PDA

View Full Version : is PSO2 too easy?

spinner198
Nov 20, 2013, 09:45 PM
I read a couple reviews on the game that were made late 2012. In the reviews they said things like the game was much easier than its predecessor PSO, that weapon upgrades are almost pointless because of how easy it is to deal large amounts of damage. It also said that hunters/fighters were underpowered while forces/techers get faceroll towards the end, dealing massive damage at a range with little more threat of death than hunters who attack in melee.

I just started playing PSO2 and I am a lvl 14 force, and I see where the review has a point. Unlike in PSO I can go through an entire area by spamming one or two different techniques without even coming close to danger. Enemy attacks are predictable and easily avoid with the dodge ability, and enemies are easily outrun.

Is the game too easy, does the difficulty go up a few notches as you get higher in level and face higher level monsters?

These are the two player reviews I read, the ones at the top by jbmonture and knightmaresin: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/606336-phantasy-star-online-2/reviews

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
Allow me to point out that you are on normal mode as one of the easiest classes to play in the game.

Also obligatory "lolgamefaqs" sentence.

pkemr4
Nov 20, 2013, 10:18 PM
lolgamefaq

NoiseHERO
Nov 20, 2013, 10:20 PM
Too lazy to read, but actual thread title sounds like an interesting topic so I'll just comment on that.

It's alright depending what class you play and what level you are on what difficulty...

It's just hard enough to have a learning curve.

But if you're playing an easy or over-powered class, and you're decently leveled with average gear, and you've been playing for a while. It's easy to find this game easy.

But it's definitely more fun when this game feels hard, and that's definitely rare.

spinner198
Nov 20, 2013, 10:24 PM
I know, that's why I'm asking. I read a reveiw and my experience so far has fallen in line with it. What is the difficulty jump from normal to the next difficulty level?

Also, is there a way to just play higher levels of content with a lower level for artificial difficulty?

What's end game like? Once you hit it does it just keep getting easier and easier as you level up more and gain better weapons?

I understand force being the easiest class, but I enjoy its playstyle the most. Any word on a balance patch coming out ever?

Merix
Nov 20, 2013, 10:24 PM
As a gunner with a max lvl infinite fire and a decent 10*, I'd say yes in most situations. However, I'm sure It's a different end user experience for everyone depending on their classes and levels. During the recent Falz Hunar event, i was surprised how easily we beat him on SH, as compared to when i last fought him as a GuRa around level 30.

Cyron Tanryoku
Nov 20, 2013, 10:27 PM
Game is easy

If you keep up

Chik'Tikka
Nov 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
hunting and grinding is very hard, so is getting the equipment and outfits you want, but the game itself is laughably easy+^_^+ it's gets better after you get to VH and SH, those will actually provide a challenge for a bit, but once you start getting equal to and past enemy levels it just gets easy again+^_^+ it's an Asian MMO, so to get what you want, expect to invest some extra number of hours grinding for what you want+^_^+

spinner198
Nov 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
I know grinding is a huge part of the game, like in PSO, but that isn't as difficult as it is tedious. Does sega update the game with more difficult content often? It's not as easy to find info on the game since it is mainly japanese. Does it look like it has a bright future in terms of end game content and difficulty and what not? Or just a grind fest against enemies you can kill in one hit?

What I want isn't really gear as much as it is challenge and enjoyment out of the content.

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 10:44 PM
This isn't really the game to play if you want a legit challenge.

spinner198
Nov 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
Not necessarily hardcore challenging, just not faceroll with everything dying in one or two hits and easily avoidable enemy attacks. I guess it's more of a perspective thing, but is there any content that matches max level in difficulty?

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 10:50 PM
How fast things die depends on your gear and the enemy. Some enemies are designed to be more tanky (usually the bigger ones), with a lot of the smaller ones being vendor trash die really fast mobs. As for how avoidable the attacks are, you're playing Force. Dodging with Force is laughably easy. That said it isn't really until Super Hard that the AI gets somewhat decent.

Zenobia
Nov 20, 2013, 10:52 PM
Play melee.

spinner198
Nov 20, 2013, 10:52 PM
So if I stay 'behind' the game in terms of playing levels of a difficulty recommended for higher level players, would that work? Or would I be leveling up faster than I would be unlocking additional levels/content?

