PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate having to break all the boss parts?

Resta
Nov 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
Seems like every boss has 1000 parts you need to break

Why can't we just kill them?

Shinamori
Nov 20, 2013, 09:33 AM
I don't mind at all.

gigawuts
Nov 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
You don't have to. They don't boost the boss's core drops, which are usually the ones you want.

Swordslinger
Nov 20, 2013, 09:55 AM
All breaking parts really does is make it easier to fight them. If you can you can totally overwhelm them with damage. I've had times when people just kill Vadha Soma without even touching his main cannon and maybe busting off two of his booster jets.

Sacrificial
Nov 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
No, I like them to cry out in pain before you kill them

Coatl
Nov 20, 2013, 10:06 AM
It depends on the boss really. You are potentially missing out on *10 weapons if you don't fully break Vardher and Hunar for example. Besides those two, unless a boss is rare and can drop RARE *10 units I do not bother breaking him.

Edson Drake
Nov 20, 2013, 10:13 AM
I like breaking the parts. I only ignore them if the boss has a darker parasite, which in that case, I lock on the parasite and kill it faster.

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 12:34 PM
Depends on the boss really. If they have an easy to break part or two that will make fighting them easier I'll usually break it quick.

Dnd
Nov 20, 2013, 01:17 PM
If by 'every boss having a thousand' you actually mean '2-4 on almost every boss apart from vardha and elder' then I don't see it as a issue - you don't need to break them for any real gain (well, soma parts for 10*s, hunars sword for elder pain, thats pretty much it that comes to mind)

red1228
Nov 20, 2013, 03:16 PM
As previously mentioned, its only a few parts on most bosses & you don't HAVE to break them everytime. I personally always go for Fang Cat's claws (regardless of rank / difficulty) because I don't want there to be ANY possibility of them jumping across the map six times in a row (I'm aware they can still jump, but they trip & slide long enough for you to catch up to them).

Also, you have soft-lock (auto-aim, whatever you wanna call it), Hard Lock & certain PAs have homing capabilities (Twin Daggers laughs at enemies trying to back out of melee reach) in this game. Go play any of the Monster Hunter games (excluding the most recent 3Ultimate); Where the weapons are slower / have longer "cooldown-ending-animations", monsters just as fast & there's NO LOCK ON of any sort... Then you can complain.

Shinamori
Nov 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
If by 'every boss having a thousand' you actually mean '2-4 on almost every boss apart from vardha and elder' then I don't see it as a issue - you don't need to break them for any real gain (well, soma parts for 10*s, hunars sword for elder pain, thats pretty much it that comes to mind)

Is that even proven? The hunar's sword deal.

GALEFORCE
Nov 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
The only way to disprove it is if you find an elder pain without breaking the sword.

hahahahha

strikerhunter
Nov 20, 2013, 03:41 PM
Also, you have soft-lock (auto-aim, whatever you wanna call it), Hard Lock & certain PAs have homing capabilities (Twin Daggers laughs at enemies trying to back out of melee reach) in this game. Go play any of the Monster Hunter games (excluding the most recent 3Ultimate); Where the weapons are slower / have longer "cooldown-ending-animations", monsters just as fast & there's NO LOCK ON of any sort... Then you can complain.

Not to be off-topic but monster hunter is kinda of a bad example here, since breaking parts makes the fight go faster, sometimes crippling the boss, and giving drops that are not obtained threw looting the body whereas in PSO2 breaking parts means nearly nothing. Do you have to break parts in either game? No, but in PSO2 breaking parts is near pointless whereas in MH it has more meaning into it.
Did you even played Monster hunter enough? You make it sound like MH is just as bad as PSO2. I'd play the MH series long enough along with PSO2 to tell that even the older MH games are better than PSO2 in terms of player vs bosses.

But however, you are right on the dot bout the lock-on stuffs.

To the OP, no you don't have to break parts unless you want units and $$$$$$ and PAs from rares.

gigawuts
Nov 20, 2013, 03:47 PM
As previously mentioned, its only a few parts on most bosses & you don't HAVE to break them everytime. I personally always go for Fang Cat's claws (regardless of rank / difficulty) because I don't want there to be ANY possibility of them jumping across the map six times in a row (I'm aware they can still jump, but they trip & slide long enough for you to catch up to them).

Complain? About Monster Hunter's breakable parts? With its superior control, parts that matter when you break them, and parts that are easier to reach with far less infuriating hitboxes?

No, having played both games fairly extensively I'd say this game's breakable parts are much more bullshit.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Nov 20, 2013, 04:47 PM
Mhmm, I hate it so much that I practically never do it if it doesn't speed up my kill.

LunSei
Nov 20, 2013, 04:58 PM
What? It's one of the things I like about PSO2's combat system.

