PDA

View Full Version : How does one react to the fact that your ancestor's crimes

ShinMaruku
Oct 11, 2013, 07:04 PM
If you are here because of the result of murderers and rapists?

Before you over react, put yourself in the shoes of somebody who is normal but is the result of people who could be considered monsters? Are they not as deserving respect as you?

Sinue_v2
Oct 12, 2013, 12:20 AM
If you are here because of the result of murderers and rapists?

Before you over react, put yourself in the shoes of somebody who is normal but is the result of people who could be considered monsters? Are they not as deserving respect as you?

Why should the son bear any of the guilt of the sins of the father? In the grand scheme, we are all children of born out of genocide and rape, if you go far enough back into human history. If any single link in that unbroken chain of descent stretching back clear into the paleolithic ages (and beyond, really, to the very beginning... but that's beyond the scope of the question) were broken... then you would never have existed. That chain remained unbroken because at some point, some of your ancestors took land and resources away - violently, from another people. Because they annihilated neighboring tribes and city-states. Because the empires which could sustain the farmers and scholars which produced the food and cures which saved your ancestors lives were built upon the bones of slaves, soldiers, and native peoples. Some genetic lines today exist only because the women of an annihilated people were taken as spoils and raped/forced into marriages with their conquerors.

If the sins do not pass from father to son, then we are all equal until judged by our own actions and attitudes. If the sins DO pass from father to son, then we are all equal in our guilt.

If the crime you're talking about is something recent enough to still have volatility in the culture you belong to (for example, the holocaust in Germany, or the repercussions of slavery & reconstruction in the US), then I guess you'd have to make the judgement call based on your own specific circumstances.

ShinMaruku
Oct 12, 2013, 01:17 AM
Oh I would never say blame the son for what the father has done, but rather that life and truth resists simplicity. People should be aware of the dark things people are capable of and should remember and avoid those mistakes.

I mean look at Tenmujin who as rumored to have killed 15 million people but for every 15 or so dead he left a child with one of the conquered women.(Which is supposedly the source for Conan's famous line about what is best in life)

I know looking at my family history back to the Norman Conquest and later Queen Anne's War to several political crack downs in Current and former crown lands, my family line is the direct result of some of these dark things, and while they are dark I have part of who I am in some way from them, but I feel I should reflect on those things and benefit from a slightly different perspective.

This was just something to spark some discussion on things of the like.

Galil AR
Oct 13, 2013, 07:17 AM
My Dad Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy was a Russian assault rifle who barely broke, even if you drowned him in mud, he'd still work. Honestly, despite being a communist, he was a legendary and nice Dad.

Buuuut my Grandpa, the StG 44 was a Nazi, so I guess that speaks for itself that he was evil by default. Poor Grandpa...