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 10:59 PM
You can't play on difficulties above your level. Hard is unlocked at 20, Very Hard at 40 and Super Hard at 50. Also VH advance quests start at 45 and Xtreme Quests at 50. Advanced quests are free fields with higher leveled enemies then normal very hard and xtreme quests are just groups of arena's where you progress and each arena has a bonus objective to do while killing everything like say not getting hit for example.

spinner198
Nov 20, 2013, 11:01 PM
But areas have higher difficulties don't they? Like forest and cave? Do they actually have level requirements or just require quest completions? I haven't noticed yet.

The Walrus
Nov 20, 2013, 11:03 PM
There are normal - sh versions of each area. They're supposed to get harder as you go through each place in a difficulty in order but they're all pretty easy.

EDIT: As for level requirements no just the difficulty itself. You unlock areas via Koffie quests though.

Zorafim
Nov 20, 2013, 11:25 PM
The game's tough, if you solo everything when you're ten levels underleveled and undergeared.

That accounts for most of my playtime right there.

Nayla~
Nov 20, 2013, 11:57 PM
I think player level vs enemy level makes a difference. I have a lot of chars, so most of the time I'm underleveled for the area I'm in (albeit decently geared). I find that the game is most fun when I'm about 10 lvs below the enemies.

strikerhunter
Nov 20, 2013, 11:58 PM
Did not read the posted posts because:
1. LOL gamefaq.
2. really? another PSO2 is easy thread? There was a dumb argument thread bout it during the summer.

If the game is too easy then go find another game that suites you. Idc bout if a game is easy or not, if you are having fun then that's what counts but everyone's definition of fun is different. I'll say that PSO2 is easy to learn but above average to put that learning into action.

SakoHaruo
Nov 21, 2013, 12:03 AM
PSO2 is easy? Ha.. try beating JP fastest solo TAs

that shit requires practice

MiraculousNova
Nov 21, 2013, 12:38 AM
Play melee.

This.
This so much.

Inazuma
Nov 21, 2013, 12:38 AM

I was going to say that PSO 2 is so easy it's beyond ridiculous but since I do not have the world record for solo TAs, I guess I can't say that. Despite being able to quickly destroy rooms filled with enemies in one or two hits and rarely getting hit myself, I am not the world's best player at Time Attacks therefore the game is challenging. >_>

Zenobia
Nov 21, 2013, 12:42 AM

Time Attacks have nothing to do with actual difficulty that's just a challenge you set for yourself and I don't think using your personal views is a fair comparison at all.

If time attack actually rewarded you for something at the end then yeah rank doesn't even matter because you will clear it regardless cause les be honest we all do it for the money.

spinner198
Nov 21, 2013, 01:03 AM
Did not read the posted posts because:
1. LOL gamefaq.
2. really? another PSO2 is easy thread? There was a dumb argument thread bout it during the summer.

If the game is too easy then go find another game that suites you. Idc bout if a game is easy or not, if you are having fun then that's what counts but everyone's definition of fun is different. I'll say that PSO2 is easy to learn but above average to put that learning into action.

I didn't post to say it was easy. I was posting to ask about the difficulty level, and yes I guess if I do missions and areas severely underleveled and undergeared it would pose a challenge, but it's sort of disappointing that that is the only way to experience a challenge set by the game, and not just a time attack where you are racing to see how fast you can facestomp mobs compared to others, if I catch the drift of the other posters that is.

If end game is too easy and I don't like it it's ok because it's F2P and I can always come back when new content is out. I have plenty of other games I can play but PSO was probably my favorite game of all time and the difficulty curve in that game (albeit partially due to less friendly controls, more limited attacks and the such) was fairly high. To the point where I had to grind levels and couldn't just go on to quest after quest after quest in order like I am now. It will probably change in the other difficulty levels and I look forward to them.

strikerhunter
Nov 21, 2013, 01:05 AM
I didn't post to say it was easy. I was posting to ask about the difficulty level, and yes I guess if I do missions and areas severely underleveled and undergeared it would pose a challenge, but it's sort of disappointing that that is the only way to experience a challenge set by the game, and not just a time attack where you are racing to see how fast you can facestomp mobs compared to others, if I catch the drift of the other posters that is.

If end game is too easy and I don't like it it's ok because it's F2P and I can always come back when new content is out. I have plenty of other games I can play but PSO was probably my favorite game of all time and the difficulty curve in that game (albeit partially due to less friendly controls, more limited attacks and the such) was fairly high. To the point where I had to grind levels and couldn't just go on to quest after quest after quest in order like I am now. It will probably change in the other difficulty levels and I look forward to them.

Oh, I wasn't directing to the OP or what you said I was more directing to the overall general topic of difficulty and ppl who keep complaining bout it being too easy (hint why I said there was an argument bout this before)

And yes, we all want better missions with more challenges rather than the normal genocide crap. TA is something, XQ is the right step but wrong approach, EQ i don't even want to say until I see that EQ in December, and AQ was actually something but with a wrong approach.

