PDA

View Full Version : Seeking constructive criticism

Clione
Oct 16, 2013, 02:13 AM
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06nEbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkfcqf bd7bIn0000000lb000009bJdJ2fGFldcn000082ObxmxGGjGA0 0007b000000lb0000000Ib000008

I've yet to play the game, and don't know much about it. However, I thought it would be a good idea to get my build set up. I plan to mainly use Assault rifles, if that helps. There are just a lot of few questions I'd like to ask.

Based on what I've heard, ability stabilizes your minimum damage. I have 436 without a subclass, and see that adding a subclass takes it up to 506. Is this enough, or no? Perhaps it's overkill?

I've always been terrible with buff skills. When to apply them, when to renew them, forgetting to use them entirely, etcetera. Is this going to be a problem with my current build? I'll try to remember to use weak bullet to the best of my ability.

Speaking of subclasses, I'm not sure if I did very well with the Gunner's SP. If it can be allocated better, please let me know. I dunno if Dive roll advanced and just reversal will work if I upgrade them on my subclass, either, so clarification on that would be helpful.

Would another subclass be a better option?

What do Weak hit blast bonus and first hit do? The description on the chart just says WIP, and doesn't offer any information.

I hear Weak Bullet is really important. Are the weak hit advance skills both worth maxing in combination with weak bullet?

Are some of the points spent maxing standing snipe 1 better spent elsewhere?

Should I maybe take some points away from killing bonus?

Attack pp restraint looks important. Should I take points out of R-atk 3 and put points into that?

I really like the sound of Perfect keeper, since I heal myself a lot and like being at full hp. Is it not that good?

I feel like I may have gone overboard with the r attack. Did I?

Sorry if the build sucks. I tried. :'c

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 16, 2013, 02:17 AM
Gonna be slow to get to everything so, I'll start with this; do not put more points into flat stat bonus skills than necessary to move down a skill tree, ever. Do not make getting flat stat up skills a goal, ever. You don't need any more dexterity than what you're given from leveling/obligated to take through a skill tree. Very few if any weapons/units worth using require more dexterity than what you're given through leveling. Only one out of 2 classes from main/sub needs to have the step/diveroll skills. I do not reccomend maining RA over GU if you don't have one of the two good all class TMGs, unless you don't mind using the 10* from the story. http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?H10%E3%83%9F%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AAT

Everything else could be covered in a proper build explaination.

http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06kEbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkfdt0 IbIn0000000lb000008dBJdJ29KcAid0000lb2QHSinfdngBbs 0000ib000000lb0000000Ib000008

Fixed your mag. Your RA skill tree should look something like that. Only possible changes depend if you're maining ranger, or if you pick up just reversal as a gunner instead. That skill tree is made under the assumption you won't have the points to spare as GU to pick up just reversal, and if you're maining GU. As for the GU tree, I got started on it, but I have yet to touch gunner much myself. I can't talk too much on it.

MetalDude
Oct 16, 2013, 02:23 AM
Pick up a HU sub if you're going to main RA. RA has very few benefits from subbing GU (unlike the opposite) outside of Chain Trigger which is still really situational. If you're going to spend GU SP, put it towards for when you might want to try it out as a main (protips: ZRA, S Roll JA Bonus, and at least 1 point in Perfect Keeper are top priority). It could be argued that Just Reversal isn't even necessary on GU.

Weak Hit Blast Bonus provides more Photon Blast gauge when you hit enemy weak points, something you'll be doing almost all the time as a RA. However, I don't think RA really struggles with getting its PB so this skill is debatable.

Kietsu
Oct 16, 2013, 02:29 AM
First of all, I have absolutely no idea why you're subclassing Gunner.

Second of all, I think you've fallen into the very common newb-trap of 'Getting my R-ATK as high as possible is the way to go'.

The only reason you want base R-ATK (that is, from your level, skill tree, and MAG) is to equip better weapons. You could honestly drop 200 R-ATK from your build and still be able to equip the best Ranger weapons in the game right now - said weapons at +10 provide an R-ATK boost of around ONE THOUSAND, which makes filling a skill tree with +50 passives look kind of silly.

So what's the proper place to go if you want to optimize damage? % damage bonuses. If you've got points into the right % bonuses, you could end up doubling the damage output of that uber endgame weapon from the last paragraph, which would be vastly more damage than the flat bonuses could ever provide.

Outside of that: Don't waste points in taking Dodge Roll / Step Advance past prereqs. It's honestly not very worth it. Attack PP Restraint is in fact quite good though I don't know how well it fares on Ranger.

Honestly, you're better off subclassing Hunter and dumping all your points into the incredibly broken 'Fury Stance' tree. Despite being a melee class, Hunter's Fury Stance works almost as well with ranged attacks.

While DEX is a handy stat, it suffers from pretty extreme diminishing returns, and DEX requirements for gear are very, very forgiving compared to gear with other stat requirements. It's best to not focus on it, and maybe get some extra DEX from gear affixes, if you'd like.

