PDA

View Full Version : walking slowly

shaken963
Oct 8, 2013, 09:06 AM
I saw some one walking in lobby the other day. I tried myself but could only make my character run. How to make a character walk instead of running?

Digital Pain
Oct 8, 2013, 09:08 AM
I think the only way to walk is with a controller

Coatl
Oct 8, 2013, 09:11 AM
Can only do it with Controller.

ashley50
Oct 8, 2013, 09:22 AM
gamepad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamepad

Emp
Oct 8, 2013, 10:18 AM
Can only do it with Controller.

Controller/gamepad or vita.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Oct 8, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wtf u think u r???
walkin all slow n shyt

Zenobia
Oct 8, 2013, 10:40 AM
Controller/gamepad or vita.

Well we know he doesn't have a vita which is only in your special case ofc lol.

Zorafim
Oct 8, 2013, 12:16 PM
Forcing the playerbase to use an inferior gaming device just to increase their effectiveness at style. How terrible can you be, Sega?

Muirenn
Oct 8, 2013, 12:37 PM
Was it me? I bet it was me. I'm using a controller and I've made a ton of throwaway characters over the past few days to explore the different ships and blocks. I like to walk around a lot because no one else does it.

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:04 PM
Forcing the playerbase to use an inferior gaming device just to increase their effectiveness at style. How terrible can you be, Sega?

And so it begins, hoho~ *grabs popcorn*.

jooozek
Oct 8, 2013, 01:07 PM

this reminds me how over time the game has changed to get by without TPS mode, like, good positioning is now more important than aim

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:10 PM
Best way to play is with controller in one hand and mouse in the other, anyways. That way you got everything: confort, easy access to buttons, precise aiming, analog movement, etc.

Muirenn
Oct 8, 2013, 01:13 PM
Best way to play is with controller in one hand and mouse in the other, anyways. That way you got everything: confort, easy access to buttons, precise aiming, analog movement, etc.

My dream is to invent a perfect combination of keyboard, mouse and controller.

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:17 PM

Wait no more (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/splitfish360.jpg), pal.

I've been using this for a year already, and save the fact that you gotta use xpadder to bring its full potential in some games, this sort of controller is basically the best combination of both worlds. There are some different brands selling these, you can even make your own "homemade" version if you've got a Wii with a Nunchuk around and a good gaming mouse.

This is for me the best controller, and you can use it for any game, even for strategy games like Starcraft II (since you can map the functions to the "nunchuk" and use the mouse as you'd always use it). It's basically like playing with mouse and keyboard, but having the keyboard in a more handy shape to use.

Muirenn
Oct 8, 2013, 01:22 PM
Ooh, neat! Thanks! I'm gonna have to check these out.

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:25 PM
If you decide to get one, contact me if you want some help on setting it for PSO2. It's a bit tricky unless you don't care about analog movement, but with Xpadder or JoyToKey you can have it working flawlessly in no time.

Zorafim
Oct 8, 2013, 01:32 PM

You, sir, are a god.

Jim
Oct 8, 2013, 01:40 PM

Another good way is a keypad that has a console-esque thumbstick on it like the Razer Nostromo (http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo/) or Logitech G13 (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard). I have owned both, but prefer the latter. They're both exquisite either way.

I haven't tried that mouse+nunchuck combo, but I'd like to get my hands on one some day.

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:42 PM
That one seems interesting as well. Does the computer recognize that thing as a "gamepad" with analog sticks?

KazukiQZ
Oct 8, 2013, 01:43 PM
But how? :o
Lets say left hand handles the controller while right hand handles the mouse...Is this possible to become as good as keyboard+mouse?

Jim
Oct 8, 2013, 01:46 PM
That one seems interesting as well. Does the computer recognize that thing as a "gamepad" with analog sticks?

It's supposed to. The thumbstick on the G13 is definitely analog on the hardware side. (The Razer one has a digital "+ pad" with a snap-in thumbstick, so is definitely only capable of digital input.)

However, I honestly don't know how good the driver support is for things like that because I just have the stick putting out binary arrow key presses. I'm used to using a walk key now, so I haven't even tried to get analog movement in most games. haha

Lets say left hand handles the controller while right hand handles the mouse...Is this possible to become as good as keyboard+mouse?

In terms of dexterity, yes, that could work better actually. Stick is better than WASD for movement, just like mouse is better than stick for look. However, in terms of utility, it could be limiting since the left side of controllers don't have a lot of buttons on them. You could always get an MMO mouse like the G600 (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse) to compensate though. (I'm using it now!)

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:48 PM

Technically you're using a keyboard + mouse, only that your "keyboard" has the shape or half a controller (or a more ergonomic shape in case of that other one) and has less buttons than a normal keyboard. The lack of buttons isn't necesarily an inconvenience, for example the one I posted has over 20 programmable buttons, mast games don't require that many. Even PSO2 doesn't, unless you wanna have unnecesary functions like lobby actions on it.

The only case in which keyboard + mouse would be "better", I guess it would be in the case where it really has that many functions, like a strategy game with dozens of hotkeys or a very realistic simulator (like those for commercial airplanes, but in those cases I suppose you'd want a more specialized joystick), but if we're talking about a game with between 12~22 functions as most have, there shouldn't be any difference (other than habit, of course, if you've been playing with keyboard all your life you hardly need this thing, lol).

It's supposed to. The thumbstick on the G13 is definitely analog on the hardware side. (The Razer one has a digital "+ pad" with a snap-in thumbstick, so is definitely only capable of digital input.)

However, I honestly don't know how good the driver support is for things like that because I just have the stick putting out binary arrow key presses. I'm used to using a walk key now, so I haven't even tried to get analog movement in most games. haha

Oh, that's unfortunate. I really like analog movement and many games make good use of it. But I'm pretty sure a workaround must be for that, since that kind of controller is older than the one I posted (I didn't even think of it, but I've known those for a long time... They didn't look too appealing, anyways, lol).