As I said in another thread, AIs needs improvements or we have more quests with variety of challenges.

spinner198
Nov 21, 2013, 01:10 AM
Another thing I notice is that in PSO you had to beat enemies to unlock doors to go into more rooms. But in PSO2 you can just skip all the unnecessary enemies and go straight from area 1 to area 2 to area 3 without engaging in any combat.

Hyetos
Nov 21, 2013, 01:49 AM
There -is- challenging content in this game, but it really depends. For one thing, you're not really going to find much of a challenge outside of bosses, although some of the more annoying darker mobs might occasionally give you a fright. For another thing, there are certain things in this game that remove a large part if not all level of the challenge from an ordeal, such as:

- being in a larger party

- being overgeared

- having anyone in your party using weak bullet at all

- playing gunner and possessing half a brain.

- playing force anything and not taking risks for damage, such as mostly sticking to blowing stuff up from range and relying on mirage escape.

Playing with one or more of these conditions will greatly reduce the difficulty you face. As to whether PSO2 is overall an easy game based on this, well, that's all relative anyway so I leave that up to you. If you want to challenge yourself however, trying to play a more risky play style like one of the melee classes or perhaps bow braver would suit you well. If you want to stay somewhat of a caster, a melee hu/te could be up your alley for more of a challenge. PSO2 isn't really a very difficult game if all you want to do is survive and clear missions by the bare minimum, but when you try to perfect your play and clear them as well as possible, it may be more interesting. There IS definitely an ongoing balance issue with PSO2 with player damage grossly outscaling enemies in general, but that mostly refers to when you're overgeared and highly leveled, and even then there are debatably ways to infuse some challenge in, like soloing.

This game will never be Vindictus, but there's absolutely challenging content in it. When you get to Tundra and try on Banther for size, let's see how that tickles ya.

SakoHaruo
Nov 21, 2013, 03:29 AM
I was going to say that PSO 2 is so easy it's beyond ridiculous but since I do not have the world record for solo TAs, I guess I can't say that. Despite being able to quickly destroy rooms filled with enemies in one or two hits and rarely getting hit myself, I am not the world's best player at Time Attacks therefore the game is challenging. >_>

of course the GAME is easy, that's why every game has a community of players trying to create something challenging for you to do once you hit the level cap. without the community keeping the game interesting I know I would have quit along time ago. I mean, what else is there for you to do when you log into PSO2? Do you just play dress up with your maxed gear character and talk to friends in game that you could communicate with outside of PSO2 using one of the many socal networking sites, right? I hear people say the game is easy and yet they still play it and they never participate in any of the hardcore content started by the community.

Also, if you play the game for fun (translation: I'm a casual) why are you bragging about destroying everything that appears in front of you? And, of course, once you finally attempt said content and achieve whatever goal you set for yourself, you'll be back to square one until Sega release new stuff.

Feliss
Nov 21, 2013, 04:48 AM
easy , just play Gu/Hu and faceroll everything.

Friyn
Nov 21, 2013, 05:27 AM
of course the GAME is easy, that's why every game has a community of players trying to create something challenging for you to do once you hit the level cap. without the community keeping the game interesting I know I would have quit along time ago. I mean, what else is there for you to do when you log into PSO2? Do you just play dress up with your maxed gear character and talk to friends in game that you could communicate with outside of PSO2 using one of the many socal networking sites, right? I hear people say the game is easy and yet they still play it and they never participate in any of the hardcore content started by the community.

Also, if you play the game for fun (translation: I'm a casual) why are you bragging about destroying everything that appears in front of you? And, of course, once you finally attempt said content and achieve whatever goal you set for yourself, you'll be back to square one until Sega release new stuff.

First of all I'd like to point out I'm not claiming to be a pro of any kind. I'm well aware of the fact I'm still pretty average player, but I believe I'm experienced enough to post my own opinion regarding this.

When playerbase has to resort to artificial difficulty i.e. dumping down your gear on purpose in order to achieve artificial challenge, it signals that there is definitely something wrong with the game.

I'm not going to go in depth with "gear progression" in PSO2, because that's not the issue I'm after here(but it is related). After all mid tier gear is obtainable within very reasonable period of time. If you've purchased premium, even getting near high-end gear is rather easy.