First Hit Bonus gives a damage bonus when you hit an enemy that's at full health. It's 20% at max level, which honestly is pretty poor.

Weak Hit Blast Bonus increases your Photon Blast gain rate when you hit weak points. It's +70% at max level, and I'm a fan of it, myself - R-ATK mags tend to have powerful PBs even before you get to the point where you can pick any PB you want.

As for Weak Bullet: You'll know exactly when to use it, because 'when to use it' is any time it's off cooldown and you're fighting a boss. It makes your party's damage output completely catastrophic, to the point of being utter overkill on non-bosses - though instagibbing regular enemies can save a bit of time in Time Attacks.

Yutaka20
Oct 16, 2013, 02:35 AM
well if u are going rifle aka RA(ranger) buffing wont really be a issue.
the only time u actually do buff or wat we called reloading ammo (weak bullet or WB)
is when u are atking bosses
it practically boost the dmg done by u and everyone else to the spot u shot
by a lot.
u practically can do nothing and just do Wb casting to assist in clearing bosses (especially Dark falzeq)
and yes weak hitadvance is a must to max.
it's practically ur power booster for ur class.
weak bullet wise; u can consider a few option.depending on how many shots u wanna use,add accordingly.
use the skill simulator to check on that.
as for dive roll
just apply it to the class which u dont really need sp to invest on.
but bare in mind ,in near future u might end up using sub as ur main.if u find out that u like it better lol.
my advice is to leave that out first.
add the important skills,then consider if u even need it at all lol.

perfect keep is actually good.but if u are constantly healing urself ,then all i can say is.ignore it lol
the point of that skill is to maintance max hp and atking.if u find urself constantly healing .then u arent maintaining it.thus u arent fully utalizing it.
standing shot is good though.ur dmg is boost by quite a lot.all u needto do is practice on timing ur standing timing shooting PA while the time frame is up.

Yutaka20
Oct 16, 2013, 02:38 AM
sorry my bad i read wrongly

KazukiQZ
Oct 16, 2013, 04:11 AM
Ok...

1. If you like to use Rifle (and Launcher), try Ranger/Hunter:
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06dRbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkfcqf bd7bInqnGKsN6JiGA000007b000008dBJdJ29k2A000082Obxm xGGjGA00007b000000lb0000000Ib000008

2. Gunner/Ranger is for burst damage and boss killer:
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06kEbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkfcqf bd7bInqnGKsN6JiGA000007b000008dBJdJ29k2A00008dB2SH SfcIcqdngBbp0000ib000000lb0000000Ib000008

3. And Gunner/Hunter for consistent damage and Hunter's Just Attack+Stylish Roll JA user:
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06eebnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkfcqf bd7bInqnGKsN6JiGA000007b000008dBJdJ29k2A00008dB2SH SfcIcqdngBbp0000ib000000lb0000000Ib000008

As for mag, I recommend to put:
125 R-Atk/50 Dex
or 145 R-Atk/30 Dex

Ask away if you didnt understand something about these three tables ^^b
*Based on my experience of using all the three classes, and their main-sub combo.

Clione
Oct 16, 2013, 05:40 PM
Thank you all for your advice, and thank you Kazuki for the Ranger/Hunter build. I did notice that you left 5 points in each tree unassigned, So I have maybe two or three more questions.

If I ever get bored of Ranger, and decide to switch it up to Hunter, I'd like to use partisans. I have just enough to max out everything in the fury stance tree, but not enough for partisan gear, and that's not to mention step attack and just reversal. If I take a point out of anything to put it into partisan gear, what should it be?

An unrelated question, but are the photon arts that drop from specific bosses rare, or do they drop fairly often? Somewhere in between, perhaps?

Sacrificial
Oct 16, 2013, 05:51 PM
ranger/braver is also an option, it's way more situational though as ra/hu but you don't suffer from the fury stance debuff.

anyway doesn't this belong in the build section from the form?

KazukiQZ
Oct 16, 2013, 05:58 PM
^You can abandon Fury Critical and Fury Stance Up 2.
BTW, I did try Hunter as main-class, and here's my preferred build:
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06IebnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkbnIkfcqf bd7bkIqBGXcBdqInfcAfGA000007b000008dBJdJ29k2A00008 dB2SHSfcIcqdngBbp0000ib000000lb0000000Ib000008

I suggest to take Step Attack and Just Reversal from other class and use it as sub-class (Braver and Fighter have it, but I would recommend Fighter) since Hunter kinda need most of its Skill Point for maximizing damage.

My planned HuFi tree:
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06gFb3Ikb3Ikb3Ikb3Ikb3Ikb3Ikb3IkcPlE 7bkIqBGXcBdqInfcAfGAIb00000jebHoGBIbGKIblb0000ib00 0000lb000009b000000lb0000000Ib000008

Regarding PA, most are common drops, while some drop from rare version of mobs/bosses (correct me if I'm wrong). Check here for full list of PA:
http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/others_4.php#nav

@Sacrificial
If this thread does get moved there, it would be dead in a matter of second x(