If you'd rather fights be so simple you could have a program do them for you, go play a normal mmorpg. One of those games were you just keep pressing a button till the enemy is dead.

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 05:18 PM
One of those games were you just keep pressing a button till the enemy is dead.

Gunner.

SakoHaruo
Nov 20, 2013, 05:22 PM
Gunner.

Force o3o

strikerhunter
Nov 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
What? It's one of the things I like about PSO2's combat system.
I would rather much prefer Monster Hunter's combat system but Sega..............

If you'd rather fights be so simple you could have a program do them for you, go play a normal mmorpg. One of those games were you just keep pressing a button till the enemy is dead.

Force o3o

Gunner.

Hunter, Fighter, Techer (lol), Braver, Ranger (OwO)/

gigawuts
Nov 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
every class turns this into a point and click adventure game i dunno what all you all are going on about

MetalDude
Nov 20, 2013, 06:47 PM
I always destroy Dragon Ex's right arm plate to slow down his otherwise extremely stupid swing attack with it. It's like the designers were trying to respond to how players were too invincible and decided to give the guy 2 or 3 moves with gigantic hitboxes and low startup and stupid amounts of damage. Fucking dumb boss until you destroy that arm then it's hopelessly simple at that point.

KuroKanden
Nov 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
Yup, reminds me of those douchebags in random MPAs who completely slaughter Hunar in mere seconds without breaking his sword...

Dnd
Nov 20, 2013, 08:56 PM
Yup, reminds me of those douchebags in random MPAs who completely slaughter Hunar in mere seconds without breaking his sword...

^ the thing that really annoys me is people nuking the rare (boosted) somas in ToT2 without breaking the core, even without a booster its a very high chance of a vardha bit dropping among the other trash 10*'s he drops ._.

~Aya~
Nov 20, 2013, 09:26 PM
Lol speaking of vardha bits.. I got two in one run.... 200 Quartz with buncha Cryss inbetween and have yet to see anything aside from onr Cryss unit. Yay!!

Emp
Nov 20, 2013, 09:36 PM
^ the thing that really annoys me is people nuking the rare (boosted) somas in ToT2 without breaking the core, even without a booster its a very high chance of a vardha bit dropping among the other trash 10*'s he drops ._.

This. Annoying that they cant remember to target that laser cannon of his. :|

TaigaUC
Nov 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
I kinda miss breaking off boss parts like in Vindictus, to obtain crafting materials used in making boss-themed equipment.
My favorite was spearing the giant polar bear's eye. Fun stuff. 100% drop on success.
It got really stupid later on. Super rare spawns that very rarely drop materials that you need a truckload of. Screw that shit.

PSO2 has a lot of items that are copy pasted from or based on enemies, but they're all rare drops and not crafted.
Seems like a waste of potential to me. Doesn't make sense, either.
Hey, kill a wolf and a gun with its head on it comes out!
Kind of disturbing.

HeyItsTHK
Nov 20, 2013, 10:48 PM

Meduna has like 9 or 10 breakable parts, but it's usually dead before that point.

strikerhunter
Nov 21, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hey, kill a wolf and a gun with its head on it comes out!
Kind of disturbing.

I find it more disturbing that a Bigfoot drops a near modern day SMG.

ShinMaruku
Nov 21, 2013, 12:10 AM
When I fight Range I just namegid the core and say fuck the legs. :P

ReaperTheAbsol
Nov 21, 2013, 01:47 AM
Oh boy. I sure do hate breaking parts that often stagger, immobilize, or make bosses pathetic. It's soooooo pointless. :wacko:

Inazuma
Nov 21, 2013, 01:51 AM
Oh boy. I sure do hate breaking parts that often stagger, immobilize, or make bosses pathetic. It's soooooo pointless. :wacko:

Bosses can't do much when they are dead. Why make them stagger when you could just fucking kill them outright instead?

ReaperTheAbsol
Nov 21, 2013, 01:54 AM
Bosses can't do much when they are dead. Why make them stagger when you could just fucking kill them outright instead?

Well of course they won't because they're dead, but not everyone is capable of nuking bosses right off the bat. Why not make the fight easier on yourself if you know for a fact that you cannot just fuck shit up?

red1228
Nov 21, 2013, 06:54 AM
Whether the overall effectiveness of breaking enemy boss parts in either game was necessary was NOT AT ALL my point.

OP was complaining that breaking parts in PSO2 being a great inconvenience. MY POINT was that, despite MH's overall more intricate (& for me, personally satisfying) combat system, you can break parts easier in PSO2.