The most visible and one of the biggest issues in this game is power creep. Already with mid tier gear and average amount of skill one can rather easily push through the content PSO2 has to offer. There are other issues connected to this matter too, such as Weak Bullet. Also your class does matter, because there are clearly huge imbalances and gaps between all classes. Most of these were already mentioned before in other posts by different users.
At the moment monsters' HP pools cannot keep up with the damage. Even the strongest monsters can be brought down really fast. And under 'perfect' conditions said monsters can be killed within seconds with minimal efford. Boss AI and their variety of moves are very lacking. Only thing which seems to be about right, is monsters' damage in contrast to player HP pools.

I haven't really thought of any fixes. But I believe Weak Bullet should adressed ASAP. Maybe you should recieve full benefit from it only when your main class is Ranger. As in you'd only recieve a 20% damage increase, if you're not maining Ranger. Again, I haven't thought this through. It's very likely the aforementioned suggestion of mine has lots of holes.

Just my two cents.

GradationAir
Nov 21, 2013, 05:39 AM
The game is easy, it's casual, you don't need to be greatly geared to access the latest content, there are no million dollar award for first team clearing the newest raid (oh wait, there are no raids). But, isn't the casual element what's so enjoyable about PSO2? If you want something challenging, play Dragon Nest or Mabinogi Heroes and do the newest Raids without reading a guide.

I don't think BOSS AI are bad, at least I know many people can't consistently solo them without dying. They just become overwhelmed with a team of 4 or 12 people. Maybe MPA bosses should have their HP multiplied by the number of people present. Take Quartz for example, he even has some mix-ups with his nosepokes. Monster Hunter bosses doesn't have much more variety if at all, but still retains difficulty.

WB should be like +50% boost really. For rangers, just buff up their PAs a bit more.

WildarmsRE5
Nov 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
Maybe MPA bosses should have their HP multiplied by the number of people present. WB should be like +50% boost really. For rangers, just buff up their PAs a bit more.actually, it does. . . Titles on Bosses have effects on them.^^; (Ex: Org Blan's Title multiplies his HP by x4 to x8, its called Rough waves btw.)

Impact Slider was over buffed, buff more ra skills and they would become OP. (Diffuse shell too, but it deserves it, now its one of the mob cleaning PA on SH.) RA/HU also roflstomp mobs with GRANRODEO drive.^^

and oh, before you reprimand me, most MPA bosses have titles spawned with so. . . yeah. . . it's just not HP boost so. . . mhm I see your point. . .

Technically, there is a Raid, it's just called IR. I've been rewarded by doing an IR once, ONCE. . . and that was it. . .

jiasu73
Nov 21, 2013, 08:07 AM

TA is fun, only thing in the game that requires decent execution and coordination if you want to reach top times.Although while TA is "difficult" in the sense of competing for fastest times for TA/boss kills or w/e, it would be nice if there was content that offers reasonable difficulty, which does not relate to speed running/ speed killing.

WildarmsRE5
Nov 21, 2013, 08:36 AM
it would be nice if there was content that offers reasonable difficulty, which does not relate to speed running/ killing.that thing makes my mind go haywire:dead:. IF we won't kill anything, what the hell do we do? we just run like hell to the finish line and call that hard?^^

Bozhestvo
Nov 21, 2013, 08:42 AM
that thing makes my mind go haywire:dead:. IF we won't kill anything, what the hell do we do? we just run like hell to the finish line and call that hard?^^

I think he is referring to technicality. More complex and smarter enemy play styles would be nice, not just damage, health, and speed improvements. SH had some minor changes, but more or less it's they just do a shit ton of damage to annoy the fuck out of you.

jiasu73
Nov 21, 2013, 08:55 AM
Sorry i meant to write down speed killing.

Zenobia
Nov 21, 2013, 07:18 PM
that thing makes my mind go haywire:dead:. IF we won't kill anything, what the hell do we do? we just run like hell to the finish line and call that hard?^^

You missed her point completely you need decent amount knowledge of how TA works and decent gear to kill fast hence if you don't know the TA's and shortcuts therefore your time is cut which= Speed Running. If you don't have better gear you can't kill the enemies faster which = Speed killing. You also need knowledge of your own class and PA's and learning which PA's will help clear a certain room efficiently to cut your time drastically, I honestly don't see how you didn't get that.

easy , just play Gu/Hu and faceroll everything.

He said he wanted a challenge not to make it more easier which ofc wont happen anyway.

gigawuts
Nov 21, 2013, 07:22 PM

TAs are a bit like obstacle courses. The challenge is not going fast, the challenge is going the fastest route and going fast.

