 4, 2013, 09:21 PM
Hmm, I have an idea...

What I was going to do was having each matterboard in different posts, and those posts linked in the first post.
Since I'm not just cataloging which scenes happen during which matterboards, I'm also checking the story patch for mistakes, I was thinking that, since you probably could post the text from matterboards faster than me, you could continue posting more important scenes (story chapters, matterboard scenes, Xion/Matoi scenes), and when I make more complete posts with everything (story chapters, matterboard scenes, Xion/Matoi scenes, blue event tablets), you could add a link to my posts in the first post. ^^;

I guess doing summaries would be another option, and I could do posts with text from the patch, but...I'm going to be very slow at doing each MB. ^^;

I've been using my new character for much of this, but with that method, I might just be able to go back to my old character and get all the Story Quests themselves... That wouldn't include the Matterboard scenes, but it would certainly help for running everything form Ruins onward, but I would have to go back to my new character for the Matter Board scenes...

And some of the dialogue might be altered, such as Fourier asking for the time... Hm... Maybe that isn't such a good idea, I'm not too sure, so I may just continue with my new character

Kion
Oct 4, 2013, 10:17 PM

I highly recommend just writing a summary of everything. I doubt anyone is going to read the entire game line by line. Not to mention that you start to run into problems where the post is too long to fit in the forum, or massive amounts of endless embedded spoiler-box tags which get in the way more than anything.

I think just having a simple summary of:

Chapter x:

Matter Board:

AP 238.2.20 Character is introduced to Ulc, a highly motivated NPC but doesn't have a lot of combat ability.

Story Chapter part 1: 238.2.18
The character goes back to Naberius on their training mission mission again, but this time go right, finding a mysterious girl in white laying on the ground.

Matter board:

AP 238.2.20 Character hears about a rumored dark figure roaming Naberius for unknown reasons.

Story Mission part 2: 238.2.18
Character returns to the training mission for yet a third time, this time going left, where the player is then introduced to a mysterious masked figure who attempts to kill the character, but is stopped by Gettemhalt, a combat loving Arks accompanied by his loli, Shina.

Or something along these lines in general where anyone whose interested in reading through the story can see the natural progression of the game, the key points of what happens and when in order. So a story a discussion thread kind of thing.