In PSO2; you have ranged weapons that fire gravity defying projectiles that will always hit the area you shot them at (monsters moving out of the way, notwithstanding).In MH, both BowGun shots & Arrows will noticeably trail off / fall to the ground after a certain distance.*
Then you have certain melee / tech PAs that have homing / tracking BUILT INTO THEIR ANIMATION. Plus the previously mentioned soft-lock & Hard-Lock mechanic that the Phantasy Star series has had since atleast Phantasy Star Universe (I did not have the pleasure of playing Phantasy Star Online1 / Blue Burst).

In MH, your GreatSword doesn't grow 10 extra feet of energy or let you dash across 5 yards in 2 seconds. Your Twin Daggers don't allow you to FLY at the enemy faster then running & have near perfect homing / tracking, should the enemy decide to move. Your Lance (in MH) doesn't allow you to emit sonic waves or toss energy spikes from fucking nowhere, with perfect accuracy (even on a moving target).

While it may be more satisfying to to see Alatreon's horns break from your Super Pound (Hammer) or slice off Rathalos's tail (aswell as knocking him out of the fucking air) with a Lv3 Charged GreatSword Slash... It is much easier to do similar feats in PSO2 when everyone can COMPLETELY ignore physics.**

"Did you even play Monster Hunter?".
Who do you think you are, Lord_Grafh or something? I started Monster Hunter on the PS2 near the end of 2004 (only found out about PSU, because the servers for MH1 were shutdown at the end of 2007 & MH2 was japan-only). Owned & played several hundreds of hours for Freedom2, Unite & 3Tri. When Portable 3rd was all-but-confirmed to be japan only, I stopped waiting (similar situation to me playing PSO2, actually) & got a copy from PlayAsia.

Some of you need to stop jumping to conclusions like a GenDrome, followed by raging like a G Ranked Tigrex so we all don't turn this (PSO2 topic) into a stupid pissing contest about who played more Monster Hunter?

------------------------
*Some of you Ranger / Gunner players would argue that Rifle / Twin MachineGun accuracy is noticeably compromised while moving. Guess what? MH's bowgun & longbow can't shoot while moving... AT ALL (bow can charge its shot & move, but still has to stop to fire). Standing still restores accuracy in PSO2 (there's even a skill perk for Rifles to do so!).

**Yes, both Phantasy Star Online 2 & Monster Hunter are video games. But Monster Hunter's weapons are swung / fired with much more realistic weight to them. GreatSwords & SwitchAxes will actually drag the player a bit, with each swing... not unlike a real 4~6 ft. weapon that probably weighs well over 50+ lbs would do in real life. In PSO2, you can ride swords like a god damn Surf Board & Daggers can fly needing only Japan's imagination to propel them.
-------------------------
TL;DR
Original Question: Does anyone else hate having to break all the boss parts?

Personal Answer: No. This game's combat mechanics & special / unique attacks allow for much easier monster-part-breaking then other games.

gigawuts
Nov 21, 2013, 10:33 AM
Whether the overall effectiveness of breaking enemy boss parts in either game was necessary was NOT AT ALL my point.

OP was complaining that breaking parts in PSO2 being a great inconvenience. MY POINT was that, despite MH's overall more intricate (& for me, personally satisfying) combat system, you can break parts easier in PSO2.

In PSO2; you have ranged weapons that fire gravity defying projectiles that will always hit the area you shot them at (monsters moving out of the way, notwithstanding).In MH, both BowGun shots & Arrows will noticeably trail off / fall to the ground after a certain distance.*
Then you have certain melee / tech PAs that have homing / tracking BUILT INTO THEIR ANIMATION. Plus the previously mentioned soft-lock & Hard-Lock mechanic that the Phantasy Star series has had since atleast Phantasy Star Universe (I did not have the pleasure of playing Phantasy Star Online1 / Blue Burst).

In MH, your GreatSword doesn't grow 10 extra feet of energy or let you dash across 5 yards in 2 seconds. Your Twin Daggers don't allow you to FLY at the enemy faster then running & have near perfect homing / tracking, should the enemy decide to move. Your Lance (in MH) doesn't allow you to emit sonic waves or toss energy spikes from fucking nowhere, with perfect accuracy (even on a moving target).
This game is "balanced" around those moves. Enemies move more often, have less downtime between moves, and go greater distances. They attack more frequently and are disabled less by broken parts.

In MH the game is "balanced" around the moves you have on those weapons. An enemy will stay roughly comparably immobile, you can use flash bombs or sonic bombs to stun them at certain points in the fight, and they have intentionally placed downtimes after many attacks.

While I get what you're trying to say, this is apples and oranges. In one you dance around a boss on its terms to try to break parts the whole time, in the other you dance around a boss on its terms taking potshots until a part is vulnerable.