Reiketsu
Nov 21, 2013, 09:02 PM
I actually find this game too hard and unforgiving... especially when soloing... and especially when playing melee...

There is just so much bullshit going on that gets you killed so easily. Like... simply getting knocked down, because there aren't any invincibility frames during your getting-up-animation, so the enemy can easily finish the job and there is nothing you can do about it.

Or mates... The drinking animation takes just too fricking long. By the time it's over, the enemy has hit you again and already depleted your HP by the amount you just healed. I often find myself in the situation that I get hit and, because the next hit would kill me, I quickly try to heal myself, get hit during the drinking animation and have to heal again immediately. Until I run out of mates and die anyways.

There is shit coming at you from every direction, especially during Falz Arms. It's like fricking Touhou. I simply aren't able to see or dodge the Meteors or Lasers and shit which always come from behind.

On SH, even with good equipment, a lot of stuff can still One-Hit-KO you or at least take away like 90% of your HP >_>"

I guess I just suck too much at this kinda game. I keep dying a lot and I'm always getting my ass handed to me by every boss except Rockbear, lol
I don't even last longer than 10 seconds against SH Vol u_u"

I guess all of my problems would be resolved if I was just better at dodging.
Well, anyways... this game is super easy in a party, but when soloing (for me) it's frustrating beyond belief.

nanakatrin
Nov 21, 2013, 09:22 PM
This game's only challenge is the clock imo. How fast you can kill something to progress to something new. This game requires a strategy with PAs+Technics to make an efficient kill~

I don't feel that the difficulty in this game matters though. I play it mostly because of the awesome graphics/all the customizable options you have/the my room/matterboard(the pso2 story is awesome and you realize why everyone hates Afin)/my friends that I've met in-game! This mmorpg offers something that you don't get in most other games. Which is why I keep coming back.

Btw FIGHTER IS A STRONG CLASS. Like I'm a force and I feel very jelly when I'm charging up my technic and this fighter just K.O's it np. Personally I don't like DPS classes because of all that finger pressing..I feel sorry for my laptop's touchpad QQ.

Daiyousei
Nov 22, 2013, 11:43 AM
I actually find this game too hard and unforgiving... especially when soloing... and especially when playing melee...

There is just so much bullshit going on that gets you killed so easily. Like... simply getting knocked down, because there aren't any invincibility frames during your getting-up-animation, so the enemy can easily finish the job and there is nothing you can do about it.

Or mates... The drinking animation takes just too fricking long. By the time it's over, the enemy has hit you again and already depleted your HP by the amount you just healed. I often find myself in the situation that I get hit and, because the next hit would kill me, I quickly try to heal myself, get hit during the drinking animation and have to heal again immediately. Until I run out of mates and die anyways.

There is shit coming at you from every direction, especially during Falz Arms. It's like fricking Touhou. I simply aren't able to see or dodge the Meteors or Lasers and shit which always come from behind.

On SH, even with good equipment, a lot of stuff can still One-Hit-KO you or at least take away like 90% of your HP >_>"

I guess I just suck too much at this kinda game. I keep dying a lot and I'm always getting my ass handed to me by every boss except Rockbear, lol
I don't even last longer than 10 seconds against SH Vol u_u"

I guess all of my problems would be resolved if I was just better at dodging.
Well, anyways... this game is super easy in a party, but when soloing (for me) it's frustrating beyond belief.

Pretty much this for me as well, and the AI doing their own thing than what people tell me they usually do, it seems the AI always has their own way of acting around me.

Tenlade
Nov 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
This game has a broken difficulty system.
With 4 players, forces with infinite healing, and 5 revives each, It's nearly impossible to lose. to counteract this in sh, bosses have huge pools of health, can instakill even players with maxed out gear at level cap, and in some cases move fast as hell.

It's like they looked at dark souls gameplay and decided dying=difficulty so dying multiple times=more difficulty! Unfortunately dying isnt challenging if someone just can revive you/heal you infinitely with no penalty, its just tedious.

Also single players cant revive outside of scape/half dolls so all this instakill shit turns solo play into one-mistake-kills-you nightmare boss fights that would make monster hunter blush.

gigawuts
Nov 22, 2013, 12:55 PM
That's a big part of why I find MH easier, yes. MH handles solo play much, much better, and it's impossible to die by 1 in a million 6shot juggle bullshit hits because you get invuln frames while tumbling and flinching.

Zyrusticae
Nov 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah, the game's inconsistent difficulty is a big issue. There needs to be more of a middle ground between solo nightmare bullshit and tedious chain-revive party play.

