PDA

View Full Version : Mags

Edson Drake
Oct 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
As much as I like this game, and I believe it's a big improvement over PSO(except for business model but I'll leave that out), there's a thing that annoys the hell of me: the Mag.

In PSO, the Mag would give you the stats bonus as usual but we would get up to 3 PBs. And the complex feeding system that could yield different evolutions and the best PB combinations possible.

Do you think Sega will change this in future updates? The Mag system feels like an afterthought to be honest. I would like more damage overall from the PB, more PBs with different effects and the possibility of having more than just one PB available.

I think the current system is easy to understand and hard to screw up, seeing as it was quite easy to screw up a Mag in PSO, Sega simplified it a bit too much, in my opinion.

I would like to see the Mag something more than just a filler slot for extra stats. I really want more power from it rather than just more skins each update to make it kawaii.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 22, 2013, 06:14 PM
Probably won't see major changes to mags for a very long time in PSO2 given how much their programmers try not to go back on old code, and the fact changes to the mag system outside of the ilos PBs and level cap increases haven't received any mention whatsoever as far as I know.

It can happen... probably around the time of episode 3...

Avereth CAST
Oct 22, 2013, 09:04 PM
I would consider it an improvement if they would only just stop creating new dolls, chibis, and kawaii animals to be mags. I don't want that crap on my mag.

I actually hope they stop upping the mag level cap. The more irrelevant a mag becomes the better. I already think the game would be better without them as it is because the game is already designed around requiring mag stats to equip any armor or weapons at all worth using.

Evangelion X.XX
Oct 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Knowing Japan--the culture of Kawaii, Loli's, Moe--it won't be anytime soon that they'll cease from making evolution devices that turn one's mag cute; which is fine since this is a Japanese MMO made to appeal to the Japanese people so I suppose this is the sort of thing they dig. As for all this Kawaii mag stuff.... I personally don't really care for it.... so yeah... whatever.

I actually have mixed feelings in regard to needing the required mag stats in order to equip certain weapons or armor. I certainly can understand how it can be annoying if you don't have the required stats, but then in a way it adds a certain level of strategy or complexity to the game.

What sort of bugs me about the whole Mag thing is that in order to maximize my character's potential, I need to build a specific mag for a specific class or play-style. So I guess this is another one of Sega's ploy at making us use real money to purchase additional mags? At the moment I have 4 mags: a braver mag, ranger mag, hunter/fighter mag, and tech mag. Of course, I understand that I'm not obligated to buy the 3 extra mags or anything but... oh well...

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 22, 2013, 09:46 PM
I would consider it an improvement if they would only just stop creating new dolls, chibis, and kawaii animals to be mags. I don't want that crap on my mag.

I actually hope they stop upping the mag level cap. The more irrelevant a mag becomes the better. I already think the game would be better without them as it is because the game is already designed around requiring mag stats to equip any armor or weapons at all worth using.

Gear worth using in this game doesn't even demand you to give up stats you'd rather have as your mainclass for something like... T DEF in order to use anymore with the exception of very few gunslashes.

Hell, they even went back and dropped the defense requirement on XQ units to 400, and I complained about them not doing that on episode 2 release a while ago for bravers, which I'd say was part of the reason they were kinda lame.

To me as FI/HU/BR, mags are just a 175 S atk stat stick that spams stat boost k. Didn't do it to equip anything specifically. I did that for the free damage knowing I didn't need any other stats on the mag to equip anything worth using.

MoronSonOfBoron
Oct 22, 2013, 09:47 PM

Pretty much this. There's absolutely no wiggle room on MAG builds.

Edson Drake
Oct 23, 2013, 07:08 AM

Kind of agree.

The reasoning is right though, I would like them to be less relevant to stats increase, they should matter in a more significant way, not just being a filler stats slot. They should attack and hit hard, they should be that extra boom to your character. Photon Blasts should be devastating and the chains should nearly bring a boss to their knees.

I don't actually mind the kawaii stuff if only it wasn't the focus behind them. I like to be able to change the mag appearance and customise its abilities, but it seems that mag skins are the only thing Sega cares about right now.
But I assure you: make the Mag powerful and you will see even more people buying mag crap with AC, so it's a win-win in my opinion.

For those who didn't play PSO before it was like this: your character does about 200 damage per hit on a boss. You cast Pilla PB(a Dark Force-looking thingy), he hits at about 10000. Much more powerful than your character DPS for example.

Kietsu
Oct 23, 2013, 12:17 PM
Kind of agree.

The reasoning is right though, I would like them to be less relevant to stats increase, they should matter in a more significant way, not just being a filler stats slot. They should attack and hit hard, they should be that extra boom to your character. Photon Blasts should be devastating and the chains should nearly bring a boss to their knees.

I don't actually mind the kawaii stuff if only it wasn't the focus behind them. I like to be able to change the mag appearance and customise its abilities, but it seems that mag skins are the only thing Sega cares about right now.
But I assure you: make the Mag powerful and you will see even more people buying mag crap with AC, so it's a win-win in my opinion.

For those who didn't play PSO before it was like this: your character does about 200 damage per hit on a boss. You cast Pilla PB(a Dark Force-looking thingy), he hits at about 10000. Much more powerful than your character DPS for example.

To be fair,Pilla was kind of the best damage PB, period. (except maybe the magical space dolphin against De Rol Le)

Hell, Dark Falz even used it.

gigawuts
Oct 23, 2013, 12:32 PM
To be fair,Pilla was kind of the best damage PB, period. (except maybe the magical space dolphin against De Rol Le)

Hell, Dark Falz even used it.

Every mag should have had:
Estlla for a large lineup of targets
Pilla for single or clustered targets
Mylla & Youlla for when you can almost handle yourself, or are so out of your depths that a PB won't help and your own S&D aren't enough

UnLucky
Oct 23, 2013, 02:38 PM
Only PB worth using in PSO2 is Ketos Proi for the PP regen since player damage is way higher than any mag

All other PBs' only purpose is to chain with a real one.

Mag stats are just another form of player progression that doesn't switch with your class. It's supposed to offer customization, but only one stat really matters.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Oct 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Only PB worth using in PSO2 is Ketos Proi for the PP regen since player damage is way higher than any mag

I still think ilos proi is quite nice damage for a PB's lifespan, especially when quad chained for extra damage, and 26 seconds of beatdown on bosses... I also find myself using charge attacks alot, so it kinda cuts into ketos proi a little.

Pugas87
Oct 23, 2013, 03:57 PM
Personally I like the mag evolves. Even in PSO (before I discovered mag feed strategies) I was more excited about getting a new mag variant than the skills or photon blasts they provided. I especially like how if you do want to do a pure skill mag you aren't stuck with a mag that you think looks stupid.

Shad0owdruid
Nov 30, 2013, 02:50 AM
i just hate how much messing up ur stat on ur mag and resseting his stat make u lose ur mag skin...i mean i have sato mag wich is really rare since there is no more on player shop...but stat on it are messy and i dont want to reset and lose it... i wish they would implement some reduce x-stat by a certain number ...anyway..

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 30, 2013, 02:19 PM
i just hate how much messing up ur stat on ur mag and resseting his stat make u lose ur mag skin...i mean i have sato mag wich is really rare since there is no more on player shop...but stat on it are messy and i dont want to reset and lose it... i wish they would implement some reduce x-stat by a certain number ...anyway..

This is why I recommend no one use expensive/rare mage evo devices, and to a lesser extent, the support trigger extension devices, until they are satisfied with their mag at 175 if they're afraid of messing up.