MH3's challenge is in strategy, not tactics. Planning your gear around what you're going to fight is a very large part of the fight. Bringing the right skills for a given boss, like HG earplugs, could mean success or failure depending on how screech happy the boss is (I once had a gigginox that screeched 3 times, jumped, screeched 3 times, jumped, screeched, jumped, screeched 2 times, jumped, screeched 3 times, jumped, and then finally attacked).

Most of my time is in MH3U, but I did play MHTri a bit. Was the Kelbi Bow in MHP3? If so this nullifies everything you're trying to say, that thing is so imba that I refuse to even make one.

Now, this isn't to say that either game is hard. I spent all of my time in MH3U playing solo, all the way into G-Rank. That got pretty rough, sure. Would I describe most of it as hard? Not overly, just tedious. Why is a fight hard just because I haven't been lucky enough to find the last Lagia Sapphire I need to make a chest piece I need to fill up the skills that would make a fight easier? I don't qualify the RNG as difficulty. I don't qualify rock paper scissors as difficulty. A G-Rank Black Diablos and Sand Barioth while solo, yes, that's fairly challenging, but mostly because they double stumble you since they seem to want to hump eachother so goddamn much no matter how much you poop on them.

For the most part, I find PSO2 less tedious; but that's all I really find it: Tedious. Just like most of MH that I've played. Jump through this hoop or fail, jump through that hoop or fail, oh that hoop that wasn't even on your screen nicked your toe, and then the hoop that was on your screen nicked your other toe while you flinched. You died! Now start it all over.

[SPOILER-BOX]While it may be more satisfying to to see Alatreon's horns break from your Super Pound (Hammer) or slice off Rathalos's tail (aswell as knocking him out of the fucking air) with a Lv3 Charged GreatSword Slash... It is much easier to do similar feats in PSO2 when everyone can COMPLETELY ignore physics.**

"Did you even play Monster Hunter?".
Who do you think you are, Lord_Grafh or something? I started Monster Hunter on the PS2 near the end of 2004 (only found out about PSU, because the servers for MH1 were shutdown at the end of 2007 & MH2 was japan-only). Owned & played several hundreds of hours for Freedom2, Unite & 3Tri. When Portable 3rd was all-but-confirmed to be japan only, I stopped waiting (similar situation to me playing PSO2, actually) & got a copy from PlayAsia.

Some of you need to stop jumping to conclusions like a GenDrome, followed by raging like a G Ranked Tigrex so we all don't turn this (PSO2 topic) into a stupid pissing contest about who played more Monster Hunter?

------------------------
*Some of you Ranger / Gunner players would argue that Rifle / Twin MachineGun accuracy is noticeably compromised while moving. Guess what? MH's bowgun & longbow can't shoot while moving... AT ALL (bow can charge its shot & move, but still has to stop to fire). Standing still restores accuracy in PSO2 (there's even a skill perk for Rifles to do so!).

**Yes, both Phantasy Star Online 2 & Monster Hunter are video games. But Monster Hunter's weapons are swung / fired with much more realistic weight to them. GreatSwords & SwitchAxes will actually drag the player a bit, with each swing... not unlike a real 4~6 ft. weapon that probably weighs well over 50+ lbs would do in real life. In PSO2, you can ride swords like a god damn Surf Board & Daggers can fly needing only Japan's imagination to propel them.
-------------------------
TL;DR
Original Question: Does anyone else hate having to break all the boss parts?

Personal Answer: No. This game's combat mechanics & special / unique attacks allow for much easier monster-part-breaking then other games.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Right. What you should really be trying to do is compare PSO2 to Dark Souls. There's a game that will fuck you if you mess up. Let's get THAT thread going; I want to read people peening all about that.

TaigaUC
Nov 21, 2013, 12:50 PM
I find it more disturbing that a Bigfoot drops a near modern day SMG.

The future sure has bizarre organic mutations.

Daiyousei
Nov 21, 2013, 01:59 PM
speaking of PSO2 physics, I was reading some weapon descriptions and especially for Aristin.

"A greatsword forged with a highly magnetic alloy. Because of its red magnetic edge, it has an antigravitational effect, which makes it feel very light while maintaining its strength."

And we could easily jump 2-3 times our height so gravity might be a bit weak as well.

oratank
Nov 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
some of them 10s only drop by destroy their part so i don't hate it :D
http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2012/12/121215a.html

Alenoir
Nov 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
How my group does things: Rare boss? Kill the adds, break all parts. Normal boss? Break off whatever make them a big threat to melees and kill it off afterward.

Krimson
Nov 23, 2013, 03:57 AM
That's an exaggeration! If not I want you to show me the boss that has a thousand parts to break!! Otherwise true [at/above lv] Falz arm breaking suuuure is annoying especially when he becomes shock resistant with two arms left!!!! D:<