The soloing wouldn't even be as much of an issue if it weren't for the fact that ONLY returning to the camp ship will reduce your rank and/or fail the mission (if you return from a boss fight), and nothing else.

RenVortex
Nov 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
The game is easy, it's casual, you don't need to be greatly geared to access the latest content, there are no million dollar award for first team clearing the newest raid (oh wait, there are no raids). But, isn't the casual element what's so enjoyable about PSO2? If you want something challenging, play Dragon Nest or Mabinogi Heroes.

If you REALLY want to put yourself through the meat grinder, try the original Mabinogi on Generations 10 and 11. That game will brutalize you every chance it gets.

I wholeheartedly agree though, PSO2 doesn't require you crunching numbers and carefully selecting and acquiring your gear to be successful (Although it's not stupidly easy either, you do require half a brain to play). Sometime down the line Sega will probably push to make the game more difficult by beefing up the monsters so they'll actually get an attack off or two on you.

Another reason why it might be so easy (and probably why I like the game so much) is because you are in almost complete control.

Back in the older days of MMOs, once an enemy started their attacking animation, it was pretty much a done deal that you were going to lose health. No amount of strafing or stepping back could change that.
In MMOs like PSO2 where it's more action oriented, you do have control to an extent over whether you take damage or not. Dodging reflex and player positioning play key roles in this game, where only if the enemy's attack actually physically connects with your player model if you aren't in a dodging invincible state will you drink down those red numbers.

Of course, because the enemies have paper think skin and hit like a wet pool noodle, I guess none of that really matters anyway xD
So in conclusion, beef up the monsters, create better A.I for them (and partner characters!) and bring the game to the West. OH WAIT.

Kondibon
Nov 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
If you REALLY want to put yourself through the meat grinder, try the original Mabinogi on Generations 10 and 11. That game will brutalize you every chance it gets.
As an avid player of Mabinogi I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this if only because it's not even an action mmo. You can't really compare it. x:

To be honest, I think most of the people who say there's no difficulty just got used to the game are used to harder games, or just aren't that high leveled. PSO2 is no DMC but it does have a learning curve. It's just that it takes until SH for anything to change significantly, which is bared behind levels. Whereas, using DMC as an example, you can skip straight to the second hardest difficulty then unlock Dante Must Die, where all the enemies have changed AIs and attacks (hint hint sega gawd) adding a new layer of challenge on top of just taking more damage. Meanwhile in PSO2 you have to grind for 50 levels just to get to that point, and another 5 levels just to get decent exp from it. So yeah, people have all the time in the world to get REALLY good at the game.

Emmie
Nov 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
I agree, there is a world of difference in difficulty between soloing as a melee, and playing a force in a 12 person MPA. How you perceive the difficulty in this game will depend on how you play the game and the situation you're in.

RenVortex
Nov 22, 2013, 03:48 PM
As an avid player of Mabinogi I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this if only because it's not even an action mmo. You can't really compare it. x:

Wizardry Online then :x

Omega-z
Nov 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
If you want to speed run through things and get a better chance of drops - Play cookie-cutter builds with ppl.

If you you want a Challenge with better balance - Play solo and casual like with more focus on Def.

I actually don't have the problem of the "die by 1 in a million 6shot juggle bullshit hits because you don't get invulnerable frames while tumbling and flinching." thing at all "Unless" it is a cookie-cutter build in which you have to do way more dodging for. But yeah I can take in 1K+ hits from SH and turn them into 150~280 with mid-tier gear ( this is all attacks S/R/T - atk by the way). If I had better gear it would be even lower and I would have even more HP too. It does make fights longer but not that long tho too.

Xaelouse
Nov 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
I agree, there is a world of difference in difficulty between soloing as a melee, and playing a force in a 12 person MPA. How you perceive the difficulty in this game will depend on how you play the game and the situation you're in.

just about this. Your class and more specifically the weapon you're using will determine the difficulty of bosses.

Zyrusticae
Nov 22, 2013, 04:35 PM
EVERYTHING is easy in a 12-person MPA. Class balance barely even enters the equation when you have that many players in one place just smacking the shit out of everything.

TBH, Forces and Techers are really quite difficult to use against bosses unless you go full-on Sazan spam. Unlike the other classes, they get to deal with charge times for everything, in addition to having a finicky dodge and shitty single-target DPS (they have NOTHING that can compare to Backhand Smash, Hatou Rindou, Homing Emission, [insert Gunner PA here], Kamikaze Arrow/Master Shot, or [insert Hunter PA here]).