In terms of dexterity, yes, that could work better actually. Stick is better than WASD for movement, just like mouse is better than stick for look. However, in terms of utility, it could be limiting since the left side of controllers don't have a lot of buttons on them. You could always get an MMO mouse like the G600 (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse) to compensate though. (I'm using it now!)

A mouse like that plus a left-hand controller like any of what we've showed here would indeed have much more buttons than what you'd need in most games. One thing that I've never found and that would probably be even better as a combination of a mouse/gamepad would be a mouse with a joystick for your thumb, but that'd might be asking for too much, lol.

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 01:59 PM
By the way, can you program macros and button combinations in that mouse? In my case I use Xpadder to create some macros (for example, switch subpalettes with a button press), but that works because the computer reads the mouse as a "controller" for Xpadder to work with it. I suppose that mouse is recognized as a normal mouse, so how do you program those buttons, and how much freedom do you have doing so?

Emp
Oct 8, 2013, 02:01 PM
Well we know he doesn't have a vita which is only in your special case ofc lol.

Ya but do not that I sometimes play pc. Just more accustomed to having a handheld in my hands from all those days of psp2.

KazukiQZ
Oct 8, 2013, 02:02 PM
@Darki
That's kinda sounds like me...Playing games with keyboard+mouse ever since I'm little :P
But for some games, I do use controller efficiently, such as fighting games :)

@Jim
....OMG...the beauty of that mouse...

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 02:08 PM
@Darki
That's kinda sounds like me...Playing games with keyboard+mouse ever since I'm little :P
But for some games, I do use controller efficiently, such as fighting games :)

With any of these controllers you'd simply trade number of keys for some controller functions, such as analog movement on many games.

Gama
Oct 8, 2013, 02:22 PM
controllers dont hurt my hands, also i can acess the entire pallete with it. so i dont care.

play whith what you like.

Jim
Oct 8, 2013, 03:17 PM
controllers dont hurt my hands, also i can acess the entire pallete with it. so i dont care.

play whith what you like.

This. I'm a strong mouse advocate, but I also play PSO2 with a gamepad because I started with PSO on the Gamecube.

Something I forgot to mention is that there are not nearly enough animations for walking. I think there are only like 2 movement animations, so unless you're "full-tilt" running, your character's feet don't track the ground properly and you'll "spacewalk". Also, if you have your weapon drawn, your character uses the full-tilt run animation no matter what. Even when you're moving at a tiptoe pace.

Just FYI for all of you guys thinking about buying a gamepad.

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 8, 2013, 07:39 PM
Actually it can theoretically be done with a keyboard, I just don't have a pressure sensitive keyboard to test with.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10371215-1.html

Darki
Oct 8, 2013, 07:48 PM
Not sure if that'd be better than a joystick, I think it'd be easier to tune the pressure given horizontally to a joystick than vertically to a key. Specially if you gotta work with more than one key.

Also, another problem that the keyboard has is the fact that has only eight directions if you use WASD keys. Unless you just run straight and use the camera to tune the direction, it makes the movement really cranky, and you can't do that all the time (for example when you're locking on).

riku2replica
Oct 8, 2013, 08:20 PM
On Keyboard there's only run. But on joystick/vita, u can walk.

Shadowth117
Oct 8, 2013, 08:24 PM
Not sure if that'd be better than a joystick, I think it'd be easier to tune the pressure given horizontally to a joystick than vertically to a key. Specially if you gotta work with more than one key.

Also, another problem that the keyboard has is the fact that has only eight directions if you use WASD keys. Unless you just run straight and use the camera to tune the direction, it makes the movement really cranky, and you can't do that all the time (for example when you're locking on).

Well technically, if you had a pressure sensitive keyboard that problem could be averted if you were actually good enough with it to know what you were doing. Problem would be more how awkward that would be to judge that. Seems like a cool idea, but like you said, it probably wouldn't actually end up being too much better for a lot of things.

SolRiver
Oct 8, 2013, 11:51 PM
My dream controller would allow me to use my feet and elbow as well to play a game...

Currently I already use keyboard, mouse and controller at the same time for pso2... I always wish that I got a controller on the ground as well as on my chair arm (along with the 3 devices I already use).

I already played some game where I put a controller on the ground and use my feet to trigger autofire/toggle kind of controls =p

Darki
Oct 9, 2013, 02:09 AM
I don't know about elbows, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to use wheel pedals that way. With Xpadder it should be possible and much more comfortable than using a hand controller with your feet (or maybe not, but in my case I have useless sausages for toes and probably wouldn't be able to use them too well).

That mentioned, too bad that I don't have a wheel. Maybe I should plan on getting one as well.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 9, 2013, 03:26 AM
Well technically, if you had a pressure sensitive keyboard that problem could be averted if you were actually good enough with it to know what you were doing.
I think trying to gauge pressure on a key vs. judging how far your control stick has moved is a lot harder. And way too much effort. Not to mention people who type hard vs. people who type soft. And other variables.

Shinureal
Oct 9, 2013, 09:39 AM
YO!
I don't play that much on computer (console dude), just some retro stuff and emulators. Actually PSO2 is the first game that forced me to use my computer to play. So I'm feeling more comfortable with a controller, I guess controllers suite Hunters play style, but for players who use lot of aiming, I guess mouse/keyboard are better....and didn't I mention that it can walk too (/•ิ_•ิ)/?

And for the one asking about something to control with feet, I suggest using a dance mat (I have one but never tried it on PSO2 before...) ლ(╹◡╹ლ) that way you'll have 4 directional arrows + 6 buttons on the ground :).