I barely even play my Fo/Te anymore, because she simply can't compare to my other characters. She takes an eternity to kill things next to them, especially the Br/Hu who can one- or two-shot entire crowds of enemies in seconds. It's quite sad.

Though this is kind of off-topic I guess, the game's still pretty easy either way as long as you're in a party.

Tenlade
Nov 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
playing techer/hunter, I can kill stuff pretty well with Namegid on bosses....If the boss lets me stand around for 6 seconds charging it first and nothing hits me during that time.

suffice to say, getting quartz dragon on my bingo card solo wasnt fun, and bal rhodes was flat out impossible.

Omega-z
Nov 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
^Tenlade as a Techer/Hunter fighting Quartz just takes timing of his attacks. For Bal Rhodes use the ship guns and Na-Megid combo with a Sword which is do-able Solo'ing also.

The Walrus
Nov 22, 2013, 10:31 PM
But Bal Rodos is one of the easiest bosses...

strikerhunter
Nov 22, 2013, 10:59 PM

Right after rock.

Zenobia
Nov 22, 2013, 11:07 PM
Right after rock.

Nah Biol Meduna took Rockbears place.....

strikerhunter
Nov 22, 2013, 11:17 PM
Nah Biol Meduna took Rockbears place.....

Never fought the boss solo, only grouped but already he's way too easy.

Know what, if Sega can't add in something to improve difficulty, why not allow multiple bosses be in the at the same time not counting the mid-ways currently. Meduna calling on a horde of Orga or Big Vardha summoning a mizer through a platform from his ship.

IMO, something needs to be added into boss fights to make the fight interesting. (no, regular mobs does not count)

Zenobia
Nov 22, 2013, 11:19 PM
Never fought the boss solo, only grouped but already he's way too easy.

Know what, if Sega can't add in something to improve difficulty, why not allow multiple bosses be in the at the same time not counting the mid-ways currently. Meduna calling on a horde of Orga or Big Vardha summoning a mizer through a platform from his ship.

IMO, something needs to be added into boss fights to make the fight interesting. (no, regular mobs does not count)

Its a she if you ever heard the bosses death cry.

What they need to do is makes the bosses like DN bosses where you must approach them in a different way and they require a certain degree of mechanics to kill them.

Also dem rewards at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzARkDCJjwo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzARkDCJjwo

strikerhunter
Nov 22, 2013, 11:22 PM
Its a she if you ever heard the bosses death cry.

What they need to do is makes the bosses like DN bosses where you feel the challenge.

Always have music on and the lovely sounds of my Yas mutes off her death cry.

Zenobia
Nov 22, 2013, 11:27 PM
Always have music on and the lovely sounds of my Yas mutes off her death cry.

I don't play PSO2 music but I keep the sound effects.

Krimson
Nov 23, 2013, 03:28 AM
Pso2 game play is a bit easy I'm Gu/Hu, Ra/Hu or Hu/Fi almost always running Vh/Sh and am basically playing to level up and buy stuffs at this pt, my fun is more in building my characters.

Tbh game play has it's moments but that alone wouldn't keep me.

Tenlade
Nov 23, 2013, 11:26 AM

The thing just has way to much health in super hard solo, especially if you're relying on the turret for damage,and god help you if its boosted by a darker core in which case prepare for a half hour fight. my last solo run got finished off 10 minutes in because my 3 npc partners didnt decide to smack the hermit crabs and one knocked me out of the harpoon turret right before Rodos charged me, killing me instantly.

Kikikiki
Nov 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
relying on the turret for damage

Why would you do this.

strikerhunter
Nov 23, 2013, 12:02 PM
The thing just has way to much health in super hard solo, especially if you're relying on the turret for damage,and god help you if its boosted by a darker core in which case prepare for a half hour fight. my last solo run got finished off 10 minutes in because my 3 npc partners didnt decide to smack the hermit crabs and one knocked me out of the harpoon turret right before Rodos charged me, killing me instantly.

1 good harpoon or 2 is more than enough time to kill him if aim for the tongue.

Why would you do this.
Because someone has horrible aiming with the harpoon *stares*

my fun is more in building my characters.

^ This. I also find it more fun being handicap or squishy.

Vashyron
Nov 23, 2013, 12:23 PM
Without adding my own wall of text, personally I find it laughably easy. I'm not one to find enjoyment from the challenges of speed running in this game's environment of equipment mattering, unlike the case of fairly designed TA based games which are generally racing games. Neither am I a fan of Handicapping myself if I want a "challenge" in almost all games, up to a point. I do consider Soloing a massive handicap in this game, but I can admit I had some fun soloing bosses.

Otherwise I think this guy said it well already:
This game has a broken difficulty system.
With 4 players, forces with infinite healing, and 5 revives each, It's nearly impossible to lose. to counteract this in sh, bosses have huge pools of health, can instakill even players with maxed out gear at level cap, and in some cases move fast as hell.

It's like they looked at dark souls gameplay and decided dying=difficulty so dying multiple times=more difficulty! Unfortunately dying isnt challenging if someone just can revive you/heal you infinitely with no penalty, its just tedious.

Also single players cant revive outside of scape/half dolls so all this instakill shit turns solo play into one-mistake-kills-you nightmare boss fights that would make monster hunter blush.

----

Don't bring NPCs. It stays down for longer when harpooned with less people/NPCs.

(That is if that hasn't changed since I last fought it some updates back.)

Skyly HUmar
Nov 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
The game's tough, if you solo everything when you're ten levels underleveled and undergeared.

That accounts for most of my playtime right there.

Bullshit, i solo'd lv 40 fang banthers as a lv 20 fighter before subclasses came out and it wasnt very hard..... i got 0 exp though

symphdrax
Nov 23, 2013, 01:17 PM
Bullshit, i solo'd lv 40 fang banthers as a lv 20 fighter before subclasses came out and it wasnt very hard..... i got 0 exp though

i bet it took an unreasonable amount of time to do that

which, in my book, i would call tough

Skyly HUmar
Nov 23, 2013, 01:19 PM
i bet it took an unreasonable amount of time to do that

which, in my book, i would call tough

Time doesnt make something harder, it just makes it more tedious. No matter how long you are at it for, easy is still easy.

Reiketsu
Nov 23, 2013, 01:42 PM
It still depends on the individual, how good they are and how much time they are willing to spend to become really good at this game. And even then, after hundreds of hours of play time, I still can't beat banthers solo, even when I'm the same level as them.
Because this game punishes every tiny mistake with the death penalty.

Emp
Nov 23, 2013, 02:12 PM
It still depends on the individual, how good they are and how much time they are willing to spend to become really good at this game. And even then, after hundreds of hours of play time, I still can't beat banthers solo, even when I'm the same level as them.

Must be how u play that is affecting ur ability to solo. All gu needs to is infinity fire all there parts then kill em. Other classes besides fo and te, should try to position themselves with a good ds, or ds em with deadly archer. A good positioned add bullet auto hits the other 3 paws.

holmwood
Nov 23, 2013, 02:18 PM

Practice at lower difficulty and use strike-def until you can dodge effectively.
You'll just have to keep dying until you learn the enemy AI. And trust me, I died ALOT...
It's really not that hard compared to console games. :-?

Emp
Nov 23, 2013, 02:26 PM
Practice at lower difficulty and use strike-def until you can dodge effectively.
You'll just have to keep dying until you learn the enemy AI. And trust me, I died ALOT...
It's really not that hard compared to console games. :-?

Try learning the AI on the vita version. Its hard.

symphdrax
Nov 23, 2013, 05:45 PM
Time doesnt make something harder, it just makes it more tedious. No matter how long you are at it for, easy is still easy.

considering the level difference, you were probably at risk of being one-shotted. you had to spend much more time on the boss than someone at a higher level due to the threat of dying in 1 hit being much less, so they were able to be more aggressive

its not that you dont make a good point, tedious =/= hard all the time, but in your situation due to you gimping yourself before hand the battle was challenging because you had to take your time

Emp
Nov 23, 2013, 05:50 PM
considering the level difference, you were probably at risk of being one-shotted. you had to spend much more time on the boss than someone at a higher level due to the threat of dying in 1 hit being much less, so they were able to be more aggressive

its not that you dont make a good point, tedious =/= hard all the time, but in your situation due to you gimping yourself before hand the battle was challenging because you had to take your time

Everything you just said was obvious, you didnt need to post.

gigawuts
Nov 23, 2013, 05:51 PM
Everything you just said was obvious, you didnt need to post.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2DBYr_Z1hfg/TzQEMQoSCpI/AAAAAAAAC7U/adKEI54v0zY/s320/IronyMeter1.gif

But seriously that post is even less warranted.

Skyly HUmar
Nov 23, 2013, 06:29 PM

I wasnt gimping myself, fighter had just come out so i wasnt leveled and i wanted to see if i could, it was all in the name of science! i mean fun lol. And i was playing just as aggressive as i usually did, the only reason it took longer was because i was barley breaking 150 per hit, not out of being cautious or scared to be 1 shot.